Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781469 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2016, 01:59:04 PM »
OK MMM Gamers - here's a question for you.

I'd like to dip my toes into the water on PC games, specifically naval battle types.  BUT......GF and I have an ancient PC (~9 years old) that doesn't cut the mustard - not enough memory, computing power or video card....

So....I'm looking for a new computer that has enough computing horsepower, memory and graphics capabilities to run something like World of Warships but that doesn't break the bank.

In perusing various retailers, I see where "gamer" PC's can be had from $450 up to asinine price points.  "Business models" seem to be the same price range - bottom end on up.  So, what's the REAL difference between a "gamer" PC and a standard PC?

But.....this has to be a jack of all trades machine - Excel, Word, standard internet access, simple photo editing, iTunes, etc, etc, etc.

So, what hardware features should I be looking for?  How much memory / hard drive / what minimum spec on the video, etc?  And about what price point should this be?  What advantages are there going to above minimum threshold hardware?  Where is the sweet spot in terms of performance versus price?

I have zero base of knowledge when it comes to a PC suitable for gaming.  Give me something so I'm not just pointing at something and going "yeah.....I suppose so."

Generally the biggest difference will be in video card capability and the power supply (which is needed to drive a higher-end video card).

Nowadays I would go with 8GB RAM as a bare minimum (preferably 16GB) and an SSD for your primary disk (240GB SSDs are down to ~$60 on sale).  It's not the greatest time to be buying video cards; I paid $298 for one of these over a year ago, and as you can see the price hasn't changed much. nVidia should be releasing their Pascal architecture at some point in the relatively near future, which may drive prices down a bit on current-gen stuff. You can go a lot cheaper than that - depends what you're playing (and at what resolution/detail settings).

You may find this thread helpful. :)

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2016, 09:21:33 AM »
Generally the biggest difference will be in video card capability and the power supply (which is needed to drive a higher-end video card).

Nowadays I would go with 8GB RAM as a bare minimum (preferably 16GB) and an SSD for your primary disk (240GB SSDs are down to ~$60 on sale).  It's not the greatest time to be buying video cards; I paid $298 for one of these over a year ago, and as you can see the price hasn't changed much. nVidia should be releasing their Pascal architecture at some point in the relatively near future, which may drive prices down a bit on current-gen stuff. You can go a lot cheaper than that - depends what you're playing (and at what resolution/detail settings).

I have had great luck with buying used, last generation parts. You can probably get much more bang for your buck than a "bargain bin" 450$ computer from a big box store.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »

I have had great luck with buying used, last generation parts. You can probably get much more bang for your buck than a "bargain bin" 450$ computer from a big box store.

Absolutely - I wouldn't buy a low-cost prebuilt machine with gaming in mind. Too many compromises.

FrugalWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Wad
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2016, 10:15:47 AM »
I have my once-a-year replay of Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic going on. This game is probably my favorite. Every time, the main character (no spoilers even for a 15-year old game) is a female for me.

I've replayed the Arkham series recently too. I haven't picked up Arkham Knight yet, since I'm not big on spending $60 for having plastic wrap around my game.

I've been replaying a lot of games with fun stories. I finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution for the however manyth time too. What a great game.

I finished Ori and the Blind Forest. What a beautiful and fun game. The story isn't all that great, but as a platformer it's just as fun as the old Nintendo games for me.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »
No Name Guy - The recommended system requirements for World of Warships are quite easy to hit.

The most cost-effective way to assemble a system is to DIY with either new or used parts OR buy a used "custom" gaming system (i.e. a system built by places that just assemble systems to spec with off-the-shelf consumer parts).

There are loads of YouTube tutorials on how to build a PC. Many of them are terrible. My personal favorite is this one: https://youtu.be/ea_bs5G1yYU. It's a few years old but the assemble of a non-cutting edge system will be identical to this today.

For a reasonably future proof NEW system for your needs, I'd look at:

-Intel Core i5 Skylake
-8GB RAM
-cheapest motherboard that fits the processor, RAM, and chose case from a REPUTABLE brand like ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, or Asrock
-Graphics card: GTX 950
-Corsair CX430 power supply
-Storage: an SSD of at least 256GB. I like Samsung's EVO series but most brands are pretty good/reliable these days
-Case: personal preference

For a USED system, you're mainly shopping based on CPU and graphics cards, not so much anything else.

