Author Topic: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It  (Read 179127 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It
« Reply #400 on: March 19, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »

I always thought that about Demi Moore and Bruce Willis.  The brood didn’t quite catch all the gorgeousness.

Well that pairing only had one set of gorgeous genes.  Now if she had married Richard Gere . . . .

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #401 on: March 19, 2018, 06:02:48 PM »

I always thought that about Demi Moore and Bruce Willis.  The brood didn’t quite catch all the gorgeousness.

Well that pairing only had one set of gorgeous genes.  Now if she had married Richard Gere . . . .
Or Paul Newman...
Whoops, I got the wrong handsome guy. I meant Robert Redford, because I was thinking about the movie they made together. Indecent Proposal??

Willis has his charms, but he is not classically handsome. He's got a certain something, no mistake about it, but my money's on Butch and/or Sundance for the gene pool lottery.

OTOH, I'm not going so far as to dispute the attractiveness of anybody's real-life children. This conversation was about the unpredictability of the gene pool.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:49:15 PM by Dicey »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #402 on: March 19, 2018, 09:32:30 PM »
Bruce Willis is in my top 3 sexy=attractive actors in Lala Land. What is wrong with you people.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #403 on: March 20, 2018, 01:15:57 AM »
Bruce Willis is in my top 3 sexy=attractive actors in Lala Land. What is wrong with you people.

+1, but he is hot in a very different way to Demi Moore. I can't see their respective hotnesses amplifying each other, maybe they cancel each other out like waveforms.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: March 22, 2018, 11:22:23 AM »
I'm glad you posted this. I really wanted to but didn't have the nerve. Totally belongs here.

2. Repeated assertions about her own awesomeness

Oh, + fucking 1.

I've read journals on here with fewer personal pronouns.

Yes, I'm 40 and I have been in perfect shape and health my entire life - in the gym all the time, eating only healthy stuff, always watching my lifestyle. So, I look and feel 30 - inside and out and better than many 25-year olds. I get a lot of dates but I'm picky because I worked hard for everything in my life. Could I just have any man that comes into my life, actually YES - I have many of those options but for what? -Just to have a mediocre sperm donor that's lukewarm about how he feels about me, isn't super healthy, mediocre looks and finances, and also looking for a second mother - NO THANKS! I have friends that have those kinds of men in their life - no thanks!  This may sound selfish, yet again but here it is: - I look great and I will say life is easier as a beautiful person. I want a gorgeous child and I get to choose that. With money, I can do enough on my own without a deadbeat man-child around. I don't have the time and energy to raise a 40+ year old man that never wants to grow up. ... anyway... thank you for your input. The experience on this forum has been quite eye-opening and terrifying as to how evil some people can be.

And I am the most caring, kind person I know (I know it may not look that way from these posts but I am), so many of my local and out-of-state friends offered to help and that's so heartwarming.

As I said, I am an immigrant who started at negative in a brand new country and English isn't my native language, but I do speak 3 other ones - two of them fluently...

Of course I will survive - I'm the strongest person I know, I am a fighter and I have full confidence in my health and ability to get a well=paying job and hold it down.

If she is so convinced of her own awesomeness at absolutely everything, why is she on here asking for our permission, then casting aspersions when she doesn't get it?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #405 on: March 26, 2018, 03:59:11 PM »

As it is, the genetics of looks is not all that assured; we all know fabulously sensational movie-star couples that somehow fail to produce offspring that are 11 on the Celestial Beauty Scale.

It's because they won't do nose jobs, tummy tucks, or hair transplants on an infant. Reconstructive surgery yes, but not the movie star kind.

If you look at all the leading actresses you'll notice that there are just one or two noses. It's terrifying, like they all share the same sinuses or something.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #406 on: March 26, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »
Yeah. I've joked before I could work as an actor in great Britain, but not the usa (my nose is too big).

