Author Topic: New England Patriots: most distasteful team in all of sports?  (Read 3170 times)

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
New England Patriots: most distasteful team in all of sports?
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:33:03 PM »
Yes.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
Re: New England Patriots: most distasteful team in all of sports?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 12:01:13 AM »
Tom Brady doesn't eat nightshades, so I fail to see how your question has any meaning.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 07:51:39 AM »
Pfff... not even close.    NYY, since 1913...  ha

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 08:04:58 AM »
Most distasteful ?  I'd have to disagree and I am far from a fan of the team.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 05:54:38 PM »
The Patriots are responsible for inflicting the greatest pain I have ever felt as a fan of sport. I hope they crash and burn today. So far so good.

Hoosier Daddy

• Stubble
  • Indiana Hoosiers: 5 Banners and counting
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 06:44:05 PM »
Colts fan here. So... agree 100000% lol

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 09:16:37 PM »
OMG. Can't believe they won.  Wish I could be happy (former Pats fan)... but amazing nevertheless.

snapperdude

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 09:19:18 PM »
The Patriots are responsible for inflicting the greatest pain I have ever felt as a fan of sport. I hope they crash and burn today. So far so good.

At least now we may be able to turn over the title of "worst Superbowl finish" ever.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 05:29:08 AM »
I'll admit I hate the Pats. Always have. But I don't deny their coach is a freaking genius and Brady is a legend.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 08:26:25 AM »
There are many, many football teams more distasteful, in my opinion. Usually, I find the Patriots a little too 'mechanical' to really enjoy watching, and I certainly don't consider myself a fan, but that coach and his staff are geniuses... And I think after last night, all the fighting about whether Montana or Brady is the greatest QB ever is over forever. I feel lucky to have seen that game and the Patriots' epic comeback (though I was hoping the Falcons would win).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 08:31:32 AM »
I'm a big Pats fan, but I think they're the most 'mustachian' of football teams:

-They are obsessed with finding "value" in players; few big-name stars that weren't home-grown
-They are notorious for paying less and players take it because of the chance to win
-Their star QB has negotiated his contract downward in order to purchase more talent to give himself a better shot at winning
-They are known for their careful parsing of the rulebook to gain an advantage where others don't see one

Etc. 

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 12:11:31 PM »
I'm a big Pats fan, but I think they're the most 'mustachian' of football teams:

-They are obsessed with finding "value" in players; few big-name stars that weren't home-grown
-They are notorious for paying less and players take it because of the chance to win
-Their star QB has negotiated his contract downward in order to purchase more talent to give himself a better shot at winning
-They are known for their careful parsing of the rulebook to gain an advantage where others don't see one

Etc.

...and they are also known for stealing opponents' playbooks, videotaping opponents' practices, stealing opponents' signals, disabling opponents' communication systems at crucial moments in the game, etc.

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 12:36:46 PM »
I really liked the early Pats dynasty and liked how their tactics and "grit" and "clutch" would often prevail over the flashy and more talented Colts et all. They are like the football version of the Spurs who are the most tasteful basketball team I would argue. I think deflate gate is 99% bullshit.

But Boston area fans are the most annoying in all sports, the owner, the coach, and the qb all like Trump so I hate them.

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 12:43:34 PM »
...and they are also known for stealing opponents' playbooks, videotaping opponents' practices, stealing opponents' signals, disabling opponents' communication systems at crucial moments in the game, etc.

Um, this stuff isn't true. You really should read what spygate was actually about (it should have been called camera position-gate, would be more appropriate).

And you know the NFL handles all communications right? And they disable it for both teams if it's not working for one of them?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »
One of the things I respect is people who are able to carefully read a set of rules and use it to their advantage.  Porsche racing in the 1970s was a masterful example of this, and the Patriots/Belichick are great at it in from 2000-now.  As a finance person, I've employed the same tactics at work many times, and look at it as a game or puzzle.  It's something I also respect politically; I've never understood the accusations against the rich or corporations who use the tax code to their advantage*.  Frankly, I always look at people who get upset over it as 'weak' and small minded, and I've always felt that, rather than complaining when someone outsmarts you with rules available to everyone, you should be embarrassed that they thought of it and you didn't.  I think there's a little bit of right/left politics at play here; (warning: gross generalizations ahead) it seems like the right is more about "here are the rules, go try to maximize your gains within their bounds" and the left is more "well that guy did something the rules didn't anticipate or aren't what the rules were meant to be, that's not faaaaiiiirrr!"

*Politically manipulating the code is a different story

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 01:13:39 PM »

Um, this stuff isn't true. You really should read what spygate was actually about (it should have been called camera position-gate, would be more appropriate).

And you know the NFL handles all communications right? And they disable it for both teams if it's not working for one of them?

Technically some of it is true. They did in fact videotape the Jets from an unauthorized spot in essence breaking the rules. Belichick even apologized for a "mistake" in interpreting the rules. It was dumb because it didn't even provide them any sort of advantage. Even Mangini stated as such. Mangini didn't even want a bid deal made about it.

They are good at finding "loopholes" I'll give them that. But they do sometimes take it too far.

BookValue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 01:27:18 PM »
Check yourteamcheats.com, there isn't a clean team in the league.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 01:38:29 PM »
Even if you really believe everything about the Patriots alleged cheating, you have to admit they're all technicalities at best.  Videotaping from the wrong spot?  Putting a little less air in the football (and people like Aaron Rodgers have admitted they pump it up a little past what the rules allow, assuming the league will drop it back in spec if necessary)?  Are these really what people think allow the Pats to be so successful?  Hell, Atlanta got caught pumping crowd noise into their stadium, that's WAY more flagrant than filming from over here instead of over there.  It's amazing that in this era of concussion protocols and PEDs, THIS is the stuff that Pats haters get spun up about.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »
Even if you really believe everything about the Patriots alleged cheating, you have to admit they're all technicalities at best.  Videotaping from the wrong spot?  Putting a little less air in the football (and people like Aaron Rodgers have admitted they pump it up a little past what the rules allow, assuming the league will drop it back in spec if necessary)?  Are these really what people think allow the Pats to be so successful?  Hell, Atlanta got caught pumping crowd noise into their stadium, that's WAY more flagrant than filming from over here instead of over there.  It's amazing that in this era of concussion protocols and PEDs, THIS is the stuff that Pats haters get spun up about.

A little far fetched. I hate the Pats, but not at all because they have broken a couple of rules. I hate the Cowboys too and Seattle etc. I am sure some folks define them by perceived cheating. Probably shouldn't make blanket statements though. Heck I gave/give them props. I am a little jealous. My "former" favorite team had it all until management forced the coach to resign and everyone started leaving.

purple monkey

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 08:05:52 PM »
Football is a cult.

Yes, the Patriots are without good ethics.

Cheaters win here in USA.

Should have kept him out of entire season.

He has a license to cheat again because of that Superbowl performance.

Sad, but true.