Author Topic: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It  (Read 179172 times)

Rowellen

• Bristles
Re: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It
« Reply #300 on: September 18, 2017, 06:38:45 PM »
If the coworker did get framed by the intern, kudos to the intern for handing the coworker her due karma. What would happen for stealing a jacket? Naughty girl. Give it back. Go about your life as normal. Maybe a formal written warning from the employer. The police likely wouldn't have been involved. Add a bit of credit card fraud and is a whole other story. Lesson: don't mess with that intern.

I would still believe the intern over the coworker, church or not.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: September 18, 2017, 07:58:33 PM »
I'm not sure if someone's already posted this, but....

the entirety of /r/bestoflegaladvice

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #302 on: September 19, 2017, 04:10:11 AM »
I'm not sure if someone's already posted this, but....

the entirety of /r/bestoflegaladvice

Haha... that is a lovely sub. I just clicked a couple at random - as always, the first comments are just as gold as the actual subject matter.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/70yv3c/guy_ran_into_our_recycling_bin_brick_we_were/

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/70nm87/germany_hamburg_got_scammed_by_prostitute_what/

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:14:47 AM by marty998 »

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #304 on: September 27, 2017, 06:56:22 AM »
Ask A Manger

Original: http://www.askamanager.org/2017/08/i-ghosted-my-ex-and-shes-about-to-be-my-new-boss.html
Update: http://www.askamanager.org/2017/09/update-i-ghosted-my-ex-and-shes-about-to-be-my-new-boss.html

that update! man it hurt to read.  "why did she have to go to the top?" ...um...weren't you the one that messaged HR??? Its all over from there.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: September 27, 2017, 08:14:42 AM »
Ask A Manger

Original: http://www.askamanager.org/2017/08/i-ghosted-my-ex-and-shes-about-to-be-my-new-boss.html
Update: http://www.askamanager.org/2017/09/update-i-ghosted-my-ex-and-shes-about-to-be-my-new-boss.html

that update! man it hurt to read.  "why did she have to go to the top?" ...um...weren't you the one that messaged HR??? Its all over from there.

That was my EXACT reaction. *She* didn't go to the top, YOU DID. And he quotes her as saying "we can work together", which is the only thing he shares that she says. I don't want to assign her any motivations (since the commentariat did that at length in the original post), but maybe she was overwhelmed and that's why she didn't reply to the email? Maybe she wanted to have an in-person conversation?

You know what, bad things happen sometimes. Bad things happen to people who did nothing to deserve them. I'm having a hard time coming up with any sympathy at all for someone who behaved so badly and then is all "how can I fix this so that I suffer no consequences" when it catches up to him.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #306 on: September 27, 2017, 08:18:05 AM »
Ask A Manger

That was my EXACT reaction. *She* didn't go to the top, YOU DID. And he quotes her as saying "we can work together", which is the only thing he shares that she says. I don't want to assign her any motivations (since the commentariat did that at length in the original post), but maybe she was overwhelmed and that's why she didn't reply to the email? Maybe she wanted to have an in-person conversation?

You know what, bad things happen sometimes. Bad things happen to people who did nothing to deserve them. I'm having a hard time coming up with any sympathy at all for someone who behaved so badly and then is all "how can I fix this so that I suffer no consequences" when it catches up to him.

Re-reading the first post too, I still cannot believe that a person thinks they can just get up and leave a relationship (ghosting??) without saying anything and NOT expect someone to think they are hurt or kidnapped or something.  How are they supposed to know you just felt like being eff it I'm leaving on a whim with no notice or say?

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: September 27, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »
Ask A Manger

I think it is complete immaturity.  His immaturity convinced him that the best solution to an unhappy relationship was to ghost his longtime GF.  The same immaturity also convinced him that the ex-GF's and big-boss' actions were All About Him, and so since he didn't like them, that meant that they must have been designed to punish him -- when in reality, they were probably designed to protect both him and the company from a retaliation claim, given that the ex would have been his manager.*  And then for the trifecta, that same immaturity leads him to quit in a huff, despite having no job and no other means of support, and knowing that he's now going to have to make a major move to find a new position (the phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" springs to mind).  Idiot.

*Not to mention that those requirements didn't seem to me to be quite as inconceivable as he made them out to be -- no one was going to give him shit if he ran into her at the grocery store, just try to avoid each other in general, and when you can't, make sure there is a witness.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: September 27, 2017, 09:17:15 AM »
I mean, who compliments, and then STEALS some poor intern's jacket from work? If you do that, do you just not wear the jacket to work (maybe just when going to church)?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: September 27, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
*Not to mention that those requirements didn't seem to me to be quite as inconceivable as he made them out to be -- no one was going to give him shit if he ran into her at the grocery store, just try to avoid each other in general, and when you can't, make sure there is a witness.

