Author Topic: Oh, Florida!!! Covid19 Response  (Read 108407 times)

Blue82

• Stubble
Re: Oh, Florida!!! Covid19 Response
« Reply #650 on: March 09, 2022, 10:41:53 AM »
Anyone else having extreme WTF Florida moments?

Between the notices that went out to Florida businesses from the Florida Department of Health a couple of weeks ago saying telling businesses to stop requiring masks and stating was no clinical benefit to masks for most people and the announcement the other day that the state is actively recommending that children don’t get vaxxed against COVID, I want to flee the state.  WTF!?!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #651 on: March 09, 2022, 10:59:18 AM »
Anyone else having extreme WTF Florida moments?

Between the notices that went out to Florida businesses from the Florida Department of Health a couple of weeks ago saying telling businesses to stop requiring masks and stating was no clinical benefit to masks for most people and the announcement the other day that the state is actively recommending that children don’t get vaxxed against COVID, I want to flee the state.  WTF!?!

Why is the state recommending that?

Blue82

• Stubble
« Reply #652 on: March 09, 2022, 11:01:57 AM »
Why?  From my opinion it’s because DeSantis thinks it will help his political prospects in 2024…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/03/07/florida-surgeon-general-opposes-childrens-covid-vaccines/

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #653 on: March 09, 2022, 11:06:36 AM »
Why?  From my opinion it’s because DeSantis thinks it will help his political prospects in 2024…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/03/07/florida-surgeon-general-opposes-childrens-covid-vaccines/

Yeah, it's clearly that. His base and Trump's base are largely comprised of #covidiots. He needs to do stuff that will out-Trump Trump and keep him in the spotlight with those voters.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #654 on: March 09, 2022, 11:30:26 AM »

I'm surprised the Florida state legislature hasn't proposed simply renaming the state "Trump."

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #655 on: March 09, 2022, 12:24:49 PM »
It's interesting though... the entire USA is essentially slowly adapting to what what Florida has been criticized for this whole time.  Dropping mask mandates in school's and public places, eliminating all restrictions, loosening vaccine requirements, etc.  And this is all happening while people are still dying from covid at an alarming rate (yes, even an alarming amount of fully vaccinated)... it seems like the US is basically doing what Republicans wanted from the beginning.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #656 on: March 09, 2022, 12:32:54 PM »
It's interesting though... the entire USA is essentially slowly adapting to what what Florida has been criticized for this whole time.  Dropping mask mandates in school's and public places, eliminating all restrictions, loosening vaccine requirements, etc.  And this is all happening while people are still dying from covid at an alarming rate (yes, even an alarming amount of fully vaccinated)... it seems like the US is basically doing what Republicans wanted from the beginning.

Well, most of the country's state leaders aren't promoting alternative cures such as ivermectin or hydroxychloroquine (as the FL Surgeon General did in DC with "America's Frontline Doctors") but fatigue has definitely arrived.

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #657 on: March 09, 2022, 12:53:17 PM »

That's like giving kudos to the stock analysts who say SELL, SELL, SELL or BUY, BUY, BUY at exactly the wrong time. Timing matters. If you can't tell the difference, I'm not going to waste my time arguing about it.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #658 on: March 09, 2022, 01:19:35 PM »

That's like giving kudos to the stock analysts who say SELL, SELL, SELL or BUY, BUY, BUY at exactly the wrong time. Timing matters. If you can't tell the difference, I'm not going to waste my time arguing about it.

But isn’t FL pretty mid-pack as far as Covid results go?  You’d have a point if their results were far worse than the more cautious states, but since they aren’t, doesn’t it mean FL is kinda…right?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #659 on: March 09, 2022, 01:25:14 PM »

But isn’t FL pretty mid-pack as far as Covid results go?  You’d have a point if their results were far worse than the more cautious states, but since they aren’t, doesn’t it mean FL is kinda…right?

Florida is 18 out of 50, per population deaths.  The blue states above it all have large cities, which were hard hit. They are also northern, so more indoor things going on part of the year. So a blue state like CA ends up 39/50 because they have the better weather and better protections.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #660 on: March 09, 2022, 01:28:20 PM »

1 in every 300 Floridians has died from covid.

"right"

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #661 on: March 09, 2022, 01:34:32 PM »

Florida is 18 out of 50, per population deaths.  The blue states above it all have large cities, which were hard hit. They are also northern, so more indoor things going on part of the year. So a blue state like CA ends up 39/50 because they have the better weather and better protections.

