Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290858 times)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #1050 on: October 09, 2018, 01:31:01 PM »
I just donated $50 to Democrat Elissa Slotkin's very tight race to unseat the Republican Congressperson Mike Bishop.
Mike Bishop is in the mold of Brett Kavanaugh fratboy highly partisan conservative.
Elissa Slotkin is almost the real story of the character Carrie Anne Mathison from "Homeland"
https://elissaforcongress.com/

I'm going to ask my dad if he will donate to Heidi Heitkamp's race in North Dakota.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1051 on: October 09, 2018, 08:42:21 PM »
Been writing 20 postcards a day to infrequent voters, reminding them to vote for their Congressional candidate. Also have been distributing packets of cards to my friends to write.

I tried doorknocking the other day.  It was actually a very positive experience! Almost everybody who was home had not heard about the candidate, but was happy to learn. They were startled to learn that there are more registered Democrats than Republicans in the district (the part I have canvassed has been GOP for decades; there were big aggressive GOP signs everywhere and no Dem signs).  I told them to tell all their friends.

I would like to write postcards. Where can I learn more?

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1052 on: October 10, 2018, 06:40:33 AM »
I've been writing postcards and canvassing but just can't shake the feeling that the Republicans have stolen too much power already for us to be successful.

I'll keep at it through this election, but I am really afraid that this election won't work -- I mean they have closed and moved a bunch of polling places in my liberal neighborhood -- a clear voter suppression tactic -- and people keep mysteriously not being registered to vote when they were before and haven't moved in years.

And I think there's a real chance that even if the blue wave does arrive, The Donald will just declare that it was invalid for some made-up reason and now he has the Supreme Court to back him up.

So I'm honestly not feeling that hopeful. But I will keep canvassing and writing postcards and doing what I can. It just doesn't feel like it's going to stop our slide into fascism.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1053 on: October 10, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »
I am one of the most pessimistic people I know when it come to the Supreme Court, and even I don't think they would back up Trump trying to nullify election results completely. Bush v Gore is one thing, but going full Putin is another.

You do raise an important issue, and one that can be overlooked when everyone is focused on Congress. Local and state officials decide where the polling locations are! This is a great thing to get involved with during off-years, when there are fewer exciting races to phone bank for. Exactly who decides what can differ by state, so first step is finding out the rules in your state. There may even be positions you can run for yourself, at the county level. Or fuck it, run for state-level positions too!

I no longer have the energy or motivation for small actions, because I'm working many hours, every day, on big federal campaigns. Frankly it is super stressful, and I can't do this role again in 2020 without some serious changes. At least I'm FI, so I can demand the changes I need. That's my off-cycle plan, to get improvements implemented so crunch time goes more smoothly for everyone.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1054 on: October 10, 2018, 10:00:43 AM »
That is a good point, MJ, and I think this is where I want to concentrate post-election -- on reforming election laws in my state. One reason so many western states go blue is because it is WICKED EASY to vote. There are a million different ways to do it, you have plenty of time, and you don't have to stand in line to make your voice heard.

I have found a couple of things that are helping me reframe to a less desolate point of view, maybe they will help others, too:

This article on lessons from union organizing

Greg Proops's latest podcast

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:04:13 AM by madgeylou »

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1055 on: October 10, 2018, 10:12:41 AM »
I've been writing postcards and canvassing but just can't shake the feeling that the Republicans have stolen too much power already for us to be successful.

I'll keep at it through this election, but I am really afraid that this election won't work -- I mean they have closed and moved a bunch of polling places in my liberal neighborhood -- a clear voter suppression tactic -- and people keep mysteriously not being registered to vote when they were before and haven't moved in years.

And I think there's a real chance that even if the blue wave does arrive, The Donald will just declare that it was invalid for some made-up reason and now he has the Supreme Court to back him up.

So I'm honestly not feeling that hopeful. But I will keep canvassing and writing postcards and doing what I can. It just doesn't feel like it's going to stop our slide into fascism.

This, plus we all know Russia is meddling again and the Republicans have no desire to stop it because it benefits them.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1056 on: October 10, 2018, 12:24:52 PM »
Been writing 20 postcards a day to infrequent voters, reminding them to vote for their Congressional candidate. Also have been distributing packets of cards to my friends to write.

I would like to write postcards. Where can I learn more?
@oldtoyota  sent you a PM!

@madgeylou It could help a little to sign up to work as a poll watcher for a campaign? Or sign up with the campaign to drive people to polls? I signed up to be a poll watcher during our primaries and got some better signage posted. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:30:25 PM by Poundwise »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1057 on: October 10, 2018, 11:15:27 PM »
That is a good point, MJ, and I think this is where I want to concentrate post-election -- on reforming election laws in my state. One reason so many western states go blue is because it is WICKED EASY to vote. There are a million different ways to do it, you have plenty of time, and you don't have to stand in line to make your voice heard.

