Author Topic: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...  (Read 1309142 times)

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
Re: So Let's Speculate about the Future of a Full Trump Presidency...
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »
This forum looks like it has been around awhile.  Is there an equivalent Obama thread?

Search box is at the top of the page. Happy hunting!

Did that.  Only thread that comes up is this thread.  I think you're being disingenuous

Obama was elected in 2008. MMM has only been around since 2011. You can do the Math I am sure ( :

So the forum just ignored the other five years?  Just asking,

What would there have been to talk about? In Barrack Omaha's first year the PPACA was passed then basically nothing happened. He chose to do basically nothing for large swaths of it. He'll be relegated as a footnote beside Coolidge.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »
Trumps fly to Texas wearing an obviously brand new '45, USA' hat and 'FLOTUS' gear, have superficial talks with people doing the real work (awesome work governor Greg Abbott, Mayor Sylvester Turner), then disappear off the radar?  Do they think Houstonians live in Walt Disney World?  Is looking at a disaster area so much work that they need another vacation?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2017, 05:51:40 AM »
This forum looks like it has been around awhile.  Is there an equivalent Obama thread?

Did that.  Only thread that comes up is this thread.  I think you're being disingenuous

Obama was elected in 2008. MMM has only been around since 2011. You can do the Math I am sure ( :

What would there have been to talk about? In Barrack Omaha's first year the PPACA was passed then basically nothing happened. He chose to do basically nothing for large swaths of it. He'll be relegated as a footnote beside Coolidge.

Huh. That's funny, because I remember at the time how Republicans and conservatives were losing their minds over all the dictatorial overreach, how he was destroying our country, and how it would take decades to undo all the damage he had done destroying basically every industry in the United States.

Good to know that was all bullshit.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:53:18 AM by Kris »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2017, 07:05:52 AM »

Again key word is "speculate." If you think Obama did nothing after the ACA, you are indirectly insulting huge swaths of the population including veterans like myself who benefited from things like passage of the Post 9/11 GI Bill. And passage of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act to help combat pay discrimination against women. I could go on, but what's the point? You clearly see what you want to see.  And it's getting way off topic. Feel free to start your own thread discussing of all of Obama's "non" accomplishments. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:32:25 AM by MasterStache »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
The fact that people feel this way reminds me of one of his better qualities - he was boring. Not as a person necessarily but as a politician he never caused a lot of fuss. Things happened. Maybe not as much as could've been done under different circumstances and maybe not all things I agreed with but I fear with the way we view politics now we may never elect a boring president again. I already hear people talking about who they want to run next and it's a bunch of celebrities. It's like if you don't already have some name recognition before the campaign you got no chance.

We complain that politicians make empty promises during the campaign and don't follow through but if they didn't, we wouldn't vote for them. Trump and frankly most politicians know that the way to get elected is to call the other guy an idiot and then describe how easy it will be to fix everything. This is exciting. Hell, even Obama did it during the campaign. Promises of radical change, a new world. But we don't need a new world, this one is freakin great. The perception of our citizens may not agree but within our community we are more aware than most of the opportunity available, even if you're making minimum wage you can get by and have most of our modern luxuries.

Point is a boring politician is a good politician. Slow incremental change is the only way we'll ever know what works and what doesn't. If we make sweeping changes every 4-8 years we'll never get a chance to see the results of our experiment, too many variables. I believe MMM once recommended we need more engineers, scientists and philosophers in politics. I couldn't agree more. Preferably boring ones.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2017, 09:22:01 AM »
^Disagree on the minimum wage part.  Full-time work @ $10/hr is $20,000 pre-tax.  That is below the poverty line.  You can survive on that type of salary with some mustachianism, but you almost certainly won't have any "extra" money to invest or save for retirement.

