Author Topic: Schadenfreude  (Read 3903 times)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Schadenfreude
« on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:33 AM »
Two of my co-workers (colleagues is too nice a word) have given me quite a difficult time since I've been here.  To make myself feel better I refer to them mentally as Crabbe and Goyle.

To give a little back story, one (Goyle) actively started to harass me daily and sabotage me from practically the moment I arrived at the level of stealing things that I needed for my work, which took me awhile to figure out, and eventually I had to file an official complaint.  Thankfully, everyone seemed to believe me, as there had been other similar complaints in the distant past about the same person, but they didn't end of firing him because they couldn't prove what happened.  The other guy is basically his side kick who has harassed me much more mildly, but he has knocked that off since my official complaint; it seems he likes his job more than his "buddy."

And so, for the first time in my life, I now get to experience Schadenfreude.  Every time they mess up, which is regularly.  This morning Crabbe is running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to fix a screw up he made that is about to affect hundreds of people in 10 minutes.  He won't let me know directly what happened, and thankfully he is smart enough not to ask me to help him dig out of the mess he made, but I am hearing the story as he runs around and makes pleas for help from various other people.  At least he admits it; just heard him say "totally my fault."  Goyle did something similar a few months ago, and I got to witness his panic after he realized he was affecting hundreds of people because he didn't catch it before everyone arrived, but of course Goyle ultimately tried to pin it on others below him on the food chain (but I KNOW who really fucked up, and so do several other people.) 

Ah Schadenfreude!

Share your related stories here.  Normally I would feel guilty about taking delight in the misfortune of others, but not in the case of these two bozos. 

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Schadenfreude
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 07:42:45 AM »
Not meaning to derail, but I it's been a long time since I had colleagues like that.  They sound horrible and extremely immature to treat you so badly.  I am sorry that you had to put up with stuff like that at work. 

Sorry, no story to share here but I am sure other people will have some.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 07:51:36 AM »
How can you make them your friends, or at least your allies, on your team?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »

. . . and then when their guard is down . . . CRUSH them!

I like the cut of your jib rebel.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:05:14 PM »
Oh, rebel, you are such a kind and reasonable guy.  GuitarStv is more on target though.

There is hope in being able to work with Crabbe, and I do make a consistent effort to be nice to him, even inviting him to projects and complimenting him when others bring him up. 

Goyle, though, is a thoroughly revolting worm and I can't even accidentally glance in his direction without having to suppress a retch.  I could never ever pretend to be his ally.  Our current boss once offered to take a baseball bat to him for his antics (that was before he was the boss; I'm sure now he would choose his words more carefully.)  We all wait impatiently for him to teeter off into a long, long, long overdue retirement.  Unfortunately he seems to be one of those idiots who handled money so badly all his life that he still can't retire even in his mid-70's.

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »

. . . and then when their guard is down . . . CRUSH them!

I like the cut of your jib rebel.

^^That

Really made my day.

Thanks for the chuckle!

Al

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »
Do they work with you at the ice skating rink?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
Oh, rebel, you are such a kind and reasonable guy.

It's purely for selfish reasons, I'm sure.  But I think you'll not only get further at work, but also just be happier in general if you can accomplish this.

Also GuitarStv, I lol'd.  Well done.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29:17 PM »
Rebel, I appreciate your outlook, I really do, and it's my basic life philosophy. 

However, I can assure you that nothing makes me happier than reveling in the glow of Goyle's screw ups after all the harassment and efforts he made to undermine me in an attempt to cause me to lose my job.  All because I am female (it's that simple and harassing women has been described as his "hobby" by more than one other person here; he has run off nearly every woman who has tried to work here.  I do understand that it's nothing personal.)  This is not a "can't we all just get along" situation.  This is not a "be a team player" situation.  It is a "Crabbe and Goyle better give Zamboni a wide berth or be plowed under with the scrapers and boiling water" scenario.

I work with many other people I like, and I would do all I could to help them if they had a problem.  Like I've said before, just doing my job to smooth the ice for those who come after me.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »

I hear you.  :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!