Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781555 times)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1200 on: January 27, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »
AFAIK there is no link between NNK 1 and 2.

FFXV I have really mixed feelings on in a lot of ways, it had so much potential. Still very good IMHO. I bought Final Fantasy 0 but couldn't get into that at all.

I rebought Dragon Age Inquisition (had originally played it on Xbox 360), but just didn't get into it. I think I will get an SSD at some point to speed up the PS4.

I actually played through a few games on the X360. Everyone panned the Game of Thrones game but I enjoyed that quite a lot.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1201 on: January 27, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
Red Dead Redemption 2

I spent the first month I had it just hunting and doing hunting or horse related challenges, like kill a cougar with a bow, get from town X to town Y in 5 minutes, etc. I did very little of the main quest. I really enjoy how detailed the hunting experience is.

With a lot of that done I've started doing the main quest. Wow, this game is violent! It's a Rockstar game so I should expect it, but I've spent so much time doing side activities I didn't realize how violent the core game is.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1202 on: January 29, 2019, 02:33:10 PM »
Is anyone else hype for KH3 release today?

I grew up on Kingdom Hearts, and for a while thought I was immune from the excitement of the new game dropping, but I was totally in denial.

Other games I'm currently working through:  Nier: Automata, Dishonored, KH: Birth by Sleep

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1203 on: February 03, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »
I'm mostly a retro gamer.  That hobby isn't as cheap as it used to be but I've been finding good value in systems that are sort of middle aged.  They're old but not quite or just barely considered "retro."

The Switch online ($10 per year) includes a slowly expanding selection of original NES games.  I haven't delved too far in (there is just so much game to play, and limited time even just working 6 days a month!) but I just played through the original Metroid for the first time ever.  I can see why I was into that NES back when it first came out, for all I've been spoiled by modern graphics, that was still really fun.  And {spoiler alert}
Spoiler: show
it turns out that Samus is actually female!!

What's the most inexpensive way you've found to get good games for it if you don't have lots of friends with that system?

Depends what you consider "good".  The big name Nintendo made games are hard to find at any significant discount, but the most popular game in the world right now (Fortnite) is free, and the game I put the most time into the past several weeks (Fallout Shelter) also free.  Also really enjoyed / enjoying a number of indy games, Overcooked and Night in the Woods with my wife, Octodad, Violett, Ultimate Chicken Horse, all in the $10-20 range

My big name brand games either came with the system (I got it on Craigslist as a bundle from a college student who pre-ordered and then didn't have time to play) or I've gotten as gifts

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:32:59 AM by Bakari »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1204 on: February 16, 2019, 05:37:35 PM »
Oh no... you guys...

I've gone back down the rabbit hole.

Started a new League of Legends account. Lost an entire day today to Summoner's Rift. Add me if you guys play!

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1205 on: February 18, 2019, 01:01:00 AM »
Finished Steep. Really enjoyed it but was not good enough to get all gold medals for the events (102/118 ain't too bad).

This months freebie PS4 games: Hitman - really good for one play through but wouldn't go through again. For Honor - I don't do multiplayer so tried the single player campaign and got 2/3 of the way through before rage quitting about how stupid and repetitive the fight controls were.

I'm also working my way through the Uncharted 1/2/3 remastered collection, having finished the first two and am now on the third. Awesome games and I can't believe how good a game Uncharted 1 was given that it is over 9 years since it was made.

All this playing lately took its toll on my original PS4 controller. Despite two attempts at repair surgery it seems the up/down potentiometer is worn beyond revival and started to affect game control so much that I had to retire it. Only $60 for a new one and so many hours pleasure anticipated for it, so it was a no brainer good buy to get a new replacement.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1206 on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:00 AM »
I got Fallout 76 on a half-price sale and have been playing it for around 2 weeks. I love the resource gathering, as well as the mission aspect of the game.

I have been playing FO76 too.  There has been a lot of 'internet hate' out there regarding the game.  However, I really like it.  I don't play it as a multiplayer game though.  I play it solo exactly like I play Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim, etc....   If you like huge maps, exploring, etc... I'd recommend it.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1207 on: February 22, 2019, 11:39:24 PM »
I've been really enjoying playing Apex Legends on the PS4 right now.  It's free, which is my kind of price, and has the sort of short, no commitment gaming that works for me (I've been tinkering away at Skyrim for years, which is all the rpg game I can handle).