I have found a couple of things that are helping me reframe to a less desolate point of view, maybe they will help others, too:

This article on lessons from union organizing

Greg Proops's latest podcast

@madgeylou check out https://www.lawyersforgoodgovernment.org/election-watch/.  I've been really involved in getting this program off the ground. Unfortunately other programs of L4GG have been more immediately urgent so we didn't really launch in 2018 as hoped, but we expect to be fully up to speed before 2020. The idea is to monitor local (and in some cases state) elections boards and the crazy decisions they make and stop them before those decisions are made. I think I mentioned it, perhaps even on this thread, but this year I saw one county elections board pass a (non-binding) resolution to disallow citizens from voting on their Congressperson unless they could prove they paid more in taxes than they received in federal benefits.  I mean, these county boards are crazy.  Anyway, in order to fully launch the program, we are planning to bring in non-lawyers.  There just aren't enough of us to cover the 3000+ boards that make these decisions.  Whether you are interested in this program or just get inspired to keep an eye on your own local elections board, it is worthwhile.  This is definitely where we need to stop voter suppression and other shit before it starts, and we've been sadly oblivious for a long time!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:17:45 PM by sui generis »

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #1058 on: October 11, 2018, 05:49:06 PM »
I am feeling slightly inspired today, so I blew most of my recruiting bonus on donations to The Great Slate and some local races, and signed up for the Sister District data and research team.

@Poundwise I would also be interested in details on postcard writing! I keep seeing it mentioned!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1059 on: October 12, 2018, 07:47:00 AM »

After reading this piece about voter suppression in Georgia I see what you mean.

Democracy in Danger in Georgia
The right is using voter suppression to rig the governor’s race.
https://nyti.ms/2A5EZxh

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1060 on: October 12, 2018, 04:38:58 PM »

After reading this piece about voter suppression in Georgia I see what you mean.

I'll up your article with one of my own.  4 Women Indicted in North Texas Voter Fraud Ring.  Some of us are very strongly in favor of voter ID for good reason.

Of course, a nationally recognized voter card used in all states, and provided for free, would fix basically all of that.  But its apparently racist to want that system?...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1061 on: October 12, 2018, 05:11:05 PM »

I'll up your article with one of my own.  4 Women Indicted in North Texas Voter Fraud Ring.  Some of us are very strongly in favor of voter ID for good reason.

Of course, a nationally recognized voter card used in all states, and provided for free, would fix basically all of that.  But its apparently racist to want that system?...

I don’t think you’ll find very many people on the left who would be against a nationally recognized voter ID card, as long as the process for obtaining one was designed not to disenfranchise certain groups of people who often lack either the money or the means of identification that your typical middle- or upper-class person has. Automatic voter registration at a certain age plus a free card would be a wonderful thing, I think. The only types likely to object are some libertarians, and of course people on the right who don’t want groups who tend to lean Democrat to vote.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1062 on: October 12, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »
Widespread, statistically significant voter fraud is right up there with reverse racism in terms of shit that doesn’t exist.

Of course you could easily answer your own questions about why Voter ID laws are racist by cleverly using the very device that you hold in your hands at this instant, so I’ll say no more and allow this discussion to get back on track.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1063 on: October 12, 2018, 05:17:22 PM »
Widespread, statistically significant voter fraud is right up there with reverse racism in terms of shit that doesn’t exist.

Of course you could easily answer your own questions about why Voter ID laws are racist by cleverly using the very device that you hold in your hands at this instant, so I’ll say no more and allow this discussion to get back on track.

20,000 votes in the Dallas area alone isn't significant and doesn't exist?...

“Direct Action Texas spent countless hours analyzing open records requests, noticing patterns and discovering Fort Worth voters whose voice was stolen,” Aaron Harris, the group’s Executive Director, told Texas Scorecard in October 2016. “This vote harvesting operation preys on the elderly and the economically disadvantaged, who are among our most vulnerable neighbors.”

“Our research has shined a light on a covert, yet pervasive network – to the tune of 20,000 ballots, over four years, primarily within the African-American and Hispanic communities,” Harris added. “All indications are this is the largest investigation related to voter fraud the Attorney General’s office has ever seen.”

But anyhow, y'all can get back on track.  I'll jump out.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1064 on: October 12, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »

20,000 votes in the Dallas area alone isn't significant and doesn't exist?...