Let's remember in January '09 we were in a free-fall recession with massive job losses, massive losses in the stock market, housing market, etc. etc.  Gays and lesbians could not legally marry or be "out" and serve in the military.  Osama bin Laden was still at large.  On and on.  #44 got a LOT done and turned around in 8 years.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »
Sigh.  I haven't had to whip this one out in a while:

http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

Meanwhile, the reason people are speculating about Trump is the same reason we would breathlessly wonder if your neighbor's blowhard racist uncle could perform open heart surgery, but we wouldn't have the same concerns about a trained surgeon.  Most of us would have chosen the actual surgeon to do the surgery, but a huge swath of our country wanted the blowhard racist uncle (what the hell do those doctors know).  We are now just watching the residents and nurses running around the OR stalling or doing the work but pretending the blowhard uncle did it so he doesn't get pissed and take a dump in the chest cavity.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »

Who cares what hats they are wearing?  People are always looking for something negative to say about their president.

1. I was not talking about his hat. Read again my post. I wrote about FLOTUS hat.

No need to read your post again.  I didn't quote you and was not responding to a single post but rather commenting on the the various comments I've been reading here and elsewhere about the "hats" that they were wearing.   Instead of focusing on the serious news, they are just looking for something negative to say about the president.  I don't care about their hats.  There are much more serious issues at stake here than their fucking hats.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:17:48 AM by GenXbiker »

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2017, 10:03:43 AM »

Thank God is he it out of there now!

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2017, 10:14:15 AM »
^Disagree on the minimum wage part.  Full-time work @ $10/hr is $20,000 pre-tax.  That is below the poverty line.  You can survive on that type of salary with some mustachianism, but you almost certainly won't have any "extra" money to invest or save for retirement.
I didn't mention actually saving for retirement but even so it is possible according to the math. I realize many people making minimum wage have other limitations such as taking care of others or lack of education but technically it is very possible. I've done the math and I could save about $3,000/year if I cut out restaurants/alcohol and left the rest of my spending in place. There are other things I could cut as well.

Don't want to get too far off topic, there are other threads discussing living on minimum wage.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2017, 10:33:09 AM »
No need to read your post again.  I didn't quote you and was not responding to a single post but rather commenting on the the various comments I've been reading about here and elsewhere about the "hats" that they were wearing.   Instead of focusing on the serious news, they are just looking for something negative to say about the president.  I don't care about their hats.  There are much more serious issues at stake here than their fucking hats.
Again, the issue isn't about clothing. It's about abusing the position of the presidency for personal gain and the added sliminess due to the timing and getting extra photo opps after a natural disaster.

Your positions suggest you either aren't reading other people's comments or you aren't understanding them.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »
The hat thing: Of course the media and others are going to jump on anything/everything they can. At the same time, it was decidedly weird and could be expected to generate commentary. Wearing a hat you're selling is bad form for POTUS, but what is to be expected of this Shiller-in-Chief (besides looking ridiculous on his head IMO). The FLOTUS hat looked great on her, but was self-centered -- was there any chance someone wouldn't realize who she was??? It reminded me of Mnuchin's wife, who caused a well-deserved social media shit-storm from her obnoxious flouting of wealth stepping off a government plane and then demeaning with an unprecedented level of privilege and obnoxiousness a citizen who called her out on it .

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2017, 12:59:50 PM »
No need to read your post again.  I didn't quote you and was not responding to a single post but rather commenting on the the various comments I've been reading about here and elsewhere about the "hats" that they were wearing.   Instead of focusing on the serious news, they are just looking for something negative to say about the president.  I don't care about their hats.  There are much more serious issues at stake here than their fucking hats.
Again, the issue isn't about clothing.

Your positions suggest you either aren't reading other people's comments or you aren't understanding them.

I read them, but clearly my comments aren't being read or understood since I keep having to repeat them.  I don't care about the hats.  There are much more serious issues at stake.  There are a lot of people suffering, and people keep talking about hats, of all things.

The hat thing: Of course the media and others are going to jump on anything/everything they can.

Yes, keep talking about hats.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:01:55 PM by GenXbiker »

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2017, 01:06:47 PM »
I don't care about the hats.  There are much more serious issues at stake.  There are a lot of people suffering, and people keep talking about hats, of all things.

Like exploiting the tragedy of a natural disaster and using the position of POTUS to make a profit?