It's a lot like Fortnite, without the building thing and with teams of 3 fighting it out on a big map.  It's pretty fun, matches are over in no more than 21 minutes or so (and usually a lot sooner for most of the players).

SansSkill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1208 on: February 23, 2019, 01:52:26 AM »
Been 'wasting' a lot of time on Wargrooves and Into the Breach.
Been dry on an Advance Wars game for over a literal decade so the spiritual successor was much appreciated.
As for Into the Breach the replayability is enormous and I really like the lack of RNG during turns, you can see exactly who is going to do what in what order and you plan insanely elaborate strategies on occasion and I absolutely love it!

Rachel_the_Lark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1209 on: February 23, 2019, 05:10:12 AM »
As for Into the Breach the replayability is enormous and I really like the lack of RNG during turns, you can see exactly who is going to do what in what order and you plan insanely elaborate strategies on occasion and I absolutely love it!

Replayability??? I still can't get past the second island!  But I totally agree that it's a good find.  I'm constantly losing, but can see that it is a direct result of a mistake I've made.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1210 on: February 23, 2019, 06:24:37 PM »
I just picked up a copy of "Crusader Kings 2" and I'm starting to learn how to play it and... Jeez. I feel like I'm back in college except now I'm studying for a degree in Political Science.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1211 on: February 23, 2019, 06:33:11 PM »
I just picked up a copy of "Crusader Kings 2" and I'm starting to learn how to play it and... Jeez. I feel like I'm back in college except now I'm studying for a degree in Political Science.
You will never have free time again. Such a good game.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1212 on: February 23, 2019, 06:42:35 PM »
Main game has been World of Warships. From searching looks like @Sjalabais and @No Name Guy both play too :)

greysolive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1213 on: February 28, 2019, 11:58:49 AM »
I like easy flash games with interesting plot, just to kill time. Right now I play Drakemall game with the element of gamble. It's easy game but entertaining 'coz every payer can win smth cool in this game. I just buy mystery boxes and get one random itemfrom the box I bought. Cool game
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:10:13 AM by greysolive »

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1214 on: March 01, 2019, 07:21:44 AM »
Been playing a whole lot of Kingdom Rush - Vengeance lately. Completed all the maps, working on 3-starring all the levels, challenge modes, and unlocking all the achievements.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1215 on: March 01, 2019, 01:56:30 PM »
Couldn't get in to Witcher 3 for some reason, after a few hours playing.

The reactions to TW3 are odd. I have a friend who did the same as you, but he went back to it later. Now, he loves it. A few hours is not much for a game like that. There is a cave area near the beginning that, imo, is the worst part of the game and many stop playing after that. Mainly, because it is boring and tedious there.

I played it and beat it initially after borrowing it from my friend and thought it was great. Later on I wanted to play it again because of the DLC Hearts of Stone was coming out. After playing it again, I must say that it is now my favorite game of all time, and I am not exaggerating. The writing in the game is so well done. It is crazy. Hearts of Stone DLC has the most incredible writing and story telling of any game I've ever played. The villian is amazing and well played.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1216 on: March 01, 2019, 02:51:40 PM »
I need to try this game again. I played maybe 8 hours over a couple weekends and I didn't ever choose to play it again after the first two sessions, so I uninstalled it three months later.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:07:30 AM by grantmeaname »

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1217 on: March 04, 2019, 02:51:50 PM »

The reactions to TW3 are odd. I have a friend who did the same as you, but he went back to it later. Now, he loves it. A few hours is not much for a game like that. There is a cave area near the beginning that, imo, is the worst part of the game and many stop playing after that. Mainly, because it is boring and tedious there.

I played it and beat it initially after borrowing it from my friend and thought it was great. Later on I wanted to play it again because of the DLC Hearts of Stone was coming out. After playing it again, I must say that it is now my favorite game of all time, and I am not exaggerating. The writing in the game is so well done. It is crazy. Hearts of Stone DLC has the most incredible writing and story telling of any game I've ever played. The villian is amazing and well played.

