Author Topic: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It  (Read 179139 times)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: OP Is the Only One Who Doesn't See It
« Reply #250 on: July 28, 2017, 03:28:41 PM »
I wonder if getting her question published in "Ask a Manager" contributed to her firing. There was someone who had a possible hostile workplace or harassment or age discrimination case - and you sent in enough details to be identifiable, confirming some of the employee's complaints.....

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: July 31, 2017, 08:01:08 AM »
The terrible manager from this link had other updates, just as asshole/clueless:

First, Alison suspended them after the "ha ha I'm so much smaaaarter than former worker (I've got an MBA)" comment for being clueless.

Then this:

http://www.askamanager.org/2017/07/is-the-work-environment-ive-created-on-my-team-too-exclusive.html#comment-1573249
For those not wanting to click over:
I’m on a suspension pending investigation from work. I am extremely bitter that the person who turned in the SnapChats couldnt come to me first…

Hooray for good HR people! This entitled jerk may actually face consequences for their stupid, stupid actions!!

And as of today's open thread, this entitled jerk has been fired.
http://www.askamanager.org/2017/07/open-thread-july-28-29-2017.html#comment-1578127

Oooh I missed the open thread bit. There's a lot of discussion as to whether or not the letter and OP are fake. The reactions of admitting you were suspended then fired don't seem very troll like, but at the same time I have a hard time believing someone with seemingly that level of cockiness, where the original letter was pretty much "tell me I'm right," would also admit to the suspension and firing.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #252 on: July 31, 2017, 09:17:24 AM »
The terrible manager from this link had other updates, just as asshole/clueless:

First, Alison suspended them after the "ha ha I'm so much smaaaarter than former worker (I've got an MBA)" comment for being clueless.

Then this:

http://www.askamanager.org/2017/07/is-the-work-environment-ive-created-on-my-team-too-exclusive.html#comment-1573249
For those not wanting to click over:
I’m on a suspension pending investigation from work. I am extremely bitter that the person who turned in the SnapChats couldnt come to me first…

Hooray for good HR people! This entitled jerk may actually face consequences for their stupid, stupid actions!!

http://www.askamanager.org/2017/07/open-thread-july-28-29-2017.html#comment-1578127

Oooh I missed the open thread bit. There's a lot of discussion as to whether or not the letter and OP are fake. The reactions of admitting you were suspended then fired don't seem very troll like, but at the same time I have a hard time believing someone with seemingly that level of cockiness, where the original letter was pretty much "tell me I'm right," would also admit to the suspension and firing.

I really hope she posts the interactions.

Lis

• Pencil Stache

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: August 02, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »
The update we've been waiting for is here!

OMG....this whole segment...

I had also downgraded  her end-of-year evaluation. I don’t think she deserved the praise she received from the sales staff, my directorand client executives. Her work just wasn’t that good to me. I thought if my team and I froze her out, she would leave. I called it un-managing.

My team found her quietness and her ability to develop sales presentations and connect with each client was very show-off-like. When she asked for help, we didn’t take it seriously because we thought she acted like she knew everything and she was making us look bad by always going above and beyond for no reason.

How does one so lack self-awareness that they can write "all the staff senior to me liked this person's work and they acted in a professional, dedicated way and did a good job" and not start thinking, "hmm, maybe I'm the problem?"

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: August 02, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »
Holy. Shit.

This kind of childishness and lack of self-awareness is elementary-school level.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: August 02, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »
Amazing. I hope after they fired the entire team (!) they re-hired the "quiet" ex-employee who the team disliked because of "her ability to develop sales presentations and connect with each client" and who received praise "from the sales staff, my director and client executives." If that's the worst thing this hateful manager can come up with, you know she must be incredible.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: August 02, 2017, 12:54:12 PM »
Yeah, this one was really amazing for being completely clueless! 

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #258 on: August 02, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »
Just finding this thread. That last manager--OMG.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: August 02, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »
I thought that as Ask a Manager you would side with a manager.

ಠ_ಠ

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: August 02, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
I was getting more and more convinced that the writer of Ask A Manager was getting trolled, because it did not seem possible this person is real, but apparently so. Although as people were pointing out in the comments, where was this person's own manager? Someone this clueless should not have been able to fool her supervisors into thinking she was doing a good job...

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2017, 04:12:03 PM »
There is no way this is a real, live person. No. I refuse to believe that someone this... out of touch with reality? Or social mores? I have no idea what... could exist, make it up to late 20s and be promoted to a management position and still think and act in this manner.

And the part where she wants to sue or somehow retaliate against this person for what they said in an exit interview and her company investigated and confirmed? Breathtaking and so very, very sad.

