Author Topic: Old Bernie is Running  (Read 36024 times)

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
Old Bernie is Running
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
Bernie Sanders announced he was running for president today.  I like some of what Bernie says.  What does he want to do?

- Change health care so that it is no longer fully privatized to give the government a leading role like in other countries

- Give people much better access to education

- Have a living minimum wage

- Fix crumbling infrastructure like bad roads and bridges ready to collapse

- Tax the rich and probably feed the poor.  He doesn't like billionaires and big powerful corporations

- I think he wants less military expenditures as well and eliminate some of these foreign wars

So, what would a Bernie president mean for mustachianism.  I think the health care thing would be quite good myself.  Taxes would go up but premiums may be almost nonexistent.  Of course even if he won, he wouldn't get all of this stuff.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
Re: Old Bernie is Running
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 08:56:35 AM »
Thread title is apt. He will be 79 years old at the time of the 2020 election. He needs to step down.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 09:18:29 AM »
Old Bernie the independent, who only joins the Democratic party when it's convenient for him.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 09:19:04 AM »
Health care comprises such an overwhelming percentage of our budget that taxes are basically a rounding error. Anyone who supports universal healthcare will get my vote. Is Bernie the best candidate to do it? Not in my estimation, but if the primary voters think that he is, then I'll vote for him in the general election.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »
Ok, now that he's in, might as well jump the shark and *really* go for it. Pick AOC for VP Bern. I dare ya!

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 10:11:03 AM »
Anyone who supports universal healthcare will get my vote.

Andrew Yang. He was on the Joe Rogan podcast recently. I don't like Joe Rogan, but these podcasts are long, so this one and the Elon Musk one were pretty cool.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 11:01:46 AM »
Pick AOC for VP Bern. I dare ya!

She's not old enough.  You need to be 35 to be President or Vice President, she's 29 currently.  On the other hand, his age means that his VP pick is a bit more important than usual.

As much as I'll probably regret the next few years of notifications from posting in this thread, given the interest in outsiders for the last election (both Sanders and Trump represented "not business as usual", Clinton represented "Absolutely more of the same"), I think he stands a decent chance this goround - assuming he survives the primaries.  Literally as well as politically.

He also will likely get a very soft touch from the DNC after last election's proven shenanigans, which will help him a lot.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 03:18:38 PM »
We had too few people running in 2016, and now there are so many that I fear they will cannibalize each other, or it will be too late to coalesce around the nominee if the primaries drag on.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 05:34:36 PM »
As much as I'll probably regret the next few years of notifications from posting in this thread....
You can use "Notify" instead of "Show new replies" to get around that problem. :)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 05:40:59 PM »
This is why we will get 8 years of Trump.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 05:45:28 PM »
Pick AOC for VP Bern. I dare ya!

She's not old enough.  You need to be 35 to be President or Vice President, she's 29 currently.  On the other hand, his age means that his VP pick is a bit more important than usual.

D'oh, shoulda looked up her age.  And fricken A what the heck am I doing with my life?  Feels weird that a person who wasn't even in high school yet when I graduated is part of running the country.  The kids are flexing their muscles, there's hope yet for this country!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 05:00:21 AM »

agreed!

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 07:19:09 AM »

agreed!

Yup. Guaranteed there are some ties to Russia-backed organizations like the Sparts in his background. Nobody has dumped oppo on him yet.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 02:02:18 PM »
No more Hillary and no more Bernie. No more DJT either. Today would be too long to get rid of Trump and Pence in my book.

Let's please have someone a little younger with perhaps a good, wise older VP to help them along. More centrist or moderate.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 03:37:07 PM »
I want Joe Biden to run both because he has excellent experience and because the stories from The Onion would be outstanding. *cranks up some Whitesnake*

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »
Why was his campaign manager involved with Paul Manafort?

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 04:40:31 PM »

agreed!

Yup. Guaranteed there are some ties to Russia-backed organizations like the Sparts in his background. Nobody has dumped oppo on him yet.

~

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 02:17:08 PM »
Doesn't look like there are too many fans of old Bernie here.  Somebody must like him.  I read he got 6 million in donations soon after he declared he was running.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 02:20:51 PM »
I like him fine. I voted for him in the 2016 primary. He's served a useful role in bringing universal healthcare into mainstream conversations. However, I don't think he's the right person for the presidency and I won't be voting for him in the 2020 primary.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 03:09:38 PM »
  Of course even if he won, he wouldn't get all of this stuff.

I don't think he'd get any of it.  For as long as he's been in office, he has remarkably little in terms of legislation that's passed to his name and when asked how he'd get this super liberal stuff through a Republican Senate, which is gonna be a thing for AWHILE,  the response was something like 'groundswell of grassroots activism'. Erm. K.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:17:18 PM by asiljoy »

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »
Doesn't look like there are too many fans of old Bernie here.  Somebody must like him.  I read he got 6 million in donations soon after he declared he was running.

He has a lot of support from the sort of people who don't realize that Benny is the hero of the musical "Rent".

