Author Topic: Peterson on Climate Change  (Read 4740 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Peterson on Climate Change
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2023, 12:42:13 PM »
Re what Metalcat has been talking about - the thing with science is that our knowledge is always changing.  Some things are just clearer understanding, some are radical.

Clearer understanding - malaria literally means bad air.  So no open windows at night to let in the bad air.  Of course what the closed windows meant was that malarial mosquitoes couldn't enter and infect sleeping people.  So clearer understanding of why closed windows at night were a "good practice" in areas with malaria..

Tectonic plate theory, on the other hand, was a radical change in our understanding.

So why is it surprising that our understanding of Covid (and what recommendations for public health would be most helpful) would change as we learned more?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2023, 01:14:14 PM »
This is interesting, I didn't realize the disciplinary approach was out of the public eye.    The medical community seems to keep disciplinary actions very quiet.

If a P.Eng screws up, his disciplinary notice is made public, even if the consequence is just (re)training.

https://members.cpo.on.ca/public_register/show/19846

They kind of make it public, but not the details.  If you click under 'Discipline and Other Proceedings' there is a summary of the judgement and remedial action requested of Peterson.

If you're interested, Peterson himself published all of the details of the proceeding on twitter, but then deleted them later.  Fortunately, the original details published by Peterson are still available here:  https://www.scribd.com/document/618259056/Ontario-College-of-Psychologists-vs-Jordan-Peterson#

Nothing ever really disappears from the internet.  :P

If you read through his tweets and then compare to the code of conduct (posted earlier) that Peterson swore to follow as a clinical psychologist, I can't really see a valid defense to be made.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 01:17:37 PM by GuitarStv »

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2023, 01:51:03 PM »

1) Canada mandated using specific labels when talking to/about trans (non-binary?) people.
2) Peterson said he used the preferred pronouns, etc of individual trans (non-binary?) people he encountered.
3) Peterson thought the mandate was a violation of free speech rights and therefore wrong.

I can see the point. Government mandated speech is not free speech.

If someone has a compelling counter-argument or some circumstance I'm missing*, please do share. I haven't delved deep into the topic - I just watched a few of his videos years ago. Since then it's been indirect information. I didn't know about his idiotic take on climate change until this thread.

*Something like "If you are paid by the Government you must use this speech during working hours" would be a compelling counter-argument to me.

I initially thought what he was stating was reasonable but I think if you look at the facts he is misrepresenting the situation in an extreme fashion.

https://torontoist.com/2016/12/are-jordan-petersons-claims-about-bill-c-16-correct/
https://sds.utoronto.ca/blog/bill-c-16-no-its-not-about-criminalizing-pronoun-misuse/

This is his shtick. He is very dramatic. He takes extreme positions while trying to appear in the middle but it's all a fraud.

Cossman says it seems Peterson is trying to argue that the misuse of pronouns could constitute hate speech.

“I don’t think there’s any legal expert that would say that [this] would meet the threshold for hate speech in Canada,” she says.

Our courts have a very high threshold for what kind of comments actually constitutes hate speech, and the nature of speech would have to be much more extreme than simply pronoun misuse, according to Cossman.

“The misuse of pronouns is not equivalent to advocating genocide in any conceivable manner,” she continues. “If he advocated genocide against trans people, he would be in violation, but misusing pronouns is not what that provision of the code is about.”

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2023, 02:10:38 PM »
He's the one making a big deal of this, which is seriously suspect. He could have just quietly done the stupid course and had no issues, but he's the one railing against the very well established rules of a college that he chooses to be part of.

Seriously, as a future colleague of his in the same province, and as a current licensed professional of another college in his province, his interpretation of what's happening to him is downright embarrassing and tantamount to an entirely unnecessary hissy fit.

It's pretty transparently an attempt to play the victim persecuted by the woke folk. And he's just assuming, correctly, that most people have no idea how the rules for his profession actually work.

This is his playbook.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2023, 02:14:53 PM »
Although I find JP interesting and/or entertaining, I have never understood how people can be such blind followers of his commentary.  People who claim to know everything or have all the answers are generally the people to avoid or at least be leery.  I used to have a friend who would joke that most be people want to follow and he was more than happy to lead them.  I suspect personalities like JP think along these lines and the fact that it's profitable is a bonus.

Whether you're an employee, member of the military, part of a professional organization or simply a citizen of a country, people often don't realize how many "freedoms" you give up to participate.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 02:16:48 PM by bmjohnson35 »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2023, 12:53:28 PM »

1) Canada mandated using specific labels when talking to/about trans (non-binary?) people.
2) Peterson said he used the preferred pronouns, etc of individual trans (non-binary?) people he encountered.
3) Peterson thought the mandate was a violation of free speech rights and therefore wrong.

If someone has a compelling counter-argument or some circumstance I'm missing*, please do share. I haven't delved deep into the topic - I just watched a few of his videos years ago. Since then it's been indirect information. I didn't know about his idiotic take on climate change until this thread.

*Something like "If you are paid by the Government you must use this speech during working hours" would be a compelling counter-argument to me.