This has to be a joke. I'm gonna believe this is anyway.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: August 02, 2017, 04:29:30 PM »
There is no way this is a real, live person. No. I refuse to believe that someone this... out of touch with reality? Or social mores? I have no idea what... could exist, make it up to late 20s and be promoted to a management position and still think and act in this manner.

I had a former manager in his 50s who:
- came into the office one weekend and took home all the office chairs (he genuinely thought this would be fine)
- regularly commented on my appearance, told me he preferred my hair out rather than up
- was so paranoid that if more than two of his staff got together for a meeting he insisted on sitting in to make sure they weren't planning to overthrow him
- spent tens of thousands of dollars on a 65" flat screen, tech, and art for the office despite knowing we were under review and facing a possible merger
- gradually replaced more than half our team with people from his previous team in another state
- told my team I was pregnant when I wanted to announce my resignation and let them know I had taken another job

Emotionally immature people exist, and some of them are managers.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #263 on: August 02, 2017, 05:12:29 PM »
*snip*
I had a former manager in his 50s who:
[nutty stuff]
- told my team I was pregnant when I wanted to announce my resignation and let them know I had taken another job

Emotionally immature people exist, and some of them are managers.

And when your soon to-be-ex-coworkers asked you, you could put your hand over your navel and say solemnly "Yes.  And [manager] is the father."  (But not really.)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2017, 02:30:41 AM »
No way. I still can't quite believe it. In the update thy basically said "She was too good for my team and made us look bad" and "Her work wasn't good enough and she didn't have enough experience" - um, wot?

My secret hope is that the original quiet employee reads it and writes in. I'm sure there is further awfulness the "manager" isn't letting us know. Is an AAM post admissible in court? Because here's hoping this idiot is prosecuted - seems like the only way it would get into their thick skull.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: August 03, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »
There's a part of me that still smells troll in it all, but I can't figure out why. What's the purpose of trolling in this way? The original letter was very "tell me I'm right," and when the overwhelming response was "you are not right," I feel like a trolling response would have been "well my management says I was right, so there," and kind of sticking it to Alison and the regular commentators. Someone in the original comments suspected the LW might be a Baby Boomer/Gen X troll masquerading as a millennial manager that's so out of touch since the original letter included a lot of "I'm a millennial/we're all millennial" speak, which really isn't how millennials talk... but the updates don't reflect that as much either. I don't know. There's something still off about the letters and responses, but it may be my discomfort that there's someone out there who's just so out of touch with reality - not just a bad manager, but someone who is so incapable of listening to literally every source saying "you're in the wrong."

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: August 03, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »
I don't think it's a troll. I went to school with people like this. Most of them are (thankfully) in no position to ever manage anybody, but it's not impossible that someone like that could rise to a management position while continuing to be garbage.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #267 on: August 09, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
Oh my goodness. The entire thing reads like she desperately wanted to be the cool person, so let the other people manipulate her actions under the guise of being a good manager. That explains why she listened to her subordinates and gave the ex employee work to them. Also, she didn't want the ex to be promoted before she was, so gave her awful reviews since there wasn't work to be done.

But really, how the heck does the team take frequent brewery trips on company time without it A) being known by the rest of the company, and B) even allowed?!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: August 15, 2017, 10:24:36 AM »
From Ask A Manager today:

http://www.askamanager.org/2017/08/i-get-angry-when-my-coworkers-make-mistakes.html

So far at least, this one has hope.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2017, 10:04:48 AM »
http://www.askamanager.org/2017/08/i-ghosted-my-ex-and-shes-about-to-be-my-new-boss.html

Dude abandoned the girlfriend he lived with after 3 years of being together by leaving the country without a word, and refers to her reaching out to his friends and family as being "emotional" and "obsessed".

Ex-girlfriend is now his boss, and due to circumstances he's very restricted in his job options.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2017, 11:00:47 AM »
http://www.askamanager.org/2017/08/i-ghosted-my-ex-and-shes-about-to-be-my-new-boss.html

Dude abandoned the girlfriend he lived with after 3 years of being together by leaving the country without a word, and refers to her reaching out to his friends and family as being "emotional" and "obsessed".

Ex-girlfriend is now his boss, and due to circumstances he's very restricted in his job options.

"She caused a scene by reaching out to my family and friends!" Well... yeah, if I had been seriously dating someone for three years, living together for two, and I come home to an empty apartment with no note or anything, I'd be concerned and reach out to friends and family!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2017, 11:22:48 AM »

Yeah, this one is amazing.  Slow morning at work so I read through the comments.  Karma can really be a bitch. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2017, 11:26:19 AM »
When I first read this one, I assumed it was a college-age study-abroad type relationship, where they had known each other a few months at best...which would still have made him kind of a jerk but left the situation salvageable.  Then when I got to the part about three YEARS, I was like...Oh...never mind. Start job-hunting.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: August 22, 2017, 11:29:16 AM »
Yikes. I hope the OP is dusting off his resume...

