Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781454 times)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1500 on: April 30, 2020, 01:34:38 AM »
Final Fantasy VII Remake: I haven't played this game, but I've read some of the press and some impressions on forums (including this thread), which have generally been pretty positive, but then I watch videos of the game and it seems...laughable and cringe worthy? I'm talking about the story bits/dialogue/acting here. My (completely earnest) question: Is this intentional? Is it some kind of anime or JRPG thing to have unnatural dialogue and awkward interaction between characters? It's hard to imagine, given the resources and hype behind this game, that they couldn't have pulled off something more natural if they wanted. I guess I don't understand how the marquee game in the marquee franchise of a genre that seemingly emphasizes story so heavily (and has a long history of doing so) can do such a poor a job at the story bits.

Hmm, which bits/characters? Certain ones are supposed to be awkward. There are a couple of other bits that are particularly cheesy (I find Jessie a bit OTT, and Barret too at the beginning), but... no, generally, it's good right up til the last bit when it goes a bit... well, it's been called this elsewhere so I'll borrow it, though I haven't played it myself - "Kingdom Hearts".

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1501 on: April 30, 2020, 08:00:40 AM »
Final Fantasy VII Remake: I haven't played this game, but I've read some of the press and some impressions on forums (including this thread), which have generally been pretty positive, but then I watch videos of the game and it seems...laughable and cringe worthy? I'm talking about the story bits/dialogue/acting here. My (completely earnest) question: Is this intentional? Is it some kind of anime or JRPG thing to have unnatural dialogue and awkward interaction between characters? It's hard to imagine, given the resources and hype behind this game, that they couldn't have pulled off something more natural if they wanted. I guess I don't understand how the marquee game in the marquee franchise of a genre that seemingly emphasizes story so heavily (and has a long history of doing so) can do such a poor a job at the story bits.

Hmm, which bits/characters? Certain ones are supposed to be awkward. There are a couple of other bits that are particularly cheesy (I find Jessie a bit OTT, and Barret too at the beginning), but... no, generally, it's good right up til the last bit when it goes a bit... well, it's been called this elsewhere so I'll borrow it, though I haven't played it myself - "Kingdom Hearts".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qlf3b9wa4s

Edit to say there are probably spoilers in that video and also I'm not saying I agree with all this dude's opinions. I have a like-hate opinion of him.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:10:12 AM by salt cured »

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1502 on: April 30, 2020, 08:42:21 AM »
Anyone has recommendations for a first person "medieval" action RPG? Something where you can swing swords around and drop hammer on enemies. But not with too much role play or riddles.
A mix of Diablo and the battle part of Mount&Blade.
(PC <25€)

For action RPG, if you're looking to lean more into the action side, you might try Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (the first one is fun as well, but I wonder if you'll find others to play with).  The game has flaws, certainly, but the swordplay is excellent and far more complex than most RPGs.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1503 on: April 30, 2020, 08:49:43 AM »
So far its been more Divinity OS 2 and Baldurs Gate EE on PC
Just started BG:EE last night. It's been sitting in my Steam library forever, but now I finally have enough time/boredom to dig into it again (played the original version back in the day). Been thinking about picking up Divinity, but figured I should start with a game I already have first.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1504 on: May 01, 2020, 02:33:05 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qlf3b9wa4s

Edit to say there are probably spoilers in that video and also I'm not saying I agree with all this dude's opinions. I have a like-hate opinion of him.

Oh, yeah, well like I said I find Jessie a bit too cutesy. Aeris as well (I think they did a good job making her just so, but her just so is something I'm allergic to). Watching that video.. he's compressing 40 hours of those 'cringe' bits to make it seem worse than it is.

There is lots of good in the game; those dialog bits aren't the bad bits, the other things he mentions IMHO are (not going to say what because of spoilers), they did a reboot (feels like the rebooted Star Trek stuff in a way, which I didn't like at all). Don't know how it'll go for the next game.

It took me a while but the combat is good. The bits of Midgar we see are cool. I don't think it hits ALL the buttons to be a truly great game and I think they spent the dev time on the wrong bits - as the video says, the things taken from the original and expanded are generally awesome ("what the fans wanted" - me, in this case), and the new bits (Chadley... lol. The new ending. FAR TOO MUCH SEPHIROTH.) aren't.

