Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290804 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #600 on: March 28, 2017, 12:52:51 PM »
Need help from the political hive mind. Common Cause has a petition going to stop an Article V convention to rewrite the U.S. Constitution. My high school civics course is failing me. How legit is this issue? It seems like it would be a REALLY BIG DEAL if it's a real threat, but this is the first I'm hearing about it.

It is massively funded by the Koch brothers, which frankly is probably all you need to know.

I think it is quite a big deal. Wisconsin is voting on this today, I think.

Okay, so what can people who don't live in Wisconsin do about this?

It will pass in Wisconsin, so that's a done deal.

You can educate yourself about it.

And if you live in one of the remaining states -- or even if you don't -- you can work to educate others and advocate for awareness and resistance so that it doesn't get passed there.

The  seven states (assuming the Wisconsin vote hasn't happened yet) are Arizona, Kentucky, Minnesota, Montana, South Carolina, Virginia and Wisconsin. They need five of them to vote for this. So, especially if you're in one of the other states, pay attention.

http://billmoyers.com/story/kochs-to-rewrite-constitution/

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/right-wing-billionaires-want-to-rewrite-our-constitution-and-theyre-frighteningly-close-to-pulling-it-off/

And, a more alarmist version:

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/3/26/1647374/-Legit-This-Should-Scare-The-Bejesus-Out-Of-You?detail=facebook

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #601 on: March 29, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
I was posting elsewhere and it reminded me of a conversation I had that I thought might be helpful to some people here and spark some conversation here.

I went to a local school board meeting to ask them to be supportive of trans students (we're in the middle of a rather conservative area so I felt it wasn't something to be taken for granted). I have a toddler so I asked my not-politically-involved husband if he minded doing bedtime solo since I'd be going out.

Him: "Are you .... getting extra credit or something? Why are you going to a school board meeting?"
Me: "I'm going to ask them to support our trans students."
Him: [something about how I'm not trans, our kid isn't trans, etc. so again, why am I doing this?]
Me: "Because the people who are trans might be afraid of speaking up and it costs me nothing but a little time to speak up for them."
Him: "Huh. Well, okie doke."

From there the conversation moved on to other domestic topics. Would it be nice if he were more enthusiastically supportive? Sure. But his lack of interest doesn't have to hold me back. My work breaks are flexible so I'm able to step out to the parking lot and use that time to call my representatives using the issues from my daily Indivisible email, so that doesn't impact him but he also doesn't see the efforts I'm doing. I'm most likely going to attend the local March for Science and I'd like to take my kid with me in a stroller but I think he might be leery of taking our kid. He wasn't crazy about me doing that for the anti-Trump protest in November after the election but there were tons of other people there with their kids (kiddo ended up coming down with a cold so he stayed home anyway).

I feel like between some of my internet bubbles composed of people who are very enthusiastic about calling, providing scripts, what's today's issue, etc. and then existing in "real life" where I don't talk about it much (work, home) there's a weird contrast.

Is anyone else having similar interactions with lukewarm friends or family?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #602 on: March 29, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »
Is anyone else having similar interactions with lukewarm friends or family?

I have been slooowly working on my DH. There are some local issues he is interested in - mostly because they will affect development and property values in our area. Unfortunately he sees the state/national political landscape through a very cynical lens and our elected officials probably deserve the cynicism!

As I find well written articles about some of the scarier aspects of the current presidency I have been sending them to him so he understands how the landscape has changed and just how much is at stake. I've also been talking up the local climate march, which is scheduled for the end of April. I think he'll be willing to march when the time comes.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #603 on: March 29, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
Fortunately, my husband can't stand Trump, particularly his anti-science, anti-environmental policies.  He's gone to a local indivisible meeting with me, a swing left take back the house party, and a couple of town hall events with me, but I don't think his utter loathing is quite as energetic and incandescent as mine.  Or maybe he doesn't feel quite as at home with the mostly liberal crowds, since he only last fall renounced his party to re-register as an independent.  My anti-trump rage is probably obsessive enough for both of us, but I don't mind taking the lead on this.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #604 on: March 30, 2017, 06:54:18 AM »
Just called my Republican rep about HJ Resolution 43 which goes to vote today. It would repeal protections for funding for women's health care centers like Planned Parenthood. Since my rep is pro-life I phrased my message as protecting unborn babies because of the pregnancy services offered by these clinics as well as providing women's health care for the mothers so they can be healthy for their children.

