Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290813 times)

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2017, 06:07:52 PM »
I do this one yearly for the last 4 years.
i own my house, no payments... but i still have to slave away for 3 weeks every year or someone with a gun will remove me from my property :(

Maybe they'll allow you to stop paying your property taxes, if you'll agree to start paying for the water, sewer, and roads that lead to and from your house yourself.

All those services are provided by the city run utility monopoly.
If i could, i would gladly accept the deal you just provided. Sadly i can't, if i tried someone would come into my house and lock me in a cage after a few years.

I like to keep wasted spending to to a very low number, even more so on services i do not wish to have. I mean it would be crazy if you HAD to buy 200 cable TV channels, or HAVE to buy a huge truck.
To me having to BUY EMS service, and power, and city water is just crazy. I prefer to not buy those services, but i have to :(

Glenallan, Alaska is in our "Unincorporated borough" and has no property taxes or any other taxes. Come on up!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2017, 06:15:41 PM »

PS: How do I make a pretty link?
The easiest way is to quote a "pretty" link someone else has posted and you'll see the code.

[ url = http://google.com ] I'm a pretty link! [ / url ]

^^ Take out all the spaces between the square brackets and you're good! Replace the webpage and title as you see fit. :)

I'm a pretty link!

Much easier to do when I'm not on my phone! Thanks letired!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2017, 08:33:21 PM »
I called/emailed my US congressman, state congressman and state senator to get their schedules for town halls.  I intend to go to as many as possible and ask them about specific votes.  I wish there was a site that had voting records on bills in layman's terms, I've bookmarked the sites for determining how your representative voted, but it is hard to sift though all the bills. 

Great idea to get the town hall schedule!

This site doesn't have descriptions of each bill, but it has summaries of positions on key issues and ratings by interest groups. You can also see where their funding comes from and view their speeches.

http://votesmart.org/

Thanks for making me go look. I now know that the top contributor to my Rep is a jewelry store. Huh.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
"RUN FOR OFFICE"

Working on it. Sadly, there aren't 30,000 of you, MJ, or I'd have my state senate/house seat already :P.

I'm impressed!  What district and seat are you running for?  I'm in Raleigh.

I called/emailed my US congressman, state congressman and state senator to get their schedules for town halls.  I intend to go to as many as possible and ask them about specific votes.  I wish there was a site that had voting records on bills in layman's terms, I've bookmarked the sites for determining how your representative voted, but it is hard to sift though all the bills. 

I also signed the whitehouse.gov release Trump's tax return petition, but I truly think no matter how high the number gets the only way we'd see his tax return is if someone leaks it to Wikileaks.

Join the 4th District Indivisible group that I run. Lots of ways to take action now and in the future. Tomorrow, we're meeting at noon to say hi to Thom Tillis at his office in Raleigh.

I am not running for a seat yet, but I'm figuring out how to get that rolling. I've emailed some of the local leaders in the party to see what I'll need to do.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2017, 06:51:49 AM »
INDIVISIBLE GUIDELINES FOR VISITING YOUR SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES

• ****RECORD EVERYTHING. If you do nothing else, do this one.
    • Record the actual interaction. Record the attempt to see them. If you are prevented from seeing them, record it. Stream on Facebook Live. Take photos. If it's not recorded, it didn't happen.
  • LIVE-TWEET.
    • Tweet and post progress on FB while you're there.
  • ***GET MEDIA COVERAGE.
    • Get a local news outlet to go with you. If that's not possible, get coverage after the fact by sending out the story. (See #4)
  • REPORT OUT AFTER.
    • Write up a report with some pull quotes, pictures, and short clips. Send that to reporters, bloggers, and activist groups. If you didn't get to speak with anyone, make the story about shaming them for avoiding their constituents on this Very Important Issue.
  • PERSONAL STORIES.
    • Have personal stories prepared about how the issues affect you. If there will be reporters, get a couple people prepped to speak with them.
  • ONE SIMPLE ASK.
    • Have one actionable ask for them. That should be the primary, if not the only message. Ex: "Vote No on DeVos and Sessions." "Do not repeal the ACA." Priority goes to time-sensitive issues. Giving a laundry list of issues dilutes the message and makes it easier to get ignored.
  • DO NOT BE IGNORED.
    • Staffers will try to get rid of you or pawn you off on an intern. You are there to speak with your rep. If the rep isn't there, then find someone with authority to give you 5 minutes.
  • ASSIGN ROLES. (Sexy, I know.)
    • One person should know they're the recorder, another the tweeter, two others the stories for reporters.
  • PREPARE.
    • Plan out how the interaction with the rep is going to go. Who speaks first, what everyone says, etc.
  • CHEAT SHEET.
    • Have print-outs that reiterate your ask and have pull quotes/personal stories. Pass out copies to staffers, reps, and journalists. Include contact info.

