Author Topic: Psychology of minimalism/decluttering workbooks?  (Read 1288 times)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Psychology of minimalism/decluttering workbooks?
« on: May 03, 2017, 05:40:10 AM »
Does anyone know of any good resources on the psychological aspects of decluttering and minimalism (enough is enough)? I'm looking for something that I can work through which will help me deal with my emotions related to Stuff, not a sort of "First throw out all your unworn clothes...". I'm open to something theoretical as long as it has some take homes/action points too. Written is better for me than video/pictures, and I'm happy for it to be online or in a book. I'm very unlikely to pay for content unless I really believe it will be spectacular.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
Re: Psychology of minimalism/decluttering workbooks?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:18:02 AM »
Try The Minimalists. Their content is free via articles and a podcast. The basic premise is to figure out what brings joy or adds value to your life and minimize the other stuff so you can focus on the important things. Not everyone's cup of tea and they do repeat themselves a lot, but you can pick and choose the podcast topics you're interested in and just listen to those.

What are your hang ups related to stuff? Is it sentimentality? Fear of wasting money? Aversion to the aesthetics of minimalism?

GetSmart

• Stubble
Re: Psychology of minimalism/decluttering workbooks?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:44:54 AM »
You might try Karen Kingston -- Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui.  I believe she's recently updated it.  And it's something that you can read over and over.  She has several websites and blog at: spaceclearing dot com.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!