Author Topic: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!  (Read 290824 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:05:09 AM »
*** This thread is for actions that oppose the current Trump Republican administration. If you want to talk about calling your senator to repeal the ACA or stop the Mueller investigation, you are free to start your own thread. ***

Stay positive and focused on specific actions. No slurring large groups of people, regardless of which side they're on.

Discussions of policy disagreements can be found here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/small-daily-acts-of-political-discussion/

For those who feel overwhelmed by how much fighting needs to be done, I'll be posting small actions that can be done from the comfort of your bed. An email sent, a petition signed, maybe a phone call made.

Daily may be optimistic, but it's catchier than "Small Acts of Political Resistance A Few Times a Week."

Dec 10, 2016: Financial Conflicts of Interest

If you want to support Senator Warren's request to audit President-Elect Trump's finances for conflicts of interest, the woman who answered the phone at the Comptroller General of the Government Accountability Office said the most effective way to be sure my support counted was to email two administrators, Katherine Siggerud and Timothy Minnelli. There is a third email through which they are tracking people who were urging support for an audit.

You can send one email addressed to:
siggerudk@gao.gov, minellit@gao.gov, congrel@gao.gov

Subject line:
Re: Audit for President-Elect Trump's financial concerns

Dear Ms. Siggerud and Mr. Minnelli,

I’m writing in support of Senator Elizabeth Warren's request for an audit of our incoming President-Elect Trump's finances, to prohibit conflicts of interest that would prevent him from carrying out the responsibilities of the office without corrupt influence.

Sincerely,
[MONKEYJENGA]

If you prefer daily/weekly action items emailed to you, sign up with one of these sites:

www.flippable.org
www.wall-of-us.org

For those with financial stability, many of us have donated to organizations like the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, and NRDC.

Additional organizations to consider: http://jezebel.com/a-list-of-pro-women-pro-immigrant-pro-earth-anti-big-1788752078
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 10:08:41 AM by MonkeyJenga »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
Re: Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 12:55:43 PM »
Posting to follow the thread. Did this one, but there may be future ones :).

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 01:47:48 PM »
Good for you MonkeyJenga!  Great thread!

Cyrddin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »
Posting to follow. Thanks for starting this thread!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »
Following

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »
Following

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »
Following.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 05:24:27 PM »
I'm not sure what constitutes political action in the context of this thread.

I regularly participate in mobile patrol for my neighborhood, which pretty much means riding around i a car for two hours gossiping, as well as identifying street and alley lights that are out and reporting them as well as police presence and any oddities or situations of concern. It certainly taps into "fighting that must be done" since the onslaught of crime here is a rising tide.

I always wonder about those who think of Politics  with a capital P as being only something at the national level. I also think that online petitions are laughibly ineffective.

The lowest level of political action in my city is at the neighborhood level. I am currently contemplating who I will support for Mayor and will get a sign for that candidate, once I decide.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:09:43 PM by iris lily »

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 06:18:21 PM »
sent and following!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 04:05:49 AM »
Done.

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 07:27:53 AM »
I heard through social media that folks were donating to planned parenthood in honor of VP-elect Mike Pence. Made a small donation myself and had the notification sent to his office, as I knew he would appreciate it.

Link to his address - http://bit.ly/2gztDrx

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 08:30:33 AM »
I heard through social media that folks were donating to planned parenthood in honor of VP-elect Mike Pence. Made a small donation myself and had the notification sent to his office, as I knew he would appreciate it.

That may be exactly what Pence wants: private funding for PP so the gov't can kill all public funding.  :( Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 08:58:11 AM »

I regularly participate in mobile patrol for my neighborhood, which pretty much means riding around i a car for two hours gossiping, as well as identifying street and alley lights that are out and reporting them as well as police presence and any oddities or situations of concern. It certainly taps into "fighting that must be done" since the onslaught of crime here is a rising tide.

I always wonder about those who think of Politics  with a capital P as being only something at the national level. I also think that online petitions are laughibly ineffective.

The lowest level of political action in my city is at the neighborhood level. I am currently contemplating who I will support for Mayor and will get a sign for that candidate, once I decide.

Politics in my local area seems to consist mostly of unending attempts to first resist annexation by the city and then (when annexation happened) to fight for de-annexation. I truly do not care either way. Financially it appears to be a wash for people in my neighborhood. The other neighborhood involved in the de-annexation attempt primarily consists of extremely wealthy people for whom city taxes would be much higher than the cost of replacing city services with their own police force, trash collection and so forth. However, whenever they need a photogenic person put forward to the press as opposing annexation, they come to my neighborhood. Then one of my neighbors complains that "People say that this is about the rich avoiding taxes but look at my house. I'm not rich."

