Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781477 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »
I always thought the bow/arrow skill tree was disporportionately strong in Skyrim.  Melee characters have pretty much no option against you as long as you have a ledge or rock or something to stand on, and ranged projectiles from NPCs are pretty easy to dodge in most cases.  Sneak + dual daggers/bow was how I played my last character as well.

A lot of things are disproportionate and unrealistic in that game.  You can just grind out your smithing and making dragon armor fairly early in the game.  Gives you a massive advantage compared to working on other less useful skill trees.  I found playing as a pure mage extremely difficult compared to an archer or a warrior.  But I think that is why you can change the difficulty up/down to suit whatever character/style you are going for, so it's highly adaptable and you can still get a fun and unique play through even by self imposed limitations.

Agreed, started playing through again as a mage and I'm finding it more challenging than with a bow.

Yes it was challenging until I built up my destruction skill and got a lot of perks.  Then I ran around with my fire mage while blasting avenged sevenfold's "shepherd of fire" and wreaking havoc on anyone who dared cross me or give me sass mouth.  I believe sass mouth is the #1 cause of death in skyrim.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2016, 09:07:20 AM »
I believe sass mouth is the #1 cause of death in skyrim.

Can confirm, Sass mouth #1.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »
I believe sass mouth is the #1 cause of death in skyrim.

Can confirm, Sass mouth #1.

Morrowind used to be full of Sass mouthed Dunmers... Not anymore.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »
I always thought the bow/arrow skill tree was disporportionately strong in Skyrim.  Melee characters have pretty much no option against you as long as you have a ledge or rock or something to stand on, and ranged projectiles from NPCs are pretty easy to dodge in most cases.  Sneak + dual daggers/bow was how I played my last character as well.

A lot of things are disproportionate and unrealistic in that game.  You can just grind out your smithing and making dragon armor fairly early in the game.  Gives you a massive advantage compared to working on other less useful skill trees.  I found playing as a pure mage extremely difficult compared to an archer or a warrior.  But I think that is why you can change the difficulty up/down to suit whatever character/style you are going for, so it's highly adaptable and you can still get a fun and unique play through even by self imposed limitations.

Agreed, started playing through again as a mage and I'm finding it more challenging than with a bow.

Yes it was challenging until I built up my destruction skill and got a lot of perks.  Then I ran around with my fire mage while blasting avenged sevenfold's "shepherd of fire" and wreaking havoc on anyone who dared cross me or give me sass mouth.  I believe sass mouth is the #1 cause of death in skyrim.
I once reached 100 destruction on a character just to see what kinds of spells there were.  I remember being fairly disappointed in the three lvl 100 spells after doing the quest to get them.  They looked really cool, but the damage seemed underwhelming.  Now I really want to start a new character as a dedicated mage, though.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2016, 04:12:21 PM »
Dedicated mage builds are worth doing. Good fun, and the less-used schools of magic are hella useful in the midgame if you rely on them heavily enough in the beginning. Get your alteration up and Ironflesh+Bound [Weapon] your foes, or Muffle + Bound Bow + Soul Trap... it gives the game a way different feel than a straight conjure Atronachs and shoot lightning mage.

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »
Also, if any of you like city builders, I'm recommend looking into Banished. I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but you can probably pick it up for pretty cheap on a steam sale. And there's been some good mods put out for it.

I have Banished, but I haven't downloaded any mods, what would you recommend?

I would try the Colonial Charter mod. Not sure what the latest version is on steam, but it adds a bunch of content to the game. In fact there's an entire community around building the mod http://www.colonialcharter.com/.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #206 on: February 05, 2016, 05:07:41 PM »
I was never a fan of conjuration.  It was interesting enough, but it always seemed too frustrating to grind out the levels.  I also usually avoid soul trap like the plague because all the light from capturing souls would reveal you if you were doing stealth kills.  Being a dedicated mage would make that much more viable though.  I guess I know what I'm doing after my last CPA exam tomorrow.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2016, 06:08:15 PM »
So how many milk drinkers sided with the
Imperials, and who here were true sons of Skyrim?!