Sockigal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #605 on: April 01, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
My daughter came home from college yesterday and we both went to the polls to vote for Jon Ossoff. I feel very lucky to be on the front lines here (6th district Georgia). I went to the local office for Jon Ossoff and picked up a couple of yard signs for me and my neighbor. I am only seeing Jon Ossoff signs in neighborhood yards here. The other candidates signs I have only seen on public property (road intersections) and I only began to notice them a couple of days ago. Seems like Ossoff has a lot of supporters in the city of Alpharetta, which is predominately conservative and I mean extremely conservative. I sometimes feel like the only democrat in Georgia! It feels great to have so many supporters putting up yard signs for Ossoff. During the presidential race, I only saw Trump signs. I was afraid my family would be targeted if I put up a Clinton sign or Bernie.

Hoping we can send a message to Washington Republicans, that we will not tolerate the dirty, slimy politics anymore! We need people in office that work for the citizens, not for their own self interest, foreign or corporate interests. We need representatives that want to work to improve the lives of the voters and will compromise to find solutions to real problems using real scientific information and facts. Just my opinion!

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: April 01, 2017, 09:28:36 AM »
My daughter came home from college yesterday and we both went to the polls to vote for Jon Ossoff. I feel very lucky to be on the front lines here (6th district Georgia). I went to the local office for Jon Ossoff and picked up a couple of yard signs for me and my neighbor. I am only seeing Jon Ossoff signs in neighborhood yards here. The other candidates signs I have only seen on public property (road intersections) and I only began to notice them a couple of days ago. Seems like Ossoff has a lot of supporters in the city of Alpharetta, which is predominately conservative and I mean extremely conservative. I sometimes feel like the only democrat in Georgia! It feels great to have so many supporters putting up yard signs for Ossoff. During the presidential race, I only saw Trump signs. I was afraid my family would be targeted if I put up a Clinton sign or Bernie.

Hoping we can send a message to Washington Republicans, that we will not tolerate the dirty, slimy politics anymore! We need people in office that work for the citizens, not for their own self interest, foreign or corporate interests. We need representatives that want to work to improve the lives of the voters and will compromise to find solutions to real problems using real scientific information and facts. Just my opinion!

Awesome!  I hope he does well.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #607 on: April 01, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »

Yessss! This is great.

I am planning to come down to Georgia to help with GOTV efforts in the final week of the campaign. Maybe I'll run into you. :)

Donations to Ossoff's campaign are being triple-matched right now! Anyone who wants to help out can send a little cash their way: https://electjon.com/

You can also do virtual phone banking from wherever you are. That link can set you up with that, under Volunteer. https://electjon.com/volunteer/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 09:39:56 AM by MonkeyJenga »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #608 on: April 02, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »
This is from Executive Women for Her: a free trip and free housing to Georgia to GOTV in the last week of the Ossoff campaign!

You need to register by TOMORROW, April 3.

Canvass in Atlanta!  Join a FREE bus going from several cities including NYC to Atlanta. Busses leave Friday the 14th and return Wednesday the 19th, with free accommodations while you’re there. You must RSVP by filling out this form by Monday April 3rd by 5pm  RESERVATION FORM. 

Cities:

NYC
Baltimore
DC
Charlotte
Nashville
Chattanooga
Birmingham
Raleigh/Durham

There is also space to enter a new city if not already listed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:51:37 PM by MonkeyJenga »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #609 on: April 03, 2017, 03:37:45 AM »
This is from Executive Women for Her: a free trip and free housing to Georgia to GOTV in the last week of the Ossoff campaign!

You need to register by TOMORROW, April 3.

Canvass in Atlanta!  Join a FREE bus going from several cities including NYC to Atlanta. Busses leave Friday the 14th and return Wednesday the 19th, with free accommodations while you’re there. You must RSVP by filling out this form by Monday April 3rd by 5pm  RESERVATION FORM. 

Cities:

NYC
Baltimore
DC
Charlotte
Nashville
Chattanooga
Birmingham
Raleigh/Durham

There is also space to enter a new city if not already listed.

Awesome. I sure hope Ossoff wins in the first round.