We have also been urged to organize against the horror of people painting their own house pink and of an apartment building being built nearby. Sometimes local politics are the pettiest kind of politics there are so I understand why people would want to deal with larger issues than these.

Once I FIRE I intend to devote some of my time to making my corner of the world a better place. In my mind I categorize things like a neighborhood watch or helping with the food bank or keeping the neighborhood's public areas beautiful as being a good citizen rather than as politics. I'm surprised that you think of the excellent work you do with the mobile patrol as political action.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 08:59:46 AM »
In.

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 09:16:24 AM »

That may be exactly what Pence wants: private funding for PP so the gov't can kill all public funding.  :( Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Privately funded or (more likely) criminalized.

Either way, I figured they'd be needing the funds in the near future to resist the coming onslaught. States are already trying to pass laws banning abortion in the hopes that a more conservative SC will overturn Roe v. Wade. Blergh...

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »

Either way, I figured they'd be needing the funds in the near future to resist the coming onslaught. States are already trying to pass laws banning abortion in the hopes that a more conservative SC will overturn Roe v. Wade. Blergh...

Blergh indeed. I'll add AAAGGGGHHHHEEEERRRRRGGGHHHHH! WTF!?!?!?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 10:30:53 AM »
Hi everyone! Glad to see people here.

Dec 11, 2016: Breitbart Google Ads

This takes less than 1 minute, but the consequences for Breitbart could be massive if enough people reach out to Google.

Here is the info if you want to participate.

Inspired by Kellogg's and other companies pulling their advertising from Breitbart, here's a fun action to take. From your laptop or phone, follow these directions and pass it along. Instructions below are for phones.

(1) Go to www.Breitbart.com
(2) Find a Google AdSense ad. It will have a teal triangle and an x in the upper right corner.
(3) Click on the triangle.
(4) Click "Why this Ad?"
(5) On the Google page that loads, Click "learn more" in the text toward the bottom.
(6) A page loads called About Google Ads.
Scroll down and click to "Leave feedback on the website you just saw."
(7) You are given a choice between "the website" and "the ads". Choose "the website".
(8) Check the box saying that the website (Breitbart) promotes racial intolerance. If you like, add a comment.
(9) Click submit!

If Google kicks Breitbart out of its ad network it will make a big difference to the company's bottom line. So tell Google to Dump Breitbart.

http://www.breitbart.com/

Comments are required when you do this through a laptop. I put this:

Breitbart and its hateful views should not be supported by Google's ad network.

Someone on FB wrote this out:

I've come across many articles on this site that unduly focus on the race, religion, or national origin of persons accused of crimes, as if to suggest that people who are Black, Muslim, Mexican, etc. are disproportionately criminals. Typically these articles provide questionable statistics or at best no context for why a national "news" organization would engage in small-scale crime reporting alongside national political coverage. The site also traffics in articles with very misleading headlines that predispose the reader to respond with anger. It would be hard to call these headlines intolerant on their own, and many are primarily aimed at political leaders, but there's a pattern of them generating anger towards people of color and organizations like the NAACP that promote the advancement of historically marginalized people. Folks on my social media outlets are using articles from this site to promote white supremacy, and I'm fearful.

A group called Sleeping Giants has helped get Kellogg's and other companies to pull their ads from the site:

Sleeping Giants Facebook
Sleeping Giants Twitter

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 10:35:46 AM »

The ACLU is also a big player in the fight to protect reproductive rights.

List of cases: https://www.aclu.org/defending-our-rights/court-battles?topics=182
Rundown on public funding: https://www.aclu.org/other/public-funding-abortion

YummyRaisins, I donated in Pence's name when I first heard about it! A large amount. It felt good.

iris lily, this thread is focused on national politics and state-level when it ties into larger issues. For one thing, I don't know where everyone lives and what their issues are. If anyone wants to start a local activism/volunteering thread, that would be a great complement!

Petitions are not going to be the primary method listed here. Direct contact to reps or businesses, as in the case with Breitbart ads, is preferred.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 10:46:53 AM »
Yes the ACLU is receiving a monthly stipend from us. That and NRDC.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 10:54:57 AM »

I know, that was not directed at you specifically. I included the NRDC because of you! I have not donated yet, but I will this week.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 10:59:48 AM »
I went to Brietbart and an add for Personal Capital popped up.  So I deleted my account.  Yes, it was a free service, but I refuse to interact with them. 

