Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 781512 times)

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #400 on: July 07, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »
Oh God!  I hope my savings are enough, because I'm gonna get fired.  Pokemon Go came out yesterday and there is a gym at the end of the hall in my building.

One in my building as well!

stupid battery hog though, about 45 minutes = 1/2 my bat life. Also realized its not a terribly exciting experience. :/

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #401 on: July 07, 2016, 02:33:23 PM »
Oh God!  I hope my savings are enough, because I'm gonna get fired.  Pokemon Go came out yesterday and there is a gym at the end of the hall in my building.

stupid battery hog though, about 45 minutes = 1/2 my bat life. Also realized its not a terribly exciting experience. :/

I'm having fun with it, but I don't expect it will be a game that I will play for very long unless they add some more depth to it.  I don't really like the way the gyms work.

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #402 on: July 07, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »
Picked up God of War III remastered since it's $10 at the playstation store right now.  Used to be an xbox guy so there's lots of PS4 exclusives that I've never played.  I like the cinematic, the way you kill bosses and stuff are pretty cool.  It seems to be very hack and slash though with not much strategy.  Either that or I don't know what I'm doing!

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #403 on: July 07, 2016, 04:14:31 PM »

I'm having fun with it, but I don't expect it will be a game that I will play for very long unless they add some more depth to it.  I don't really like the way the gyms work.

dag i kept thinking "at least the gyms will be more interesting?" still have another level to go, sounds like I shouldnt get my hopes up haha

ah well

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #404 on: July 07, 2016, 11:12:35 PM »
Picked up God of War III remastered since it's $10 at the playstation store right now.  Used to be an xbox guy so there's lots of PS4 exclusives that I've never played.  I like the cinematic, the way you kill bosses and stuff are pretty cool.  It seems to be very hack and slash though with not much strategy.  Either that or I don't know what I'm doing!

Excellent choice for game! You need to play Uncharted1-4 as well. The Ratchet and Clank games are fun too

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #405 on: July 08, 2016, 08:54:10 AM »

My office is literally underneath the gym in my building. Have you found that pokemon don't spawn nearby? When I was home, I had pokemon spawning in my range at a constant rate, but at work not a single one.
It seems like there tends to be more spawning in higher populated urban areas.  Maybe other people are catching the pokemon at your work? I'm not sure if the pokemon spawns are specific to each person, or if they're a shared network resource.  I can't seem to catch anything at home (I saw someone walking around the apartment complex this morning before work staring at her phone the constantly), but I get a steady stream at the office (lots of older folk who probably wouldn't know or care about Pokemon Go)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: July 08, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »

My office is literally underneath the gym in my building. Have you found that pokemon don't spawn nearby? When I was home, I had pokemon spawning in my range at a constant rate, but at work not a single one.
It seems like there tends to be more spawning in higher populated urban areas.  Maybe other people are catching the pokemon at your work? I'm not sure if the pokemon spawns are specific to each person, or if they're a shared network resource.  I can't seem to catch anything at home (I saw someone walking around the apartment complex this morning before work staring at her phone the constantly), but I get a steady stream at the office (lots of older folk who probably wouldn't know or care about Pokemon Go)

Haha came on here to mention Pokemon Go!  You guys already beat me to it.  No gyms at my work, but I sit in range of a Pokestop.  I got an egg out of it so far.  The pokestops are interesting, many are points of interests I would have never heard about cept for the game.  I'm interested to see what else I will find.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #407 on: July 08, 2016, 01:12:44 PM »

I get pokemon at work at random times, much more than at home.  I could beat the dang gym at the end of the hall except for the damn glitches and freezes in the game.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #408 on: July 08, 2016, 01:14:05 PM »

I work in an urban area and there are a lot of pokemon to catch when the game is working.

