Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781570 times)

ptobest

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #600 on: January 10, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »
So you basically designed New Jersey? :P

Ahaha!

I heard good things about Endless Legend, the base games onsale constantly at $6 or so... so definitely work a try.  Sorta like Civ what I've been told but more RPG'ish.

Interesting, I will have to check that out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #601 on: January 10, 2017, 07:49:14 PM »
I hadn't heard of Cities: Skyline.
Now I went and looked into it.
My 8 year old laptop doesn't have the specs to run it.
I have never had anything it couldn't handle that I wanted before.

THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE MUSTACHIAN FORUM ISN'T IT ENOUGH THAT I'M CONSIDERING BUYING A CURRENT GENERATION CONSOLE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE WHY ARE YOU TEMPTING ME INTO BUYING STUFF I ABSOLUTELY DON'T NEED???!??!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!

ElGrillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #602 on: January 10, 2017, 11:19:27 PM »
I got Cities: Skylines during the winter Steam sale, that's been a lot of fun. I'm really awful at road design though, and end up plowing through neighborhoods to add more roads to alleviate traffic. AKA all of my roads are spaghetti.

Been playing a lot of Civ 5 lately as well, really want to get Civ 6 but the discount never dipped below 10% during the sale, and I'm cheap enough to want to wait until they have a nicely discounted package with all the DLC and such. Which I'm OK with, as Civ 5 still has a lot of life in it!

Right now Civ 6 is still unbalanced in a lot of ways, so getting it later is a good call for that reason, too. Civ 5 is holding me over until I get a new computer that can handle 6.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #603 on: January 11, 2017, 03:05:56 PM »
THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE MUSTACHIAN FORUM ISN'T IT ENOUGH THAT I'M CONSIDERING BUYING A CURRENT GENERATION CONSOLE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE WHY ARE YOU TEMPTING ME INTO BUYING STUFF I ABSOLUTELY DON'T NEED???!??!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!

Ditch the current gen console, buy a better PC, play skyline and save.

Current gen console are equivalent in power to 5-6 years old PCs which can be had for next to nothing.

Do you want to get it for the "exclusives"?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #604 on: January 11, 2017, 03:51:43 PM »

Current gen console are equivalent in power to 5-6 years old PCs which can be had for next to nothing.

Current gen consoles can also be had for next to nothing, lol.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #605 on: January 12, 2017, 05:56:40 AM »

Like 100$? Around here am I seeing them for 250-600$ (CAD) depending on model.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #606 on: January 12, 2017, 07:34:12 AM »

Do you do Shoppers Optimum? There were some hot deals where you got nearly $100 back in points on a 20x day.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #607 on: January 12, 2017, 07:46:40 AM »
PC gamer here.

I loved Witcher 3, Cities: Skylines, and Bioshock Infinity, as I saw others mention above.

I enjoy games I can sit on the couch and play with my girlfriend.  Something simple like Trine or a lego game works well.  We went through Life is Strange a few months back (with her controlling, me watching and helping) and both really enjoyed it.

These days I've been playing mostly Overwatch and Battlefield 1. 

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #608 on: January 12, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
PC gamer here.

I loved Witcher 3, Cities: Skylines, and Bioshock Infinity, as I saw others mention above.

I enjoy games I can sit on the couch and play with my girlfriend.  Something simple like Trine or a lego game works well.  We went through Life is Strange a few months back (with her controlling, me watching and helping) and both really enjoyed it.

I'm in the same boat with trying to get my wife into more gaming with me.  I'm interested in knowing what other games you've played/ playing with your girlfriend.

We really like "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light" for some fun couch co-op.  We tried Little Big Planet but plat-forming just wasn't her thing - kind of leaves Trine out of it, also.  The Telltale games are also pretty fun to play together (someone makes choices, other watches).

