Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781572 times)

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1050 on: February 26, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »
Just finished Mad Max on PS4 and really enjoyed it, despite the vehicle controls being really laggy making for some curvaceous drunk-like driving at times. My brother, from whom I borrowed Mad Max, and my nephew both have PS4s and we have a pact to share games with each other in a Mustachian spirit, so gaming is a really cheap form of entertainment for me.

I played it on the PC a while back and enjoyed it thoroughly.   Very underrated game!

BattlaP

• Stubble
« Reply #1051 on: February 26, 2018, 05:12:45 PM »
Picked up Titanfall 2 on special for 4.99 the other day - well worth the wait for a price slash.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #1052 on: February 27, 2018, 05:04:31 AM »
My hands have been in rough shape for most of the past year plus but a new chiro is helping fix a lot of my nerve impingements so the other weekend I was able to restart Witcher 3 and put a few hours in. With spring coming I’ve got projects outside to get done but hope to keep chipping away at that game.

Any sprawling open world games folks would recommend from the past few years? Big massive RPGs like Skyrim and Witcher 3 are my favorite type of game.

Schmidty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1053 on: February 27, 2018, 07:00:08 AM »
World of Warcraft here.  Have been playing off and on 10 years now.  No gaming consoles to buy, just play on whatever pc I have at the moment.  Have played on both laptop and desktop. 

Stepson plays Xbox, just bought the latest console, and buys a new game every time I turn around.  With his own money, thank goodness.  A day or two after he gets a new game he announces that he's beat it.  I don't know how many consoles or games he's purchased over the years. 

In that context, my monthly subscription (that I pay in 6 months for the discount) for playing WoW is way lower than his game playing.  And I never "beat" the game.  There is always something to do.  ALWAYS!  Leveling, raiding, achievements, professions, acquiring mounts or gear for transmogs, trying out a new race, trying out healers, tanks, or dps.  The guild I am in is literally just older players, like myself.  We are there to have fun, no elitists allowed.  The group regularly do things together.  One of our players is in her 80's. 

It's something fun, interesting, social when I want, and has goals for me when I want something to do or just chill.  Far as hobbies go, it's price for subscription is well worth it to me.  This year I'll pay $156 for the subscription and around $50 for the xpac coming out.  Stepson has already spent double that for his Xbox stuff, it's not even March yet.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1054 on: February 27, 2018, 08:30:42 AM »
Yeah I have been playing World of Warcraft off and on since 2004 (geez, 14 years!)

Currently have a 968 druid in a all druid guild on Stormrage which is a semi casual guild.

We don't publicly keep track of dps or heals and we only raid for about 4 hours a week, so slowly progressing through heroic Antorus (5/11).  It is a lot of fun during the raids with quite a bit of banter on discord.   Then we will sometimes do some crazy stuff like go 20 bears on a boss (which actually sometimes works amazingly well).

When classic WoW comes back I am doomed.  Already gathering empty bottles.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #1055 on: February 27, 2018, 09:29:31 AM »
My wife plays Wow but only got into it somewhat recently. My kids also play when they decide to spend the $ on it or receive a month as a gift.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1056 on: February 28, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »
Horizon Zero Dawn was released one year ago today. I'm going to celebrate by trying to finally get that last trophy from the DLC.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1057 on: March 02, 2018, 11:01:05 AM »
Currently playing a mix of Fortnite Battle Royale and Monster Hunter World.

Both are excellent games. Fortnite is also free.

BattlaP

• Stubble
« Reply #1058 on: March 03, 2018, 01:56:31 AM »
oh my god Into The Breach, so addictive

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1059 on: March 07, 2018, 06:54:49 PM »
I just bought a game with a Gamestop giftcard I had lying around. It's called "Uncharted 3" and it cost me $3.20 including tax. It looks kind of like Indiana Jones, so I'm excited to try it out. I'm sure this game is absolutely ancient at this point, but it's completely new to me.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1060 on: March 07, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »
I feel pretty lame, but here goes. I’ve been watching Let’s Play playlists on YouTube and really enjoy it. A lot of the games are those I wouldn’t buy on my own since I only have a modded Wii.

