Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781574 times)

E.T.

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1800 on: December 02, 2021, 10:57:29 AM »
Playing Deep Rock Galactic with the spouse and it's excellent. I've been pining for a new co-op game for a while and this fits the bill nicely. We dwarves will dig too greedily and too deep. :D

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1801 on: December 03, 2021, 09:00:09 AM »
Playing Deep Rock Galactic with the spouse and it's excellent. I've been pining for a new co-op game for a while and this fits the bill nicely. We dwarves will dig too greedily and too deep. :D

Played a bunch of that back in Early Access.  I know that there have been several major updates since I last dusted it off.  If I had reliable co-op partners like a gaming spouse, I'd probably load it right back up.  My gaming buddies are mostly scattered to the wind, as middle age is wont to do. 

I've been dabbling (sometimes more) with various Microsoft Game Pass games, since I recently signed up using the 3-years-for-a-dollar trick.  Hard to argue with the value of Game Pass if you're a regular gamer.  I did pick up a couple of 3-month cards on sale during BF sales (3 months turns into 4 months using a automatic renewal trick), so the recurring cost isn't really that high, either, and I've no real desire to spend money on games with the vast library at my fingertips.  Probably the one exception that will slip through is Elden Ring.

Currently playing through Marvel's Avengers.  It's not fantastic, but is entertaining enough in the campaign phase.  Once I reach the endgame, which is purportedly boring, I'll probably drop it and move on to the next thing, which right now looks to be Forza Horizon 5 and/or Mortal Shell.  Before this, I was playing Back 4 Blood, which is pretty fun (and I'll probably play more of).

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1802 on: December 07, 2021, 11:09:53 AM »
I'm looking for recommendations for a game to play over the holidays. I'm looking for something big, immersive, and open world. Something like Skyrim, RDR2, or Fallout. Last game I played like this was Ghosts of Tsushima (which was B+). I tried Horizon Zero Dawn but didn't love the gameplay.

I have a ps4, so games for that would be preferred. They don't need to be recent (in fact I'd prefer if they are old enough to be cheaper). I haven't played a ton of different ps4 games, so if you have a suggestion chances are I haven't played it unless I've already mentioned it.

Thoughts?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1803 on: December 07, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
Witcher 3? The Last of Us 1 and 2? Something from the Uncharted series?

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #1804 on: December 07, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »
witcher 3 is a must if you haven't played it
and its expansions are better than the main story in my opinion
some side quests are masterpieces

god of war is kind of open world but so-so open world
spider-man is pretty good action-packed game

final fantasy is a beautiful journey (just ignore all the side quests)
death stranding if you want to kinda meditate

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1805 on: December 07, 2021, 11:59:08 AM »

I have played (and loved) The Last of Us I & II.

Never played Witcher 3 or Uncharted. Don't really know anything about uncharted, I'll look it up.

I've never played any of the Witcher games. Sounds like that should definitely go on the list.
I've also never played any of the God of War games, for whatever reason I haven't liked the look of the game in reviews. But I will check it out again.
I played a couple hours of Spiderman--gameplay was fun but I didn't care about the story.
Regarding Death Stranding, I've played a lot of No Man's Sky this year, so I think I want something a bit more eventful.

And which FF are you referring to?

Thanks both of you!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1806 on: December 07, 2021, 12:00:33 PM »
Witcher has very, very strong writing for a video game. Before RDR2, Mass Effect (not open world) is probably the last thing I played with the same quality of writing.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #1807 on: December 07, 2021, 03:51:27 PM »

Never played Witcher 3 or Uncharted. Don't really know anything about uncharted, I'll look it up.

I've never played any of the Witcher games. Sounds like that should definitely go on the list.
I've also never played any of the God of War games, for whatever reason I haven't liked the look of the game in reviews. But I will check it out again.
I played a couple hours of Spiderman--gameplay was fun but I didn't care about the story.
Regarding Death Stranding, I've played a lot of No Man's Sky this year, so I think I want something a bit more eventful.

Thanks both of you!

GOW (2018) is very good, didnt care for any of the other older ones though
I also rec witcher 3, although i felt the controls were awfully clunky

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #1808 on: December 08, 2021, 11:02:39 AM »
> And which FF are you referring to?

Final Fantasy XV

Witcher 3 is a must if you haven't played it. My recommendation is to set the difficulty 1 level above normal, so all mechanics are necessary (poisons, oils, alchemy)

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #1809 on: December 08, 2021, 04:44:59 PM »
Finally scored a ps5 and loving Astro’s Playroom! Didn’t realize I like 3D platformers so much. Maybe I should have gotten a Switch!