I was actually the gym leader for a brief time this morning at my train station stop :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:16:26 PM by BFGirl »

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #409 on: July 08, 2016, 03:12:48 PM »

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #410 on: July 08, 2016, 05:19:38 PM »

Excellent choice for game! You need to play Uncharted1-4 as well. The Ratchet and Clank games are fun too

I've finished Uncharted 1 & 2 (came with the PS4).  Just started 3 but put it down to play GoW III.  I also finished The Last of Us, which was amazing.

whitedragon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #411 on: July 11, 2016, 08:47:37 PM »
@Cyaphas

Awesome picture.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #412 on: July 17, 2016, 07:40:47 AM »
How on earth do people level up so fast in Pokémon Go? I spent some free time for three days walking around and catching, even evolving a few. Thought I was ready to take on a rival gym with my CP 300 Vaporeon. It was guarded by a CP 1000-something Jolteon.

Frugal D

• Stubble
« Reply #413 on: July 17, 2016, 09:32:16 AM »
Have you guys seen this? http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic
discuss.

I can't wait for this. My only complaint is that it doesn't look like Duck Hunt will be included. Still worth every penny.

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #414 on: July 17, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
RimWorld is pretty cool. It's a game similar to the playstyle of Dwarf Fortress, but themed in western/Firefly style.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #415 on: July 17, 2016, 08:10:08 PM »
Have you guys seen this? http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic
discuss.

I can't wait for this. My only complaint is that it doesn't look like Duck Hunt will be included. Still worth every penny.

Yeah. NOt enough CRTs still in circulation for it to be worth it... Still excited though.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: July 18, 2016, 08:22:04 AM »
How on earth do people level up so fast in Pokémon Go? I spent some free time for three days walking around and catching, even evolving a few. Thought I was ready to take on a rival gym with my CP 300 Vaporeon. It was guarded by a CP 1000-something Jolteon.

The general strategy is to use accumulate lots of candy for common 3 stage evolutions (caterpie, weedil, pidgey), use a lucky egg and evolve them all at once. You'll get 1k xp per evolution. I have about 15 pidgeys, 10 weedils, and 10 caterpies waiting to evolve.

You get a lucky egg once you reach lvl 9.

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #417 on: July 18, 2016, 10:43:46 AM »
RimWorld is pretty cool. It's a game similar to the playstyle of Dwarf Fortress, but themed in western/Firefly style.

A Dwarf Fort reference.....Yes, the hardest, most mind numbingly frustrating game that you can never stop playing.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #418 on: July 18, 2016, 12:42:33 PM »

The more you catch, the faster you can level up because you get stardust and candy when you catch the pokemon.  Also, there are a lot more pokestops and pokemon in downtown metropolitan areas where there are a lot of landmarks and buildings.  In my downtown area, a lot of times someone is using a module at a pokestop which attracts more pokemon to an area for everyone to catch.  Incense works the same way, but it is only for the person who uses it.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #419 on: July 21, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »
My apartment is within reach of a Pokestop where other regularly place lures, very convenient!

Unfortunately, since I haven't been playing every day, my collection of Pokemon is falling quickly behind the level they need to be to take over gyms. I did get lucky today and found an out of the way gym that I was able to (briefly) take - and then left a very low level Magicarp there for my own amusement. I'm sure whoever came there after me was very pleased about that!

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #420 on: July 21, 2016, 11:23:34 PM »
Whenever I see people playing Pokemon Go, it reminds me of this Star Trek NG episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ih-sm6hxA

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #421 on: July 22, 2016, 08:40:32 AM »
Whenever I see people playing Pokemon Go, it reminds me of this Star Trek NG episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ih-sm6hxA

I don't even have to click on the link to know which one you are talking about, lol!

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #422 on: July 22, 2016, 04:26:45 PM »
Playing a game called Evolve which went Free to Play a few weeks ago.
Got to chat with some of the dev team for the game from Turtle Rock Studios that play a few times a week. Very cool people!
Very fun actiony game, although it always feel unbalanced for one side or the other depending on how much teamwork there is.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #423 on: July 25, 2016, 03:58:21 PM »
PCMR4Life. Just finished up the Witcher 3 Dlc (so good). Waiting now for Civ 6 and Torment. In the meantime I'll hiatus unless I can get Xcom 2 at a deep discount.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #424 on: July 25, 2016, 08:35:26 PM »
PCMR4Life. Just finished up the Witcher 3 Dlc (so good). Waiting now for Civ 6 and Torment. In the meantime I'll hiatus unless I can get Xcom 2 at a deep discount.