Adjust that for age. Covid deaths hit old people much much harder and FL is an old state (#2 behind Maine).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #662 on: March 09, 2022, 01:35:08 PM »

"right"

Oh look, a metric with zero context for basis of comparison.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #663 on: March 09, 2022, 01:38:25 PM »

"right"

That's roughly the same rate as the US total.

Edit: I'm not defending Florida's government on Covid policy, just pointing out that this is a bad argument. Covid outcomes in relation to policy is a complex topic. The number of deaths is not the whole story. In other words it doesn't prove either side was right, especially not when the death rate is fairly average.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 02:00:24 PM by Davnasty »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #664 on: March 09, 2022, 01:56:34 PM »
We still haven't got to a point where we can say whether or not DeSantis made the best decisions.  We do know that he made public health decisions based upon political tribalism, popularity contests, and not by listening to the the majority of public health practitioners or available scientific evidence.  He also has worked hard during this pandemic to suppress information related to Florida's real death count.

It's kinda like firing a gun into a crowd with your eyes closed.  Maybe nobody will die.  Maybe you'll even hit the next Hitler and the world will be a better place!  Like I said, time will tell whether or not DeSantis got away with it.  But it's really hard to make a case that his actions to date haven't been reckless.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #665 on: March 09, 2022, 02:15:13 PM »
We still haven't got to a point where we can say whether or not DeSantis made the best decisions.  We do know that he made public health decisions based upon political tribalism, popularity contests, and not by listening to the the majority of public health practitioners or available scientific evidence.  He also has worked hard during this pandemic to suppress information related to Florida's real death count.

It's kinda like firing a gun into a crowd with your eyes closed.  Maybe nobody will die.  Maybe you'll even hit the next Hitler and the world will be a better place!  Like I said, time will tell whether or not DeSantis got away with it.  But it's really hard to make a case that his actions to date haven't been reckless.

What?  No, it’s nothing like that. To say his actions are like shooting a gun into a crowd is to ignore, as one side has done, all of the myriad of downsides of locking people away, shutting down the economy, crushing small businesses, damage to children and their education and their mental health, and the mental health of millions of people, and pretending that maximum Covid paranoia was the only just action. You can debate whether you think all of those things were justified in trying to minimize Covid, but you cannot pretend that none of them exist, which is what your analogy has done. The “follow the science” crowd spent too much of 2020-2022 pretending that there was only one kind of science “how to stop Covid” and zero side effects of those policies. Purely by the numbers it appears DeSantis weighed the other side of those policies more heavily and didn’t suffer any more than most other states as a result.

sailinlight

• Bristles
« Reply #666 on: March 09, 2022, 02:25:21 PM »

What?  No, it’s nothing like that. To say his actions are like shooting a gun into a crowd is to ignore, as one side has done, all of the myriad of downsides of locking people away, shutting down the economy, crushing small businesses, damage to children and their education and their mental health, and the mental health of millions of people, and pretending that maximum Covid paranoia was the only just action. You can debate whether you think all of those things were justified in trying to minimize Covid, but you cannot pretend that none of them exist, which is what your analogy has done. The “follow the science” crowd spent too much of 2020-2022 pretending that there was only one kind of science “how to stop Covid” and zero side effects of those policies. Purely by the numbers it appears DeSantis weighed the other side of those policies more heavily and didn’t suffer any more than most other states as a result.
Additionally considering the massive influx of people moving into Florida and out of California, I'd say there are a lot of people who agree with those types of policies.

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #667 on: March 09, 2022, 03:06:16 PM »

Additionally considering the massive influx of people moving into Florida and out of California, I'd say there are a lot of people who agree with those types of policies.

Also a booming tourism industry that people were flocking to from all over the country because Florida was open for business. Couple that with an old population, the science would say Florida should be far worse than any other state.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #668 on: March 09, 2022, 03:21:35 PM »

I don't agree with the analogy either, but no one that mattered was completely ignoring the downsides.

Cost/benefit analyses were happening at every stage of the pandemic, at all levels of government. That doesn't mean they always got it right or that bias didn't play a role in decisions but If you think the downsides were ignored, you're probably getting your information from right wing outrage media. Your all-or-nothing language sounds like it's coming straight from the talking heads of Fox News.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #669 on: March 09, 2022, 03:29:26 PM »

I don't agree with the analogy either, but no one that mattered was completely ignoring the downsides.