I'd want to see a Core i5 from at least the Sandy Bridge generation or newer, so the model numbers would be i5-2XXX or i5-3XXXX.

For an NVIDIA card, roughly 470/560Ti/660/750/950 or higher. For AMD, you have to have a GCN-based card. Google the model number of any card to make sure. In general, it's either Radeon HD 79XX or just about all of the Radeon R series. The older AMD cards are no longer receiving support.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2016, 12:54:46 PM »
Thanks all.

I really know zero about putting together machines.  To be blunt, I'm IN a high tech business....but by natural talent and inclination I'm 100% and then some on the airplane side of it (e.g. physical world high tech - composites, titanium, hauling sh*t loads of tourouns 7000 miles around the world, blowing stuff up from a long way off).  Computers, and for that matter, most any "high tech" electronics (radar, radio, etc), to me are, anymore, black boxes to me.  I used to be aware of this stuff....a long, long time ago, in a far away Galaxy, when it was 8088, 286, 386, 486 and yes, even into the Pentium era.  I suppose I'm a Luddite to an extent....but I only have so much bandwidth (no pun intended) to stay on top of stuff.  I'm sure I'll learn stuff as I go....not like I don't want to, but I'm starting from zero.  Appreciate the leg up.

Goblin - thanks for the concrete recommendations.

Mr.Bubbles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »
League of legends has become my go to time sink, it takes quite a while to get into it and understanding the strategies behind it but it is COMPLETELY FREE, theres no need to buy anything with real money as it is all cosmetic, also, my old toaster of a laptop can even run it so it does not take a super computer. (however a mouse is highly recommended, track pads are not the easiest to use)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2016, 01:18:42 PM »
Thanks all.

I really know zero about putting together machines.  To be blunt, I'm IN a high tech business....but by natural talent and inclination I'm 100% and then some on the airplane side of it (e.g. physical world high tech - composites, titanium, hauling sh*t loads of tourouns 7000 miles around the world, blowing stuff up from a long way off).  Computers, and for that matter, most any "high tech" electronics (radar, radio, etc), to me are, anymore, black boxes to me.  I used to be aware of this stuff....a long, long time ago, in a far away Galaxy, when it was 8088, 286, 386, 486 and yes, even into the Pentium era.  I suppose I'm a Luddite to an extent....but I only have so much bandwidth (no pun intended) to stay on top of stuff.  I'm sure I'll learn stuff as I go....not like I don't want to, but I'm starting from zero.  Appreciate the leg up.

I'm really tempted to upgrade my current setup - I'm transcoding bluray rips and extra cores would be nice.

I currently have an i5 3570k (with retail heatsink/fan) with a Gigabyte Z77N-wifi motherboard and 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 RAM. I was thinking about listing it for $200 + shipping. My roommate has a mini-ITX case/power supply he'd probably sell, too, just in case you're interested.

You'd need a case, power supply, and an SSD or hard disk (unless you wanted to buy my current SSD that has a legit copy of Win10 already installed on it).  Onboard video will be fine for non-gaming use, but for any decent gaming you'd want to put a video card in it (depending on the card, you may need more power than a mini-ITX power supply could provide, so you may want a larger case with a normal ATX power supply).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 01:22:13 PM by JLee »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2016, 01:32:10 PM »
Thanks all.

If you want to learn, it's easy to self-teach. I learned by videos like that one. Feel free to PM.

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2016, 07:14:19 PM »
I switched from PC games to playing a ton of free games on my Ipad. Clash of Kings and Walking Dead are my favorite.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2016, 06:52:13 AM »
FYI

http://thebests.kotaku.com/the-24-best-classic-pc-games-1722323022

Good list. I was about to ask where TIE Fighter was...but it's there, just near the end. :D

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2016, 07:48:32 AM »
Clash of Kings

Is this the same as clash of clans?

I hate "free" games like this. You get a limited number of actions you can do (unless you purchase gems/gold/diamonds/spells/takeyourpick for real $$) and then you have to wait 5/10/20/60+++ minutes for your action to complete before you can do other actions.

It's really meant to frustrate you and have you buy resources with real $$ to avoid some of the downtime.

The worst is that the games are usually super addictive and very competitive (PvP) leading to a pay 2 win situation. No thanks!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2016, 08:25:31 AM »
Clash of Kings

I hate "free" games like this. You get a limited number of actions you can do (unless you purchase gems/gold/diamonds/spells/takeyourpick for real $$) and then you have to wait 5/10/20/60+++ minutes for your action to complete before you can do other actions.