I initially thought what he was stating was reasonable but I think if you look at the facts he is misrepresenting the situation in an extreme fashion.

https://torontoist.com/2016/12/are-jordan-petersons-claims-about-bill-c-16-correct/
https://sds.utoronto.ca/blog/bill-c-16-no-its-not-about-criminalizing-pronoun-misuse/

This is his shtick. He is very dramatic. He takes extreme positions while trying to appear in the middle but it's all a fraud.

Cossman says it seems Peterson is trying to argue that the misuse of pronouns could constitute hate speech.

“I don’t think there’s any legal expert that would say that [this] would meet the threshold for hate speech in Canada,” she says.

Our courts have a very high threshold for what kind of comments actually constitutes hate speech, and the nature of speech would have to be much more extreme than simply pronoun misuse, according to Cossman.

“The misuse of pronouns is not equivalent to advocating genocide in any conceivable manner,” she continues. “If he advocated genocide against trans people, he would be in violation, but misusing pronouns is not what that provision of the code is about.”

Hunh. Is there quite a lot of genocide in Canada? I guess, if adding new groups to laws preventing “genocide” prevents those groups from experiencing the genocide, well hey. Good on you all.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2023, 01:48:13 PM »

Hunh. Is there quite a lot of genocide in Canada? I guess, if adding new groups to laws preventing “genocide” prevents those groups from experiencing the genocide, well hey. Good on you all.

If Hitler came to Canada tomorrow and said that Jews are a gigantic problem and they should be exterminated, Hitler would be issued a fine and his pamphlets/materials espousing this view would most likely be confiscated.  It's not a law against genocide, it's a law against speech that can reasonably be considered advocating genocide against people.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2023, 03:19:19 PM »
Re what Metalcat has been talking about - the thing with science is that our knowledge is always changing.  Some things are just clearer understanding, some are radical.

Clearer understanding - malaria literally means bad air.  So no open windows at night to let in the bad air.  Of course what the closed windows meant was that malarial mosquitoes couldn't enter and infect sleeping people.  So clearer understanding of why closed windows at night were a "good practice" in areas with malaria..

Tectonic plate theory, on the other hand, was a radical change in our understanding.

So why is it surprising that our understanding of Covid (and what recommendations for public health would be most helpful) would change as we learned more?

I found it surprising that we were recommended *not* to wear masks for a novel respiratory infection when lots of other respiratory infections can be controlled by wearing masks.     I didn't see why we had to wait for "evidence" about masks when we went right on addressing fomites with about the same amount of evidence.    I didn't mean to derail the thread though, I just found Metalcat's exposition interesting.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2023, 03:35:56 PM »

I found it surprising that we were recommended *not* to wear masks for a novel respiratory infection when lots of other respiratory infections can be controlled by wearing masks.     I didn't see why we had to wait for "evidence" about masks when we went right on addressing fomites with about the same amount of evidence.    I didn't mean to derail the thread though, I just found Metalcat's exposition interesting.

To be fair, no one here in Canada recommended that the public not wear masks, so I wasn't actually staying an opinion on that recommendation because I'm not familiar with it. I was just saying that I understood from a medical perspective why doctors would look at the risk of people not using PPE properly, especially if the risk of contact transmission had been as high as we were worried about early on.

Do I think telling people that wearing masks is ineffective during a respiratory viral pandemic is smart? Absolutely not, especially when you then need to turn around and say the opposite. But I do understand the rationale that might have motivated it at the time.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2023, 04:24:46 PM »

To be fair, no one here in Canada recommended that the public not wear masks, so I wasn't actually staying an opinion on that recommendation because I'm not familiar with it. I was just saying that I understood from a medical perspective why doctors would look at the risk of people not using PPE properly, especially if the risk of contact transmission had been as high as we were worried about early on.

Do I think telling people that wearing masks is ineffective during a respiratory viral pandemic is smart? Absolutely not, especially when you then need to turn around and say the opposite. But I do understand the rationale that might have motivated it at the time.

The rationale was that it was better to lie to people for the greater good.  It was a shitty rationale and ended up seriously damaging trust/credibility and only lent credence and weight to conspiracy theories.

If you want people to trust you, don't lie to them.  It's always a bad plan.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2023, 04:30:43 PM »
The rationale was that it was better to lie to people for the greater good.  It was a shitty rationale and ended up seriously damaging trust/credibility and only lent credence and weight to conspiracy theories.

If you want people to trust you, don't lie to them.  It's always a bad plan.

I don't disagree with this at all. I was literally only saying, multiple times now, that I understand why some medical professionals would genuinely think that the risks of improper use of masks could make public masking more risky and therefore not necessarily advisable, especially if contact transmission is a major concern.

But no, lying and then having to suddenly do an about face on that lie is a terrible way to promote trust. Just awful.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2023, 05:47:24 PM »
As a layperson I got the impression that lying to people about the effectiveness of N95 face masks to prevent viral infections was done on purpose to prevent further runs and hoarding of face masks so they could actually be used where they are needed - in the medical profession.