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #1810 on: December 08, 2021, 05:00:30 PM »

Thanks both of you!

GOW (2018) is very good, didnt care for any of the other older ones though
I also rec witcher 3, although i felt the controls were awfully clunky

On the witcher 3 controls, did you use a mouse and keyboard, or a controller? I had to go to a controller even though I absolutely prefer mouse and keyboard for most games, and it was much more intuitive.

My freinds and I have got a lot of mileage out of Tribes of Midgard lately, so if you are interested in a multiplayer rougelike, it might be worth a look! It's nothing earth shattering, but has been a good social experience over the last couple of months.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1811 on: December 08, 2021, 05:29:12 PM »
I played (still really need to go back and finish) Witcher 3 using a controller - the controls and combat definitely are sloppy compared to, say, a Dark Souls game, but it's passable enough not to detract from the experience.  The story and side quests are the highlights of the game, as there are no 'throwaway' quests.  Amazing amount of content.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1812 on: December 13, 2021, 09:33:16 PM »
I continue my conquest of the world in Civ. Down to under 20 leaders I haven't played. Also, I might need to go up in difficulty again as it is starting to feel too easy on Emperor, but I don't really want to go up to Diety where the computer just out-and-out cheats (as opposed to Emperor where it just mostly cheats).

I have been doing some of the "other" victories. Classically I was a science player, but I did a couple religious, tourism, and a conquest or two recently. Gotta mix it up I guess.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1813 on: December 14, 2021, 08:45:07 AM »
Grew up loving JRPGs, but got away from them and haven't really touched one in at least 15 years.  That streak has now been broken, as I gave Octopath Traveler a whirl for the past week off of Game Pass, and it's been pretty fun.  There's definitely something to the experience of kicking back on the couch with a controller and loading up an RPG. 

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #1814 on: December 14, 2021, 12:57:25 PM »
I'm way behind the times console-wise (Wii and PS2) but I'm excited to play Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 over the winter break.  I have 2, but I haven't played it much because a scratch interrupts it about a 1/5 of the way through.  I recently found out that a local game shop will refurb disks for $10CAD, so I'm going to give that a try.  And I ordered Galaxy 1 from eBay for $17CAD.

I used to be an avid gamer, but I have definitely overdone it with video games so (like ice cream) I try not to keep them in the house.  The old consoles were inherited, and I find them pretty easy to resist.  Plus, I have a 6 year old who is quite sensitive to drama / violence, so I constrain myself only to games that she can handle watching (katamari on the PS2, pretty much anything on the Wii).  For better or worse, my true love is FPS, but I've had to let that go.  I loved Black on the PS2, and spent many hours long ago in Taiwanese internet cafes playing LAN battles of Counterstrike with high school students.  Good times. :)

I also really like RPGs, and have several Final Fantasy games for the PS2.  I also have Dragon Quest VIII, which is great but the gender roles are lame.  My wife is talking about getting a PS3, and I've warned her that I'll likely disappear into some games for a while if she does so. :)

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1815 on: January 06, 2022, 09:04:03 AM »
Yooka-Laylee: I 100%'d all worlds but the last one. I want go back and complete it before diving into the side-scrolling sequel. To be clear, this is a very mediocre game (and a sometimes quite bad game), but I enjoyed a lot, perhaps more than the next two games that I put this one down to play.

Psychonauts 2: As with the original, I wanted to like this one more than I actually did. It's much improved mechanically, but I was disappointed that it remains so faithful to game design of the early-2000s (e.g., quite linear, constant cutscenes/losses of player control, stages that feel weirdly empty when you go back to them to grab missed collectables). Funny how Yooka-Laylee being so dated was a plus for me but here it was a negative. But Psychonauts has fun writing and some excellent stages, I just wish I'd waited for a deeper discount.

Hades: I'm finding my enjoyment to frustration ratio leans too far toward frustration. With the same weapon, sometimes I can beat Hades without issue, other times I'll barely make it by the second boss. Seems to be a very well-made game, but perhaps not my genre. I do like the setting a lot, but the story and unlockables aren't really pushing me forward. It's been 30 or so runs, and I might be done.

Three solid 8s on the Salt Cured scale.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1816 on: January 06, 2022, 09:19:37 AM »
I'm playing a bit of LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online), after playing it very briefly a few years or so ago.

It's 'free to play' but very restricted without paying at least something... which is fine... I just don't know how much I like it. I *quite* like it.