I had never played a witcher game and it took me a while to get into the fighting mechanics. That and the ps4 load times were brutal so every time I died I had to wait for a minute or two to play again. Was frustrating at first, but not as much od an issue after learning how to fight better

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1218 on: March 08, 2019, 09:07:09 AM »
I'm still chipping away at Skyrim, which one of my kids bought.  They've long since lost interest, but I'm happily exploring the map and battling various monsters while slowly working my way through all the quests.

I could probably just play Skyrim for about 5 years before needing another game, partially because I don't really have a lot of time to play and it is SO very huge.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1219 on: March 08, 2019, 05:24:23 PM »
I'm still chipping away at Skyrim, which one of my kids bought.  They've long since lost interest, but I'm happily exploring the map and battling various monsters while slowly working my way through all the quests.

I could probably just play Skyrim for about 5 years before needing another game, partially because I don't really have a lot of time to play and it is SO very huge.

I really have to give Skyrim a proper chance. The remaster came out at a time when I was playing a couple of other games. I`ll have to get it on PC though. I really enjoy the mod support for many of the games.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1220 on: March 08, 2019, 07:47:41 PM »
I really have to give Skyrim a proper chance. The remaster came out at a time when I was playing a couple of other games. I`ll have to get it on PC though. I really enjoy the mod support for many of the games.

I would suggest doing some research before buying the Remastered version- a decent number of mods don't work with it, and you can get HD texture packs for the non-remastered version that make it almost as good. Granted, it's been awhile since I've checked so more mods might be ported over to the Remastered one, but it's worth looking into what mods you want to use to ensure they're all compatible before buying the Remaster.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1221 on: March 09, 2019, 04:16:52 AM »
Completed Spiderman for PS4 this week, a loaner from my nephew. Beautiful game and complex but rewarding fight system.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1222 on: April 15, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »
I should fess up.  I bought Anthem, for myself and to play with friends.  Only two friends ended up buying it, unfortunately.  The game is much better than the reviews, as I'd say that the core gameplay loop is quite enjoyable and unique, and the reviews were largely on the pre-release version.  They have fixed many of the problems, but the game certainly still needs work and additional carrots to keep people playing. 

Then, I bought Division 2, though I was initially thinking that I wouldn't. 

I've played each game plenty, but that's still two full-priced games in short order, which is usually my yearly allotment.  Generally, I only spring for new games when I anticipate that it will become a regular event with my buddies and/or multiplayer is a key part, but neither has become quite the social phenomenon I've hoped.  There's still time for Division 2 (3 friends have it so far, but haven't played it that often), but we'll see.

Still playing the Division 2, but also picked Dark Souls 3 back up, as I bought the DLC during a recent sale.  Played the heck out of it years ago, and have been waiting for the DLC to become cheaper. 

I do want to play Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice at some point, but I can wait for that to go on sale.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1223 on: April 15, 2019, 05:19:38 PM »
My husband bought Anthem with all intentions to play it, negative press or not. And he mostly enjoyed it. Unfortunately, everyone he plays with avoided it due to the negative hype and are playing Division 2 instead. So he bought that as well. Sometimes you buy things and they don't work out, so you need to replace them. Games are no different.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1224 on: April 15, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »
I bought a PS Vita and made "backups" of all my old psx, psp, snes, game boy (color/advance), sega genesis and ps vita games.  I've been glued to it for two weeks.  Currently working through FF7!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1225 on: April 15, 2019, 08:24:58 PM »
City Skylines!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1226 on: April 16, 2019, 09:15:14 AM »
Such a good game. Totally eats your life though. I wish it was easier to grow cities past the 75k mark...

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1227 on: April 16, 2019, 09:15:57 AM »
I am playing huge quantities of Overwatch lately. Such a fun, intricate game and such a good experience if you play with friends or find good strangers from the random assignments.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1228 on: April 16, 2019, 09:16:52 AM »
Such a good game. Totally eats your life though. I wish it was easier to grow cities past the 75k mark...