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
I don't care about the hats.  There are much more serious issues at stake.  There are a lot of people suffering, and people keep talking about hats, of all things.

Like exploiting the tragedy of a natural disaster and using the position of POTUS to make a profit?

Or congratulating each other on a job well done when clearly there are thousands of people still need to be rescued...

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »

Or congratulating each other on a job well done when clearly there are thousands of people still need to be rescued...

Or never actually mentioning the victims or expressing any sympathy for families of the people who lost their lives or the hundreds of thousands who lost their livelihoods...

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
All of the above sounds like red-meat dished out by the 24 hours outrage cycle. Slamming Trump over FEMA cuts or not appointing a FEMA chief is a legitimate gripe. Slamming Trump because his speech isn't somber enough strikes me as weird and BEC.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2017, 02:34:25 PM »
^So more like:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/30/16228592/congress-fema-wall-harvey

Republicans in Congress are reportedly moving to slash funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency just as FEMA goes to work rebuilding Houston and the Texas coast from Hurricane Harvey.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/29/16214558/trump-federal-standards-infrastructure-projects

Trump rolled back federal standards to flood-proof infrastructure projects a few weeks before Harvey hit

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »
All of the above sounds like red-meat dished out by the 24 hours outrage cycle. Slamming Trump over FEMA cuts or not appointing a FEMA chief is a legitimate gripe. Slamming Trump because his speech isn't somber enough strikes me as weird and BEC.

Any president who said what he did would have been slammed like hell for that, though.

Presidents' speeches at somber times get scrutinized closely. Because the president is in part supposed to be the one who we turn to for consolation and strength. Pretty much every president understands that. Except for this one, it seems.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2017, 03:14:16 PM »

Any president who said what he did would have been slammed like hell for that, though.

Presidents' speeches at somber times get scrutinized closely. Because the president is in part supposed to be the one who we turn to for consolation and strength. Pretty much every president understands that. Except for this one, it seems.

EXACTLY!!!

Just to be clear: Any president/head of state/prime minister etc etc who said what he did would have been slammed like hell for that, though.

This apply to pretty much any country in the world, except perhaps North Korea and a few other isolated places.

Got nothing to do with being Republican or Democrat or whatever party/believes you are in.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2017, 03:28:19 PM »

Presidents shouldn't be healers-in-chief and I don't expect them to be. I expect them to execute laws, suppress rebellions, and bomb foreign armies, on a as needed basis.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »

Presidents shouldn't be healers-in-chief and I don't expect them to be. I expect them to execute laws, suppress rebellions, and bomb foreign armies, on a as needed basis.

Presidents have always been expected to be healers-in-chief. Whether you personally expect it or not.

After something like 9/11, it would be hard to argue such a role wasn't necessary. GW Bush did a good and important job of that. The nation needed it, and he delivered.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2017, 05:24:42 PM »

Presidents have always been expected to be healers-in-chief. Whether you personally expect it or not.

After something like 9/11, it would be hard to argue such a role wasn't necessary. GW Bush did a good and important job of that. The nation needed it, and he delivered.

President Bush in New York, right after 9/11, giving an un-planned speech with the bullhorn while surveying the damage - that still gives me the chills. I thought he did exactly what the nation needed to hear. I am sure you can find it on youtube if do not know what I am talking about.

Compare that to what this president said in Houston...

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »
It suspect a liberal praising GWB (Kris at least, not to speak for you sequoia since I'm not sure) broke a few brains. A lot of conservatives seem to think people are being disingenuous when they say they would rather have a third term of GWB than our current POTUS and/or that he was both way more effective and presidential than Trump. Spoiler alert: they're not.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:32:36 PM by Lagom »

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
It suspect a liberal praising GWB (Kris at least, not to speak for you sequoia since I'm not sure) broke a few brains. A lot of conservatives seem to think people are being disingenuous when they say they would rather have a third term of GWB

Most probably couldn't care less what liberals think.  It's pretty much irrelevant, because, "spoiler alert", Bush is history, and we have more than 3 years left of President Trump.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:59:11 PM by GenXbiker »

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2017, 08:15:30 PM »

For those who were complaining about Trump making some small coin selling hats, how about this?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08/31/president-trump-is-pledging-1-million-personal-money-to-harvey-victims-wh.html

"President Trump has pledged $1 million of his personal money to aid victims of Hurricane Harvey in both Texas and Louisiana, the White House said Thursday."