I just finished a LP for Uncharted 4. What an awesome game. I really enjoyed watching it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1061 on: March 07, 2018, 07:51:05 PM »
I feel pretty lame, but here goes. I’ve been watching Let’s Play playlists on YouTube and really enjoy it. A lot of the games are those I wouldn’t buy on my own since I only have a modded Wii.

I just finished a LP for Uncharted 4. What an awesome game. I really enjoyed watching it.
I sheepily admit that I'm guilty of watching a few as well.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1062 on: March 07, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »
Picked up Titanfall 2 on special for 4.99 the other day - well worth the wait for a price slash.

I kinda wanted to pick it up, but I haven't launched any game in weeks...and I still have The Witcher 3 to play.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #1063 on: March 08, 2018, 05:41:54 AM »

Gopher is a great LPer you might want to check out. I haven’t watched him in a while, but loved some of his Skyrim stuff.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1064 on: March 08, 2018, 06:47:47 AM »

I recently watched an all cutscenes video for Catherine. I was interested in the story but not the tedious block puzzles. What a weird (but intriguing) game.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1065 on: March 08, 2018, 08:23:14 AM »
I feel pretty lame, but here goes. I’ve been watching Let’s Play playlists on YouTube and really enjoy it.

Don't feel too bad.  Watching other people play games is the 3rd or 4th most popular category on all of YouTube.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1066 on: March 08, 2018, 09:51:24 AM »
I just bought a game with a Gamestop giftcard I had lying around. It's called "Uncharted 3" and it cost me $3.20 including tax. It looks kind of like Indiana Jones, so I'm excited to try it out. I'm sure this game is absolutely ancient at this point, but it's completely new to me.

It's an awesome game, I can attest.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #1067 on: March 08, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »

It's an awesome game, I can attest.

Uncharted 1 and 2 should also still hold up very well if you end up liking 3.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #1068 on: March 08, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »
I feel pretty lame, but here goes. I’ve been watching Let’s Play playlists on YouTube and really enjoy it.

Don't feel too bad.  Watching other people play games is the 3rd or 4th most popular category on all of YouTube.

Agreed, not lame at all. It's one of the best ways to review a game before you buy it.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1069 on: March 08, 2018, 02:44:04 PM »
I've been accumulating Nintendo eShop credits by using slower shipping on Amazon. My next purchases are going to be Celeste, Blossom Tales, and Vs. Super Mario Bros.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1070 on: March 08, 2018, 08:11:06 PM »

Agreed, not lame at all. It's one of the best ways to review a game before you buy it.

Not lame at all! Honestly I'm considering cutting Netflix because 99% of my entertainment for the past few months has come from Youtube for free, and it's been mostly video game Let's Plays (and some cooking stuff).

Olive Branch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1071 on: March 11, 2018, 04:10:37 PM »
Night in the Woods is the game I'm currently enjoying thoroughly, and speaks harsh words about the financial situation of rust belt America and the frustrated millennial generation in small towns. It's a great soft adventure game with heavy storytelling and characterization. Highly recommended!

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1072 on: March 12, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »

Started playing Assassins Creed Origins again now that they have added the 'discovery (historical tour) mode'.  It is pretty impressive how much work they put into research and such.  Apparently the worked with some very well know Egyptologists.  The world is huge and very impressive if you are even remotely interested in Egyptian history.

CintranGhola

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1073 on: April 08, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »
Night in the Woods

This wasn't on my radar but I'm looking for something a bit more chill after finishing Alien: Isolation. Definitely putting it on my wishlist!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1074 on: April 08, 2018, 02:37:08 PM »
Currently playing Monster Hunter World.

Not loving it, but I'm not really very good. I like RPGs and this is missing the story, and I have yet to be convinced with the combat.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1075 on: April 10, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »
Night in the Woods

This wasn't on my radar but I'm looking for something a bit more chill after finishing Alien: Isolation. Definitely putting it on my wishlist!

Currently watching a play through and it seems both wonderful and heartbreaking. The humor and quips are awesome.

Also watching a play through of Outlast 2 which... interesting.

I haven't done too much gaming myself lately, which is a shame. Should make some time for a good game this week... gotta check out my steam library and see what I haven't tried yet.

fdhs_runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1076 on: April 24, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »
I recently finished Far Cry 5. It's gotten mixed reviews from critics that were expecting something political, which is an odd thing to expect from a FPS video game. If you're considering the game just know that it's a Far Cry game set in Montana. Don't expect it to be any closer to American reality than Far Cry 4 was to Nepal's reality or Far Cry 3 was to the Philippine's reality [or the reality of any other Pacific island local].