Sockigal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #610 on: April 03, 2017, 07:01:46 AM »
Just saw this horrible ad on TV this morning in the Atlanta area attacking Jon Ossoff. It's so ugly, misdirecting, untrue, sensationalized, ect.... What the heck is happening to our society? What turns my stomach the most lately is just how disgusting politics and society in general has gotten with just verbally attacking people and dividing us up. The way Trump and most of the rest of the GOP have been speaking about fellow citizens is not just ruthless and unjust, it's morally corrupt. Obviously some of our fellow citizens believe this stuff. It's meant to rile up their emotions and create as much fear as possible. I for one dream of a US where people are smart enough not to fall for the crap that is being flooded into the world. Ugh.... I just hope very few of our citizens fall for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr4RYY7Mpw4

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #611 on: April 03, 2017, 07:08:06 AM »
Just saw this horrible ad on TV this morning in the Atlanta area attacking Jon Ossoff. It's so ugly, misdirecting, untrue, sensationalized, ect.... What the heck is happening to our society? What turns my stomach the most lately is just how disgusting politics and society in general has gotten with just verbally attacking people and dividing us up. The way Trump and most of the rest of the GOP have been speaking about fellow citizens is not just ruthless and unjust, it's morally corrupt. Obviously some of our fellow citizens believe this stuff. It's meant to rile up their emotions and create as much fear as possible. I for one dream of a US where people are smart enough not to fall for the crap that is being flooded into the world. Ugh.... I just hope very few of our citizens fall for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr4RYY7Mpw4

Wow that ad's so bad it's almost funny. Except that I know it'll get into some peoples' heads and take hold. So, not so funny.

This whole liberal agenda conspiracy boogeyman is so stupid. Liberal minded people are like la la la la, what? Liberal minded people are just going about their days, completely disorganized politically. 

Meanwhile Grover Norquist continues his Wednesday meetings pushing talking points to all wings of the GOP base. The GOP propaganda arm is a well tuned machine at this point.

The amount of projection from the right is absolutely astounding.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #612 on: April 03, 2017, 08:20:32 AM »
My senator, Claire McCaskill, dithered last week about supporting Gorsuch but now has decided that even though calling herself a "moderate" she will vote against Gorsuch.

So, this morning I called her D.C. office to express my unhappiness that she is not representing her constituency. Moderate my ass, she lines up in lock step with every big Democratic vote.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #613 on: April 03, 2017, 11:40:26 AM »
Dear Iris lily,  All I want for Christmas is a moderate Justice. Take it from me... lifelong registered independent, socializing the whole day long with Republicans and Libertarians, have voted in the past for local Republican mayors and selectmen. It is not McCaskill who is extreme, it's Gorsuch. What you are seeing here is a revolt of the moderates.

The Republicans don't HAVE to go nuclear. They don't HAVE to change the rules. All they have to do is find a candidate who is more palatable to everyone.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #614 on: April 03, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »
Claire McCaskill has voted with Trump’s position 44% of the time. Lower than expected considering Trump's vote share in her state, but she is a Democrat.

This is a good resource to see how senators and reps align with Trump: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #615 on: April 03, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
My senator, Claire McCaskill, dithered last week about supporting Gorsuch but now has decided that even though calling herself a "moderate" she will vote against Gorsuch.

So, this morning I called her D.C. office to express my unhappiness that she is not representing her constituency. Moderate my ass, she lines up in lock step with every big Democratic vote.

Yeah...not wanting Gorsuch DOES make her a moderate. He's so extremely right wing on quite a few important issues that no one could call themselves moderate and want him on the SC.

The fact that conservatives don't even realize how extreme their side is getting, and that the standard for all of our politics keeps getting pushed RIGHT year after year (Clinton was actually a moderate-right candidate) makes me depressed for the state of the future.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #616 on: April 03, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »
Are we now debating actions and ideas now on this thread?

cool, I thought that was forbidden.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #617 on: April 03, 2017, 03:48:13 PM »

Iris Lily, much respect for calling your Senator.

Are we now debating actions and ideas now on this thread?

cool, I thought that was forbidden.

To me it appears that "Moderate my ass..." was the bait that began the discussion.  MJ set the thread rules and already responded by discussing, so I guess whether it's open season for debate depends on whether she reiterates the "please don't debate the issues" principle or not.

Personally, I prefer the just-the-reporting-of-actions-and-mentioning-of-possible-actions format because I've read enough politics discussion threads.  I like it when people whose views oppose mine take action on them as citizens, as you did, because it's better to have a republic of full participation than just one that agrees with me.  IMHO a thread that focuses on the action part is valuable.  Fwiw, I created a Politics Octagon thread for discussions of politics that branch off from this thread (it hasn't been used much).

