Author Topic: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It  (Read 179135 times)

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
Re: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It
« Reply #500 on: March 10, 2020, 06:29:36 PM »
Love this thread. So much. How is it I am only now discovering it?! I've got my popcorn ready and can't wait for more.

I have a story. I observed somewhere on the social internet a person asking if anyone could help with meals/food as OP wasn't sure how to pay for food. There was much concern and an outpouring of support and people legit wanted to keep OP from literal starvation. A few days later, OP shared to the same audience a photo of two "buy one/get one free" alcoholic beverages that OP purchased to accompany a restaurant meal. OP's connections were flabbergasted about the obviously discretionary drinks and restaurant meal so soon after pleading poverty and accepting generosity. Some expressed they felt taken advantage of. OP mounted an intense self-defense and simply did not comprehend why people where upset.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #501 on: March 12, 2020, 08:51:54 AM »
God, she was hard-up for money and had a chance to buy something for 50% off? Why wouldn't people be applauding her good sense?

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: March 12, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »
God, she was hard-up for money and had a chance to buy something for 50% off? Why wouldn't people be applauding her good sense?

Maybe the fore-mentioned step-grandmother up thread whose entire LIFE has been usurped by a little tiny baby could take pity on this poor woman and invite her to her all day birthday brunch? Plenty of frittata and mimosas to go around.

And personally, I think Prudence's response was weak at best on that one. She usually doesn't suffer such fools gladly.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #503 on: March 16, 2020, 07:57:29 AM »
Why even be Prudence if you cannot treat idiots like that one with at least some gentleness.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #504 on: March 18, 2020, 01:56:20 AM »

It was exactly 1 week ago I last saw TP in the store, and it was fairly plentiful at the time.  I didn't need any, but I went ahead and bought extra because I heard of shortages elsewhere.  So, I now have 300 rolls (regular equivalent). 

It was exactly 2 weeks ago I last saw hand sanitizer in the store.  I bought two large bottles of it.  I wish I had bought a couple more.

A forumite(!) contributing to the grocery shortage by buying a years worth of toilet paper or more.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #505 on: March 23, 2020, 02:42:54 PM »
We're mustachians. Buying in bulk when we sense it's a good deal is what we do.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #506 on: March 23, 2020, 03:12:10 PM »
There is no good price for something you do not need.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #507 on: March 24, 2020, 02:24:48 AM »
There is a high price for buying something you don't need while depriving people in need.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #508 on: April 02, 2020, 12:08:26 PM »
Legit.

I've seen those posts asking for people who are financially secure to stay out of stores on 4/1-4/3 as the SNAP and WIC credits come in for people who are in need. My FiL insisted he had to have some stuff, so my wife went shopping for him. I decided to just bite my tongue because I'm pretty sure FiL would go to Wal-Mart on his own if this didn't happen, so at least my wife kept him out of circulation.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #509 on: April 02, 2020, 12:35:21 PM »
Legit.

I've seen those posts asking for people who are financially secure to stay out of stores on 4/1-4/3 as the SNAP and WIC credits come in for people who are in need. My FiL insisted he had to have some stuff, so my wife went shopping for him. I decided to just bite my tongue because I'm pretty sure FiL would go to Wal-Mart on his own if this didn't happen, so at least my wife kept him out of circulation.

The thing is, that isn't necessarily true. In Texas, SNAP benefits are spread out over the first half of the month. Texas WIC doesn't include that in their FAQs.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: April 02, 2020, 12:38:28 PM »
Legit.

I have also seen that, and while it's clearly well-intentioned, it is ill-informed. In my state, for example, WIC and SNAP benefits are paid out on the 4th-13th of the month depending on the last digit of the account number, so waiting until the 4th to start shopping is actually making SNAP/WIC beneficiaries worse off here. Other states have it on a continuous rolling basis. It's all state-based, so some social media post from who knows where is not helpful unless it references a state.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #512 on: April 02, 2020, 02:23:01 PM »
Timelines by state:
https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/snap/Monthly-Issuance-Schedule-All-States.pdf
Thanks for that - I have worked for more than 12 years with the WIC program as an IT contractor, so I know a ton about the intricacies of how benefits work for that one. Many WIC participants are also on SNAP, but I haven't had a reason to know nearly as much detail on that one.

There is another one going around saying "look for the WIC sticker on the shelf and buy something else". That one is pretty much true, although not every grocery store everywhere does that. And of course, each state may have somewhat different rules.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #513 on: April 02, 2020, 03:22:11 PM »
Legit.

