Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290807 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #800 on: September 20, 2017, 10:06:15 PM »
Indivisible Guide resource on Graham-Cassidy: https://www.trumpcareten.org/

There's also a tool to text constituents in key states. PM me if you're interested in getting the link.

Another note on the newest ACA repeal attempt: everyone should be calling, regardless of whether they have a swing senator. If you’ve got a Republican determined to vote for it, tell them you’re angry! If a Democrat, say thank you! Especially if you live in West Virginia. Some liberals want to primary Manchin, but he’s held firm on ACA repeal. Thank him!

Pence said Trump told him to reach out to some Democrats, and he spoke to Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) over the weekend. But after reviewing the bill, Manchin said, he told Pence’s aides he could not support the legislation.

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said he’s confident no Democrat will vote for the legislation, because “it hurts people in every state.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/renewed-obamacare-repeal-effort-dealt-a-blow-as-governors-come-out-in-opposition/2017/09/19/499478fe-9d51-11e7-9083-fbfddf6804c2_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_healthcare-430pm-1%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.1affd8487788

I also emailed Schumer tonight about his vote on the defense spending bill.

I attended an anti-IDC protest today.

I attended a work group on NYS voter rights and helped plan our first action.

I hosted an informal debate yesterday on a NYS specific issue. Very well-received and informative. Even the guest speakers said it was one of the best they've attended on the topic.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:12:36 AM by MonkeyJenga »

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #801 on: September 20, 2017, 11:44:53 PM »
The "thug" thing - again.  Yeah, I know it's a side track, but it brings out a pet peeve of mine.  Right now the political environment is heavily polarized with an enormous amount of fear on both sides of the political spectrum.  Some of it is hysterical; downright silly.  Some of it is quite justified.  But one of the side effects is the polarization WITHIN the group as each element tries to prove it's ideologically "pure" by policing behavior and setting discussion frameworks.  Hell, you can see it inside the White House, Congress, and the other miscellaneous bits and allies of the so-called alt-right as they tear at each other.  And on "our" side it's people who want everyone to toe some ideological line or make some litmus test.  Well, you can have victory over this despicable administration and you may even achieve ideological, language purity based on whatever current grad school sociology trend.  But if you want both at the same time, don't hold your breath.  This is a struggle where allies are a little more important. 

Edit: I'll add that this should be considered but otherwise treated as the foam it is and ignored.  You can PM me if you agree or want to tell me to take my center/left views to Hillaryland and fuck off.
Eric, you are making far too much sense. Are you SURE you want to reside in
Hillaryland?

This is rude. Please stop insulting the bulk of people in this thread.
OK, I'll bite - where exactly is an insult in any of the above?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #802 on: September 21, 2017, 08:13:12 AM »
I deleted. Not important, and I don't want to derail.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #803 on: September 21, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
Out of the country, but I am resist-botting everyday about the ridiculous last-ditch ACA repeal effort / craven cash grab / attempt to shit on Obama's legacy:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/26/koch-network-piggy-banks-closed-republicans-healthcare-tax-reform

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #804 on: September 21, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »
This is a hyper local thing, but people on my street are asking for the city to pay to put in speed bumps. The city did a review, the street doesn't meet the technical criteria. The city did a survey, while the majority of people who answered said they wanted speed bumps, the response rate didn't meet their criteria. So now my councilor is asking us to take another survey so she can decide whether to ask for it to be revisited.

No, we do not need speed bumps. We are in the city and close to two highways, in return for that convenience, we will have people driving on our street. And according to the specs, not too many and not too fast (I shall trust Prospector's colleagues on this).