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #407 on: March 27, 2018, 01:42:48 PM »
Captain Awkward:  LW is chasing after a friendship he lost 14 years ago and still thinks he's entitled to a "valid explanation."

https://captainawkward.com/2018/03/26/1092-my-best-friend-dumped-me-years-ago-and-it-still-hurts/

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #408 on: March 27, 2018, 02:02:07 PM »
This thread is full of gems, I have chortled many times at the entries here. Sadly I have nothing to offer yet, but I will keep my eyes peeled for good 'uns.

tl;dr: PTF.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #409 on: March 28, 2018, 07:06:39 AM »
Captain Awkward:  LW is chasing after a friendship he lost 14 years ago and still thinks he's entitled to a "valid explanation."

https://captainawkward.com/2018/03/26/1092-my-best-friend-dumped-me-years-ago-and-it-still-hurts/

LW is being a dick, but it's also a pretty sad story.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: March 29, 2018, 02:56:16 AM »
This is not your normal 'OP is the only one who doesn't see it', but I thought it would be of  interest to this crowd.

How can I stop resenting my friend who doesn’t have to work?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: March 29, 2018, 06:07:32 AM »
This is not your normal 'OP is the only one who doesn't see it', but I thought it would be of  interest to this crowd.

Something got messy in your link: http://askamanager.org/2018/03/how-can-i-stop-resenting-my-friend-who-doesnt-have-to-work.html

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: March 29, 2018, 08:22:51 AM »

I feel like the friend here is pretty insensitive to the writer's time.  Even if you ER (which this person hasn't), you have to accept that people need to or want to work.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #413 on: March 29, 2018, 08:32:32 AM »
Idk. In my mind a text message is something that you send when you want to and the recipient opens and reads when they want to. I look at text messages at lunch and when I leave, no other times, so if I got one midafternoon it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #414 on: March 29, 2018, 09:05:14 AM »
Idk. In my mind a text message is something that you send when you want to and the recipient opens and reads when they want to. I look at text messages at lunch and when I leave, no other times, so if I got one midafternoon it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Yeah, I don't really understand the people who get all bent out of shape over sending/receiving time-sensitive text messages. If I have something urgent, I'm not going to use text. If you text me, I'm assuming it isn't urgent.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: March 30, 2018, 06:21:21 AM »

Yeah, I don't really understand the people who get all bent out of shape over sending/receiving time-sensitive text messages. If I have something urgent, I'm not going to use text. If you text me, I'm assuming it isn't urgent.
It may depend on people's specific work environment.  If someone has access to their phone, but doesn't use personal email at work, they may use text messages to communicate with their spouse.  Some schools also communicate with parents by text now.  Depending on the work place, text could become a critical path.

It would also be irritating to get off work and have a dozen texts from your friend who's been goofing around all day.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #416 on: March 30, 2018, 07:04:40 AM »
I wouldn’t find that irritating at all.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #417 on: March 30, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »
...or if someone has a single phone for work and personal use. I rarely get work text messages, but always assume that a phone call is either a personal emergency or work-related. Someone ringing up for a chat every day would tick me off, as would a deluge of personal text messages every day, because while I can ignore any individual call or message I can't just turn my phone off or ignore it completely.

That said, I thought Alison's advice to take a chill pill and use your words was pretty good.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: March 30, 2018, 08:37:01 AM »
It would also be irritating to get off work and have a dozen texts from your friend who's been goofing around all day.

Do not disturb on specific people FTW! And group messages. Holy shit the group messages.

avalanchecity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #419 on: April 05, 2018, 07:40:40 AM »
love this thread! ptf

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #420 on: April 09, 2018, 12:37:24 PM »
http://www.askamanager.org/2018/04/im-frustrated-that-my-employee-didnt-want-the-post-baby-flexibility-i-arranged-for-her.html

TL;DR boss tries to be nice and arrange maternity leave and pumping space for employee with new baby, but doesn't ask employee what she actually wants first and then gets super judgey and offended about employee's personal choices.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #421 on: April 09, 2018, 02:06:26 PM »
https://www.removeddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8825e8/threw_an_employee_a_baby_shower_now_being/

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/89wgwm/tricked_into_eating_something_i_dont_eat_at_work/

Manager insists on throwing a baby shower for a Jewish employee whose faith does not celebrate babies before their birth, wonders if she can fire her for getting upset about it.  The internet finds the employee's own reddit thread asking if she has a case for discrimination with details that include being reprimanded for covering her hair, being told that something was kosher when it wasn't, etc.

tl; dr: terrible manager, all sympathy for the employee.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #422 on: April 09, 2018, 02:19:46 PM »
https://www.removeddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8825e8/threw_an_employee_a_baby_shower_now_being/

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/89wgwm/tricked_into_eating_something_i_dont_eat_at_work/

Manager insists on throwing a baby shower for a Jewish employee whose faith does not celebrate babies before their birth, wonders if she can fire her for getting upset about it.  The internet finds the employee's own reddit thread asking if she has a case for discrimination with details that include being reprimanded for covering her hair, being told that something was kosher when it wasn't, etc.