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #609 on: January 12, 2017, 09:58:43 AM »

I've been considering getting the Switch, maybe a year or so after it comes out, mainly just for Breath of the Wild (the first of the series was the single best game of it's generation, Ocarina of Time probably my own personal favorite, and the game I was able to get two totally non-gamer partners to get into).

As evidenced by my 2008 laptop (which I only purchased when my then 8 year old laptop burned out its motherboard after 8 solid years), I don't generally care about cutting edge computing ability, so long as it can do whatever I need to get done.  So, a console that can't produce the graphics of a new PC doesn't bother me one bit.

As other's have mentioned, sometimes its nice to be able to play while not sitting at my desk, and my wife has recently been as into playing as me, but she would never go for it if it wasn't side by side in the living room

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #610 on: January 12, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
As other's have mentioned, sometimes its nice to be able to play while not sitting at my desk, and my wife has recently been as into playing as me, but she would never go for it if it wasn't side by side in the living room

You have a point there, but streaming units are closing the gap fairly quickly. A 20$ steam link can do wonders if you are not too picky about sound and graphics.

And It's TINY.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #611 on: January 12, 2017, 05:03:50 PM »

You have a point there, but streaming units are closing the gap fairly quickly. A 20$ steam link can do wonders if you are not too picky about sound and graphics.

And It's TINY.
interesting, didn't know it existed (but not surprised either).  But then I'd also need a couple controllers and a wireless keyboard, not to mention a newer fancier TV...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #612 on: January 12, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »

You couldn't find a computer I'd be willing to use for $100, let alone play games on.  PS4 bundles in the US are routinely at $250, and xBox Ones can be had for $170.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #613 on: January 12, 2017, 10:12:45 PM »

And It's TINY.
We bought a Steam Link for $20, and it's been great for streaming games where high fps isn't important. The hubs & I have played platformers like Ori & the Blind Forest and Shovel Knight and even Dark Souls III without an issue. Also you can use xbox & other controllers with the steam link, no need to buy a fancy Steam Controller. :)

And as mentioned, it's tiny. We packed it with us when we visited in-laws this winter so we could stream games at the in-laws house off our laptop and at a friends house off his computer.

Seriously it was the best $20 we spent this Christmas. It's hard to play games together on the PC, but games are SO MUCH cheaper on Steam. Streaming games to the TV has been lovely.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:17:59 PM by purplepear »

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #614 on: January 13, 2017, 05:35:02 AM »
PC gamer here.

I'm in the same boat with trying to get my wife into more gaming with me.  I'm interested in knowing what other games you've played/ playing with your girlfriend.

We really like "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light" for some fun couch co-op.  We tried Little Big Planet but plat-forming just wasn't her thing - kind of leaves Trine out of it, also.  The Telltale games are also pretty fun to play together (someone makes choices, other watches).

I agree with the Telltale games.  Aside from the 2D platformers like Trine, we also played Portal 2 together.  It was a little challenging for her sometimes -- which is totally understandable, since 3D FPS controlling is something that can take time to learn.  Life is Strange was perfect since the game's story line lets you "rewind" if you make a mistake and it had a solid story line.

Since my computer is in my living room, I just run an extra long HDMI cable from my computer to the TV and switch the display to the TV when I want to play on the couch, along with two old wireless XBOX 360 controllers.  Simple and zero latency. 

PhysicsCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #615 on: January 13, 2017, 10:25:05 AM »
I'm currently playing too many things. I tend to jump around and circle back so I'll just list my current favorites.

Factorio
Witcher 3
X-COM
Elite: Dangerous
Mario Kart 8

I've also enjoyed;
Transport Fever
Cities: Skylines
Space Engineers
Kerbal Space Program
Paradox games

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #616 on: January 13, 2017, 03:13:10 PM »

You couldn't find a computer I'd be willing to use for $100, let alone play games on.  PS4 bundles in the US are routinely at $250, and xBox Ones can be had for $170.