Hey that's almost exactly what my city is at right now :-)

Though I have a massive expansion I need to let sit for a while and see what happens.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1229 on: April 17, 2019, 09:26:45 AM »
I am playing huge quantities of Overwatch lately. Such a fun, intricate game and such a good experience if you play with friends or find good strangers from the random assignments.

I freaking love Overwatch.  I have way more hours in it than I should, but it's just so darn fun.  So many ways to play, and Competitive is where it's at.  Love how every hero and strategy has a counter of some sort.

Community isn't bad either.  For every salty, toxic player there are 5 others who are fun and helpful.  Most people will switch heros if you ask nicely (and it's obvious that hero is not working for the current situation/composition).

Lucio or Orisa are my go-tos.  Willing to play most heros though if the team needs it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 09:29:21 AM by dignam »

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1230 on: April 17, 2019, 09:34:58 AM »
I started replaying Bloodborne. I really forgot how great this game is!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1231 on: April 18, 2019, 11:06:01 PM »
City Skylines!

I first learned about that game from this thread. 
My computer of the time was not capable of playing it even at the lowest settings.
I designed a cheap gaming rig on PCPartPicker, but the frugal in me kept me putting it off.  Even after my more-than-ten-year-old laptop finally died, I switched to another laptop I had picked up for free when I was a hauler.  Some two years later, I finally went ahead and built my "super" (by my standards - Core i7, GE force GTX1060) computer out of parts.
I cursed this thread for tempting me to indulge in a almost $1000 computer when my real needs would probably have been met with a $100 computer.
But it is certainly a fun game.  I spent a lot of hours on it, especially in the early days of paternity leave just before and just after my little goober made his first appearance, when there was nothing to do in between fetching things for my wife.
I hope to be able to play again some day, maybe the Witcher 3 too, and Mass Effect 3.  Maybe once he's in school...

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1232 on: April 19, 2019, 04:46:48 PM »

One of the best games ever.  From Software is the best developer out there!

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1233 on: April 19, 2019, 08:15:44 PM »

Yep! Still need to check out Sekiro. Waiting for it to go down to $20 to buy.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1234 on: May 02, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »

I splurged when i saw it for 40 bucks on xbox live. Totes worth it ! I like it more than bloodbourne or dark souls

It's way more fun IMHO to be able to escape and jump around and (try) to live to a fight another day

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1235 on: May 02, 2019, 04:08:34 PM »
Just finished The Surge and COD WW2. The Surge was really hard in places and it took three play throughs to get all achievements but it was a very rewarding game. The graphics in COD WW2 were outstanding and the game play on veteran was much easier than on COD MW3 I played last month. I tried multiplayer on COD WW2 after not having done multiplayer for many years and it still doesn't do anything for me. Give me single player with a great story line instead any day!

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1236 on: May 03, 2019, 06:17:14 PM »

I splurged when i saw it for 40 bucks on xbox live. Totes worth it ! I like it more than bloodbourne or dark souls

It's way more fun IMHO to be able to escape and jump around and (try) to live to a fight another day

I have two drawbacks. 1. You aren`t creating a character of your choice. 2. No leveling.

Yes, I`m still sure that I`ll like(or love) it, but I really love to have at least one of those two things for me to buy right away.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1237 on: May 03, 2019, 06:20:59 PM »
Just finished The Surge and COD WW2. The Surge was really hard in places and it took three play throughs to get all achievements but it was a very rewarding game. The graphics in COD WW2 were outstanding and the game play on veteran was much easier than on COD MW3 I played last month. I tried multiplayer on COD WW2 after not having done multiplayer for many years and it still doesn't do anything for me. Give me single player with a great story line instead any day!

COD has great production values. Multiplayer is what I prefer though. Even though I am not very good. I prefer Battlefield multiplayer because you can still have a bad or mediocre kill/death ratio and still be very helpful to your team and squads. I always preferred a medic class with a single fire rifle. I always do terrible in close range battles but medium distance I am okay, and I enjoy reviving downed teammates and supplying med packs.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #1238 on: May 07, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »

COD has great production values. Multiplayer is what I prefer though. Even though I am not very good. I prefer Battlefield multiplayer because you can still have a bad or mediocre kill/death ratio and still be very helpful to your team and squads. I always preferred a medic class with a single fire rifle. I always do terrible in close range battles but medium distance I am okay, and I enjoy reviving downed teammates and supplying med packs.