Cost/benefit analyses were happening at every stage of the pandemic, at all levels of government. That doesn't mean they always got it right or that bias didn't play a role in decisions but If you think the downsides were ignored, you're probably getting your information from right wing outrage media. Your all-or-nothing language sounds like it's coming straight from the talking heads of Fox News.

I don’t watch any traditional media. But I also saw zero indication from anyone it was being considered beyond lip service, at least not here in Chicagoland. The “science” was completely tilted towards “ ‘beat’ Covid at all costs”.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #670 on: March 09, 2022, 04:07:33 PM »

DeSantis is recommending against Covid vaccination for kids.  All available medical evidence indicates that vaccination reduces severity of outcomes in people who contract covid.

Recommending against vaccination doesn't involve "locking people away, shutting down the economy, crushing small businesses, damage to children and their education and their mental health, and the mental health of millions of people" . . . so which policy is DeSantis carefully weighing and considering to make that recommendation exactly?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #671 on: March 09, 2022, 04:13:14 PM »

DeSantis is recommending against Covid vaccination for kids.  All available medical evidence indicates that vaccination reduces severity of outcomes in people who contract covid.

Recommending against vaccination doesn't involve "locking people away, shutting down the economy, crushing small businesses, damage to children and their education and their mental health, and the mental health of millions of people" . . . so which policy is DeSantis carefully weighing and considering to make that recommendation exactly?

Ahh it’s the old guitarStv goal post shift.

That recommendation came out in the last day or two. On the heels of news that a study found the vaccine isn’t very effective for kids 5-11 anyways. 

Now I’m not going to defend the right’s extreme vaccine hesitancy because I think it’s dumb and ill-founded.

But that isn’t what we were talking about, we were talking about DeSantis’s refusal to shut down his economy, his schools, and make performance theater (mask wearing) mandatory for climbing out of bed every day. So you can answer that if you’d like, or you can visibly  try to steer the conversation in a direction that’s more advantageous to your argument but isn’t what we were discussing.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #672 on: March 09, 2022, 06:07:42 PM »

Ahh it’s the old guitarStv goal post shift.

I haven't shifted any goal posts.  DeSantis' recommendation against vaccination was where this thread of conversation started (see post #653).

That recommendation came out in the last day or two. On the heels of news that a study found the vaccine isn’t very effective for kids 5-11 anyways. 

I feel like you didn't read that study.  The vaccine is effective for kids . . . they believe that the dose currently being given out may be slightly too low for children 5-11 to receive full benefit.

Of course, that's also a non-peer approved study.

In what world does that lead to a policy of non-vaccination and make any kind of sense?

Now I’m not going to defend the right’s extreme vaccine hesitancy because I think it’s dumb and ill-founded.

But that isn’t what we were talking about, we were talking about DeSantis’s refusal to shut down his economy, his schools, and make performance theater (mask wearing) mandatory for climbing out of bed every day. So you can answer that if you’d like, or you can visibly  try to steer the conversation in a direction that’s more advantageous to your argument but isn’t what we were discussing.

As mentioned, the conversation started by talking about DeSantis' current actions.  But sure, if you want to talk about his previous actions . . . he has taken risks with other people's lives for what certainly appeared to me to be political expediency at the time*.  All the data isn't in, but it seems that he may have gotten away with it - Florida's response isn't significantly more terrible that the US on the whole (which was pretty bad overall).

His current actions only seem to lend credence to my belief about political expediency though.

*This appears to be separate from the discussion of other factors impacting people, from economic impact / mental health / children's education.  These are certainly important points, and there have been many debates and discussions regarding where the best place to draw the line is.  Certainly, in North America they were always under consideration . . . if they weren't we would have had real lockdowns (can't leave your home), significant travel restrictions (can't leave the country / state / city), or serious quarantine measures (infected people are isolated and monitored in medical bunkers the way that China is currently doing).  Opening schools and getting kids into classrooms was certainly a priority around here, as was expanding health care for mental illness and a whole host of small business loans/grants and special programs.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #673 on: March 09, 2022, 06:22:20 PM »
It's almost like this is a very complex issue involving a lot of different variables that aren't easily boiled down to "freedom."

