Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781470 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1600 on: August 04, 2020, 02:57:18 PM »
Been learning / playing with BeamNG with our kids. Tons of mods to test out just a click away.

Chases, stunts, crashes, exploring. Any damaged cars are repaired in a click of a button. Lots of cars and modified cars to choose from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_I5g-Rdp7Y
https://youtu.be/OwsGIazYQsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLzo2PCmCpg

Minecraft is STILL a big deal with our kids. Best purchase ever. 

Our older wants me to play Last of Us and Red Dead II.
I'm not a big gamer but I'll start playing soon as I get caught up on other tasks. Bonding moments.

We have a warmed over four year old Dell XPS PC and PS4.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1601 on: August 04, 2020, 09:37:34 PM »
Sending 1080p to a 4K screen is perfectly fine, it's an exact 4x scale. It's pretty much impossible to find a good TV without a 4K resolution these days. What is important for text readability is that the TV supports 4:4:4 input.
Yeah, if it does integer scaling. If not you just get a more squishy picture than if you would use a 1080p screen. Because it does NOT simply do x4 (which would be integer scaling). That is the core of the problem.
Some do it good, others not. It is highly dependend on the exact model.
I just looked closer at my 4K TV and noticed computer text is slightly blurry..... Damn, I stand corrected. Looks crisp if I send a 4K signal directly from my computer but that's not ideal for a variety of reasons for me right now (can't use old receiver, video card struggles, Linux inconsistent handling of window scaling).

I guess the easy solution (for me) might be to find a receiver that does integer upscaling. Any idea how to find one?
I have no idea i the fields of TV, but I would guess nowhere.
Integer scaling is just coming to gaming graphic cards (gamers complained that their 4K games where crisp on their $500 card, but when they had the Desktop on with normal HD to avoid tiny letters at older programs is was blurry).

It makes sense if you know the internals of GPUs - they run everything on floating points. Integrating Integer needs additional silicon or some heavy coding to "simulate" it.
I doubt you get this on consumer's TV electronics. But maybe I am wrong, I really have no idea. I never heard any "can do integer scaling" advertised, but that isn't actually something any TV ad would ever have, because nobody knows about it.
I did some internet searching myself and could hardly find anything. I guess there might have been some Panasonic TVs that would do it but I don't think Panasonic even sells TVs anymore. I found some HDMI upscalers (small stand-alone boxes) but none of them looked like they could do integer/nearest-neighbor scaling. I guess it just sucks trying to use a 4K TV as a 1080p computer monitor.

I had a Lenovo thinkpad -DisplayPort-HDMI cable hooked up to a Visio D40u-D1 40”4K monitor and it worked fine at 1080p

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1602 on: August 05, 2020, 07:21:02 AM »
I did some internet searching myself and could hardly find anything. I guess there might have been some Panasonic TVs that would do it but I don't think Panasonic even sells TVs anymore. I found some HDMI upscalers (small stand-alone boxes) but none of them looked like they could do integer/nearest-neighbor scaling. I guess it just sucks trying to use a 4K TV as a 1080p computer monitor.

I had a Lenovo thinkpad -DisplayPort-HDMI cable hooked up to a Visio D40u-D1 40”4K monitor and it worked fine at 1080p

"Works fine" is what I have now. It's on close inspection that you see individual pixels are slightly blurred. And general difficulty reading text.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1603 on: August 05, 2020, 11:03:40 AM »

"Works fine" is what I have now. It's on close inspection that you see individual pixels are slightly blurred. And general difficulty reading text.

Yep, running 1080p in a 4K monitor will do that.   My 40" monitor I ran at about 30 inches away.  The Visio did a good job of upscaling, but if you pixel peep you can still tell the difference.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1604 on: August 15, 2020, 08:26:33 AM »
I 100%'d Guacamelee on PS4 over the course of a week or two. Love love love this game. I'm going to get the sequel when the price drops again--has anyone played it on the Switch undocked? I think I'd prefer to have it on Switch but worry that the d-pad isn't the best for it.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1605 on: September 02, 2020, 01:34:23 AM »
Guys, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is the real deal. My game of the year. I flew a Cessna from a big city airport, to over my house, to overshoot my local airport`s airstrip, and landed in a field a mile past it.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1606 on: September 02, 2020, 04:27:08 AM »
Guys, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is the real deal. My game of the year. I flew a Cessna from a big city airport, to over my house, to overshoot my local airport`s airstrip, and landed in a field a mile past it.