The idea that the medical profession would assume that face masks should not be recommended based on the idea that people don't know how to wear them correctly and the virus is primarily spread through contact surfaces seems ... odd.

Why would the CDC assume that covid spreads drastically differently than something like the rhinovirus then make policy decisions based on this assumption?

Certainly someone at the CDC had some idea that covid could be spread from aerosolozed droplets...?

Honestly I would rather believe that the CDC lied on purpose for the greater good than to believe they are incompetent.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2023, 06:37:59 PM »

I really appreciate the references. It sounds like he was entirely full of shit.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2023, 06:55:28 PM »
As a layperson I got the impression that lying to people about the effectiveness of N95 face masks to prevent viral infections was done on purpose to prevent further runs and hoarding of face masks so they could actually be used where they are needed - in the medical profession.

The idea that the medical profession would assume that face masks should not be recommended based on the idea that people don't know how to wear them correctly and the virus is primarily spread through contact surfaces seems ... odd.

This is indeed the reason that Fauci gave when asked about the lies.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2023, 07:14:52 PM »
Oh, fuck yes. There was a massive, long-term genocide against the indigenous population with the super overt form lasting until shockingly recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/24/pope-in-canada-to-apologise-for-abuse-of-indigenous-children-in-church-schools
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/indigenous-residential-school-scandal-rocks-canadas-self-image-2499078

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2023, 07:23:43 PM »
A someone who is a certified trainer/evaluator for OSHA respirator training.... Yeah, far too many people are Fing idiots who refuse to follow really simple protocols despite training. I actually had a formal complaint to my supervisor for refusing to certify someone who had a full beard and refused to shave the portion of their face where the respirator* should seal. They couldn't even Fing follow the protocol long enough to pass certification, let alone for the next 3 years the cert would have been good for.

* https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.134AppA Yes, I used the Rainbow Passage.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2023, 07:36:11 PM »

Why would the CDC assume that covid spreads drastically differently than something like the rhinovirus then make policy decisions based on this assumption?

Certainly someone at the CDC had some idea that covid could be spread from aerosolozed droplets...?

Honestly I would rather believe that the CDC lied on purpose for the greater good than to believe they are incompetent.

Ugh, okay, for the last time, I'm not actually commenting on the statement the CDC made. I was *just* saying that I could understand why medical professionals might look at the situation where there is a PPE shortage, look at lay people's inability to put on and take off masks safely, and think "hmm...maybe we shouldn't be actively recommending PPE for lay folk." Not that they should lie to people and then turn around and say "okay, now ignore that lie."

I've just trained too many staff on proper PPE use and watched people do dumb and dangerous shit that puts themselves at risk. It's the same way it's not advised for food prep staff to wear gloves, because they don't use them properly and end up creating more risk. There's no question that proper use of gloves in food prep is safer, but actual use is often a disaster.

Obviously proper use of PPE is helpful, but I can understand doctors questioning improper use of PPE. All I could picture was people walking around grocery stores wearing gloves, therefore not sanitizing their hands, and then touching their face over and over to put on and take off their masks, or pull them under their chins to talk.

But hey, I was wrong. Contact wasn't the concern it was thought to be and it turned out breathing and talking were bigger concerns and any masking was critical, even if done horribly wrong. I didn't know that at the beginning. I was hyper focused on contact. I was sanitizing frickin' everything as if I was still in my clinic. Eventually it became abundantly clear that groceries and deliveries could come into my house without having to be quarantined or dipped in a diluted bleach bath, and that was cool because that was tedious.

As I said, we learned a lot. Like not to lie about policies that you have to try and reverse shortly afterwards.

ETA: I suppose technically it wasn't a lie, the research available on public masking to reduce community spread was actually highly conflicted in 2020. It's an almost impossible thing to control in research, so it makes sense that the existing research at the time was a conflicted mess. But obviously the deception comes from the fact that the research wasn't really the primary reason for the recommendation.

Still, again, frickin' lesson learned. Look at the anti masking shit show that followed in the US...fucking crazy. That's another thing that I could have never, ever seen coming. It would never in a million years occur to me that the public would become hostile about protecting themselves.

Fucking wild.

Yet again...we learned a lot.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 08:43:16 PM by Metalcat »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2023, 08:43:07 PM »
Oh, fuck yes. There was a massive, long-term genocide against the indigenous population with the super overt form lasting until shockingly recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/24/pope-in-canada-to-apologise-for-abuse-of-indigenous-children-in-church-schools
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/indigenous-residential-school-scandal-rocks-canadas-self-image-2499078

I heard an interesting interview with a reporter, whose name I do not remember,  that debunks the story in your 2nd reference the ndtv report. That was a big worldwide news story for a few days but the essence was proven to be false.

https://www.snopes.com/articles/351645/unmarked-graves-indian-school/

I wish I could remember the reporters name, but he is someone who reports sincerely and regularly on the very REAL abuse of First Nation People  in Canada. He is sympathetic to that situation. He himself said that it does no one any good to gen up false reports.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2023, 08:44:36 PM »

I heard an interesting interview with a reporter, whose name I do not remember,  that debunks the story in your 2nd reference the ndtv report. That was a big worldwide news story for a few days but the essence was proven to be false.