Feel free to share this on your own journals, on FB, or directly with anyone you know is getting active. Or share the Indivisible Guide.

This is especially timely today, since there are coordinated #ResistTrumpTuesdays protests/visits happening across the country. Today is focused n resisting Trump's Cabinet picks. Hundreds of people are set to show up in the rain at Schumer and Gillibrand's offices in NYC.

To join a group during your lunch break: www.moveon.org/jan24

If you cannot go in person today, call your senators and tell them not to confirm Trump's Swamp Cabinet.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2017, 10:08:18 AM »
Thank you so much, MonkeyJenga.

I'm chained to the house today, but at least  I will be inputting names and contact info from petition signatures that I collected for MoveToAmend during the march, and also answering emails from some nice people I met during the march.  Networking is good.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
Indivisible Raleigh today:

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »
+1000

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2017, 06:25:24 AM »
"RUN FOR OFFICE"

Working on it. Sadly, there aren't 30,000 of you, MJ, or I'd have my state senate/house seat already :P.

I also signed the whitehouse.gov release Trump's tax return petition, but I truly think no matter how high the number gets the only way we'd see his tax return is if someone leaks it to Wikileaks.

Join the 4th District Indivisible group that I run. Lots of ways to take action now and in the future. Tomorrow, we're meeting at noon to say hi to Thom Tillis at his office in Raleigh.

I am not running for a seat yet, but I'm figuring out how to get that rolling. I've emailed some of the local leaders in the party to see what I'll need to do.

Thanks, I'm right next door in the 2nd District.  I joined the 2nd District Indivisible group, but will keep your group in mind.  Also got invited to join GASP. 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2017, 06:39:47 AM »
"RUN FOR OFFICE"

Thanks, I'm right next door in the 2nd District.  I joined the 2nd District Indivisible group, but will keep your group in mind.  Also got invited to join GASP.

I run the 2nd district, too, so welcome :).

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »
FEEDBACK REQUESTED

Soliciting hive mind input on my journal about what to name an off-forum site. Please go here to my journal if you have suggestions: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-politics-of-dating/msg1400015/#msg1400015

Goal of site: Answer people’s question of “now what do I do?” It will direct people to existing organizations that can use volunteers, apps that let you easily call your senators and reps, resources to run for office, ways to flip districts in 2018, how to get involved without living in the US, and more.

More details are over there. Thanks!

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #211 on: January 25, 2017, 11:59:28 AM »
For those who would like to make calls and need something very straight forward, I recently found https://5calls.org/

You give them your zip, and they give you a list of phone calls to make, complete with scripts and phone numbers. They also give you the option to report how your call went, and help you publicize your action via twitter or facebook. I foresee myself using this resource a lot since having something spoon-fed to me makes it much more likely I'll dial.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2017, 01:33:31 PM »
5 Calls looks like a good tool for getting past some of my phone anxiety. Thanks.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #213 on: January 25, 2017, 02:09:08 PM »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2017, 09:11:55 PM »
For those who would like to make calls and need something very straight forward, I recently found https://5calls.org/

You give them your zip, and they give you a list of phone calls to make, complete with scripts and phone numbers. They also give you the option to report how your call went, and help you publicize your action via twitter or facebook. I foresee myself using this resource a lot since having something spoon-fed to me makes it much more likely I'll dial.