I got American Truck Simulator a while back (I love driving, I just find it very relaxing), but it doesn't *quite* do what I want. I actually want a "driving around in a car" sim. Flight Sim looks amazing, I was showing videos to a friend who had it decades back. But you need a pretty powerful PC to run it I think.

But a true driving sim, based on Maps data? You can get traffic flows right, you could put all sorts in. Different modes for how much speeding you're allowed... Just chilling out in the car (without having to buy fuel or do maintenance... or if you do in game, ok, but whatever).

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1607 on: September 02, 2020, 06:55:26 AM »
I 100%'d Guacamelee on PS4 over the course of a week or two. Love love love this game. I'm going to get the sequel when the price drops again--has anyone played it on the Switch undocked? I think I'd prefer to have it on Switch but worry that the d-pad isn't the best for it.

Picked up Guacamelee 2, Gris, and Lara Croft Go on PS4 for about $15 total. Looking forward to digging in.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1608 on: September 02, 2020, 08:51:06 AM »
Playing free Epic Store games.  Lately, I've really been enjoying Remnant: From the Ashes.  Souls-like with guns.  You could certainly complain about the ways that it falls short, but as a big Dark Souls fan, it does help scratch that itch.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1609 on: September 02, 2020, 09:18:52 AM »
I started The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt a few nights ago.  I like the game play and the story.  I am on XBox X maybe?  Is that I a thing?  I didn't buy the console.  My screen is kind of far away and too high, so I can't see the game all that well.  I don't know if I will play again unless I can figure out how to play on a better situated screen.  So far it isn't worth the loss of sleep.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1610 on: September 02, 2020, 09:56:50 AM »
I started The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt a few nights ago.  I like the game play and the story.  I am on XBox X maybe?  Is that I a thing?  I didn't buy the console.  My screen is kind of far away and too high, so I can't see the game all that well.  I don't know if I will play again unless I can figure out how to play on a better situated screen.  So far it isn't worth the loss of sleep.

Do you mean that you don't like the point of view in the game (it's 3rd person view and not 1st person like many shooting games).

This is a reddit discussion about the PS4 camera, but I think it's probably the same for XBOX. Doesn't look like there's much you can do to change it.

I played on PS4 and didn't think it was in a weird place. But I much prefer 3rd person to 1st person because I don't like how 1st person artificially limits your peripheral vision.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/463x9y/witcher_3_default_camera_position/

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #1611 on: September 02, 2020, 02:58:36 PM »
Found my old 360 in my parents basement in a box, tickled it still works and playing Fallout 3 - still holds up!

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #1612 on: September 02, 2020, 09:30:35 PM »
Started playing Faster Than Light again with the free expansion. I keep coming back to that game but I still haven't managed to beat the final ship.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1613 on: September 03, 2020, 09:53:18 AM »
Started playing Faster Than Light again with the free expansion. I keep coming back to that game but I still haven't managed to beat the final ship.
Well, I was lucky (which is probably unlucky) and got through the game on first try.

Currently playing two of the age-long games: Stellaris and X4 again. This time Stellaris with a swarm. Surprisingly bad with habitats for their lack of services.
But in case you got out the start phase with a few extra planets, the devouring swarm really gets unstoppable. Well, others too, but the swarm is not slowed by influence costs since there are none or war ends since you get the stars immediately.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #1614 on: September 03, 2020, 10:30:03 AM »
Guys, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is the real deal. My game of the year.