Seriously though, what the hell is wrong with people??

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #274 on: August 26, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »
I just ran into this old Ask a Manager letter from someone in college who doesn't respect 20 years experience of the higher-ups at his/her job because their degrees aren't directly related to their current work.

rosaz

• Stubble

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2017, 10:32:56 PM »
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2017/08/dear_prudence_my_girlfriend_won_t_donate_to_harvey_victims_because_some.html

Towards the bottom: "Q. Bull in a china cupboard"
Almost sounds like OP has OCD.

Wow, what a rude thing to do to one's friend!

Rude and stupid! And thanks for veering this thread away from "Ask a Manager". I love Prudence, she tells it like it is.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #279 on: August 29, 2017, 11:44:49 PM »
I know a couple of people that totally do this, and do not understand why you wouldn't be thankful. They have a total blind spot between "this is a pet peeve of mine" and "everyone should do what I do" right into "I will correct and lecture this failing in others". I can imagine Nancy sitting through the lecture of why she should put her (now broken) plates away one at a time IN ORDER TO KEEP THE NEATLY DOOR SHUT, thinking what kind of lunatic do I have in my house?

...At one point I noticed that she’d left a cupboard door open, so I helpfully closed it. She then turned around with her arms full of plates, for some reason expected the cabinet door to be open, and clumsily dropped some of the dishes. I honestly thought she was done in that cupboard and helped her clean up the mess. I also suggested that next time she put things away one or two pieces at a time so that she could keep the doors neatly shut in between. Nancy never complained to me but must have told our friend “Paul” because he told me that I owed Nancy an apology and should offer to pay for her broken dishware. I admit that open cabinets and drawers are a pet peeve of mine...

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #280 on: September 04, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »

That there exist clueless jerks, and that some of them are elevated to management: all this is in the nature of things.  Hence I can believe in the existence of the original poster.  But that anyone paid attention to an exit interview, that HR even acted upon it: this is mirabile dictu, a thing entirely beyond my experience, not much short of miraculous. 

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #281 on: September 06, 2017, 06:26:32 AM »
From the latest Dear Prudence:

My 27-year-old daughter and her best friend, Katie, have been best friends since they were 4. Katie practically grew up in our house and is like a daughter to me. My daughter recently got engaged to her fiancé and announced that Katie would be the maid of honor (Katie’s boyfriend is also a good friend of my future son-in-law). The problem is that Katie walks with a pretty severe limp due to a birth defect (not an underlying medical issue). She has no problem wearing high heels and has already been fitted for the dress, but I still think it will look unsightly if she’s in the wedding procession limping ahead of my daughter. I mentioned this to my daughter and suggested that maybe Katie could take video or hand out programs (while sitting) so she doesn’t ruin the aesthetic aspect of the wedding. My daughter is no longer speaking to me (we were never that close), but this is her big wedding and I want it to be perfect. All of the other bridesmaids will look gorgeous walking down the aisle with my daughter. Is it wrong to have her friend sit out?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #282 on: September 06, 2017, 06:29:18 AM »

My 27-year-old daughter and her best friend, Katie, have been best friends since they were 4. Katie practically grew up in our house and is like a daughter to me. My daughter recently got engaged to her fiancé and announced that Katie would be the maid of honor (Katie’s boyfriend is also a good friend of my future son-in-law). The problem is that Katie walks with a pretty severe limp due to a birth defect (not an underlying medical issue). She has no problem wearing high heels and has already been fitted for the dress, but I still think it will look unsightly if she’s in the wedding procession limping ahead of my daughter. I mentioned this to my daughter and suggested that maybe Katie could take video or hand out programs (while sitting) so she doesn’t ruin the aesthetic aspect of the wedding. My daughter is no longer speaking to me (we were never that close), but this is her big wedding and I want it to be perfect. All of the other bridesmaids will look gorgeous walking down the aisle with my daughter. Is it wrong to have her friend sit out?

Ohhh I just read that and came looking for this thread to see if anyone had seen that one yet.

I am A-MAZED at the level of cluelessness the writer has. They damned themselves with their own writing. Did they even read out what they wrote down before sending it off?

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #283 on: September 06, 2017, 07:08:21 AM »

This must be fake, right?
Who the hell cares more about a wedding than about the people getting married? Jesus.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: September 06, 2017, 08:06:22 AM »
Who the hell cares more about a wedding than about the people getting married? Jesus.