Annoyingly there was a load of content given away for free until the end of November, so I missed out on that by just over a month.

Also considering reinstalling Guild Wars 2 (or even Guild Wars). I have an itch to play something, but I'm not quite sure what.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1817 on: January 06, 2022, 09:22:27 AM »
My wife picked up Nier Replicant for me for Christmas and I just completed the first ending. Overall enjoying the game a lot. Combat is slick and at least for the main story it doesn't appear to require grinding. The story is intriguing though perhaps a little too dark (maybe the routes to other endings will be happier?). On the weaker side the game really needs a proper fast travel system and loading times are too frequent/long (I'm playing on PS4).

fell-like-rain

• Stubble
« Reply #1818 on: January 06, 2022, 09:56:45 AM »
I picked up Project Zomboid recently, and I've really gotten into it. It's zombie survival, but very... specific. First off, you're going to die a ton, at least at first. Second, there's a lot of nitty-gritty realism to managing your character. It's not just food and water- if you put on bulky clothing and exert yourself, your character starts sweating. You get tired from running and fighting, and the more tired you get, the slower your melee attacks get. You get panicked if there's too many zombies around, and panic makes your aim with guns worse. Etcetera.

The gameplay is also much less shooty-killy and more sneaky-searchy than most zombie games, but in a way that feels very rewarding. In the early game, you might be fighting off zombies with a saucepan, so upgrading to a hammer feels like a big win, and a crowbar is magical. Or something simple like finding a backpack is amazing, as you can carry a lot more gear that way. If you're looting a house, it's not just searching for guns and food- you could find a road map of the area, or a box of nails, or a book about first aid, or a bottle of sleeping pills, and each of those things is useful to you in the right situation.

There's a lot of mechanics around base-building, farming, foraging and such that I haven't gotten into much yet, as those are more mid/end-game, but I'm excited to explore them (once one of my characters survives longer than a few weeks...)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1819 on: January 06, 2022, 11:54:57 AM »
Aven Colony - one of the free games from the Epic Store. Colonizing a foreign planet.

So far - about the middle of the story - it's quite fun, albeit it is already visible that the game has the problem of many builders - long time motivation. If you are halfway careful there is just nothing that could get you in real stress - except the stupid "can't set upper limit for storage" idiocy. Really. If you forget about it, you produce unneeded stuff until all your storage space is full. Same goes for food.
There even is a "X amount per colonist" mechanic!! But it only works for water. Why not for "edible food" or every single item. Or simply a upper limit. It would be a lot less hassle to double that every time you put down a few habitats and storages than to have to switch off greenhouses and mills and... switch them on again an hour later.

But aside that from I like the graphics, the general design and the overland map.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1820 on: January 10, 2022, 05:05:40 AM »
I picked up Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Black Friday. That should give me months of gameplay.

I love that game. Enjoy!

I've had the game less than a week, and I think I've already sunk 40 hours into it. It's really amazing.

It took just over six weeks for me to 100% the game, including DLC.

Thankfully, I have some books to focus on now.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1821 on: January 10, 2022, 05:51:44 AM »
I am not sure but I think I bought that too last year in a sale.

Still have to do the FF13 series lol

And I bought Grow song of the evertree. I sounded like a quite relaxing, beautiful game, good for the winter. So far it is. Barely in it though. I fear the gardening will become very repetitive.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1822 on: January 10, 2022, 07:20:38 AM »
I just saw the arcade in the small town nearest me reopened, hope they still have Galaga!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1823 on: January 10, 2022, 08:13:53 AM »
You don't have to. I played the first FF13 and didn't care for it much. Skipped the rest. Started FF15 but dropped it early as it was completely uninteresting.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1824 on: January 10, 2022, 10:13:27 AM »
You don't have to. I played the first FF13 and didn't care for it much. Skipped the rest. Started FF15 but dropped it early as it was completely uninteresting.

I played the entire FF13 trilogy, hoping it would get better as it went along, and ended up profoundly dissatisfied. I had a much better time with FF12: The Zodiac Age.

I'm now alternating between Spiritfarer, Hades and It Takes Two.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1825 on: January 10, 2022, 12:00:48 PM »
I couldn't really get into FF XIII, but I did enjoy XV - eventually. It took me a while but actually playing the 'Comrades' expansion made me really like it.

Could've been so much better though. Typical Square.

I mostly loved FFVII Remake though parts of that were unnecessary (as is splitting one game into god knows how many pieces).