It's really meant to frustrate you and have you buy resources with real $$ to avoid some of the downtime.

The worst is that the games are usually super addictive and very competitive (PvP) leading to a pay 2 win situation. No thanks!

I really don't view today's 'mobile games' as real games, but I'm old and maybe crotchety. :P

Quake III Arena is a real game. And it's 17 years old...damn.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2016, 10:34:06 AM »
Hello fellow MMM gamers!

I am also another RPG fan and play on PC, mobile and PS3.  Some of my all-time favorites have been: Fallout 1/2/3, Deus EX Human Revolution, Mass Effect 1/2/3, Final Fantasy (I've only played 1/2/3/7/10/12), Chrono Trigger, GTA 3/Vice City/San Andreas/4, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock Infinite.  I also was quite addicted to Counter-Strike/CS:Source for a long time, too.

My rig is a crappy (at least for games) laptop (HP 4540s) with integrated HD 4000 graphics.  Has anyone used something like this on their laptops to use a full video card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q4VMLF6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_9&smid=AUA54L6P8CKSP?  I'm pretty sure once I get around to it, I'll be ordering that and a 750 TI to play some of my unplayable PC library - really no rush though since I still have too many games to play!

For mobile, I don't play much as I don't like most mobile games, but I have discovered SNES emulation on my phone and have been playing ROMS any chance I get.  Plus I really like that I can turn on fast-forward to move along a lot faster than at the old-school pace.  Finally, I have a chance to play some of the games that I wanted to as a kid.

The PS3 is mainly used for streaming, but I have some games to play on that too!

I think I've become a hoarder of free and/or cheap games - it's too easy with sites like slickdeals.net to get good deals on games and I'm ok with waiting years until games get < $5 before I buy or even consider.  I also get all of Origin's "On the House" games as well as too many indiegala giveaways for me to ever get to.  I think I am pretty set for a few years at least!

Games that I'm playing currently:
- Lufia & the Fortress of Doom (rom)
- Command & Conquer Red Alert (PC)
- Mafia 2 (PC)
- FFX HD Remaster (PS3)
- Amnesia: the Dark Descent (PC)

Off the top of my head, my current queue for games to play that I already have since I already got these for really good deals or free (the PC games are awaiting my trial of the above laptop video card adapter):
- Witcher 2 (PC)
- Dragon Age: Origins (PC)
- Jade Empire (PC)
- Skyrim (PC)
- Sly Cooper Series (PS3)
- Ni No Kuni (PS3)
- Mirror's Edge (PS3)
- FFX-2 (PS3)
- Oddworld Abe's Oddyssey (PC)
- XCom: Enemy Unknown (PC)
- Dark Souls (PC)
- Hitman Absolution (PC)
- too many SNES roms!
- lots of PC games!

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2016, 11:35:17 AM »
Clash of Kings

Clash of Kings is nothing like Clash of Clans. It's exactly like Game of War.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2016, 11:39:48 AM »

I'm really tempted to upgrade my current setup - I'm transcoding bluray rips and extra cores would be nice.

I currently have.....

That's four times the computer I'm using as a "gaming rig" right now. Lols. Still rocking a single-core CPU and an old AGP Radeon. For realz.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2016, 11:50:19 AM »

I currently have.....

That's four times the computer I'm using as a "gaming rig" right now. Lols. Still rocking a single-core CPU and an old AGP Radeon. For realz.

You are an impressively patient person, haha. I play with incredibly high end gear at work - if my home stuff was slow I'd go crazy.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »
Switch - I'd be quite skeptical of that personally. Main reason is the severe bandwidth limitation (graphics cards are meant to get 16 PCIe lanes, not <4.

Mainstream tech companies have demoed external graphics adapters ever since the Thunderbolt spec was implemented and even with that connection I don't think anything actually got to market.

By the time you provide the GPU, power supply, that adapter, and an external display, you're 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to a decently spec'd budget system

If you do try it, I'll be curious to hear back.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2016, 12:20:04 PM »
Switch - I'd be quite skeptical of that personally. Main reason is the severe bandwidth limitation (graphics cards are meant to get 16 PCIe lanes, not <4.

Mainstream tech companies have demoed external graphics adapters ever since the Thunderbolt spec was implemented and even with that connection I don't think anything actually got to market.