So I took the survey. There are so many more important things to spend money on in this city.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #805 on: September 22, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
Finally something to call our governors about as a change. My God, Christie is ahead of Cuomo on this!

https://5calls.org/issue/recs368Tv3hj2JVSN

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #806 on: September 22, 2017, 10:46:41 AM »
From an Indivisible member who's been using a cool new tool for blue-staters to reach red-state voters:

Indivisible has given us an opportunity today and Monday as we try to defeat this healthcare / tax cut bill. I'm pretty excited about it and I wanted to share it all with you. What would it be like if we all tried it? It's a calling tool that  allows *you* to connect constituents in key states like WV, AK, TN, OH, and AZ with their senators. It's easy. You can either call with or without a computer in front of you. Once you sign up, you'll be assigned to a state, and given all the info you need.

https://www.trumpcareten.org/calls-to-kill-trumpcare

I got assigned to Arizona. *Sources say Senator McCain is going to make a decision in the next few days.*

Sure, I got a couple no's, but in the short time that I called, I got a lot of people thanking me for being with Indivisible, and several people who wanted me to patch them through to Senator McCain's office so that they could tell him to vote no. That's what I did. I just told them to "stay on the line, and I'll connect you," and pushed a button on the screen.

The list they have seems pretty good, and the system is smooth. This is something Indivisible has really worked hard to develop - and it's _for us._ Check it out. This is one of those historic moments where we need to say that we did everything we could, connecting with people across the country and getting them to show their constituent power.

Finally something to call our governors about as a change. My God, Christie is ahead of Cuomo on this!

https://5calls.org/issue/recs368Tv3hj2JVSN

Look at that! Just what I wanted. Thanks Poundwise.

Nice going, plainjane! There are probably a lot of people not bothering to respond.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #807 on: September 22, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »
HEALTHCARE UPDATE

John McCain has officially come out against Graham-Cassidy.

"I cannot in good conscience vote for Graham-Cassidy. A bill impacting so many lives deserves a bipartisan approach."

https://twitter.com/SenJohnMcCain/status/911290557191921664

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #808 on: September 22, 2017, 12:26:31 PM »
I thanked my Rep for all the good work his office has done in communicating during and after Irma. I disagree with him on 99% of all issues, but they really have been helpful in this area. I'll go back to berating him about tax reform next week.

P.S. Thank you, John McCain!!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #809 on: September 22, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
Thank god!

The asswipes could still stop the federal subsidies though.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: September 22, 2017, 07:15:16 PM »
If a Democrat, say thank you!

I thanked my Democratic Senators Stabenow and Peters for holding steadfast in their support of the ACA.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #811 on: September 22, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »
I motivated at least one person in AK to contact Murkowski about Graham-Cassidy. I realize that with McCain saying he's a 'no' it probably doesn't matter what way Murkowski votes anymore, but it would still be good to hold her accountable.

Also, a relative in Texas has been updating FB about this stuff. Someone commented to be like, "Will they really care what I say if I do contact my senator?" and I commented to say YES!

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #812 on: September 23, 2017, 06:22:26 AM »
DH and I are canvassing today for a candidate for the VA House of Delegates race nearby - she's a woman (and an awesome candidate), and right now only 17 of the 100 Delegates are women, so I'm pretty excited to get out and talk to folks about her.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #813 on: September 23, 2017, 10:56:27 AM »
I motivated at least one person in AK to contact Murkowski about Graham-Cassidy. I realize that with McCain saying he's a 'no' it probably doesn't matter what way Murkowski votes anymore, but it would still be good to hold her accountable.

Also, a relative in Texas has been updating FB about this stuff. Someone commented to be like, "Will they really care what I say if I do contact my senator?" and I commented to say YES!

As I understand it it only takes say Rand Paul to vote yes and then its 51-50 with the Pence tie break.. RP may decide "yes" even if this is not what he wants because this is their last chance to kill the ACA.

This sounds extremely precarious no??

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #814 on: September 23, 2017, 11:55:32 AM »
Don't forget Susan Collins would be unlikely to vote for this

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #815 on: September 23, 2017, 12:25:22 PM »

As I understand it it only takes say Rand Paul to vote yes and then its 51-50 with the Pence tie break.. RP may decide "yes" even if this is not what he wants because this is their last chance to kill the ACA.