Hehe I actually played both sides of the Civil War and actually found the Imperials to be more enjoyable. Though I feel they could have done more with that storyline than just "kill these guys. Rinse and repeat."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:13:26 PM by EverCurious »

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: February 05, 2016, 07:38:59 PM »
- Starcraft
- Civilization (I'm still playing CIV 3, I'm trying to play all the civ's and beat the game every way possible, so it's taking me a while...what was it MMM said about the 'trailing edge of luxury? ;-) )

You guys are gonna laugh so hard at this blast from the past...Castles II: Siege and Conquest. Picked up an abandonware copy a few years ago and I still think it's good simple fun even all these years later.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2016, 08:41:23 PM »
If I played the fuck out of AoE: Age of Kings, what RTS would I like now?

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2016, 03:41:47 AM »
I found Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars to be a pretty good RTS, that I was introduced to a couple of years ago. Sadly, my laptop died, and I lost my copy, otherwise I'd still play it.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2016, 07:07:33 AM »

I had a blast with AoE 3. It can be picked up on steam during sales for 5-10$. Shipment cards are an interesting addition to the game and you get to customize your deck with units, upgrades or bonuses. Resources are also basically infinite with the gold plantation, food mill and factory (ultra building that can produce any resource for free).

I would also recommend Starcraft 2. I believe you can pick up the starter edition for free and play the first few missions to try it out.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »
So how many milk drinkers sided with the
Imperials, and who here were true sons of Skyrim?!

Hehe I actually played both sides of the Civil War and actually found the Imperials to be more enjoyable. Though I feel they could have done more with that storyline than just "kill these guys. Rinse and repeat."

Skyrim belongs to the Nords! I only played through the civil war on my nord character.  The rest of them I never joined and took sides, mostly because my characters had better shit to do, and partly because it was just rinse and repeat like you said.  I feel like I got the gist of it from one side on one play through.  Even on my imperial character I had a hard time looking past the fact that they were willing to execute me with no due process.  I mean she was an honest warrior seeking truth and justice for everyone, especially those in need, and the imperial's were just like "fuck it, cut her head off!". 

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »
Dragon Age: Origins <3<3<3<3<3

I bought the PC Bundle when DA:Inquisition was announced for $50 and it included Origins, II, and all the DLC in between. I literally JUST finished Origins last week (I don't want to love another video game (coughAlistaircough) as much as I love Origins) and have about one hour on Awakenings. I've heard mixed reviews for II, but I will absolutely finish it before I buy Inquisition (and by that time, IV will be out).

I've lost count how many times I've played through Fable II and III (I've unfortunately lost my PC version of I) on my 360. Saw the previews for Fable Legends and I'm not impressed. I currently have a game on III going but I haven't played for a few weeks.

Anyone play Runescape? My Christmas gift to myself for the past few years have been year long membership to it. It's a MMORPG that I've been playing for... 11 years now, I think. I have so much history with it I can't not play anymore.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:48:39 PM by Lis »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: February 08, 2016, 01:09:07 PM »
Anyone play Runescape? My Christmas gift to myself for the past few years have been year long membership to it. It's a MMORPG that I've been playing for... 11 years now, I think. I have so much history with it I can't not play anymore.

I played Runescape heavily for a few months maybe 10 years ago. I realized it was too much of a time sink and quit.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2016, 12:42:31 AM »
Why did I find this thread sooner? Been playing Just Cause 3 and Insurgency (I got that for review). I am terrible at games like Insurgency. I also played the heck out of Fallout 4 and the Witcher 3 this year.

If you like western RPGs I also high recommend Divinity Original Sin, its pretty cheap on steam right now.

I own a ps3/ps4/wii U and a 2DS

Just built a decent gaming PC.

