Author Topic: Small Daily acts of saving the planet. - Please delete this, double posted  (Read 706 times)

Fractal-

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hey everyone.  I am new here.

I am politically homeless, but my views have been changing slightly on many different topics.

I am of the mind that man does play a role in the climate here on earth, although I admit I do not know exactly to what extent.  That being said, I figure if we affect it at all, that is a good enough reason to make sure we make wise choices.  I love the out doors, hiking, camping and what not, so I am all for doing things to preserve what I love.

I see a lot of talk on the news about all of the plans and accords, and government regulations which are being put in place, or talked about, and I feel like this is putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.  Companies will always continue to find ways around regulations, usually just bribing governments to get what they want because they enjoy making truck loads of money.  This is why, to me, I believe climate change is more of a cultural issue than it is a political issue.  Companies are at the whim of you and I to make money, so I believe the only way to affect them is for a mass cultural shift in how we all spend our money, and make choices.

Now... I know this is a pipe dream, but I have been stalking MMM for quite some time and have found everyone's stories and postings quite enlightening, so I wanted to ask this:

What are some ways that you have changed your life style to stop contributing to the whole "Climate Change" Issue?  I would be very curious to learn from everyone.

For me, I have:
1.) reached a deal with work to only come in 2 days a week.  I have a bit of a commute, so cutting 60% of my drive time out has helped me in a lot of ways, including my emissions.
2.)  I currently use an Samsung Galaxy 4, and will continue to do so until it blows up, so I am not contributing to the "I need a new phone every 12 months" fiasco.
3.) I no longer grocery shop.  I have a self sustaining garden that makes enough for me and mine, and have some left over to sell for next to nothing to friends.  all organic, responsibly raised fruits and veggies.  I also buy my meat from a local farmer who shares my concern for responsibly raised food.  I believe this cuts down my footprint for packaging and shipping.  I do buy beer, but as much as possible I use growlers at my local breweries so I dont have too many cans and bottles.
4.)  I dont use a lot of AC/Heating.  Here in North Carolina we hardly need it.  I open the windows, or start a fire.

Tell me what you all do, I am sure I can make further change.

P.S.  I dont want this to turn into a thread about actually debating global warming.  There are several of those.  We can all agree that making these kinds of changes are, at the very least, very Mustacian.

Cheers.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!