Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781494 times)

evme

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1750 on: October 07, 2021, 06:21:24 PM »
I finally picked up RDR2 and while I am confident I'm going to lose interest as it bloats into the open world rinse and repeat mission formula, I really enjoyed the first few hours.

How much further did you proceed with RDR2? Would be curious to read your full review.

Not very far I confess. I definitely got out of the winter time and did a handful of missions and poked around camp. Maybe spent 6 hours total playing. Clearly an impressive game on a lot of fronts, but I think I had two issues that led to me putting it down. First, it felt much too big for me to get into the story. I've noticed that games that attempt a serious narrative but then also create a world with seemingly endless diversions and digressions don't hold my attention. These days I want my story-driven games to be 8 hours long or less and basically on rails.

I know what you mean, I feel the same way about open world games in general. My "solution" is to just stick to the main story quests and completely ignore the optional side missions and activities. But RDR2 is a long game, even when you skip all the extra stuff -- howlongtobeat has it at 49 hours for the main story alone !

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=27100

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1751 on: October 08, 2021, 01:37:04 PM »
Checked to see what RDR2 cost at Gamestop today...$50 for pre-owned!

I'll have to pass for now.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1752 on: October 08, 2021, 01:51:50 PM »

It's on PS Now until 11/1. Sign up for the free 7-day trial, and then pay $10/mo if you haven't finished the game, or need more time, or want to finish up another game like TLOU2...I've got several games in my pipeline already, but plan on doing this for TLOU2 before it leaves in January.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1753 on: October 08, 2021, 03:01:05 PM »

It's on PS Now until 11/1. Sign up for the free 7-day trial, and then pay $10/mo if you haven't finished the game, or need more time, or want to finish up another game like TLOU2...I've got several games in my pipeline already, but plan on doing this for TLOU2 before it leaves in January.

It's been in the $25 range on sale on the PS4 digital store too. Should be good sales coming up for the holidays. Hoping to get TLOU2 for $20.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1754 on: October 08, 2021, 04:36:02 PM »

I think I got mine with some Best Buy rewards I had that were going to expire, it was on sale for $30 at the time. Keep an eye out - it might pop up for cheap again, especially with the holidays coming up.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1755 on: October 09, 2021, 04:15:19 PM »
Xbox - I did find it much cheaper online

If I can still get that price in a couple weeks, I'll go for it. I really need to finish up a book first.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #1756 on: October 12, 2021, 10:02:54 AM »

Theyve been running a deal for PSnow @ $60 for a year. Finally pulled the trigger, pretty good value there, and I finally get to play a favorite, FO: New Vegas again

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1757 on: October 14, 2021, 11:14:38 AM »
Medieval Dynastie was released (after a long early access) 2 weeks ago, and I think I will build a village once again.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1758 on: October 14, 2021, 11:39:29 AM »
I'm splitting my time now between Stardew Valley and Genshin Impact. HELP

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1759 on: October 14, 2021, 01:19:07 PM »
I tried the demo of Saber Beat and think I'm going to go ahead and get the full version.  It was a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1760 on: October 14, 2021, 01:40:28 PM »
Two big time sinks for sure. Are you caught up on content in Genshin?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1761 on: October 14, 2021, 03:21:25 PM »
Just about. I finished Tsurumi Island (the latest Inazuma location) just now. Oy.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1762 on: October 14, 2021, 03:36:18 PM »
Just about. I finished Tsurumi Island (the latest Inazuma location) just now. Oy.
That's about where I am too. Just finished the the quest to get that silly instrument. It says I'm at ~80% for the island now so a little more exploring still to do. I'm not really a fan of the new enemies...

I pulled Jean this week but I've already built Sucrose so not sure if she adds anything at all... What is your primary team composition?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1763 on: October 14, 2021, 03:43:03 PM »
That's about where I am too. Just finished the the quest to get that silly instrument. It says I'm at ~80% for the island now so a little more exploring still to do. I'm not really a fan of the new enemies...

I pulled Jean this week but I've already built Sucrose so not sure if she adds anything at all... What is your primary team composition?
Right now, I've got Diona, Xiangling, Xingqiu, and Raiden Shogun. But I just got Aloy and because I have fond memories of Horizon Zero Dawn, I may replace Diona with her, once she's properly leveled up.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1764 on: October 14, 2021, 03:57:21 PM »

Right now, I've got Diona, Xiangling, Xingqiu, and Raiden Shogun. But I just got Aloy and because I have fond memories of Horizon Zero Dawn, I may replace Diona with her, once she's properly leveled up.
Nice, that's very similar to my team (just Sucrose instead of Diona). I have Aloy but I'm not sure if I'll level her up. I find bow characters hard to use and I already have Yoimiya and Fischl available and ready (and Chongyun if I need Cryo).