I want in on this action very badly. Not too interested in spending the money on a high spec PC rig to run this at it’s highest settings...rather, I’m hoping that the next-generation Xbox can run it smoothly at 4K resolution...Microsoft has made it clear it’s coming to the Xbox platform at some point. If the new beastly console can’t do it proper justice, PC it shall be. Just watching YouTube footage of the game, I am often transfixed by what I am seeing.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1615 on: September 03, 2020, 11:14:16 AM »

Do you mean that you don't like the point of view in the game (it's 3rd person view and not 1st person like many shooting games).

This is a reddit discussion about the PS4 camera, but I think it's probably the same for XBOX. Doesn't look like there's much you can do to change it.

I played on PS4 and didn't think it was in a weird place. But I much prefer 3rd person to 1st person because I don't like how 1st person artificially limits your peripheral vision.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/463x9y/witcher_3_default_camera_position/

My issue is where I have mounted my TV on the wall.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1616 on: September 14, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
Playing free Epic Store games.  Lately, I've really been enjoying Remnant: From the Ashes.  Souls-like with guns.  You could certainly complain about the ways that it falls short, but as a big Dark Souls fan, it does help scratch that itch.

Really enjoyed that game until I got to the first boss. I was in total disbelief by the difficulty. I rage quit and haven't returned.

I should add that I have beaten Dark Souls 1 -3, Nioh 1 + 2, yadda yadda. I thrive on difficulty. But not on the level of Remnant. That first boss felt insurmountable.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:27:04 PM by eljefe-speaks »

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1617 on: September 15, 2020, 07:54:50 AM »

Really enjoyed that game until I got to the first boss. I was in total disbelief by the difficulty. I rage quit and haven't returned.

I should add that I have beaten Dark Souls 1 -3, Nioh 1 + 2, yadda yadda. I thrive on difficulty. But not on the level of Remnant. That first boss felt insurmountable.

Overall, I'd say the game is not as difficult as Dark Souls games, though that can change as you amp up the difficulty setting.  The 'first boss' can vary, and many bosses you won't actually fight in any particular playthrough (the game has much more randomness to it than similar games), but I suspect you ran into Gorefist - brute with a big sword who also summons exploding adds.  He's actually one of the more difficult bosses in the entire game; his attacks can certainly be learned and avoided, but the adds can make the fight brutal.  If you ever go back to the game, I'd recommend making sure to move around the arena when he goes into his add-summoning phase, and prioritize killing them or dodging their explosions while keeping your distance from the boss as much as possible.  He summons two adds, then two more each time, but doesn't continue to summon unless damaged further.

One good thing is that you only run into Gorefist on 50% of the playthroughs.  The alternative boss is quite a bit easier.  It's also possible your gear was under-leveled, though I suppose that early on perhaps not.  You just want to make sure you level your items evenly...it hinders you to to upgrade your favorite gun but then leave your other weapons and armor behind.  Enemies tend to scale with the level of your highest-upgraded piece of gear.  Also, pump that vigor trait to start the game.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1618 on: September 15, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »
Picked up Death Stranding.

I loved MGS on the PSX and PS2, so there is certainly *some* name recognition though I knew I wasn't buying a Metal Gear game.

So far... yeah not sure. Some of it is enjoyable, some is not really much fun. I'm having some trouble with suspension of disbelief - the setup just doesn't quite make sense. It doesn't hang together. So, I'll go along for the ride.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1619 on: September 15, 2020, 09:26:56 AM »
We got an Xbox One to help with being stuck at home during the pandemic. I really enjoyed a few games, but not too much. Star Wars Fallen Order was fantastic. If anyone has suggestions of similar games, I'm interested.

With my love of board games, I've played a lot of digital versions of board games lately. The two I've played the most have been Terraforming Mars & Root. They've been great.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1620 on: September 16, 2020, 03:05:58 AM »
Picked up Death Stranding.

I loved MGS on the PSX and PS2, so there is certainly *some* name recognition though I knew I wasn't buying a Metal Gear game.

So far... yeah not sure. Some of it is enjoyable, some is not really much fun. I'm having some trouble with suspension of disbelief - the setup just doesn't quite make sense. It doesn't hang together. So, I'll go along for the ride.