I have also seen that, and while it's clearly well-intentioned, it is ill-informed. In my state, for example, WIC and SNAP benefits are paid out on the 4th-13th of the month depending on the last digit of the account number, so waiting until the 4th to start shopping is actually making SNAP/WIC beneficiaries worse off here. Other states have it on a continuous rolling basis. It's all state-based, so some social media post from who knows where is not helpful unless it references a state.

Yep. Even before COVID-19, I tried to shop on even-numbered days when possible because SNAP benefits are issued on odd-numbered days. May as well plan to avoid the crowds.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #514 on: April 02, 2020, 04:02:20 PM »
Timelines by state:
https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/snap/Monthly-Issuance-Schedule-All-States.pdf

Excellent. No worries about my needed shopping trip today or tomorrow (first in 2 weeks!) - benefits start going out starting the 5th in my state. My list isn't that long though, so I'm probably not the person they worry about.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #515 on: April 14, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »
Another Prudie sighting! Skip down to "Roommate’s showers are driving me crazy."

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/04/dear-prudence-offensive-jokes-rape-boyfriend-relationships-advice.html

Synopsis: My roommate is in the shower way too much. He takes 35 minute showers! He showers EVERY DAY! What's more, since the  pandemic began, he's been showering TWICE A DAY, including when he gets home from his job at the hospital full of COVID-19 victims. I can't take it any more now that I'm sequestered at home and he's showering at me all the time.

Commentary: Prudie somehow doesn't see it either and is surprisingly gentle with this idiot. She advises trying to respectfully talk the roommate down to 15 minute showers. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who works on the front lines of COVID-19 can shower as much and for as long as they want. Take a bath for all I care; I'll even scrub the tub for you. 

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #516 on: April 14, 2020, 08:33:03 PM »
Another Prudie sighting! Skip down to "Roommate’s showers are driving me crazy."

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/04/dear-prudence-offensive-jokes-rape-boyfriend-relationships-advice.html

Synopsis: My roommate is in the shower way too much. He takes 35 minute showers! He showers EVERY DAY! What's more, since the  pandemic began, he's been showering TWICE A DAY, including when he gets home from his job at the hospital full of COVID-19 victims. I can't take it any more now that I'm sequestered at home and he's showering at me all the time.

Commentary: Prudie somehow doesn't see it either and is surprisingly gentle with this idiot. She advises trying to respectfully talk the roommate down to 15 minute showers. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who works on the front lines of COVID-19 can shower as much and for as long as they want. Take a bath for all I care; I'll even scrub the tub for you.

I wonder what LW's real issues were. Too much bathroom time? Water usage if they're in a drought area? The power  bill? Or just a controlling bitch. Agree with  you: right  now is not the time to pick fights with health care workers. And big  picture, LW should seek non-room mate living options once this is all over.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #517 on: April 15, 2020, 08:08:39 AM »
Yeah - from reading that there are at least 4 people in that house/apartment "discussed with other roommates". So you have OP, long-shower-taker, and plural other roommates. If it is a one-bathroom situation, taking 30+ minute showers is rude even in normal times. Could really be about the water bill or just using all the hot water. Maybe for some reason their water is really loud. Worried about the environment. I can think of lots of valid reasons for this to be an issue.

Of course OP didn't give any reason for the complaint - just states it is a problem.

I am with the @acepedro45  though - if you're working in a hospital right now and you live in my house, I'm not complaining about anything. Certainly not long showers.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #518 on: May 02, 2020, 07:21:14 AM »
I don't mean to be presumptuous but...…..

I feel safe in saying this might be the best one of these on this thread so far.

It would be bad enough if in isolation: super elitist sounding woman who not only can't see she's wrong but is pretty much literally the person she is decrying that she is angry about in terms of not understanding or getting outside of their bubble. It only comes through more so in her complaints on others' comments calling her out.

However, to take the cake - this lady who's whole article is super complainy and is calling people out for their "privilege" in her comments

Her last name is White

And her first name......is Caren

https://medium.com/@carenawhite/why-you-need-to-stop-baking-bread-cf6b77bd7c56

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #519 on: May 02, 2020, 09:41:47 AM »

I feel safe in saying this might be the best one of these on this thread so far.

It would be bad enough if in isolation: super elitist sounding woman who not only can't see she's wrong but is pretty much literally the person she is decrying that she is angry about in terms of not understanding or getting outside of their bubble. It only comes through more so in her complaints on others' comments calling her out.