By the time you provide the GPU, power supply, that adapter, and an external display, you're 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to a decently spec'd budget system

The Razer Core is the most recent thing I've seen on that subject.

PCI Express 3.0 has enough bandwidth that cards don't need all 16 lanes (benchmarks show that even 3.0 x4 doesn't cause a huge performance hit), but I'm a bit skeptical regardless. External power is a must, and at that point you have a bare GPU and power supply sitting on a desk. I'd just as soon build a budget desktop.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2016, 01:04:05 PM »

PCI Express 3.0 has enough bandwidth that cards don't need all 16 lanes (benchmarks show that even 3.0 x4 doesn't cause a huge performance hit), but I'm a bit skeptical regardless. External power is a must, and at that point you have a bare GPU and power supply sitting on a desk. I'd just as soon build a budget desktop.

Thanks, those are good points.  I was more just planning to buy it to extend the life of my current laptop and play some of my currently unplayable games on the TV or monitor that I already have.  The laptop has an older i5 processor with 4gb of ram, currently.  I plan to order another 4gb stick of ram (since this laptop is capped at 8gb max) and a better video card.  I already have an ATX 350 watt power supply - maybe I'll try to build some kind of enclosure for the psu and adapter/vid card.

What turned me on to the possibility of the concept was this youtube review: https://youtu.be/bP_8EYQ-2RA.  The few amazon reviews are generally favorable, as well.  It seems like it would work for my uses (playing with older games).  I really don't want to spend the extra money to build an entire rig, but I also don't want to waste my time.  I'll report back with when I go through with it.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2016, 01:07:52 PM »

Thanks, those are good points.  I was more just planning to buy it to extend the life of my current laptop and play some of my currently unplayable games on the TV or monitor that I already have.  The laptop has an older i5 processor with 4gb of ram, currently.  I plan to order another 4gb stick of ram (since this laptop is capped at 8gb max) and a better video card.  I already have an ATX 350 watt power supply - maybe I'll try to build some kind of enclosure for the psu and adapter/vid card.

What turned me on to the possibility of the concept was this youtube review: https://youtu.be/bP_8EYQ-2RA.  The few amazon reviews are generally favorable, as well.  It seems like it would work for my uses (playing with older games).  I really don't want to spend the extra money to build an entire rig, but I also don't want to waste my time.  I'll report back with when I go through with it.

What processor/chipset does your laptop have? My little cheap Acer (2nd gen i3) claims that it supports 8GB, but I have 16GB (2x8) in it now and it works great.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2016, 01:37:15 PM »

What processor/chipset does your laptop have? My little cheap Acer (2nd gen i3) claims that it supports 8GB, but I have 16GB (2x8) in it now and it works great.

Well the laptop model is the HP 4540S with an i5-3210M (this is actually what I bought: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4904362.  I've found reports in HP's support forums of this specific laptop model not working with 16GB of ram.  I believe HP originally stated in the specs that it would work with 16GB but multiple users have run into issues and have had to go back to 8GB.  HP has since updated the spec.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2016, 01:52:59 PM »

Well the laptop model is the HP 4540S with an i5-3210M (this is actually what I bought: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4904362.  I've found reports in HP's support forums of this specific laptop model not working with 16GB of ram.  I believe HP originally stated in the specs that it would work with 16GB but multiple users have run into issues and have had to go back to 8GB.  HP has since updated the spec.

Interesting. The CPU supports 32GB.  Amazon reviews indicate mixed success running 16GB RAM - one user only had 8GB recognized, and another was able to run 16GB. It does appear that 8GB is the safe option, though.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »
Can't play any MMOs because the internet is way too slow. I used to play DCUO, and wanted to try FFXIV but that's gonna have to wait till we move somewhere that offers better internet options.

Playing through Fire Emblem:Awakening right now. I can't wait for Fire Emblem:Fates to come out. Nohr kingdom all the way!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:17:54 AM by EverCurious »

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2016, 11:20:31 AM »
Just finished "The Last of Us" on my PS3 yesterday. Big thank you for everyone that recommended this great game! Now I am doing a replay in the Game Plus version. I feel like a tourist though, lol!

SouthernTransplant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »
Both of my brothers and numerous friends all have PS4's, so I'm excited that I was able to pick one up on Craigslist for a good price: PS4 complete with box, two controllers, FarCry4, Madden 16, Dying Light, Metal Gear Solid V, and Wolfenstein New Order for $300 (of course without having to pay sales tax/shipping).