Well aren't you a fancy little princess. :P

I remember reading about a computer build that, when new, cost about the same as a console. I think they called it the potato masher or something like that. If you could buy that a few years ago, I don't see why you can't pick that up used for about the same price as a used console (which a refurb is).

For me, being locked in the console ecosystem entails a price I am not willing to pay. That and the huge markup on games. And the (practically) infinite selection of indie and FTP games available on PC. And the free online play where you don't have to pay for multiplayer.

But it's all cool. You do you my friend.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #617 on: January 13, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »

Well aren't you a fancy little princess. :P

I remember reading about a computer build that, when new, cost about the same as a console. I think they called it the potato masher or something like that. If you could buy that a few years ago, I don't see why you can't pick that up used for about the same price as a used console (which a refurb is).

For me, being locked in the console ecosystem entails a price I am not willing to pay. That and the huge markup on games. And the (practically) infinite selection of indie and FTP games available on PC. And the free online play where you don't have to pay for multiplayer.

But it's all cool. You do you my friend.

Yep. I work with a $10mil datacenter every day at work and I have exceptionally little tolerance for anything that is slow at home.

I have a PS4 and a PC, so implying I'm "locked in the console ecosystem" is false at best.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #618 on: January 13, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »
I have a PS4 and a PC, so implying I'm "locked in the console ecosystem" is false at best.

Not implying anything. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a system that is locked to a limited number of titles.

If you have the resources and the interest to invest in both, more power to you!

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #619 on: January 13, 2017, 05:44:37 PM »
Dark Souls III - git gud casul

(full disclosure: I'm not that good at PvP and get scared when invaded...)

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #620 on: January 13, 2017, 08:38:04 PM »
Dark Souls III - git gud casul

(full disclosure: I'm not that good at PvP and get scared when invaded...)

I asked for a steam refund after playing the DS2 for 20 minutes. I just could not work the controls.

Is DS3 better?

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #621 on: January 14, 2017, 05:16:13 AM »

I asked for a steam refund after playing the DS2 for 20 minutes. I just could not work the controls.

Is DS3 better?

Were you playing with a controller (Xbox or PS3) or a keyboard and mouse? If not a controller, I'd recommend switching to one. If already using one, give it some more time. It's a very challenging, but rewarding series of games.

The controls are mostly the same between DS2 and DS3, but with some new weapon mechanics added.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #622 on: January 14, 2017, 07:48:40 AM »

Is DS3 better?

Were you playing with a controller (Xbox or PS3) or a keyboard and mouse? If not a controller, I'd recommend switching to one. If already using one, give it some more time. It's a very challenging, but rewarding series of games.

The controls are mostly the same between DS2 and DS3, but with some new weapon mechanics added.

Keyboard then but I have a wireless 360 controller setup for my pc now.

What I found frustrating was the overlay did not match whatever key you had assigned. For instance it would say "press A" for an action but the real mapping was "Ctrl-Shift-F" or something equally ridiculous. 

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #623 on: January 14, 2017, 08:24:44 AM »

Keyboard then but I have a wireless 360 controller setup for my pc now.

What I found frustrating was the overlay did not match whatever key you had assigned. For instance it would say "press A" for an action but the real mapping was "Ctrl-Shift-F" or something equally ridiculous. 

I use a 360 controller and, while I still die all the time, it's not the fault of controls. The games are just that hard at first.

The souls games were console games ported to PC, so the control scheme is meant for a controller. I never tried keyboard, but I read on other boards that it's not great.

whateverdude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #624 on: January 22, 2017, 03:55:51 PM »
BF1 and Hyper Light Drifter on PC.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #625 on: January 22, 2017, 06:42:09 PM »
Proud dad stopping in to announce that my son is Top 500 in Overwatch for the second season in a row.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

(New video up soon at link in my sig.)