I'm guessing Civ 6 isn't going to be good until maybe the 2nd or 3rd expansion. I'm going to be waiting and reading reviews before I pull the trigger.

ElGrillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #425 on: July 31, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »

I'm guessing Civ 6 isn't going to be good until maybe the 2nd or 3rd expansion. I'm going to be waiting and reading reviews before I pull the trigger.

I'm thinking the same, however I've been a huge fan of the franchise since Civ 4 so I'll probably pre-order 6 just to enjoy it right away.

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #426 on: August 18, 2016, 06:40:23 PM »
Bought Battlefield 4 from playstation store for $5.  Also Assassin's Creed Syndicate for $17 from Newegg w/ free 2 day shipping.  I try to buy stuff for under $25, $30 if it's something I'm really interested in.  Can't remember the last time I paid full or near full price.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #427 on: August 18, 2016, 08:53:12 PM »
I just realized a new Walking Dead came out. I love tell tale games. Playing Walking Dead Michonne when not trolling here or the Olympics

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #428 on: August 19, 2016, 06:45:07 AM »
I am SO INTERESTED in No Man's Sky, but my craptop won't support it. By the time I upgrade computers (in a few years, barring the unforeseen) the game will cost less. In the meantime I will obsessively read reviews.

Has anyone tried it?
From what I've been reading most people are pretty disappointed.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #429 on: August 19, 2016, 07:42:07 AM »
I used to play Everquest II and Starcraft.  When I FIRE I may look into playing more online games.  I kind of miss them but then life got in the way.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #430 on: August 19, 2016, 09:47:28 AM »
I am SO INTERESTED in No Man's Sky, but my craptop won't support it. By the time I upgrade computers (in a few years, barring the unforeseen) the game will cost less. In the meantime I will obsessively read reviews.

Has anyone tried it?

I'm dying to play this. I've read how much you'll like the game depends on what you actually like. If you're looking for battles or a plot heavy game, this isn't for you. If you're interested in exploring at your own pace and discovering new things, you'd enjoy it. I'm forcing myself to NOT get it on Steam yet - one, I'm not sure my desktop can handle it, and two, $60. Must... not... buy...

The first Mass Effect is on sale for $5 on steam though. I only tried it while ridiculously sick with the flu and on meds, so the game made zero sense to me. I LOVE Dragon Age, so I'm definitely interested in trying Mass Effect again.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #431 on: August 19, 2016, 09:50:54 AM »
I've heard No Man's Sky has been some pretty bad reviews so far. If a game is super poorly reviewed I usually turn my nose up. It just can't be worth $60.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #432 on: August 19, 2016, 09:59:54 AM »

Has anyone tried it?

I'm dying to play this. I've read how much you'll like the game depends on what you actually like. If you're looking for battles or a plot heavy game, this isn't for you. If you're interested in exploring at your own pace and discovering new things, you'd enjoy it. I'm forcing myself to NOT get it on Steam yet - one, I'm not sure my desktop can handle it, and two, $60. Must... not... buy...

The first Mass Effect is on sale for $5 on steam though. I only tried it while ridiculously sick with the flu and on meds, so the game made zero sense to me. I LOVE Dragon Age, so I'm definitely interested in trying Mass Effect again.

I've heard the exploration in No Man's Sky sucks as well. Here's a breakdown of a lot of the problems:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/4y6nyc/no_mans_sky_how_the_media_hyped_the_game_and_now/d6lnfef

My wife really liked the Mass Effect series.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #433 on: August 19, 2016, 01:09:16 PM »

Has anyone tried it?

The Kotaku review made it sound like my kind of game, once the bugs are worked out. Less goal-oriented and more imaginative and discovery- oriented. I assume the bugs will be worked out by the time it's a price I'm willing to pay. ;)

I am curious about mass effect. I, too, love dragon age. are they aimed at the same kind of gamer?