However, I was more than a little dismayed to then realize that YOU CAN'T PLAY MULTIPLAYER ON THE PS4 WITHOUT SUBSCRIBING TO PSPLUS.  Shame on me for not doing my research and being pretty far removed from next gen systems, but seriously?  $5-10/month just for the ability to play with your friends?

I ponied up for a subscription, because I really enjoy playing online, but this seems ridiculous to me.  Just a heads up for any others considering a next gen system that weren't aware of this.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2016, 02:08:44 PM »
So after hearing y'all gush about Skyrim, I decided to pick it back up. After getting used to the UI and controls, it's not that bad compared to the other Elder Scrolls games (and still pretty fun on an absolute scale). I still miss the athletics/acrobatics/hand-to-hand/unarmored/etc. skills that made playing character archetypes other than "whack the enemy with your sword" more viable, though. One of the fun parts of Morrowind was being a super Khajit that could leap over buildings and claw people to death, or a naked mage (because armor hindered magic in that game) who could stay alive by levitating out of the enemy's reach.

However, I was more than a little dismayed to then realize that YOU CAN'T PLAY MULTIPLAYER ON THE PS4 WITHOUT SUBSCRIBING TO PSPLUS.  Shame on me for not doing my research and being pretty far removed from next gen systems, but seriously?  $5-10/month just for the ability to play with your friends?

Consoles (and proprietary things in general) are evil. I'm glad to hear that another person has realized it.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2016, 02:21:31 PM »
Both of my brothers and numerous friends all have PS4's, so I'm excited that I was able to pick one up on Craigslist for a good price: PS4 complete with box, two controllers, FarCry4, Madden 16, Dying Light, Metal Gear Solid V, and Wolfenstein New Order for $300 (of course without having to pay sales tax/shipping).

I ponied up for a subscription, because I really enjoy playing online, but this seems ridiculous to me.  Just a heads up for any others considering a next gen system that weren't aware of this.

I was furious when I got my X360 - a couple of years ago you needed to pay to be able to... wait for it... use *Internet Exporer* on it. And Netflix (in addition to Netflix's fee).

I mean.. what the fuck, seriously. They've changed that now, but still.

Thing is, this is smart business - don't make money on one off sales, make money on an ongoing basis. Once you have someone paying you monthly, they are likely to keep paying you monthly. Same for software these days - Adobe, for example, and MS Office - instead of being HUNDREDS of dollars up front, it is a monthly drip drip drip.

Smart people basically don't do any of these things. Businesses, sure, if you get the monthly value. Netflix, sure, if you watch more than a couple of films a month. But paying your ISP *plus* a middle company *plus* sub fees? Naaaw.

Side note - double DRM drives me bonkers. I was thinking about picking up Final Fantasy VIII on Steam - but you also have to have a shitty Square account that, when their servers are down, means you can't play. Your single player offline game.

"Thanks".

So much in modern life, which could be easy, is made difficult - and of course the ongoing irony is that the only people who don't see "WE OWN THE COPYRIGHT, COPYING IS ILLEGAL" bullshit are those that have illegally copied. The only ones who don't have to deal with intrusive DRM in their computer games are those who pirate.

When a pirated version of a game is better than the paid version... I mean actual, loads faster because of crap being taken out, no connecting to validation servers, etc etc etc... Ugh. Depressing.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »
daverobev - In a case like you cite, I see nothing wrong ethically in owning a legitimate license but actually playing the pirated version.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2016, 03:25:32 PM »

PS+ goes on sale for $40/yr.  It's not cheap, but $3.33/mo is better than $5-10. :)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2016, 07:16:01 PM »
daverobev - In a case like you cite, I see nothing wrong ethically in owning a legitimate license but actually playing the pirated version.

Agreed. Which is why I bought the 3ds version of Xenoblade Chronicles. After playing it on Dolphin, heh.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2016, 09:22:19 PM »
For the past 6 months I've been playing primarily the 3DS. It's a fantastic system. In that time I've been playing Super Smash Bros 4 and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. I've been a Nintendo fan for over 10 years. Next on the list is Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem when that comes out. Wont' be getting a new console anytime soon.

