Author Topic: OMG I'm in a free form f'ing panic because the market is TANKING!  (Read 42402 times)

DarinC

• Bristles
Re: OMG I'm in a free form f'ing panic because the market is TANKING!
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »
Love it.

Two ways of viewing the world:

Gypsy!

Wait... what were you saying?

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2014, 07:56:26 PM »
Great news, I'll be opening my first IRA with the minimum deposit of $3000 in a couple of days :-)

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2014, 09:29:37 PM »
Great news, I'll be opening my first IRA with the minimum deposit of $3000 in a couple of days :-)

Congrats!

peace99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2014, 10:07:59 PM »
I started investing in Vanguard in October. Total stock market index and a bond index. I am learning lessons already...

Diversification: I've lost money in the stock index and gained in the bond index (if i would have been 100% stocks i would have lost more)

Market timing: I thought i was investing in a bull market (i still might be) There is no point in me trying to time the market as I havent got a clue what its going to do.

I have a 15+ year investment horizon so I figure the further the stocks go down now the better value they will be when i buy them (I am secretly hoping they are going to tank again so I can by them cheaply)

As a newbie investor I think that there is nothing I can do about the stock market I just need to stick to my investment plan, rebalance when needed, keep reducing spending and work out ways to earn more money (the later one is probably the most beneficial use of my time). In the long term if that approach doesn't work then at least I gave it my best shot.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »
Reading this has been helpful. Going to buy Admiral shares of some Vanguard index funds now and not worry about if I'm catching a falling knife, etc.

God or Mammon?

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2014, 06:14:44 PM »
No congratulatory replies to this thread today about how happy ppl are that stocks are falling?

Dry powder all used up?

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »
No congratulatory replies to this thread today about how happy ppl are that stocks are falling?

Dry powder all used up?

I'm always fascinated by the dry powder concept.  Personally, I max out my HSA and Simple IRA, as well as my Roth IRA, then throw whatever else I can into my taxable account, and keep about 2 months of cash in the bank for a rainy day or emergency.  Do folks specifically have cash set aside for stock buying opportunities that's outside of an 'emergency fund'? If the stock continues to tank, i'll be tempted to throw some of that idle emergency cash into some more total stock market, but then again, that seems to defeat the purpose of the emergency fund. 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:33:13 PM by thepokercab »

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2014, 06:33:37 PM »

Dry powder all used up?

I'm enjoying it! I just hope it holds low long enough for me to get more money in the market. :)

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2014, 06:34:05 PM »
Do folks specifically have cash set aside for stock buying opportunities that's outside of an 'emergency fund'?

Yes.  Not specifically for stocks though.  It's money we have been originally saving to invest in something other than the stock market (side business, land, rentals - don't know yet).  But if particular stocks tank and there is a real buying opportunity, the money will go that direction.   

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »
Do folks specifically have cash set aside for stock buying opportunities that's outside of an 'emergency fund'?

Yes.  Not specifically for stocks though.  It's money we have been originally saving to invest in something other than the stock market (side business, land, rentals - don't know yet).  But if particular stocks tank and there is a real buying opportunity, the money will go that direction.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks. 

God or Mammon?

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2014, 06:40:49 PM »

Dry powder all used up?

I'm always fascinated by the dry powder concept.  Personally, I max out my HSA and Simple IRA, throw whatever else I can into my taxable account, and keep about 2 months of cash in the bank for a rainy day or emergency.  Do folks specifically have cash set aside for stock buying opportunities that's outside of an 'emergency fund'? If the stock continues to tank, i'll be tempted to throw some of that idle emergency cash into some more total stock market, but then again, that seems to defeat the purpose of the emergency fund.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer that one needs a vehicle to generate high real returns over time to be financially independent.

But in order to achieve such returns, there has to be a large subset of ppl who have humility and respect for the market, such that a real risk premium exists in the prices of securities to generate those returns.  When newcomers to investing throw all caution to the wind because of recent history (bull market) without thinking very carefully about prospective returns when the market has historically been at this point of the cycle (broadly speaking) there really is very little risk premium to be had, and maybe it is even negative.