“Direct Action Texas spent countless hours analyzing open records requests, noticing patterns and discovering Fort Worth voters whose voice was stolen,” Aaron Harris, the group’s Executive Director, told Texas Scorecard in October 2016. “This vote harvesting operation preys on the elderly and the economically disadvantaged, who are among our most vulnerable neighbors.”

“Our research has shined a light on a covert, yet pervasive network – to the tune of 20,000 ballots, over four years, primarily within the African-American and Hispanic communities,” Harris added. “All indications are this is the largest investigation related to voter fraud the Attorney General’s office has ever seen.”

But anyhow, y'all can get ba ck on track.  I'll jump out.

Your first source was reputable. This one is garbage.

Sources matter.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #1065 on: October 12, 2018, 10:27:52 PM »
The study didn't say anyone at all was doing a fraud that would be prevented by an ID. The fraud was by deceitful use of mail in ballots, according to the article itself.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1066 on: October 13, 2018, 02:52:16 AM »

I'll add the Rachael Maddow show for 11/10/18 and 12/10/18 which details a decades long and continuing attempt by election officials in Texas to stop the students at a historically black college from voting.

The corruption (or gross incompetence) of election officials in the USA is constantly astounding to me.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1067 on: October 13, 2018, 07:07:30 PM »
The fraud is how Republicans have done everything possible to make it harder and harder to vote

exmmmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1068 on: October 13, 2018, 07:45:31 PM »
We turned in our absentee ballots the other day. Should have been delivered by now via diplomatic pouch. Only had two races on the ballot but we got to support Beto and Vanessa Adia

https://www.vanessaadia.com/meet-vanessa

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1069 on: October 14, 2018, 09:06:40 AM »
Diplomatic pouch! Very fancy!

Phone banked for Beto.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1070 on: October 14, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »
I just decided and committed to helping staff the GOTV office in my district and train canvassers from 8-8 on weekends from now till the election. It will at least keep me from sitting at home worrying!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1071 on: October 14, 2018, 04:24:37 PM »
We voted last week. Dropped our absentee ballots in the mail.

I know it's small, but well, we all NEED to vote!  So my husband and I did.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1072 on: October 16, 2018, 04:12:38 PM »
PTF!

Recent actions:

• Filled out get-out-the-vote postcards for the ACLU
  • Volunteered to clerk the polls
  • Starting the process of researching the propositions & measures for my local elections

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1073 on: October 23, 2018, 10:25:53 PM »
Passed on info about Vote Forward to two friends, though I haven't tried it myself. They have signed up. Just one more mailing week before the election! https://votefwd.org/

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1074 on: October 24, 2018, 10:56:23 AM »
I spent my weekend at the local staging location center for canvassing in my part of my city -- training each canvasser, making a connection with them, prepping them to get out and talk to people. I really enjoyed it, much more than I enjoy actual canvassing, and felt like I was making a difference and helping to build some momentum for our local races. Good stuff all around!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1075 on: October 24, 2018, 11:19:47 AM »
Passed on info about Vote Forward to two friends, though I haven't tried it myself. They have signed up. Just one more mailing week before the election! https://votefwd.org/

This is awesome - thank you for sharing. I just signed up.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1076 on: October 24, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »
I've been reminding all the students in the yoga classes that I teach that I hope that they vote, and I explained how easy it was to do an absentee ballot. I know it's weird to mention that to the students, but many seemed to be in strong agreement with me.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1077 on: October 24, 2018, 02:59:10 PM »
Last week we gave our final round of campaign donations, targeting some state and House races we care about, and chipped in on some clustered giving for state races in NC and elsewhere. We also signed up to do some GOTV canvassing with Spanberger's campaign, because David Brat is the worst!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1078 on: November 01, 2018, 04:55:57 PM »
NELSON-GILLUM YO - Let's elect some Democrats in Florida!

If you want to keep an ASTRONAUT in office in Florida, hit me up! I can get you hooked up with Hustle, a super easy, no-commitment texting program. You can do it for a few minutes at a time while waiting in line at Starbucks waiting for your French press coffee.

People who've worked for Bill Nelson say he's a genuinely nice person, and he's in a ridiculously tight race defending his Senate seat against well-documented scumbag Rick Scott.

Additional D turnout will help boost down-ballot candidates in close races, AND Andrew Gillum, who's running against Ron DeSantis for governor.

Remember this dude who read The Art of the Deal to his kids as a bedtime story? That's DeSantis. He got asked about his fawning over Trump in a debate, and please watch this it's amazing. If ASTRONAUT WHO ISN'T RICK SCOTT isn't enough, this clip will get you there.