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #674 on: March 10, 2022, 06:22:31 AM »
It's almost like this is a very complex issue involving a lot of different variables that aren't easily boiled down to (political) science.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Oh, Florida!!! Covid19 Response
« Reply #675 on: March 10, 2022, 06:35:26 AM »
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 06:39:09 AM by elaine amj »

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #676 on: March 10, 2022, 06:52:36 AM »
The discussion does not make a whole lot of sense. I live in North Florida and I can report that DeSantis is a total windbag and all he did was creating a very unpleasant environment.
The issue is that Covid mitigation was a primarily local business and the state took over responsibilities over time and prohibitited more and more local efforts. However,  a lot of places did not comply and measures actually stayed in place.
The deep red counties in the area, where DeSantis is very popular and people get their medical advice from the guy, were hit very hard.
Here are the Florida facts in a nutshell: early aggressive vaccinations in the institutionalized elderly, high vaccination rates in the elderly overall, a favorable climate with outdoor activities year round, noncompliance with DeSantis aggressive interference (with the exception of the deep red areas).
Public health is best managed at the local level and DeSantis has initiated and passed legislation making public health local policies a state matter.
The damage these policies could do will not be apparent until the next pandemic.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #677 on: March 10, 2022, 07:34:51 AM »
The discussion does not make a whole lot of sense. I live in North Florida and I can report that DeSantis is a total windbag and all he did was creating a very unpleasant environment.
The issue is that Covid mitigation was a primarily local business and the state took over responsibilities over time and prohibitited more and more local efforts. However,  a lot of places did not comply and measures actually stayed in place.
The deep red counties in the area, where DeSantis is very popular and people get their medical advice from the guy, were hit very hard.
Here are the Florida facts in a nutshell: early aggressive vaccinations in the institutionalized elderly, high vaccination rates in the elderly overall, a favorable climate with outdoor activities year round, noncompliance with DeSantis aggressive interference (with the exception of the deep red areas).
Public health is best managed at the local level and DeSantis has initiated and passed legislation making public health local policies a state matter.
The damage these policies could do will not be apparent until the next pandemic.
Yes to all this.

I live in Pinellas County, which is the most densely populated county in Florida and one of the biggest tourism/snowbird destinations. The county took extraordinary measures early on in the pandemic and was largely spared from the first wave... until the state government took away all local control.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #678 on: March 10, 2022, 08:38:33 AM »
Here are the Florida facts in a nutshell: early aggressive vaccinations in the institutionalized elderly, high vaccination rates in the elderly overall,

Except “vaccinate and take care of the at risk/elderly and leave everyone else alone” has been the suggested strategy on the right for a long time now.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #679 on: March 10, 2022, 08:47:45 AM »
It's almost like this is a very complex issue involving a lot of different variables that aren't easily boiled down to (political) science.

Better said, thanks.

Claiming that DeSantis navigated the correct route through the pandemic ignores any benefits that Florida had (and being 18th in death rate is below average so why are we singing its praises?).

If anything, we should be praising Utah's and Vermont's strategies -- they both had low death rates and low unemployment. The Vermont Surgeon General never encouraged the use of alternative drugs over the vaccine either.

hooplady

• Stubble
« Reply #680 on: March 10, 2022, 08:50:11 AM »
For all of you saying that Florida's death rates aren't that bad compared to other states, don't discount the tourism factor. Unlike Vegas, what happens in Florida DOESN'T stay here - it goes home to the rest of y'all. Q4-2021 alone was 29 million visitors. You're welcome!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #681 on: March 10, 2022, 09:01:23 AM »

Claiming that DeSantis navigated the correct route through the pandemic ignores any benefits that Florida had (and being 18th in death rate is below average so why are we singing its praises?).

It’s a mid pack death rate for a dense (7th) and old (2nd) state with lots of tourism. Given those risk factors they should have done much worse.

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #682 on: March 10, 2022, 09:20:52 AM »

It’s a mid pack death rate for a dense (7th) and old (2nd) state with lots of tourism. Given those risk factors they should have done much worse.

Oh, rose colored glasses!

Did you know that Florida doesn't count Covid deaths if the folks who die are non-residents? So you can live there 179 days of the year (like many snow birds), happen to catch Covid AND die of Covid in Florida, and this still won't be counted. Do you think that effects the numbers?

California is pretty dense and also has tons of tourism... Did they do better than Florida? Maryland and DC are both much more dense than Florida, and did much better than Florida per any measure.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: March 10, 2022, 09:25:47 AM »

"right"

Oh look, a metric with zero context for basis of comparison.

