Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781461 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1350 on: October 28, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »
I'm still playing Skyrim after like 4 years. I grow bored with it, or I get busy and put it down, but I always go back and it's an awesome experience to replay it.  I've lost track of how many hours I've sunken into this game.  Probably a couple thousand or more over like 50 characters. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1351 on: October 28, 2019, 07:29:38 PM »
So it turns out that the controller must both be plugged into the console, and the console must be powered on, in order for it to charge. (ps3)

In happy news, I'm now 67% complete in LOTR Lego. Probably won't get to 100%, I'll get bored with the side quests eventually. But still having fun right now.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1352 on: October 29, 2019, 07:37:03 AM »
So it turns out that the controller must both be plugged into the console, and the console must be powered on, in order for it to charge. (ps3)

That is a nice improvement in the PS4, being able to charge in Rest Mode.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1353 on: November 25, 2019, 11:53:03 AM »
Nice deals on the PS store right now y'all. Picked up God of War, The Last of Us - Remastered, and the Res Evil 2 remake for $40 total. GoW was $10!

Recently completed The Messenger and LOVED it. Fantastic retro, metroid-vania platformer. It resulted in me picking Axiom Verge back up with renewed gusto.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1354 on: December 02, 2019, 10:49:35 AM »
Reinstalled Baldur's Gate 2 over the holiday weekend and it's still really fun. I had installed it on my way-overpowered gaming rig and then came to the realization that it's probably way more energy efficient and mustachian to run it on my laptop. Almost 20 years later both the UI and 2nd Edition D&D rules are now a bit clunky, but the core game is still a blast.  I'm cautiously optimistic about BG3, whenever that comes out!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1355 on: December 07, 2019, 09:15:15 PM »
I finished Lord of the Rings Lego a few weeks ago, and switched to Star Wars Lego. There's 2 of those, still on the first one.

Waiting in the wings after the Star Wars games is Harry Potter Lego. And I suspect I'm getting Hobbit Lego for Christmas.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1356 on: December 08, 2019, 02:40:47 AM »
I'm still playing Skyrim after like 4 years. I grow bored with it, or I get busy and put it down, but I always go back and it's an awesome experience to replay it.  I've lost track of how many hours I've sunken into this game.  Probably a couple thousand or more over like 50 characters.

I'm the same with Skyrim.  Spent a lot of time on that one and still play occasionally. 

My other games of interest are: Splinter Cell Blacklist, Shadow of Mordor, Shadow of War, Batman Arkham Asylum and City.

I tend to be very monogamous with games and have a tough time getting into new ones.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1357 on: December 10, 2019, 09:11:59 AM »
I've started X-Wing Alliance again - I'm not sure how far I got last time, but I'm nearly certain I never completed it.  It's shockingly entertaining for a 20yo game!

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1358 on: December 10, 2019, 12:06:48 PM »
I'm now currently working my way through the Zelda series, and am on to Twilight Princess (game cube version). So far, the biggest challenge is dealing with the camera controls that seem to be much degraded relative to Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.
What are you playing on that can play games from NES, Super NES, 64, and Cube?
I was using an HP Probook 6465, but it started lagging quite bad on Wind Waker, so I upgraded to a Lenovo W530 turbos up to 3.7 Ghz. Brute processor speed is key in emulation, so if I want to go much further (Skyward Sword?) I'll probably be stuck on my water-cooled 4.5 Ghz home system.

I'm now onto Skyward Sword, and the Lenovo W530 is handling it like a champ. I play these games on my commuter train ride home, and getting the WiiMote to be functional has been a challenge since I'm only 6-12 inches from the screen and IR bars. Using two IR bars, and attaching a fisheye lens to the IR sensor on the WiiMote, the motion control is decent, but not great.

So far, I haven't hit any of my fellow commuters, but there was one time during a boss battle where a wall got hit and the fisheye lens on the WiiMote went flying down the aisle.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1359 on: December 11, 2019, 09:55:17 AM »
I'm now currently working my way through the Zelda series, and am on to Twilight Princess (game cube version). So far, the biggest challenge is dealing with the camera controls that seem to be much degraded relative to Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.
What are you playing on that can play games from NES, Super NES, 64, and Cube?
I was using an HP Probook 6465, but it started lagging quite bad on Wind Waker, so I upgraded to a Lenovo W530 turbos up to 3.7 Ghz. Brute processor speed is key in emulation, so if I want to go much further (Skyward Sword?) I'll probably be stuck on my water-cooled 4.5 Ghz home system.