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1765 on: October 14, 2021, 06:01:07 PM »
I tried the demo of Saber Beat and think I'm going to go ahead and get the full version.  It was a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

I recommend the Steam version if you're interested in sideloading music. It is a lot easier on a PC. Of course if you have a quest that isn't really a great option...

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1766 on: October 14, 2021, 06:05:01 PM »

Nice, that's very similar to my team (just Sucrose instead of Diona). I have Aloy but I'm not sure if I'll level her up. I find bow characters hard to use and I already have Yoimiya and Fischl available and ready (and Chongyun if I need Cryo).
Yeah, Chongyun! I enjoy using him more than I thought I would. I like bow users better than catalyst users. Or maybe the catalyst characters just don't appeal to me because most of them come off as ~sweet precious cutesy little things~.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1767 on: October 14, 2021, 06:42:11 PM »

Yeah, Chongyun! I enjoy using him more than I thought I would. I like bow users better than catalyst users. Or maybe the catalyst characters just don't appeal to me because most of them come off as ~sweet precious cutesy little things~.
Yeah, catalyst characters are the most boring playstyle. Their normal attack (which is really the only thing that differs by weapon type) just feels so disconnected. I still built Barbara because she's my best healer and Sucrose because she was basically my only Anemo choice (and she's actually really good).

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1768 on: October 15, 2021, 01:57:47 AM »
I'm currently playing Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (bought second hand), after playing Call of Duty: Black Ops III (free as part of Mr Vashy's subscription). So I'm firmly back in Shooterland, but what I like about it is to do the online co-op with total strangers (we don't talk), not because of the competition who has more "kills", but to work out a strategy and watch what the other person is doing. I'm looking forward to FarCry 4, also bought second hand for pennies, while I wait for the price for FarCry 6 to drop/second-hand copies to arrive on the market.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1769 on: October 15, 2021, 03:22:50 AM »
Genshin Impact:
I build Noelle as a tank, since her healing is based on DEF. Also she is good against shields of most types and nice to have foor mining, so she is in almost every team.

Qiqi is a nice ice char as second healer for e.g. boss fights.

I am not far enough to bring Raiden etc. up, which really bums me, since I was so lucky and got all 4 girls with just 4 draws when that came out 2 month ago. But succrose seems to work fine and at least for her I don't need stuff from 2.1

Can Raiden Shogun replace Lisa as a electro inflicter? Theoretical her DEF+helath stats are good enough and she still is glass cannon O.o
I oftne combine her with either a water user like Barbara or the cook girl (name forgot). Get's down all those big health enemies with the element reaction.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1770 on: October 15, 2021, 07:58:12 AM »
@RWD  Barbara is my best healer too. I was so disappointed when I tried out Kokomi.

@LennStar yes, Raiden is worth it. Although Lisa has one of my favorite character designs in the game, she just isn't that effective in combat for me. Whereas fun things can happen if you level up Raiden to 80 and have Xiangling (the pyro polearm cook) or Xingqiu (the hydro sword book nerd) in your party.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1771 on: October 15, 2021, 01:42:18 PM »
It says I'm at ~80% for the island now so a little more exploring still to do.
Well that didn't take long.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1772 on: October 15, 2021, 03:51:01 PM »
@RWD nice, nice!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1773 on: October 16, 2021, 10:03:20 AM »
How the hell do you get to 100%?
I have areas under 80% and no idea what I am still missing :D

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1774 on: October 16, 2021, 12:00:58 PM »
Find all the *oculus, treasure chests, and solve all the puzzles. You can get gadget items to help locate the first two (though I don't have the Inazuma ones yet) but sometimes you just have to be methodical. Some areas have more than enough treasure chests to reach 100%, others require finding practically everything. It isn't very consistent. There are of course maps people have made to help find everything, but generally I haven't found them to be necessary.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1775 on: October 20, 2021, 01:00:19 PM »
Find all the *oculus, treasure chests, and solve all the puzzles. You can get gadget items to help locate the first two (though I don't have the Inazuma ones yet) but sometimes you just have to be methodical. Some areas have more than enough treasure chests to reach 100%, others require finding practically everything. It isn't very consistent. There are of course maps people have made to help find everything, but generally I haven't found them to be necessary.

Wow, nice.  I don't think I've gotten 100% on any location in the game.  Guess I'm more of a powergamer/min-maxer than explorer by nature.  Not that I can really be a powergamer in a gacha game like this, since I'm mustachian.  Maybe as winter drives me indoors more I'll spend some quality time exploring, if I don't get sucked into something like New World.