I also own a PS2/Dreamcast/N64/GameCube but those are in storage. I've got a Retron 5 too, anyone else own one of those? I picked it up so I wouldn't have to get a SNES/Genesis/Sega Master System and a NES
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:45:14 AM by FrugalKube »

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2016, 01:02:40 AM »
I want to get Firewatch and Far Cry Primal

I should open and up and play Black Ops III and Transformers Devastation

So whats on everyone's must buy list this year ?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2016, 06:38:11 AM »
Bought my dad AOE Age of Kings 16 years ago so he could play online with my son and I.  To this day he plays it every single day.  Other than microsoft card games, this is the only game he plays.

Killerbrandt

• Bristles
« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2016, 06:40:48 AM »
Hey! Are any of you playing GTA V online for PC? Me and a few of my friends have been playing it a lot lately and I just wanted to see if any of you would like to join? :)

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #219 on: February 10, 2016, 07:34:05 AM »

I played Runescape heavily for a few months maybe 10 years ago. I realized it was too much of a time sink and quit.
I played that game for several years in middle/high school.  I got out when I was the only one of my friends still playing, which I think was a few months after they added the summoning skill, and I was pretty close to getting the quest cape at the time.

The main reason I don't play MMORPGs anymore is because of the time invested learning all the background and story in them.  I get too sucked in.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2016, 08:05:54 AM »

I played that game for several years in middle/high school.  I got out when I was the only one of my friends still playing, which I think was a few months after they added the summoning skill, and I was pretty close to getting the quest cape at the time.

The main reason I don't play MMORPGs anymore is because of the time invested learning all the background and story in them.  I get too sucked in.

Aside from internet issues, my main reason is how they're "free to play", but for all the good stuff you gotta fork over some pretty cash. Of course, you don't HAVE to pay to enjoy the game, but in my experience you typically gotta pay for the levels that gi e you access to better loot, to increase armor rating and climb the Tier ladder.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »

Aside from internet issues, my main reason is how they're "free to play", but for all the good stuff you gotta fork over some pretty cash. Of course, you don't HAVE to pay to enjoy the game, but in my experience you typically gotta pay for the levels that gi e you access to better loot, to increase armor rating and climb the Tier ladder.

Yeah, the good stuff is pretty much members only. Once you get the free skills up to level 50 or so (and can get tier 5 armor weapons, which are the highest for free players), the game gets repetitive and dumb. It's definitely a free trial of sorts hoping you'll get sucked in. I tried playing my main on the free worlds after having a membership, didn't like it. Started over with a new character, didn't like it. Once you're exposed to the member's world, it's tough to go back. But I enjoy it, I've made some good friends through it, so it's worth it to me. What I do appreciate is they don't double charge you - once you pay a membership, you have access to everything that makes the game worthwhile. You can pay more for costumes, cosmetic changes, emotes, etc., but that stuff doesn't matter to me.

@runningthroughFIRE - you know what's funny is that I'm usually the same way (I can easily tell you more about the back stories of the worlds of Dragon Age, Fable, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings than I can about US History - yes I know, I suck), but I never got sucked into RS history. They apparently entered a new age recently (and Guthix is dead?) but meh. I keep telling myself I'll learn it (it would probably help game play) but maybe it's better I don't haha.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2016, 07:58:14 AM »
They killed Guthix?!? Damn, he was my favorite deity. 

In college, I'd sit on the couch and watch my roommate play Darksiders because "it's story time" lol.

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2016, 06:04:39 PM »
After years of not playing anything I broke down at got a PS4 for Christmas.  Since I haven't played anything in a while, I picked up a bunch of games during Black Friday since they were anywhere from $8 - $25.  I sell them to Amazon after I'm done (just sold Dragon Age for $17) so net the cost isn't so bad.  What I have:

• The Last of Us Remastered - Awesome!  Never played the original.
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition - If you like the other Dragon Age games, you'll like this one.
  • Metal Gear V - Currently playing.  Really like the flexibility they allow in how you complete the missions.
  • Witcher 3 - Unplayed
  • COD Ghosts - Unplayed (was $8 so figured worth playing through the campaign)
  • Uncharted Series 1-3: Came with PS4, unplayed

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2016, 06:17:37 PM »
Just read today that an area north of Dallas, called Frisco, will be opening the nation's first ever Videogame Museum! Here is a link to the story: http://www.guidelive.com/geek/2016/02/11/first-museum-dedicated-video-games-us-opens-frisco-april. Their website is not fully functional yet. I'm looking forward to visiting once they open.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »
Just picked up the "Last Of Us" for PS3 by trading in 5 old games.  Not a great swap deal, but gets some stuff out of the house and gets me a cool game without paying anything.