I'm now onto Skyward Sword, and the Lenovo W530 is handling it like a champ. I play these games on my commuter train ride home, and getting the WiiMote to be functional has been a challenge since I'm only 6-12 inches from the screen and IR bars. Using two IR bars, and attaching a fisheye lens to the IR sensor on the WiiMote, the motion control is decent, but not great.

So far, I haven't hit any of my fellow commuters, but there was one time during a boss battle where a wall got hit and the fisheye lens on the WiiMote went flying down the aisle.

My kid adores Skyward Sword, but really just wants me to play it.  I've played through it 5+ times now and really want to move on to Twilight Princess.  Or BOTW, which he won't give up the Switch long enough for me to play.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1360 on: December 11, 2019, 10:04:54 PM »
My kid is into the Switch and we're going to have 21 very long hours to kill on a train in a few weeks.  Besides Mario Maker 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3, which he's already asked for, does anyone have any recommendations to keep a 6 year-old occupied?

I think Link's Awakening would be fit for a 6 year old. Its a remake of a 1993 Game Boy game. And I bet you would enjoy it too.

He already has that one.  Plus Breath of the Wild.  We are HUGE Link fans around here.  He's actually going as Link for Halloween for the third time in four years.

A bit late but Rayman Origins was good. We played the libaray's copy for a while before catching it on sale. You will have to ignore the sometimes skimpy outfits of your female companion.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1361 on: December 12, 2019, 05:34:44 AM »
My SO was sick last weekend and I was bored, so I broke spendypants and picked up Outer Worlds for PC. Didn't even get it on sale :*( 

I've barely started it, but so far I'm enjoying the old Fallout feel without the depressingly post-apocalyptic setting (though the Halcyon colony is clearly no utopia!).  Well worth a look if/when it goes on sale again, or next year when the GOTY edition is available for half the price...

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1362 on: December 12, 2019, 10:39:21 AM »
My SO was sick last weekend and I was bored, so I broke spendypants and picked up Outer Worlds for PC. Didn't even get it on sale :*( 

I've barely started it, but so far I'm enjoying the old Fallout feel without the depressingly post-apocalyptic setting (though the Halcyon colony is clearly no utopia!).  Well worth a look if/when it goes on sale again, or next year when the GOTY edition is available for half the price...

Yeah, I'll probably pick it up once I can find it for $15 or so, so a bit of a wait. 

Currently playing a bit of Elder Scrolls Online.  I played it a while back on Xbox (before any expansions), but lost interest eventually as my friends weren't sticking with it.  Picked it up during a BF sale to give it another go on PC with the numerous expansions and new character class added in.  Finding it amusing enough, mostly playing it solo as a pseudo-Skyrim game, but don't currently have the time to really give it a fair shake with dungeon crawling and such.  Trying to avoid other holiday sale purchases due to game backlog.  We'll see.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1363 on: December 19, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »
What is on everyone's radar for the grand daddy Steam sale? I picked up so many great and discounted titles lately - and I have such a huge backlog - that I am wanting nothing! I might pick up Bloodstained or RDR2 if the price is right.

I have a little nag in my head telling me to buy a Nintendo Switch, but it's too much of an indulgence for this Mustachian at the moment. Also, my wife might kill me. But man I badly want to play Mario Odyssey, Zelda BOTW, and Mario Maker 2.  I also think Mario Party would be a hoot when friends come over. I have fond memories of playing the first Mario Party in college. We had a blast with that game, second only to Goldeneye.

I had mentioned I got The Last of Us for $6. I am not hooked yet and I do not know if I will finish it. Being more of a Dark Souls guy, I don't love these extremely linear, story-heavy games.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1364 on: December 19, 2019, 02:47:25 PM »
I picked up The Last of Us (ps4 remaster) again - it has been quite a long time. My god this game is good...

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1365 on: December 20, 2019, 02:41:54 AM »
What is on everyone's radar for the grand daddy Steam sale? I picked up so many great and discounted titles lately - and I have such a huge backlog - that I am wanting nothing! I might pick up Bloodstained or RDR2 if the price is right.

I have a little nag in my head telling me to buy a Nintendo Switch, but it's too much of an indulgence for this Mustachian at the moment. Also, my wife might kill me. But man I badly want to play Mario Odyssey, Zelda BOTW, and Mario Maker 2.  I also think Mario Party would be a hoot when friends come over. I have fond memories of playing the first Mario Party in college. We had a blast with that game, second only to Goldeneye.