Dear farfromfire,what nice people you must associate with.   Have you never heard of "Brides" magazine?

Self example: I've gone to a wedding mostly for the beer, and to see Bridezilla's parents and my friends since I live far out of town.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #285 on: September 06, 2017, 08:33:07 AM »

Dear farfromfire,what nice people you must associate with.   Have you never heard of "Brides" magazine?

Self example: I've gone to a wedding mostly for the beer, and to see Bridezilla's parents and my friends since I live far out of town.
I guess so, and although I consider myself lucky to have never heard of that particular publication I will now have to check it out posthaste! To be fair I meant among those involved with organising/planning the wedding.

What a sad disconnect exists in the sentence "My daughter is no longer speaking to me (we were never that close), but this is her big wedding and I want it to be perfect". It's her wedding, but what matters is what I want.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:34:38 AM by farfromfire »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: September 06, 2017, 09:07:58 AM »

I was going to dispute the fact that Jesus cares more about the wedding than the people, when I remembered that it is recorded that he turned the water in to wine.    Nowhere does it say that he blessed the marriage or the people involved :-)

Seen on a Google search:  "BRIDES is the leading authority in the bridal space for the woman who puts style first."   -- my italics.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2017, 01:02:20 PM »

I was going to dispute the fact that Jesus cares more about the wedding than the people, when I remembered that it is recorded that he turned the water in to wine.    Nowhere does it say that he blessed the marriage or the people involved :-)

Seen on a Google search:  "BRIDES is the leading authority in the bridal space for the woman who puts style first."   -- my italics.

Maybe you don't consider someone bringing gallons of awesome wine to your wedding a blessing to those involved, but I respectfully disagree.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: September 06, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »

I was going to dispute the fact that Jesus cares more about the wedding than the people, when I remembered that it is recorded that he turned the water into wine.    Nowhere does it say that he blessed the marriage or the people involved :-)

Maybe you don't consider someone bringing gallons of awesome wine to your wedding a blessing to those involved, but I respectfully disagree.
Touche'   I'm just not that big of a wine drinker.  If the drink was beer, than I might have thought differently.   I was mostly going with Sam Kinison's "Jesus the miracle caterer" theme.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: September 06, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »
This one is a classic http://amydickinson.com/post/85115023030/sisterly-exclusion-makes-one-sis-a-horrible-person

Great thread!

Ooh, ouch. Good one!
God I HATE this one I have such righteous digust for that sister and cousins

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »

(Bolding added.)   Sooooo OP seems to have missed that when one uses the expression "like a daughter to me," the implication is that one loves said daughter...

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #291 on: September 06, 2017, 09:25:48 PM »
Sooooo OP seems to have missed that when one uses the expression "like a daughter to me," the implication is that one loves said daughter...

Like a daughter in that neither of them talk to her.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #292 on: September 06, 2017, 10:32:49 PM »
And to be fair to the OP, if Katie actually was the OP's own daughter, she'd likely have hidden Katie in the attic when people came over so they wouldn't be all freaked out by how crippled and shit she was. Plus she would have bought her tap shoes for Christmas and then laughed. She's a great parent, obviously!

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #293 on: September 06, 2017, 10:48:26 PM »

I guess so, and although I consider myself lucky to have never heard of that particular publication I will now have to check it out posthaste! To be fair I meant among those involved with organising/planning the wedding.

What a sad disconnect exists in the sentence "My daughter is no longer speaking to me (we were never that close), but this is her big wedding and I want it to be perfect". It's her wedding, but what matters is what I want.

Sometimes this can happen when the parents pay for the wedding. They may feel they have the right to dictate certain decisions, though in this case the mother of the bride is clearly clueless.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #294 on: September 18, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »
OP isn't the one in the wrong, but appears to be ignoring a few things...
Ask a Manager - Did my intern frame my coworker for credit card theft?

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #295 on: September 18, 2017, 11:08:09 AM »

She goes to church! That means she must be innocent! (Forgetting the fact that she plead guilty to one thing already...)

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #296 on: September 18, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »
I'm so confused.  Why are there concerns about the intern?  Because a thief accused her of lying?

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #297 on: September 18, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »
I'm so confused.  Why are there concerns about the intern?  Because a thief accused her of lying?
As far as I can see, yes.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: September 18, 2017, 03:11:08 PM »
As far as I can see, yes.

I made it through the comments. Consensus seems to be that the OP is irrationally siding with the thief because the thief is someone she's worked with for awhile and the intern isn't, and there are unspecified "other issues" with the intern.

I'm hoping for a follow-up where OP takes her spurious suspicions to management in an attempt to help her thieving friend and gets herself fired for poor judgment.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #299 on: September 18, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »
PTF!