Especially when he says further up that his role and hers don't interact on a day-to-day basis. If I was required by my job to have someone else in the room when meeting with my grand-boss or great-grand-boss, that'd be a little weird, but almost entirely inconsequential because I have very little interaction with them anyway.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #310 on: September 28, 2017, 12:22:44 AM »
The real "what a twerp" moments for me were when HE complained that SHE got someone else involved after he'd already emailed HR, and when he quit on the spot. I wouldn't love working under those restrictions either as it would stress me out that I might do something wrong, but I would suck it up while looking for a new job. Instead it's like he's complaining that she "made him" quit. Some of the commenters do really lay into him, but he's definitely an "only one who doesn't get it".

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #311 on: September 29, 2017, 07:08:50 AM »
This thread (and Ask a Manager) is way too addicting

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #312 on: January 29, 2018, 12:41:33 PM »
Resurrecting this because today's AAM post made me laugh (#3 specifically).

Everyone gets their birthday off (free vacation day) and a gift card to a local restaurant, but one employee, whose birthday is on 2/29, is being petty and selfish and she's not allowed to take any days off because she doesn't have a real birthday. Oh, and the grandboss agrees.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: January 29, 2018, 12:45:13 PM »

Everyone gets their birthday off (free vacation day) and a gift card to a local restaurant, but one employee, whose birthday is on 2/29, is being petty and selfish and she's not allowed to take any days off because she doesn't have a real birthday. Oh, and the grandboss agrees.

I literally could not believe this entry!  Missing out on benefits all the other employees get, but shes the one being petty...smh!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: January 29, 2018, 01:45:17 PM »
I saw that. Here's hoping the birthday girl finds a new job soon. Her current workplace suuuuuuucks.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #315 on: January 29, 2018, 05:08:58 PM »
I saw that. Here's hoping the birthday girl finds a new job soon. Her current workplace suuuuuuucks.

Especially the bit where they could understand if it were a case of everyone singing Happy birthday, but since it is just a paid day off + a gift card, well, how petty...

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #316 on: January 29, 2018, 08:44:08 PM »
And the boss even makes a point of saying how anyone with a birthday on a weekend/holiday gets the next workday off!  So she is the ONLY ONE who can never get this day off!  I remember being in grade school and all of us 12-year-olds teasing one kid with a Feb. 29th birthday that they were only 3 now, but even as kids we were joking!

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: January 30, 2018, 08:11:57 AM »
And the boss even makes a point of saying how anyone with a birthday on a weekend/holiday gets the next workday off!  So she is the ONLY ONE who can never get this day off!  I remember being in grade school and all of us 12-year-olds teasing one kid with a Feb. 29th birthday that they were only 3 now, but even as kids we were joking!

My father was born on 2/29. I relished the fact that I was older than him.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #318 on: January 30, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »

Does anyone else read these questions and just assume that it must be a troll? No one is really stupid enough to deny their employee basic job perks simply because of their birth date, then write to an advice columnist to ask for support of their stupidity...Right?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #319 on: January 30, 2018, 10:38:54 AM »

My father was born on 2/29. I relished the fact that I was older than him.
Once upon a time, I was engaged to be married. Had the ring, the dress, the venue, the date: Feb. 29th. We thought we could get a lot of mileage out of choosing that date. Alas, things happened in the interim and I called it off. It still gives me a chuckle every time a Feb. 29th rolls around.

PS - I finally found my prince, and I'm pretty sure he found what he wanted in life, so it's all good.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #320 on: January 30, 2018, 06:24:58 PM »
Think of poor Frederic, apprenticed to pirates until his 21st birthday - and then when he is 21 he finds out his birthday was February 29 and his apprenticeship has many more years to go.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #321 on: January 30, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »

Does anyone else read these questions and just assume that it must be a troll? No one is really stupid enough to deny their employee basic job perks simply because of their birth date, then write to an advice columnist to ask for support of their stupidity...Right?

It did cross my mind that it might be fake. However I have met more than one person who would rather shoot themself in the foot before admitting to being wrong or making a mistake.

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #323 on: January 31, 2018, 12:43:16 PM »
Good ol Savage Love..
 https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/01/30/25763823/savage-love-letter-of-the-day-time-management-for-a-poly-newb/comments

That's a "neat" move, get caught cheating, then convince your wife that you're really poly, then spend more time with your girlfriend.  I'm not sure how he can even say he loves his wife.  It sounds like he loves having someone to split the chores with.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #324 on: January 31, 2018, 02:09:11 PM »
Good ol Savage Love..
 https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/01/30/25763823/savage-love-letter-of-the-day-time-management-for-a-poly-newb/comments

That's a "neat" move, get caught cheating, then convince your wife that you're really poly, then spend more time with your girlfriend.  I'm not sure how he can even say he loves his wife.  It sounds like he loves having someone to split the chores with.