Currently I'm on LOTRO - Lord of the Rings Online. A very old MMORPG that is 'free' but 'painful' to play (for free)... I think I will pay, a bit, for some content at some point.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1826 on: January 10, 2022, 09:39:18 PM »
I'm playing The Last of Us Part II on PS5, given to me by my brother. Really good!

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1827 on: January 11, 2022, 12:27:59 AM »
I'm playing The Last of Us Part II on PS5, given to me by my brother. Really good!

Yep I liked it a lot too. Not as good as the original but then again sequels very rarely are. I wonder if they will make a Part III? I'm also excited for the TV adaptation starring Pedro Pascal that's coming this year.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1828 on: January 11, 2022, 11:48:40 AM »
I'm currently playing New Super Mario Bros on the Wii with my 6-year-old. It's a lot of fun playing with him, but man...it's like playing the game on expert mode since he takes all the power-ups, blocks jumps, and constantly knocks me into lava. Luckily, he hasn't quite mastered picking things up so he's not actively throwing me into the lava.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1829 on: January 12, 2022, 01:15:42 AM »
I'm having an absolute blast playing Baba Is You the past few weeks.

From the official website:

"Baba Is You is a puzzle game where the rules you have to follow are present as physical objects in the game world. By manipulating the rules, you can change how the game works, repurpose things you find in the levels and cause surprising interactions!"

Sounds simple enough, right? It's not. You have to think many steps ahead, sort of like chess, because the order in which you apply rules is crucial to arrive at the solution. It appears deceptively easy at first but gets to be extremely challenging. As someone posted on Youtube, "Baba Is You is the Dark Souls of Puzzle Games".

I actually think this is a very Mustachian game because it's a great value. It's available on Nintendo Switch, PC, and mobile for $7-$15 depending on the platform and I've gotten many many hours out of it. It was originally ~200 levels. A few weeks ago I looked to see if the developer was going to release a sequel. Lo and behold, instead of a sequel he recently added a whole new world of 150+ levels and level editor FOR FREE for anyone who had already bought the game (I had an old version and by re-downloading the new version got the new levels).

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3_yA4HTJfs

Is anyone else here playing it or has played it previously?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1830 on: January 12, 2022, 07:07:32 AM »
[...]
Baba Is You is an excellent game. It gets really hard later on so I never completed it. Though I come back occasionally to do a puzzle.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #1831 on: January 12, 2022, 09:14:16 AM »
[...]
Baba Is You is an excellent game. It gets really hard later on so I never completed it. Though I come back occasionally to do a puzzle.

I borrowed my spouse's copy and played it a bit but I felt like an idiot and didn't finish it. Those puzzles get tough.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1832 on: January 12, 2022, 04:01:40 PM »
[...]

I know what you mean. Check out this excellent hint guide someone posted online. It gives hints without giving up the full solutions. I never would have completed the game without it.

https://www.keyofw.com/baba-is-blog/overworld

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1833 on: January 12, 2022, 04:02:55 PM »
With some Christmas cash, I picked up Nova: Covert Ops.  Lots of fun, pretty cheap ($6.50!), and challenging/rewarding.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1834 on: January 18, 2022, 03:46:26 PM »
My roommate got me into 7 Days to Die -- my god it's addicting, at least when playing with a friend who's in the same room!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1835 on: January 19, 2022, 05:16:47 AM »
My roommate got me into 7 Days to Die -- my god it's addicting, at least when playing with a friend who's in the same room!
LOL sounds like you should be in the same room as them - at least at the 7th day :D

-----

Report on Aven Colony I talked about earlier:
As I assumed, it get's boring after a certain time. At roughly 1000 colonists you change from scarcity to "damn, I need even more storage spaces". Because you can't set an upper production limit even though that is a thing already implemented for water (and only water).
The early game is still fun and the story, as far as you can do in such a game, well made, but there is no end game.

Also it's quite buggy. Worst: One of the story missions you end by doing a flight to 5 spots and "give" some goods there. If you happen to do the points if you don't have that good, the counter to success does not increase, but the spot still disappears. You are now locked in an unsolvable mission because they didn't check if you have the goods you need to deliver.
That is such a basic bug... sigh!

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1836 on: February 08, 2022, 02:23:00 PM »
I have been playing Stellaris on Xbox.  I am intrigued. I want to find out what the end game is like.  I used to play Stars!, but I never made it to the end game (maybe there was a paywall?).  I am hoping Stellaris has an end game.  I think I am halfway through the game I started and just figured out how to declare war.  So many menus in this game.
Stellaris tries hard for content on all phases.
If you just found out how to declare war you are still at the early game :D Prepare for HUGE fleets later on. Also you might be in for an energy deficit about now.