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #618 on: April 03, 2017, 04:22:16 PM »
Sorry, I guess I derailed the thread! I'll get it back on track:

Forwarded this awesome spreadsheet "NoProbeNoRobe" to family out of state.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XpnUJdUuMvhszIX3RWJ8b0N7F3UYQHVFAB56DS4v3DE/edit#gid=0

Wrote to Gov. Cuomo and leaders of the NY Assembly in favor of early voting, auto-registration, and to close the LLC loophole allowing LLCs (mostly real estate groups) to make virtually unlimited donations to state candidates.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #619 on: April 03, 2017, 11:01:40 PM »
One of my favorite things to do is infiltrate a space where my opinions are unpopular, spew unpopular opinions, point at the guidelines that don't specifically outlaw my presence, and sit back and laugh. I've found that it really endears me to people and helps accomplish lots of my goals.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #620 on: April 04, 2017, 02:52:48 AM »
If you're concerned about the direction of global warming policy, you can get a good bang for the buck donating to

http://citizensclimatelobby.org

They work with a bi-partisan climate change council in Washington.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #621 on: April 04, 2017, 08:49:52 AM »
One of my favorite things to do is infiltrate a space where my opinions are unpopular, spew unpopular opinions, point at the guidelines that don't specifically outlaw my presence, and sit back and laugh. I've found that it really endears me to people and helps accomplish lots of my goals.

What we all do have in common is a genuine interest in improving our country, and doing that by greater involvement in political systems. I greatly respect that process and that activity. I wouldn't expect everyone to agree on all issues facing our nation.

That we disagree here on this board  on issues of "improvement" is a testament to diversity, on this board and in this country. God Bless America.

Now, to get back to topic:today my citizen action today will be to vote. We have a municipal election with several propositions and city offices.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #622 on: April 04, 2017, 07:27:35 PM »
My daily acts of resistance today were less tangible. I biked home (13 miles, including a grocery stop) because Fuck Climate Change.

I got most of my victory garden planted/seeded.

I watched a documentary about spacetime and relativity, because educating ourselves on any and all topics is both a generally good idea and, apparently, against what this president wants (a stupid population).

Am going to go email my congress people about Gorsuch right now.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #624 on: April 05, 2017, 02:14:32 AM »
Yesterday I helped a friend gather signatures and put the papers together for a local election run against an incumbent who lately has made a big and seemingly unjustifiable decision which will cause great harm to our local environment.  She's now on the ballot!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #625 on: April 05, 2017, 03:23:55 AM »
My daily acts of resistance today were less tangible. I biked home (13 miles, including a grocery stop) because Fuck Climate Change.

I got most of my victory garden planted/seeded.

I watched a documentary about spacetime and relativity, because educating ourselves on any and all topics is both a generally good idea and, apparently, against what this president wants (a stupid population).

Am going to go email my congress people about Gorsuch right now.

We haven't owned a car since June 2016. We bike everywhere. We've contemplated getting a car but, like you, I keep thinking, "fuck climate change."

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #626 on: April 05, 2017, 03:27:52 AM »
You can phonebank, donate, and/or or vote in upcoming elections:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BlueMidterm2018/comments/62p0hn/phonebank_list_updated

April 11th- James Thompson for Congress (Kansas)
April 18th- khalid kamau for City Council (Georgia)
April 18th- Jon Ossoff for Congress (Georgia)
June 15th Julie Bird Ashworth (Tennessee)

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #627 on: April 05, 2017, 05:18:24 PM »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #628 on: April 08, 2017, 06:41:23 AM »

Thanks Malaysia41, I donated to Thompson through your link, and phonebanked a little too!  He's the dark horse from Kansas... special elections in 3 days!  I hear he's turning out to be a surprise hit, despite being in a ruby-red state, having little or no support from the national or state Democratic party, and no press from nationwide campaigns like flippable and Sister District who focused on Ossoff, whose race was seen as winnable.   The House Republicans have been pouring money into the race at the last minute, and even Pence and Cruz are mobilizing against him.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #629 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »
I've been doing so many things... Fundraising, tabling, phone banking, organizing meetings, going down to Georgia this week to GOTV for Ossoff, who we're going to have a pool party with!

Right now I'm getting awareness around the Kansas race by sharing this on Facebook. You can post this too and tag friends you know are active.

There's a really tight race going on in Kansas TOMORROW. We have a chance to flip a red district blue! If you have half an hour today, please call some voters for James Thompson. They give you a script, and the system you call into automatically connects you to voters. Easy peasy. http://www.votejamesthompson.com/phonebank?

If I can do this with terrible cramps, you have no excuse.