This sounds extremely precarious no??
My boy Rand aint gonna cave to that poor draft of an ACA bill. Nosiree. I think anyway, based on his emails. He wants the ACA gone but not this sad sack version.

But I am often wrong.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #816 on: October 04, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »
The deadline to register with a party to vote in New York's 2018 primaries is Oct. 13, 2017. The Democratic primaries are where all the NYC races are decided. I nagged one friend to switch from independent to Dem, and she sent in the form today. She wasn't able to vote for a city council candidate in September because of this.

I also am in the process of convincing one tin-hat friend to register to vote in NY. (He didn't vote in 2016 and doesn't trust the government.)

I am gathering a statewide supergroup of activists focused on one issue. We had a kickoff session last night and are already planning a non-partisan event.

Also going to call my whoevers about gun safety today. Crowdsourcing research first.

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #817 on: October 11, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »
Hi, sorry for the somewhat-offtopic message.

Are there any lesser known causes that accept tax deductible donations that anyone would like me to try and donate to? My employer has a huge list where they match 100%. TIA!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #818 on: October 11, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
https://marcforda.com/ is running as a write-in candidate against the NY DA who didn't prosecute the Trump kids after he accepted a bribe. The election is in a month. Hopefully, those of you in that district or near there can spread the word around!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #819 on: October 11, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »
Went to my local Indivisible meeting last night. We talked strategy for the next several months. Good stuff and I hope good things come from it.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #820 on: October 11, 2017, 05:08:11 PM »

Are there any lesser known causes that accept tax deductible donations that anyone would like me to try and donate to? My employer has a huge list where they match 100%. TIA!

Since you ask for lesser known, and you're posting in a political forum, how about
https://www.voteriders.org/
?

I have never donated to them yet myself, but as I become politically more aware, I am beginning to realize the obstacles that the poor, the sick, and the elderly face when voting. 
Thank you so much for caring enough to give!

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #821 on: October 12, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »

Since you ask for lesser known, and you're posting in a political forum, how about
https://www.voteriders.org/
?

I have never donated to them yet myself, but as I become politically more aware, I am beginning to realize the obstacles that the poor, the sick, and the elderly face when voting. 
Thank you so much for caring enough to give!

Done! Thanks for the suggestion.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #822 on: October 12, 2017, 02:05:39 PM »
Here's a fun one - the National Education Association has a site where you can send a virtual postcard to your Congressional Reps supporting the DREAM Act. http://dreamers.neaedjustice.org

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #823 on: October 16, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »
I've been door-knocking with my democratic town candidates  for the upcoming election.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: October 24, 2017, 09:21:24 AM »
VOTE IS TODAY. CALL NOW.

https://5calls.org/issue/ban-mandatory-arbitration

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-joint-resolution/47

"This joint resolution nullifies a rule submitted by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) regarding arbitration agreements. " : in other words, the Senate Republicans will hold a vote to overturn the CFPB’s new rule that protects your right to take big banks and financial institutions like Wells Fargo and Equifax to court when they cheat you.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #825 on: October 30, 2017, 11:16:42 AM »
Just asked my Senators and Rep to co-sponsor legislation that protects the role of the Special Counsel's office from presidential interference. Sample script:
"Please co-sponsor the Special Counsel Integrity Act and the Special Counsel Independence Protection Act (S. 1735, S. 1741, & HR 3771), the bipartisan legislation to protect Robert Mueller’s investigation and that of future Special Counsels."

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #826 on: November 01, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »

Done! Thanks for the suggestion.

Awesome!

I posted a reminder on social media to all New Yorkers to vote on November 7.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #828 on: November 09, 2017, 06:21:00 AM »
Not small, but flipped our suburb from red to blue by using every spare minute (and some minutes that were not spare) to knock on doors or make phone calls. For example the other day I had an unclaimed half hour so I made 17 calls to remind local voters to show up at the Nov 7 election.