I just started Death Stranding too. I'm only a couple of hours in and am having similar WTF thoughts about the concept of the game, but it sure is pretty. At the very least, I can add it to my resume if ever I want a job at Fedex or DHL :)

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1621 on: September 16, 2020, 07:14:03 AM »

Overall, I'd say the game is not as difficult as Dark Souls games, though that can change as you amp up the difficulty setting.  The 'first boss' can vary, and many bosses you won't actually fight in any particular playthrough (the game has much more randomness to it than similar games), but I suspect you ran into Gorefist - brute with a big sword who also summons exploding adds.  He's actually one of the more difficult bosses in the entire game; his attacks can certainly be learned and avoided, but the adds can make the fight brutal.  If you ever go back to the game, I'd recommend making sure to move around the arena when he goes into his add-summoning phase, and prioritize killing them or dodging their explosions while keeping your distance from the boss as much as possible.  He summons two adds, then two more each time, but doesn't continue to summon unless damaged further.

One good thing is that you only run into Gorefist on 50% of the playthroughs.  The alternative boss is quite a bit easier.  It's also possible your gear was under-leveled, though I suppose that early on perhaps not.  You just want to make sure you level your items evenly...it hinders you to to upgrade your favorite gun but then leave your other weapons and armor behind.  Enemies tend to scale with the level of your highest-upgraded piece of gear.  Also, pump that vigor trait to start the game.

Thanks for the advice. You may have inspired me to go back in. I will say it has the most satisfying gun play in almost any game. They really nailed it.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1622 on: September 16, 2020, 07:18:14 AM »
Star Wars Fallen Order was fantastic. If anyone has suggestions of similar games, I'm interested.

I haven't played Fallen Order, but I have heard the basic gameplay is heavily inspired by Dark Souls, only much easier. So you may enjoy Dark Souls 1-3, Nioh 1 -2, Bloodborne, and all the derivatives.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1623 on: October 02, 2020, 04:14:40 PM »
Still occasionally playing Remnant, but really jagging on Hades.  I've dabbled a bit in the rogue-lite genre before, but this game has really grabbed me.  Gameplay is extremely enjoyable, and varied, and while it's challenging, it's fair.  It's amazing how much effort they've put in the story and character interactions.  I've played it about thirty times through, talking to everyone every time, and the dialogue is still fresh in nearly every conversation.

Combined an Epic Store coupon with the initial $5 off sale to grab it for $10...this is a forum of cheap-ass gamers after all.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1624 on: October 24, 2020, 07:19:47 PM »
PS4 - I Plat Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice last week.  Third game I Plat behind Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1.  I'm playing FF7 Remake now and its alright.  I'm a big fan of the original and I enjoy this but I was really hoping I would get sucked in a bit more.  I'm on Chapter 8/18 right now.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1625 on: October 26, 2020, 02:53:48 PM »
Here in Wisconsin we're looking at a particularly dark next few months (literally because of Winter and figuratively because COVID is real, real bad these days) I'm giving some thought to jumping into WoW Classic- it'll be a nice distraction while cooped up indoors and I have a few friends playing so it'll be a fun way to keep in touch with them when we can't feasibly meet in-person. My wife and I are volunteering to work the polls on election day and then self-quarantining for a couple weeks after that, so next week might be a good time to start that up.

I haven't played since Cataclysm, and apart from playing Classic I don't know that I have any interest in picking back up my existing characters I had created for the current content, but who knows!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1626 on: October 26, 2020, 03:25:40 PM »
I picked up Return of the Obra Dinn on Steam sale. Really enjoying it so far. Very unique approach to the mystery solving/detective type of game.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1627 on: October 26, 2020, 07:48:59 PM »
I've put 5-10 hours into Witcher 3 over the last few weeks. First impressions: Like Skyrim, but actually good lol.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1628 on: October 27, 2020, 05:31:06 AM »
I've put 5-10 hours into Witcher 3 over the last few weeks. First impressions: Like Skyrim, but actually good lol.
But can you beat it with a fork?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmUtltvUQX0

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1629 on: October 28, 2020, 08:29:44 AM »
PS4 - I Plat Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice last week.  Third game I Plat behind Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1.  I'm playing FF7 Remake now and its alright.  I'm a big fan of the original and I enjoy this but I was really hoping I would get sucked in a bit more.  I'm on Chapter 8/18 right now.