You're one to talk.  Florida's position was to do nothing through both Delta and Omicron. 

The rest of the U.S. is now dropping mask mandates (and vax mandates, in some cases) only after the worst of Omicron has passed.  Timing matters here, yet you seem to want to ignore it.

Things change in a pandemic, often quickly.  Reacting to new data and adjusting measures that fit the new data set does not validate Florida's strategy of "do nothing."  Come on, now.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #684 on: March 10, 2022, 09:35:10 AM »
Here are the Florida facts in a nutshell: early aggressive vaccinations in the institutionalized elderly, high vaccination rates in the elderly overall,

Except “vaccinate and take care of the at risk/elderly and leave everyone else alone” has been the suggested strategy on the right for a long time now.

My neighbor's younger brother died from Covid. My neighbor is 70 and got vaccinated, his brother was in his fifties ad did not get vaccinated.
The entire family got vaccinated after the death. They definitely were not hardcore antivaxxers but they followed the guidance of their favorite politicians.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #685 on: March 10, 2022, 09:41:57 AM »

Good points about being dense and old. Tourism is almost entirely self-inflicted though. Florida could've discouraged tourists and closed the beaches. Florida also has outdoor weather much of the year, which probably means lower transmission rates.

Vermont did MUCH better with death rate and has lower unemployment. Vermont has nearly as many older people as a percent of the population (20% vs 20.9%).* It also has more indoor weather but it is less dense.

California has 14.8% >65 residents. Did they do better in death rate solely because of that 6% difference?

Density isn't necessarily the best metric, either. Nevada isn't a dense state but the majority of its populace is in one city.

* https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/VT/AGE775219 -- change the state in the URL to look at FL and CA and MA and etc.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 09:44:33 AM by bacchi »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #686 on: March 10, 2022, 09:42:37 AM »

Oh, rose colored glasses!

Did you know that Florida doesn't count Covid deaths if the folks who die are non-residents? So you can live there 179 days of the year (like many snow birds), happen to catch Covid AND die of Covid in Florida, and this still won't be counted. Do you think that effects the numbers?

California is pretty dense and also has tons of tourism... Did they do better than Florida? Maryland and DC are both much more dense than Florida, and did much better than Florida per any measure.

What self-respecting snow bird makes sure to stay in FL less than 179 days a year?  Why, so they can pay income tax back in their home state?  Every snowbird I know makes sure to be in FL 181 days a year to avoid income taxes. I assume there’s an exception for Canadians but for everyone else, no, the goal is to be a FL resident, not to NOT be one. Source, my parents are snowbirds and live in a snowbird community and half of what they all talk about is hitting their FL days.

And CA/MD/DC, you really need to correct for age. FL is much much older than those states, that’s the #1 correlated risk factor for Covid.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #687 on: March 10, 2022, 09:45:30 AM »

Good points about being dense and old. Tourism is almost entirely self-inflicted though. Florida could've discouraged tourists and closed the beaches. Florida also has outdoor weather much of the year, which probably means lower transmission rates.

Vermont did MUCH better with death rate and has lower unemployment. Vermont has nearly as many older people as a percent of the population (20% vs 20.9%).* It also has more indoor weather but it is less dense. It certainly seems like Vermont's mask mandates were the right choice if we're considering death rate + unemployment.

California has 14.8% >65 residents. Did they do better in death rate solely because of that 6% difference?

Density isn't necessarily the best metric, either. Nevada isn't a dense state but the majority of the its populace is in one city.

* https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/VT/AGE775219 -- change the state in the URL to look at FL and CA and MA and etc.

FL didn’t want to restrict tourism. That’s the whole point. It didn’t crush its economy and it still had a pretty mid pack Covid result despite all that.

Also, “closing the beaches” is laughable since we figured out in like May/June 2020 that outdoor transmission is exceptionally low. Closing outdoor activities is one of those things that made “I believe in science!” laughable because it’s the opposite of science. Encourage people to go outside and engage in healthy things. Covid thrives on stale air inside.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #688 on: March 10, 2022, 09:55:41 AM »

Vermont did MUCH better with death rate and has lower unemployment. Vermont has nearly as many older people as a percent of the population (20% vs 20.9%).* It also has more indoor weather but it is less dense. It certainly seems like Vermont's mask mandates were the right choice if we're considering death rate + unemployment.