LET'S GET OUT THE VOTE Y'ALL.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1079 on: November 01, 2018, 05:16:03 PM »
Voted early.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1080 on: November 06, 2018, 08:45:41 AM »
Helped 4 people get absentee ballots the last couple days, when they had pretty much given up because the process had been so hard for them in their respective states.  Hopefully important not just for the vote they cast in this election but to prevent demoralization and promote their (and their friends') investment in voting in the long-term!

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1081 on: November 06, 2018, 01:13:54 PM »
Just finished a seven hour shift as a poll monitor for the Democratic Party. 

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1082 on: November 07, 2018, 07:44:35 AM »
We did it y’all! Checks and balances on Trump are now in place, and there’s a record number of women headed to Congress and to State Houses all over the map.

I really wish Andrew Gillum and Beto would have won, but it was still a very good night for Dems.

Plus the State Senate race I have been working on went our way, taking away the chances for a republican veto-proof super majority in Harrisburg.

Our candidate racked up enough of a lead in the city wards to overshoot the deep red suburbs, even with a shitty opponent who tried to defeat her by playing dirty and yelling SOCIALIST every chance he got. And this was a direct result of the efforts of me and my friends — mostly my friends because I just jumped in a few months ago — but still! It feels good and I am hopeful that we are setting the stage for a better and more inclusive and more responsive Democratic Party going forward.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:07:42 AM by madgeylou »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1083 on: November 07, 2018, 08:49:13 AM »
Clerked the polls yesterday, and got to see a bunch of brand new voters (including one who had turned 18 just two days earlier!).

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1084 on: November 07, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »
Today I've been encouraging the others in my groups not to give up hope.

Texas didn't elect Beto, and my district didn't kick out the icky Republican.  BUT ... my "very very safe" district only gave the R 51% of the vote this time - we turned out 14k more Democrats this year than voted in this race in the 2016 presidential election.

And Beto wasn't supposed to win, so the surprise is not that he lost, but that it was so close.  This was the most competitive Texas Senate race in my 40-year-old lifetime.   The fact that an unknown Congressman from El Paso, of all places, could be this competitive and raise this much money will hopefully inspire other higher profile Texans to run for statewide office (Joaquin and Julian Castro, I am looking at you).

Dems in Texas have started to figure out what this whole "organizing" thing is, and I am very optimistic about our prospects in 2020.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1085 on: November 07, 2018, 01:11:02 PM »
For people wondering what to do next, read this.

When I can find the numbers for the offices of my newly elected politicians I'm going to add them to my phone's contact list.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1086 on: November 07, 2018, 01:44:07 PM »
Today my small act is to be happier than I am sad.  To take heart in the legitimately amazing wins on the local, state and national levels and not overly-weight the losses, as we humans are prone to do.  Holding both of these feelings in my heart today will be my act of resistance to keep the fuel going for tomorrow.  As much as we would have loved it, this was never gonna be something we could turn around in one election.  So today I continue to build endurance for the long run.  Because it will indeed take these small acts every day, all the time.  Here we go!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1087 on: November 07, 2018, 06:30:32 PM »
Thanks to all you do. Proposal 2 in Michigan passed to do away with gerrymandering. We also have a Democrat governor, an openly lesbian Democrat Attorney General, and the state passed another proposal that will make voting a whole lot easier in the future (same day registration/voting, and no reason needed for an absentee ballot).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1088 on: November 07, 2018, 09:22:25 PM »
Today my small act is to be happier than I am sad.  To take heart in the legitimately amazing wins on the local, state and national levels and not overly-weight the losses, as we humans are prone to do.  Holding both of these feelings in my heart today will be my act of resistance to keep the fuel going for tomorrow.  As much as we would have loved it, this was never gonna be something we could turn around in one election.  So today I continue to build endurance for the long run.  Because it will indeed take these small acts every day, all the time.  Here we go!

THIS! I needed this, and agree with you.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1089 on: November 07, 2018, 09:27:48 PM »
Also, signed up to send postcards for the runoff elections. Hadn't seen the site previously, but a friend linked via Facebook (it is good for something, I supposed), so I just signed up.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1090 on: November 10, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
Yesterday I made some phonecalls to voters in FL who did mail-in ballots, asking them to check their vote status online, and giving them the phone number to call if their vote status was not "Tabulated".

Unfortunately the last 5 calls I made were to Spanish speakers, and as I hardly speak a word of Spanish, I felt I should stop rather than uselessly bother more people.

I'm really quite amazed at how much to the left I've moved over a period of 2 years. Used to think of myself as  a centrist, now look at me!!