I love Cloud, Tifa. Barret to a degree. Jessie so a degree, cringe aside. Can't stand Hojo. They did a good job with Rude and Reno I think. Lots of endless corridoor bits, the side quests are a bit pointless but to break up the corridoor... it's tricky.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1505 on: May 06, 2020, 03:44:42 PM »
Just started BG:EE last night. It's been sitting in my Steam library forever, but now I finally have enough time/boredom to dig into it again (played the original version back in the day). Been thinking about picking up Divinity, but figured I should start with a game I already have first.

Divinity is good, Id say its a little slower than BG or Icewind Dale. Divinity is interesting, fun to co-op with another person. 4 person c-op is pain. Id recommend a tank, a dps mage/healer, a rogue/ranger and something else.

So BG 2 EE is what I have, I should have made that clear. But for BG what class did you roll? Are you going to have fun with the cheats? Lots of neat npcs and quests.

I dumped hrs into the original BG back in the day, I beat it 3 times? Probably put at least 200 hrs into it.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1506 on: May 06, 2020, 03:47:12 PM »
We also get a lot of stuff for review, I can mention some of the stuff I've played for that, usually a combo of Steam/Switch/PS4.

Speaking of review games, I got Streets of Rage 4 and its very good. Its not super expensive but oh man its polished and takes me back to the Sega Genesis days

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1507 on: May 07, 2020, 05:46:40 AM »

Divinity is good, Id say its a little slower than BG or Icewind Dale. Divinity is interesting, fun to co-op with another person. 4 person c-op is pain. Id recommend a tank, a dps mage/healer, a rogue/ranger and something else.

So BG 2 EE is what I have, I should have made that clear. But for BG what class did you roll? Are you going to have fun with the cheats? Lots of neat npcs and quests.

I dumped hrs into the original BG back in the day, I beat it 3 times? Probably put at least 200 hrs into it.
First play-through of a "new" game1, I usually play a basic fighter class. Eases the learning curve a bit, relative to spell-casters etc. In this case, I considered various kits, but wound up with a vanilla fighter; I did take advantage of the newly added half-orc race, though. I naturally rolled 19 str and 18 con, so, winning!

No cheats as of yet, though it seems like EE bakes in some things that used to be considered cheats/hacks in the original version. And though I didn't set it up on purpose, I did take shameless advantage of a game glitch that let me keep Minsc (and Boo!) after dismissing Dynaheir. Otherwise trying to play pretty legit this first run-through. Might play around with mods, cheats, etc., in my second play-through (which seems fitting, since that'll usually be my Evil party run --can't wait to try out Dorn Il Khan!).

1Even though I played original BG back the day, it's been long enough since I played this or any of these 3rd person party-based RPGs (or anything with AD&D 2E rules) that I thought it best to treat it as new to me

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1508 on: May 11, 2020, 12:35:47 PM »

First play-through of a "new" game1, I usually play a basic fighter class. Eases the learning curve a bit, relative to spell-casters etc. In this case, I considered various kits, but wound up with a vanilla fighter; I did take advantage of the newly added half-orc race, though. I naturally rolled 19 str and 18 con, so, winning!

No cheats as of yet, though it seems like EE bakes in some things that used to be considered cheats/hacks in the original version. And though I didn't set it up on purpose, I did take shameless advantage of a game glitch that let me keep Minsc (and Boo!) after dismissing Dynaheir. Otherwise trying to play pretty legit this first run-through. Might play around with mods, cheats, etc., in my second play-through (which seems fitting, since that'll usually be my Evil party run --can't wait to try out Dorn Il Khan!).

1Even though I played original BG back the day, it's been long enough since I played this or any of these 3rd person party-based RPGs (or anything with AD&D 2E rules) that I thought it best to treat it as new to me

Oh a fighter is always good. And there are some new NPCs in both games including some for evil playthroughs. I gotta say this evil party in BG 2 EE is pretty good.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1509 on: May 13, 2020, 07:43:23 AM »

Oh a fighter is always good. And there are some new NPCs in both games including some for evil playthroughs. I gotta say this evil party in BG 2 EE is pretty good.
Yeah, I'm using Neera the wild mage this go 'round. And I unknowingly "borrowed" Dorn Il Khan's avatar for my current PC, though I changed it halfway through (to avoid confusion/cognitive dissonance in my future evil playthrough).