I compare investing to Ebola: if no one or everyone is concerned/fearful, the potential outcomes could be devastating; but a critical mass of the population needs to have real fear and respect for the unknown such that preventive measures are taken - that is the equivalent of risk premium that doesn't really seem to exist in the US equity market recently and is only now starting to exhibit the caution long term investors need to generate significant real returns

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2014, 07:01:45 PM »
Off topic, but to the last post, the current Ebola scare is a good reason to read, watch or listen to absolutely NO Ebola news coverage.

God or Mammon?

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2014, 07:04:58 PM »
Off topic, but to the last post, the current Ebola scare is a good reason to read, watch or listen to absolutely NO Ebola news coverage.

Not if you live in a major metro area and travel frequently (esp international) for work and leisure

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »

Not if you live in a major metro area and travel frequently (esp international) for work and leisure

I'll let others reply to this one. Don't know what a news article or story will do for you. You already know.

God or Mammon?

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2014, 07:22:42 PM »

I
I'll let others reply to this one. Don't know what a news article or story will do for you. You already know.

If everyone were vigilant about washing hands and avoiding traveling to high risk areas (people are going there when they don't need to) the risk to society as a whole diminishes greatly.  Additionally security and health officials monitoring travelers to and from affected areas would reduce the risk.

If an outbreak occurs in a major city that you just happen to be traveling to for vacation, would it affect your decision to go, especially if you were reliant on mass transit and public transportation?  If the answer is even maybe, then would it be prudent to know which areas are affected?

And since you don't follow the news, I would recommend against traveling to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea anytime soon.

surfhb

« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2014, 10:24:51 PM »
Remember when the flu outbreak was going to kill everyone about 6 years ago?

I guarantee no one will remember the name Ebola in a year    *rolleyes*

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2014, 11:42:23 PM »

The flu outbreak did actually kill quite a few (young healthy) people.

I'm in healthcare in a major city. I'm concerned as fuck about Ebola. But there's not a whole lot I can do about it until it happens.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2014, 12:19:45 AM »

Fully agree. The common flu kills tens of thousands a year, but nobody's talking about it. It's all media hype to make people scared and watch more news in order to see more commercials so they can get paid more from their advertisers.

It's really no different than covering the stock market. ;)

I'm in healthcare in a major city. I'm concerned as fuck about Ebola. But there's not a whole lot I can do about it until it happens.

Sounds like the media succeeded! Meanwhile, I'll enjoy not being scared while I'm not able to do anything, and simultaneously being a whole lot happier. :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:22:36 AM by Beric01 »

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2014, 12:25:55 AM »
It's no conspiracy. 

The media shows us this stuff because we are attracted to the horrible and the exotic.  The media is our mirror, no more no less.

Ebola is a frightening narrative, and so it interests us.  But our fascination with the exotic absolutely skews our perception of risk. 

We would be wise to spend our time worrying about heart disease, cancer, COPD, strokes, and accidents.

Alas,  we are not wise.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2014, 12:42:21 AM »
The good thing about lethal viruses is that they kill the host or incapacitates them quickly preventing the host from spreading the disease further.  The most effective virus which kills thousands of people a year is the flu, influenza, it's successful because it's mortality rate is low and the symptoms are mild.  It gives the host enough time to spread it and does not cause society to panic if discovered because of it's low mortality rate.

But yeah don't go to swimming in the Ebola River in the Democratic Republic of the Congo if you don't have to.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2014, 01:38:07 AM »
It's no conspiracy. 

The media shows us this stuff because we are attracted to the horrible and the exotic.  The media is our mirror, no more no less.

Ebola is a frightening narrative, and so it interests us.  But our fascination with the exotic absolutely skews our perception of risk. 

We would be wise to spend our time worrying about heart disease, cancer, COPD, strokes, and accidents.

Alas,  we are not wise.

Add booze to the list. According to the CDC, excess alcohol use leads to approximately 88,000 deaths in the US each year. This one doesn"t lead the 11pm news.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2014, 02:07:01 AM »
It's no conspiracy. 

Alas,  we are not wise.

Add booze to the list. According to the CDC, excess alcohol use leads to approximately 88,000 deaths in the US each year. This one doesn"t lead the 11pm news.

Auto accidents: 30K per year. But oh no, we'll focus on an isolated plane crash and make everyone afraid of flying, even though it's by far the safest form of travel per mile.