My favorite games are the ones you get really involved in and get hundreds of hours out a single game. I'm approaching 500 hours in Monster Hunter 4 (I'd normally feel guilty about, but >half of those hours I played at work, getting paid) and even then I'm just reaching my satisfaction of playing the game.

I get too overwhelmed by games like Skyrim and The Witcher. There's so much stuff to do and so many chances to miss little things. It makes me feel quite stressful.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2016, 02:07:08 AM »
Alien Isolation. It occasionally scares the crap out of me. I love it.

Oh yeah, should have said xbox 360. I also play clash of clans on my phone a lot. Considering upgrading but still have about 30 games I haven't played that I downloaded from xbox gold. Not kidding. I think I have a total of 70 games on my console including my sons. Its almost full of course.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:12:15 AM by mrpercentage »

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:50 AM »
For the past 6 months I've been playing primarily the 3DS. It's a fantastic system. In that time I've been playing Super Smash Bros 4 and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. I've been a Nintendo fan for over 10 years. Next on the list is Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem when that comes out. Wont' be getting a new console anytime soon.

My favorite games are the ones you get really involved in and get hundreds of hours out a single game. I'm approaching 500 hours in Monster Hunter 4 (I'd normally feel guilty about, but >half of those hours I played at work, getting paid) and even then I'm just reaching my satisfaction of playing the game.

I get too overwhelmed by games like Skyrim and The Witcher. There's so much stuff to do and so many chances to miss little things. It makes me feel quite stressful.

I considered getting a 3DS over the holidays because it seemed very fun, but ultimately did not as I have enough other platforms to play on. However, getting a lot of hours out of a single game is something I love as it means it is not boring and is most likely immersive.

I can understand how you might get overwhelmed with Skyrim, but honestly, it's a great game. One of the reasons is that you do not have to do anything really. I mean you could live out your characters life as a hunter/scavenger, blacksmith, potions makeer, etc. Then there are so many radiant quests all you have to do is choose. Since its so massive, you can easily sink in 500-1000 hours of gameplay and still not do everything. One of the best bang for your buck games IMO.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2016, 09:09:49 AM »

PS+ goes on sale for $40/yr.  It's not cheap, but $3.33/mo is better than $5-10. :)

Even $0.01 is too much to pay for something you shouldn't need to buy in the first place. It's the difference between being a principled person and a consumer sucka -- it's offensive.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »

Even $0.01 is too much to pay for something you shouldn't need to buy in the first place. It's the difference between being a principled person and a consumer sucka -- it's offensive.
Oh, so now I'm a consumer sucka with no principles!  Maybe I'll go buy a truck now so I can drive it through NYC a few times!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2016, 02:01:53 PM »
I bought Spacecom and FTL from humble this week. Thanks for mentioning it.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2016, 10:56:33 AM »
So after hearing y'all gush about Skyrim, I decided to pick it back up. After getting used to the UI and controls, it's not that bad compared to the other Elder Scrolls games (and still pretty fun on an absolute scale). I still miss the athletics/acrobatics/hand-to-hand/unarmored/etc. skills that made playing character archetypes other than "whack the enemy with your sword" more viable, though. One of the fun parts of Morrowind was being a super Khajit that could leap over buildings and claw people to death, or a naked mage (because armor hindered magic in that game) who could stay alive by levitating out of the enemy's reach.

Consoles (and proprietary things in general) are evil. I'm glad to hear that another person has realized it.

You can still do all kinds of nifty stuff with your skyrim character, you don't have to just sword people, though it may require you to change the difficulty based on the build you go with.  You could be a mage that specializes in illusion - so you calm people, or make them frenzy/fight, and of course you can make yourself invisible.  It's not as easy as just bashing people with a sword or warhammer, but if you self impose limitations you will learn to survive with a different fight style, and once your skill grows in those areas you can be pretty formidable. 

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »

You can still do all kinds of nifty stuff with your skyrim character, you don't have to just sword people, though it may require you to change the difficulty based on the build you go with.  You could be a mage that specializes in illusion - so you calm people, or make them frenzy/fight, and of course you can make yourself invisible.  It's not as easy as just bashing people with a sword or warhammer, but if you self impose limitations you will learn to survive with a different fight style, and once your skill grows in those areas you can be pretty formidable.

