Author Topic: No, a hot dog is NOT a sandwich!  (Read 6662 times)

redbirdfan

• Stubble
No, a hot dog is NOT a sandwich!
« on: August 08, 2018, 11:00:40 PM »
To distract myself from the “you can’t make this stuff up” state of our politics, I’m going to post this here. There has been a lot of recent dialogue about whether a hot dog is a sandwich. It is NOT. It’s not even close. It does not have two pieces of bread, nor is it open-faced. It is merely a combination of meat and bread that I thoroughly enjoyed in my meat eating days...but it is not a sandwich.

I’m not knocking hot dogs, brats, polish sausage or kielbasa. They are all delicious, but they are not sandwiches. If hot dogs are sandwiches, then so are tacos, burritos, calzones and hot pockets. Clearly the slope of hand-held food = a sandwich has already become too slippery. I just had to vent.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: No, a hot dog is NOT a sandwich!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:11:28 PM »
I also instantly distrust anyone who uses the phrase "a hamburger sandwich." I don't care if it's a sandwich or not. You don't call it that unless you're an alien.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 11:13:51 PM »
Found the Structure Purist.

Why stop at calzones? What makes a sandwich is the essence of "use bread to hold the filling so as to make it edible while playing cards"-- depending on how hard you squint through the lens of history, a waffle cone would be a sandwich, had the Earl been eating dessert instead of dinner whilst gambling.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 07:18:44 AM »

Hmm... I wonder how Redbirdfan will react by my following statement:

Two toasted Pop-Tarts placed together with a healthy schmear of peanut butter and dill relish between isn't just a sandwich, it's a clubhouse sandwich with four layers of bread.

Also, I will gladly pay you Tuesday for an hamburger sandwich today, Dollar Slice.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:21:36 AM by Daley »

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 07:28:11 AM »
I also instantly distrust anyone who uses the phrase "a hamburger sandwich." I don't care if it's a sandwich or not. You don't call it that unless you're an alien.

This is great!  I have never heard someone say this but agree: they would indeed be an alien.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 07:44:33 AM »
Pah. Chip butties were sandwiches decades before the BLT was invented.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 07:45:03 AM »
I kinda think that anything between two slices of bread or bun material is a sandwich.  The upper left, upper middle, middle left, and middle middle pictures in the chart above all technically qualify.

That said, I'd never call a hotdog (or hamburger) a sandwich.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 07:46:14 AM »
Where does a knuckle sandwich fall on that chart?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 07:47:51 AM »
Where does a knuckle sandwich fall on that chart?

It's a reasoned and acceptable response to the bottom right suggestion.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 07:52:22 AM »
A sandwich must contain two independent slices of bread or bread-like food, and ideally absurd amounts of peanut butter.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 07:57:07 AM »
A sandwich must contain two independent slices of bread or bread-like food, and ideally absurd amounts of peanut butter.
So you don't agree with the term "submarine sandwich"? Subs are a single piece of bread, unless of course you pull the halves apart. Then again two slices of bread were once one loaf...

Anyway, a hotdog isn't a sandwich because it's a hotdog. It just is, I don't need any structural definitions.

As for a hamburger, I would accept a hamburg sandwich but not a hamburger sandwich, that's redundant.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 08:05:27 AM »
Dabnasty, are you saying that the hot dog is its own food category?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 08:06:30 AM »

I'm a moderate left leaning structuralist.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 08:07:19 AM »
Dabnasty, are you saying that the hot dog is its own food category?

Yes

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 09:10:27 AM »
So you don't agree with the term "submarine sandwich"? Subs are a single piece of bread, unless of course you pull the halves apart. Then again two slices of bread were once one loaf...
I've never eaten such a thing in my life and have no intention to.  The bread-to-other-stuff ratio is way too high there, despite being a "single piece."

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »
I will venture to say that even one piece of bread suffices, as in "open-faced sandwich."