Good heavens, I hope that employee got a lawyer and sued their asses off for a hostile work environment.  If that pattern of posts doesn't scream religious discrimination, I don't know what does.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #423 on: April 09, 2018, 02:34:56 PM »

OMFG! Sounds like someone made a pie crust with pork lard, lied about it, and fed it to an Orthodox Jew at their surprise work baby shower (which Orthodox Jews don't do as they feel it is bad luck for the baby) as some kind of nasty prank... what horrible, horrible people :-(  And you just know they think they're "God fearing Christians" who are assured a spot in heaven. Ugh. I've never wanted a reddit account until this moment, because I so want to say something nice to that poor woman.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:38:28 PM by Dollar Slice »

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #424 on: April 09, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »
But they were just being *nice*!

I really hope she was able to sue. Poor lady, as if working full time and being pregnant isn't stressful enough!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #425 on: April 09, 2018, 04:54:08 PM »

OMFG! Sounds like someone made a pie crust with pork lard, lied about it, and fed it to an Orthodox Jew at their surprise work baby shower (which Orthodox Jews don't do as they feel it is bad luck for the baby) as some kind of nasty prank... what horrible, horrible people :-(  And you just know they think they're "God fearing Christians" who are assured a spot in heaven. Ugh. I've never wanted a reddit account until this moment, because I so want to say something nice to that poor woman.

Holy shit! This is so, so, bad.  I do hope the woman captured the info, gets a lawyer, and sues. That “manager” is just lead bully in a hostile work place. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #426 on: April 09, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »

Holy shit! This is so, so, bad.  I do hope the woman captured the info, gets a lawyer, and sues. That “manager” is just lead bully in a hostile work place.

I actually decided to send the link to the Anti-Defamation League in case they could help her with legal advice/a friendly lawyer. No one should have to deal with that kind of thing ever, let alone when they are extremely pregnant and have way better things to do with their time and energy.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #427 on: April 10, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »

I actually decided to send the link to the Anti-Defamation League in case they could help her with legal advice/a friendly lawyer. No one should have to deal with that kind of thing ever, let alone when they are extremely pregnant and have way better things to do with their time and energy.
There's a link in the 2nd thread that has all the comments from the first:
https://www.ceddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8825e8/threw_an_employee_a_baby_shower_now_being/

Manager never changed her tone, I'm guessing their HR found out about it and made her delete everything.  Just a reminder - nothing on the internet goes away. 

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #428 on: April 10, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
W-O-W that woman is TERRIBLE.

squirrel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #429 on: July 19, 2018, 01:11:04 PM »
Spotted on MSE: someone has a "massage business" run from their home... but its not breaking tenancy agreement because they've watched Law and Order!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5869962

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #430 on: July 19, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »
Spotted on MSE: someone has a "massage business" run from their home... but its not breaking tenancy agreement because they've watched Law and Order!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5869962

OP sort of comes around on this one but is pretty oblivious. After finally admitting they were in fact running a business from their rental:
Ok I suppose technically I am but again if a tree falls down in the forest and nobody hears or sees it does the tree truly fall down?

Can't even get the saying right... yes, the tree did in fact fall down.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #431 on: July 20, 2018, 09:47:12 AM »

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #432 on: July 20, 2018, 10:35:45 AM »
This thread is AMAZING.

(in other words, PTF.  *dodges flames*)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #433 on: July 21, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »
https://www.askamanager.org/2018/07/organizing-an-all-men-beach-weekend-for-coworkers-is-gossip-beneficial-at-work-and-more.html

#1. So much #1. I really hope this guy had the lightbulb go off.