I had mentioned I got The Last of Us for $6. I am not hooked yet and I do not know if I will finish it. Being more of a Dark Souls guy, I don't love these extremely linear, story-heavy games.

Considering Octopath Traveler. 40% off... still $50 Canadian, but...

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1366 on: December 20, 2019, 06:29:46 AM »

Yeah, I'll probably pick it up once I can find it for $15 or so, so a bit of a wait. 

Currently playing a bit of Elder Scrolls Online.  I played it a while back on Xbox (before any expansions), but lost interest eventually as my friends weren't sticking with it.  Picked it up during a BF sale to give it another go on PC with the numerous expansions and new character class added in.  Finding it amusing enough, mostly playing it solo as a pseudo-Skyrim game, but don't currently have the time to really give it a fair shake with dungeon crawling and such.  Trying to avoid other holiday sale purchases due to game backlog.  We'll see.
Big fan of Obsidian so I'm super excited for Outer Worlds but can't justify buying it full price since I have a big backlog of games to get through first. I'm actually playing through Tyranny right now after having enjoyed Pillars of Eternity, and will probably get to Pillars of Eternity II soon!

That's probably smart, I don't play many games, but have always loved all the Fallouts so this is the first game i'm playing since I played Fallout 76, which was a bit of a dog.

I'm quite enjoying TOW so far, but I do recommend waiting if you can. It's not as "big" as the Fallout or Skyrim worlds, and from what I'm reading online, the main story is relatively short. Generally it feels like a good start for a new RPG franchise setting & engine, but not as fully fleshed out as the well established franchises in terms of content or play mechanics details.

It *does* have a VATS-like "time dilation" mode, which is my favorite feature from the Fallout series --allows my clumsy player hands to perform the moves that my badass RP character should be capable of!

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1367 on: December 21, 2019, 03:55:25 AM »
Just a heads up.

Redbox isn't renting games anymore. They're selling off inventory pretty cheap. You have to go to boxes though (not sold on line)

I got Jedi Fallen Order ($25) and Borderlands 3 ($17). I'll try to play them and flip them while their retail price is still fairly high.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1368 on: December 21, 2019, 04:50:58 PM »
Failed (unsurprisingly) in my goal to avoid any more purchases this holiday season.  I saw Sekiro on Xbox for $20 and had to jump on it.  I'm a long-time Dark Souls fan but was willing to wait on Sekiro due to lack of multiplayer. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1369 on: December 21, 2019, 04:53:56 PM »
Just a heads up.

Redbox isn't renting games anymore. They're selling off inventory pretty cheap. You have to go to boxes though (not sold on line)

I got Jedi Fallen Order ($25) and Borderlands 3 ($17). I'll try to play them and flip them while their retail price is still fairly high.

Oh wow, that's a great deal! I'll have to look around...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1370 on: December 21, 2019, 05:50:04 PM »
Steam is having a holiday sale. My son came to me last night asking to buy a game for $1. I went to his profile and sure enough the game he wanted is on sale 90% off.  A couple of the games I've had some interest in are advertised 50% and 75% off until 2 January.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1371 on: December 25, 2019, 07:11:09 PM »
My kiddo got Luigi's Mansion 3 fo xmas, so I've been playing around with it.  A coworker brought in his Oculus Rift right before xmas and it's pretty cool.  Not quite cool enough to justify it's price tag, but maybe in a couple of months I can pick up one cheaper.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1372 on: December 26, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »
My 8 year-old made is first big purchase around Black Friday, after saving most of the year. He bought the Nintendo Switch.

I picked up Zelda: Breath of the Wild when it was $30 on BF, and have had a blast so far. I haven't played many video games the last few years due to time constraints, and I've probably already played this game too much, according to my wife.

For Christmas, we got my son Mario Kart 8 for the Switch, so we had some fun with that last night. I kicked his ass! There will probably be a lot of bonding time with that over the next few months.
I also got him Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle for $15, but we haven't had a chance to play that.

I don't for see needing to buy another game for quite some time.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1373 on: December 31, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
Sorry if I missed it, but is anyone considering playing Amazon's New World game that comes out in May 2020?

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1374 on: January 02, 2020, 07:22:32 AM »
Sorry if I missed it, but is anyone considering playing Amazon's New World game that comes out in May 2020?

Your post is the first I have heard of it. Not a ton of info on Amazon about it. I will wait until about July and see what the gaming community has to say about it.