Thanks for linking this!

I went and looked at a couple actions. The one thing I would caution against is calling the Committee Heads instead of YOUR OWN SENATORS. If you can't vote for them, they don't care. You can use the 5calls scripts and sharing options since they look well-done, but write down your senators and reps contact info, for both their DC and local offices, and call them instead of any committee heads. Call everyone if you have the stamina, but if you can't call both senators AND the committee head, focus on your senators.

I saw this today and thought it might be useful.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FKXcRFOg5VS-UjCyH2jmgRTm-sQY_PB65Gxo-rwMT6A/preview

Thanks! I'm trying to get clarification on whether postcards/letters make a difference. Staffers have reported conflicting information.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:23:07 PM by MonkeyJenga »

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2017, 09:30:26 PM »

I saw this today and thought it might be useful.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FKXcRFOg5VS-UjCyH2jmgRTm-sQY_PB65Gxo-rwMT6A/preview

Thanks! I'm trying to get clarification on whether postcards/letters make a difference. Staffers have reported conflicting information.

I am 100% pulling this out of my ass, but I think postcards/letters make a big impact when the show up in large quantities, all with the 'same brand', if that makes any sense. That's why I'm getting my Womens March Postcard on, so that it can be one of the gajillion womens march postcards that show up. But your run-of-the-mill random postcard or letter is probably not that impactful. Part of it seems to have to do with how much staffer time it takes up??

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2017, 10:03:05 PM »

I am 100% pulling this out of my ass, but I think postcards/letters make a big impact when the show up in large quantities, all with the 'same brand', if that makes any sense. That's why I'm getting my Womens March Postcard on, so that it can be one of the gajillion womens march postcards that show up. But your run-of-the-mill random postcard or letter is probably not that impactful. Part of it seems to have to do with how much staffer time it takes up??

I would want to confirm this from a staffer. If anyone knows some, please ask!

I'm unsure on the effectiveness of the Women's March postcards in and of themselves. They have the same design, but the topics are not coordinated in any way. So senators are gonna get 2 WM postcards on immigration, 3 on Planned Parenthood, 1 on Sessions, 4 on whatever random thing, instead of 10 on a single topic.

If it's a matter of being the first small step to get people involved, and making sure people can feel catharsis, okay. It's also possible that being associated with the WM will mean something despite the random topics discussed. I hope so. But I hope future actions are coordinated on the issues. Because an infrequent action (1 action every 10 days) can't afford to also be scattershot in its approach.

I don't want to be negative, I just want to make sure people's efforts are being channeled efficiently.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:05:34 PM by MonkeyJenga »

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2017, 05:51:55 AM »
H.R. 7 was passed in the house.  Call your Senators and your Reps on this.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/7

Basically it enshrines the Hyde Amendment into law making it much harder to repeal later and tells private insurance companies that they cannot offer any abortion services in insurance plans that receive and subsidies or federal funding.  This would in effect cause insurance companies to eliminate all coverage.  It also defunds Planned Parenthood (who already aren't allowed to provide taxpayer funded abortions) so it essentially hurts women's ability to get cancer screenings, birth control and other normal medical needs.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2017, 06:17:52 AM »
"RUN FOR OFFICE"

I run the 2nd district, too, so welcome :).

I'm right on the edge of the 4th District and 2nd District also - we must be neighbors!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #219 on: January 26, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
Of COURSE letters and emails make a difference. I sent one last month, as did DH, to an alderman in an adjacent ward. It was input she asked for, about a development within my neighborhood.

I uased to send only snail mail to aldermen, but they indicate  email is just as effective. You need to craft your own message, that is key. DH and I had different negative reactions to this development and our messages were different, but both gave concrete reasons why the development shouldnt fly.

For those of you stuck at the National level of politics, I would not use any pre-printed postcard from any organization, women's march or whatever.

Your own thoughts, expressed succinctly and legibly via your own communication tool is what is effective because it shows you are self confident enough to reach out and communicate. You are, for sure! a voter in the eyes of your representative. If you send generic postcards, that is the same as online petitioning and people who do that may not even get up off the couch to vote. Snail mail form messages are like  cutting and pasting an email message from someoene else. . Be an individual not a drone, the politicians want to hear from individuals.