Blueskies123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »
All of this so odd.  What did all of you think when people did this to appose Obama?  If Jeb Bush had won the election would you all be doing the same thing?

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »
All of this so odd.  What did all of you think when people did this to appose Obama?  If Jeb Bush had won the election would you all be doing the same thing?
I was frustrated with the folks who appose Obama, but functional democracy requires participation. Disliking the other side's actions does not mean that you do not engage on your own side. The right also votes. Does that mean the left should not?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 11:30:44 AM »
I went to Brietbart and an add for Personal Capital popped up.  So I deleted my account.  Yes, it was a free service, but I refuse to interact with them.

You should send Personal Capital a message telling them your reason for deleting your account. You can send them these easy instructions for blacklisting Breitbart from their Adwords campaigns: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1bwS7LdG3tt0TCSfzFgwZb0YW0JPK0fZ2dbbh2l7P3dY/mobilebasic

The Sleeping Giants FB and Twitter accounts note companies that responded positively to these outreaches. You can make a difference!

Blueskies, feel free to start a thread to debate the merit of these activities! I would like to keep the conversation here focused on the original intent, which is the activities themselves.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 11:38:40 AM »
I appreciate your doing this, Monkeyjenga.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »
I was frustrated with the folks who appose Obama, but functional democracy requires participation. Disliking the other side's actions does not mean that you do not engage on your own side. The right also votes. Does that mean the left should not?

In a word: no. If Jeb Bush had been elected, I'd be pretty mute on the issue. Kind of a 'meh'. Sure, I'd be calling out climate change concerns - contacting my reps with my concern -  to some degree. But I wouldn't be in total opposition to him.

No, Trump and his opening bid of cabinet appointments, and his glibness with Putin, is unacceptable.

This is not 'my team lost waaaah' whining. I'm not affiliated with a party, and I had no love for HRC. Trump is a thin skinned con man and he is unbelievably unqualified to be our leader.

ck25

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2016, 01:02:17 PM »
Following

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2016, 01:47:12 PM »

I wasn't a fan of Jeb's policies or positions, but he was at least trying to advance issues he thought were important mixed in with a healthy dose of political pragmatism.  I understand it, even if I disagree with it.   I can see how a reasonable person would disagree with me. 

Brietbart.com, on the other hand, is the apex of yellow journalism, sexism, racism, and xenophobia.    Brietbart and Bannon aren't coming from a position of reason or intellect.  They are coming from a position playing to people's fears and hate.  Appealing to those emotions is worst type of discourse, and only the worst people do it.  Reasonable people don't read Brietbart.  Bigots and bullies read Brietbart.   I hate bullies and I hate their snickering stooges.    Bullies aren't reasonable, they are just jerks. 

Trump is a bully, and so is his stooge Bannon.   Like most bullies, Trump is a coward.  I don't like cowards much either.   So screw 'em.    Boycotts are a pretty weak form of protest most of the time, but I don't care.  Bannon and his buddies are true POSs.   I don't bother with scum like that.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2016, 02:36:30 PM »
Please know ads that appear on Breitbart are due to your logistics. Because you use or search PC thats why they show up. Its not saying PC is okay with Breitbart. So i would not cancel your acct. with PC. But PC can block their ads from appearing on BB. And would ask them if they would be willing to do so.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 04:12:02 PM »
Did the Breitbart thing! Also did the Sleeping Giants thing with one of their advertisers!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2016, 04:28:28 PM »
If you would like to speak directly to the electors, you can do so through this website. I put my voice with plenty of others urging them to be objective as that is their job.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2016, 05:28:34 PM »
I'm trying to get my money out of the Dakota oil pipeline. Public pressure got our national bank and one other bank to sell their investments in the pipeline, but part of my public pension is still invested in it. With the way things are going, the money might even be lost before they have time to back out. Representatives from my county pension fund are planning to travel to Dakota later this month to see whether they should sell their investments, but I haven't heard anything from the state pension fund yet. Our indigenous people, the Sami, are working hard behind the scenes, so I hope it will happen.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2016, 06:22:40 PM »
Vanguard funds own > 5.7% of Exxon Mobil (com)

Call vanguard and tell them to demand management stop funding climate change denial campaigns. I'll post some informative resources tomorrow.