I think I have reached my limit on Stellaris without buying some of the DLC, but I can't see that it would be any more rewarding than I found the base game to be.

I do really like how it ties into the television version of Asimov's Foundation series.  I haven't read the books, though I might now, but I enjoy think about the empire in relation to the empires and federations I played in Stellaris.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1837 on: March 22, 2022, 04:27:30 PM »

Played a bunch of that back in Early Access.  I know that there have been several major updates since I last dusted it off.  If I had reliable co-op partners like a gaming spouse, I'd probably load it right back up.  My gaming buddies are mostly scattered to the wind, as middle age is wont to do. 

I've been dabbling (sometimes more) with various Microsoft Game Pass games, since I recently signed up using the 3-years-for-a-dollar trick.  Hard to argue with the value of Game Pass if you're a regular gamer.  I did pick up a couple of 3-month cards on sale during BF sales (3 months turns into 4 months using a automatic renewal trick), so the recurring cost isn't really that high, either, and I've no real desire to spend money on games with the vast library at my fingertips.  Probably the one exception that will slip through is Elden Ring.

Currently playing through Marvel's Avengers.  It's not fantastic, but is entertaining enough in the campaign phase.  Once I reach the endgame, which is purportedly boring, I'll probably drop it and move on to the next thing, which right now looks to be Forza Horizon 5 and/or Mortal Shell.  Before this, I was playing Back 4 Blood, which is pretty fun (and I'll probably play more of).

I'm playing Elden Ring...on PC.  I found a preorder deal so it wasn't full price.  Just a stellar game..think Skyrim mixed up with the 'soulslike' games.  The cost per hour of entertainment is exceedingly low for games like this.  I'm embarrassed to say how many hours I've played it thus far...but still feel I have tons more content to experience. I'm not one that feels the need to speed through a game to 'beat' it. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1838 on: March 23, 2022, 07:34:44 AM »

I'm playing Elden Ring...on PC.  I found a preorder deal so it wasn't full price.  Just a stellar game..think Skyrim mixed up with the 'soulslike' games.  The cost per hour of entertainment is exceedingly low for games like this.  I'm embarrassed to say how many hours I've played it thus far...but still feel I have tons more content to experience. I'm not one that feels the need to speed through a game to 'beat' it.

Yep, I'm completely sucked in to Elden Ring as well.  Even though I'm mostly through it - there are still a couple of optional areas and bosses to tackle - this was just playthrough 1!  I've got to do NG+, NG++, new builds and so many new weapons to try, starting over with a fresh character, PVP for a while...  It may be a while before I surface for another game.  I dabble here and there, including with Lost Ark, which a couple of friends wanted to try out.  It's got some merits, but the daily grind feels like too much when there's Elden Ring to play. 

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1839 on: April 01, 2022, 10:34:06 AM »

Yep, I'm completely sucked in to Elden Ring as well.  Even though I'm mostly through it - there are still a couple of optional areas and bosses to tackle - this was just playthrough 1!  I've got to do NG+, NG++, new builds and so many new weapons to try, starting over with a fresh character, PVP for a while...  It may be a while before I surface for another game.  I dabble here and there, including with Lost Ark, which a couple of friends wanted to try out.  It's got some merits, but the daily grind feels like too much when there's Elden Ring to play.

Still hooked on Elden Ring...there is just so much content! Entirely new areas open up that take hours to fully explore.  I'm just floored by not only how big the game is...but how good it is.  There are plenty of other 'big' open world games that just bore me to death..but that hasn't happened yet with Elden Ring.

I rarely replay games...so we'll see how that goes.  That's why I'm taking my time with this playthrough.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1840 on: April 01, 2022, 12:07:48 PM »
Strange, I have seen several reviews saying the opposite: that it gets boring fast.

I am doing X4 with the latest expansion. Since I started a new game I still need about 20 hours empire building :D

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1841 on: April 01, 2022, 01:02:51 PM »

Still hooked on Elden Ring...there is just so much content! Entirely new areas open up that take hours to fully explore.  I'm just floored by not only how big the game is...but how good it is.  There are plenty of other 'big' open world games that just bore me to death..but that hasn't happened yet with Elden Ring.

I rarely replay games...so we'll see how that goes.  That's why I'm taking my time with this playthrough.

I don't generally enjoy Soulslike games. Is there any reason for me to give Elden Ring a try?