I wish I could remember the reporters name, but he is someone who reports sincerely and regularly on the very REAL abuse of First Nation People  in Canada. He is sympathetic to that situation. He himself said that it does no one any good to gen up false reports.

That doesn't reduce the very real genocide that did actually happen. You asked about genocide in Canada and were given a very real answer of one that happened in fairly recent history.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2023, 08:56:33 PM »

Sure, it is common sense that scientific findings change. But that’s not always the news that was passed out to us peons all too often about COVID. Remember when our own Dr.
Fauci declared “when you attack Fauci you attack The Science!!!!?”

Bullshit.

Anthony Fauci had a tough job and did much of it admirably.  But in his role of High Priest of The
Science, he and his henchmen on MSNBC and their followers were too often arrogant pricks. And  anyone with common sense understands  arrogant pricks place their ego before truth and so their seeding distrust among the masses was inevitable.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 09:05:59 PM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2023, 08:57:31 PM »

That doesn't reduce the very real genocide that did actually happen. You asked about genocide in Canada and were given a very real answer of one that happened in fairly recent history.

Yes, I am well aware of Canadian history with First Nations People. I had not thought of it as “genocide “but as a far-reaching, tragic social experiment.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 09:00:05 PM by iris lily »

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2023, 09:21:12 PM »

Sure, it is common sense that scientific findings change. But that’s not always the news that was passed out to us peons all too often about COVID. Remember when our own Dr.

Bullshit.

Anthony Fauci had a tough job and did much of it admirably.  But in his role of High Priest of The Science, he and his henchmen on MSNBC and their followers were too often arrogant pricks. And  anyone with common sense understands  arrogant pricks place their ego before truth and so their seeding distrust among the masses was inevitable.

I'm glad Fauci was putting out the covid danger message more forcefully. In the midst of batshit trump lunacy, someone had to to put on the big boy pants- (cuz certainly, that dipshit trump wasn't), put the word out, and try to slap some sense on those mofos

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2023, 09:23:38 PM »

Bullshit.

Anthony Fauci had a tough job and did much of it admirably.  But in his role of High Priest of The Science, he and his henchmen on MSNBC and their followers were too often arrogant pricks. And  anyone with common sense understands  arrogant pricks place their ego before truth and so their seeding distrust among the masses was inevitable.

I'm glad Fauci was putting out the covid danger message more forcefully. In the midst of batshit trump lunacy, someone had to to put on the big boy pants- (cuz certainly, that dipshit trump wasn't), put the word out, and try to slap some sense on those mofos

Well, I did feel sorry for Fauci in those daily press conferences with the president. There was some real cringe there.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2023, 09:40:28 PM »
Yes, I am well aware of Canadian history with First Nations People. I had not thought of it as “genocide “but as a far-reaching, tragic social experiment.

But...it's been officially recognized as genocide for some time.

I'm honestly curious what you think amounts to genocide if you are well aware of the history and don't think it counts.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2023, 03:50:05 AM »

Ugh, okay, for the last time, I'm not actually commenting on the statement the CDC made. I was *just* saying that I could understand why medical professionals might look at the situation where there is a PPE shortage, look at lay people's inability to put on and take off masks safely, and think "hmm...maybe we shouldn't be actively recommending PPE for lay folk." Not that they should lie to people and then turn around and say "okay, now ignore that lie."

I've just trained too many staff on proper PPE use and watched people do dumb and dangerous shit that puts themselves at risk. It's the same way it's not advised for food prep staff to wear gloves, because they don't use them properly and end up creating more risk. There's no question that proper use of gloves in food prep is safer, but actual use is often a disaster.

Obviously proper use of PPE is helpful, but I can understand doctors questioning improper use of PPE. All I could picture was people walking around grocery stores wearing gloves, therefore not sanitizing their hands, and then touching their face over and over to put on and take off their masks, or pull them under their chins to talk.

But hey, I was wrong. Contact wasn't the concern it was thought to be and it turned out breathing and talking were bigger concerns and any masking was critical, even if done horribly wrong. I didn't know that at the beginning. I was hyper focused on contact. I was sanitizing frickin' everything as if I was still in my clinic. Eventually it became abundantly clear that groceries and deliveries could come into my house without having to be quarantined or dipped in a diluted bleach bath, and that was cool because that was tedious.

As I said, we learned a lot. Like not to lie about policies that you have to try and reverse shortly afterwards.

ETA: I suppose technically it wasn't a lie, the research available on public masking to reduce community spread was actually highly conflicted in 2020. It's an almost impossible thing to control in research, so it makes sense that the existing research at the time was a conflicted mess. But obviously the deception comes from the fact that the research wasn't really the primary reason for the recommendation.

Still, again, frickin' lesson learned. Look at the anti masking shit show that followed in the US...fucking crazy. That's another thing that I could have never, ever seen coming. It would never in a million years occur to me that the public would become hostile about protecting themselves.

Fucking wild.

I get what you are saying - you can understand why a medical professional would make this recommendation. Not that you endorsed this recommendation per se or endorsed what the CDC said.

