Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290821 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #500 on: February 20, 2017, 04:56:02 PM »
I’m helping flip/keep seats blue! I donated to special elections in Delaware and Georgia. Delaware’s is in 5 days, Feb 25. A Democrat won in 2014 by only 267 votes.

You can also help by making calls to voters in those districts.

https://www.flippable.org/upcoming-elections/

It also helps to share this on Facebook etc even if you don't think people will care. I posted about the Delaware election previously, and someone I only met once thanked me, since he's from there. He donated and told all his friends about it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: February 20, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »
I’m helping flip/keep seats blue! I donated to special elections in Delaware and Georgia. Delaware’s is in 5 days, Feb 25. A Democrat won in 2014 by only 267 votes.

You can also help by making calls to voters in those districts.

https://www.flippable.org/upcoming-elections/

It also helps to share this on Facebook etc even if you don't think people will care. I posted about the Delaware election previously, and someone I only met once thanked me, since he's from there. He donated and told all his friends about it.
Awesome! Thanks!

A friend and I wrote ~15 postcards each today over lunch. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #502 on: February 20, 2017, 06:17:41 PM »
Writing my weekly letters to my elected officials. Which topic should I write to them this week? Last week was reiterating my concern about 45's conflicts of interests. Along those same lines I was thinking this week to ask for an investigation into his Russian ties. Anyone else have suggestions?

Have you read the Indivisible guide? They say phone calls get tallied every day. I don't think the letters get tallied.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #503 on: February 20, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »
Writing my weekly letters to my elected officials. Which topic should I write to them this week? Last week was reiterating my concern about 45's conflicts of interests. Along those same lines I was thinking this week to ask for an investigation into his Russian ties. Anyone else have suggestions?

Have you read the Indivisible guide? They say phone calls get tallied every day. I don't think the letters get tallied.

It may vary by rep. My reps tally calls, emails, and letters/postcards. It's worth calling once and asking what gets counted. Calls do have a bigger impact, especially if you have a personal story. If you don't have time to call or can't get through, emails and postcards are a decent alternative (probably).

Also postcards are better than letters in envelopes. There's a huge backlog of letters since they need to be opened and screened for containing substances. Postcards get through much faster.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #504 on: February 21, 2017, 06:04:23 AM »

It may vary by rep. My reps tally calls, emails, and letters/postcards. It's worth calling once and asking what gets counted. Calls do have a bigger impact, especially if you have a personal story. If you don't have time to call or can't get through, emails and postcards are a decent alternative (probably).

Also postcards are better than letters in envelopes. There's a huge backlog of letters since they need to be opened and screened for containing substances. Postcards get through much faster.

Yes I have, but my schedule is more friendly to writing postcards. My two federal Senators, my state senator and my state representative have all responded to my e-mails and postcards quite quickly. The only person who has not responded to anything is my congressional representative. I think I'll have to call his D.C. Office or visit his district office. Unfortunately I don't have time during the week to make calls so I will have to try this weekend

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #505 on: February 21, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »

Yes I have, but my schedule is more friendly to writing postcards. My two federal Senators, my state senator and my state representative have all responded to my e-mails and postcards quite quickly. The only person who has not responded to anything is my congressional representative. I think I'll have to call his D.C. Office or visit his district office. Unfortunately I don't have time during the week to make calls so I will have to try this weekend
I like to mix up my method of contact--postcards, e-mails, fax (faxzero.com for 5 free faxes/day), and calls. 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #508 on: February 23, 2017, 07:05:07 AM »
Anyone know how to craft a press release?  Met with my representative's district counsel yesterday and heard some interesting things.  Two things stood out (1) she did not expect us to discuss National Security and our congressman's No vote on 45's tax returns on the Ways and Means committee.  She expected us to want to talk about the ACA and had a pre-prepared sheet that started off with an inflammatory statement and proceeded to list talking points and meaningless platitudes.  (2) She also mentioned that his scheduler had received hundreds of emails asking to meet with the congressman but that he would not hold a town hall and that the scheduler was having trouble responding to all the requests.  We asked for a meeting with him in two months and was told she could not confirm in that he was so busy.   

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #509 on: February 23, 2017, 07:26:04 AM »
I hope this moronic survey is beingn blown uphttps://gop.com/mainstream-media-accountability-survey/

It's a tiny thing, but it's pissing me off, so I took it last night, and my dog took it this morning.

