Author Topic: Oprah 2020?  (Read 9400 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Oprah 2020?
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2018, 08:34:20 AM »
Remember when people picked a leader based upon the party platform and ideas that they brought forward . . . rather than name recognition?

Spiritual_Lobotomy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2018, 07:06:52 AM »
Im pulling for Keith Ellison.  Oprah would be a great running mate though.  But we need a Democratic sweep this fall to set everything in motion.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »
Remember when people picked a leader based upon the party platform and ideas that they brought forward . . . rather than name recognition?

When was that?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2018, 08:26:06 AM »

When was that?

Pre-Reagan?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2018, 08:29:11 AM »

When was that?

Pre-Reagan?

So you think John Quincy ran entirely on his own merits? :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2018, 08:06:11 AM »

When was that?

Pre-Reagan?

So you think John Quincy ran entirely on his own merits? :)

Well, he was never accused of winning votes through charisma rather than policy.  :P

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2018, 09:12:41 AM »
Coming from the other side, this is essentially how we got Tr(D)ump.

The mentality was "Anybody else on the ticket, and get somebody else through the primary, but if push comes to shove- Trump is better than any other candidate."

For example:
Ditto. No way I'd vote for [Trump] in the primaries. I'd pick [him] over [Hillary] or [Bernie] in a heartbeat in the general election. If the [Dems] nominated a halfway-sane candidate (e.g., [Schrader], [Ross]) then I would be in a difficult spot, but the modern incarnation of the [Dems] doesn't seem interested in sanity, so I doubt if that will be a problem for me.

I do not like the path our nation is on- even since before Trump. 

Long story short, the reason I'm posting is that we need term limits for Congress.  Our system was designed to be citizen becoming politicians and representing their electorate, not a plutocracy with rulers being groomed and prepared from birth for the political arena.  I think term limits could help drastically with that.

A few other reasons of mine:
1. Increases number of 'new faces', hopefully grabbing a wider selection of canidates.
2. Increases competition for senate seats, and if senate seats are also given term limits, increases competition for the presidency from actual representatives.  If 30+ reps are "timing out" of congress, there are a lot more names up in the air for Senate and Presidency.
3. Reduces lobbying and campaign contribution's "effectiveness".  Who gives a shit about contributions if you can only get re-elected once or twice...
4. Hopefully causes less of the representative - lobbyist - representative cycle.  Term limits need to be lifetime based, not consecutive terms based.

I know its a tangent but I really think this is something we need...
three-quarters of Americans say that, given the opportunity, they would vote "for" term limits for members of both houses of Congress.
http://news.gallup.com/poll/159881/americans-call-term-limits-end-electoral-college.aspx

This is not somewhere I want our nation to go....

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2018, 08:22:53 PM »
I think you make a lot of good points TexasRunner.