Yup, I played as a ranger with a bow - spent so much time on that game I got sneak to 100, could pretty much 1 shot anyone from across the map by the end with all the sneak multipliers

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2016, 11:20:53 AM »

Yup, I played as a ranger with a bow - spent so much time on that game I got sneak to 100, could pretty much 1 shot anyone from across the map by the end with all the sneak multipliers
I always thought the bow/arrow skill tree was disporportionately strong in Skyrim.  Melee characters have pretty much no option against you as long as you have a ledge or rock or something to stand on, and ranged projectiles from NPCs are pretty easy to dodge in most cases.  Sneak + dual daggers/bow was how I played my last character as well.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2016, 11:22:04 AM »

I did multiple play throughs with different styles.  At first I was like "illusion, meh not that useful.  alteration, meh not that useful".   If you limit yourself and force yourself to use only a few skill trees though it gives a totally different perspective and style of play.  Plus once you get your skill up in a certain tree and fully perk it out it can be amazing. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2016, 11:25:34 AM »
I always thought the bow/arrow skill tree was disporportionately strong in Skyrim.  Melee characters have pretty much no option against you as long as you have a ledge or rock or something to stand on, and ranged projectiles from NPCs are pretty easy to dodge in most cases.  Sneak + dual daggers/bow was how I played my last character as well.

A lot of things are disproportionate and unrealistic in that game.  You can just grind out your smithing and making dragon armor fairly early in the game.  Gives you a massive advantage compared to working on other less useful skill trees.  I found playing as a pure mage extremely difficult compared to an archer or a warrior.  But I think that is why you can change the difficulty up/down to suit whatever character/style you are going for, so it's highly adaptable and you can still get a fun and unique play through even by self imposed limitations.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2016, 11:33:03 AM »
I am a regular WoW player and raid as a monk healer.  We are currently in the lull between expansions though so I am bored with it.   

We got in on a good deal at Best buy - a 40" smart TV plus an XBox one for $500.  We needed a TV anyways so it worked out that the XBOx was like $130 more.  I am currently enjoying playing Fallout 4 in the limited time I can play it. 

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2016, 12:49:13 AM »

With Xbox Live you get a free game every month. Technically two if you count the 360 game that is backwards compatible. Also I got a year subscription for $43. It's on sale once in a while for $30. So $3.58/month is not a bad deal IMO. That's less than a cup of Starbucks, which I don't drink.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2016, 06:10:22 AM »
With Xbox Live you get a free game every month. Technically two if you count the 360 game that is backwards compatible. Also I got a year subscription for $43. It's on sale once in a while for $30. So $3.58/month is not a bad deal IMO. That's less than a cup of Starbucks, which I don't drink.

Also less than a carwash, motorbike insurance, HOA fees, transit pass, Netflix, those 'box of crap' subscriptions (LootCrate etc), haircut, toilet paper...

Which I don't buy. Except the toilet paper. (I take your point, just playing).

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2016, 10:31:45 AM »
I bought Civilization 5 for $7.50 last week... and then spent 8 hours playing it yesterday. Forgot how awesome a Civ game is!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2016, 10:41:11 AM »
I just picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider yesterday for $9.13.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177850

I am not far into it, but so far it's worth every penny. The game is beautiful.

Edit: Need for Speed Most Wanted is free today: http://slickdeals.net/f/8480439-pc-digital-download-need-for-speed-most-wanted-for-free?v=1
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:38:11 PM by JLee »

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2016, 05:01:51 PM »

A lot of things are disproportionate and unrealistic in that game.  You can just grind out your smithing and making dragon armor fairly early in the game.  Gives you a massive advantage compared to working on other less useful skill trees.  I found playing as a pure mage extremely difficult compared to an archer or a warrior.  But I think that is why you can change the difficulty up/down to suit whatever character/style you are going for, so it's highly adaptable and you can still get a fun and unique play through even by self imposed limitations.

Agreed, started playing through again as a mage and I'm finding it more challenging than with a bow.

Also, been playing some Heroes of The Storm and I'm finding it more enjoyable than LOL, which I played for a long time. There's still a little bit of toxicity that you find with MOBAs, but really not too bad.

Also, if any of you like city builders, I'm recommend looking into Banished. I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but you can probably pick it up for pretty cheap on a steam sale. And there's been some good mods put out for it.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2016, 10:40:21 PM »
Also, if any of you like city builders, I'm recommend looking into Banished. I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but you can probably pick it up for pretty cheap on a steam sale. And there's been some good mods put out for it.

I have Banished, but I haven't downloaded any mods, what would you recommend?