EricL

« Reply #1091 on: November 10, 2018, 05:04:10 PM »
Yesterday I made some phonecalls to voters in FL who did mail-in ballots, asking them to check their vote status online, and giving them the phone number to call if their vote status was not "Tabulated".

Unfortunately the last 5 calls I made were to Spanish speakers, and as I hardly speak a word of Spanish, I felt I should stop rather than uselessly bother more people.

I'm really quite amazed at how much to the left I've moved over a period of 2 years. Used to think of myself as  a centrist, now look at me!!

Trump is a godsend to the nation's far left. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1092 on: November 11, 2018, 05:40:34 AM »

I don't know - if he's got us thinking that counting votes in a democracy is a partisan strategy, I'm not sure that qualifies.

EricL

« Reply #1093 on: November 11, 2018, 10:47:51 PM »

I don't know - if he's got us thinking that counting votes in a democracy is a partisan strategy, I'm not sure that qualifies.

The guy's a troll.  Everything he does pisses on our Democracy.  The Republican Party is a host of his stooges now with reasonable people shut out.  The Democratic Party is divided between moderates who talk shit about him but go along to get along and Progressives of the far left who are eager to walk and talk.  Every time the moderates who doesn't flip out when Trump does his thing invests more power in the far left who do want to do something.  Like impeach him.  If Trump does something stupid with immediate observable consequences, it's the far left who had to be dragged kicking and screaming along who will do well.  Like when President Obama got his start when he didn't vote for the invasion of Iraq.  Unlike the blonde android. 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1094 on: November 12, 2018, 08:05:20 AM »
As a registered Republican who is horrified by what our party has become, may I offer a word of thanks to everyone on this thread for your tireless work to get us to last week's victories?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1095 on: November 12, 2018, 10:42:22 AM »
As a registered Republican who is horrified by what our party has become, may I offer a word of thanks to everyone on this thread for your tireless work to get us to last week's victories?

Why, you're welcome! :D  (taking credit for everybody else)

Before we get yelled at for too much discussion, I'll bring this back to the original thread purpose.  I donated a little to Bill Nelson's recount fund, and shared phonebank links for Stacey Abrams (calling deadline tomorrow) with some friends, but did not make any calls  today myself yet. I'm tired. Will get off my bottom soon to do so.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1096 on: December 04, 2018, 10:28:21 AM »
I felt so bad for Stacey Abrams's loss in GA that I did some texting for John Barrows, running for Secretary of State in the special election today. Their election system is way broken.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1097 on: December 07, 2018, 11:08:14 AM »
Attended a 4.5 hour (!!!) city council meeting last night, where my city committed to The Sierra Club's 100 for 100% Clean Energy goals. Learned a lot about the dynamics of the council and their relationship to the city's professional staff in the process.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1098 on: January 09, 2019, 11:13:22 AM »
Just finished calling both senators and my rep to say that this shut down is ridiculous and the boarder wall is also ridiculous. I managed to leave messages that were only somewhat rambling (as opposed to just screaming obscenities into the phone which would better suit my mood) since I know it's just some staffer that listens to it and adds my message as one more tick in a certain column.

If anyone in Florida wants to get in touch with Rick Scott his number wasn't readily apparent in a google search for me, but it's 202-224-5274.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1099 on: January 09, 2019, 11:26:09 AM »
Just finished calling both senators and my rep to say that this shut down is ridiculous and the boarder wall is also ridiculous. I managed to leave messages that were only somewhat rambling (as opposed to just screaming obscenities into the phone which would better suit my mood) since I know it's just some staffer that listens to it and adds my message as one more tick in a certain column.

If anyone in Florida wants to get in touch with Rick Scott his number wasn't readily apparent in a google search for me, but it's 202-224-5274.

Thank you for this!  So helpful to have people who live in places that matter (like FL) as opposed to ones that don't (like CA generally, but especially in the all but 7 districts represented by Dems).  I try to tell myself it's important to call, esp because Dianne Feinstein can be unreliable sometimes.  And to say thank you if nothing else.  But it's a lot less motivating.

A couple of days ago I went to a postcarding party to encourage Floridians to sign up for Vote By Mail.  It's mostly Republicans that do it there so we're trying to get more Dems signed up.  Hopefully they'll find voting easier and not miss out due to life events on election day.  I also noted that yesterday was the first day people in FL with prior felony convictions can register to vote (Amendment 4).  I know the Republican legislature was working to try to slow this down in the hopes of thwarting the will of the public, but it sounds like it's going ahead so far, since it was intended to be self-executing.  I saw that ACLU's People Power Team was texting for it yesterday to inform people and encourage registrations and spreading the word.

A lot of opportunity in FL!