Oof. This letter hit too close to home. After my husband broke up with me, he offered us continue to live together, have sex together, and share chores together, but that otherwise he had no limitations on him. Funny I didn't take him up on that offer. Ironically, there are parts of me that still love him. But I can't be with him because he doesn't have a clue what a real relationship is, which includes among many, treating your partner with respect.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #325 on: January 31, 2018, 02:32:25 PM »
This isn't on the internet, but my own life. I became "friendly" again with the woman who had an affair with my husband over the last 6 months our kids are best friends so this started up with both arranging times for kids to hang out, and shuttling to school events. Ex for many reasons, including that his current girlfriend does not like it, no longer communicates with her or acknowledges her.

After a clearing of the air between us, was doing my best to be an adult, not have the kids friendship be affected. Only last night, with a series of texts, that she a) trying maintain contact with my ex, through me, or our kids. Also she may be slightly stalkerish. To give context, this woman was incredibly cruel to me during the affair, ran me down to my ex and also to some extent to mutual friends (called me crazy among other things), said derogatory things about my kids. Since we cleared air, she came to a talk I gave even though that wasn't her interest, has stopped by unannounced such as to give me a book and relationship advice such as cheating may be something people just do. Now compliments me outrageously for example the other day said she loves my last name so much, that other than her own name, would use it as a last name (I kept my maiden name).   

"Perhaps not but now lots of smoking" (referring to his habits)"Well, it's not like his presence would greatly benefit my kids' lives. It just ended up worse than I ever imagined. He wouldn't even say hi to the kids&me when we went to (the place he works). He's a 50 year old man! Very enmeshed with the gf- works, lives & spends all his free time with her. His current life strikes me as sad&un-balanced but perhaps just another sign of how very different we are."
"He doesn't seem happy or healthy to me. I think he puts a lot of energy into avoidance on a lot of fronts, most of them emotional. And I think (girlfriend) helps with that because she wants to be with him all the time. Good distraction. Wish he'd throw himself into helping his damaged little girl (my daughter) more than his damaged coworker gf. To me, he seems to still be in totally stereotypical male middle-life crisis mode. Even (friend) says he 'wants the old (ex husband) back but once you've gone that far douchebag, you usually don't come back'. But whatever, it's even far les my circus than yours. I need to remember that. My kids and I don't even warrant a passing pleasantry in the bar."

OK. So ending up worse than she ever imagined was NOT breaking up two marriages with children involved. That he doesn't say hi to her anymore.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:34:38 PM by partgypsy »

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #326 on: February 01, 2018, 06:11:19 AM »
Good ol Savage Love..

"She found out I was cheating on her; after years of struggling with monogamy, I told her it was open our marriage or divorce."

How about "don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on the way out"?  Damn.

I gotta give Savage credit for answering him as if he had asked a real question, though; don't think I could have gotten past the breathtaking obliviousness/entitlement of the opener.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #327 on: February 01, 2018, 09:17:59 AM »
Are people's libido stronger than their brain's logic or their sense of responsibility?

Saw on the news this morn that Nashville's mayor admitted to an affair with one of her staff.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: February 01, 2018, 10:06:21 AM »
Are people's libido stronger than their brain's logic or their sense of responsibility?

Saw on the news this morn that Nashville's mayor admitted to an affair with one of her staff.
Isn't that why we survive as a species?

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #329 on: February 01, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »
Good ol Savage Love..

"She found out I was cheating on her; after years of struggling with monogamy, I told her it was open our marriage or divorce."

How about "don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on the way out"?  Damn.

I gotta give Savage credit for answering him as if he had asked a real question, though; don't think I could have gotten past the breathtaking obliviousness/entitlement of the opener.

But he's a doctor, see, so he's busy. He doesn't have time for treating his wife with respect, you know how it is.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #330 on: February 01, 2018, 12:01:58 PM »
We'll survive as a species b/c people procreate. Don't have to trample a marriage, lie, or sneak around.

Will be interesting to see how the overtime the bodyguard was paid plays out.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #331 on: February 02, 2018, 01:11:21 PM »
Comment on the Friday open thread today at AAM:
http://www.askamanager.org/2018/02/open-thread-february-2-3-2018.html#comment-1833575

Last I checked, something like 230 replies. Some people are really clueless.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #332 on: February 02, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »

Isn't that why we survive as a species?
We'll survive as a species b/c people procreate. Don't have to trample a marriage, lie, or sneak around.