As someone who assumed this was spread primarily through the air and who bought N95 masks for my family when Covid was in China, I am genuinely curious why so many medical professionals such as yourself assumed it would primarily be spread through contact though.

I get that we had no firm evidence that it was spread primarily from aerosol droplets, but IIRC didn't we ALSO have no firm evidence that it was spread primarily through contact? All I remember reading at the time was some studies showing how long the virus could remain viable on different surfaces at different temperatures and humidity levels so we only proved that it COULD be spread this way in theory, not that it WAS being spread primarily this way in practice.

Then I remember a LOT of medical professionals prancing around singing the same song about contact spread that wasn't supported by any real evidence. It just seemed like an absurd amount of group think going on in a profession where people don't seem to be permitted to challenge the status quo.

I mean - we had some estimates for the R0 value for the virus, that seemed far more consistent with other viruses that are known to primarily spread through aerosolized droplets than contact surfaces.

I understand why right wing Republicans wanted to burn their masks. There is a long human history of war and dictatorship and people in authority hurting their subjects in the world that caused a lot of their fears initially, which then continued through the generations, which may seem completely irrational in the modern world. But I at least understand that mindset and mental framework. It even makes sense to me, given historical context.

I have no idea why so many medical professionals would assume COVID was spread primarily through contact and make policy decisions based on this idea.

In the US there were trained medical professionals arguing that an N95 mask is not effective at combating the spread outside the hospital, while in the same breath begging for more N95 masks to stop the spread within the hospital.

I find the idea that people should be told not to wear a life saving device during a pandemic because they lack medical credentials and thus don't know how to wear a mask to be kind of condescending, honestly.

This would be like me assuming that anyone who has not written 500,000+ lines of code for an engineering application lacks basic logic and reasoning abilities.

I get that some people have no idea how to wear PPE. What I'm saying is to make this general recommendation for everyone in the US from our highest medical authorities seemed either condescending, ignorant, or frankly unethical, depending on what you think the rationale was.

A surprising number of medical professionals seem to blindly follow these sorts of recommendations without question, because it is easier to appeal to some authority figure than it is to appeal to actual data these days. So by extension this makes the entire medical community *appear* sort of ignorant in this regard simply because a lot of them are blindly following CDC guidelines. At least in this very specific circumstance.

Again - I understand what you are saying here...you can understand why medical professionals would make this recommendation. What I am saying is - unless there is some sort of study showing that improper mask usage generally results in further spread of a virus within a population, then it is unethical to make this sort of recommendation because it is not based on any actual data.

I'm not arguing against what you are saying or judging you.

I'm trying to understand what scientific studies you read, or what sources you were listening to that would cause you and every other medical professional to conclude that COVID is spread primarily through contact surfaces in the spring of 2020.

Because as a layperson who lacks medical training the data itself seemed absurdly obvious to me.

So I have to conclude that either I missed some very obvious studies at the time, or misunderstood something about the studies I read, or that the entire medical community is prone to group think and randomly makes stupid recommendations based on a misunderstanding of the data.

ETA: For reference, most of the studies and information I was reading at the time originated from Dr. John Campbell's Youtube videos. So it's not like I had access to some specialized medical journals or knowledge or training or anything...which presumably the CDC has access to.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 04:10:24 AM by TreeLeaf »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2023, 04:13:25 AM »

First, the UN definition of genocide under article II

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

Killing members of the group;
Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Canada even concluded in 2019 that what had occurred with respect to First Nations was in fact  state sponsored genocide. PM Trudeau issued a formal statement and apology, and a similar motion was passed by unanimous consent.

I don’t understand why you havent considered this to be genocide when the perpetrators have openly declared it to be so. 

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2023, 06:45:03 AM »

Fucking wild.

I get what you are saying - you can understand why a medical professional would make this recommendation. Not that you endorsed this recommendation per se or endorsed what the CDC said.

As someone who assumed this was spread primarily through the air and who bought N95 masks for my family when Covid was in China, I am genuinely curious why so many medical professionals such as yourself assumed it would primarily be spread through contact though.

I get that we had no firm evidence that it was spread primarily from aerosol droplets, but IIRC didn't we ALSO have no firm evidence that it was spread primarily through contact? All I remember reading at the time was some studies showing how long the virus could remain viable on different surfaces at different temperatures and humidity levels so we only proved that it COULD be spread this way in theory, not that it WAS being spread primarily this way in practice.

Then I remember a LOT of medical professionals prancing around singing the same song about contact spread that wasn't supported by any real evidence. It just seemed like an absurd amount of group think going on in a profession where people don't seem to be permitted to challenge the status quo.

I mean - we had some estimates for the R0 value for the virus, that seemed far more consistent with other viruses that are known to primarily spread through aerosolized droplets than contact surfaces.

I understand why right wing Republicans wanted to burn their masks. There is a long human history of war and dictatorship and people in authority hurting their subjects in the world that caused a lot of their fears initially, which then continued through the generations, which may seem completely irrational in the modern world. But I at least understand that mindset and mental framework. It even makes sense to me, given historical context.