Also, I worked for over 16 hours as a poll worker on Election Day (and I also earned a little money for that, woo hoo!)

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #829 on: November 09, 2017, 06:33:55 AM »
Not small, but flipped our suburb from red to blue by using every spare minute (and some minutes that were not spare) to knock on doors or make phone calls. For example the other day I had an unclaimed half hour so I made 17 calls to remind local voters to show up at the Nov 7 election.

Also, I worked for over 16 hours as a poll worker on Election Day (and I also earned a little money for that, woo hoo!)

Nice!  I also volunteered a few hours a week starting last month through the election to door knock and phone call.  First time ever volunteering on a political campaign.  Picked up 6 seats on the town council and turned it blue, but mayoral candidate lost.  Still, not too bad.

scottnews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #830 on: November 09, 2017, 07:19:29 AM »
I've never paid for news until recently.   It has been so easy to get for free at work, on line, radio...  We currently are a member of MPR and pay for a digital subscription to our local news.

Also we  buy from smile.amazon and proceeds to the ACLU.   

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #831 on: November 09, 2017, 07:27:34 AM »

Nice!  I also volunteered a few hours a week starting last month through the election to door knock and phone call.  First time ever volunteering on a political campaign.  Picked up 6 seats on the town council and turned it blue, but mayoral candidate lost.  Still, not too bad.
Awesome! Both of you!

Hammering my Rep on tax reform. He's a billionaire, so I doubt he cares one bit, but I still like shouting at him (metaphorically).

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #832 on: November 09, 2017, 07:34:54 AM »

That is awesome you two!

I voted absentee last week so I could canvass in Virginia for Northam, Fairfax, Herring, and a flippable delegate seat. The delegate won her seat by a huge margin! And of course the statewide Dem ticket won as well.

Voting in my own election was surprisingly difficult. It took me over three hours of travel round-trip to get to the Board of Elections. New York has pretty terrible election laws. Any NY'ers interested in helping improve our electoral system, sign up with Easy Elections NY.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #833 on: November 28, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »
I called my senators (blue state) urging them to "Withhold consent" on the tax bill to slow it down. Also I sent round email to family & friends to do the same, or to ask GOP senators to vote No.

12 days, including Thanksgiving recess, is not enough time for change of this magnitude to be fully vetted.  I'm particularly concerned about loss of medical deduction, which is essential to people with severe illness (note, my dad needed it and used it during his first bout with cancer, then went on to live 20 years and pay oodles of tax on his business thereafter). Loss of the SALT and mortgage deductions are also going to screw up property values throughout the country in a big way.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:00:18 AM by Poundwise »

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #834 on: November 28, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »
Today is Giving Tuesday and Facebook is matching donations. I donated to Planned Parenthood through a fundraiser my BIL is doing for his birthday. I also strongly recommended said BIL read George Lakoff, but he clearly has not. We agree on politics, but he's alienated a lot of people with his argumentative style.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #835 on: November 29, 2017, 02:11:02 PM »
Called Senators, requested that they oppose the Senate tax bill or at least let it die.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #836 on: November 29, 2017, 02:12:59 PM »
Called Senators, requested that they oppose the Senate tax bill or at least let it die.
+1

EricL

« Reply #837 on: November 29, 2017, 05:11:09 PM »
Here is the petition to strip the Star Wars franchise from EA games after their bizarro attempt to rip off and soak millions of fans with de facto gambling. 

https://www.change.org/p/lucasfilm-revoke-ea-s-star-wars-license

I'll admit in the realm of things that need fixing like impeaching the turd whose name I won't suffer mentioned in my presence, climate change, and net neutrality rate a 10, this one is considerably lower.  But it's representative of an insidious corporate culture that seeks to maximize profits over any ethics or morals and so spills over into, well, everything.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #838 on: November 29, 2017, 05:36:53 PM »
+1

I encouraged my senators to keep fighting it, and in Schumer's case, make sure the Dem caucus holds. Dems like Manchin and Heitkamp are potential Yes votes.