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2017, 08:27:41 PM »

For those who were complaining about Trump making some small coin selling hats, how about this?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08/31/president-trump-is-pledging-1-million-personal-money-to-harvey-victims-wh.html

"President Trump has pledged $1 million of his personal money to aid victims of Hurricane Harvey in both Texas and Louisiana, the White House said Thursday."
Given his history, I'll believe when the money is actually received by a charity, not when he has pledged it"

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2017, 08:49:24 PM »
It suspect a liberal praising GWB (Kris at least, not to speak for you sequoia since I'm not sure) broke a few brains. A lot of conservatives seem to think people are being disingenuous when they say they would rather have a third term of GWB

Most probably couldn't care less what liberals think.  It's pretty much irrelevant, because, "spoiler alert", Bush is history, and we have more than 3 years left of President Trump.  Enjoy!

Please, you know very well that quite a few Trumpists claim the Democrats/liberal media, etc., are all so UNFAIR (wah wah) to Trump solely because they are incapable of agreeing with the actions of a "conservative" like him. Regardless, I'm also aware Trumpists relish annoying liberals more than probably anything else. I suspect you will very much enjoy the next three years at least, so grats. PS - I'm not a liberal.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:53:49 PM by Lagom »

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: September 01, 2017, 12:19:01 AM »

Given his history, I'll believe when the money is actually received by a charity, not when he has pledged it"

Exactly. I had pledged 1 billion dollars. Does that count as charity? Can I get a tax write-off?

There is a different between pledge and give, in case there is confusion. I do not see anyone else announce it that I have pledge... lmao

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: September 01, 2017, 05:53:51 AM »

Please, you know very well that quite a few Trumpists claim the Democrats/liberal media, etc., are all so UNFAIR (wah wah) to Trump solely because they are incapable of agreeing with the actions of a "conservative" like him. Regardless, I'm also aware Trumpists relish annoying liberals more than probably anything else. I suspect you will very much enjoy the next three years at least, so grats. PS - I'm not a liberal.

Yep. I can't believe how important "pissing off liberals" has become. At this point in his presidency those left still defending him would have a tough sell claiming it was because of policy. Seems like it's been whittled down to a mixture of staunch racist and/or folks who love seeing liberals get upset.

As far as Trump pledging money, great I hope he follows through. Although it's a drop in the bucket considering the proposed WH budget cuts drastically into disaster relief programs. $667 million from FEMA, $62 million from the national weather service, and $190 million from the National flood insurance program. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:32:47 AM by MasterStache »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2017, 07:20:19 AM »

Literally all that Trump supporters care about is pissing off liberals. Trump could completely destroy the country, and they'd be fine with it as long as liberals were angry about it.

That's all anyone needs to know to understand a Trump supporter anymore. I wish I was exaggerating.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2017, 07:24:42 AM »

Literally all that Trump supporters care about is pissing off liberals. Trump could completely destroy the country, and they'd be fine with it as long as liberals were angry about it.

That's all anyone needs to know to understand a Trump supporter anymore. I wish I was exaggerating.

To be fair to Trump supporters, that's only a partial story.  A good number of them are simply hard core racists.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2017, 07:28:44 AM »

This isn't 9/11, it's a natural disaster. Throwing out national speeches every time a metro area has a disaster of some kind doesn't strengthen the office, it demeans the office and infantilizes the people. We didn't need any national speeches after Sandy Hook, Dylan Roof, Charlottesville, etc. either.

If we seriously need national healing every time the 24 hour news cycle finds another heart-tugging headline, the 19th century reactionaries are right and Enlightenment was a mistake.