Mass Effect was an absolutely incredible series. 10/10. It's more of a RPG-lite when it comes to mechanics (gameplay is closer to a shooter, but I am not a huge FPS fan and I still loved Mass Effect), especially the second two games, which drop some of the RPG elements in the first. All of this is to say that the appeal is somewhat different from Dragon Age, but the story is epic and the game is extremely fun. Personally, I really liked both series (DA and ME).

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #434 on: August 19, 2016, 10:44:59 PM »
Enderal - a total conversion mod for Skyrim. New story, new land, new game. I'm shocked that this free game is so incredible.

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #435 on: August 23, 2016, 08:07:18 AM »
Enderal - a total conversion mod for Skyrim. New story, new land, new game. I'm shocked that this free game is so incredible.

Thanks, I'm going to have to check this out.

Recently got "Ant Queen" because I was feeling nostalgic for the good old Sim Ant days. It isn't a great game, but not bad and did remind me of Sim Ant. I wouldn't recommend paying full price for it, but if you see it at 50% off and were a big Sim Ant fan you'll probably get a few hours of entertainment from it.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #436 on: August 23, 2016, 11:45:57 AM »
I just realized a new Walking Dead came out. I love tell tale games. Playing Walking Dead Michonne when not trolling here or the Olympics

I loved the first 2 Walking Dead games, had no idea this was coming out. Awesome!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #437 on: August 24, 2016, 07:41:06 AM »

Has anyone tried it?

The Kotaku review made it sound like my kind of game, once the bugs are worked out. Less goal-oriented and more imaginative and discovery- oriented. I assume the bugs will be worked out by the time it's a price I'm willing to pay. ;)

I am curious about mass effect. I, too, love dragon age. are they aimed at the same kind of gamer?

Mass Effect was an absolutely incredible series. 10/10. It's more of a RPG-lite when it comes to mechanics (gameplay is closer to a shooter, but I am not a huge FPS fan and I still loved Mass Effect), especially the second two games, which drop some of the RPG elements in the first. All of this is to say that the appeal is somewhat different from Dragon Age, but the story is epic and the game is extremely fun. Personally, I really liked both series (DA and ME).

My draw to Mass Effect is that it's from the same developers as Dragon Age, and has a similar writing/plot/characterization style. One's swords and magic and the other is space fighting, so I doubt the combat is similar (which is my least favorite part of video games, hence my attraction to No Man's Sky), but I've been told the overall spirit of the two series is very similar. I absolutely LOVE the characters of DA and their development, so I'm hoping Mass Effect can get me as interested as well.

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #438 on: August 24, 2016, 08:57:55 AM »
Lots of League of Legends.  I play with my husband and a bunch of friends.  We all go on voice chat with each other and that makes it much more social.

I played a tiny bit of overwatch but honestly my reaction time is not fast enough for FPS type games anymore.  I can tell that I'm older and way past my Halo playing prime.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: August 24, 2016, 09:51:08 AM »
Lots of League of Legends.  I play with my husband and a bunch of friends.  We all go on voice chat with each other and that makes it much more social.

I played a tiny bit of overwatch but honestly my reaction time is not fast enough for FPS type games anymore.  I can tell that I'm older and way past my Halo playing prime.

MOBAs are great once you get past the learning curve, although they can also be a huge time suck. I used to play Dota 2 almost exclusively. Put in more hours than I care to admit, but can't beat the value given that I spent $0 on it! 

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #440 on: August 24, 2016, 10:24:47 AM »

MOBAs are great once you get past the learning curve, although they can also be a huge time suck. I used to play Dota 2 almost exclusively. Put in more hours than I care to admit, but can't beat the value given that I spent $0 on it!
I feel the same way about MMOs.  League of Legends used to be my go-to video game for years (it was Runescape for years before that).  I met probably 80% of my college friends in some way through the initial few people I played League with in the dorms.