Don't forget to search the comments for "Beach Poster" to hear the OP's reaction to the advice and everyone else's comments.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #434 on: July 21, 2018, 07:40:52 PM »
https://www.askamanager.org/2018/07/organizing-an-all-men-beach-weekend-for-coworkers-is-gossip-beneficial-at-work-and-more.html

Don't forget to search the comments for "Beach Poster" to hear the OP's reaction to the advice and everyone else's comments.

Well, that took care of my free evening.  Yipes.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #435 on: July 22, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »

I hadn't seen that, thanks. And OMG. I really hope at some point he gets some empathy.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #436 on: July 25, 2018, 02:17:44 PM »
posting-to-follow.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #437 on: October 09, 2018, 10:31:26 AM »
I thought this one should be added to the list:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/statistics-update/

I think this one also has the benefit of the OP finally getting it, and then attempting to make right.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #438 on: October 09, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »

I think this one also has the benefit of the OP finally getting it, and then attempting to make right.
Well that's 10 minutes of my life I won't get back.

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #439 on: October 09, 2018, 09:35:45 PM »

Well that's 10 minutes of my life I won't get back.
Spend 2 more minutes here.  That post was the peak of the not-seeing-it.
Not so much because of not getting the math right, but the bombast.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #440 on: October 10, 2018, 09:30:39 AM »
A few months ago, I started to awaken to the fact that most people believe things that are lunatic-level batshit crazy. Somehow, we've created a world in which we get by anyway. I drive to work (sorry), thinking about how I don't live in a reality that even approaches something that much of our society perceives to be reality.

The true art is that 40 million people aren't protesting and burning stuff. I think these fantasy beliefs are a big part of the reason.

And yet, despite all odds, I'm somehow the only person who adequately and accurately comprehends reality.

UK Dancer

• Stubble
« Reply #441 on: October 17, 2018, 03:38:58 AM »

That epiphany though! Credit to him for actually acknowledging he was wrong and here's hoping he's more able to recognise the feedback in future...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #442 on: October 17, 2018, 08:33:26 AM »
The thing about that thread is that OP specifically sought after an expert in Bayesian statistics, when the problem is one that undergrads in any statistics-based field study. Many frequentist statisticians would have been perfectly capable of helping OP.

And if you're too far removed from the Bayesian-frequentist war that is tearing academics apart, you're missing a ton* of drama.

*plus or minus 300 kilograms

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: October 17, 2018, 08:39:03 AM »
A few months ago, I started to awaken to the fact that most people believe things that are lunatic-level batshit crazy. Somehow, we've created a world in which we get by anyway. I drive to work (sorry), thinking about how I don't live in a reality that even approaches something that much of our society perceives to be reality.

The true art is that 40 million people aren't protesting and burning stuff. I think these fantasy beliefs are a big part of the reason.

And yet, despite all odds, I'm somehow the only person who adequately and accurately comprehends reality.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #444 on: December 13, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »
OP was the only who didn't see it...and even after being called out, is still the only one:

https://www.askamanager.org/2018/12/updates-the-insulting-gift-the-employee-born-on-leap-day-and-more.html

Synopsis: My company gives a birthday linked fringe benefit: a day off, a gift card and cake. Each employee gets this treatment on their birthday of the workday following his/her birthday. One employee, who was born on leap day, and thus is only entitled to the benefit once every 4 years, had the temerity to complain that she was not treated equally. This special snowflake feels "excluded" by a clear written policy.

Can this be real...or is it just a long-con of a troll?

In the comments, I suggested Ask A Manager Allison invite this poster onto her podcast. I hope Allison sees it. That would be hilarious must-listen net content.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #445 on: December 27, 2018, 09:00:34 AM »
https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/12/dear-prudence-best-letters-2018.html

Motherlode. There are about four entries in this link are clear-cut "OP is the only one" examples.

The "second-class grandma" banned from the delivery room because she's too extra is my favorite. She found herself "stunned and hurt by the unfairness of the decision" to include the delivering mom's own mother but exclude her.

Close runner-up: The lady furious because her daughter-in-law knitted her a gift with yarn purchased using a gift card the OP gave as a previous present. So great was the lady's ire at this thinly veiled regifting, she contemplates writing a letter "expressing [her] sadness that the [daughter-inlaw's] own parents didn’t teach her gift etiquette."