IMHO Ubisoft did a good job on the fundamentals of a FPS with Far Cry 5. They did an absolutely excellent job on putting the freedom to choose different courses of action in a FPS. The game let the player take an objective by sniping, by sneaking in with a compound bow, by attacking it from a helicopter, by calling in your AI buddies for air support while you sit on a nearby hilltop with binoculars, by ordering your AI buddies on the ground to attack it, etc etc.

They did an absolutely bang up job on the open world and the freedom to use it and call in various forms of support from friendly AI, if you so choose. Heck you can even fly a small plane and bomb the objective or call your friendly AI to provide CAS for you. I only tried that once as I'm not super into flying games, but it's an option.

Contrasted with the previous FPS I played, Call of Duty WWII, and that freedom was very welcome. Call of Duty forced me to babysit a flack gun, drive a tank, do a insta fail stealth mission, and well I don't know what else because I quit in disgust after the tank driving mission and probably won't ever buy a Call of Duty game again.

The one complaint I have is Ubisoft could have done a better job at easing between the open world and the main story missions. The side missions were great, but the transition to the main story could have been handled better.

The open world is so vast with so many options that I had beat the game and was messing around afterwards (the game allows you to finish up side missions you skipped after beating it) when I realized your character can drink or eat pot during the game. You can jump in the back of a helicopter, mark a spot on the map, and let your friendly AI fly you there. You can use one friendly AI character to spot targets while the other one snipes them. It's got elements of command & control to the point where you can beat the game without hardly shooting anything yourself if you so choose.

I'm a big fan of open world, freedom to choose different approaches FPS games so I LOVED Far Cry 5. Just don't buy it expecting some video game commentary on Trump or religion or politics or whatever it was that some critics were looking for. It's a FPS that happens to be set in America, that's it.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1077 on: April 24, 2018, 02:21:29 PM »
I picked up Steamworld Heist after playing through Steamworld Dig 2. I was a little skeptical about whether I'd like procedurally generated levels, but so far this game is excellent. I may be enjoying it more than Dig 2, which is a high bar.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1078 on: April 24, 2018, 02:55:36 PM »
I recently finished Far Cry 5. It's gotten mixed reviews from critics that were expecting something political, which is an odd thing to expect from a FPS video game. If you're considering the game just know that it's a Far Cry game set in Montana. Don't expect it to be any closer to American reality than Far Cry 4 was to Nepal's reality or Far Cry 3 was to the Philippine's reality [or the reality of any other Pacific island local].

IMHO Ubisoft did a good job on the fundamentals of a FPS with Far Cry 5. They did an absolutely excellent job on putting the freedom to choose different courses of action in a FPS. The game let the player take an objective by sniping, by sneaking in with a compound bow, by attacking it from a helicopter, by calling in your AI buddies for air support while you sit on a nearby hilltop with binoculars, by ordering your AI buddies on the ground to attack it, etc etc.

They did an absolutely bang up job on the open world and the freedom to use it and call in various forms of support from friendly AI, if you so choose. Heck you can even fly a small plane and bomb the objective or call your friendly AI to provide CAS for you. I only tried that once as I'm not super into flying games, but it's an option.

Contrasted with the previous FPS I played, Call of Duty WWII, and that freedom was very welcome. Call of Duty forced me to babysit a flack gun, drive a tank, do a insta fail stealth mission, and well I don't know what else because I quit in disgust after the tank driving mission and probably won't ever buy a Call of Duty game again.

The one complaint I have is Ubisoft could have done a better job at easing between the open world and the main story missions. The side missions were great, but the transition to the main story could have been handled better.

The open world is so vast with so many options that I had beat the game and was messing around afterwards (the game allows you to finish up side missions you skipped after beating it) when I realized your character can drink or eat pot during the game. You can jump in the back of a helicopter, mark a spot on the map, and let your friendly AI fly you there. You can use one friendly AI character to spot targets while the other one snipes them. It's got elements of command & control to the point where you can beat the game without hardly shooting anything yourself if you so choose.

