Author Topic: Man walks about 21 miles a day to work. Why?  (Read 5659 times)

oldfierm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Man walks about 21 miles a day to work. Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:41:10 AM »
I know, right!  Instead, is crowd-funded car is up to like 150K! 

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »
Well now the crowd-fund is up over 200k.... Guess he can buy a house a block away from where he works now.... Lol

TheGadfly

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »
Give the man a bike!

My thoughts exactly!

On another note, there is something a little short-sighted about all the donations this guy is getting.  People are throwing their money at one man's problem while also ignoring (what should have been) the message of the original article, which is that Detroit's failing public transportation is an extreme burden for the working poor.

Raising thousands of dollars for this poor guy is great, but it should be taken for what it is--a convenient way for passing motorists to feel better about the status quo and the privileges they derive from it. 

...but seriously,  how many bikes can you buy for $200,000!! (yes, the campaign has reached these heights). 

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »
I think he walked instead of biking because all the walking was done between public transit routes that wouldn't allow a bike on board? 

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 03:18:25 PM »
Walking absolutely DOMINATES biking.

dachs

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 03:41:47 PM »

Not if you only get 2 hours of sleep at night because of that.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 06:42:32 PM »

Not if it means doing it for 7 hours a day instead of 2.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 06:42:07 AM »

Sheesh. I bike exactly 4 miles to and from work every day. I enjoy my bike commute, but it takes up 35-40 minutes of my time of every day. If I were walking that distance, my total commute time would increase to 2 hours 40 minutes per day. That's not a trade-off I'm willing to make.

jzb11

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 06:47:42 AM »
The original article also notes that the man has turned down several offers for assistance in order to keep his independence. I don't mind the donations per se, but it seems like the guy was unwilling to accept any help prior to 210,000 in donations.

At any rate I don't have high hopes for the longevity of his windfall. Something tells me it's not going to be around very long.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:17:04 AM »
I mostly find it sad that everyone seems to think it is so super fantastically amazing. I want to give the guy a handshake, a simple "nice work", and a bike if he wants. At his salary he can buy a cheap car and start to get his life back in shape soon enough, it just takes time. But he obviously hasn't been doing everything right his whole life, or he wouldn't be in his current situation. Not that I wish him any ill will, but it doesn't make him a saint to not be able to afford a car, and to have to walk that far. He is just doing the right thing now, and for that his should be congraduated. The problem I see is that not enough others have this attitude, he shouldn't be such an exception...

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 07:41:56 AM »
I think he walked instead of biking because all the walking was done between public transit routes that wouldn't allow a bike on board?

Nope.  There are bike racks on the front of the buses around here.  Also, he could have moved closer.  I'm familiar with the area that he works in and there are very affordable apartments a short distance away. 

This is about a mile away.  Not glamorous by any means but certainly a great place to spend some time saving up for something better.   
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2359-W-Auburn-Rd-Rochester-Hills-MI-48309/24439783_zpid/

This is double the price and distance away but WAY nicer. 
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3200-River-Oaks-Blvd-1321972-Rochester-Hills-MI-48309/2105547971_zpid/

If he's willing to travel(he obviously is), there are a massive number of cheap apartments/homes in the city of Pontiac which is only a few miles away for less than $1k.

I think this link will work.
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/house,apartment_condo,duplex,townhouse_type/0-273653_price/0-1000_mp/days_sort/42.712651,-83.159895,42.58753,-83.328123_rect/12_zm/

The problem I have with this is that it should have been capped at maybe 15k.  That's enough to get him a very reliable car and cover insurance, repairs and gas for a long time.  Certainly enough time for him to correct the job/living situation to one that is better. 

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 07:47:38 AM »
I hope he actually gets the money.  And if its that much since he needs a car now why hasn't one been bought for him from the donations?

The guy only made little over $10 an hour. I have never heard what his job is. Some asked why he stayed there and worked for such little money so far away.  He said it took him forever to even get that job and wasn't about to give it up.

His employer was praising him and all, I think he finally realized that people were starting to ask if he was such a good employee why was he not even making enough money to afford transportation.  Haven't heard anything from him since.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 08:18:02 AM »

My bike commute is a little over 22 miles round trip.  Takes about 40 minute each way.  The guy in the story is spending four hours each way to go the same distance.  :P

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
Update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42-n_HG_1ZU

Charlie LeDuff is a bit of a sensationalist although very devoted to Detroit. Anyway, story is guy had to move because neighbors appeared to be threatening him, demanding hand-outs (though it's hard to say if police might have been reacting so strongly because they know the publicity the guy has attracted.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »
I hope he actually gets the money. 
Sounds like he hasn't gotten money yet, but did get the car- and plenty of problems.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2015/02/detroit_walking_man_who_got_350_00_in_online_donations_forced_to_move_after.html

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!