If my parents were logical, they would have stopped having kids before they got to me :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #333 on: February 06, 2018, 11:49:08 PM »
https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/02/dear-prudence-my-daughter-in-law-let-me-in-the-delivery-room.html

Love Mallory's response.

Frankly, I can see why they don’t want you in the room, if But I was a nurse! and I’m a second-class grandmother is your response to Please hang out and read a book in the hallway while Julia is crowning.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: February 07, 2018, 04:04:31 AM »
https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/02/dear-prudence-my-daughter-in-law-let-me-in-the-delivery-room.html

Love Mallory's response.

Frankly, I can see why they don’t want you in the room, if But I was a nurse! and I’m a second-class grandmother is your response to Please hang out and read a book in the hallway while Julia is crowning.

Wonder what the MIL was like on the wedding night...

"no son!...it goes in there"

:O  :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #335 on: February 07, 2018, 04:07:43 AM »

Love Mallory's response.

:D

Julia probably put a stop to that, too. Bloody Julia, she ruins everything! /s

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #336 on: February 07, 2018, 06:26:13 AM »

Love Mallory's response.

I just happened to read that post on Dear Prudence about ten minutes ago. Holy hell, this MIL is freaking clueless.
:D

Julia probably put a stop to that, too. Bloody Julia, she ruins everything! /s

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: February 07, 2018, 07:36:11 AM »

Love Mallory's response.

I think it's a little weird she let her own mother into the delivery room. We kicked everybody out once we got close to actual delivery, though my MIL did sort of make it difficult for me to actually get near my wife while we were just waiting ....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:35:12 AM by NoStacheOhio »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #338 on: February 07, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »
I love my MIL but I wouldn't even want my own mother to be there.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: February 07, 2018, 09:24:04 AM »

Maybe we'll see the husband's letter in Prudence tomorrow. "How come HER mother gets to come in the delivery room and MY mother is scratching at the door!! Not fair."

I could only see the mother or another supportive person in the delivery room if the partner was not in the picture or not available in some way (deployed, ill, traveling for work, etc). One other person is plenty.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #340 on: February 07, 2018, 09:28:19 AM »

Maybe we'll see the husband's letter in Prudence tomorrow. "How come HER mother gets to come in the delivery room and MY mother is scratching at the door!! Not fair."

I could only see the mother or another supportive person in the delivery room if the partner was not in the picture or not available in some way (deployed, ill, traveling for work, etc). One other person is plenty.

I mean, maybe if she's young and really scared, having her mom in there makes sense if they're close.

But regardless. The pregnant woman is in charge of deciding who sees her cooch. Period.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #341 on: February 07, 2018, 11:29:29 AM »
@Kris agree. When I had my kids, just having their father with me in the delivery room was plenty. The woman giving birth does get to call the shots ultimately   And I think we're all on the same page as Prudence that the MIL is nucking futz.

ProfessionalPirate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #342 on: February 08, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »
Good ol Savage Love..

Oof. This letter hit too close to home. After my husband broke up with me, he offered us continue to live together, have sex together, and share chores together, but that otherwise he had no limitations on him. Funny I didn't take him up on that offer. Ironically, there are parts of me that still love him. But I can't be with him because he doesn't have a clue what a real relationship is, which includes among many, treating your partner with respect.

Is your husband the United Kingdom?

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #343 on: February 08, 2018, 04:50:54 PM »
Good ol Savage Love..

?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #344 on: February 08, 2018, 04:52:24 PM »
?

Brexit metaphor. "We want to be legally divested from you and have the freedom do whatever we want, but we still want all the perks of the existing union."

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #345 on: February 09, 2018, 05:30:41 AM »

Niiiiiice. I lol'd.

And welcome if you're new/post more if you're a lurker.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #346 on: February 09, 2018, 10:48:31 AM »
Yep. Called wanting your cake and eating it too.

ProfessionalPirate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #347 on: February 10, 2018, 02:40:04 AM »

Niiiiiice. I lol'd.

Thanks! I've been around for a while but haven't posted much. I love this thread though.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #348 on: February 10, 2018, 09:24:19 AM »

Niiiiiice. I lol'd.

Cosign.  Funniest response I've ever seen on this forum.
Thanks! I've been around for a while but haven't posted much. I love this thread though.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #349 on: February 11, 2018, 01:13:13 AM »
Good ol Savage Love..

I read this post a week ago, and reading it again now still has me shaking my head. He left your marriage but still wanted to be effectively married? And he seriously thought you'd say yes to that?

Mind. Blown. Glad you've moved on @partgypsy