I'm open to suggestions for an interesting PC class/build for my next playthrough. I feel like I'm pretty comfortable with the spell system, etc., now, so everything is on the table.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1510 on: May 13, 2020, 08:45:33 AM »
Picked up Pillars of Eternity 2, the deluxe edition is currently on sale on Steam for like $25. Started playing a little last night and so far it's been pretty good. My one gripe is that on character creation you have to decide on multiclass vs. single class, and there's no way to respec your character class after that point. Sounds like there is a mod that lets you edit the character files to do so, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, gonna see if I like my current build before deciding. Currently playing a dual-pistol-weilding sharpshooter :D

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1511 on: May 13, 2020, 12:16:39 PM »
Picked up Divinity:OS2 on a Steam sale, will probably check it out after I'm done with BG:EE (no telling when that will be, though). I've been watching that title for while, don't think I've seen it go cheaper than the current sale (half off, $22 and change).

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1512 on: May 13, 2020, 06:05:40 PM »
The Surge 2. I was quite bad at the original but enjoyed it very much nonetheless. In the interim I played the Dark Souls series which upskilled my fighting abilities tremendously. So much so that, once I had crafted and upgraded a good set of armor, I found the second half of The Surge 2 to be quite easy, especially the final boss who I did away with in about 2 minutes flat. Nonetheless, I still really enjoyed it.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1513 on: May 13, 2020, 07:28:21 PM »
Picked up Divinity:OS2 on a Steam sale, will probably check it out after I'm done with BG:EE (no telling when that will be, though). I've been watching that title for while, don't think I've seen it go cheaper than the current sale (half off, $22 and change).

I am currently playing through D:OS2 for a second time, and I think I am enjoying it more this time. I am more prepared for the difficulty, which I found excruciating on first play-through.

Piece of advice: if you're getting your ass kicked again and again, it means the game doesn't want you to go this way yet. Go a different way and get in a fight you have a chance of winning. It's seems open-worldy, but the game clearly wants you to follow a path. 

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1514 on: May 13, 2020, 07:34:08 PM »
Mustachianism bit me in the ass a bit. Or it saved me a face-punch worthy frivolous expense, depending on how you look at it.

I put off buying a Nintendo Switch for months and months and months. I could not justify the expense. When I finally break down and commit to buy one (so much savings from cutting the entertainment budget by 99% per COVID) they're sold out in the entirety of the United States. That's some shit right there! I guess no more stock is expected until "summer" per Nintendo's official statements. So, July I guess. Damn!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1515 on: May 14, 2020, 07:11:39 AM »

I am currently playing through D:OS2 for a second time, and I think I am enjoying it more this time. I am more prepared for the difficulty, which I found excruciating on first play-through.

Piece of advice: if you're getting your ass kicked again and again, it means the game doesn't want you to go this way yet. Go a different way and get in a fight you have a chance of winning. It's seems open-worldy, but the game clearly wants you to follow a path.
I'll keep that in mind. Actually the difficulty is one of the things that kept me from trying it sooner; I don't really play games for the "challenge", so much as the experience, but I've also got just enough pride to not want to do "easy" mode, or resort to cheats or "cheese" tactics too readily. We'll see how it goes I guess; at least now I won't be trying re-learn my basic isometric-RPG skils at the same time.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1516 on: May 14, 2020, 03:54:09 PM »
Picked up Pillars of Eternity 2, the deluxe edition is currently on sale on Steam for like $25. Started playing a little last night and so far it's been pretty good. My one gripe is that on character creation you have to decide on multiclass vs. single class, and there's no way to respec your character class after that point. Sounds like there is a mod that lets you edit the character files to do so, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, gonna see if I like my current build before deciding. Currently playing a dual-pistol-weilding sharpshooter :D

POE 2 was somewhat panned but I enjoyed it as much as D:OS2. There are some nice guns at the Brass Citadel gunsmithy.