I'm a big fan of open world, freedom to choose different approaches FPS games so I LOVED Far Cry 5. Just don't buy it expecting some video game commentary on Trump or religion or politics or whatever it was that some critics were looking for. It's a FPS that happens to be set in America, that's it.

The Far Cry series is one of my favorites.  Looks like I'll enjoy this one as well.  However, I am waiting for a deal.  Traditionally, prices on the Far Cry games drop significantly just a few weeks after release.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1079 on: April 24, 2018, 09:16:54 PM »
Currently playing Monster Hunter World.

Not loving it, but I'm not really very good. I like RPGs and this is missing the story, and I have yet to be convinced with the combat.

I'm a veteran Monster Hunter player. It's a good series overall but I was a bit disappointed with this newest iteration. It's a fun game but definitely has some glaring issues.

I will admit the Monster Hunter series is very niche and takes some getting used to (slow, skillful combat). Give it time though, it has a great community and can be very rewarding.

fdhs_runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1080 on: April 25, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »

The Far Cry series is one of my favorites.  Looks like I'll enjoy this one as well.  However, I am waiting for a deal.  Traditionally, prices on the Far Cry games drop significantly just a few weeks after release.

Personally I give Ubisoft a lot of credit for continuing to focus on putting a serious single player/co-op campaign in their games. The map in FC5 was even bigger than the one in Far Cry Primal and carried over a lot of elements from that game including the ability to fast travel to more than just outposts. Ubisoft has done a good job of improving the mechanics and fun aspect of open world FPSs since Far Cry 2.

BTW, I highly recommend Far Cry Primal, especially if you're already a fan of Far Cry type games. By setting it in the stone age they made the game all about the animals. I picked that game up for $20 on Amazon last fall. I was worried a FPS without the shooting would suck, but the animal taming aspect made the game work.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1081 on: April 25, 2018, 03:16:32 PM »

Personally I give Ubisoft a lot of credit for continuing to focus on putting a serious single player/co-op campaign in their games. The map in FC5 was even bigger than the one in Far Cry Primal and carried over a lot of elements from that game including the ability to fast travel to more than just outposts. Ubisoft has done a good job of improving the mechanics and fun aspect of open world FPSs since Far Cry 2.

BTW, I highly recommend Far Cry Primal, especially if you're already a fan of Far Cry type games. By setting it in the stone age they made the game all about the animals. I picked that game up for $20 on Amazon last fall. I was worried a FPS without the shooting would suck, but the animal taming aspect made the game work.

I don't think I've played any of them since Far Cry 3. I'm way behind!

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1082 on: April 26, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »

Yep I played the heck out of Primal.  In my opinion it was unfairly criticized...but it was priced right (when i got it) and was a great game!

fdhs_runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1083 on: April 29, 2018, 07:33:07 AM »
I think one of the reasons why Primal caught flack was what I've taken to calling the 'CoD Multiplayer effect'. I noticed it clearly when I spent time playing Far Cry 3 co-op. There seems to be a large population of younger games who grew up on Call of Duty multiplayer and hence think every FPS is about running around like a chicken with its head cut off shooting whatever automatic weapon in the game has the largest magazine from the hip. They probably ran around swinging a club in Primal, got bored, and gave it a bad review before they realized all the other ways that game can be played.

Primal was a game that should definitely be played on the hardest difficulty. Ubisoft even pushed out a Survival mode in an update after the game released. Playing the game on Veteran forces one to slow down and use strategy. I found the game got a LOT easier after taming a sabretooth and learning the skill for the rottenbomb. I'd sneak up on an enemy position, use the owl to drop a rottenbomb on top of the biggest enemy, then send the sabretooth in to clean up the perimeter while the other enemies fought each other. I found myself wishing Far Cry 5 had a small drone in the game.

It's obvious that Ubisoft carried over a LOT from Primal to Far Cry 5. Almost any compound on the map can be fast traveled to once you've walked past it once, not just outposts. Stores are everywhere, not just at outposts. The friendly AI system was copied over, to the point where just like in Primal it doesn't count as the enemy seeing you if all they see is your friendly AI character.

I give Ubisoft credit for realizing that to make an animal focused game work they had to set it in the stone age. I tried using the cougar in FC5 at first, but the enemy just shoots her. By putting Primal in the stone age the animals become much more powerful relative to the enemies and they can include now instinct specious like sabretooths and mammoths. 