Density isn't necessarily the best metric, either. Nevada isn't a dense state but the majority of the its populace is in one city.

FL didn’t want to restrict tourism. That’s the whole point. It didn’t crush its economy and it still had a pretty mid pack Covid result despite all that.

Also, “closing the beaches” is laughable since we figured out in like May/June 2020 that outdoor transmission is exceptionally low. Closing outdoor activities is one of those things that made “I believe in science!” laughable because it’s the opposite of science. Encourage people to go outside and engage in healthy things. Covid thrives on stale air inside.

You misunderstand. Those beach tourists mingle in hotels and restaurants and bars eventually. Look at Hawaii, which has the lowest death rate because it discouraged tourists and required quarantine (at the expense of their economy). Maybe it would've been impossible to close the beaches for tourists and keep them open for residents (though I thought some FL counties were doing that).

It still doesn't explain Vermont. Is it all to being a less dense state? Or better masking? Or belief in the vaccine over alternative drugs? All?

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #689 on: March 10, 2022, 09:58:23 AM »
Vermont has a very high vaccination rate - >80% of total population is fully vaccinated, and almost 60% of those have boosters.  It has the first or second highest rate in the US.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #690 on: March 10, 2022, 10:01:29 AM »
Vermont has a very high vaccination rate - >80% of total population is fully vaccinated, and almost 60% of those have boosters.  It has the first or second highest rate in the US.

So you're suggesting that encouraging vaccinations gave Vermont its lower death rate? I'd agree.

If only leaders from other states would've done the same instead of feeding into the anti-vaccine movement.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #691 on: March 10, 2022, 10:05:30 AM »

You misunderstand. Those beach tourists mingle in hotels and restaurants and bars eventually. Look at Hawaii, which has the lowest death rate because it discouraged tourists and required quarantine (at the expense of their economy).

I don’t misunderstand. That IS the point. FL elected not to shut their economy down. Everyone screamed they’d have off the chart deaths due to open economy + old people + density. In fact, they didn’t, they had a pretty mid pack result. Could they have been a little bit better if they locked everything down like other states?  Maybe, but the argument is that probably isn’t a better outcome all things considered given how hard other states crushed their economies.

Hawaii is a whole different consideration because of their remoteness, and very limited ICU capacity. I get why they had to do what they did, but they will also tell you that they couldn’t afford another year with no tourism. I know that because I was just there, and they all told us that.

It still doesn't explain Vermont. Is it all to being a less dense state? Or better masking? Or belief in the vaccine over alternative drugs? All?

No idea. You’re always going to have some outliers, but most likely it is because they all went vaxxed hard and fast. But you also have to consider VT’s entire population is only 2/3rds FL’s largest city (600k vs 900k in Jacksonville)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #692 on: March 10, 2022, 10:06:48 AM »

So you're suggesting that encouraging vaccinations gave Vermont its lower death rate? I'd agree.

If only leaders from other states would've done the same instead of feeding into the anti-vaccine movement.

I agree too, to a point. I think encouraging vaccines in adults is worthwhile. I don’t think it’s particularly valuable in children.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #693 on: March 10, 2022, 11:21:48 AM »
Forgive me if it is upthread - is there any state-by-state economic impact studies available? That's probably even more difficult to quantify than the impacts of public health measures.

For me, one large factor is pure luck that we largely missed that very first wave in Florida. Miami is certainly a city of sufficient density and "world gateway" status that things could have been much worse early on.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #694 on: March 10, 2022, 12:19:42 PM »

And CA/MD/DC, you really need to correct for age. FL is much much older than those states, that’s the #1 correlated risk factor for Covid.

Can't believe I have to post these again....

U.S. States ranked by median age and covid deaths per million:
1) Maine (45 median age) / 1,591 covid deaths per million (ranks 48th out of 50 states + D.C.)
2) New Hampshire (43 median age) / 1,771 covid deaths per million (ranks 44th out of 51)
3) Vermont (43 median age) / 974 covid deaths per million (ranks 50th out of 51, ahead of only Hawaii)
4) West Virginia (43 median age) / 3,651 covid deaths per million (ranks 5th)
5) Florida (42 median age) / 3,324 covid deaths per millions (ranks 18th)

(Of course, a "true" look at deaths would be excess deaths by state, but I don't believe that data is out yet.)