I'm finishing up Kingmaker, which is another isometric RPG using the Pathfinder rules.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1517 on: May 14, 2020, 04:48:06 PM »
Competing with my roommate for lap times in Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 lately...tough competition, haha.

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #1518 on: May 15, 2020, 04:19:04 AM »
The only paid-for in money game is Arma3 (to hone my english skills :)).

Other than that i mostly play opensource games (here i often pay with bug reports and some programming):
- The battle for wesnoth (a turn based strategy fantasy game, this really is nice; chess on steroids)
- OpenTransportTycoon (together with my son, so he learns strategy and basic economy skills)
- Hedgewars (opensource worms, for the fun)
- flightgear (i love flying but its too expensive to get a PPL and maintain a plane)
- widelands (because i love settlers)
- minetest with mineclone2
- sporadically also the old DOS adventure classics like indy and monkey island

I do not like console games too much, and also i don't like closed-source commercial games nowadays. The tend to only have bling-bling but often no deep gameplay and i dont like the console controls either.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1519 on: May 15, 2020, 05:25:49 AM »

Other than that i mostly play opensource games (here i often pay with bug reports and some programming):
- The battle for wesnoth (a turn based strategy fantasy game, this really is nice; chess on steroids)
- OpenTransportTycoon (together with my son, so he learns strategy and basic economy skills)
- flightgear (i love flying but its too expensive to get a PPL and maintain a plane)

I do not like console games too much, and also i don't like closed-source commercial games nowadays. The tend to only have bling-bling but often no deep gameplay and i dont like the console controls either.

Does OTT run under Win10? Do you know?
I so wish there would be worthy remakes of the old Tycoon games, but all tries either fail in polishing or make some stupid design changes.
And of course a Master of Magic refresh with modern graphics, better balancing and a few more customize options. *dreamy eyes*

Is there still work done on Widelands? I am under impression it's dead for 3-4 years now. It did some translations even longer ago, but at that time there was not that much going on either.

For those who still have not heard about it: The Epic Games Store has GTA V extended edition (or what it is called) this week and a 10€ (or $ I hope for you US) FOR FREE.
Yesterday the servers were down though.

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #1520 on: May 15, 2020, 05:38:32 AM »
Does OTT run under Win10? Do you know?
At least there are builds for windows: https://www.openttd.org/downloads/openttd-releases/latest.html
Just try them. I never did - who needs windows if one can run linux? ;P

https://www.wesnoth.org/ also has windows binarys and is even sourceable from steam.

Many other games do also.

Is there still work done on Widelands?
Accroding to the commit histroy it is: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/graphs/commit-activity
And it has widows builds: https://www.widelands.org/wiki/Download/

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1521 on: May 15, 2020, 09:31:49 AM »
Meh, gave up on my second play-through of DOS2. I made it to the fight that concludes act I and got my ass thoroughly kicked. I don't have the motivation this time around to pour over the internet looking for strategy and advice. It starts to feel too much like work. (I also have a childish mental barrier that prevents me from ever lowering the difficulty to win a fight - I would rather lose fair and square and give up than cheat.) I have to hand it to the studio, they kept it real for the hardcore fans out there.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1522 on: May 15, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »

I'll keep that in mind. Actually the difficulty is one of the things that kept me from trying it sooner; I don't really play games for the "challenge", so much as the experience, but I've also got just enough pride to not want to do "easy" mode, or resort to cheats or "cheese" tactics too readily. We'll see how it goes I guess; at least now I won't be trying re-learn my basic isometric-RPG skils at the same time.

I found out I really couldnt cheese the game that much. i played through on easy so I could enjoy the game.

2nd playthrough of DOS2 I'll up the difficulty

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1523 on: May 15, 2020, 11:56:03 AM »
Meh, gave up on my second play-through of DOS2. I made it to the fight that concludes act I and got my ass thoroughly kicked. I don't have the motivation this time around to pour over the internet looking for strategy and advice. It starts to feel too much like work. (I also have a childish mental barrier that prevents me from ever lowering the difficulty to win a fight - I would rather lose fair and square and give up than cheat.) I have to hand it to the studio, they kept it real for the hardcore fans out there.