Interesting to see the other teams and how different they are from what I've used.  I suppose that's the nature of this, since mostly we're relying upon luck to form our teams.  I pulled an early couple of Fischls and formed my early teams around her, but she's actually dropped off of my main team recently, where I'm running Ayaka/Kazuha/Xiangling/Bennett.  Very strong overall, just occasionally annoying not to have any ranged.  Contemplating saving my primos for a shot at Ganyu whenever she reappears.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1776 on: October 21, 2021, 07:26:28 PM »
Recently finished Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.   Short version:  Play it if you like CRPG's with a lot of complexity and content.

Pros:
-100+ Hours of content (My first playthrough clocked in at ~140 hrs)
-Replayability(different content for good vs. evil paths, character types, diversity in character builds)
-Complexity (a lot of possible variation in character builds, figuring out game mechanics is rewarding)
-Writing is "Pretty good" in most cases
-Playable on a system that's not super high-end
-Developers are actively patching the game and working to address issues

Cons:
-Complexity(Game system takes time to learn if you're not familiar with it, moderate-high difficulties will punish you if you don't understand the mechanics and play to them)
-Difficulty is uneven (some supposedly uber-strong bosses go splat in 2 turns, some random no-name minions are tougher than their supposedly big, bad bosses)
-Game was somewhat buggy at launch(though has gotten substantially better as the developers have patched it)

Basically, if you like large, complex CRPG's with a bit of a learning curve I'd strongly recommend it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 07:29:46 PM by js82 »

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #1777 on: October 28, 2021, 12:27:03 PM »
I'm playing Luigi's Mansion 3 right now with my partner. It's silly and relaxing and on theme for October. I wish there were more co-op games.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1778 on: October 28, 2021, 12:59:05 PM »
Hades was on sale on Steam. I'm really enjoying the voice acting and the story! The gameplay is fun, but is secondary to the plot.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1779 on: October 28, 2021, 02:47:42 PM »
Recently finished Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.   Short version:  Play it if you like CRPG's with a lot of complexity and content.

Pros:
-100+ Hours of content (My first playthrough clocked in at ~140 hrs)
-Replayability(different content for good vs. evil paths, character types, diversity in character builds)
-Complexity (a lot of possible variation in character builds, figuring out game mechanics is rewarding)
-Writing is "Pretty good" in most cases
-Playable on a system that's not super high-end
-Developers are actively patching the game and working to address issues

Cons:
-Complexity(Game system takes time to learn if you're not familiar with it, moderate-high difficulties will punish you if you don't understand the mechanics and play to them)
-Difficulty is uneven (some supposedly uber-strong bosses go splat in 2 turns, some random no-name minions are tougher than their supposedly big, bad bosses)
-Game was somewhat buggy at launch(though has gotten substantially better as the developers have patched it)

Basically, if you like large, complex CRPG's with a bit of a learning curve I'd strongly recommend it.

I'm close to finishing this game and have enjoyed it. I'm stuck on the dungeon boss and may skip it, since it's not really vital to the end-of-game boss.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #1780 on: November 11, 2021, 07:01:11 AM »
Ok, this is gonna be totally unmustachian: Skyrim Anniversary Edition is tempting me - a lot.

I have been quietly playing vanilla Skyrim on PS3 for the past 9 or so years. Never upgraded to the add-ons. And still loving it!
So, now I am thinking to get the full pack with the anniversary edition ...

Issue: Getting the game would mean seriously upgrading my hardware ...
Thinking of going the PC route this time, meaning gaming PC spec that would also last until 2023/24 when Elder Scrolls 6 may come out.

Can you talk me out of this? Any cost-efficient way to do this ...?

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1781 on: November 11, 2021, 07:08:04 AM »
My son got a Nintendo Switch for Christmas from his grandmother last year. He doesn't play it much because he's more into PC gaming. I haven't been very interested in it either...but then Metroid Dread came out and I feel like I'm 13 years old all over again and I want that game so bad, lol

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1782 on: November 12, 2021, 01:43:57 AM »
Thinking of doing a replay of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. This is probably my favorite game of all time but it is a serious time commitment, even when just doing the main story missions (not to mention the two EXCELLENT expansions which are full-game length themselves).