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 10:04:35 AM »
sand·wich
ˈsanˌ(d)wiCH/Submit
noun
an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with meat, cheese, or other filling between them, eaten as a light meal.

verb
insert or squeeze (someone or something) between two other people or things, typically in a restricted space or so as to be uncomfortable.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 10:06:36 AM »
I will venture to say that even one piece of bread suffices, as in "open-faced sandwich."
Does that mean a single slice of toast with butter on top is a sandwich?

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 10:13:01 AM »

Perhaps, though I would venture that the amount of butter is important.  Think of a menu listing "open-faced butter sandwich: pumpernickel toast with generous helpings of rich grass-fed butter."  If you ordered that and got "buttered toast" with the butter all melted in, you'd be disappointed.  But if it was a large slab of warm pumpernickel with a 1/4-inch schmear of butter just beginning to soften -- you would have discovered the open-faced butter sandwich.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 10:15:57 AM »

That depends on how much butter we're talking. If it's a small amount of butter then it's just a condiment, but if we're talking about a half stick or more, I suppose that could constitute an open faced butter sandwich.

Except that open face sandwiches aren't real sandwiches.

Also, if the butter is thoroughly soaked into the bread, then you've got buttered toast. Buttered toast makes good BLT sandwiches.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »
Structural neutral, ingredient purist here.

In the immortal words of Supreme Court Justice Stewart, "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description [of sandwich], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the [hot dog on a bun] is not that.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »
sand·wich
ˈsanˌ(d)wiCH/Submit
noun
an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with meat, cheese, or other filling between them, eaten as a light meal.
So if the hot dog bun or submarine bread tears at the seam and becomes two pieces, by definition it goes from "not a sandwich" to "sandwich", provided it has appropriate filling?

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »

In the immortal words of Supreme Court Justice Stewart, "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description [of sandwich], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the [hot dog on a bun] is not that.
Ever had two dogs at once with two pieces of wheat bread?

*spelling edit
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:49:54 AM by simonsez »

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 10:29:32 AM »

Every had two dogs at once with two pieces of wheat bread?
Look, I may have experimented a little in college, but didn't we all?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »
sand·wich
ˈsanˌ(d)wiCH/Submit
noun
You've introduced a new dimension of what it means to be a sandwich with the phrase "eaten as a light meal."

So if I pig out and make a heavy meal out of food items consisting of two pieces of bread with filling between them are they no longer sandwiches?

I suppose if I want a conforming sandwich from Subway I should order a 6 inch and ask the "Sandwich Artist" to fully slice the bread into two pieces.

In the top right corner of the chart we need consider if the consumer is eating it as a light meal AND consider if waffles fall under the definition of bread to determine if it is a conforming sandwich (I am fairly certain that ice cream fulfills the requirement of "other filling").

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 11:07:40 AM »
I don't understand open faced sandwiches.
I feel like by being open faced, they are no longer sandwiches. They are bread with stuff on them. If they still count as sandwiches, are pizzas sandwiches?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »
There is a feeling which persists in England that making a sandwich interesting, attractive, or in any way pleasant to eat is something sinful that only foreigners do.

"Make 'em dry," is the instruction buried somewhere in the collective national consciousness, "make 'em rubbery. If you have to keep the buggers fresh, do it by washing 'em once a week."

It is by eating sandwiches in pubs on Saturday lunchtimes that the British seek to atone for whatever their national sins have been. They're not altogether clear what those sins are, and don't want to know either. Sins are not the sort of things one wants to know about. But whatever their sins are they are amply atoned for by the sandwiches they make themselves eat.

- Douglas Adams

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 11:45:07 AM »
to quote Someone On The Internet about The Sandwich Discourse:

Look, this is my litmus test: I pretend I am the original Earl of Sandwich. I have asked for non-bread foods to be brought to me inside bread, that I might more easily consume them one-handed while gambling.