I replayed some of the battles a dozen times.

I never drop the difficulty either but I will cheese a fight, including leaving my fallen comrades on the ground and running away like Brave Sir Robin.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1524 on: May 15, 2020, 11:58:01 AM »

I love Wesnoth and check the site occasionally to find a new campaign.

I haven't heard of Widelands and will check it out. Thanks!

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1525 on: May 17, 2020, 12:44:02 PM »
I'm back to my old Atari now...  Tried some newer PC gaming and found that the realism is not working for me.  Pretty much everything I tried gave me motion sickness within half an hour.  Long story short after going through a number of generations of games on systems, what I truly enjoy and what does not make me sick is classic arcade style gaming!

One in particular I've spent a lot of hours playing is the old classic Atari 2600 port of Berzerk.  Now really wishing I still had more of those classics around (a number of them were lost when we moved, some were stolen at some point, and some I threw away when we "upgraded" to a PS2).

Fortunately though, there is a surprisingly active Atari homebrew group out there.  Got a couple new ones on order right now through them!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1526 on: May 17, 2020, 06:54:01 PM »
I'm back to my old Atari now...  Tried some newer PC gaming and found that the realism is not working for me.  Pretty much everything I tried gave me motion sickness within half an hour.

Two words: Ginger pills.

I pop 1000mg before jumping on Destiny 2.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1527 on: May 19, 2020, 07:42:47 AM »
I'm back to my old Atari now...  Tried some newer PC gaming and found that the realism is not working for me.  Pretty much everything I tried gave me motion sickness within half an hour.  Long story short after going through a number of generations of games on systems, what I truly enjoy and what does not make me sick is classic arcade style gaming!

One in particular I've spent a lot of hours playing is the old classic Atari 2600 port of Berzerk.  Now really wishing I still had more of those classics around (a number of them were lost when we moved, some were stolen at some point, and some I threw away when we "upgraded" to a PS2).

Fortunately though, there is a surprisingly active Atari homebrew group out there.  Got a couple new ones on order right now through them!

There is an anthology you can buy on Steam that includes like 40 atari games.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1528 on: May 19, 2020, 10:20:27 AM »

There is an anthology you can buy on Steam that includes like 40 atari games.

or you just type in PC Atari emulator games in the search engine of your choice. I am sure it works.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1529 on: May 20, 2020, 08:22:01 AM »
Played Borderlands last night with my old roomies.  Eh, the intro mission was annoying as hell and gameplay seems about standard for modern FPS - way too many weapons and various other gear that I have no time to learn about.  Basically same as all the other FPS with different skins. 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1530 on: May 20, 2020, 08:50:14 AM »
The weapons are all procedurally generated which ATMO makes it so that you don't really have to learn anything about them. In a game with ten weapons, sure, go to the wiki and read up. In a game with unlimited weapons, just look at the numbers in the in-game UI and wing it.

I have BL3 but haven't started it yet. I liked the first two and tried the pre-sequel but it felt terrible - really floaty, slow aim and movement.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1531 on: May 20, 2020, 09:08:04 AM »
The weapons are all procedurally generated which ATMO makes it so that you don't really have to learn anything about them. In a game with ten weapons, sure, go to the wiki and read up. In a game with unlimited weapons, just look at the numbers in the in-game UI and wing it.

I have BL3 but haven't started it yet. I liked the first two and tried the pre-sequel but it felt terrible - really floaty, slow aim and movement.

Another weird thing about BL3 is the perspective seems a little off.  I play on a 120" projector screen but still, it's like the camera viewpoint is just off, like your viewpoint is about 1ft in front of the character's face instead of at the actual face.  Even my wife who never plays games noticed it and commented on it.  It makes it difficult (for me at least) to look around and maintain accurate fire, it always seems like you're looking through a pair of weak binocs.  Also the enemies are reaaaalllly obnoxious.  Maybe they're meant for 12yo kids or something but the cartoonish demeanor of them gets annoying.  Has me looking for an option to turn off all enemy dialog or something like that.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1532 on: May 20, 2020, 09:18:20 AM »
Heh, I play on a giant projector screen too. Is the FOV adjustable?