Be clear though - you are NOT asking them to divest. You are asking them to represent shareholders and influence management.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2016, 06:59:09 PM »
Posting to follow so I can work on this in the morning.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2016, 08:16:49 PM »
Please know ads that appear on Breitbart are due to your logistics. Because you use or search PC thats why they show up. Its not saying PC is okay with Breitbart. So i would not cancel your acct. with PC. But PC can block their ads from appearing on BB. And would ask them if they would be willing to do so.

Sure.  There was a cookie on my computer, and an ad company bot read it and inserted the ad on the Brietbart website.  If it would have been a different computer, it would have been an ad for something else.  Personal Capital has a contract with the ad company, which has a contract with Brietbart and a zillion other sits.  It is very possible no one at Personal Capital even knows their ads are appearing there. 

However, Personal Capital should have had Brietbart on the no fly list already.  And canceled accounts are a lot more effective than threatening to cancel an account.   Personal Capital is supporting--possibly through simple ignorance--anti-American shitheads.   

These companies needs to start waking up.  This racist bullying is not okay.  Ignorance isn't an excuse.  It is part of the problem.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2016, 08:46:51 PM »

Sure.  There was a cookie on my computer, and an ad company bot read it and inserted the ad on the Brietbart website.  If it would have been a different computer, it would have been an ad for something else.  Personal Capital has a contract with the ad company, which has a contract with Brietbart and a zillion other sits.  It is very possible no one at Personal Capital even knows their ads are appearing there. 

However, Personal Capital should have had Brietbart on the no fly list already.  And canceled accounts are a lot more effective than threatening to cancel an account.   Personal Capital is supporting--possibly through simple ignorance--anti-American shitheads.   

These companies needs to start waking up.  This racist bullying is not okay.  Ignorance isn't an excuse.  It is part of the problem.

If you got a screen shot, I would love to bring this to their attention! I agree there should be better vetting of ad space in the first place, but I'd also like to give them the opportunity to get ship shape.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2016, 08:56:17 PM »
IF YOU OWN VANGUARD ETFS with XOM in them (see below for partial list), please DON'T PANIC. Instead, do this:

Call vanguard and tell them to demand management stop funding climate change denial campaigns. I'll post some informative resources tomorrow.

BE CLEAR - you are NOT asking them to divest. You are asking them to represent shareholders and influence management. Specifically you want management to STOP all climate change disinformation campaigns.

Ask for your fund manager, and request that they tell XOM management to stop funding disinformation organizations   such as these:
- American Enterprise Institute (AEI received $3,615,000 from XOM from 1998-2012)
- Americans for Prosperity
- ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC received > $1.6 million from XOM 1998-2012)
- Beacon Hill Institute
- Cato Institute
- Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI received $2M from XOM '95-2012)
- Heartland Institute ($675k from XOM 97-'06)
- Heritage Foundation ($780k from XOM '01-'12)
- Institute for Energy Research
- Manhattan Institute for Policy Research ($635k XOM)
and these:
Donors Trust and Donors Advised Funds

Denial funding over time (source):

Brush up on the NASA evidence website and maybe throw in a factoid.

I'm not going to write up copypasta. I think heartfelt individual calls will be better.

Note: the image below lists some vanguard funds and XOM holdings % and amount. This is not a complete list.

Note: (I tried calling 4 times and got disconnected. I ended up emailing.. I received a letter back acknowledging my request. It didn't seem like an auto reply bot)

DON'T PANIC. But do call your vanguard fund managers.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:13:58 PM by Malaysia41 »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »
Following.

I'll also add that people should contact Sally Jewell in the Dept of Interior requesting that the omnibus blocking permit be revised to allow public access to the national mall in fulfillment of constitutionally-protected first amendment rights.
http://www.justiceonline.org/nps_withdraw_the_omnibus_blocking_permit_and_release_the_public_lands_to_free_speech_assembly

The inaugural committee has requested and received an omnibus blocking permit preventing public gatherings in little places like the national mall for the time period surrounding the inauguration. Something, something, somethign, first amendment, peacably assemble, redress greviances, yadda, yadda, yadda.
http://www.salon.com/2016/12/09/womens-march-on-washington-barred-from-protesting-donald-trump-inauguration/

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2016, 10:15:28 PM »
You can invest in a sustainability index fund like the "Vanguard FTSE Social Index Fund" which is described as "This low-cost fund seeks to track a benchmark of large- and mid-capitalization stocks that have been screened for certain social, human rights, and environmental criteria."

