Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781479 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1450 on: April 09, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »
Hitman 2 has the first level for free on Steam.  It was fun....challenging, too.  Too bad the full game is $60!

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1451 on: April 09, 2020, 11:03:15 AM »
X-Com 2: War of the Chosen

Love that game to no end, but it is SO DAMN hard. And I just can't stomach the permadeath of my favorite soldiers. It's too hardcore for me. Oh, and the missing from point-blank range with a shotgun. That has made me rage-quite several times.

ETA: I am hoping the Gear Tactics will be a nicely polished XCOM2 clone with all my issues fixed.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:26:22 AM by eljefe-speaks »

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1452 on: April 09, 2020, 01:20:40 PM »
Uncharted 4 came bundled with my PS4 so I played it and really enjoyed it. I have the Drake Collection but your experience isn't making me super excited to play the previous games...

I was happy to delete the collection off my HD. I think the second one is the only one worth playing, but all are likely to disappoint after Uncharted 4.

My least favorite part of Uncharted 4 was how many people I had to kill. The game gives you a kill tally at the end and I think mine was around 350. Made me rather uncomfortable considering that these aren't really bad guys. They're mostly just mercenaries hired for treasure hunting and you want the treasure more so you murder them.

God damn it. I don't understand why there is so much killing/combat in these games. It often feels so out of place and has been the least fun thing about them. 

These were all still minor detractions though. The game is gorgeous and the way the cutscenes blend into the gameplay is really incredible. The story is overall pretty good and I liked the way they built the relationships between the main characters. The movement and gameplay in general felt really natural and was a lot of fun.

Agree agree agree. Have been very impressed so far.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1453 on: April 09, 2020, 06:02:56 PM »
Girlfriend is completely immersed in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.  She's over 250 hours already (not joking).  She's self-employed and her business probably won't be back online until summer at the earliest.

I played a couple hours of Fallout 3.  It came in a Steam bundle years ago and it's been on my "meaning to play" list for about 10 years.  It's solid so far.  It was often pitched back in the day as "Oblivion with guns" and yep, that's pretty accurate.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1454 on: April 09, 2020, 08:43:50 PM »
If you think it's solid, you HAVE to try New Vegas. Easily the best of the modern fallout games IMO

ministashy

• Stubble
« Reply #1455 on: April 09, 2020, 10:01:35 PM »
I recently finished Gris, which I highly recommend--it's a platformer, but the art, music and overall atmosphere are just flat-out gorgeous.  It's very artistic and well done.  I also liked that I couldn't die--there is nothing to kill, no competing for points, no stress about watching your avatar die over and over, just puzzles and levels you have to figure out.  It's a very meditative game. 

On that note, I'm looking for other calm, quiet PC games that will help me take my mind off things.  Any recommendations?

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #1456 on: April 10, 2020, 01:37:51 AM »
on my "meaning to play" list for about 10 years

I have "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" on such a list.
And Homeland 2.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1457 on: April 10, 2020, 04:31:09 AM »
On that note, I'm looking for other calm, quiet PC games that will help me take my mind off things.  Any recommendations?

How about this?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/272040/KAMI/

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1458 on: April 10, 2020, 09:10:50 AM »
My Quarantine gaming right now involves juggling between Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Fallout New Vegas, and Black Mesa.  I definitely spent way too much money on games on Steam in anticipation of being locked in.

Also, starting to do tabletop gaming via the internet (Tabletop Simulator) with some friends, which has been a nice, more social diversion.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1459 on: April 10, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »
I recently finished Gris, which I highly recommend--it's a platformer, but the art, music and overall atmosphere are just flat-out gorgeous.  It's very artistic and well done.  I also liked that I couldn't die--there is nothing to kill, no competing for points, no stress about watching your avatar die over and over, just puzzles and levels you have to figure out.  It's a very meditative game. 

Without a single hesitation: Stardew Valley! Some farming, some socializing, some discovery, so relaxing. Fantastic game.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1460 on: April 10, 2020, 08:50:09 PM »
If you think it's solid, you HAVE to try New Vegas. Easily the best of the modern fallout games IMO

I've been playing it for the last few weeks, great game.  (The Anti-material rifle is the way to roll!)