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #446 on: December 27, 2018, 09:49:13 PM »
Ahhh etiquette. Sometimes worthwhile, sometimes someone else making up rules and lording them over another person. No thanks.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #447 on: December 28, 2018, 06:09:39 AM »
OP was the only who didn't see it...and even after being called out, is still the only one:

https://www.askamanager.org/2018/12/updates-the-insulting-gift-the-employee-born-on-leap-day-and-more.html

Synopsis: My company gives a birthday linked fringe benefit: a day off, a gift card and cake. Each employee gets this treatment on their birthday of the workday following his/her birthday. One employee, who was born on leap day, and thus is only entitled to the benefit once every 4 years, had the temerity to complain that she was not treated equally. This special snowflake feels "excluded" by a clear written policy.

Can this be real...or is it just a long-con of a troll?

In the comments, I suggested Ask A Manager Allison invite this poster onto her podcast. I hope Allison sees it. That would be hilarious must-listen net content.
This one also enraged me because of the arbitrariness of it.  Op fully acknowldges if someone's birthday falls on the weekend say the 31st their birthday is on a Sunday, that the employee would be granted the following Monday (the 1st) off. Yet can't make the leap for someone born on the 29th, to clebrate 3/1 as their birthday on an off year. Makes me want to quit for that person.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #448 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:20 PM »
Resurrecting a good thread for a guy who wants to know, geez, doesn't everyone yell at their wife to get going on a Monday morning?  Who can even figure out how to resolve problems without yelling?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/02/yelling-during-arguments-care-and-feeding.html

Dear Care and Feeding,

My wife and I fight a lot. We try to keep perspective. For instance, it’s hard to imagine that any couple with two stressful full-time jobs, little kids, and limited resources wouldn’t be fighting a bunch. At a minimum, on a Monday morning, fighting can sometimes seem necessary just to push away the exhaustion and start moving. We’re not like the people on Facebook. We don’t get vacations.

Years ago, I used to yell a lot during fights. Now, strangely, she’s sometimes louder and more aggressive than me. Due to our past, however, I’ll always be branded “the angry one,” a title never to be repealed. At my wife’s request I’ve worked on decreasing my yelling. I grew up in a family that fights and yells and argues and she comes from a family that never yelled. I can’t imagine how they aired and resolved problems, so go figure. So in her world yelling in general—but especially in front of the kids—is a cardinal sin. I don’t claim that it’s the pinnacle of good family health, but in general I consider us good parents and our lovely children well-behaved.
 I wanted to ask about this yelling thing. Surely every parenting expert (I’m skeptical that such a person exists) avers that yelling in the house, in front of the kids, between a loving couple, is absolutely not OK. And yet I remain not wholly convinced. Could there be a family who is perfect in resolving differences? If so, it must be because they amicably separated years ago. Yelling isn’t pretty or healthy (whatever) but I consider it part of relationship life.

My wife can be very emotionally manipulative. Is that better than yelling? At least with yelling the other party knows the position. One may not be able to rationally sort out differences in the heat of the moment with an angry person but there’s a certain transparency to yelling. We know what they’re thinking. Emotional manipulation—which may include sarcasm, twists of tone, guilting, gaslighting, bringing spouse’s other intimate personal matters into an argument, bringing spouse’s work relationships into an argument—seems to me far more destructive and poisonous than yelling, in particular because within their subtle art, a deft manipulator can eschew any responsibility whatsoever. It’s true, how does one know it’s there? So it takes a lot of energy to attempt to gather evidence that emotional manipulation is even taking place and even if evidence is found, it’s nearly impossible to get a deft manipulator to fess up and not twist the evidence until it doesn’t exist.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #449 on: February 13, 2019, 01:24:03 PM »
Oh my god and the next paragraph after what you quoted:

The strangest part is that my wife sees yelling as a behavior of the traditional bullying conservative male, that he is aggressive and authoritative. She does not seem to see emotional manipulation as a behavior of the traditional bullying female. At a minimum, this question should show how deeply thoughtful a man I am

And he talks about her gaslighting him, geez.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!