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 08:15:40 AM »
Bernie Sanders announced he was running for president today.  I like some of what Bernie says.  What does he want to do?

- Change health care so that it is no longer fully privatized to give the government a leading role like in other countries

- Give people much better access to education

- Have a living minimum wage

- Fix crumbling infrastructure like bad roads and bridges ready to collapse

- Tax the rich and probably feed the poor.  He doesn't like billionaires and big powerful corporations

- I think he wants less military expenditures as well and eliminate some of these foreign wars

So, what would a Bernie president mean for mustachianism.  I think the health care thing would be quite good myself.  Taxes would go up but premiums may be almost nonexistent.  Of course even if he won, he wouldn't get all of this stuff.

A couple of misrepresentations here.
1. He does NOT want to have the government take control of health care. He wants universal health insurance. Look at countries like England and Canada. Healthcare is private. The funding of healthcare is a government entitlement.
2. Regarding taxing the rich. Do you disagree with virtually every scholar that there is an ever increasing wealth gap in this country? This has been going on since the 70s and is worse in America than in any other country; countries that also have billionaires too!

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 08:17:16 AM »
Old Bernie the independent, who only joins the Democratic party when it's convenient for him.

We gonna act like the system isn’t rigged by the two parties to prevent third party candidates from competing? We’re you not alive in 2016 as the Democratic Party lubed up Bern’s anus and f*cked him in that spot?

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »
Ok, now that he's in, might as well jump the shark and *really* go for it. Pick AOC for VP Bern. I dare ya!

He couldn’t do that if he wanted to. An VP candidate must also be qualified to be president. As she is 29 years of age, she would not qualify. It’s the same reason a former president who already served two terms cannot be a VP, like Obama or Bush. You probably should’ve paid attention in high school government class.

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 08:21:14 AM »
Anyone who supports universal healthcare will get my vote.

Andrew Yang. He was on the Joe Rogan podcast recently. I don't like Joe Rogan, but these podcasts are long, so this one and the Elon Musk one were pretty cool.

Word.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 08:24:14 AM »

We gonna act like the system isn’t rigged by the two parties to prevent third party candidates from competing? We’re you not alive in 2016 as the Democratic Party lubed up Bern’s anus and f*cked him in that spot?

Old Bernie the independent, who only joins the Democratic party when it’s convenient for him.

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 08:44:48 AM »

Old Bernie the independent, who only joins the Democratic party when it’s convenient for him.

I’m pretty sure I addressed that. Take a look at the history of third party candidates. Years ago the Dems and Republican bastards teamed up to make it difficult for independent candidates to raise money and be competitive. He is using the system to get his message out.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 08:46:36 AM »

I’m pretty sure I addressed that. Take a look at the history of third party candidates. Years ago the Dems and Republican bastards teamed up to make it difficult for independent candidates to raise money and be competitive. He is using the system to get his message out.

Maybe if he was an actual Democrat, the party would have been more interested in backing his candidacy.

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 08:56:58 AM »

Maybe if he was an actual Democrat, the party would have been more interested in backing his candidacy.

The republican bastards had non problem backing Trump, who was a registered democrat until 2009.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 08:58:39 AM »

The republican bastards had non problem backing Trump, who was a registered democrat until 2009.

Well, they did... until they realized they didn’t have a choice.

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 09:14:21 AM »

There were 17 candidates in the 2016 Republican primary. I’d say they had a choice. They did. And as is the Republican way, they like to make the wrong one.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 09:22:21 AM »

There were 17 candidates in the 2016 Republican primary. I’d say they had a choice. They did. And as is the Republican way, they like to make the wrong one.

The party didn’t want him. But the people forced their hand.

And as much as Trump is disgusting in every way, he did win. So whether he was the wrong choice? I guess you’d have to ask the RNC about that.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:27:05 AM by Kris »

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 10:27:16 AM »

And as much as Trump is disgusting in every way, he did win. So whether he was the wrong choice? I guess you’d have to ask the RNC about that.

Just totally destroyed your argument that the party didn’t have a choice and you respond with a lie about him winning! LOL. He wakes up everyday with the realization that the majority of Americans voted for Hillary. You’re fake news man. #fakeassnews

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2019, 10:40:23 AM »
He wakes up everyday with the realization that the majority of Americans voted for Hillary. You’re fake news man. #fakeassnews

He wakes up in the White House, with the title President of the United States of America.  I think he can live with that.

There were 17 candidates in the 2016 Republican primary.

Democrats are looking pretty close to that this year... so we'll see if they manage the same sort of insanity.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2019, 11:23:07 AM »
Capitalism has treated me too well for Sanders to be my first choice in the primary. I'd still take him over Trump in a heartbeat.