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1461 on: April 11, 2020, 04:42:54 PM »
Finished Uncharted 4 this morning. It's easily my favorite game that I've played on the platform. I could have done with a lot less shooting and I'd have preferred a shorter game overall, but it's an enormous improvement over the others. I'm sure they'll make more Uncharteds, but I'd be much happier if ended it there and they took what learned to tackle new stories and settings.

I wonder how Tomb Raider stacks up? I have the reboot. Since I've pretty much bounced off Fallout 4, I might check it out.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1462 on: April 11, 2020, 05:35:09 PM »
They could always change their mind but my impression from the book was that 4 is supposed to be the last one. There is a repeatedly reshelved movie also published by Sony, which might come out next year.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1463 on: April 11, 2020, 09:01:09 PM »
They could always change their mind but my impression from the book was that 4 is supposed to be the last one. There is a repeatedly reshelved movie also published by Sony, which might come out next year.

Oh cool, I hope it is the last one. Still excited to try The Last of Us, but I think I'll hold off for a while. It's strange that the sequel has been delayed indefinitely...if Animal Crossing is any indication, it seems like the perfect time to release a big game.

I just picked up MGS5 for $4, which will be my first (and I suspect my last) in the series lol.

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #1464 on: April 12, 2020, 03:39:56 AM »
call of duty mobile

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1465 on: April 13, 2020, 08:29:56 AM »
Finished playing through Doom 2016.  Fun, with a good formula to get the adrenaline pumping.  Not exactly a thinking person's game, but you didn't really expect that, did you?  In another era, I might've promptly gotten set up for another playthrough, but too many games on the backlog. 

Now I'm working on Assassin's Creed Odyssey.  I own tons of these Assassin's Creed games, most of them through freebies, and often don't play them or can't get through that initial hump.  Nevertheless, for some reason I decided to pick Odyssey up for $10 as it's a bit different than the usual formula.  Enjoying it so far, but just a few hours in.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1466 on: April 14, 2020, 09:17:07 AM »
Just finished FFVII Remake. As a fan of the original... it has a lot to like, but for me a lot to dislike and a lot of missed opportunities.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1467 on: April 14, 2020, 12:38:00 PM »
Playing Anno 1800 again.

I even bought a bunch of the DLC, it's such a beautiful and well done game.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1468 on: April 14, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »
I just picked up MGS5 for $4, which will be my first (and I suspect my last) in the series lol.

$4 for MGS5?! That is a crazy good price for that game!

Piece of advice: don't take your helicopter back to base too often. If you stay in the field and move from mission to mission by foot, or in a stolen jeep, it makes it more of an immersive RPG, IMHO.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1469 on: April 14, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »
Just finished FFVII Remake. As a fan of the original... it has a lot to like, but for me a lot to dislike and a lot of missed opportunities.

How was the combat? For me, that will be crucial. If you played FFXV, is it like that?

I was not a fan of FFXV. Quit about 75% the way through because bored.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1470 on: April 14, 2020, 03:14:08 PM »

How was the combat? For me, that will be crucial. If you played FFXV, is it like that?

You got a lot farther than me. I quit maybe 20% into FFXV at best.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1471 on: April 15, 2020, 04:34:36 AM »

All right, here goes. Bear in mind I played Octopath Traveler immediately prior to VII Remake - which is old school turn based.

Yes I completed XV. It took me a while to get into it - but I played Comrades, the online multiplayer (or not, it can be played with AI companions) DLC and absolutely loved that. I got a LOT better at the main game after playing that DLC. The main game has issues - a lot of which got fixed with various patches, but all in all I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't like how some of the bosses were just totally on rails though (ie, Titan, Leviathan) - you were more watching than playing.

Combat in VII Remake, well, I didn't love it in the demo. I got better at it, though I am in no way *good*. People are raving about it but I didn't love it. Too many times you are unable to do what you want (and if you cast a spell or use an ability and get interrupted, your 'turn bar' is lost, which I found quite unfair - so you end up running away or switching character and running away).