This does not enable my wretched regency habits. This is not what I asked for. I do not deign to grace it with the name of my house.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 12:16:21 PM »
According to this thread, Shit On A Shingle is a "sandwich".

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 12:20:47 PM »
No way am I counting shit on a shingle as a sandwich.

I'm going to have a delicious corndog for dinner. That is one continuous piece of cornbread, so definitely not a sammich.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »

That depends on how much butter we're talking. If it's a small amount of butter then it's just a condiment, but if we're talking about a half stick or more, I suppose that could constitute an open faced butter sandwich.

Also, if the butter is thoroughly soaked into the bread, then you've got buttered toast. Buttered toast makes good BLT sandwiches.
Open faced sandwiches are for cheapskates. WTF does the extra slice of bread cost? Is your atention span so short that you can't finish making it a real sandwich?

Just seeing "Open Faced' reads like an apology on the menu. Sorry sir, our cooks are too lazy to make a sandwich, have this abomination instead that you can't possibly pick up and consume the way a sandwich is meant to be eaten. Please enjoy our half assed cooking; sincerely, Management.

P.S. ANY F**Kin sandwich that requires utensils is not a sandwich! Rot in the after life you cursed abominations.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 05:14:53 PM »
sand·wich
ˈsanˌ(d)wiCH/Submit
noun
So if the hot dog bun or submarine bread tears at the seam and becomes two pieces, by definition it goes from "not a sandwich" to "sandwich", provided it has appropriate filling?

Schrödinger’s weiner

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 05:23:21 PM »

Open faced sandwiches are for cheapskates. WTF does the extra slice of bread cost? Is your atention span so short that you can't finish making it a real sandwich?

Just seeing "Open Faced' reads like an apology on the menu. Sorry sir, our cooks are too lazy to make a sandwich, have this abomination instead that you can't possibly pick up and consume the way a sandwich is meant to be eaten. Please enjoy our half assed cooking; sincerely, Management.

P.S. ANY F**Kin sandwich that requires utensils is not a sandwich! Rot in the after life you cursed abominations.

Hey now!  Don't count a good roast beef poboy out!!  The good ones are so messy you will need a fork for some of it.   :>

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 05:56:20 PM »
So funny! I've never thought of a hot dog or hamburger as sandwiches, but I think the term "hamburger sandwich" is delightful.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 08:27:09 PM »
Schrödinger’s weiner

So many dirty jokes, so little time...

So funny! I've never thought of a hot dog or hamburger as sandwiches, but I think the term "hamburger sandwich" is delightful.

*calls the MIB*

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 08:17:50 AM »
I've always thought of a hamburger as a sandwich - I just never use the word "sandwich" because everyone knows when you say "hamburger" you mean a ground beef patty sandwiched inside a bun. Occasionally the word "hamburger" just refers to ground beef (i.e. Hamburger Helper), but context makes it clear that a hamburger sandwich is not what is meant.

I agree that the definition of sandwich should preclude food that most people feel requires utensils to eat.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »

I agree with this purely on the basis of the enthusiasm with which it is pitched.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 08:48:59 AM »
This thread is the wurst.  Don't knock it.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 09:33:16 AM »
This thread is the wurst.  Don't knock it.

It is. Rye are we still talking about this?

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2018, 10:09:34 AM »
To distract myself from the “you can’t make this stuff up” state of our politics, I’m going to post this here. There has been a lot of recent dialogue about whether a hot dog is a sandwich. It is NOT. It’s not even close. It does not have two pieces of bread, nor is it open-faced. It is merely a combination of meat and bread that I thoroughly enjoyed in my meat eating days...but it is not a sandwich.

I’m not knocking hot dogs, brats, polish sausage or kielbasa. They are all delicious, but they are not sandwiches. If hot dogs are sandwiches, then so are tacos, burritos, calzones and hot pockets. Clearly the slope of hand-held food = a sandwich has already become too slippery. I just had to vent.