However, to take the cake - this lady who's whole article is super complainy and is calling people out for their "privilege" in her comments

Her last name is White

I think she has a narrative in her head that the shortage is entirely caused by people baking for fun and hoarding and if that were the case, maybe she'd have a point, but reality is much more complicated than that. People are buying more everything because they're not eating out, flour keeps longer than bread which means less trips to the store, and people who've always liked to bake have more time do so now. I'm sure there are other factors involved as well.

Oh and she wrote this right before her flour article:

https://midcenturymodernmag.com/how-i-became-a-pandemic-hoarder-a30ba5a8dc38

Where she admitted that she was guilty of hoarding other products. C'mon Caren.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #520 on: May 02, 2020, 09:50:21 AM »

Her last name is White

I think she has a narrative in her head that the shortage is entirely caused by people baking for fun and hoarding and if that were the case, maybe she'd have a point, but reality is much more complicated than that. People are buying more everything because they're not eating out, flour keeps longer than bread which means less trips to the store, and people who've always liked to bake have more time do so now. I'm sure there are other factors involved as well.

Oh and she wrote this right before her flour article:

https://midcenturymodernmag.com/how-i-became-a-pandemic-hoarder-a30ba5a8dc38

Where she admitted that she was guilty of hoarding other products. C'mon Caren.

Lol! I should have done my research, that's amazing! It's clear she has a narrative in her head of something, and maybe it is that everyone else is just wasting it. She doesn't say that directly at all, though. I mean, I just can't see any way of boiling it down any better with what she actually wrote than:

I baked bread first! Therefore I'm the only one that really deserves to have it! Everyone else is just being selfish, keeping me from being able to bake bread, which, I deserve to be able to make because, did I mention, I was doing it first! *insert crying emoji* lol

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #521 on: May 02, 2020, 10:41:17 AM »
I call bull. Real home bakers (like me) have 50+ lbs of bread flour ($7 at Costco, no joke) in their pantry in food-grade containers and 2 lb containers of yeast ($5 at the restaurant supply store) in the freezer at all times. That's the most economical way to buy baking supplies: duh. I've actually felt a bit sorry for all the noobs wanting to get into baking because they finally have time and then finding those hilariously overpriced little packets of Fleischman's sold out.

I mean, if you want only organic flour, then yeah I can't help you. Sourdough? That would help with the yeast issue. Actually I have a cornucopia of wacky flours in my freezer, too, because sometimes I like to get creative with my bread. But the massive quantities of AP and bread flour are my staples. I do a LOT of baking. But in my opinion, anyone who wants to bake is welcome to flour! Baking is fun and cheap and everyone should do it!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #522 on: May 02, 2020, 10:53:20 AM »
What a moron. "Because I have high food standards even though I am poor, no one else is allowed to start having the same hobbies as me." "Because rich people understand supply chains, they are not allowed to act on game theory." She just wants to be special.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #523 on: May 02, 2020, 01:41:07 PM »
What a moron. "Because I have high food standards even though I am poor, no one else is allowed to start having the same hobbies as me." "Because rich people understand supply chains, they are not allowed to act on game theory." She just wants to be special.

In the earlier pandemic article she talks about filling up her cart with a ton of meat.  So she most likely isn't THAT poor.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #524 on: May 02, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »

Her last name is White

Good lord. She claims to be a master gardener, so I wonder if the next article will whine about people who bought all the seeds (because they actually read the news and learned about the potential food shortages).

Also, if you bake all of your own baked goods, wouldn’t you plan for that and shop in bulk?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 02:45:31 PM by OtherJen »

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #525 on: May 02, 2020, 04:09:49 PM »

Her last name is White

the article seems to have been deleted

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #526 on: May 02, 2020, 05:23:17 PM »

Her last name is White

LMAO! I mean, she got dragged so hard on basically every corner of the internet, I’m not surprised.

I agree, @Wolfpack Mustachian . This post wins the thread, hands down.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #527 on: May 02, 2020, 06:12:59 PM »

Her last name is White

LMAO! I mean, she got dragged so hard on basically every corner of the internet, I’m not surprised.

You can always try the internet wayback machine.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #528 on: May 02, 2020, 06:54:16 PM »

Her last name is White

You can always try the internet wayback machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200502192533/https://medium.com/@carenawhite/why-you-need-to-stop-baking-bread-cf6b77bd7c56

^LOVE the wayback machine. They are awesome.