Hats off to everyone in this thread who is doing so much more.

Use throw away email addresses i.e. get a free email account and use that address otherwise you will get SPAMMED sooner or later. My throw away address gets tens of SPAM messages a day. I check it once a month and delete everything. Hundreds of messages!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #510 on: February 23, 2017, 07:38:55 AM »
But now President Trump is asking you to go the extra mile and make a contribution to help defend our movement from the outrageous attacks from the media coming our way.

Contribute now to help us fight back against the media’s attacks and deceptions

I thought the billionaire didn't need to beg for money...

Let trump and his billionaire friends fund whatever the flip they want to fund.

Billionaire asking a guy that makes $40K a year for money. Are you kidding me??? Let the GOP create a GoFundMe page.

From the survey: "Do you believe that if Republicans were obstructing Obama like Democrats are doing to President Trump, the mainstream media would attack Republicans?"

IF Republicans were obstructing Obama? Oh that's rich...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:01:28 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #511 on: February 23, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
Here is a really easy action item. I just did this and left a message. I wish I would have added why I oppose Steve Bannon. Maybe one of you can add a sentence or two to help sum up the reasons why he should not be on the NSC.
Super-Easy Action Item:
Help block Steve Bannon in 15 seconds or less. The Senate Committee on Homeland Security is inviting comment and COUNTING calls before deciding whether or not to approve Steve Bannon's appointment to the National Security Council.
Call and leave a message at: 202-224-4751.
Message: "My name is ______. I am from the state of ____ and am an American citizen. I oppose Steve Bannon being confirmed to sit on our National Security Council."
I just did this -- voicemail box was NOT full.

Did it!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #512 on: February 23, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »
Anyone know how to craft a press release?

PM me your email address and I'll ask NY's PR team to get in touch with you. They may have templates or examples.

ETA: There are also tips in the Indivisible Group Leader Toolkit: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/group-toolkit#media-header
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:32:18 AM by MonkeyJenga »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #513 on: February 23, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »
NY Indivisible held a Town Hall last night. I am traveling, but by all accounts it went fabulously! We packed an 800+ seat venue and had people watching the livestream from all over the country. This was our first big event and I'm so, so happy it went well. We didn't get our senators to show up (booo!) but we had 6 speakers from amazing organizations. Still following up with media outlets to ensure coverage.

Short clip from NYCLU speaker, and a glimpse of an audience member waving a flag: https://twitter.com/ny_indivisible/status/834581645629997056

I drafted the follow-up email to encourage attendees to get involved further.

We're also raising funds to cover the cost of the venue. A couple people in our group generously put up the money in advance. We're already up to $1,190 of the $1,500 needed!

I am coordinating a meeting between my district's Indivisible group and our House Rep. No town hall, so we will need to press for one during the next congressional recess.

I didn't expect to be doing this much work while on vacation!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:17:49 PM by MonkeyJenga »

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #514 on: February 23, 2017, 01:09:48 PM »
Called my senator to thank him after attending his town hall meeting earlier this week and contributed to his reelection campaign.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #515 on: February 24, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
Does anyone have a script for how to ask what counts, in terms of phone calls/emails/faxes/etc.? I tried to ask the other day but fumbled the question so I got a kind of wishy washy answer.

I finally added the different office numbers into my phone for my senators, the timing works out well for me to take my break and walk the parking lot. I get the Indivisible email every day and write down my one issue on a post it to take with me as I go outside. I can call a few numbers and get through the busy signals and full voice mail boxes and finally get through to a person for each senator, then walk back in within fifteen minutes.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #516 on: February 24, 2017, 02:59:31 PM »
I made all my phone calls for the day. Congress got messages regarding the NSC. With State representatives I asked them to pass the sanctuary state bill. I've been calling my congresspeople for a while, but have expanded it to include state representatives.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #517 on: February 24, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »
Another idea if calls and postcards aren't your "thing":   Friend signed up for 2 tickets at the Trump rally in FL on DT's website.  Friend DID NOT GO.  So 2 empty seats.  You can use a dummy email so as not to be spammed by DT and company.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #518 on: February 24, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »
Contact your state rep and ask him/her to please cosponsor Rep. Nadler's demand that the Department of Justice turn over all relevant material on Trump's potential ties with Russia and any possible business conflicts of interest.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-conflicts-house-resolution-235288

My rep responds well to tweets so I am going to reference #ResolutionofInquiry.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #519 on: February 24, 2017, 09:35:16 PM »
Inspiration: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/false-flag-operation-at-cpac/517842/

(MJ, if this is something you'd rather I not post I will delete it.)