I also dont understand  what is so hard about making a freeking  phone call. Those congressional  staffers work FOR YOU. They are  there to take phone  calls FROM YOU.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:06:37 AM by iris lily »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »

Basically it enshrines the Hyde Amendment into law making it much harder to repeal later and tells private insurance companies that they cannot offer any abortion services in insurance plans that receive and subsidies or federal funding.  This would in effect cause insurance companies to eliminate all coverage.  It also defunds Planned Parenthood (who already aren't allowed to provide taxpayer funded abortions) so it essentially hurts women's ability to get cancer screenings, birth control and other normal medical needs.

I just called my rep thanking them for voting against hr 7 and boycotting the inauguration.

Can't get through my senators about Sessions et al, will try later. Rep phone lines seem to be much less busy. Not surprised.

Iris lily, I had heard differently from hill staffers, so it never hurts to ask someone in the office what method they use to count support. Also which method they weight more heavily, since maybe they value calls more highly, or letters over email, even if they count everything.

Thanks for your advice!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »

I just called my rep thanking them for voting against hr 7 and boycotting the inauguration.

Can't get through my senators about Sessions et al, will try later. Rep phone lines seem to be much less busy. Not surprised.

Iris lily, I had heard differently from hill staffers, so it never hurts to ask someone in the office what method they use to count support. Also which method they weight more heavily, since maybe they value calls more highly, or letters over email, even if they count everything.

Thanks for your advice!
Then, what your congressman says may not apply to my congressman as to the value "they" place on communications. The  "they" is different in every case. I don't see how you can determine this for the congressmen of everyone on this website. Seems like you are trying to force a one size fits all action.

That said, I have never ever communicated with my current Representative from The House in D.C . In any conflict of opinion, that man will never represent my POV, no point in wasting my time and his time. I have memory of seeing him one time, ONCE! in my neighborhood. For the chief of the racial politics brigade, we are mostly the wrong color and we vote his way anyway, so we are not important. It is funny that I often saw the Congressman from next door district at our neighborhood coffee shop one block away from where I live. That guy was accessible, and while he would always be voting wrong way Democrat and also not representing me, at least he was visible. He was also from a political family I respect. I do not respect my own congressman, he inherited his throne from his father and that political machine.

I have, of course, sent communicatins to people at the national party level and to U.S. Senators,a dnprobably past U.S? representatives, just not this guy.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:30:21 AM by iris lily »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »

Thanks for your advice!
Then, what your congressman says may not apply to my congressman as to the value "they" place on communications. The  "they" is different in every case. I don't see how you can determine this for the congressmen of everyone on this website. Seems like you are trying to force a one size fits all action.

I think it's a great idea for people to ask their specific reps about this! I've heard conflicting info, so I'm certainly not the ultimate source of truth.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:42:30 PM by MonkeyJenga »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2017, 02:03:18 PM »
Somethng that  occured to me to influence congressmen outside of your district--given'em money! If you donate $100 to their campaign, (and the House members always have a campaign fund ) you can say "I donated  $100 to your campaign and I want you to support house bill xxx"
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:43:22 AM by iris lily »

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2017, 07:35:06 AM »
Very valuable thread. Thanks for all the good ideas!

There is so much to protest, that I need to find a site that will keep me up to date on what has happened and the most pressing issues at hand.  For instance, I don't want to call my senator complaining about an appointment that has already been confirmed! I found the following article that helped, but it's already 3 days old.
 http://www.npr.org/2017/01/24/511291979/the-status-of-trump-s-cabinet-where-everyone-is-in-the-process-and-how-it-works

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2017, 08:11:49 AM »
Great idea from Twitter - send a postcard or letter to Steve Bannon (who just told the press to shut up and listen) - with the text of the first amendment:

Steve Bannon
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2017, 11:56:27 AM »
This is in Publisher - it's a homemade 1st Amendment Greeting card - to go with the idea above.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: January 27, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »
This is in Publisher - it's a homemade 1st Amendment Greeting card - to go with the idea above.