God or Mammon?

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2014, 02:25:10 AM »
Ppl seem to be ignoring frequency in the stats as well as ultimate outcome in the event the unlikely occurs

You don't die from a single drink, you die from a lifetime of abuse and overconsumption

The auto accident fatality rate, as a % of actual possible events (times traveled) is quite tiny - even compared to flying (miles per travel?  I don't fly for the trip across town or on my daily commute)

Ppl are being infected from a single instance of exposure, and the result is most likely death.  Even trained health professionals in OECD countries using full protective measures are getting infected - you think you won't get it if you come in random contact with someone who has it 2 months from now as it spreads like wildfire (confirmed cases doubling every 20 days and accelerating)?

If you don't know the facts and are in an area at risk, you are worse than a fool as you can actually dramatically decrease your risk of infection with proper precaution.  The low info diet doesn't include being ignorant about real risks in life.

juuustin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2014, 06:27:06 AM »
Ppl seem to be ignoring frequency in the stats as well as ultimate outcome in the event the unlikely occurs

You don't die from a single drink, you die from a lifetime of abuse and overconsumption

The auto accident fatality rate, as a % of actual possible events (times traveled) is quite tiny - even compared to flying (miles per travel?  I don't fly for the trip across town or on my daily commute)

Ppl are being infected from a single instance of exposure, and the result is most likely death.  Even trained health professionals in OECD countries using full protective measures are getting infected - you think you won't get it if you come in random contact with someone who has it 2 months from now as it spreads like wildfire (confirmed cases doubling every 20 days and accelerating)?

If you don't know the facts and are in an area at risk, you are worse than a fool as you can actually dramatically decrease your risk of infection with proper precaution.  The low info diet doesn't include being ignorant about real risks in life.

In 2 months are you planning on swapping bodily fluids with someone that has recently traveled to West Africa?  The OP doesn't need to know "the facts" (really, you are calling MSM reporting facts?) because the simple hygiene and life choices he is already exercising prevent him from entering into a situation where it is even possible for him to contract the virus. 

God or Mammon?

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2014, 08:11:36 AM »
the science is evolving - experts now think the virus can survive on non-living surfaces for days

so your 'swapping bodily fluids' comment is shortsighted

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2014, 08:47:54 AM »
Because our family income far surpasses our expenses, during drawdowns in my accounts I'll take money out of my emergency fund and put it back into my accounts. Because of the extra monthly windfall I can fill the emergency fund back up pretty quick.

That's my version of 'dry powder.'

Obviously the risk would be that my accounts continue to tank, and one of us loses our jobs and I have to pull money out of the accounts while in the hole.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »

I think the point is that since there've been two confirmed cases of Ebola in the United States to date, if you're reading this you're almost assuredly not in an area at risk.

On the other hand if you're an American your risk of heart disease is not so insignificant.so the person who watches his diet and exercises and drinks a little bit of red wine and uses some form of stress control over long periods of time is likely reducing his risk of premature death.

Whereas the person who stuffs Doritos in his mouth while watching TV news and worrying about catching ebola and terrorist attacks is actually increasing his risk of premature death.

In the end risk is a probability game. Unfortunately we experience it as a horror story telling contest.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2014, 09:19:15 AM »
/ebola

Well this is a bummer. The yo-yo behavior of irrational exuberance continues up this week. A few percent down is not exciting. Is there a way I can get an email alert if it drops >10%, so I don't have to look at the market at all until then?

God or Mammon?

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2014, 10:33:09 AM »
/ebola

Well this is a bummer. The yo-yo behavior of irrational exuberance continues up this week. A few percent down is not exciting. Is there a way I can get an email alert if it drops >10%, so I don't have to look at the market at all until then?

Yes - it's called a limit order

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »
/ebola

Yes - it's called a limit order

I think what he's asking for is more like a "buy trailing limit if touched" order (which is weird enough that appears to be offered only at the more day-traderish brokerages).

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »
/ebola

There are plenty of stock screeners out there that can tell you this. I think you'd just have to find one that will send out an alert when one of the indexes hits 10% or more below it's 52 week high. I'm sure there's some screeners that will do it, but you'd probably have to pay for it.