I've finished playing through FC5 now and have really just two complaints:
  • Lack of a Veteran setting; the game only has easy, normal, and hard. Hard ended up being too easy. By the time I got 2 - 3 hours into the game about the only time I'd ever die or even be in trouble was under very direct fire from an enemy helicopter. The enemy ground troops don't scale up very well.
  • The transition from the open world to the main story line could have been handled much better. It got to where I was intentionally avoiding picking up resistance points while traveling in the open world because I didn't want to hit that magic number and get yanked into the main story. They also should have set the resistance points needed to trigger the main story much higher, thereby forcing me to pick some up in the open world after completing all the 'story missions' and most of the 'side missions' that take place in the open world. I loved the story & side missions that take place in the open world, but if you hit the resistance points too quick it'll yank you before you finish the open world stuff.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1084 on: April 30, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »
I've completed a few PS4 games lately, namely Heavy Rain (awesome), Journey (zen-like), Flower (zen-like), Trackmania Turbo (well as far as you can get with winning at least silver on every track) and am currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn Frozen Wilds DLC (best game ever keeps on giving). I also bought a PSVR, with them going on deep sale where I am just after the release of the movie Ready Player One, and that has been better than I expected with all the free demos and youtube VR clips out there use on it. The only VR full games I have are VR Worlds, which came bundled with the PSVR, and Eagle Flight and they are both pretty good fun. I'm waiting for VR games like Resident Evil 7 and Elder Scrolls V to go below $25 before I buy. In the meantime I have Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us, Until Dawn and Uncharted 4, all bought at a good discount, to keep me entertained.

zoltani

« Reply #1085 on: April 30, 2018, 06:56:46 PM »
Anyone playing the new god of war? Looks good but I am waiting for price cuts.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1086 on: May 01, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
Anyone playing the new god of war? Looks good but I am waiting for price cuts.

I have heard good things about it from my friends. Pretty steep though. I'm still playing Fortnite, a popular free game.

Frugal D

• Stubble
« Reply #1087 on: May 02, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
Currently ADDICTED to Fortnite which is not only the best Mustachian game ever (read: free), it's also a really interesting business model. It recently became the highest grossing free game EVER! It brings in $2mm per day on in-game purchases. I'm constantly amazed how much money people are willing to spend on digital, meaningless accessories. One of my online buddies told me he has spent over $200 on that shit.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1088 on: May 02, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »
Currently ADDICTED to Fortnite which is not only the best Mustachian game ever (read: free), it's also a really interesting business model. It recently became the highest grossing free game EVER! It brings in $2mm per day on in-game purchases. I'm constantly amazed how much money people are willing to spend on digital, meaningless accessories. One of my online buddies told me he has spent over $200 on that shit.

Yes, it is certainly changing the video gaming industry, for the better IMO.

Are you on PS4? Lol, we could play together sometime.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1089 on: May 22, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »
I play on Xbox and PC.  Mostly Steam sales and Xbox gold free games, with perhaps 2-3 full-price purchases per year (usually to play with friends online).

Fortnite BR: gave it a whirl (on Xbox) with some buddies.  Didn't grab me yet, but I'll probably be willing to play it when a few of them are online and interested.
Warframe: Have been playing here or there recently (played it extensively for about four months, but quit a year ago).  Great free game, but with a steep learning curve.
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2: Picked it up for $6.25 to play with my son during his allotted screen time as an introduction to more complex video games. 
Rise of the Tomb Raider: Almost done with this, but haven't finished yet.
Witcher 3: Another game that I periodically go back to.  Incredible amount of high-quality content.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1090 on: June 06, 2018, 07:37:34 AM »
Picked up the new God of War (full price, but it's been a long time since there has been a game that Hubs and I were both excited about, and we didn't want to wait for the price to drop). Great game. I loved the original God of War (II was meh, and I never played III), and the changes and improvements to combat were fantastic--and so were the callouts to the original combat system. I really enjoyed the puzzles. The characters were great (never thought my favorite character in a game would be a severed head) and mostly believable. The environment was great, and I love games that reward you for exploring, and this one does not disappoint. It's no Horizon Zero Dawn (sequel now please), but definitely worth the price and still has lots of play left in it.

