Author Topic: NYC in November, travel tips wanted  (Read 2572 times)

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
NYC in November, travel tips wanted
« on: September 03, 2017, 01:55:27 AM »
I'll be for a short vacation in New York City in the second half of November, and this time not travelling alone but with a friend.  It's the first time in the USA for my friend, and she feels very uncertain of her English language skills which might affect some plans (in fact, she mentioned that she thinks she is better at Cantonese than at English).

I'm be in the city from November 16 to 25, travel days included.  This means that I'll be there over Thanksgiving and Black Friday (both important cultural events for Americans that we don't really have here in Europe).  Staying at a hotel in downtown Manhattan.

Most of my previous trips to the Big Apple have been in the summer, so I have some questions:

• What could thanksgiving look like when you're a non-american tourist over there?
  • If I want to make a day trip outside of the city to show some country side or small town scenery, where would you go? I've looked into taking a train a suitable distance outside of the city and then picking up a rental car for the day going e.g. north up the Hudson Valley
  • Gotta show the friend a skyscraper.  Is the new One World Observatory better in some way than Empire State Building or Top Of The Rock?
  • Anything other special that happens in November that we shouldn't miss?

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
Re: NYC in November, travel tips wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »
You might want to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.  That's a big spectacle.  For small town scenery, you could take the train to Beacon and go to the Dia, a contemporary art museum within walking distance of the train station.  Beacon also has a Main Street with some me restaurants downtown.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »
Thanks.  The Macy Thanksgiving Parade will most probably be seen. 

Are stores and resturants closed on that day?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 03:38:50 PM »
Gotta show the friend a skyscraper.  Is the new One World Observatory better in some way than Empire State Building or Top Of The Rock?

From my experience showing foreign friends around, they are much more interested in the OLD skyscrapers with the fancy stonework, than in a tall glass box, which they can get anywhere. So I would vote for Empire State Building.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
I am not big on paying big bucks to go up super tall buildings. The view is nice but a bit meh to me. When my mother and I went to NYC for our first visit last November,  I was willing to spend the money for her...but thankfully she agreed with me it wasn't worth it. So I took her to a cool rooftop bar without a fab view during happy hours. It was busy and we never even ended up getting a drink (neither of us drink much) and because of the layout of the place, we didn't end up feeling obligated to do so. We got amazing photos of the NYC skyline at dusk. All for free :)

As a foreigner, I also loved Central Park. Watching real people enjoy the park and actually play with their families in that big field with the NYC skyline in the background felt surreal and made the movies come to life.

If she is unsure about English, don't spend time doing things that involve listening to a tour guide. She will likely enjoy city sights, interesting foods, and uniquely American things.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 08:30:21 AM »
Oh in November,  they will have a bunch of Christmas markets. We really enjoyed wandering around the markets window shopping. So pretty.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:16:52 AM »
Thanks!

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 07:28:54 AM »
I haven't been to the One World observatory yet, so can't comment on that, but between the Empire State building and Top of the Rock, I'd pick the Rock. It's usually less crowded, and I like that you can go up to the top level and get an unobstructed view (no fence/glass to get in your way).

For day trips by train, see http://gothamist.com/2015/10/08/best_train_rides_nyc.php

I'd probably pick the Hudson Valley or Princeton myself, but there are a lot of places within range of the city, and you don't even need to rent a car.

Be aware that the day before Thanksgiving is one of (if not the) highest volume travel days in the US, so it's not the best day to go anywhere.

Some more events around that time - https://www.timeout.com/newyork/events-calendar/november-events-calendar

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 10:32:32 AM »
Thanks.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 09:23:52 AM »
If your friend enjoys modern art, on your day trip you could visit the Storm King Art Center. It is HUGE. Rent bikes if you are in shape for it.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/storm-king-art-center-new-windsor

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 11:38:58 AM »
If your friend enjoys modern art, on your day trip you could visit the Storm King Art Center. It is HUGE. Rent bikes if you are in shape for it.

Yes, this is in the Hudson valley by the town of beacon that I mentioned.  Might not be so great in November, but I like to go in the summer and early fall, particularly when they do their concert series.  For inclement weather modern art, I'd do the Dia in Beacon instead.  Also some fun wineries and orchards close by.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »

Thanks.  Weather permitting it looks great.  :)