If your broker has it, then great.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2014, 11:47:52 AM »
Use if this then that.  www.ifttt.com

https://ifttt.com/stocks
https://ifttt.com/channels/stocks/triggers/58-price-drops-below

I mostly use it for sending RSS feeds automatically to my Pocket account, but this is a perfect use case scenario for it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

God or Mammon?

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2014, 09:56:53 AM »

I

And since you don't follow the news, I would recommend against traveling to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea anytime soon.

Might need to add Cleveland to the list (Dallas was already on it)

“At approximately 1:00 a.m. MT on October 15, Frontier was notified by the CDC that a customer traveling on Frontier Airlines flight 1143 Cleveland to Dallas/Fort Worth on Oct. 13 has since tested positive for the Ebola virus. The flight landed in Dallas/Fort Worth at 8:16 p.m. local and remained overnight at the airport having completed its flying for the day at which point the aircraft received a thorough cleaning per our normal procedures which is consistent with CDC guidelines prior to returning to service the next day. It was also cleaned again in Cleveland last night. Previously the customer had traveled from Dallas Fort Worth to Cleveland on Frontier flight 1142 on October 10.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/second-ebola-nurse-was-on-2-flights-and-the-cdc-is-now-looking-for-its-passengers-2014-10#ixzz3GEBFL89c

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2014, 10:23:05 AM »

I

“At approximately 1:00 a.m. MT on October 15, Frontier was notified by the CDC that a customer traveling on Frontier Airlines flight 1143 Cleveland to Dallas/Fort Worth on Oct. 13 has since tested positive for the Ebola virus. The flight landed in Dallas/Fort Worth at 8:16 p.m. local and remained overnight at the airport having completed its flying for the day at which point the aircraft received a thorough cleaning per our normal procedures which is consistent with CDC guidelines prior to returning to service the next day. It was also cleaned again in Cleveland last night. Previously the customer had traveled from Dallas Fort Worth to Cleveland on Frontier flight 1142 on October 10.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/second-ebola-nurse-was-on-2-flights-and-the-cdc-is-now-looking-for-its-passengers-2014-10#ixzz3GEBFL89c

As someone who reads no Ebola news, this is all new information to me.  Last I heard, there was "no way" Ebola could spread in the US.

God or Mammon?

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »

I

As someone who reads no Ebola news, this is all new information to me.  Last I heard, there was "no way" Ebola could spread in the US.

Ya it's pretty bad

You know it's an emergency when...

'President Obama won't be traveling to New Jersey and Connecticut later today, as he had been planning to do. There he was going to raise money for Democrats up for reelection in November. Instead, Obama is going to be hosting Cabinet members for a meeting on Ebola. '

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2014, 11:27:36 AM »
Use if this then that.  www.ifttt.com

https://ifttt.com/stocks
https://ifttt.com/channels/stocks/triggers/58-price-drops-below

I mostly use it for sending RSS feeds automatically to my Pocket account, but this is a perfect use case scenario for it.

Inverse fast fourier transform? Wait, no, slightly wrong acronym. Damn.

juuustin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »
Mammon, you are no better than the MSM when it comes to this.  So we are up to what, 3 cases that were contracted by people that hadn't been to West Africa, yet all of them had been in direct, medical contact with the original host.  There have been dozens of "reported cases" and all of them have been unfounded.  And it sounds like the medical workers who contracted it just weren't very good at their jobs/did not have proper training.  Sensationalism at its finest.

God or Mammon?

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »
/ebola

your wish came true

down 10% from the high

time to pile in

God or Mammon?

• Stubble
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »
Mammon, you are no better than the MSM when it comes to this.  So we are up to what, 3 cases that were contracted by people that hadn't been to West Africa, yet all of them had been in direct, medical contact with the original host.  There have been dozens of "reported cases" and all of them have been unfounded.  And it sounds like the medical workers who contracted it just weren't very good at their jobs/did not have proper training.  Sensationalism at its finest.

You don't have to pay attention at all or care for that matter....as long as you don't travel or come into contact with a lot of people in enclosed places (e.g. subway).  And you aren't required to even in those instances if you don't value your well-being.

Otherwise, seems to me knowing which areas are affected seems prudent in at least knowing places to avoid.