Finally forcing myself to play Sekiro after buying it during a sale quite a while ago.  I'm not sure why I've been so slow to pick it up, given my love of Dark Souls.  I think it's partly been pandemic-related, as I had to rearrange my Xbox man cave into my home office, which made the room a bit less friendly for gaming. 

As I posted above, I recently really enjoyed playing a bunch of 'souls-like' Remnant and was finding myself looking at other similar games during the current Epic Games sale.  I realized that was stupid while having Sekiro sitting, barely played, in the other room, and restarted my game on it.  I'm still working through the initial learning curve on it, trying to re-train my reflexes with the different style of combat. 

Also trying CoD: Warzone a bit since a bunch of my friends are into it.  We've been missing our little gaming social group for a long time so that part is kind of forcing me to give it a try. 

I'm traveling for work now for a bit, so both of these are on hold.  I was also looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077, but it appears I'll have to wait an extra month on that. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1630 on: October 28, 2020, 10:37:47 AM »
This thread has been dead awhile. So what is everyone playing?
I just finished playing Trails of Cold Steel III.

I have been very tempted to delve into the series. Are they more story focused? Or can you spend hours upon hours leveling up and getting badass gear ala FFVII?

The world building, story, and character interactions are the highlights of the game. You can spend a lot of time grinding and getting the best quartz though it is not necessary to beat the games (except maybe if you set it to the hardest difficulty on your first playthrough). The combat is best approached tactically rather than via brute force. The best equipment is typically either purchased, awarded from quests, or acquired through trading hidden collectibles throughout the game. So you don't really need to grind for that either, just be very thorough in searching (or follow a guide).

I've spent over 500 hours between all the games in this series now and would highly recommend it. The story is continuous starting with the release of Trails in the Sky and each main series just changes which characters are the focus (I believe only one character has appeared in every game). They are best played sequentially as there are a lot of references to people and events that happened earlier and a lot of characters make repeat appearances.

So here are the games and the correct order:
Trails in the Sky (also on PSP)
Trails in the Sky SC (also on PSP)
Trails in the Sky the 3rd
Zero no Kiseki (Trails of Zero) - there's an fan-translated English patch so you can play this on a PSP emulator
Ao no Kiskei (Trails of Azure) - same as above
Trails of Cold Steel (Steam / PS4)
Trails of Cold Steel II (Steam / PS4)
Trails of Cold Steel III (Steam / PS4)
Trails of Cold Steel IV (not yet localized)
Hajimari no Kiseki (not yet released)

I know it's a daunting list. I was pretty hesitant to start at the beginning but once I started playing I was completely sucked in.

Cold Steel IV released yesterday and I got my limited edition. Super excited! The game starts with characters from Sky and Zero/Azure, reinforcing the advantage to playing these games in order.

Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki had remastered released in Japan on the PS4 this year so I'm hoping that means we'll get official localizations soon. But in the meantime the Geofront fan translation project looks to be pretty good (PC patches). I played these both on PSP emulator with fan patches and so far they are my favorite of the series.

Updating the list below:
Trails in the Sky (Steam / GOG / PSP (Amazon))
Trails in the Sky SC (Steam / GOG / PSP)
Trails in the Sky the 3rd (Steam / GOG)
Zero no Kiseki (Trails of Zero) - (PC fan patch / PSP fan patch)
Ao no Kiskei (Trails of Azure) - (PC fan patch (in progress) / PSP fan patch)
Trails of Cold Steel (Steam / GOG / PS Vita (Amazon) / PS3 (Amazon) / PS4 (PS Store) / PS4 (Amazon) / Switch)
Trails of Cold Steel II (Steam / GOG / PS Vita (Amazon) / PS3 (Amazon) / PS4 (PS Store) / PS4 (Amazon) / Switch)
Trails of Cold Steel III (Steam / GOG / PS4 (PS Store) + Deluxe / PS4 (Amazon) / Switch (Amazon))
Trails of Cold Steel IV (Steam / GOG / PS4 (PS Store) + Deluxe / PS4 (Amazon) / Switch (Amazon))
Hajimari no Kiseki (released August 27, 2020 in Japan)
Kuro no Kiseki (expected 2021 in Japan)