I have no idea why so many medical professionals would assume COVID was spread primarily through contact and make policy decisions based on this idea.

In the US there were trained medical professionals arguing that an N95 mask is not effective at combating the spread outside the hospital, while in the same breath begging for more N95 masks to stop the spread within the hospital.

I find the idea that people should be told not to wear a life saving device during a pandemic because they lack medical credentials and thus don't know how to wear a mask to be kind of condescending, honestly.

This would be like me assuming that anyone who has not written 500,000+ lines of code for an engineering application lacks basic logic and reasoning abilities.

I get that some people have no idea how to wear PPE. What I'm saying is to make this general recommendation for everyone in the US from our highest medical authorities seemed either condescending, ignorant, or frankly unethical, depending on what you think the rationale was.

A surprising number of medical professionals seem to blindly follow these sorts of recommendations without question, because it is easier to appeal to some authority figure than it is to appeal to actual data these days. So by extension this makes the entire medical community *appear* sort of ignorant in this regard simply because a lot of them are blindly following CDC guidelines. At least in this very specific circumstance.

Again - I understand what you are saying here...you can understand why medical professionals would make this recommendation. What I am saying is - unless there is some sort of study showing that improper mask usage generally results in further spread of a virus within a population, then it is unethical to make this sort of recommendation because it is not based on any actual data.

I'm not arguing against what you are saying or judging you.

I'm trying to understand what scientific studies you read, or what sources you were listening to that would cause you and every other medical professional to conclude that COVID is spread primarily through contact surfaces in the spring of 2020.

Because as a layperson who lacks medical training the data itself seemed absurdly obvious to me.

So I have to conclude that either I missed some very obvious studies at the time, or misunderstood something about the studies I read, or that the entire medical community is prone to group think and randomly makes stupid recommendations based on a misunderstanding of the data.

ETA: For reference, most of the studies and information I was reading at the time originated from Dr. John Campbell's Youtube videos. So it's not like I had access to some specialized medical journals or knowledge or training or anything...which presumably the CDC has access to.

I´m a retired pulmonary/critical care physician and have to admit first that I did not follow the antics of DJT and his cast but I do remember hearing something to the effect of a general recommendation of contact precautions but not mask wearing coming from the administration at some point.

I can offer a perspective from the subspecialty. Very early on, we developed the consensus that the threat is best met initially with precautionary airborne and contact precautions until further notice.

This almost immediately precipitated a shortage of PPE (personal protective equipment including N95 respirators b/o the airborne precautions) because the use of PPE was immediately expanded to a much larger group of patients than usual. The best examples for the routine use of airborne precautions in the hospital setting are tuberculosis and varicella/shingles, and there are just never as many cases around at any one time as there were with the Covid surges.

At this time there was no proof that the threat was airborne but it was assumed to be, awaiting confirmation. The confirmation came shortly with several well documented cases of airborne spread patterns in the setting of superspreader events.

Could it be that the message, that airborne precautions are used in the clinical setting but that there was no proof yet of airborne transmission, got garbled into health workers needing to wear masks but the general population does not?
I guess anything is possible with an administration like we had at the time.

In any case, I do not think that I washed my hands more than usual and I did not wipe down any more surfaces than usual.
That the threat was indeed airborne was obvious almost from the beginning, at least for the specialist but apparently also for the interested lay person. And there is really no arguing otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 05:50:23 PM by PeteD01 »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2023, 07:05:14 AM »
I´m a retired pulmonary/critical care physician and have to admit first that I did not follow the antics of DJT and his cast but I do remember hearing something to the effect that a general recommendation of contact precautions but not mask wearing came from the administration at some point.

I can offer a perspective from the subspecialty. Very early on, we developed the consensus that the threat is best met initially with precautionary airborne and contact precautions until further notice.

This almost immediately precipitated a shortage of PPE (personal protective equipment including N95 respirators b/o the airborne precautions) because the use of PPE was immediately expanded to a much larger group of patients than usual. The best examples for the routine use of airborne precautions in the hospital setting are tuberculosis and varicella/shingles, and there are just never as many cases around at any one time as there were with the Covid surges.

At this time there was no proof that the threat was airborne but was assumed to be awaiting confirmation. The confirmation came shortly with several well documented cases of airborne spread patterns in the setting of superspreader events.

Could it be that the message, that airborne precautions are used in the clinical setting but that there was no proof yet of airborne transmission, got garbled into health workers need to wear masks but the general population does not need to?

In any case, I do not think that I washed my hands no more than usual and I did not wipe down any more surfaces than usual.
That the threat was indeed airborne was obvious almost from the beginning, at least for the specialist but apparently also for the interested lay person. And there is really no arguing otherwise.

To be fair, I never said that I thought it *wasn't* airborne, and I'm getting a little sick of repeatedly having to explain what I didn't say.

I simply said that there was a lot of emphasis on concerns about contact spread at the time, there was a PPE shortage, even of basic medical masks, and lay people generally don't even know how to use basic medical masks properly.