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1842 on: April 02, 2022, 07:14:40 PM »

I don't generally enjoy Soulslike games. Is there any reason for me to give Elden Ring a try?

No, its a souls game.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #1843 on: April 02, 2022, 08:03:07 PM »
Total Battle. The one with spammy Facebook ads.  It is competely addicting and a time suck.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1844 on: April 02, 2022, 09:05:36 PM »
I do believe I have my last two civs in the bag. Both are game-in-progress. One solo, one co-op multiplayer with DS, but I'm pretty sure I/we are on-track to win.

Then I'll have to see if I want to hit the backlog (Humankind, Xcom 1/2 (the new ones)) or if I want to go pick some super-OP civ and bump it up to diety diff.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1845 on: April 04, 2022, 08:47:19 AM »
Strange, I have seen several reviews saying the opposite: that it gets boring fast.

I am doing X4 with the latest expansion. Since I started a new game I still need about 20 hours empire building :D

Huh, I haven't seen any that say that, though I don't doubt that they're out there.  It is one of the highest-reviewed games of all time, if that matters to people. 

When it comes to open world games, I typically like them but rarely end up finishing them.  Too much is the same or just not very consequential.  Elden Ring feels very different to me...I want to keep going, to keep exploring every nook and cranny.  I'm on my second playthrough now, and enjoy every time I find something that I missed the first time around, despite spending a lot of hours and consulting some internet guides.

Agree that if someone fundamentally doesn't like Souls games, you probably won't like Elden Ring, unless the particular reason for your dislike is something different (which it probably isn't). 

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1846 on: April 04, 2022, 09:08:37 AM »

Huh, I haven't seen any that say that, though I don't doubt that they're out there.  It is one of the highest-reviewed games of all time, if that matters to people. 

When it comes to open world games, I typically like them but rarely end up finishing them.  Too much is the same or just not very consequential.  Elden Ring feels very different to me...I want to keep going, to keep exploring every nook and cranny.  I'm on my second playthrough now, and enjoy every time I find something that I missed the first time around, despite spending a lot of hours and consulting some internet guides.

Agree that if someone fundamentally doesn't like Souls games, you probably won't like Elden Ring, unless the particular reason for your dislike is something different (which it probably isn't).

There are a strong contingent of 'haters' out there that shun Elden Ring "because it is a souls game".  And another contingent that shuns it because it isn't *enough* of a 'souls game'.  FromSoftware just can't win...lol.  But, hey, probably 50% of internet traffic is people bitching/arguing about stuff...haha.

With that said, I *really* dislike the typical 'soulslike' formula....yet absolutely love Elden Ring.  Sure, Elden ring has soulslike elements, but it isn't at all like the previous ones.  The issue I have with typical soulslike games is that you often *have* to defeat a boss before progressing.  The only other option is to grind existing areas over and over...boring?  I'd say so!   However, the open world of Elden Ring solves that problem.  You can walk away from a boss fight and have 100 other things to do. 

Honestly, I was quite skeptical of Elden Ring at first because of my previous experience with Dark Souls, etc... However, it won me over.   I'm a big fan of exploration based games...and this is right up my alley.  I learned to actually like the fact there are no automatic quest markers on the map...I've learned to add my own.  However, I do wish the game had at least a rudimentary 'journal' to track things better. 

Anyway, long story short....don't write the game off just because you've heard it's "just a souls game".

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #1847 on: April 04, 2022, 10:10:55 AM »
I have been playing Monster Hunter Rise on Switch for 3 months now, 80 hours in and still unlocking content.   I liked World but bounced off of it without finishing it.  Rise has just hit the sweet spot of difficulty for me.  I will definitely be picking up the expansion hitting in June for it.  I'm usually a JRPG person, so getting this hooked on an action game that actually demands passable reflexes has been a shock.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1848 on: April 04, 2022, 12:52:01 PM »
I have been playing Monster Hunter Rise on Switch for 3 months now, 80 hours in and still unlocking content.   I liked World but bounced off of it without finishing it.  Rise has just hit the sweet spot of difficulty for me.  I will definitely be picking up the expansion hitting in June for it.  I'm usually a JRPG person, so getting this hooked on an action game that actually demands passable reflexes has been a shock.
I played the demo but somehow I can't get behind it. It all feels so... heavy gravity. Slow. I don't know.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1849 on: April 04, 2022, 09:21:27 PM »
So I stumbled on Hexarchy and backed it on kickstarter. Cute little indie deckbuilding civilization style game. Completely reasonable price.