BUT (!!) Special Note to Mustachians:  (Somebody may have already mentioned this.)  While in the pawn shop, I was browsing around and asked the clerk, "Hey, why the fuck are all your old PS2 games in a glass case under lock and key?"  He said, "Because they're worth a small fortune now--anywhere from $25-50."  I said, "Holy shit!  I didn't bring mine in to trade because I thought you'd tell me to go throw them in a dumpster."

The guy was totally right.  This week on eBay I sold "Star Wars Battlefront II" for PS2 for $30 and "Silent Hill III" for $40.  :)
So, those old PS2 games you might have sitting on a shelf gathering dust?  Pure gold, baby!  Don't get rid of them at a garage sale for $2 without checking eBay first for the going rate.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
Holy crap! If only I kept all my old games. Why the fook are they seeing a resurgence?

SouthernTransplant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
Don't get rid of them at a garage sale for $2 without checking eBay first for the going rate.

It is pretty ridiculous what some people will pay for video game related items.  I was going through some old stuff at my parents' house, and found the box for the original NES version of Final Fantasy.  Note - just the box, not the game.

Somebody bought that on Ebay for $15!

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2016, 02:15:01 PM »
Just picked up the "Last Of Us" for PS3 by trading in 5 old games.  Not a great swap deal, but gets some stuff out of the house and gets me a cool game without paying anything.

BUT (!!) Special Note to Mustachians:  (Somebody may have already mentioned this.)  While in the pawn shop, I was browsing around and asked the clerk, "Hey, why the fuck are all your old PS2 games in a glass case under lock and key?"  He said, "Because they're worth a small fortune now--anywhere from $25-50."  I said, "Holy shit!  I didn't bring mine in to trade because I thought you'd tell me to go throw them in a dumpster."

The guy was totally right.  This week on eBay I sold "Star Wars Battlefront II" for PS2 for $30 and "Silent Hill III" for $40.  :)
So, those old PS2 games you might have sitting on a shelf gathering dust?  Pure gold, baby!  Don't get rid of them at a garage sale for $2 without checking eBay first for the going rate.

Along that note, N64 and games = Gold as well

Marty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2016, 07:58:15 AM »

I used to play back in middle school! (2006-2009ish).  Was level 125 back in the day.  I now play OSRS on and off.  It brings back good memories :)

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »

I was very pleasantly surprised that my GBA games (in awesome condition with their original box to be fair) all were worth more than when I bought them new when they first came out, same for my GBA micro. I'm tempted to see what my NES games are worth these days, I bought hundreds of them for a few bucks (at the most) each like 10-15 years ago.

BTW I just bought Fire Emblem Fates, love me some strategy RPGs.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:51:39 PM by wepner »

FrugalHawk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2016, 09:12:36 PM »

I used to play back in middle school! (2006-2009ish).  Was level 125 back in the day.  I now play OSRS on and off.  It brings back good memories :)

I now feel ancient, thanks. :)

I was very pleasantly surprised that my GBA games (in awesome condition with their original box to be fair) all were worth more than when I bought them new when they first came out, same for my GBA micro. I'm tempted to see what my NES games are worth these days, I bought hundreds of them for a few bucks (at the most) each like 10-15 years ago.

BTW I just bought Fire Emblem Fates, love me some strategy RPGs.