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #520 on: February 26, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #521 on: February 28, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
Called the Senate Intelligence Committee, and asked for a truly bi-partisan inquiry and transparency regarding their findings. Call, leave a message or send a fax

202-224-1700

202-224-1772

Optional script:
I am urging Sen/Rep_____ to ask for a bi-partisan select committee to investigate Trump’s ties with Russia.  I believe that this is the only way to conduct a truly independent and thorough investigation – one that happens in the public eye, and results in a transparent delivery of its findings. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #522 on: March 06, 2017, 06:52:58 PM »
5 Calls has apps for Google Play and Apple now: https://5calls.org/

The site also still has plenty of scripts to use. You can choose which issue you care about, and they will give you background, scripts, and numbers to call.

I was at a NY Indivisible meeting on Sunday, and one item we discussed is that the call volume is dropping off significantly. It is VITAL that we keep calling! The pressure put on Sessions, and the outcry after he was confirmed, helped force him to recuse himself.

If you fax, include your full name, address, and phone number. Otherwise it won't get counted.

I am helping plan another NY Indivisible town hall for the April congressional recess. We wanted to try for March 16, but we did the last event in 2 weeks and it was insane pressure.

Instead, we are teaming up with a group already holding an event on the ACA and LGBTQ rights next Sunday. They need our help getting the word out so they can fill the 350-seat space.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #523 on: March 06, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »
Daily Action for March 6, 2017: Georgia's Special Election to Replace Tom Price

I donated more money yesterday to Jon Ossoff. Contributions are being matched by anonymous donors, so even if you can only contribute $10, that's $20 going to him.

This is the most critical election of 2017. Jon is running in a traditionally red district in Georgia that Trump only won by 1.5 points. If a Democrat can take this seat, it would create huge momentum for other special elections in 2017 and the larger map in 2018.

To donate: https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/flipga6

To volunteer (they reportedly set up virtual phone banking): https://electjon.com/volunteer/

We can make a real difference.

Flippable and Sister District helped raise $130,000 and mobilize volunteers for a state senate special election in Delaware. This seat would determine control of the Delaware Senate. The Republican candidate had lost the previous election by only 2 points, and turnout is always low in special elections, which favors Republicans.

The Democrat, Stephanie Hansen, won by 16 points.

Every dollar helps, and every call helps.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:14:32 PM by MonkeyJenga »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: March 07, 2017, 05:14:46 AM »
Hey MonkeyJenga, my local Indivisible group had our kickoff meeting yesterday. We are small but feisty! I invited two friends whom I thought would be interested, and they were!

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #525 on: March 07, 2017, 06:25:04 AM »
Attended swing left house party Saturday night and congresswoman 's town hall Sunday.  Emailed state rep Monday about a conversion therapy bill in my state, called congresswoman with follow up comments on town hall, contributed to senator 's re-election campaign.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: March 07, 2017, 07:10:16 AM »
I'd like some thoughts about calling.  My congress rep is R, and basically a robot.  One of the ones who didn't do a town hall, etc.

My senator is D and seems fairly awesome based on his twitter & positions.

5calls only has things to call on my senator for.  I can call to say he is great, and I support him, but I feel like it would make more of a difference to get my congress rep actually feeling some pressure and voting his conscience on a couple of the more egregious measures. 

Thoughts/ideas?  When I couldn't sleep on Sunday night, I was trying to figure out a script along the lines of "I want the congressman to think about what line he isn't willing to cross in supporting this WH leadership and write it down.  And then look at it every day to make sure he hasn't crossed it yet.  It would also be great if he communicated to his constituents what that line is."  But I fear that is sounding crackpotty.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #527 on: March 07, 2017, 07:27:38 AM »
I'd like some thoughts about calling.  My congress rep is R, and basically a robot.  One of the ones who didn't do a town hall, etc.

My senator is D and seems fairly awesome based on his twitter & positions.

5calls only has things to call on my senator for.  I can call to say he is great, and I support him, but I feel like it would make more of a difference to get my congress rep actually feeling some pressure and voting his conscience on a couple of the more egregious measures. 