A tip from someone who works in print production :-)  If you share it as a PDF it will be usable by a lot more people. I don't have Publisher on my computer to give the exact instructions, but I think you just have to do File > Publish as PDF or something similar, it should be very simple.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #228 on: January 27, 2017, 12:31:54 PM »
Today one of my close friends posted an anti Planned Parenthood video disputing the 3% abortion statistic they claim.

I went right to their website, made a donation....in his honor.

Will they mail him something? I sure hope so :)

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #229 on: January 27, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »

A tip from someone who works in print production :-)  If you share it as a PDF it will be usable by a lot more people. I don't have Publisher on my computer to give the exact instructions, but I think you just have to do File > Publish as PDF or something similar, it should be very simple.

I can do that!!  : 0 )    I mistakenly thought if folks wanted to personalize the inside of the card that it would be easier!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2017, 12:50:41 PM »

I can do that!!  : 0 )    I mistakenly thought if folks wanted to personalize the inside of the card that it would be easier!

Gotcha! I couldn't open the first one so I didn't see that it left space for people to write in. But now you've got both options, thanks!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2017, 02:13:50 PM »
Following.
I just joined all the alt twitter accounts for gov agencies that were in the news yesterday

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2017, 04:07:20 PM »
Very valuable thread. Thanks for all the good ideas!

There is so much to protest, that I need to find a site that will keep me up to date on what has happened and the most pressing issues at hand.  For instance, I don't want to call my senator complaining about an appointment that has already been confirmed! I found the following article that helped, but it's already 3 days old.
 http://www.npr.org/2017/01/24/511291979/the-status-of-trump-s-cabinet-where-everyone-is-in-the-process-and-how-it-works
Thank you for the link!

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2017, 09:56:28 PM »
Mark April 15 on your calendar. This is a ways off but it looks like organizers are planning a Trump Tax Day March. There are already 24 marches being planned around the country:
http://taxmarch.org/

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2017, 09:59:27 PM »
Mark April 15 on your calendar. This is a ways off but it looks like organizers are planning a Trump Tax Day March. There are already 24 marches being planned around the country:

Wow. Interesting.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #236 on: January 28, 2017, 07:26:14 AM »
Your own thoughts, expressed succinctly and legibly via your own communication tool is what is effective because it shows you are self confident enough to reach out and communicate. You are, for sure! a voter in the eyes of your representative. If you send generic postcards, that is the same as online petitioning and people who do that may not even get up off the couch to vote. Snail mail form messages are like  cutting and pasting an email message from someoene else. . Be an individual not a drone, the politicians want to hear from individuals.

I also dont understand  what is so hard about making a freeking  phone call. Those congressional  staffers work FOR YOU. They are  there to take phone  calls FROM YOU.

I agree completely that the important thing is that we write our own letters from our own perspectives rather than using form letters from other groups.

As to why not phone, I tend not to. It is not that they work for me or don't work for me. It is just that I am uncomfortable cold calling people and asking for things. I had to do this for my job and I got quite good at it, but if I can avoid it for the next few months, I'm going to. Perhaps in the future once I'm no longer quite so exhausted I'll rev up those phone skills again. In the meantime, a well-crafted letter is the way for me.

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #237 on: January 28, 2017, 07:52:13 AM »
Arkansans: When I called Senator Boozman's office earlier this week, a staffer said he was still officially undecided on whether he will vote to confirm Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education. He could plausibly be one of the three Republican senators needed to stop her confirmation if Sen. Frankin is correct in his statement that all Democrats will oppose her. Sen. Boozman's office number is 202 224 4843.

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: January 28, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »

What are they marching about, the fact most of them probably don't have to pay federal income taxes? 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #239 on: January 28, 2017, 12:41:17 PM »

What are they marching about, the fact most of them probably don't have to pay federal income taxes?

Err, all political actions detailed here are to be respected. Deserving or not. :)

Ths particular "tax march " isn't the typical tax march, anyway.