I feel sorry for her. She's obviously clueless about her own privilege, and she did get slammed HARD enough to take down her entire profile. That is scary and sad; being kind of scared about being chased down and taunted all over the internet is scary even if she did do something dumb. Not that she didn't deserve to be taken down a peg, but still. Eating crow is not as tasty as freshly baked, organic bread.

Did y'all catch the rebuttal?

https://medium.com/@tburgess57/why-you-need-to-start-baking-bread-549f61459f80

Love that. Great encouragement and he didn't even touch on the Caren whinefest that was taken down - just "you can do this and it's good and you can eat the evidence if it doesn't turn out perfectly anyway."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:21:17 PM by Frankies Girl »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #529 on: May 03, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »
Wow. that rebuttal article kinda makes me want to .... bake bread.

I have flour, water, salt. But no yeast. Baking soda/powder, yes, depending on quantity needed. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #530 on: May 03, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »
I thought the initial Caren White article was tone deaf but no better or worse than most of the user-submitted content I see on websites. I've seen MMM posts about the pandemic that were far more tone-deaf.

ministashy

• Stubble
« Reply #531 on: May 05, 2020, 12:10:41 AM »

I have flour, water, salt. But no yeast. Baking soda/powder, yes, depending on quantity needed. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't.

If you can get your hands on even a little bit of yeast, I highly recommend Mark Bittman's no-knead bread recipe--it only uses a 1/4 teaspoon yeast for each loaf.  No lie.  I actually had to have my mother send me some yeast via USPS (I had a jar in the freezer, but I only bake intermittently and didn't realize I was down to the dregs until all the stores were sold out), but the packets she sent me will last a loooong time with that recipe.

I also tried starting my own sourdough starter, but that failed miserably.  So back to commercial yeast I go!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #532 on: May 05, 2020, 06:25:04 AM »

If you can get your hands on even a little bit of yeast, I highly recommend Mark Bittman's no-knead bread recipe--it only uses a 1/4 teaspoon yeast for each loaf.  No lie.  I actually had to have my mother send me some yeast via USPS (I had a jar in the freezer, but I only bake intermittently and didn't realize I was down to the dregs until all the stores were sold out), but the packets she sent me will last a loooong time with that recipe.

I also tried starting my own sourdough starter, but that failed miserably.  So back to commercial yeast I go!

When I realized I was running low, I started a faux-sourdough starter, seeding it with 1/4 tsp of commercial yeast from my jar.  It didn't develop the tangy sourdough flavor for nearly 4 weeks, but made perfectly good bread in the meantime.  I also feed it almost every day, since we eat it as fast as I can bake it, so I want to keep it very active - probably contributed to keeping the commercial yeast dominant over the wild yeasts for so long.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #533 on: June 18, 2020, 11:24:51 AM »
Update on previous post today at AskAManager:

Update:
https://www.askamanager.org/2020/06/update-im-in-trouble-for-re-sorting-a-coworkers-trash-and-im-enraged.html

Original:
https://www.askamanager.org/2019/06/im-in-trouble-for-re-sorting-a-coworkers-trash-and-im-enraged.html

Really hope the OP in that case gets some help with what looks to me like a mental health issue.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #534 on: June 18, 2020, 11:28:18 AM »
Update on previous post today at AskAManager:

Update:
https://www.askamanager.org/2020/06/update-im-in-trouble-for-re-sorting-a-coworkers-trash-and-im-enraged.html

Original:
https://www.askamanager.org/2019/06/im-in-trouble-for-re-sorting-a-coworkers-trash-and-im-enraged.html

Really hope the OP in that case gets some help with what looks to me like a mental health issue.

I came here to post this! Possibly one of the least sane people I've ever seen on that column.

OP has a weird obsession with how coworkers sort their trash, digs through trash to "re-sort" it and then displays it in the kitchen so everyone will see. Does this for YEARS. After HR finally figured out this behavior was disturbing people, OP responds by trying to get their company in legal trouble with the city, gives up on interaction with coworkers. Everyone else is the problem, OP is "just trying to protect our environment."

AND despite being a software engineer, they claim to make little above minimum wage and say they are pulling from savings every month to pay bills. I know this is MMM, but I am very confident that money is not the problem here.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #535 on: July 01, 2020, 10:52:52 AM »
Utter gem from Ask A Manager today: My boss asked me to reflect on my conflicts with coworkers and I don’t want to

Spoiler: OP refers to their ACTUAL BOSS as "bossy".