Thoughts/ideas?  When I couldn't sleep on Sunday night, I was trying to figure out a script along the lines of "I want the congressman to think about what line he isn't willing to cross in supporting this WH leadership and write it down.  And then look at it every day to make sure he hasn't crossed it yet.  It would also be great if he communicated to his constituents what that line is."  But I fear that is sounding crackpotty.
You need help from whoever else in your area has the same feelings.  Democrats?  Indivisible?  There will be someone who is already organising in your area and whom you could support.  For representatives who are "missing in action" there have been some awesome "missing" posters and milk cartons, etc.

If you are contacting your representative direct, you need to make it positive, specific and actionable: "support the inquiry into the Trump campaign's Russia connections", for instance.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #528 on: March 07, 2017, 07:50:01 AM »
Plainjane, both are necessary. Call your senator to express support on specific votes or actions, and call your congressman to express displeasure.

The most effective call is about a specific vote or action you want them to take in the next few days. A general request to be better isn't going to do anything.

Do you have an Indivisible group in your district? They or another local activist group can help organize around issues and develop scripts. Indivisible has a guide on getting invisible reps to hold town halls.

Two important issues to call about now at all levels is Sessions/Russia and the ACA. Both houses can call for investigations and other actions on Russia, and the house is about to vote on ACA repeal and "replacement". Tell your rep to vote against repeal.

You mentioned one senator. What about the other?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #529 on: March 07, 2017, 07:54:40 AM »
Attended swing left house party Saturday night and congresswoman 's town hall Sunday.  Emailed state rep Monday about a conversion therapy bill in my state, called congresswoman with follow up comments on town hall, contributed to senator 's re-election campaign.

Hey MonkeyJenga, my local Indivisible group had our kickoff meeting yesterday. We are small but feisty! I invited two friends whom I thought would be interested, and they were!

High five to both of you!

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #530 on: March 07, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »
I am in a blue state, and most of what my congressional representatives say and do I am in general agreement with.  In Senator Blumenthal's town hall recently, someone asked the question of what use it is to call your senators/representatives if you agree with them, and he said we should "keep preaching to the choir, because we (they) need to hear it." They keep track of numbers of calls/emails on specific issues.   So I call my people to thank them when they do things I like and to remind them to keep talking about Russia and taxes etc because we the people think it's important, and I let them know when I contribute to their reelection campaign because I appreciate that they did x.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #531 on: March 07, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »
You mentioned one senator. What about the other?

Oh, one senator is good from the get go.  The other senator needed a slight spine adjustment, but seems on track for everything I've looked at recently.

One of my challenges is that I'm an overseas voter.  So I can't attend anything.  And there are some topics I can't speak to from a personal perspective.  It's more a moral perspective.  And for the ppl who don't like the overseas voters getting involved - stop making me file taxes (which reduces the tax advantaged savings I can do in my home country), and I will stop phoning.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: March 08, 2017, 10:13:06 PM »
The following bills have been introduced while we are distracted by imaginary bugging, etc.
1. HR 861 Terminate the Environmental Protection Agency
2. HR 610 Vouchers for Public Education
3. HR 899 Terminate the Department of Education
4. HJR 69 Repeal Rule Protecting Wildlife
5. HR 370 Repeal Affordable Care Act
6. HR 354 Defund Planned Parenthood
7. HR 785 National "Right to Work" (anti-union)
8. HR 83 Mobilizing Against Sanctuary Cities Bill
9. HR 147 “Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act” (criminalizing abortion)
10. HR 808 Sanctions against Iran

You can read the full text of these bills here: https://www.congress.gov/browse

And summaries are here:
http://www.snopes.com/bills-introduced-by-republicans/
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2017/mar/07/social-media/social-media-post-pending-gop-bills-largely-accura/

If there are things on this list that bother you call your House Representative and ask them to not only vote "NO"...but to speak up for our rights, health & safety, and our country. And PASS IT ON...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:48:23 PM by Poundwise »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #533 on: March 11, 2017, 04:06:32 PM »
Brought my district Indivisible group to our rep's town hall today and got contact info for her staff and some of the speakers. Also recruited more people to Indivisible. Just randomly started talking to people and asking if they had heard of it.

Tomorrow I will attend the NY Indivisible weekly meeting and then staff an event on the ACA and LGBT issues.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #534 on: March 11, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »
Today I attended an ACLU resistance training. It was a broadcast from Miami and I went to a house party here in town to watch it. Nice group of people came -- we met at a local co-operative house and that was also cool. I also went to a coffee shop and did some work on my book.