Now to turn this into an acceptable post for this thread: Today I sent email to our local newspaper for their silly partisian attempt to stir up controversy over my state's  new attorney general who lives  24 miles from the seat of government.  The constitution calls for him to reside in the seat of Government.

I have nothing against the newspaper printing this obvious plant from the Democratic party. I DO object to its page 1 status. This is back page section B news at best.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »

I agree completely that the important thing is that we write our own letters from our own perspectives rather than using form letters from other groups.

As to why not phone, I tend not to. It is not that they work for me or don't work for me. It is just that I am uncomfortable cold calling people and asking for things. I had to do this for my job and I got quite good at it, but if I can avoid it for the next few months, I'm going to. Perhaps in the future once I'm no longer quite so exhausted I'll rev up those phone skills again. In the meantime, a well-crafted letter is the way for me.

Oh ys, I hate asking for things with  a passion. Hate it! But I see calling a congreekan's office as  me just making a quick report such as "hi, my name is XXx and I live at x address in x city. i am opposed to [the issue of the moment] and thank you! Goodbye.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2017, 02:16:06 PM »

Don't be a dick, you could easily click on the link and see what people are marching about. It's largely about the fact that we have a president now who is so corrupt and indebted and dishonest about his business dealings that he refuses to divulge his tax returns.

We had a mini-movement last night in the Denver area -- our terrible senator, Cory Gardner, was on TV saying that he's been getting thousands of calls every day, and most of them seem to be from out of state paid protesters. Which is horse shit.

He also said that if we really wanted his ear, we should have attended his town hall meeting (held by telephone last week), but it was not publicized. Many of us who call him every day asked about a town hall, and were told there were none on the schedule.

So, yeah, that's fucking irritating. About 5,000 of us called the TV station and called him to set the record straight.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2017, 02:19:03 PM »
I hate phoning.  I have decided I want to know that I was a person who phoned.  Following.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2017, 03:38:52 PM »
Paul Krugman, the economist, has a twitter feed which offers great insights on a variety of political issues related to the Trump presidency, and Republican control of Congress. https://twitter.com/paulkrugman

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2017, 03:51:42 PM »
Paul Krugman, the economist, has a twitter feed which offers great insights on a variety of political issues related to the Trump presidency, and Republican control of Congress. https://twitter.com/paulkrugman

LOL.   yeah, he is a genius. The great economist on election night:

“It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover?” Krugman said in his post. “If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.”

Stock market has gained 2T in wealth since he won the election.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/09/paul-krugman-says-markets-will-never-recover-from-trump-dow-hits-record-high/#ixzz4X6EOlwhx

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2017, 04:06:28 PM »
Packlawyer04, can you take your musings to another thread? They are off-topic. Thanks.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #246 on: January 28, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »
Huge protest at JFK Terminal 4 right now

"No ban / no registry / fuck white supremacy"

Really wish I was in NYC right now

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: January 28, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »
Huge protest at JFK Terminal 4 right now

"No ban / no registry / fuck white supremacy"

Really wish I was in NYC right now

Good for them.

This is absolutely outrageous.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #248 on: January 28, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »
This is going around on my facebook. It seemed like I should share it here as well.

"If you decide to join an airport protest, please remember that Federal, Department of Homeland Security enforcement are in place at our airports. This means, if you are detained, you will likely be held without recourse to an attorney and can be transferred and held indefinitely. Please make sure your people know to look for you and do regular check ins with them.
Immigration attorneys advise that only US Citizens can participate without grave risk.
If you are a US citizen, this is one way for you to leverage your privilege to help those with less."

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: January 28, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »
This is going around on my facebook. It seemed like I should share it here as well.

"If you decide to join an airport protest, please remember that Federal, Department of Homeland Security enforcement are in place at our airports. This means, if you are detained, you will likely be held without recourse to an attorney and can be transferred and held indefinitely. Please make sure your people know to look for you and do regular check ins with them.
Immigration attorneys advise that only US Citizens can participate without grave risk.
If you are a US citizen, this is one way for you to leverage your privilege to help those with less."

Which means, if you are a citizen, especially a white citizen, it is your DUTY to participate.