I'm currently in the middle of selling off 90% of my video game collection and yes, old handheld games that are legitimate copies sell for a lot in most cases. If you have the original box and manual you are going to make a good chunk of change. Anything older and kept "Like New" is going to be worth ebaying.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2016, 11:43:50 PM »

Actually it should be N64 and non sports game are gold. Most of the 1st party games are getting pricey as well

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2016, 05:38:16 AM »
Don't get rid of them at a garage sale for $2 without checking eBay first for the going rate.

It is pretty ridiculous what some people will pay for video game related items.  I was going through some old stuff at my parents' house, and found the box for the original NES version of Final Fantasy.  Note - just the box, not the game.

Somebody bought that on Ebay for $15!

Check eBay for Earthbound (complete)...

EcoCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #234 on: March 07, 2016, 03:40:07 AM »
Heyo. Another gamer here.

Work and life have taken a firm hold recently so not too much time for it. PC gamer, co-op gamer of PS4 (with wifey).

Currently playing Fallout 4 with a dash of TF2 and an occasional jaunt in Civ5.

Mustachianism at its finest this last Steam sale I was watching and watching and couldn't motivate myself to spend the money on any of the sales of the stuff on my wishlist. I was also waiting for X-Com 2 and now that its out I haven't bought it.... I have decided to wait for the eventual sale and get some reuse out of my current collection.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #235 on: March 07, 2016, 08:11:56 AM »
Question:

I got gifted a Wii yesterday. What games are worth the $10 - $20 they seem to sell for on the used market in my area?

my kids are 8 and 10, i'm older than that and tend to like dragon age/ witcher type of stuff.

Mariokart, obviously, and I hear that Zelda is good. anything else?

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #236 on: March 07, 2016, 08:20:54 AM »
Question:

I got gifted a Wii yesterday. What games are worth the $10 - $20 they seem to sell for on the used market in my area?

my kids are 8 and 10, i'm older than that and tend to like dragon age/ witcher type of stuff.

The games I have and like for the Wii are Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, MarioKart, the Sports Resort, and the Exercise that goes with the board, Little Ninjas was/is cool too.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #237 on: March 07, 2016, 08:33:43 AM »
Question:

I really enjoyed Ōkami. Great use of the Wiimote.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #238 on: March 07, 2016, 12:16:42 PM »
I spent a not insignificant portion of my College Career playing Skyrim.
For RTS's, I loved Age of Mythology. Tickled all my fancies.

Recently, I have gotten hooked on Baldur's Gate Style games:
Divinity: Original Sin
Pillars of Eternity

These games are super hard and really make me sweat my way to victory.

Classics that I still bust out:
KOTOR 2
Dragon Age Origins
Any Total War Game

My Recent sleeper pick was this game called "The Banner Saga." Got it for .97 cents on Steam. 24 hours of pure storytelling and good gameplay.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #239 on: March 08, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »
Just started playing Battlefield 4 after getting it on eBay for $8.

Also been enjoying a lot of Call of Duty: MW3.

If anyone wants to add me on PSN my ID is A-Train2001

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #240 on: March 08, 2016, 02:46:53 PM »
My brother and several friends are diving headlong into The Division....as much as I hate buying games on release, I'm a little bit tempted.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: March 11, 2016, 04:09:41 PM »
Hooked on Animal Crossing: New Leaf. You play as a kid who is mayor of a town populated with cute talking animals.... It makes sense in the game. Anyway, I love it because it's relaxing, cute, and interactive as heck. The NPCs are very well developed, and I actually feel attachment to the characters.

Tom Nook is still the same sweet talking Tanooki who always seems to own you with massive debt. You can upgrade your house for a "paltry" sum of hundreds thousands of bells (in game currency). Pay him off and he tempts you to upgrade again and again, with larger loans each time, but after the first upgrade you don't need to agree to him.

It's also fun managing the town, doing public works projects, ordinances, etc. So much to do, so much time, so many characters and multiplayer for more awesome.

Fun game.

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2016, 06:31:48 PM »
I hope Dayz comes out for PS4 soon.  Right now I'm playing Witcher 3, which I got during Black Friday for cheap. 