I attended a NY voting rights coalition event today.

I helped tweak a voting rights lobbying pitch for another group, for when they go to Albany and lobby state senators directly.

I am also going to help write an op-ed for that group.

I am going to a Doug Jones phone bank event this week, and am organizing another one for next week. I donated to his campaign last week.

Anyone can make calls or text voters from home through this link: http://tinyurl.com/Doug-Jones-Daily-Action-Page
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:42:03 PM by MonkeyJenga »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #839 on: December 01, 2017, 07:34:44 AM »
If anyone knows people in Maine, please tell them to call Susan Collins NOW to oppose to GOP tax scam. If she signs on, the bill will pass. Flake (Arizona) and Corker (Tennessee) also need calls, as they are the two most likely hold-outs.

You can also call voters through this peer-dialer: https://www.trumptaxscam.org/calls-to-kill-the-tax-scam/

It was used to great effect in the struggle against ACA repeal.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #840 on: December 01, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »
I used ResistBot to fax my Senators, but unfortunately one is a Democrat (so it served no purpose) and the other is a Republican who is on the Committee who wrote the bill.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #841 on: December 01, 2017, 03:23:31 PM »
This is off-topic, but every time I see DarkandStormy post, I end up wishing I had a cocktail. It's almost as bad as my taco cravings from Jon Snow's journal.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #842 on: December 02, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »
This is off-topic, but every time I see DarkandStormy post, I end up wishing I had a cocktail. It's almost as bad as my taco cravings from Jon Snow's journal.

You're welcome!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #843 on: December 05, 2017, 07:50:36 AM »
I just submitted comments to protest the rollback of the birth control coverage mandates that were put in place under Obama. It took less than five minutes.

This has some information on what to do if you want to comment or call also: https://twitter.com/icalledmyreps/status/921150829540777985
The second tweet has a story with info, the third has a video that can be viewed with sound off (there's writing to guide you) showing you just where to go and what to do. The next one down has a script. The video said there were four comments but a lot more came back from my search so don't just click everything without reading. I opened them in tabs so I could copy/paste my comment easily.

Here's a transcription of the script offered by #ICalledMyReps so you can cut and paste if you like, typos are definitely mine:

I am writing to protest the Trump Administration’s rollback of the contraceptive rules for the Affordable Care Act.

Putting aside the fact that a woman’s decision to use contraceptives should be a personal choice, the justification for the rollback cites exemptions based on religious graounds.

However, that particular justification also fails to consider the fact that over 14% of women who use contraceptives (or 1.5 million in actual figures) do so for reasons that are for personal health, or noncontraceptive reasons.

This rule change stands to be potentially fiscally and physically costly to millions of women around the nation and I am not in support.

Then add your own comment - personalize it somehow. If you can put the whole thing in your own words or give examples all the better.

This is time sensitive as the window to comment closes today. If you can pass this along to whomever you can, that would be great.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #844 on: December 05, 2017, 08:16:05 AM »
Thanks meerkat. I tried submitting a comment and it's saying the comment field is blank, even though I wrote something...

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #845 on: December 13, 2017, 11:07:29 AM »
I just have to say.. FUCK YOU ROY MOORE.... BURN IN HELL YOU POS!

OK I feel better now..:)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #846 on: December 13, 2017, 11:20:37 AM »
The election in Alabama shows the path for Democrats trying to win statewide elections throughout the Midwest.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #847 on: December 13, 2017, 11:33:20 AM »
The election in Alabama shows the path for Democrats trying to win statewide elections throughout the Midwest.
Make sure the Republicans nominate child molesters? (I know, I know, it's actually grassroots turnout :))

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #848 on: December 13, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »
Not funding the Children's Health Insurance Program is egregious and affects millions of kids.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #849 on: December 13, 2017, 07:46:46 PM »
Fought for net neutrality.  http://battleforthenet.com , http://aclu.org/netneutrality , or text ‘RESIST’ to 50409

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!