Author Topic: My Retirement Plan - Unless You Get There First!  (Read 5553 times)

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
My Retirement Plan - Unless You Get There First!
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »
Saw this on today's news. There's buried treasure with a map and clues on where to find it. It's my new plan for retirement, so stay away!

"Forrest Fenn, 82, believes too many Americans spend their free time watching TV or playing video games. He hopes the bounty he hid — a chest filled with millions of dollars in gold coins, diamonds and emeralds, among other gems — will prompt some to explore the outdoors. "Get your kids out in the countryside, take them fishing and get them away from their little hand-held machines," he told TODAY."

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2013/02/27/17103863-want-to-find-his-hidden-treasure-worth-millions-head-outdoors?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=5

MrSaturday

• Stubble
Re: My Retirement Plan - Unless You Get There First!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »
You can go for that chest.  I got a completely different retirement plan out of that article.

"The Thrill of the Chase" is also the title of Fenn's self-published autobiography, which contains an unusual map to the treasure, a poem with 9 clues in it.

1) Tell people you've hidden a treasure chest worth millions of dollars.
2) Sell a book with clues.
3) Profit!

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
If this is true, then it. Is. Awesome.

I'll see you down in New Mexico, DoubleDown.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
No mustachecat, the treasure's over in... uhhh.. Arizona. Meet me over there!

@MrSaturday -- you might be right. But from what I gathered on the news report this morning, the guy already made himself a fortune dealing in antiquities/art. He then got a grim diagnosis of cancer a couple of years ago and decided to give part of his fortune away through this treasure hunt. Ironically his cancer is now in remission, but I guess he decided to still go ahead with the treasure hunt.

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »
You're going to feel REALLY, REALLY bad when I discover the treasure in Arizona and don't share. Like... REALLY BAD.

Xtal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »
Regardless of whether anyone finds the treasure, this guy's life story is interesting and inspirational.  Good article.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »
You're going to feel REALLY, REALLY bad when I discover the treasure in Arizona and don't share. Like... REALLY BAD.

Did you find that treasure yet? I'll make you a deal: If you find it, you share 50% with me, DoubleDown. If I find it, I will share 50% with you, and I will also reveal my secret identity to you as Arebelspy, site moderator! You get both the treasure and a secret identity revealed! Just track me (i.e., him) down for your share.

jnik

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 12:44:18 PM »
And Bandelier rangers just mounted a S&R effort for some dumbass who went running off looking for this. Sigh.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
And Bandelier rangers just mounted a S&R effort for some dumbass who went running off looking for this. Sigh.

I've always felt like maybe we shouldn't go looking for all these people. We're spending a shitload of money for what is effectively overriding natural selection. Maybe not such a great idea.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:21:14 AM »
That's pretty cool, but I want to teach my kids the beauty and fun of the outdoors for the fun and natural beauty of it... not for the financials.

That being said, I do enjoy my Netflix and PS3 :)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 03:10:37 PM »
According to Forrest Fenn, the treasure has been found.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/us/forrest-fenn-rocky-mountains-treasure-chest-found-trnd/index.html

A little bit suspicious that the person does not want to be named... sounds like a great way for Fenn to recoup $1M in this financial down turn ;)

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 05:55:24 PM »
Yup, after an exhausting seven-year search, I finally found it! Now I'm going to retire (again)!

If anyone doubts it was me who found it, note that Fenn said a guy "from back East" found it. And I am from back East. Q.E.D.

Thanks for posting the update @v8rx7guy. I read this news in the paper this morning, but I had forgotten I ever created this thread! The story I read this morning also noted that four people died attempting to find the treasure. Sheez.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 12:43:23 PM »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 01:39:34 PM »
Wow, this was enjoyable.  I don't remember the original post, but funny it was finally found.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 06:27:43 AM »
This was a movie!

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

So I was driving somewhere with the kids and started telling them the story that is basically the plot of this movie (it has been one of my favorites since I was growing up in the 1980's). And I got to the part about how much money was hidden (and motivating all of this incredible silliness), and it just felt weird. $350,000. The kids may already understand that we live in a house that costs more money than this treasure.

That's inflation for you.