Disclaimer: I don't know much about this fund, and I don't own any of it. You'll have to read more about it yourself.

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2016, 10:47:40 PM »

I know, that was not directed at you specifically. I included the NRDC because of you! I have not donated yet, but I will this week.

I'm donating to the NRDC (https://www.nrdc.org/), The Wilderness Society (https://wilderness.org/), and the International Dark-Sky Association (http://darksky.org/). I don't know how much of an impact IDA has (I can't think of any time I heard about it in the news, for example), but it's important to me.

I'm worried that expanding oil and gas development will close off public land, damage beautiful places, and drown out the stars with light pollution.

There's a growing movement to try to sell off public land in the west. Some people in some western states are trying to get the federal government to give them federal land like BLM, national forest, and even national monuments! Then the states would presumably lease or sell that to energy companies. For example: https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=157&sid=42438150&title=utah-congressman-to-meet-with-trump-team-on-monuments-issue The problem is, once land is sold it's nearly impossible to ever get it back.

For some reason oil and gas companies love lights, and they seem to put lights that run 24/7 on everything, lighting the sky equally as much as the intended targets. It's a major problem in North Dakota. http://www.npr.org/2015/11/05/454341141/oil-boom-means-sky-watchers-hoping-for-starlight-just-get-stars-lite If you look at North Dakota on a dark sky map, it's brighter than many major cities, but few people live there! http://cires.colorado.edu/artificial-sky

The national parks and monuments that make up southeastern Utah protect one of the biggest and darkest dark sky areas in the continental US, as well as incredible landscapes, slot canyons, and geological formations. They include Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, Bryce Canyon National Park, Natural Bridges National Monument, Canyonlands National Park, Arches National Park, Goblin Valley state park, etc. Even the regular old BLM land that makes up most of the rest of that area is beautiful. There is so much public land in that area that you can basically hike or camp anywhere. If that gets sold off to private companies no one would be allowed to visit that land any more.

I'll work on finding small acts of political resistance to help my concerns, and I'll post them here if I find them.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »
Posting to follow. As mentioned in another thread, last week I set up ongoing donations to the ACLU and planned parenthood.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2016, 08:38:10 AM »
Following - and if you want another daily reminder, you can sign up at flippable.org for a daily email with a task - a lot of stuff focused on state and local races (today's was about a VA House Delegate special election, for example).

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2016, 12:41:24 PM »

The ACLU is also a big player in the fight to protect reproductive rights.

List of cases: https://www.aclu.org/defending-our-rights/court-battles?topics=182
Rundown on public funding: https://www.aclu.org/other/public-funding-abortion

YummyRaisins, I donated in Pence's name when I first heard about it! A large amount. It felt good.

iris lily, this thread is focused on national politics and state-level when it ties into larger issues. For one thing, I don't know where everyone lives and what their issues are. If anyone wants to start a local activism/volunteering thread, that would be a great complement![\b]

Petitions are not going to be the primary method listed here. Direct contact to reps or businesses, as in the case with Breitbart ads, is preferred.

Its hard for me to see how my local issues, to name two hot buttons this week--crime and public housing--dont tie in to larger issues at the national level. Most things in my immediate neighborhood touch, in some way, a dollar or a policy originating in Washington D.C.

I think thats a valid thing to "fight against," the fingers of the feds and the state in local issues. Perhaps some people need to delve into local politics to see how deeply enmeshed the feds ARE at the wee level.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:51:20 PM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2016, 12:54:44 PM »

Politics in my local area seems to consist mostly of unending attempts to first resist annexation by the city and then (when annexation happened) to fight for de-annexation. I truly do not care either way. Financially it appears to be a wash for people in my neighborhood. The other neighborhood involved in the de-annexation attempt primarily consists of extremely wealthy people for whom city taxes would be much higher than the cost of replacing city services with their own police force, trash collection and so forth. However, whenever they need a photogenic person put forward to the press as opposing annexation, they come to my neighborhood. Then one of my neighbors complains that "People say that this is about the rich avoiding taxes but look at my house. I'm not rich."

We have also been urged to organize against the horror of people painting their own house pink and of an apartment building being built nearby. Sometimes local politics are the pettiest kind of politics there are so I understand why people would want to deal with larger issues than these.

Once I FIRE I intend to devote some of my time to making my corner of the world a better place. In my mind I categorize things like a neighborhood watch or helping with the food bank or keeping the neighborhood's public areas beautiful as being a good citizen rather than as politics. I'm surprised that  you think of the excellent work you do with the mobile patrol as political action.