Tomorrow I'm making my podcast and then Monday I'm singing at the bedside of a man who's in hospice care. All good resistances!

Hey I'm gonna have to stop calling Cory Gardner my piece of shit senator because he is one of 4 republican senators who have come out against any curtailments of the Medicaid expansion in the ACA. I think the thousands of phone calls and the many town halls we had without him are having an impact! Great to see. Rachel Maddox had a segment on him last night and how the pressure seems to be working. Great stuff.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #535 on: March 11, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
Today I hosted about a dozen like minded souls to write postcards for the "ides of Trump" action on March 15. It was cathartic and supportive. Will it help? Probably not likely, but it is satisfying to visualize the avalanche of mail hitting 1600 Pennsylvania NW with so many people registering their discontent.

One thing that came out of our group was the idea that we'd like to meet on a semi regular basis to write to congresspeople with cards of thanks for jobs well done, and also to those who are performing deplorably in the areas of climate change, the ACA, education, et al, remind them that they work for ALL the American people.

Resist!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #536 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
Just donated to Jon Ossoff's campaign. This is the first time I've ever donated to a campaign for someone I do not personally know!

Also signed up for Sierra Club's Climate Defenders Conference call tonight at 7:45 EDT.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #537 on: March 14, 2017, 12:10:50 PM »
Called House Intelligence Committee, both the Minority Staff and Majority Staff, requesting an  independent investigation into Trump and his administration's Russian ties. Minority staff said they are logging calls. Majority staff sounded sulky.

Minority Staff Office: (202) 225-7690
Majority Staff Office (202) 225-4121

By the way, I don't remember who recommended Rogan's list, but it's great! http://roganslist.blogspot.com/

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #538 on: March 14, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »
Called House Intelligence Committee, both the Minority Staff and Majority Staff, requesting an  independent investigation into Trump and his administration's Russian ties. Minority staff said they are logging calls. Majority staff sounded sulky.

Minority Staff Office: (202) 225-7690
Majority Staff Office (202) 225-4121

By the way, I don't remember who recommended Rogan's list, but it's great! http://roganslist.blogspot.com/

Haha, I also got a friendly minority staffer and a technically polite but grumpy sounding majority staffer.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #539 on: March 14, 2017, 12:34:41 PM »
http://jdaysy.tumblr.com/post/158342651491/sanguinarysanguinity-khealywu

For mathematicians:

A 5-day summer school will be offered at Tufts University from August 7-11, 2017, with the principal purpose of training mathematicians to be expert witnesses for court cases on redistricting and gerrymandering.

Topics covered in the summer school will include:
the legal history of the Voting Rights Act and its subsequent renewals, extensions, and clarifications;
an explanation of “traditional districting principles,” especially compactness;
a course in metric geometry and mathematical ideas for perimeter-free compactness;
basic rudiments of GIS and the technical side of how shapefiles work;
training on being an expert witness;
ideas for incorporating voting and civil rights into mathematics teaching.

Applications due March 31.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #540 on: March 14, 2017, 12:49:18 PM »
Well, my god. Math and GIS; that happens to be right up my alley. Application submitted.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #541 on: March 14, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »
Well, my god. Math and GIS; that happens to be right up my alley. Application submitted.

Passed this on to a friend who is a math prof. Asked him to share with his network - and he has a LARGE network.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #542 on: March 15, 2017, 09:21:22 AM »
Forwarded the link to that site to my dad, who has a master's in math. Perhaps a good use of retirement time?

Sam, you'd be such a kick-ass expert witness.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #543 on: March 15, 2017, 02:57:12 PM »
I'm headed to the airport again tonight. We won the last round on the Muslim ban. Building on our past successes is how we will turn this ship around. We can do this!
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/15/battle-over-new-travel-ban-here-protest

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #544 on: March 15, 2017, 04:51:27 PM »
I'm headed to the airport again tonight. We won the last round on the Muslim ban. Building on our past successes is how we will turn this ship around. We can do this!
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/15/battle-over-new-travel-ban-here-protest

Nice! Maddow just tweeted that Muslim Ban 2.0 has been blocked by Hawaii Federal Courts already!
https://twitter.com/maddow/status/842144926611697664

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #545 on: March 15, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »

Nice! Maddow just tweeted that Muslim Ban 2.0 has been blocked by Hawaii Federal Courts already!
https://twitter.com/maddow/status/842144926611697664

I just saw that! I guess I am not headed to the airport tonight :)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #546 on: March 15, 2017, 10:50:32 PM »

Keep us posted on this. Awesome!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #547 on: March 15, 2017, 11:20:38 PM »
My daily acts of resistance have been communicating with the GOP ideologues in my family. It's maddening. But there are ways to talk to them to find common ground. (Right?)