You're obviously exaggerating because no one wants to see the nation destroyed, but, yeah, a lot of people just want to stick it to liberals. It's a hyper-partisan country.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2017, 07:31:28 AM »

This isn't 9/11, it's a natural disaster. Throwing out national speeches every time a metro area has a disaster of some kind doesn't strengthen the office, it demeans the office and infantilizes the people. We didn't need any national speeches after Sandy Hook, Dylan Roof, Charlottesville, etc. either.

If we seriously need national healing every time the 24 hour news cycle finds another heart-tugging headline, the 19th century reactionaries are right and Enlightenment was a mistake.

You're obviously exaggerating because no one wants to see the nation destroyed, but, yeah, a lot of people just want to stick it to liberals. It's a hyper-partisan country.

Sorry. I've had enough Trump supporters salivating and licking their lips as they tell me about the coming civil war and what will happen to me and mine to know better.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »
Question: Do any of the half dozen or so apparent trump supporters on this thread have any actual opinions or speculation on the direction of the trump presidency to share?

Threads of this ilk follow a depressingly predictable pattern. Namely, the thread starts with a bunch of the liberally minded wringing their hands over all the horrible damage trump will do to America (often to the point of hyperbole). Then, after a few pages, the trump supporters come out, eager not to provide alternative viewpoints but, to "drink liberal tears" by hijacking the thread with a bunch of illogical rhetoric.

So far the trump supporters on this thread have been playing to type - disingenuous, off topic comments about Obama, digressions about how Antifa is "just as bad" as white supremacists, complaints about the media, plus a healthy serving of "cry more, we won!" dick waggling.

I'll look back through the thread but, I'm struggling to recall any post that posits a positive outlook on the next 3 years.

So. Here's your chance to prove my preconceptions wrong. Trump supporters - any real speculation to share?

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2017, 09:52:32 AM »
Wait, I found two positive takes.

GenXBiker said something to the effect of, "Didn't vote for him but, now we're stuck with him so no use worrying" and Acroy showed up to deliver his usual drive by "I love it because I got mine so screw everyone else."

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »

That is lovely, but for what it is worth, he offered 5 million for Obama's birth certificate.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »

That is lovely, but for what it is worth, he offered 5 million for Obama's birth certificate.

Obama's birth certificate is worth $4 million more than helping Harvey victims.

#TrumpMath

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2017, 10:54:17 AM »
I can't believe how important "pissing off liberals" has become.

It's pretty much the sole remaining plank in the Republican platform. It's sad to see a party sink so low.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »
off topic comments about Obama, digressions about how Antifa is "just as bad"
Yeah, we just had two more of those off topic comments about Obama's birth certificate which have nothing to do with Trump donating $1,000,000 of his personal money to help Harvey victims.   That's probably about 1,000,000 times what those whiners are donating.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #190 on: September 01, 2017, 11:48:14 AM »

I'm hearing the exact opposite.  The liberals gloat about anything negative as an excuse to criticize President Trump.  I remember during the election how giddy the liberals were getting when early indications were the stock market was going to drop - blaming it on Trump.  Then suddenly, the stock market takes off on a bull run, but they don't give him credit for that, only anything negative they can spin up.  Trump denounced racism and white supremacists, but most liberals just filtered that out of their minds as if they never heard it, and instead, twisted other comments he made.  Liberals are always looking for the negative, and never give credit for the positive things.  If something terrible happens, the liberals will be all too happy as they will have a chance to blame something else on President Trump.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2017, 11:50:28 AM »

Sorry. I've had enough Trump supporters salivating and licking their lips as they tell me about the coming civil war and what will happen to me and mine to know better.

Sorry you have to deal with that crap. Wishing for a civil war is pants-on-head stupid. The whole point of functional democratic governments is to specifically avoid that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2017, 11:51:11 AM »
Yeah, we just had two more of those off topic comments about Obama's birth certificate which have nothing to do with Trump donating $1,000,000 of his personal money to help Harvey victims.   That's probably about 1,000,000 times what those whiners are donating.