Edit [2020-10-29]: Switch versions of Cold Steel I and II announced.
Edit [2020-12-21]: Kuro no Kiseki announced.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 11:28:04 AM by RWD »

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1631 on: October 29, 2020, 10:59:28 AM »
I am playing Phantasy Start 3 on an emulator.  I played this game when I was twelve for many hours and completed most of the endings, but not all.  I am using a guide now, which is much easier than without.  The interactions with NPCs only give the vaguest of hints about what to do next and you have to get them in the correct order or you can get turned around for a while.  It doesn't grind too much, the controls are very simple, though I often mistake the back button for the select button and vice versa.  There are no difficulty settings, the gameplay starts out somewhat difficult and gets easier it seems.  The biggest challenge is correctly following the very minimal directions from the npcs, which is a non issue with the guide.  I also fight falling asleep because I play this game in the middle of the night while putting the baby asleep.  He falls asleep then I can't keep my eyes open for more than 30 minutes.
I am thinking I might try the Phantasy Star online 2 game, but am not sure yet.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1632 on: October 29, 2020, 11:25:28 AM »
I can't get over how expensive GPUs are at the moment.

Seems to go nVidia 710 for 40 Euros but basically no better than the igpu; then 1030 which is several years old an 80 euros, more expensive than it was 3 years ago?!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1633 on: October 30, 2020, 05:17:54 AM »

Seems to go nVidia 710 for 40 Euros but basically no better than the igpu; then 1030 which is several years old an 80 euros, more expensive than it was 3 years ago?!
Because it's no longer produced, duh!

If you don't play games, you don't need an external GPU. If you do, it depends on how far you want to go. 4K is expensive, 1080 done with a "cheap" 200€ card if you don't care about max details.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1634 on: October 30, 2020, 06:18:32 AM »

If you don't play games, you don't need an external GPU. If you do, it depends on how far you want to go. 4K is expensive, 1080 done with a "cheap" 200€ card if you don't care about max details.

I want to play older games. I find that emulators tend to not work that well with Intel integrated stuff.

I want to replay Skyrim (and maybe Oblivion, heh), and a load of stuff I have on Steam - that absolutely doesn't need 4k or a 200 Euro card.

I suppose an RX 570 or something is what I should look for, on sale.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1635 on: October 30, 2020, 06:45:26 AM »
If you can find a used card that was used for gaming and not crypto mining, that can be a great option. High end parts buyers tend to upgrade frequently, so you can get a top end 2017 or 2018 GPU for not much money on an online classified site like craigslist. I'm about to buy a GTX 1070 to replace my GTX 960 (and more than double speeds).

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1636 on: October 30, 2020, 07:01:16 AM »
Good idea - I'd only tried ebay, the French equivalent of craigslist does have stuff a bit cheaper.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1637 on: October 30, 2020, 07:12:38 AM »
That way you can meet a person and see if they're a gamer or crypto miner, too...

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1638 on: October 30, 2020, 07:58:50 AM »
Ah no we're back in lockdown now, malhereusement.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1639 on: October 30, 2020, 12:21:02 PM »

I want to play older games. I find that emulators tend to not work that well with Intel integrated stuff.

I want to replay Skyrim (and maybe Oblivion, heh), and a load of stuff I have on Steam - that absolutely doesn't need 4k or a 200 Euro card.

I would sell you my old RX470 for cheap since I upgraded not long ago, but I guess from Germany to France is a bit expensive for post? I have no idea. Too bad I can't send it per mail.

For Skyrim all you need is a current AMD APU if you play vanilla. I strongly recommend trying Vortex Mod manager and some beautification (and tall tree mod).

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1640 on: October 31, 2020, 07:47:34 AM »

I would sell you my old RX470 for cheap since I upgraded not long ago, but I guess from Germany to France is a bit expensive for post? I have no idea. Too bad I can't send it per mail.