To be clear, I also never said I didn't think N95s were effective. I said I understood why general masking might not be recommended to the public in a shortage when it's not totally clear if they will even on average be protected by it. I'm not equating "masking" with wearing an N95.

Early on my concern was seeing large amounts of level 3 medical masks being stolen from clinics and me thinking "people don't even know how to use those safely."

ETA: I've never tried to say I was right or particularly well informed at the time. My whole point, which seems to be repeatedly ignored, is that often what looks malicious can be often explained by ignorance. I was ignorant. I'm here publicly admitting how and why I was very wrong. That's my entire point, which I'm now regretting trying to even make.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 07:16:04 AM by Metalcat »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2023, 07:10:28 AM »

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;

Canada even concluded in 2019 that what had occurred with respect to First Nations was in fact  state sponsored genocide. PM Trudeau issued a formal statement and apology, and a similar motion was passed by unanimous consent.

I don’t understand why you havent considered this to be genocide when the perpetrators have openly declared it to be so.
Yes, in that definition, sure it is genocide.I havent read the Canadian government’s response.

I winder if Austealia has  done similarly.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2023, 07:19:10 AM »

Yes, in that definition, sure it is genocide.I havent read the Canadian government’s response.

??? That IS the Canadian government's response. This is *coming from* the Canadian government, they're the ones saying it was a genocide. It's not some other organization telling them and then them having to form a response. They are the ones themselves who drew this conclusion and apologized.

I'm literally so confused right now. This thread is a mess.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2023, 07:29:03 AM »

I'm also very confused.  What definition are you using which is substantially different from the UN, or accepted by Canada, or the US Code § 1091 (which all basically say the same thing, i.e. genocide is the specific intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial, or religious group (that is the US code, just to show how complimentary the UN, Canadian and US definitions are))?

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2023, 08:01:13 AM »
I´m a retired pulmonary/critical care physician and have to admit first that I did not follow the antics of DJT and his cast but I do remember hearing something to the effect that a general recommendation of contact precautions but not mask wearing came from the administration at some point.

At this time there was no proof that the threat was airborne but was assumed to be awaiting confirmation. The confirmation came shortly with several well documented cases of airborne spread patterns in the setting of superspreader events.

Could it be that the message, that airborne precautions are used in the clinical setting but that there was no proof yet of airborne transmission, got garbled into health workers need to wear masks but the general population does not need to?

In any case, I do not think that I washed my hands no more than usual and I did not wipe down any more surfaces than usual.

To be fair, I never said that I thought it *wasn't* airborne, and I'm getting a little sick of repeatedly having to explain what I didn't say.

I simply said that there was a lot of emphasis on concerns about contact spread at the time, there was a PPE shortage, even of basic medical masks, and lay people generally don't even know how to use basic medical masks properly.

To be clear, I also never said I didn't think N95s were effective. I said I understood why general masking might not be recommended to the public in a shortage when it's not totally clear if they will even on average be protected by it. I'm not equating "masking" with wearing an N95.

Early on my concern was seeing large amounts of level 3 medical masks being stolen from clinics and me thinking "people don't even know how to use those safely."

ETA: I've never tried to say I was right or particularly well informed at the time. My whole point, which seems to be repeatedly ignored, is that often what looks malicious can be often explained by ignorance. I was ignorant. I'm here publicly admitting how and why I was very wrong. That's my entire point, which I'm now regretting trying to even make.

My post was meant as an answer to TreeLeaf last post not your post.
I also would not have come out at the time arguing for universal N95 masking, even though it was known to us that it was the theoretically best protection.
What is the point in creating even more panic and exacerbating the PPE shortage in the healthcare setting, which would have had dire public health consequences?
This was a case of who gets what, when and where, and how it is going to be sold to the public - that´s politics and politicians need to stick their heads out for that.
Unfortunately, the administration was headed by a dimwitted reality TV star and staffed by a cast of incompetent cowards, leaving Fauci in a role he, not being primarily a politician, really could only partially fill.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 05:58:01 PM by PeteD01 »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2023, 08:01:41 AM »

??? That IS the Canadian government's response. This is *coming from* the Canadian government, they're the ones saying it was a genocide. It's not some other organization telling them and then them having to form a response. They are the ones themselves who drew this conclusion and apologized.

I don’t think this thread  is a mess. It’s representative of how a group of people sit around and shoot the breeze, much like my coffee group. The discussion here has meandered with topics and sub-topics that jump off from previous topics, with sidebar chat and tangents.

I don’t require that a thread stick to the topic of the title. If someone wants to talk about masking and current masking standards exclusively, there’s a lone  thread someone started up that has had zero responses. But I don’t mind that Covid masking issues are discussed here. It’s all good..

Clearly, no one thinks that Jordan Peterson‘s thoughts on climate change are worth discussion, and that is fine. Carry-on!

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2023, 08:06:48 AM »
Clearly, no one thinks that Jordan Peterson‘s thoughts on climate change are worth discussion, and that is fine.

You got that right!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2023, 08:13:24 AM »

I don’t think this thread  is a mess. It’s representative of how a group of people sit around and shoot the breeze, much like my coffee group. The discussion here has meandered with topics and sub-topics that jump off from previous topics, with sidebar chat and tangents.