I took Microsoft up on their deal to get 3 months of online gaming for $1. I downloaded Forza Horizon 4 and it is definitely the best racing game I have played. It is just fun for the sake of being fun. I set a reminder on my phone to cancel before they charge the $14 to renew for month 4. :)

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1375 on: January 02, 2020, 07:45:56 AM »
Also wanted to add: New World might be in trouble if it ends up releasing around the same time as Diablo IV. I am absolutely pumped for Diablo IV and I am glad to see the healthy competition between its developers and the folks behind Path of Exile II.

Nioh II is releasing soon as well. There goes another 160 hours of my life. 

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1376 on: January 02, 2020, 08:32:31 AM »
Got the Game Pass and now competing for time on the machine against Mr Vashy (he plays Sniper Elite 4 and I just tackled the Master Chief Collection, having missed the Halo craze entirely until now).

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1377 on: January 02, 2020, 11:26:51 AM »
Got the Game Pass and now competing for time on the machine against Mr Vashy (he plays Sniper Elite 4 and I just tackled the Master Chief Collection, having missed the Halo craze entirely until now).

How's Halo? I missed the craze completely as well. The games looked perhaps a little too old to capture my attention at the moment. Most video games simply do not age well. There is so much innovation year over year.

There is so much content on the Game Pass that there is no possible way I can enjoy it all in my 3 month window. But $15 a month for the PC subscription is simply too expensive. I do not spend $180/yr buying all the Steam games I want.

Up until today I was tempted to splurge on a year of Playstation Plus membership at 1/3 the price of Game Pass. I looked up the free games this month: The Nathan Drake Collection and Goat Simulator. You're gonna have to do better than that, Playstation. I will check back in February.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1378 on: January 02, 2020, 12:18:48 PM »
Also wanted to add: New World might be in trouble if it ends up releasing around the same time as Diablo IV. I am absolutely pumped for Diablo IV and I am glad to see the healthy competition between its developers and the folks behind Path of Exile II.

Nioh II is releasing soon as well. There goes another 160 hours of my life.

Do you think Diablo IV will actually be released this year?  Blizzard isn't actually known for their release timeliness.  I have vivid memories about getting excited for Diablo 2, reading everything I could, trying to plan builds out...and then waiting 2 more years past the initial release date to finally play. 

Googling...looks like my memory was correct.  Initial announced release date was 1Q 1998; final release date was June 2000.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1379 on: January 02, 2020, 12:23:44 PM »

Do you think Diablo IV will actually be released this year? 

May not be. Google points to "some time in 2020," but certainly no promises. However, I bet they are trying to beat Path of Exile II to market.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1380 on: January 02, 2020, 12:36:56 PM »
KSP Kerbal Space Program.

I'm finding it difficult to believe that only I and @zolotiyeruki are the only one's playing.  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/mustachian-video-gamers-what-are-you-playing/msg2394734/#msg2394734
I searched off-topic for Kerbal and KSP.

There is even several XKCD on it.
 https://xkcd.com/1356/  Orbital Mechanics   
https://xkcd.com/2204/ KSP 2 
https://xkcd.com/1244/ Six Words (It works in Kerbal Space Program)
https://xkcd.com/1106/ Add

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1381 on: January 03, 2020, 05:19:19 AM »
How's Halo? I missed the craze completely as well. The games looked perhaps a little too old to capture my attention at the moment. Most video games simply do not age well. There is so much innovation year over year.

There is so much content on the Game Pass that there is no possible way I can enjoy it all in my 3 month window. But $15 a month for the PC subscription is simply too expensive. I do not spend $180/yr buying all the Steam games I want.

Up until today I was tempted to splurge on a year of Playstation Plus membership at 1/3 the price of Game Pass. I looked up the free games this month: The Nathan Drake Collection and Goat Simulator. You're gonna have to do better than that, Playstation. I will check back in February.

I like Halo though it has some weaknesses - one is that the signposting ("where do I have to go next?") is a lot weaker than in more modern games, and some levels can feel fairly repetitive. As the part I'm playing is re-mastered, it does look good and the experience is pretty smooth. I like it if all I want to do is play a shooter to relax, and I do appreciate the ability to co-op with my friends.

And agreed - Game Pass is definitely more expensive than Steam (with its insane sales), but works pretty well for a more casual gamer like me. I play in fits and starts, ie for a week or three and then I do something else; meanwhile, I'm not too fussed about getting the current hot game right after release. Right now, the main advantage I could see is the same as Netflix/Prime - we can throw out a lot of DVDs and disks of games you "might" want to play again and really only keep the favourites. (I'm excluding Cyberpunk 2020 because I want that game so very badly and the release is conveniently between Mr Vashy's and my birthday.)