Well, much of neighborhood business, but not all, is political as in political light. Just doing mobile patrol is a politically charged issue for reasons you can probably guess (cough cough George Zimmerman and etc) Community garden work  is political, as in issues of land use in business development vs greenspace, social privelege and food security vs. poor neighbors, and etc.

There are multiple points of view for any one action, and working within that context is "political."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:47:38 PM by iris lily »

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2016, 04:06:05 PM »
Did the Breitbart thing! Also did the Sleeping Giants thing with one of their advertisers!

I heard back from the company I pinged, and they are blocking Breitbart from the sites their ads can appear on! The tiniest of victories, but its nice to have that immediate payoff sometimes. I highly recommend it for anyone who needs that little pick me up!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2016, 11:45:43 PM »
More acts:

https://www.wall-of-us.org/

-Has anyone contacted Vanguard? I honestly think that could help. They hold massive amounts of XOM.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2016, 12:00:36 AM »
Posting to follow. Thanks MonkeyJenga and everyone else.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2016, 10:25:43 PM »
I voted today in my local runoff election! I have no idea what the people I voted for do, but they were endorsed by the county Democrats, so I did my part to be a disciplined Democratic voter!

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2016, 05:49:22 AM »
IF YOU OWN VANGUARD ETFS with XOM in them (see below for partial list), please DON'T PANIC. Instead, do this:

BE CLEAR - you are NOT asking them to divest. You are asking them to represent shareholders and influence management. Specifically you want management to STOP all climate change disinformation campaigns.

Ask for your fund manager, and request that they tell XOM management to stop funding disinformation organizations   such as these:
- American Enterprise Institute (AEI received $3,615,000 from XOM from 1998-2012)
- Americans for Prosperity
- ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC received > $1.6 million from XOM 1998-2012)
- Beacon Hill Institute
- Cato Institute
- Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI received $2M from XOM '95-2012)
- Heartland Institute ($675k from XOM 97-'06)
- Heritage Foundation ($780k from XOM '01-'12)
- Institute for Energy Research
- Manhattan Institute for Policy Research ($635k XOM)
and these:
Donors Trust and Donors Advised Funds

Denial funding over time (source):

Brush up on the NASA evidence website and maybe throw in a factoid.

I'm not going to write up copypasta. I think heartfelt individual calls will be better.

Note: the image below lists some vanguard funds and XOM holdings % and amount. This is not a complete list.

Note: (I tried calling 4 times and got disconnected. I ended up emailing.. I received a letter back acknowledging my request. It didn't seem like an auto reply bot)

DON'T PANIC. But do call your vanguard fund managers.

There's about as much chance of this happening as my being drafted as a power forward by the San Antonio Spurs at age 53.

I invest in Vanguard TO MAKE MONEY, not support political windmill tilting. 

I suspect that is what most Vanguard shareholders do.

Here's a better idea (and one that might actually work)- if you don't like Trump, NOMINATE A DECENT DEM CANDIDATE NEXT TIME!  Someone that is not repugnant to a huge percentage of Americans, Republican, Dem, and otherwise.

And BTW, I suspect the Vanguard fund managers will either 1) ignore you as a crackpot or 2) ignore you as a clueless and completely inappropriate nut.

I didn't support Trump, but this stuff is just ridiculous.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 05:53:18 AM by libertarian4321 »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2016, 06:57:43 AM »
Demanding that XOM management act responsibly is not 'being a crackpot.'

I'm not asking them to sell a single share. I'm asking them to call out management on funding global warming denial propaganda.

Sure, the chance of this having any effect is small just from my phone call. But what if thousands of us call. Still - probably nothing. But what the hell. It's a phone call.  Why are you getting your knickers in a knot over a two minute phone call?

I've noticed a trend in your posts, libertarian4321: you often rage against, "you dems" and, "liberal elites."

I've also noticed that in these posts, you feel obliged to explain that you're special, in that you are neither dem or GOP, or didn't vote for trump, etc. Here's the thing: everyone else is special too, and they have their own perspectives that don't necessarily map to your idea of 'dems' or 'liberal elites'.  Not everyone who voted against Trump is a democrat. And not every democrat thinks identically. May I suggest focusing on the topic rather than slinging blame at libtard strawmen? Group attribution error hinders discussion and can blind you to nuance and alternate perspectives.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:49:53 AM by Malaysia41 »