Hmmm....what did WV and FL do differently than those states with older populations?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/18/briefing/red-covid-partisan-deaths-vaccines.html

Only after the vaccines became widely available, in early 2021 — and liberals were much more willing to get shots than conservatives — did Covid become a disproportionately Republican illness. By the summer of 2021, the gap was soaring.

Also recall....
Since Delta began circulating widely in the U.S., Covid has exacted a horrific death toll on red America: In counties where Donald Trump received at least 70 percent of the vote, the virus has killed about 47 out of every 100,000 people since the end of June, according to Charles Gaba, a health care analyst. In counties where Trump won less than 32 percent of the vote, the number is about 10 out of 100,000.

Perhaps the best indicator of how your county fared through covid once vaccines become available was the proportion in which your county voted for Trump.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #695 on: March 10, 2022, 01:38:01 PM »
What self-respecting snow bird makes sure to stay in FL less than 179 days a year?  Why, so they can pay income tax back in their home state?  Every snowbird I know makes sure to be in FL 181 days a year to avoid income taxes. I assume there’s an exception for Canadians but for everyone else, no, the goal is to be a FL resident, not to NOT be one. Source, my parents are snowbirds and live in a snowbird community and half of what they all talk about is hitting their FL days.

Like, a lot of them?  My FIL and his wife, for example live in NY.  They winter in FL every year, from around New Year's until mid-May.  I mean, they are retired, so their taxes aren't that high.

In fact, they have a whole group of "buddies" in FL that do the same.  Very few actually live there year round, or for >181 days.

Also, THIS.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #696 on: March 10, 2022, 01:52:51 PM »

Like, a lot of them?  My FIL and his wife, for example live in NY.  They winter in FL every year, from around New Year's until mid-May.  I mean, they are retired, so their taxes aren't that high.

In fact, they have a whole group of "buddies" in FL that do the same.  Very few actually live there year round, or for >181 days.
There are tons of people who rent from 1-4 months in the winter. They don't own and are definitely not residents of the state. The joke around here is you know it's autumn when you can see all the colors on the license plates changing.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #697 on: March 10, 2022, 01:55:40 PM »
Median or Average age doesn't reflect if there are larger cohorts of much older populations that are the most vulnerable to COVID. I can't find any solid data on age cohorts beyond the typical 65+ but I would guess there are more people in their 80s and 90s in Florida (21.1% 65+) than Vermont (22.7% 65+) or Maine (23.2% 65+).

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/population-distribution-by-age-cps/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%2265%2B%22,%22sort%22:%22desc%22%7D

But when it comes to deaths, clearly there is a very strong correlation with vaccination rates - as well as age.

New Mexico ranks 6th in percentage of the population over 65 at 20.8% (Florida is 4th). Our mask mandate was just lifted a few weeks ago and our Democratic governor has imposed some of the most restrictive COVID policies and been encouraging vaccinations all along. So very different than Florida. However, the death rates per capita are basically identical 335 per 100,000 in NM vs. 332 per 100,00 in FL. The vaccination rate here is slightly higher at 70% vs. 66% in Florida.

New England was founded by religious congregations that emphasized community over self and generally trust the government. This still holds true to this day which is why the highest vaccination levels are in New England and other communitarian areas like the west coast. The deep south and Appalachia are very individualistic and generally don't trust the government. Most of the lowest vaccination rates and highest death rates per capita are in these areas (Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, West Virginia, etc.)
https://colinwoodard.com/the-american-nations-and-the-geography-of-covid-19-vaccinations/

I think most of the public policies around COVID were theater and it came down more to demographics and local attitudes. The areas that were more communitarian wore masks, avoided gathering, got vaccinated, and had better outcomes. Those areas that were more individualistic didn't wear masks, didn't avoid gathering, didn't get vaccinated and had worse outcomes. Did state policies make a difference? Probably not that much in my opinion. However, I'm sure there will be many papers and studies written for years to come. If you look simply at people voting with their feet, it seems like Florida made the more popular decision - even if it meant worse outcomes for some people.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #698 on: March 10, 2022, 04:51:52 PM »
I think encouraging vaccines in adults is worthwhile. I don’t think it’s particularly valuable in children.

Based on what?

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #699 on: March 10, 2022, 05:54:14 PM »
I think encouraging vaccines in adults is worthwhile. I don’t think it’s particularly valuable in children.

Based on what?

Children have an insanely low IFR