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #626 on: January 22, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »
I am still playing Battlefield 1 and Witcher 2.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #627 on: January 23, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »
UC4: The last 3rd of the game almost made up for the first 2/3rds. Maybe a good way to round out the series, and roughly enjoyable to play, but wouldn't probably rate a re-play, in my opinion. Just didn't have the impact of the other games in the series.

Have you tried the multiplayer? I've gotten some decent play time out of it so far. They also came out with a new survival game mode recently.

We should play some Uncharted 4 mplayer some time. You can add me on PSN kube00

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #628 on: January 23, 2017, 09:25:31 PM »
I've been playing Battlefield 1, Dishonored 2, and Rise of Tomb Raider.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #629 on: January 23, 2017, 09:36:59 PM »
Proud dad stopping in to announce that my son is Top 500 in Overwatch for the second season in a row.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

(New video up soon at link in my sig.)

Awesome!

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #630 on: January 26, 2017, 10:06:46 AM »

Not implying anything. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a system that is locked to a limited number of titles.

If you have the resources and the interest to invest in both, more power to you!

Gaming is one area that I'm probably not 'Mustachian'.  I tend to favor PC gaming because game deals are very easy to find.  However, the obvious downside is that money spent on a gaming PC far exceeds any console. 

For instance, here is my current build :

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/TCJ8TW

As you can see..not cheap.  However, it is a hobby of mine and I found it fun to do the build!

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #631 on: January 26, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »

Gaming is one area that I'm probably not 'Mustachian'.  I tend to favor PC gaming because game deals are very easy to find.  However, the obvious downside is that money spent on a gaming PC far exceeds any console. 

As you can see..not cheap.  However, it is a hobby of mine and I found it fun to do the build!

Ironically, I am looking into getting another XBOX 360 ever since I discovered that it's like the best streaming device ever! Better than a Chomecast,  a WDTV-live or a steam link, anyway.

The best part is that there are literally hundreds of 360s on my local BST board and I can get one with a bunch of games and accessories for peanuts.

I haven't played the console in 3-4 years but I now use it everyday for streaming.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #632 on: January 26, 2017, 01:08:49 PM »
Resident evil 7 - biohazard

I haven't been playing it since I don't have it but watching it being played at my buddies house last night, holy crap that game looks super creepy ! I played it for about 5 mins and the sense of immediate dread is literally terrifying. I can't imagine that game with a vr headset.

Crap your pants for sure ! lol

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #633 on: January 26, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »

Ironically, I am looking into getting another XBOX 360 ever since I discovered that it's like the best streaming device ever! Better than a Chomecast,  a WDTV-live or a steam link, anyway.

The best part is that there are literally hundreds of 360s on my local BST board and I can get one with a bunch of games and accessories for peanuts.

I haven't played the console in 3-4 years but I now use it everyday for streaming.

Ya..ironically, I seem to be using my gaming PC more for streaming lately than anything else.  I have the PC connected to a 1080p projector.

One thing I have found that I really like is the 'X-Ray' feature of amazon streaming.  If you move the mouse it overlays trivia and other info about what you are streaming.   As far as I'm aware, viewing via PC is just about the only way to use the 'X-ray' features.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201423010

Very odd...it looks like the only console that supports it is the Wii U!

Anyway...back to gaming.   I usually play 'open world' games like Far Cry, Skyrim, Witcher 3, Assassins Creed, etc...

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #634 on: January 27, 2017, 11:07:50 PM »

Nice looking PC!  At least the nice thing is that you'll be able to get many years of use out of it if you want to.  Down the line upgrading just the GPU is easy and prevents having to replace most the parts.  I've got an i5-3570k build from about 4.5 years ago and with a newer GPU it's still going strong on the latest games.  The plateauing of CPU power really gave longevity to the older overclocked i5 and i7 k models!