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1783 on: November 12, 2021, 08:12:24 AM »
I have been playing Stellaris on Xbox.  I am intrigued. I want to find out what the end game is like.  I used to play Stars!, but I never made it to the end game (maybe there was a paywall?).  I am hoping Stellaris has an end game.  I think I am halfway through the game I started and just figured out how to declare war.  So many menus in this game.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1784 on: November 12, 2021, 09:22:55 AM »
Anyone else here nab Cyberpunk 2077 for $10 from BB? Now I'm just waiting for the next gen patch PS5, which unfortunately was recently pushed back to 2022. In the meantime, I got Immortals Fenyx Rising, which isn't too bad, I definitely see the comparison made with BOTW.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1785 on: November 12, 2021, 09:35:59 AM »
I have been playing Stellaris on Xbox.  I am intrigued. I want to find out what the end game is like.  I used to play Stars!, but I never made it to the end game (maybe there was a paywall?).  I am hoping Stellaris has an end game.  I think I am halfway through the game I started and just figured out how to declare war.  So many menus in this game.
Stellaris tries hard for content on all phases.
If you just found out how to declare war you are still at the early game :D Prepare for HUGE fleets later on. Also you might be in for an energy deficit about now.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1786 on: November 16, 2021, 08:22:55 AM »
I am currently in between on how I feel about Battlefield 2042. It seems alright, but I feel a little disappointed. Maybe that will change in the future. I am super hyped about Elden Ring after watching the network tests videos!

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1787 on: November 22, 2021, 11:02:14 AM »
Stellaris tries hard for content on all phases.
If you just found out how to declare war you are still at the early game :D Prepare for HUGE fleets later on. Also you might be in for an energy deficit about now.

I definitely got into an energy deficit. I managed to wipeout one neighbor but couldn’t gain dominance before the fallen empire resurgence. I came out second place in points.

I am on my second game now. Same parameters as the first.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1788 on: November 23, 2021, 11:33:33 AM »
The Switch port of Jedi Outcast is supposed to be delivered today.  It's also supposed to be a xmas gift for the kid.  I'm trying to figure out a way to play it without him finding out...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1789 on: November 23, 2021, 11:43:53 AM »
The Switch port of Jedi Outcast is supposed to be delivered today.  It's also supposed to be a xmas gift for the kid.  I'm trying to figure out a way to play it without him finding out...
Wait, the one from like 20 years ago, with Kyle Katarn?  I loved that game!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1790 on: November 23, 2021, 11:57:03 AM »

Yeah, this is the one I ordered for him (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-wars-jedi-knight-collection-nintendo-switch/6483161.p?skuId=6483161).  It's Jedi Knight I and II. 

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1791 on: November 23, 2021, 03:31:46 PM »

I liked it too. This is back when Star Wars games used to be challenging. I remember getting lost A LOT. Big maps.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1792 on: November 27, 2021, 07:08:14 AM »
I picked up Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Black Friday. That should give me months of gameplay.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1793 on: November 27, 2021, 09:53:33 AM »
I picked up Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Black Friday. That should give me months of gameplay.

I love that game. Enjoy!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1794 on: November 27, 2021, 12:28:56 PM »
I beat Subnautica today. Really excellent game.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1795 on: November 27, 2021, 06:38:58 PM »

@MustachioedPistachio is playing it for the first time tonight!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1796 on: November 27, 2021, 06:44:27 PM »

@MustachioedPistachio is playing it for the first time tonight!

Awesome!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1797 on: November 30, 2021, 12:29:06 PM »
Atelier Lulua

2 games of the series were on sale on steam. I played one already. The alchemy is fun but it does run quite long on the cutscenes with the primary and secondary characters and finding a good drop can be a bit exhausting. Not for people who want action action action.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1798 on: November 30, 2021, 02:52:18 PM »
Atelier Lulua

2 games of the series were on sale on steam. I played one already. The alchemy is fun but it does run quite long on the cutscenes with the primary and secondary characters and finding a good drop can be a bit exhausting. Not for people who want action action action.

I really liked Lulua. One of my favorite Atelier games (I've played eleven of them so far). Finally get some closure with Rorona and Sterk too, haha.

Atelier games are definitely not for people that want action or epic ambitious plot lines. But they are great for when you're in the mood for something more laid back and don't want to worry about having to save the world (usually).

I recently completed Atelier Ayesha and I'm working through Atelier Escha & Logy now. I originally skipped the Dusk games because Ayesha was released without the Japanese voices and the voice acting is a big part of these games for me. This was shortly after Gust was acquired by Koei Tecmo which could be part of the reason for the [temporary] change. I picked up the Dusk trilogy DX versions on Steam which include the Japanese voices.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1799 on: December 02, 2021, 09:46:11 AM »

I love that game. Enjoy!

I've had the game less than a week, and I think I've already sunk 40 hours into it. It's really amazing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!