I've been mulling over an idea. The reason, as far as I can tell, that the Republican Noise Machine has been so effective over the last 4 decades, is that they've flooded news, radio, book, 'academic' paper channels with their toady talking points. I'm thinking of publishing an ebook that recasts the talking points in language that will resonate, but bring more of a civil rights, human rights, *actual* science perspective.

Sure - there's lots of books calling this shit out - but they're written liberals, not conservatives. I want to bring the same info but to a conservative reader. you know - one who 'likes' the Rowdy Republican FB page and gets off on authoritarian disciplinarian stories. (shudder - it's ugly in there folks.).

Hey - if you know of a book that brings progressive minded ideas to more conservative minded reader, please point me to it - I'll send a copy to everyone in my family, and put this idea of authoring a new book to rest immediately.

If any of you think you'd want to contribute to such a book, PM me. It's just an idea at this point, on the back burner ...  but I've been accumulating emails and Facebook chats, my own online articles, etc. and maybe we could borrow from other books - like the idea of corp/govt collusion and profiteering as cited by Lakoff so often in his works.

It's tough work, and it makes me angry, because these people are so unwilling reconsider. One maddening behavior is their willingness to get distracted into non-answers or to jump over to a talking point that doesn't even address the issue I've brought up.

Even as I type this I want to give up. I mean what's the point? It seems hopeless. I suppose we could just wait to see what their 'rock bottom' authoritarian anti-human government will look like. I just don't see them recognizing how bad things are until we've been dragged way lower than we want to be.

I want to give up. But then I think oh hell no. We're smart people. We can write, we can call this shit out - even when the game rules have our hands tied and our feet in cement boots. We can still type with our noses. No?

And I have had some small wins:  I did convince him to call his house rep and ask him to co-sign/support HJR48(115th) to make the constitution only apply to humans and not corporations.

Why let the Frank Luntz's and 18 hyper-funded conservative think tanks get away with this manipulation?  Maybe this is a little too late, but perhaps getting out a book that brings rights-of-man, clean business practices, government-corporation healthy balance perspective to a conservative reader - maybe we can soften what's coming. IDK.

At least we can make a little scratch selling to progressives who have die hard conservatives in their families.

Edit - sorry that was a long post - and hardly a daily act of political resistance. But - in all y'alls experiences, maybe we can sling together something. Even if it's not done in a day - it could take a little bit of work every day.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:33:00 PM by Malaysia41 »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #548 on: March 16, 2017, 01:25:46 AM »
Along the lines of your queries, Malaysia41, this Ted Talk was recommended to my tribe recently:
http://www.ted.com/talks/megan_phelps_roper_i_grew_up_in_the_westboro_baptist_church_here_s_why_i_left

My computer doesn't have sound, so I haven't listened to it yet!

But, its blurb says:
What's it like to grow up within a group of people who exult in demonizing ... everyone else? Megan Phelps-Roper shares details of life inside America's most controversial church and describes how conversations on Twitter were key to her decision to leave it. In this extraordinary talk, she shares her personal experience of extreme polarization, along with some sharp ways we can learn to successfully engage across ideological lines.

And person recommending it said what changed the speaker's path was people asking her (non-attacking) questions online. Apparently there is a yummy, life twist to this story too :)

That's an exciting and favourite topic to me: Genuine conversation as path to more kindness.

Thank you - I'll check this out today! 

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #549 on: March 16, 2017, 07:23:17 AM »
My daily acts of resistance have been communicating with the GOP ideologues in my family. It's maddening. But there are ways to talk to them to find common ground. (Right?)

Today I sent a link to the Sanctuary Churches podcast from 99% Invisible to my very religious parents.

We also have a common ground on religious tolerance (we don't want to be one of "those" countries), and environmental protection (we are stewards & it is wrong to make people sick in the effort to make more money for the rich - easier for a camel etc.).  The parable of Lazarus & the Rich Man is pretty useful.  The Good Samaritan is also good, but now is an overused phrase, has lost its punch.