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #536 on: July 01, 2020, 11:13:30 AM »
Utter gem from Ask A Manager today: My boss asked me to reflect on my conflicts with coworkers and I don’t want to

"my supervisor is an associate professor. Her husband is a professor and a director of the research group (and that’s how she easily got her position)"

OH HECK NO

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #537 on: July 01, 2020, 11:17:04 AM »

Hahah!

“You have a problem with conflict”
“ WRONG!”

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #538 on: July 01, 2020, 12:16:48 PM »

"my supervisor is an associate professor. Her husband is a professor and a director of the research group (and that’s how she easily got her position)"

OH HECK NO

I mean, in fairness, spousal hires are more common in academia and can be problematic, but the competitiveness of academia generally means that the spousal hire is qualified for their position, just maybe not THE MOST qualified.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #539 on: July 01, 2020, 12:39:40 PM »

Hahah!

“ WRONG!”

I saw that one and thought it was a prime candidate for this thread.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #540 on: July 01, 2020, 02:34:51 PM »

Hahah!

“ WRONG!”

Lol. 5-star summary right there.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #541 on: July 01, 2020, 04:32:00 PM »

OH HECK NO

I mean, in fairness, spousal hires are more common in academia and can be problematic, but the competitiveness of academia generally means that the spousal hire is qualified for their position, just maybe not THE MOST qualified.
I've seen this.  I worked with a lot of grad students for awhile.  It's hard when you've got two top students in the same research group graduate at the same time, both looking for professorships.  It seems to have worked out for two of the couples that I know.  Two are profs at a UC (but it did take a lot of negotiation...you have to take BOTH), and two are at an Ivy.

I actually know a woman who was a tenured prof at Berkeley who moved to a different university so her husband could get his dream job.  That's dedication, I tell you.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #542 on: July 06, 2020, 09:31:40 AM »
Reminder: we only observe the couples who are successfully staying married and staying in the academy. We don't observe:

• The stresses of early years child-rearing make equitable progress down the scholarship path possible
  • Divorces
  • Financial pressure within the family causing one of them to take a non-academic job with its pay-premium

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #543 on: July 06, 2020, 05:40:50 PM »
I call bull. Real home bakers (like me) have 50+ lbs of bread flour ($7 at Costco, no joke) in their pantry in food-grade containers and 2 lb containers of yeast ($5 at the restaurant supply store) in the freezer at all times. That's the most economical way to buy baking supplies: duh. I've actually felt a bit sorry for all the noobs wanting to get into baking because they finally have time and then finding those hilariously overpriced little packets of Fleischman's sold out.

I mean, if you want only organic flour, then yeah I can't help you. Sourdough? That would help with the yeast issue. Actually I have a cornucopia of wacky flours in my freezer, too, because sometimes I like to get creative with my bread. But the massive quantities of AP and bread flour are my staples. I do a LOT of baking. But in my opinion, anyone who wants to bake is welcome to flour! Baking is fun and cheap and everyone should do it!

Our Costco stopped selling bread flour 2 years ago (there are like 15 types of rice though). Apparently we were the only ones buying it, because it was a tragedy when we found that out.  And our year's supply of yeast gets repurchased in May.  The pandemic has greatly changed our baking- but we haven't bought bread of any type in maybe 10 years.

It has been nearly impossible to find bread flour or yeast.  Still.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #544 on: July 06, 2020, 06:01:26 PM »

Our Costco stopped selling bread flour 2 years ago (there are like 15 types of rice though). Apparently we were the only ones buying it, because it was a tragedy when we found that out.  And our year's supply of yeast gets repurchased in May.  The pandemic has greatly changed our baking- but we haven't bought bread of any type in maybe 10 years.

No bread flour at Costco!? I'm so sorry. Have you tried a restaurant supply store? That's our alternative source.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #545 on: July 06, 2020, 06:15:33 PM »

Pretty sure you can buy it at King Arthur, though there might be a delay in shipment. For a long time they were not even allowing you to put it in a cart!

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #546 on: July 07, 2020, 11:07:52 AM »
I JUST discovered this thread! Oh my what a treasure.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #547 on: July 13, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #548 on: July 13, 2020, 11:57:14 AM »
You wonder about the authenticity of a letter being so tone-deaf.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #549 on: July 13, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »
You wonder about the authenticity of a letter being so tone-deaf.

I mean yes, but we also have people who sincerely believe that children can't catch covid, wearing a mask will suffocate them/will make them sick, the earth is flat, etc.

I've pretty much decided that even if a particular post or comment online is trolling, there are people who actually think it. I fully believe that there are that many people who are that tone-deaf.