Agree they went a little too hard on the juvenile humor. There's a DLC playable character in 2 that gets old after about 13 seconds but you're stuck with her for a good chunk of time

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1533 on: May 20, 2020, 09:20:01 AM »
I've been playing a ton of Overwatch the last year or so but I also have gotten sucked back into Crusader Kings 2 this week. CK3 comes out in September so they have made CK2 free to play and given away a few of the DLCs to it - I just got The Old Gods and have played a couple Viking campaigns which is fun.

Better half is playing Witcher 3 after powering through the entire book series in a week and a half.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1534 on: May 20, 2020, 09:41:48 AM »
Played Borderlands last night with my old roomies.  Eh, the intro mission was annoying as hell and gameplay seems about standard for modern FPS - way too many weapons and various other gear that I have no time to learn about.  Basically same as all the other FPS with different skins.

Borderlands 2 was a huge improvement, especially in terms of time spent running back and forth on boring missions. Teleportation and vehicles are commonly available.

If you don't like the large variety of weapons and items, it's probably not for you though. As you progress through the game, variety in gear only increases but the good part is that the function of those items branches out and interacts with character skills. Once you get past the early game it's definitely not the same as most other FPS.

Most FPS don't have a shotgun that shoots out swords which explode sending out 3 smaller swords in random directions which, of course, also explode. And if you get the right variant of that weapon you can multiply all of that by 3. The best part is that weapons like that aren't just a stupid novelty, they can be legitimately effective weapons.

ETA: looks like you may have been talking about BL3. Haven't played that one yet.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1535 on: May 21, 2020, 06:48:48 AM »
I'm kind of excited about PGA 2k21 coming in August. I haven't played a good golf game in years, but this one looks promising

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1536 on: May 21, 2020, 07:38:31 AM »

Borderlands 2 was a huge improvement, especially in terms of time spent running back and forth on boring missions. Teleportation and vehicles are commonly available.

If you don't like the large variety of weapons and items, it's probably not for you though. As you progress through the game, variety in gear only increases but the good part is that the function of those items branches out and interacts with character skills. Once you get past the early game it's definitely not the same as most other FPS.

Most FPS don't have a shotgun that shoots out swords which explode sending out 3 smaller swords in random directions which, of course, also explode. And if you get the right variant of that weapon you can multiply all of that by 3. The best part is that weapons like that aren't just a stupid novelty, they can be legitimately effective weapons.

ETA: looks like you may have been talking about BL3. Haven't played that one yet.

My problem with progressively "cooler" weapons is that as you upgrade your weapons the enemies just get stronger so it's ultimately a stalemate.  Maybe they have more impact on PvP missions, but with team play vs. computer it's just tedious.  I'm forced to always be trying to find upgraded weapons just to stay on a level playing field with the enemies.

Just give me a pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper rifle, grenades and keep them the same.  Instead of just making enemies harder to kill as gameplay progresses I'd prefer to have more varied types of missions and maps.

Maybe I'm just getting old.  I like Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon style missions.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1537 on: May 21, 2020, 08:16:07 AM »
For me, some of the fun in BL is that the guns do different things, forcing you to adapt. Here's a sniper with vastly more damage than the one you're carrying around, but much worse stability - do you go for it, or try and focus on headshots with your existing gun? Here's a huge upgrade to your SMG but it doesn't have fire damage like your current one. Each one makes you change your play style a little bit.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1538 on: May 21, 2020, 09:28:41 AM »

Exactly mirrors my opinions.

I began BL3 but, meh, I guess I am getting harder to please. It feels like a carbon copy of BL2. Since i played BL2 I got really into Destiny 2. I think Destiny 2 may be better than BL3.

ETA: For me it all comes down to the feel of the guns. Hate to sound like the dreaded "casual" but the best gun feel in any video game is Call of Duty MW 2019. Destiny 2 guns feel absolutely superb, especially the bows. It's like you can feel the snap of the bow string. It makes it really fun to use. I am not sure the BL3 upped their game quite enough. I still intend to pick it back up after I am done with Code Vein.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:36:02 AM by eljefe-speaks »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1539 on: May 21, 2020, 09:37:46 AM »
Just an FYI epic games is giving away GTA V on PC for free.  Today is the last day.