I also discovered that somebody set up a private server of my MMORPG drug of choice, Final Fantasy XI. Hubs and I created characters and have already poured way too many hours into it. It's a bad, bad idea. I was this close to becoming one of those failed-out-of-college gaming addicts you hear about. And now I'm an adult with a job, in a masters program, with responsibilities... If we're going to play this again for the long haul, it's going to have to be WAY different this time around. Ditching work last Friday to play probably wasn't the best start...

On the plus side, it's very Mustachian--no subscription fee this time around, plus it will probably dramatically reduce our restaurant and entertainment spending. That happens when you stop leaving the house.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1091 on: June 06, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
I am playing Celeste. Tons of fun and lots of replayability. It's really good at teaching you tech through level design instead of tutorial text and the difficulty curve is quite nice. Overall it's a very well polished game.

DenverDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1092 on: June 06, 2018, 11:10:37 AM »
I am playing Celeste. Tons of fun and lots of replayability. It's really good at teaching you tech through level design instead of tutorial text and the difficulty curve is quite nice. Overall it's a very well polished game.

I'm working on the B side levels, and the difficulty gets quite ridiculous. I'm also playing Space Hulk Deathwing online with a friend. He gave me his physical copy since he also has a digital copy, so I see that as being Mustachian for me.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1093 on: June 06, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »

I'm working on the B side levels, and the difficulty gets quite ridiculous.

Agreed, the difficulty definitely ramps up in the optional levels. There were several rooms that I felt were impossible at first. But I like how the game pushes the boundaries of what I thought I was capable of. With enough practice (and sometimes thinking) I've been able to beat the B-side for Chapters 1-5 and I'm almost done with Chapter 6. After going back to the main story (to find all the collectibles) I found the normal levels to be much easier simply because the B-sides had honed my skills.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1094 on: June 06, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »
Picked up the new God of War (full price, but it's been a long time since there has been a game that Hubs and I were both excited about, and we didn't want to wait for the price to drop). Great game. I loved the original God of War (II was meh, and I never played III), and the changes and improvements to combat were fantastic--and so were the callouts to the original combat system. I really enjoyed the puzzles. The characters were great (never thought my favorite character in a game would be a severed head) and mostly believable. The environment was great, and I love games that reward you for exploring, and this one does not disappoint. It's no Horizon Zero Dawn (sequel now please), but definitely worth the price and still has lots of play left in it.

I also discovered that somebody set up a private server of my MMORPG drug of choice, Final Fantasy XI. Hubs and I created characters and have already poured way too many hours into it. It's a bad, bad idea. I was this close to becoming one of those failed-out-of-college gaming addicts you hear about. And now I'm an adult with a job, in a masters program, with responsibilities... If we're going to play this again for the long haul, it's going to have to be WAY different this time around. Ditching work last Friday to play probably wasn't the best start...

On the plus side, it's very Mustachian--no subscription fee this time around, plus it will probably dramatically reduce our restaurant and entertainment spending. That happens when you stop leaving the house.

Can you tell me more about this private server or PM me more information? I'm interested in FFXI.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1095 on: June 06, 2018, 11:22:00 PM »
Can you tell me more about this private server or PM me more information? I'm interested in FFXI.

https://na.nasomi.com/  It's the game as it was around 2008 or so, for the most part.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1096 on: June 09, 2018, 11:24:14 AM »
I'm enjoying Titanfall 2 for some lightweight action.  The kids like Fortnight, and I play it on occasion as well, though not very well. 

Most off the time nowadays I play board games online, when I have time to play at all.  Catan, Dominion, Lords of Waterdeep.

Rustychase

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1097 on: June 09, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
I was playing the Sims 3 on PC! I never really got into the 4th series....too much money theft from EA.

But there are enough mods and cc out there it's still pretty fun all these years later

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1098 on: June 10, 2018, 05:17:47 AM »
I am playing Railroad Tycoon 2. I played this game when it was the newest one available and then somehow life went on and it got to be 20 years old. RT3 and Sid Meier's Railroads! are both trash games, so I never moved on even though the series did...

Crabbie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1099 on: June 12, 2018, 09:41:52 AM »
Crazy about RPG's, latest is Torment: Tides of Numenera. Spiritual successors of one of my all-time favourites Planescape: Torment. Really has the same vibe and atmosphere to it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!