I know a ton of people who are getting back into World of Warcraft because of the new expansion and are saving me a guild spot, but I just can't bring myself to shell out the money for the game plus subscription when I'd have to spend so much time just catching up/grinding and learning the game.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #441 on: August 24, 2016, 10:50:05 AM »
(it was Runescape for years before that).

Oh heyyy Runescape buddy. Yeah, I still play. Been about 11 or 12 years now :/ I buy their year membership every December as a Christmas present to myself. I joined a clan and actually made online friends that I play with, but I'll catch myself playing on a nice sunny day and I think - why? It's like a loser boyfriend that just won't go away, but I can't help it, I love it.

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #442 on: August 24, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »

Great except for the skins ;-)

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/06/10

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: August 24, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »

Oh heyyy Runescape buddy. Yeah, I still play. Been about 11 or 12 years now :/ I buy their year membership every December as a Christmas present to myself. I joined a clan and actually made online friends that I play with, but I'll catch myself playing on a nice sunny day and I think - why? It's like a loser boyfriend that just won't go away, but I can't help it, I love it.

Hey there, add me! RSN: Cwadda

I only play Old School though!

:D

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: August 24, 2016, 12:12:38 PM »

Great except for the skins ;-)

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/06/10

Yeah it's crazy how much people CAN spend. But we're all mustachians here, so hopefully we've conquered the impulse purchase instinct that drives MOBA profits :)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #445 on: August 25, 2016, 08:00:21 AM »

I miss the days of Old School! You have to pay for that separately though, right (if you want to play current and old school, I mean)? Don't get me wrong, I love the GE and how easy it made certain skills, but it definitely got rid of a lot of the challenge. I have an ironman account (free) for when I feel like slumming it. Did you try their newer version (Darkscape I think it was called)? I think I spent about two hours on that, got mad every time I got killed roasting shrimp, and rage quit. I'm Lisiera!

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #446 on: August 25, 2016, 08:39:40 AM »
Well, after Christmas I'll be playing the re-released original Nintendo! 

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #447 on: August 25, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »

I miss the days of Old School! You have to pay for that separately though, right (if you want to play current and old school, I mean)? Don't get me wrong, I love the GE and how easy it made certain skills, but it definitely got rid of a lot of the challenge. I have an ironman account (free) for when I feel like slumming it. Did you try their newer version (Darkscape I think it was called)? I think I spent about two hours on that, got mad every time I got killed roasting shrimp, and rage quit. I'm Lisiera!
Must...resist...temptation to boot it back up.....

I played for a solid 6-7 years or so I think, but I stopped playing maybe another 6-7 ago.  I still remember the very first thing to ever kill me: the lvl 5 Highwayman on a road heading west from Lumbridge lol.  Looking back, a lot of the tweaks they made to the game that ticked me off when I was younger make a lot of sense to me now (the rift you have to jump over to get into the wildy and the GE being two that come to mind).  I can understand why they imposed trade restrictions, but I still think it was too heavy handed and I don't agree with it.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #448 on: August 25, 2016, 11:11:38 AM »

Old School has both F2P and P2P. They also have the bond system like normal RuneScape. I haven't tried Darkscape.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #449 on: August 25, 2016, 11:17:26 AM »

Must...resist...temptation to boot it back up.....

I played for a solid 6-7 years or so I think, but I stopped playing maybe another 6-7 ago.  I still remember the very first thing to ever kill me: the lvl 5 Highwayman on a road heading west from Lumbridge lol.  Looking back, a lot of the tweaks they made to the game that ticked me off when I was younger make a lot of sense to me now (the rift you have to jump over to get into the wildy and the GE being two that come to mind).  I can understand why they imposed trade restrictions, but I still think it was too heavy handed and I don't agree with it.

Come to the dark side.... trade restrictions have been lifted :) Those wizards south of Varrok always got me - I'd walk around to the west entrance just to avoid them for the longest time.

Old School has both F2P and P2P. They also have the bond system like normal RuneScape. I haven't tried Darkscape.

Well damn now I have to try Old School again. I remember when it first reintroduced - I sat south of Al Kharid with a dozen other players working on fishing... brought back so many memories from when I first started playing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!