Think of it this way: how miserable will your life be if you just happen to be on a flight with someone with Ebola and you are 'tracked' or 'monitored' by our fine government officials for weeks on end?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2014, 11:45:36 AM »
wow, this is the ebola thread now? I really don't give a shit about ebola, any more than I care about ISIS or any other news network/government scare of the week. "we're doing something, we're saving you! Vote for us"

In other news the S&P is down almost 3% today. Nice.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »
wow, this is the ebola thread now? I really don't give a shit about ebola, any more than I care about ISIS or any other news network/government scare of the week. "we're doing something, we're saving you! Vote for us"

Oh no!  This joke thread is now completely derailed by actual discussion of current events.  NOOOOOOOOO!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »
Enough with the Ebola discussion - please start another thread if you really need to discuss that topic.  Back to original thread would be great, especially given that the market is down up 7.56% for the year.  Oh, we are talking shorter term - okay - down 2.3% right now.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
down 10% from the high

time to pile in

Maybe - depends on which benchmark you're looking at.  S&P 500 needs to drop below 1810 to be down 10% from its high (currently in the 1830 range at the moment) but I realize NASDAQ already right at approximately 10% down and the Russel 2000 is at what, -14% or something?  I actually just started buying in on Monday and am still trying to make up my mind if I want to do my next buy-in today or wait it out to see if this is part of an even bigger decline.

HappyRock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »
incredible fluctuations today almost -400 dow earlier... and i have no cash to invest :(

wonder how low it will go
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:43:26 PM by InvestFourMoreMMM »

Loud Noises

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2014, 12:15:35 PM »
I just had my final Roth IRA transfer of the year hit my account today and I am pumped!  "Worst day for markets in 3 years" was the headline I saw on CNBC.  I know, I know, market timing and all that... but I sure am glad I put it to work NOW instead of when it was 10% more expensive!  I set both # of shares and $$ amount goals for my year end balances... while the year end balance will remain to be seen, today has enabled me to have more shares than I expected and that makes me happy.

I keep a pretty simple VTI/VEU portfolio and snagged some VEU right at the 52 week low.  I suppose I am market timing, but I got a better deal today than yesterday.  Which is what frugality is all about!

juuustin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »
Enough with the Ebola discussion - please start another thread if you really need to discuss that topic.  Back to original thread would be great, especially given that the market is down up 7.56% for the year.  Oh, we are talking shorter term - okay - down 2.3% right now.

Up 7.56%?  S&P erased all YTD gains today and is now down 0.79% as of this moment.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »
Oh no!  This joke thread is now completely derailed by actual discussion of current events.  NOOOOOOOOO!

I think the problem is that this is a thread about not watching the markets, and people are ruining it about talking about the markets.

.... oh great, and now I'm subscribed.... OH NOOOOOOOOOOOes!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:23:06 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »

I think the problem is that this is a thread about not watching the markets, and people are ruining it about talking about the markets.

.... oh great, and now I'm subscribed.... OH NOOOOOOOOOOOes!
well yes and no. I'm going to put money in anyway (payday on friday for one thing..) so we're just hoping it keeps going down. And currently rejoicing together.. At least those of us who are >10 years from retirement.

There's also been some discussion about deploying emergency funds and yes that is market timing. Personally I think it's too early, it's only at the level it was Jan 1 for one thing. But if we see a large drop I might convince myself a smaller cash reserve would be ok. And that's probably not the worst decision you could make, unless you suddenly need that money I guess.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2014, 12:36:55 PM »
/ebola

your wish came true

down 10% from the high

time to pile in

Well, it looks like I'm at least "lucky" this week. My 401k paycheck money will be going in tomorrow at a low for once (instead of HIGH for the day, followed by immediate crash) considering the dump the markets taken. I finally went over the $17,500 normal, and am starting the $5,500 "catchup" contributions for the next 6 paychecks.

Oh, and by the way, I'm less than 2 months away from my 56th birthday, so I AM only about 10 years away from "real" retirement... I need another $300k in my stash to be safe..
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:48:10 PM by MikeBear »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »
With sentiment this low I would brace for more carnage ahead. That being said I welcome the drop and have increased 401k contribution % by 5% last week.

I just feel bad for those in my parents shoes who are a few years away from normal age retirement and have most of their net worth in equities.