I'm a medic main as well when i play battlefield. Everyone wants to have a medic (or more than one) in their squad!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1239 on: May 27, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »
RIME is free in the Epic Games store this week. Fun little puzzle adventure game reminiscent of ICO and The Last Guardian.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1240 on: May 28, 2019, 07:58:47 AM »
RIME is free in the Epic Games store this week. Fun little puzzle adventure game reminiscent of ICO and The Last Guardian.

Speaking of which, since I didn't see it specifically discussed,

Mustachian PSA: The Epic Games store (PC digital distribution platform, new Steam competitor) offers a free game for you to keep every two weeks.  Not really any reason not to take advantage of it.  Many of the games they've offered are pretty decent, actually. 

Personally, I've still been playing Dark Souls 3, but over the past few days have been giving Dauntless a try.  Newly released free-to-play game, clearly inspired by Monster Hunter World.  It's amusing; definitely not as deep as MHW but much more focused upon party play and easy grouping.  It's kind of making me want to go back and play more MHW, actually, which I haven't touched in about a year. 

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1241 on: June 04, 2019, 10:32:49 PM »
My son got a Switch from his grandmother for Christmas but hasn't been very interested in it yet. I love the concept (and that I didn't have to buy it, lol) but I'm not sure why he's not into it.

@lexde What's the most inexpensive way you've found to get good games for it if you don't have lots of friends with that system?

In general, I think if you can purchase the console at a deep discount or get it as a gift, playing games on that would be an inexpensive hobby...especially when compared to other forms of entertainment. Not as cheap as reading a book or riding a bike, but if you're a gamer and really enjoy that as a primary form of entertainment, it seems to be on the lower end of the scale in terms of costs once the console is out of the way.

Start monitoring reddit.com/r/nintendoswitchdeals. There are deals to be had, but for AAA games, $45 is probably the best you will do outside of Black Friday or maybe an E3 sale. Being patient helps.

Also if you have Twitter follow @Videogamedeals and visit Cheapassgamer.com

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1242 on: June 04, 2019, 10:34:15 PM »

To me Witcher 3 was one of the best modern western RPGs I ever played. I had never played any of he other games. I set aside Fallout 4 to enjoy Witcher 3 and complete it and all the DLC

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1243 on: June 04, 2019, 10:35:41 PM »
Recently finished Division 2 so I am giving Spiderman on PS4 a try. I had a little left with Best Buy GCU which gives you 20% off new games, used this and a coupon to snag Metro Exodus

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1244 on: June 05, 2019, 09:08:28 AM »

To me Witcher 3 was one of the best modern western RPGs I ever played. I had never played any of he other games. I set aside Fallout 4 to enjoy Witcher 3 and complete it and all the DLC

I still need to finish Witcher 3 and I haven't even started Fallout 4....the older I get, the less time it seems I have!

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1245 on: June 05, 2019, 11:32:04 AM »
Hollow Knight, Switch. And Hornet is pissing me off.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1246 on: June 06, 2019, 02:55:34 AM »
Finally wrestled Red Dead Redemption 2 off my nephew and am mostly through it now. What a crackingly good game! So immersive and the landscapes, character and horse animations and cut scenes are just beautiful to see and experience.

My favourite character so far has been Charles Chatenay, a French Artist whose nude paintings are ahead of their time for the game era. I like it when he says in the letter he writes after your final mission with him: "I detest selfish asses more than civilization itself. But what is civilization really but organised selfishness?"

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1247 on: June 09, 2019, 07:26:13 PM »
I must be one of the only people who really like RTS games at this point.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1248 on: June 09, 2019, 09:46:12 PM »

What are some of the more recent games that are popular? I think the last I played was Age of Mythology.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1249 on: June 10, 2019, 06:32:04 AM »

What are some of the more recent games that are popular? I think the last I played was Age of Mythology.

I don't know of very many recent ones that are popular. That's my problem :(