Trump does have a long history of lying about charitable donations:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-promised-millions-to-charity-we-found-less-than-10000-over-7-years/2016/06/28/cbab5d1a-37dd-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html?utm_term=.4a17ddbd14c6 .  Given his history, is it reasonable to expect people to believe him this time?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2017, 12:07:48 PM »

Trump does have a long history of lying about charitable donations:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-promised-millions-to-charity-we-found-less-than-10000-over-7-years/2016/06/28/cbab5d1a-37dd-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html?utm_term=.4a17ddbd14c6 .  Given his history, is it reasonable to expect people to believe him this time?

Right. Because he doesn't have to. He can just say he's going to do it, and then do nothing. The people who already support him will point to his "pledge" and ignore the rest. The people who point out that he pledges stuff all the time and doesn't deliver don't matter, because Trump's supporters will just be happy that Trump has pissed off the liberals yet again. Because that is literally all they care about.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: September 01, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »
I'm hearing the exact opposite.  The liberals gloat about anything negative as an excuse to criticize President Trump.  I remember during the election how giddy the liberals were getting when early indications were the stock market was going to drop - blaming it on Trump.  Then suddenly, the stock market takes off on a bull run, but they don't give him credit for that, only anything negative they can spin up.  Trump denounced racism and white supremacists, but most liberals just filtered that out of their minds as if they never heard it, and instead, twisted other comments he made.  Liberals are always looking for the negative, and never give credit for the positive things.  If something terrible happens, the liberals will be all too happy as they will have a chance to blame something else on President Trump.

So basically what Faux News did for 8 years of Obama?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #195 on: September 01, 2017, 12:13:21 PM »
This is a thread about Trump. I think his offering 5 million for a birth certificate is on topic as it says something about his character. He views money as a weapon or a way to get what you want, even if it's not for sale.

Personally I don't think comments about Obama are necessarily off topic either as long as he comes up in the discussion. If someone brings him up just to say "Don't blame Trump, Obama was worse" then it's probably off topic.

To Gondolin's point it really would be nice if Trump supporters (or those who think he's not all that bad) would offer their reasoning rather than just deflecting criticisms and attacking the small points in a list of many grievances. I don't participate in these threads so that we can get together and hate on Trump, I really want to discuss what's going on and why it matters because this forum is the closest thing to intelligent discussion of current politics I can get.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #196 on: September 01, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »

I certainly didn't mean to take anything off topic (and I don't think I did). I was simply responding to your question "how about this?"

It was not impressive to me. Not only does President Trump have a history of not following through on charitable pledges, but he offered more for Obama's birth certificate (according to Trump he upped the offer to 50 million) than to help out every day Americans in what is potentially one of the largest national disasters in our nation's history.

I thought it was an excellent demonstration of how his priorities seem out of line to many of us.

Just because someone will probably ask for proof - here's an article that quotes Trump as saying he offered 50 million:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/09/16/trump-said-hed-give-away-5-million-or-maybe-50-million-for-proof-obama-was-born-in-the-u-s-will-he-pay-it/?utm_term=.b8afe07c75b8

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: September 01, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »

Nope nope... pledge... not donating...

Pledge is absolutely 1,000,000 times less than those whiners who are donating :)

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: September 01, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »

My problem with this assessment is that there are millions of voices out there so who are these "liberals" you speak of? If some people on twitter say something asinine like blaming the president for what happens to the stock market then conservative media points to it and says "Aha!, liberals are wrong again." And yes, even some of the media gets caught up in saying stupid shit like this, but that doesn't mean everyone who has something negative to say about Trump is one of those people.

I do realize it happens on both sides. Trump supporters on Twitter commented "at least Trump went to Texas after the hurricane, where was Obama after Katrina?" A stupid thing to say obviously but who said it? Several hundred or even thousand people on twitter? It's irrelevant but people criticized Trump supporters for saying something stupid even though it was a handful of idiots, not the whole group.

If we point to the worst the other side has to offer like they're a representation of that group, then of course they look like idiots. On the other hand when the president is one of the people participating in this circus, well that means something.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #199 on: September 01, 2017, 01:02:15 PM »
Only 1 million?  I thought he was "really rich". 
Whenever he pledges something they find out later he didn't actually deliver.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!