Also, can we please all be nice? Even if we disagree? This thread is intended for resistance against the Republicans and making sure Dems support that goal, but Iris lily has given some valuable suggestions on how to make a difference.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:39:09 PM by MonkeyJenga »

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #630 on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »
My local Indivisible is getting more sporadic about sending out the daily action email, but even though I didn't get one today I did make a point of calling my rep to verify that he changed his mind on Trump disclosing his tax returns and also to thank him for doing two town halls in my area in two months, and being respectful about fully answering constituents' questions when he was there. Both town halls were organized by the local Indivisible group and I wasn't able to attend either one, but I still appreciate that he took the time to come to them. Even though I disagree strongly with a bunch of his political views, I do feel that he's conducting himself very well in his actions and given how divided things feel right now in our country it's nice to be able to reach out with a friendly message. Too bad there's a video clip of him accidentally admitting that he thinks he works for the president first and his constituents second-ish.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #631 on: April 19, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »

Don't forget May 25th - Rob Quist for Congress (Montana).  I think the SC election for Mick Mulvaney's seat will be in June, but they have to hold the primaries first. 

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #632 on: May 01, 2017, 08:07:23 AM »
MJ can slap my wrist if I'm off topic, but political affiliate aside, I think we can all agree about the horrible merchandise (I mean political merchandise in general, but some of it is more horrible than others)

In more relevant material. How are things going? I've been mobile again and left my previous local Indivisible group so I don't see updates. Going to be stationary again for a while.

Latest thing pissing me off is going to be random announcements about leaving trade agreements. I really assume at some point the Republican oligarchy would stand up as the party of the rich and say "stop making us poor again", but the isolation seems to be winning over staying great.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #633 on: May 01, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »
Spent the afternoon knocking on doors in my community and informing them about upcoming local elections.  Well out of my comfort zone, and I was dreading it for weeks, but in the end a surprisingly positive experience.  We found and informed a surprising number of people who had no idea about off year elections, as well as enjoyed good conversations with several interested voters. Some even invited us for coffee! Would do it again. 

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #634 on: May 04, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »
Voiced my opposition to the AHCA. My Rep is SUPER Red, so I framed it as damaging to small business owners and entrepreneurs like me.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #635 on: May 04, 2017, 11:03:02 AM »
Spent the afternoon knocking on doors in my community and informing them about upcoming local elections.  Well out of my comfort zone, and I was dreading it for weeks, but in the end a surprisingly positive experience.  We found and informed a surprising number of people who had no idea about off year elections, as well as enjoyed good conversations with several interested voters. Some even invited us for coffee! Would do it again.
that is the HARD chit, I think. Knocking on doors, ugh. So,  good for you!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #636 on: May 04, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »

Agreed. Awesome work, Poundwise.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: May 04, 2017, 12:30:52 PM »

Agreed. Awesome work, Poundwise.
WOW!  You're awesome, Poundwise!  I struggle with making phone calls!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: May 12, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »
Thanks Iris, LifeHappens, 4alpacas!  Actually it was much easier than I expected,  after having been hardened by internet trolls and making phone calls. People are usually quite nice face to face, and it's easier to avoid misunderstandings. I followed up in the last week by going to two protests (I was too early for one protest, and ended up walking around alone with a sign like a crazy person, and being yelled at by some mean ladies in MAGA hats.)

I think after having been through all this, I'm pretty much prepared for anything except perhaps being arrested or beaten up (and hopefully it will never come to that).  It's been a growing experience for me. I've had to overcome a lot of fears and anxieties. Even if I achieve nothing politically, at least I have accomplished a lot of positive personal development in only half a year.

I recognize that all this activism is not for everyone.  Probably, a lot of it can be bypassed by donating money to politicians and causes that we support. But this is MMM after all, where we do it ourselves instead of paying to outsource. ;)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #639 on: May 12, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
Mother's Day idea: donate some money to help other mothers get out of jail. These are women who can't pay bail. They're in jail without having stood trial, almost always for very minor offenses. They deserve to be with their families too.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #640 on: May 13, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
I have not been posting much on this thread, but I have been staying politically active. My latest project seems like one I should share here. Tomorrow I am going to print out a number of these and distribute them:

http://www.avclub.com/article/people-are-printing-out-sean-spicers-and-hiding-th-255255

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #641 on: May 13, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
I have not been posting much on this thread, but I have been staying politically active. My latest project seems like one I should share here. Tomorrow I am going to print out a number of these and distribute them:

http://www.avclub.com/article/people-are-printing-out-sean-spicers-and-hiding-th-255255
OMG Nooooooooo!!! ! Haha, that is  hilarious. It is pranky, but political. You get the politicall action points.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:12:59 PM by iris lily »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #642 on: May 13, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »
Thanks Iris, LifeHappens, 4alpacas!  Actually it was much easier than I expected,  after having been hardened by internet trolls and making phone calls. People are usually quite nice face to face, and it's easier to avoid misunderstandings. I followed up in the last week by going to two protests (I was too early for one protest, and ended up walking around alone with a sign like a crazy person, and being yelled at by some mean ladies in MAGA hats.)

