Other > Off Topic

Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance - VICTORY!

<< < (210/264) > >>

DavidAnnArbor:
I've been conversing with various people about the importance of voting.
I sent out a message on nextdoor.com - my local area one, and typed up a post about how easy it is to do an absentee ballot, how to download the application, print it out, scan it and send it in via email in order to get the paper ballot mailed to the home.

Poundwise:
Been writing 20 postcards a day to infrequent voters, reminding them to vote for their Congressional candidate. Also have been distributing packets of cards to my friends to write.

I tried doorknocking the other day.  It was actually a very positive experience! Almost everybody who was home had not heard about the candidate, but was happy to learn. They were startled to learn that there are more registered Democrats than Republicans in the district (the part I have canvassed has been GOP for decades; there were big aggressive GOP signs everywhere and no Dem signs).  I told them to tell all their friends. 

sui generis:

--- Quote from: Poundwise on October 08, 2018, 04:48:55 AM ---Been writing 20 postcards a day to infrequent voters, reminding them to vote for their Congressional candidate. Also have been distributing packets of cards to my friends to write.

I tried doorknocking the other day.  It was actually a very positive experience! Almost everybody who was home had not heard about the candidate, but was happy to learn. They were startled to learn that there are more registered Democrats than Republicans in the district (the part I have canvassed has been GOP for decades; there were big aggressive GOP signs everywhere and no Dem signs).  I told them to tell all their friends.

--- End quote ---

awesome! Thanks for getting out there!  And recruiting more postcard writers!

BicycleB:
Phone banked for Beto (US Senate candidate in TX, close race, possible R to D flip).  Signed up for next 2 weekends.

sui generis:
One of the things I've been doing on the side (since my full time "job" at the moment is all elections all the time) is to text for Proposal 2 in MI which would end gerrymandering by establishing an independent citizens redistricting commission.  The texting is ok, but I am hearing they are doing well in the polls, so that's good! 

The interesting thing with this, as with voter registration texting I've been involved in over the last year, is that I often get replies like "No, I'm a Republican" or "No, I'm a Trump supporter."  Now, let's be clear that both of these types of texting are strictly non-partisan and we write these scripts as such, we train our volunteers to be non-partisan (we suggest that volunteers wanting to do partisan work participate in other efforts) and we QC all our vols as they are texting to be sure we stick to the non-partisan nature (as well as other QC elements like data gathering).  So everything is very strictly non-partisan.  And not only through my own texting but through talking with other texters about and QCing hundreds of thousands of texts, I have never seen anyone respond to our invitation to support an independent citizens redistricting commission or to participate in registering/reviewing voter registration with "No, I'm a liberal/progressive" or "No, I'm a Bernie/Hillary supporter".  Last week I had one even more explicit: "I'm in favor of gerrymandering if it benefits Republicans."

Republicans know that ending gerrymandering and getting more citizens registered and voting is not in their favor.  I mean, not just the "Republican party," but the average conservative guy on the street.  The Republican strategy, in the bigger picture, depends on minimizing the power of the polity, since, if we could turn out in the same ratios as them, we'd win much more.  This is both depressing and optimistic.  So, yeah, non-partisan work is also one of my small ways to help the Resistance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version