The lego ninjago movie game is also free on Xbox, PS4, and PC.  Today is also the last day for this.

Both games are free to keep forever, you just have to "purchase" them by today. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1540 on: May 21, 2020, 10:46:44 AM »
Just an FYI epic games is giving away GTA V on PC for free.  Today is the last day.

Looks like I missed it by a couple hours...

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1541 on: May 21, 2020, 10:52:38 AM »
The new game starting today is Civilization VI. Not a bad game...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1542 on: May 21, 2020, 10:54:36 AM »

Looks like I missed it by a couple hours...

Yea I read it was available until May 21, but apparently it's ended.  Civ 6 is now the free game. 

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1543 on: May 21, 2020, 01:04:00 PM »
Currently really into Another Eden, a mobile game by the same person as Xenogears and Chrono Trigger.

Wow. It's gacha, but you really don't have to pay a penny, you get plenty of free good units. There is loads of content. The story is good, the music is amazing. I'm totally blown away.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1544 on: May 21, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »
I tried to play Crucible last night with friends and it was rough. Very unpolished even for day one and even considering it was free to play. We all uninstalled it after one match.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1545 on: May 21, 2020, 03:09:19 PM »
The lego ninjago movie game is also free on Xbox, PS4, and PC.  Today is also the last day for this.

Both games are free to keep forever, you just have to "purchase" them by today.
ooh, thanks for the tip!  My kids love Lego Ninjago, so they might really enjoy this one.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1546 on: May 29, 2020, 07:33:49 AM »
I`ve jumped back into Sekiro. Wish me well...

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1547 on: June 01, 2020, 11:29:36 AM »
Been playing a lot of OG Xbox recently. Some Tony Hawk 3, 2X, Fallout Brotherhood of Steel (so bad), Xmen Legends 2. Finished Halfe Life Episode 1 and Lost Coast. I've never played either.

Also jumped back into Fallout 4 and its DLC and New Vegas on PS3

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1548 on: June 12, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »
Anyone else watch the PS5 live stream yesterday? Anyone going to pre-order the PS5 when able? I read somewhere that if it launches at 5 bills, it will be a steal based on the technology it features. Not sure if that is true.

Speaking of the live stream, the only thing that really floored me was the Demon's Souls remake. They kept a good lid on this. I had know clue that it was in the works. However, I would definitely prefer Dark Souls IV, or Bloodborne II. Hopefully that is on deck. I was really hoping for some Elden Ring news, but... crickets.

Been playing through Far Cry 5 recently. It is my favorite of the series! I have played 3 and 4. This seems to be a minority opinion.

Picked up Forza Motorsport 7 for 20 bucks. Absolutely loving it.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1549 on: June 13, 2020, 12:24:15 AM »
Anyone else watch the PS5 live stream yesterday? Anyone going to pre-order the PS5 when able?

Yes I watched it. It wasn't what I expected with the first hour being a PS5 gaming show case and the last few minutes showing what the hardware will look like but with no real detail on specs.

As nice as the showcased games looked, it was very hard to really appreciate them on a 1080p live stream when the PS4 Pro already puts out 4K. Thankfully there are 4K versions of 4 of the games shown here at https://www.youtube.com/user/PlayStation. Horizon is what caught my attention, as that is the game that convinced me to buy a PS4 Pro and the PS5 version looks breathtaking in the 4K video.

Re Pre-ordering, after many years of doing this sort of thing in my youth and usually regretting it because of initial hardware and/or software teething issues, not to mention paying a premium for the product, I will not be pre-ordering anything. Hopefully it will be out well before Christmas then will be on sale, or at least bundled with a few good PS5 titles at a good price for the boxing day sales.

I paid $A500 for my PS4 Pro and will have had about 10,000 hours out of it by the time the PS5 replaces it, which works out to 5 cents an hour's entertainment, so I have no qualms shedding out up to $A1000 for a PS5 and associated accessories because I know that I will get many years of joy out of it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!