For Skyrim all you need is a current AMD APU if you play vanilla. I strongly recommend trying Vortex Mod manager and some beautification (and tall tree mod).

Send me a price, I don't think postage would be bad, less than 10 Euros I'm sure - I tried to buy a Geforce 1050 Ti from within France yesterday and the postage for that was 5 Euros (buyer cancelled unfortunately).

Hmm looks like 7 Euros for a kilo at DP? https://www.deutschepost.de/de/b/briefe-ins-ausland.html

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1641 on: November 05, 2020, 09:45:19 AM »
Crackdown and Crackdown 2 are free in the xbox store.   I downloaded them months ago when I saw they were free and had good ratings, without ever hearing about the games before. 

Just started playing crackdown, and it gives me a very GTA type of vibe.  Hard to say if the game is good because I'm only a couple of hours into it at this point, but I've been enjoying it.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1642 on: November 05, 2020, 10:01:10 AM »
I signed up for the Xbox game pass for PC ($1 for first month; I don't have an Xbox but you can get the same deal for the ultimate pass which includes console, PC, and mobile I believe). I downloaded 3 games to try, but never got past the first, Crusader Kings 3, as I've really enjoyed it. Not sure that I'll buy it, as I'm getting hints that I may find it too repetitive soon, but sure beat laying out $50 which I was tempted to do after first hearing about it.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1643 on: November 07, 2020, 10:30:32 PM »
I paid a little more than I would have liked for Resident Evil 2 ($16), but my sister and I were looking for a spooky game to play together. We did one campaign but gave up on the second one once we realized it was basically (exactly?) the same. Enjoyed it! Took me back to when I played the original on N64 with friends.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1644 on: November 17, 2020, 11:41:51 PM »
I`m hoping to get a PS5 this year. I really want to play Demon Souls.

I`m thinking of signing up for the Sony Playstation CC. I buy enough games and keep rolling over my PS+ account for it to be worth it. They have a limited time 10x points if you use it through Playstation directly by the end of the year. 5x points any other time. Plus, you get 50% off your yearly membership PS+ if you spend 3k on the card each year. This all seems easy enough. The only downside is the high APR, but I pay my bill in full every month anyway. Considering that I spend a fair amount on buying games digitally PSN, the points will add up pretty quick and should pretty much cover PS+ and some every year.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1645 on: November 18, 2020, 06:26:07 AM »
I picked up a copy of Link's Awakening on FB marketplace last week.  I loved that game when it first came out.  Of course, my kiddo wants Hyrule Warriors instead.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1646 on: December 11, 2020, 05:29:00 AM »
I was able to purchase a PS5 a couple of weeks ago. I am very pleased with it so far. The controller is surprisingly one of my favorite things about it. The sound and rumble feedback from it is such a neat improved upon feature. Oh, and Demon`s Souls is one of the prettiest games I have ever played.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1647 on: December 11, 2020, 08:46:23 AM »
I picked up a copy of Link's Awakening on FB marketplace last week.  I loved that game when it first came out.  Of course, my kiddo wants Hyrule Warriors instead.

I combined the eshop sale with some walmart point cards that were discounted for black friday. There's a lot more content than I remembered in this one. It's a little obtuse at points and can be hard (the final boss just kicked my ass), but it's a great game. Shame about the frame rate.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1648 on: December 11, 2020, 11:44:39 AM »
Bioware dropped new trailers for Mass Effect and Dragon Age sequels. Both look really good, but they're in "early production" so who knows when they'll get here or how good they'll be when they arrive.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1649 on: December 12, 2020, 10:49:32 PM »
I'm looking forward to playing Amplitude's Humankind demo/open dev in a couple days.

And I'm playing civ6 multiplayer with my DS(10). Unfortunately there is a bit of a skill level mismatch. I can set the diff up on myself but I'm pretty sure that doesn't actually do anything past prince anyway (players get bonuses below prince, AIs get bonuses when they are set above prince. But if I bump the AI up to diety, kiddo is gonna get rekt.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!