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #635 on: January 30, 2017, 01:08:26 PM »
Went and bought The Last of Us. I realize how late I am. Got stuck on a bitching level where I realized I had absolutely misused all my Molotov cocktails so now I'm completely stuck. I might have to replay the previous level and see if I can hoard those Molotov cocktails.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #636 on: January 30, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »
Went and bought The Last of Us. I realize how late I am. Got stuck on a bitching level where I realized I had absolutely misused all my Molotov cocktails so now I'm completely stuck. I might have to replay the previous level and see if I can hoard those Molotov cocktails.

That is such a fantastic game.  I stopped console gaming for a while and then got sidetracked by the Uncharted series -- I may just start The Last of Us over again from the beginning (I hadn't finished it when the PS4 fell by the wayside).

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #637 on: January 30, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
I've been playing WoW on and off for years now. I was a avid player in Cataclysm but never really tried raiding or serious PvP. I even didn't buy Legion, I'm waiting for a sale. I'm now doing the achievments, trying to drop rare mounts, pet battles, etc. Any WoW players?

I also enjoy Stardew Valley very much, a great game to relax and do whatever you want.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #638 on: February 01, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »
I also enjoy Stardew Valley very much, a great game to relax and do whatever you want.

I need to get Stardew Valley at some point, everyone I know who has played it loves it.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #639 on: February 01, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »
I've been playing WoW on and off for years now. I was a avid player in Cataclysm but never really tried raiding or serious PvP. I even didn't buy Legion, I'm waiting for a sale. I'm now doing the achievments, trying to drop rare mounts, pet battles, etc. Any WoW players?

Back in the good old days, when Ragnaros was "it". 40 person raids were awesome.

whitedott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #640 on: February 01, 2017, 01:59:10 PM »

Back in the good old days, when Ragnaros was "it". 40 person raids were awesome.

Molten Core, Nefarian's Raid, Naxxramus, and Ahn Qiraj were awesome 40-man raid experiences. The cut down to 25 for raids certainly made things a lot more reasonable, but it lost that magic of having 40 people working together on those vanilla raids.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #641 on: February 01, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »

My favorite memories in gaming by far involved the early 40 man raids in WoW. Back before it was obvious what a ridiculous grind it all would become, everything felt so epic and fresh. Open world PvP shenanigans surrounding Azuregos and Kazzak spawns were also awesome. Good times. For me this feeling lasted approximately through my guild's completion of Ahn'Qiraj. My disillusionment started around the time Naxx came out and while I poked back into the game for a few months here and there all the way until Cataclysm, the magic was lost long before. Probably done with MMOs forever, but I don't regret (most) of my time in WoW.

I need to get Stardew Valley at some point, everyone I know who has played it loves it.

It really is terrific. Forgiving learning curve but highly satisfying. I got a good 70 hours out of it before I burned out. Well worth the price.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #642 on: February 01, 2017, 03:09:10 PM »
Probably done with MMOs forever, but I don't regret (most) of my time in WoW.

Same. Killing Rag was great! Raiding the Core 8 times in order to get enough points to win a bid on one piece of loot was not.

Looking back, I can't imagine why Blizzard thought 40 was the right number for end-game raiding.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #643 on: February 01, 2017, 07:29:38 PM »

That is such a fantastic game.  I stopped console gaming for a while and then got sidetracked by the Uncharted series -- I may just start The Last of Us over again from the beginning (I hadn't finished it when the PS4 fell by the wayside).
The Last of Us is probably one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. The gameplay wasn't the best, but the story telling and characters and storyline twists made it by far one of my favorite games. It's like that favorite movie that I could watch it over and over again. (Played the game through twice, that was more than enough for me.) Absolutly would recommend it to everyone. I was pretty disappointed in UC4, in comparison. Excited for LoU 2 though.

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #644 on: February 01, 2017, 08:49:15 PM »

Molten Core, Nefarian's Raid, Naxxramus, and Ahn Qiraj were awesome 40-man raid experiences. The cut down to 25 for raids certainly made things a lot more reasonable, but it lost that magic of having 40 people working together on those vanilla raids.