I hate that I have to say this, but the fact that he's an old white dude should help his electability in the general election. We saw in 2016 that a lot of men simply aren't willing to vote for a woman over a man, probably more than enough to have made the difference in the election. If the candidates are on an even playing field demographics-wise, maybe the policy differences can come to the forefront.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2019, 12:35:43 PM »

Just totally destroyed your argument that the party didn’t have a choice and you respond with a lie about him winning! LOL. He wakes up everyday with the realization that the majority of Americans voted for Hillary. You’re fake news man. #fakeassnews

You... are kind of a troll.

The party didn’t want him. They weren’t really able to stop him from being the nominee, though.

And that “he didn’t win” thing? You really sound like you think you owned me. But, to disappoint you, I had heard of the electoral college before this conversation. And I am aware Hillary got more votes. That doesn’t mean she won, now, does it?

And  not to defend Trump, but he did at least join the Republican Party prior to launching his campaign. Bernie never did become a Democrat, but still expected them to give him money, infrastructure, and support. And now, four years later, he still hasn’t joined the party and he wants their money, infrastructure and support again.

Regardless of what I think of his policy ideas, I have really started to sour on him as a person. Bernie seems to care about Bernie.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:37:31 PM by Kris »

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
He wakes up everyday with the realization that the majority of Americans voted for Hillary. You’re fake news man. #fakeassnews

He wakes up in the White House, with the title President of the United States of America.  I think he can live with that.

There were 17 candidates in the 2016 Republican primary.

Democrats are looking pretty close to that this year... so we'll see if they manage the same sort of insanity.

Fake news

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2019, 12:52:39 PM »
Capitalism has treated me too well for Sanders to be my first choice in the primary. I'd still take him over Trump in a heartbeat.

I hate that I have to say this, but the fact that he's an old white dude should help his electability in the general election. We saw in 2016 that a lot of men simply aren't willing to vote for a woman over a man, probably more than enough to have made the difference in the election. If the candidates are on an even playing field demographics-wise, maybe the policy differences can come to the forefront.

Bernie is a capitalist. Know your candidates positions before you misrepresent them please.

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2019, 12:54:24 PM »

The party didn’t want him. They weren’t really able to stop him from being the nominee, though.

And that “he didn’t win” thing? You really sound like you think you owned me. But, to disappoint you, I had heard of the electoral college before this conversation. And I am aware Hillary got more votes. That doesn’t mean she won, now, does it?

And  not to defend Trump, but he did at least join the Republican Party prior to launching his campaign. Bernie never did become a Democrat, but still expected them to give him money, infrastructure, and support. And now, four years later, he still hasn’t joined the party and he wants their money, infrastructure and support again.

Regardless of what I think of his policy ideas, I have really started to sour on him as a person. Bernie seems to care about Bernie.

Troll? I prove you wrong and you resort to name-calling? Real mature.
The party couldn’t stop him from being the nominee? You mean like the party couldn’t stop Bernie from being the Democratic nominee? Oh, wait....
Call me some more names, please. Just shows you have no argument.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »

The party couldn’t stop him from being the nominee? You mean like the party couldn’t stop Bernie from being the Democratic nominee? Oh, wait....

You know they’re different parties, right? With different structures?

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »

Straw man. Both parties have the power to sabotage any candidate’s campaign. I just proved that beyond all conceivable doubts.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2019, 02:02:53 PM »

Straw man. Both parties have the power to sabotage any candidate’s campaign. I just proved that beyond all conceivable doubts.

You remind me of that saying about never playing chess with a pigeon.

But hey, go crazy. You are the masterfullest arguer who ever argued.

Enjoy.

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2019, 03:04:21 PM »

You remind me of that saying about never playing chess with a pigeon.

But hey, go crazy. You are the masterfullest arguer who ever argued.

Enjoy.

No. Not at all. But you have no rebuttal to my points.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2019, 04:53:02 PM »
Please, nest the quotes a bit deeper...

Rasputin

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 05:18:32 PM »

I think they add an artistic flare to my unbeatable debate skills.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »

He couldn’t do that if he wanted to. An VP candidate must also be qualified to be president. As she is 29 years of age, she would not qualify. It’s the same reason a former president who already served two terms cannot be a VP, like Obama or Bush. You probably should’ve paid attention in high school government class.

Yeah thanks for the history lesson "teach." Maybe you can go brush up on reading comprehension, I assumed she was old enough to be able to serve as president.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2019, 08:06:37 PM »

If there is ever a day when AOC is running for VP or POTUS I think I will become a political activist and spend my time trying to convince people not to vote for her. God help us all.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2019, 09:02:05 PM »

Bernie is a capitalist. Know your candidates positions before you misrepresent them please.

I know that Sanders calls himself a socialist. I have read his platform, at least in the previous election. Compared to the status quo, the policy changes he has proposed are generally intended to move the US more in a socialist direction. Is he Karl Marx incarnate? No. Is he Ayn Rand incarnate? Definitely not.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2019, 11:51:26 PM »

Thank you for saying what everyone was thinking. 

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2019, 07:51:42 AM »
I'm going to pass on Bernie.  The policies he advocates are worthy of discussion, but I don't care for his personality.  Elizabeth Warren would be a better choice.  I also like Kamala Harris a lot too.