With all the big dogs now launching their own subscriptions, I'd expect there will be more competition between Stadia, PlayStation, Game Pass and maybe even Steam, so good times.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1382 on: January 03, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »
I like Halo though it has some weaknesses - one is that the signposting ("where do I have to go next?") is a lot weaker than in more modern games

One could argue for that being a positive. A lot of modern games have way too much hand holding.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1383 on: January 03, 2020, 08:20:42 AM »
I like Halo though it has some weaknesses - one is that the signposting ("where do I have to go next?") is a lot weaker than in more modern games

One could argue for that being a positive. A lot of modern games have way too much hand holding.

I fired up Jedi Knight II: Outcast last night and was amazed at how much less hand-holding there was vs modern games (what I've become accustomed to).  No intro / tutorial, no guidance on how to solve problems or where to go...just have to figure it out.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1384 on: January 03, 2020, 08:30:12 AM »

Absolutely. I just got lost in levels a few times...

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1385 on: January 03, 2020, 09:00:25 AM »

Absolutely. I just got lost in levels a few times...

I'll agree that the level 343 Guilty Spark in the first game was a navigating nightmare. Every room looks nearly identical and there are only a few places to get back up to the upper level if you fall down. And it's the first time in the game you don't have Cortana to help guide you. Plus where it's implied you are suppose to go (back to the elevator where you entered) is actually wrong. I've played that level maybe a dozen times and I still get lost. I can think of a few other places in levels that were confusing but none nearly as bad as that one.

For a good modern example of minimum directions/hand holding I'd point to Subnautica.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1386 on: January 03, 2020, 01:29:36 PM »

Man, I dunno. Being lost in a game and not knowing where I am supposed to go next is one of my least favorites things. Being lost, in real life and in games, is very unpleasant and stressful. Unless the game is all about the magic of discovery. Then I am all for it. But if it is mission based? Just tell me exactly where I need to go.

SkillUp called Outer Wilds (WILDS, not Worlds) the game of the year. Apparently some critics are saying it is the best game they have ever played. $25 on Epic. Tempting.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1387 on: January 03, 2020, 03:18:48 PM »
I'll agree that the level 343 Guilty Spark in the first game was a navigating nightmare. Every room looks nearly identical and there are only a few places to get back up to the upper level if you fall down. And it's the first time in the game you don't have Cortana to help guide you. Plus where it's implied you are suppose to go (back to the elevator where you entered) is actually wrong. I've played that level maybe a dozen times and I still get lost. I can think of a few other places in levels that were confusing but none nearly as bad as that one.

I think that was likely it - where you pass through the exact same structure 5-6 times, though it felt like more... I'm now lost again in one of the swamp levels, but Mr Vashy currently has the Xbox so I won't get back into it until tomorrow...

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1388 on: January 03, 2020, 03:21:02 PM »
Man, I dunno. Being lost in a game and not knowing where I am supposed to go next is one of my least favorites things. Being lost, in real life and in games, is very unpleasant and stressful. Unless the game is all about the magic of discovery. Then I am all for it. But if it is mission based? Just tell me exactly where I need to go.

SkillUp called Outer Wilds (WILDS, not Worlds) the game of the year. Apparently some critics are saying it is the best game they have ever played. $25 on Epic. Tempting.

I'm like that - I like Gears of War because it's very clear what you have to do and it has tons of atmosphere and (mostly) good writing. I also liked The Division (both) for the co-op. Sometimes I want a map or mission statement in Halo just in case.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1389 on: January 03, 2020, 04:46:03 PM »
I`ve been watching The Witcher on Netflix and was inspired to play Witcher 3 again. I`m trying to explore all of the question marks on the maps. I still believe that this is the best game I have ever played.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1390 on: January 03, 2020, 05:42:22 PM »

I think that was likely it - where you pass through the exact same structure 5-6 times, though it felt like more... I'm now lost again in one of the swamp levels, but Mr Vashy currently has the Xbox so I won't get back into it until tomorrow...

That sounds like Assault on the Control Room. The secret to that level is there are arrows on the floor. Follow the arrows and you'll be headed in the right direction. Two Betrayals comes a few levels later and reuses much of the environment from Assault on the Control Room but you go backwards from the arrows. The swamp level is probably 343 Guilty Spark. Once you go inside the building you'll almost start considering making your own map...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1391 on: January 08, 2020, 01:25:34 PM »
I recently got back into warlight.  It's a turn based strategy game similar to risk, but it's better.  A lot of elements have been introduced that improve the game play over classic risk.  Things like having fog to obscure parts of the board you aren't in, special cards like emergency blockades, etc.  It's free to play, and it's addictively fun.