Yeah, every player who played vanilla told me how the raids were awesome. I would've love to experience it! Unfortunately, I'm alone doing the old raids right now and just dropped a rare mount (yay!). Probably won't renew my subscription until I want to play again in a few weeks, I usually play a bit every day then get bored xD.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #645 on: February 02, 2017, 06:56:28 AM »
I'm leveling on a Vanilla WoW server with some coworkers, it's really fun! I don't know that I want to re-live 40man raiding but I really enjoy going through the old content. Going from 1 to 60 was actually challenging and rewarding. My sweet spots were BC and especially Wrath end-game, so at some point I may try to find a server running those. I haven't played retail WoW since Cataclysm launched and don't have any plans to renew.

whitedott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #646 on: February 02, 2017, 07:29:08 AM »

Same. Killing Rag was great! Raiding the Core 8 times in order to get enough points to win a bid on one piece of loot was not.

Looking back, I can't imagine why Blizzard thought 40 was the right number for end-game raiding.

Well at the time the blueprint for MMOs was Everquest and in comparison to that, vanilla WoW was downright friendly. I barely batted an eye at the prospect of spending an entire Saturday working through Molten Core with only a fringe possibility of getting something out of it. That was just the way things were, and it was fun

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #647 on: February 02, 2017, 07:51:27 AM »

Well at the time the blueprint for MMOs was Everquest and in comparison to that, vanilla WoW was downright friendly. I barely batted an eye at the prospect of spending an entire Saturday working through Molten Core with only a fringe possibility of getting something out of it. That was just the way things were, and it was fun.

I'm more of a single player type gamer..but like the idea of MMOs ( constantly updated, live events, etc... ).

With the recent changes, I've heard that Elder Scrolls Online is doable solo and is becoming more like a traditional Elder Scrolls game. Have any of you tried this?  I love the Elder Scrolls series and was thinking of giving ESO a shot.  Looks like they also have a 'Morrowind' addon coming that looks cool.

The only other MMO I've enjoyed is Guild Wars II....because much of it can be done solo. They also have many live-event quests where 'join in' with others for a short time...but then go your separate ways.

whitedott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #648 on: February 02, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »

Well at the time the blueprint for MMOs was Everquest and in comparison to that, vanilla WoW was downright friendly. I barely batted an eye at the prospect of spending an entire Saturday working through Molten Core with only a fringe possibility of getting something out of it. That was just the way things were, and it was fun.

I'm more of a single player type gamer..but like the idea of MMOs ( constantly updated, live events, etc... ).

With the recent changes, I've heard that Elder Scrolls Online is doable solo and is becoming more like a traditional Elder Scrolls game. Have any of you tried this?  I love the Elder Scrolls series and was thinking of giving ESO a shot.  Looks like they also have a 'Morrowind' addon coming that looks cool.

The only other MMO I've enjoyed is Guild Wars II....because much of it can be done solo. They also have many live-event quests where 'join in' with others for a short time...but then go your separate ways.

I'd consider myself a pretty single-player type as well, but the cooperative nature of an MMO is really the draw of those types of games. I consider myself pretty introverted and even in those games, I remained pretty reserved and not especially social, but all the positive moments I've had with MMOs stem from the cooperative nature of it. The thing that I, and a few others have been talking about, these 40-man raids, were a blast because it was 40 people working together each serving a specific role collaborating to take down something huge.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #649 on: February 02, 2017, 01:03:33 PM »

Played vanilla back in high school in a mostly-adult guild. Finishing MC and BWL with them were some of my favorite times gaming ever. Went off to college and lost all the spare time and had to step back. Played for a bit when Cataclysm came out but I'm pretty much done for good I think, not enough free time to really make any progress anymore. I consider myself lucky if I get to put 10 minutes into Pokémon Sun on any given day (about halfway through the main game now, started right before the new year).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!