Author Topic: Science Nerds  (Read 1958 times)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Science Nerds
« on: July 12, 2019, 06:31:58 AM »
I may be a bit of an odd ball but does anyone else here really enjoy science related shows? My daughter actually sat down with me last night to watch (re-watch for me) a show about black holes. She asked a lot of questions. Einstein refused to believe black holes existed. Karl Schwarzschild solved Einstein's field equations while he was serving on the front lines of WWI calculating artillery projections.

Just curious if anyone else really enjoys these types of shows. My daughter now wants to be a scientist. ( :

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
Re: Science Nerds
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:51:34 AM »
I do. I watch science and engineering stuff on YouTube all the time. We got a Curiosity Stream subscription too. It’s pretty much all science, nature, and engineering programming.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 07:52:16 AM »
I may be a bit of an odd ball but does anyone else here really enjoy science related shows? My daughter actually sat down with me last night to watch (re-watch for me) a show about black holes. She asked a lot of questions. Einstein refused to believe black holes existed. Karl Schwarzschild solved Einstein's field equations while he was serving on the front lines of WWI calculating artillery projections.

Just curious if anyone else really enjoys these types of shows. My daughter now wants to be a scientist. ( :

Back when I still had TV, I watched shows like The Nature of Things. And nature specials.  Umm, I'm a biologist. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 08:22:40 AM »
I enjoy watching them and so does my daughter who at the current time wants to major in biology. My youngest used to watch them, but got traumatized by some "nature being nature" footage and so turns down watching them. She sometimes still watches the wildkratts show. There is a female youtuber who does shorts about various animals, think squid and octopuses in a fun entertaining vein, but I'll have to ask my daughter what her name is.   My sister and I have always been into science and science fiction. Some good authors if you want to read some mind bending stuff, after reading hawking, is Leonard Susskin, and Brian Greene (though I don't know how long it will be if ever, string theories can be proven/disproven).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:11:02 AM by partgypsy »

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 08:34:56 AM »
Yep!  Space-related shows and movies, especially.  I read Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" as a freshman in high school.....for fun.  And it was fun!  It's a great book if you're captivated by black holes.

I thought I'd be a biologist, but I got to college and fell in love with chemistry instead.  I'm about to start my new job as a legit rocket scientist, and I'm so excited.  :)

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 08:45:10 AM »
I saw those black hole Nova shows.  PBS had some good documentaries about the moon launch the last few days.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 09:04:27 AM »
Of course, but it stands to reason in a house of biologists.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 09:10:53 AM »
Yep - used to watch them with my dad as a kid. He also used to wake us up for lunar eclipses and other events like that.
I became a research scientist, I think dad’s interest had some impact on that.

Of course we watched Looney Toons too - lots of “physics” - especially via Wild E. Coyote.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 09:22:50 AM »
Hell yeah, science is great.  I love some good meaty science articles or videos, always have.  Early elementary school was all about space and planets, late elementary school was all dinosaurs.  Now as an adult, space and dinosaurs both remain constants in my brain.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 09:43:58 AM »

Back when I still had TV, I watched shows like The Nature of Things.

So did I.

I haven't had a TV for years and I don't miss it.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 09:45:45 AM »
I saw those black hole Nova shows.

+1.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 09:54:56 AM »
David Attenborough talking about the Ring of Fire was cool.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 09:59:40 AM »

He's a superb science-matters communicator.

I mean "matters" in two senses.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:02:01 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 10:04:01 AM »

He's a superb science-matters communicator.

I mean "matters" in two senses.

Yup, David Attenborough and David Suzuki.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »
The original Cosmos series with Carl Sagan is also brilliant.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
The only things I watch on Netflix are documentaries.  I just finished binge-watching nothing but David Attenborough's voice for a week.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 10:49:54 AM »
The only things I watch on Netflix are documentaries.  I just finished binge-watching nothing but David Attenborough's voice for a week.

+1 to that. My DW laughs because I love listening to Neil deGrasse talk as well.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 01:01:15 PM »
joe rogan has some pretty interesting youtube/podcast interviews. very long form so almost too much information to absorb.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 02:30:38 PM »
I got bit when the original "Cosmos" aired. I loved that show! The new one was great too. If you like the science of every day "stuff" Destin at Smarter Every Day does a great job.

https://www.youtube.com/user/destinws2

He's a, aerospace engineer and avowed space junkie.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »
Science Friday on NPR is fun - hits a lot of different technologies and areas of study.

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »
Proud science  nerd - science related shows are my primary tv watching.

If your daughter liked that show, I would highly recommend the PBS special called "light Falls".

It is technically a play - it takes place on a stage and has a narrator and some actors, with fantastic light presentations.  They do a superb job of breaking down Einsteins theories and explaining them for non-physicists and the lighted screen is really cool. 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 04:17:05 PM »

If your daughter liked that show, I would highly recommend the PBS special called "light Falls".

It is technically a play - it takes place on a stage and has a narrator and some actors, with fantastic light presentations.  They do a superb job of breaking down Einsteins theories and explaining them for non-physicists and the lighted screen is really cool.

Thanks I’ll check that out

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 04:41:15 PM »

Thanks I’ll check that out

Sort of like "Dance your Ph.D."?

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2019, 05:05:51 AM »
Wait. There are people who don't love science?

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2019, 07:48:46 AM »
Wait. There are people who don't love science?

You'd be surprised. There are people that love the convenient modern lifestyle that scientific breakthroughs have delivered to them, but don't want to accept the uncomfortable truths that often come along with those breakthroughs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!