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2016, 02:12:21 AM »

Pillars of Eternity

KOTOR 2
Dragon Age Origins
Any Total War Game

My Recent sleeper pick was this game called "The Banner Saga." Got it for .97 cents on Steam. 24 hours of pure storytelling and good gameplay.

Oh man those are some great games! Have you tried the Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate? A new expansion is coming out this year? Looks like Planescape Torment is getting a sequel too.

Divinity: Original Sin is a great game, runs pretty well of PS4 and I ended up with a review copy. KOTR is great too, recently I played some Witcher 3 and Fallout 4

Taking a break from RPGs right now and tackling The Division.

Has this come up in the thread before? Saving money on games with sites like Cheapassgamer and Best Buy's Gamer's Club Unlocked.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #244 on: March 12, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »

Pillars of Eternity

KOTOR 2
Dragon Age Origins
Any Total War Game

Oh man those are some great games! Have you tried the Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate? A new expansion is coming out this year? Looks like Planescape Torment is getting a sequel too.

Divinity: Original Sin is a great game, runs pretty well of PS4 and I ended up with a review copy. KOTR is great too, recently I played some Witcher 3 and Fallout 4

Taking a break from RPGs right now and tackling The Division.

Has this come up in the thread before? Saving money on games with sites like Cheapassgamer and Best Buy's Gamer's Club Unlocked.
I was just about to ask if anybody's playing The Division yet.  I'm tempted (20% off via Amazon Prime- I don't have GCU), but still it's damned expensive.

ElGrillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2016, 12:40:44 AM »
Civ 5 is my favorite game right now, and in the top 3 of all time for sure. I've probably logged over 750 hours on it, although that's nothing compared to what some of the more serious players do. Right now I'm trying to work my way up to beating deity (the highest level I can consistently beat is king, and I've beaten emporer a few times.)

Also, Europa Universalis IV is another good one, but the games take weeks for me to finish and ain't nobody got time for that.

A game I played recently called Journey is really interesting. It's not a typical game in that you aren't trying to get points or anything, but it has beautiful graphics and is just a really cool concept.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:45:52 AM by ElGrillo »

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #246 on: March 14, 2016, 07:14:22 AM »
Picked up Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright. Liking it so far. I enjoy being able to grind my characters up, so I wanted to start with Birthright and do Conquest second. Hard Casual, no soft resets for me, unless I fail to recruit a character or something like that.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #247 on: March 14, 2016, 09:02:11 AM »
Picked up Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright. Liking it so far. I enjoy being able to grind my characters up, so I wanted to start with Birthright and do Conquest second. Hard Casual, no soft resets for me, unless I fail to recruit a character or something like that.

I thought about getting it, but I want to play Conquest. This game kinda seems to have a little East vs. West thing goong on and I kinda like that. That is, until I heard you had to *stop* your King from doing his thing if you play Nohr. What if I *wanted* to be the big bad Western kingdom? :(

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2016, 09:04:30 AM »

I thought about getting it, but I want to play Conquest. This game kinda seems to have a little East vs. West thing goong on and I kinda like that. That is, until I heard you had to *stop* your King from doing his thing if you play Nohr. What if I *wanted* to be the big bad Western kingdom? :(

My roommate got Conquest, he says the king is such an a-hole that you can't wait to stop him. That being said, I see your point. That's what I liked about the Fable series.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #249 on: March 14, 2016, 10:04:05 AM »

My roommate got Conquest, he says the king is such an a-hole that you can't wait to stop him. That being said, I see your point. That's what I liked about the Fable series.
The Fable series was great for this, but I wish there were a few more morally grey options.  Most of the choices in that game are pretty clearly good or evil, and having the little morality point thing pop up over your head immediately after a decision took away all the uncertainty.  The very first big decision you make early on in the third game blew me away, but the rest of the game was pretty standard kill someone or show mercy, enslave someone or set them free, etc.  It would make the game's pureness trait a little more complicated and would be harder to come up with meaningful events, but I'd love to see more scenarios where decsions aren't so clear cut.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!