I think after having been through all this, I'm pretty much prepared for anything except perhaps being arrested or beaten up (and hopefully it will never come to that).  It's been a growing experience for me. I've had to overcome a lot of fears and anxieties. Even if I achieve nothing politically, at least I have accomplished a lot of positive personal development in only half a year.

I recognize that all this activism is not for everyone.  Probably, a lot of it can be bypassed by donating money to politicians and causes that we support. But this is MMM after all, where we do it ourselves instead of paying to outsource. ;)

I'm impressed and inspired Poundwise. I'm working with a group to come up with language to provide to people like you going door to door. I keep reminding myself of the Mark Twain quote: "It's easier to fool a man, than convince him he's been fooled."  Our framing has to inspire ideas that invite people to consider them. And I'm just talking about framing discussions back to simple clear language that isn't loaded with a presumption of a solution. It isn't the loaded language  the word crafters of the Republican Noise machine have been pushing for 3 decades ('death taxes', 'government takeover of healthcare', 'death panels', 'climate change'). But it's hard work.

Anyway - you're inspiring me to keep going with the group I organized. Sometimes I get so discouraged I want to give up. But then I read the news and I know I can't. So thanks. And keep it up. We MUST get people to ALL elections - especially off-cycle elections.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #643 on: May 20, 2017, 09:51:30 AM »
I am organizing a trip to Georgia for New Yorkers to volunteer with the Ossoff campaign. I went down with a group in April for the primary. I had an amazing time and made a lot of great contacts. The next trip will likely have a bus/van going on June 17-21.

If anyone knows someone in NYC who might be interested, please PM me! The campaign will house them, feed them, and pay for their trip down. (Unless you want to fly, for compliance reasons.)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #644 on: May 20, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »
I am organizing a trip to Georgia for New Yorkers to volunteer with the Ossoff campaign. I went down with a group in April for the primary. I had an amazing time and made a lot of great contacts. The next trip will likely have a bus/van going on June 17-21.

If anyone knows someone in NYC who might be interested, please PM me! The campaign will house them, feed them, and pay for their trip down. (Unless you want to fly, for compliance reasons.)

Thank you for doing this, MJ

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #645 on: May 20, 2017, 05:31:26 PM »
Aw shucks joon and Malaysia! :blush

+1.   A big credit for my new activism goes to you, MonkeyJenga!  If I hadn't heard about Indivisible from you I might still be sitting around getting mad at the news, but not actually doing anything besides signing an internet petition every few months. You have been an inspiration!! <B
[And yes, I'll pass the word about the bus...]

SisterX, thank you for telling us about the Brooklyn Bail Fund for mothers.  It's great because the same donation can be used again and again.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #646 on: May 21, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »
While doing some spring cleaning I found 10 unused women's march post cards. I'm embarrassed I forgot about them so now I've written about 2020 census funding and public service student loan forgiveness to my federal reps.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #647 on: May 22, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »

+1.   A big credit for my new activism goes to you, MonkeyJenga!  If I hadn't heard about Indivisible from you I might still be sitting around getting mad at the news, but not actually doing anything besides signing an internet petition every few months. You have been an inspiration!! <B
[And yes, I'll pass the word about the bus...]

:))))) Thanks y'all. I keep saying my biggest strength is in getting other people to do work.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:59:07 PM by MonkeyJenga »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #648 on: May 23, 2017, 07:13:27 AM »
I sent an email today to the Senate committee regarding the Health Care Bill that they are drafting in secret.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/opinion/health-care-bill-senate.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

Senate is taking up a very quiet and closed to the public effort to draft its own legislation of the AHCA. A select few people have been invited to send feedback to an email address healthreform@finance.senate.gov no later than today

The CBO should release the score for the house version tomorrow.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #649 on: May 24, 2017, 04:00:49 PM »
Made triple-matched donation to Ossoff campaign.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!