It's trying to be half way between action and turn based but IMHO it doesn't do that. Turn (ATB) gauge doesn't fill based on time only, it fills faster if you use the standard attacks or get damaged... which is all well and good... but if you have no gauge you can't use a potion or spell and you can't just wait for it to fill. Makes no sense.

I mean - best thing to do is try the demo. I played that through twice and I was SO much better by the end of the second run but I wasn't enjoying it more. I don't think the game gets much harder than that honestly. There is a hard mode after you finish it through once. There are three modes initially, Normal (which is what I played through on), Classic and Easy. The latter two... well in theory Classic should be awesome, because it makes it just about using your ATB gauge while not worrying about standard attacks. But they made Classic based on Easy.. it doesn't gel with the game. Lots of positional awareness needed; lots of times if you fat finger or are a split second too late in dodging you get stunned or whatever and have to switch characters (or in one particular fight have to restart as there is one enemy that 'binds' you and another that casts static mines everywhere, so if you mess up you're going from ~3/4 health to dead before you can act again... and this is a bit where you are solo...).

I... and the story, they made a lot good, but the ending is just silly. They've gone OTT anime trope rather than where the original was at the same point. I don't know how they bring it back down - eg you already have Firaga (or Firaja, I can't remember - third level elemental spells anyway). They need to reset you down to like level 15 instead of the cap at 50, and I just don't know how they'll do that.

I think they've gone down the Star Trek reboot route... and I hated that. Star Trek was always a bit more cerebral, more chilled out. Not a typical Hollywood action thing.

So yeah. Lots to like, but they expanded the wrong stuff (yay more slums and more sewers; not more of upper-Midgar), and decided to add so so much whizz bang silliness. And after this you're going to walk to Kalm and.... talk about stuff like you did in the original? No because much of that's been shown already.

Sigh. With such a big title, from such huge developers, and such a huge fanbase they could've done something magical and what they did was cutting through buildings and defying fate. Lots of people are mentioning Kingdom Hearts, which I haven't played. But yeah it seems like what we're seeing is a pivot to a parallel/alternate dimension with fate and destiny and a load of nonsense.

It's a good game, especially as a stand alone... but that's where they messed up IMHO, it isn't stand alone, it's part of a story and they've forgotten that in trying to make the ending be super duper flashy. Bad choice. Oh well.

The graphics are amazing vs the original of course, and lovely to see and explore. Just.. just... ah. I mean I'm not super sad/angry like some people. Just seems like a shame, they took something that needed *remaking* with plot holes filled in and whatnot, and did a *reboot* with all sorts of really not original ideas to make it go boom! bang!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1472 on: April 15, 2020, 04:49:41 AM »
Just started Bioshock Remastered.

Played and enjoyed the original when it came out.

I've been playing a lot of Middle Earth Shadow of War as well.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1473 on: April 15, 2020, 10:43:10 AM »
If you like old style JRPGs, maybe Grandia II is for you. I think there is a remake too, but can't judge it.
The original certainly was NOT Hollywood pew pew in blue. It did get a bit repitative near the end, but that is that genre.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1474 on: April 15, 2020, 01:12:56 PM »

All right, here goes...

So... wait for a decent sale then. Gotcha.

Thanks for the write up!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1475 on: April 16, 2020, 01:14:13 AM »

All right, here goes...

So... wait for a decent sale then. Gotcha.

Thanks for the write up!

It depends on how you 'sit' with the series. There is an argument to say wait until at least 2-3 more games in the 'series' are released... this might be like Robert Jordan, years between releases with a lot of waffle. I mean this is 1/6th maybe of the original game? 1/7th? Even if they reuse a load of stuff... it's going to be 2 years before the next. And then there will be a platform change. And then there will be the Deluxe Entire Series edition which will no doubt update stuff to make it streamline better, but honestly we're looking at ten years?

But yeah if you're not burning with desire to revisit Midgar, no rush.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #1476 on: April 16, 2020, 10:35:59 AM »

Love that game to no end, but it is SO DAMN hard. And I just can't stomach the permadeath of my favorite soldiers. It's too hardcore for me. Oh, and the missing from point-blank range with a shotgun. That has made me rage-quite several times.

ETA: I am hoping the Gear Tactics will be a nicely polished XCOM2 clone with all my issues fixed.

They've just announced a new X-Com: Chimera Squad. 50% off at the moment... 😍

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1477 on: April 16, 2020, 02:49:55 PM »

Try Child of Light!  It's a Ubisoft game (so backed by a big name publisher) that is completely unlike any other Ubisoft I've played before.  Dreamy fantasy landscape, calming music, absolutely gorgeous watercolor backgrounds and shading.  It's kind of an unusual format-- puzzle/turn-based side scroller.  There are monsters and enemies and leveling, but it's not at all difficult imo and you get a quiet sense of satisfaction from smoothly proceeding through a battle.

Oh cool, I hope it is the last one. Still excited to try The Last of Us, but I think I'll hold off for a while. It's strange that the sequel has been delayed indefinitely...if Animal Crossing is any indication, it seems like the perfect time to release a big game.

The Last of Us is a Very Good game-- one of my favorites, and probably easy to get second hand or heavily discounted right now.  I'm waiting with bated breath for the sequel... I suspect Naughty Dog didn't want to force their employees to in-office crunch during the pandemic, which I appreciate.

Transister is 75% off on Steam right now... not that I have any shortage of games to play, but I've heard good things about it.  Anyone have any opinions?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1478 on: April 16, 2020, 03:28:17 PM »
Hitman 2 has the first level for free on Steam.  It was fun....challenging, too.  Too bad the full game is $60!

Isn't hitman 2 from like 2003?! I remember playing the first one in early aughts..?

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1479 on: April 16, 2020, 07:49:36 PM »

Try Child of Light!  It's a Ubisoft game (so backed by a big name publisher) that is completely unlike any other Ubisoft I've played before.  Dreamy fantasy landscape, calming music, absolutely gorgeous watercolor backgrounds and shading.  It's kind of an unusual format-- puzzle/turn-based side scroller.  There are monsters and enemies and leveling, but it's not at all difficult imo and you get a quiet sense of satisfaction from smoothly proceeding through a battle.

The Last of Us is a Very Good game-- one of my favorites, and probably easy to get second hand or heavily discounted right now.  I'm waiting with bated breath for the sequel... I suspect Naughty Dog didn't want to force their employees to in-office crunch during the pandemic, which I appreciate.

I got it on sale a year or two ago. It's been sitting on my HD ever since (I've also had Witcher 3 for at least a year and haven't played it). To be honest, I'm a little reluctant to play TLOU because I'm worried it will be a few steps back from Uncharted 4, being older and all. And I'm still loving MW:Warzone, so it's keeping me occupied.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1480 on: April 17, 2020, 07:48:07 AM »

They've just announced a new X-Com: Chimera Squad. 50% off at the moment... 😍

Thanks for the heads up! I will make it happen at that price, for sure. Why only $20 as the full price? Is this a quick and dirty, cheap, addition? Seems strange for the studio to work on this in place of a proper XCom 3. ???

ETA:

AHHHH! Just watched a YouTube review, and NO PERMADEATH! This is basically exactly what I have been hoping for.

Done deal. Contact Steam for your commission.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:17:11 AM by eljefe-speaks »

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1481 on: April 17, 2020, 07:50:49 AM »
Also wanted to add Steam has Dark Souls 3 for ten bucks right now. Easily one of my top 5 GOATS (yes, you are allowed to have more than one!). It's $13, i think, with all DLC. So that's about 100 or so hours of top notch combat with the BEST boss battles ever created. If you run multiple NG+'s, like me, you will be about 250 hours before you know it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:56:59 AM by eljefe-speaks »

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1482 on: April 17, 2020, 07:53:52 AM »
I'm a little reluctant to play TLOU because I'm worried it will be a few steps back from Uncharted 4,

It was pretty dull for me, having played it a few months ago. I grow more and more tired of the "on rails" games. I want to explore and have freedom of movement. Although, I am still enjoying God of War (2018?). It is on rails, but the combat kicks ass, so that saves it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:56:35 AM by eljefe-speaks »

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1483 on: April 17, 2020, 01:05:41 PM »
Last week the first expension of X4 came out, Split Vengeance. (Who doesn't know, X4 is a 1st person 4X game in space) I had 300 hours in 2 game starts in it. Now with the Split again...

Even worse, in a way, is Mount and Blade II Bannerlord. A game that was expected to alunch in 2016 back in 2015. Now its finally Early Access.

I am such a sucker for sandbox games...

And to make it worse, I started Skyrim again (last was 2016) just a week earlier, but with a load of mods this time. I have never been through half of the main story. As a perfectionist playing a game, that bombards you with quests whenever you turn around a corner...

Damn you! Your comment made me start a new round of Skyrim. There goes another 50-100 hours of my life.

Oh man guys. I found out that since I now have the SE of Skyrim, I had to reload the mods since they are different from the original version. I was never a big modder, just some interface and graphics mods, but with the ease of vortex it is getting bad. I spend more time exploring and installing mods than I am playing the game ATM.

I'm down the rabbit hole now.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1484 on: April 17, 2020, 01:43:52 PM »
My roommates from college and I play PS4 usually once every week or two for a 2hr game night.  It's the same shit every time.  We find a new FPS that allows 4ppl team combat but all games are the same.  You gotta go through some stupid tutorial mission (takes us like 5wks to get all of us through the tutorial mission) and then once you get through that all the FPS games are basically the same.  There's a marketplace, upgrade market, weapons market, etc.  This is useless for the weekend warrior types like us.  We're all working 50+ hours a week and many have kids, we don't have time to make each game a lifestyle.  Plus the games are all way too complex.  They have like 37 different weapons combinations and upgrades, they make FFVII seem like child's play.  So usually we just punt and end up playing rocket league.

Speaking of FFVII, that's my favorite console game of all time and I'm was happily surprised this week to see there's a remake.  I have hip surgery coming up as soon as elective surgeries start happening again....I know what I'll be doing. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1485 on: April 17, 2020, 02:25:07 PM »
My roommates from college and I play PS4 usually once every week or two for a 2hr game night.  It's the same shit every time.  We find a new FPS that allows 4ppl team combat but all games are the same.  You gotta go through some stupid tutorial mission (takes us like 5wks to get all of us through the tutorial mission) and then once you get through that all the FPS games are basically the same.  There's a marketplace, upgrade market, weapons market, etc.  This is useless for the weekend warrior types like us.  We're all working 50+ hours a week and many have kids, we don't have time to make each game a lifestyle.  Plus the games are all way too complex.  They have like 37 different weapons combinations and upgrades, they make FFVII seem like child's play.  So usually we just punt and end up playing rocket league.

Speaking of FFVII, that's my favorite console game of all time and I'm was happily surprised this week to see there's a remake.  I have hip surgery coming up as soon as elective surgeries start happening again....I know what I'll be doing.
Team Fortress 2 might be up your alley, then.  Sure, there are lots of alternative weapons, but Valve did a fantastic job of balancing them so that you'll be fine with the defaults (plus, you'll eventually collect all the other weapons via random crates anyway).

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1486 on: April 17, 2020, 04:12:30 PM »

Team Fortress 2 might be up your alley, then.  Sure, there are lots of alternative weapons, but Valve did a fantastic job of balancing them so that you'll be fine with the defaults (plus, you'll eventually collect all the other weapons via random crates anyway).
TF2 is great!  I haven't played it in years but it was fun whether you were good at it or not (at least for me).

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1487 on: April 17, 2020, 06:30:05 PM »
I'm a little reluctant to play TLOU because I'm worried it will be a few steps back from Uncharted 4,

It was pretty dull for me, having played it a few months ago. I grow more and more tired of the "on rails" games. I want to explore and have freedom of movement. Although, I am still enjoying God of War (2018?). It is on rails, but the combat kicks ass, so that saves it.

Is it on rails like Uncharted is on rails? I don't mind that if it's done well. I like the idea of open world games, but I've never played one that held my attention for more than 10ish hours, except for Breath of the Wild.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1488 on: April 18, 2020, 09:23:04 AM »

Is it on rails like Uncharted is on rails? I don't mind that if it's done well. I like the idea of open world games, but I've never played one that held my attention for more than 10ish hours, except for Breath of the Wild.

TLOU is much more complex of a game than Uncharted.  I loved it.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1489 on: April 20, 2020, 11:08:04 AM »
Uncharted 4 is free on PS+ starting sometime today. I've been playing through the earlier games and they are fun in small doses.

I changed my mind lol. These games suck.

Oh I think 3 is probably my least favorite.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1490 on: April 20, 2020, 12:38:13 PM »
Uncharted 4 is free on PS+ starting sometime today. I've been playing through the earlier games and they are fun in small doses.

I changed my mind lol. These games suck.

LOL! Can't help but wonder what changed your mind? Accidentally take a large dose?

Maybe! I was really enjoying Uncharted 3 up until about halfway through. The games just aren’t for me. They seem to drag on and on. I’m finding the story and combat tedious and frustrating (are those the same thing?). Beautiful games, great animation and voice acting, but they should be 4 hours long, tops.

OK so I know I must sound like the biggest hypocrite, but I played the first 4 or 5 chapters of Uncharted 4 late last night and I absolutely adore it so far.

Relative to the other games in the series, all the pieces of this one seem to fit together in a much more harmonious way. It's strange, but I really really love how the UI (e.g., prompts and hints) has been redesigned to be subtle and subdued, which really matches the pace and tone of the narrative. I love that I've only had to use guns maybe twice in 3 or 4 hours. And when I do, enemies actually react when they get shot and 2 or 3 bullets actually kill them (I am playing on the easiest mode with all the assists turned on--sue me). I was frequently frustrated by the way enemies soaked up bullets in the other games without ever breaking stride.

I love that (so far) the gameplay sheds many of the Uncharted cliches (break into a hidden temple, solve an elaborate non-sensical puzzle that no one could have ever created, find a thing, realize the bad guys had been following me the whole time, hand over the thing at gun point (despite having been shot 100 times already), rinse and repeat ad nauseam). This game actually seems to playfully poke fun at some of the cliches. For example, I got really tired of the thing where, when climbing, a piece of the geometry would break and Drake would almost fall but always recover. I guess it was neat at first, but it became super annoying because there was no actual consequence besides making my climb take longer. But last night, a piece of the wall I was climbing broke and I did fall (it was part of the narrative as a cutscene was triggered). I was like...fucking finally!

And I like that I haven't visited any temples or mystical ruins yet. Save that shit for the finale so that 1) it actually has weight and 2) doesn't detract from and clash with the otherwise very grounded world that's been built. And I've been so impressed by the visuals and environments and characters. My only complaints so far are that the brawling is a little too video game-y (I shouldn't have to wail on a dude a half dozen times for him to go down and shouldn't be clearing a room of 10+ dudes) and I guess that the scuba diving was kinda unrealistic. I'm worried things are going to change on a dime and the game is going to revert to "video games must have non-stop action and shooting and elaborate puzzles" but so far I am loving how restrained and carefully crafted this game is.

I actually looked up the directors of all the games and it seems like some of the key people on Uncharted 1 - 3 were not on 4, which probably helps to explain the changes. The main guy on 4 seems to have left the company unfortunately, but I'm excited to try his other recent game The Last of Us, which I've had download for like 2 years but never booted up.

Last of Us is amazing but I know lots of people that dont like it. One of the other games I bought physically for PS3 and PS4, beat it a few times and the dlc is good

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1491 on: April 20, 2020, 12:40:42 PM »
So far its been more Divinity OS 2 and Baldurs Gate EE on PC

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1492 on: April 22, 2020, 06:38:10 AM »
I loved almost everything about Final Fantasy 7 Remake except for these spoilers.

Spoiler: show

1. They showed waaaaay too much Sephiroth. The original was perfect with the slow build. This one ends with a boss battle with him, even with his One Wing Angel music playing.
2. Barrett gets killed by Sephiroth in a similar way that Aerith dies in the original game and the "Whispers" resuscitate him.
3. That ending was terrible with defeating "Fate" or whatever. Why make HUGE changes to the story like that? Alternate universe?
4. Zack is alive? Biggs is alive suddenly?
5. Does this mean that Aerith doesn`t die later?

I am trying to be optimistic and hope this is just Square-Enix`s way of creating more spinoffs set in FF7`s world or something with an alternate reality in the same vein as the 2009 Startrek reboot. I also hope that all of these things are not mentioned or  I hope forgotten about in the future episodes. One youtuber said it best, "I waited 15 years for a remake! Instead, I got a reboot!"

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1493 on: April 23, 2020, 02:37:05 AM »
I loved almost everything about Final Fantasy 7 Remake except for these spoilers.

Same pretty much. Something nobody asked for. We'll see.

The hype is pretty big at the moment but... I think once it dies down it's not *that* memorable a game actually. There really is only a few hours of truly good content, though the combat is good etc etc.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1494 on: April 23, 2020, 05:01:20 AM »
One youtuber said it best, "I waited 15 years for a remake! Instead, I got a reboot!"

I hate that too. Especially since FF VII is judged as the best game of the series, any changes should be really really thought out.

Or just don't call it a remake, if it isn't one. I have no problems if I am told right at the start "it's similar, but not the same. It's a different game inspired by FF VII"
or whatever. Just tell the truth upfront.

Mount&Blade II is probably more a remake lol And the creators (so far) did it right - leave all the bits in that people like and improve those that profit from improving.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1495 on: April 23, 2020, 11:12:51 AM »
One youtuber said it best, "I waited 15 years for a remake! Instead, I got a reboot!"

I hate that too. Especially since FF VII is judged as the best game of the series despite the fact that it is clearly inferior to FF6, any changes should be really really thought out.

Or just don't call it a remake, if it isn't one. I have no problems if I am told right at the start "it's similar, but not the same. It's a different game inspired by FF VII"
or whatever. Just tell the truth upfront.

Mount&Blade II is probably more a remake lol And the creators (so far) did it right - leave all the bits in that people like and improve those that profit from improving.

FTFY ;)

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1496 on: April 29, 2020, 01:01:23 AM »
I bought a year of PSNow at $44.99. It was $99.99 a year before and got slashed to $59.99. They have or had another 25% off sale that I jumped on last week. I have had it before and games streamed well for me, but I couldn`t justify the before prices. So, I canceled. However, with the addition of PS4 games and those games being downloadable, it was a good deal. I am looking forward to playing Fallout: New Vegas.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1497 on: April 29, 2020, 04:15:27 AM »
Anyone has recommendations for a first person "medieval" action RPG? Something where you can swing swords around and drop hammer on enemies. But not with too much role play or riddles.
A mix of Diablo and the battle part of Mount&Blade.
(PC <25€)

TOTAL WAR: SHOGUN II is currently FREE on Steam!

If you like strategy games, battles with thousands of troops or Japan, get it now ;)

Shogun II is already a bit older, but still plays nicely. The only drawback is that because of the scenario there are only 2 playstyles you can do and everyone has nearly the same units. (if you play, hint: armor upgrades!)

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1498 on: April 29, 2020, 08:52:55 PM »
Final Fantasy VII Remake: I haven't played this game, but I've read some of the press and some impressions on forums (including this thread), which have generally been pretty positive, but then I watch videos of the game and it seems...laughable and cringe worthy? I'm talking about the story bits/dialogue/acting here. My (completely earnest) question: Is this intentional? Is it some kind of anime or JRPG thing to have unnatural dialogue and awkward interaction between characters? It's hard to imagine, given the resources and hype behind this game, that they couldn't have pulled off something more natural if they wanted. I guess I don't understand how the marquee game in the marquee franchise of a genre that seemingly emphasizes story so heavily (and has a long history of doing so) can do such a poor a job at the story bits.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1499 on: April 29, 2020, 09:04:43 PM »
Anyone has recommendations for a first person "medieval" action RPG? Something where you can swing swords around and drop hammer on enemies. But not with too much role play or riddles.
https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/skyrim
https://www.kingdomcomerpg.com