I play on warzone.com.  If you search the internet a lot of results will pop up, but I just stick to playing it on warzone.com since I always have played there.  I went through and beat all the levels a couple of years back, and recently went back to it and my progress is gone so I had to start over, even though my account is still intact.  It looks like they have revamped a lot of levels and added new stuff too.  I also play on the app on my phone.

I've beaten 25 of the levels so far, and now I am stuck on "Caesar's challenge".  I think I have about 130 levels left.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1392 on: January 09, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »
Hearts of Iron 4.  My desire for a highly-detailed version of the Civilization series has been answered.  This game is so damn nuanced that after playing it for 50 hours I'm still discovering things I was supposed to be doing earlier in the game that I need to add into my repertoire.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1393 on: January 10, 2020, 09:56:58 AM »
A friend got me started on Elite Dangerous.

Fuck me.....I was up til 3am and now I'm sleepy at work, lol.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1394 on: January 10, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »
Attn: Switch Owners

Is the Switch worth it for the price? As a softcore Mustachian I just can NOT get over the price of entry on the console, let alone the requirement to buy external storage and the fact that the games NEVER drop in price (nor does the console). I check on Craigslist from time to time and Switches are regularly listed used at about 95% full retail. As a huge fan of video games I hate being locked out of Mario's universe.

I only wish Nintendo would have come out with a Switch that is nothing but a little box with a game cartridge slot, HDMI out, and a power cord. They could charge $150 for it, then absolutely clean up on game sales. Right?

Edit to add: I mean that's what the original NES was (sans the HDMI, which didn't exist) and it was maybe the most successful system of all time. More of that please.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 01:15:23 PM by eljefe-speaks »

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1395 on: January 10, 2020, 01:13:18 PM »

I am too scared to play it! I watched some video review where a guy said it takes hours of patience and practice just to learn to launch your ship. Is it really that complicated?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1396 on: January 10, 2020, 01:17:35 PM »

I am too scared to play it! I watched some video review where a guy said it takes hours of patience and practice just to learn to launch your ship. Is it really that complicated?

No it's not - the ship you start with has auto launch and auto dock modules. If you want to do it manually it's tricky, but you can let it fly itself for that part.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1397 on: January 10, 2020, 05:34:45 PM »

No it's not - the ship you start with has auto launch and auto dock modules. If you want to do it manually it's tricky, but you can let it fly itself for that part.

It used to be that way (it was back when I played years ago).  They've made it more user-friendly over the years; the review could be out-of-date.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1398 on: January 11, 2020, 04:36:06 PM »

Is the Switch worth it for the price? As a softcore Mustachian I just can NOT get over the price of entry on the console, let alone the requirement to buy external storage and the fact that the games NEVER drop in price (nor does the console). I check on Craigslist from time to time and Switches are regularly listed used at about 95% full retail. As a huge fan of video games I hate being locked out of Mario's universe.

I only wish Nintendo would have come out with a Switch that is nothing but a little box with a game cartridge slot, HDMI out, and a power cord. They could charge $150 for it, then absolutely clean up on game sales. Right?

Edit to add: I mean that's what the original NES was (sans the HDMI, which didn't exist) and it was maybe the most successful system of all time. More of that please.

Switch games are often on sale on the eShop. There's a nice sale going on right now. I'm all digital at this point and find there is more than enough space on the console, but I tend to archive games once I've played them to free up space.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1399 on: January 12, 2020, 06:45:49 AM »

Is the Switch worth it for the price?

IMHO, no. I bought one for my son(and maybe me :) ), and it wasn`t the price of the console that bugged me. What bugged me was the price of the games. A port of a game that came out two years on PS4 and Xbox can be $60 in some cases, while said game is $10-$20 on the other consoles. Usually these older games ported to the switch are downgraded versions as well. The only saving point is the handheld aspect. I would love to play Witcher 3, Dark Souls, etc. handheld, but I already own superior versions of them and wouldn`t want to pay more than $20 on the Switch if I was to double-dip. Oh, and when Nintendo does have sales they are usually not a very good deal compared to Sony, Microsoft, or PC. I was tempted to buy Octopath Traveller, but now it is on Steam at a much cheaper price than the Switch.