I don’t require that a thread stick to the topic of the title. If someone wants to talk about masking and current masking standards exclusively, there’s a lone  thread someone started up that has had zero responses. But I don’t mind that Covid masking issues are discussed here. It’s all good..

Clearly, no one thinks that Jordan Peterson‘s thoughts on climate change are worth discussion, and that is fine. Carry-on!

I don't think it's a mess because it's off topic, I think it's a mess because it's a whole lot of responses to things that don't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2023, 08:24:56 AM »
Clearly, no one thinks that Jordan Peterson‘s thoughts on climate change are worth discussion, and that is fine.

You got that right!

This is something we can all agree on.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2023, 08:38:09 AM »

If the Canadian government only came to declare this in the year 2019, that’s just a few years ago. I am  behind than in the politics of a country that is not my own.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2023, 08:50:55 AM »

If the Canadian government only came to declare this in the year 2019, that’s just a few years ago. I am  behind than in the politics of a country that is not my own.

To be fair, you are the one who described yourself as "very aware" of this subject matter. It's a bit confusing to say you're very aware and then say you aren't aware because it's not your country.

Can you not understand why we are all a bit confused??

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2023, 09:20:17 AM »

To be fair, you are the one who described yourself as "very aware" of this subject matter. It's a bit confusing to say you're very aware and then say you aren't aware because it's not your country.

Can you not understand why we are all a bit confused??

Ah! Not “very aware” then. Got it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2023, 09:37:31 AM »

Yes, and... that 2019 date was the final official report from the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (NIMMIW). The inquiry began in 2015, several years after governmental policies towards indigenous peoples come into the public sphere.  in other words, there was little question that the report would call it a genocide, that was already accepted.  The report was noteworthy because it documented the extent, harm and persistence of state-sponsored and state sanctioned abuse. While some of the most heinous evidence didn't come to light until the mid 2010s (mass graves and thousands of missing children), the policies themselves were public and have always been available for those who cared to look.

I point this out because you've claimed to be very aware of what has happened but are somehow dismissive of it as "politics."  This isn't some political discussion, it's facts as laid out and agreed upon by virtually everyone.  It's also not something which has "just' come to light.
FWIW there are some aspects here which are eerily similar to the US treatment of Native Americans in the 20th century.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2023, 10:49:20 AM »

Yes, and... that 2019 date was the final official report from the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (NIMMIW). The inquiry began in 2015, several years after governmental policies towards indigenous peoples come into the public sphere.  in other words, there was little question that the report would call it a genocide, that was already accepted.  The report was noteworthy because it documented the extent, harm and persistence of state-sponsored and state sanctioned abuse. While some of the most heinous evidence didn't come to light until the mid 2010s (mass graves and thousands of missing children), the policies themselves were public and have always been available for those who cared to look.

I point this out because you've claimed to be very aware of what has happened but are somehow dismissive of it as "politics."  This isn't some political discussion, it's facts as laid out and agreed upon by virtually everyone.  It's also not something which has "just' come to light.
FWIW there are some aspects here which are eerily similar to the US treatment of Native Americans in the 20th century.

@nereo, I agree with the bolded part, but would include 19th century and note that related issues carry into the present. There's also the general connection that on some level, recent politics in the US has had to face the nation's genocidal history. I respect Canada for having decisively and publicly acknowledged its history. In the US, issues regarding past and current treatment of Native Americans are absolutely current.

I am currently living in Illinois, a state named for a Native American people that afaik were historically attacked, then viewed as being removed if not exterminated. The state possesses thousands of skeletons of Native Americans due to the tribes being pushed out of the state, the land where the skeletons were being taken as private property through national laws, and then the skeletons being acquired by the state from the "private" landowner. Every step of this occurred because of either a national law (which is politics), or an act that could be viewed as fitting the UN genocide definition, or both, except for possibly the state acquisition. But now the state's possession is a public issue, presumably one with political aspects - especially if you realize that Indian nations are recognized by law in a format that continues to be a matter of political dispute.

On NPR this week there was an hour show discussing how the descendants of those Native Americans deeply want the bones of their ancestors repatriated to the descendants, not held by the state. There is a national law (NAGPRA) that for 30+ years has required state governments to attempt such repatriation. Until 2019 or later, the state's position was that descendants either didn't exist, couldn't be found or their testimony wasn't adequate as evidence, so no specific descendants could be found and therefore the state would keep the bones. Recently the state began a process of trying harder to identify descendants and repatriate the remains; in that attempt, they finally hired two Native Americans to do much of the work. One of them, Logan Pappenfort, was a panelist on the NPR segment.

Here's a ProPublica article with information on the same topic. https://www.wcbu.org/local-news/2023-02-02/the-museum-built-on-native-american-burial-mounds

So USA's still working to recognize and respond to its genocides. Seems like that was politics in the past - substantive politics, where issues are resolved by political means with decisions supposed to be enforced by the government - and will be again. Or at least, is receiving a so far incomplete government response.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 10:57:18 AM by BicycleB »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!