Or is it   Round Hot Dog

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »

Or is it   Round Hot Dog

I call bologna

Parton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2018, 06:13:09 AM »
I really love homemade hotdogs. When my wife leaves for a business trip and leaves me alone, I cook only hotdogs for myself all the time.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2018, 06:48:49 AM »
I really love homemade hotdogs. When my wife leaves for a business trip and leaves me alone, I cook only hotdogs for myself all the time.

How do you make your hot dogs?  That seems like a really arduous process.  I've made sausage, but it seems like a hot dog is different.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2018, 08:12:30 AM »

You are wrong here. An open faced sandwich means there's twice the amount of goodness stacked on each separate piece of bread. Would I rather order a crab sandwich or an open faced crab sandwich? One way might yield me twice the amount of crab.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2018, 09:29:51 AM »

You are wrong here. An open faced sandwich means there's twice the amount of goodness stacked on each separate piece of bread. Would I rather order a crab sandwich or an open faced crab sandwich? One way might yield me twice the amount of crab.
Pick it up and eat it while wearing an expensive shirt. If it makes you nervous, then its not a sandwich. You should be able to play cards while eating it, as the good Earl intended.

A sandwich is defined by its simplicity to eat. If its not simple, its not a sandwich. Once you require utensils or dishes you've screwed up.

Clearly you don't understand the topping to bread ratio. If you find that you need more filling to bread, then put more filling in between the two slices of bread. If you enjoy eating crab filling, feel free to eat a giant pile of filling. But for f$*ks sake, don't mess with an already perfect food.

What you described is crab toast or crab on bread, even millenials are smart enough to understand the concept; ever hear of Avocado Toast? Millenials who spend all their money* and can't buy houses are still smart enough to understand that its not an avocado sandwich.

*see wall of shame, apparently all millenials are broke because of avocado toast. There are no millenials apparently immune to this, but they all still know they're not buying sandwiches.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2018, 09:31:55 AM »

Pick it up and eat it while wearing an expensive shirt. If it makes you nervous, then its not a sandwich. You should be able to play cards while eating it, as the good Earl intended.

A sandwich is defined by its simplicity to eat. If its not simple, its not a sandwich. Once you require utensils or dishes you've screwed up.

Clearly you don't understand the topping to bread ratio. If you find that you need more filling to bread, then put more filling in between the two slices of bread. If you enjoy eating crab filling, feel free to eat a giant pile of filling. But for f$*ks sake, don't mess with an already perfect food.

What you described is crab toast or crab on bread, even millenials are smart enough to understand the concept; ever hear of Avocado Toast? Millenials who spend all their money* and can't buy houses are still smart enough to understand that its not an avocado sandwich.

*see wall of shame, apparently all millenials are broke because of avocado toast. There are no millenials apparently immune to this, but they all still know they're not buying sandwiches.

No way.  Your rule means that pulled pork sandwiches aren't sandwiches.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2018, 09:40:34 AM »

Nor the messiest food item ever, the fried egg and bacon sandwich.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2018, 10:39:01 AM »

I had a pulled pork sandwich for lunch yesterday, I was wearing a dress shirt and tie while I ate it. The tie was a loaner, it had a series of 5 pumpkins on it for halloween. As a loaner tie I felt extra responsible for its safety. While eating it I was at my desk and reading this forum, which is exactly how sandwiches are meant to be eaten.

Pulled pork makes a delicious sandwich.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2018, 11:46:48 AM »
The tie was a loaner, it had a series of 5 pumpkins on it for halloween.

OMG Prairie Stash, you are killing me!! Thanks for the laughs!

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »

Scene: Prairie stash is ordering food at a restaurant

PS: I’ll order the sandwich

Waiter: what type of sandwich would you like?

PS: it doesn’t matter, I’m mainly in it for the bread. I don’t like to concern myself with the actual flavors of what’s between the bread. Just tell the kitchen to make me something and please keep the filling ratio to a minimum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk