Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 397087 times)

Feivel2000

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1600 on: August 01, 2020, 10:12:05 AM »
For Netflix and Amazon Video, you get a cinema or a living room with a big TV.

More generic would probably something like Virtual Desktop:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/911715622255585/

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1601 on: August 04, 2020, 07:37:32 AM »
Sending 1080p to a 4K screen is perfectly fine, it's an exact 4x scale. It's pretty much impossible to find a good TV without a 4K resolution these days. What is important for text readability is that the TV supports 4:4:4 input.
Yeah, if it does integer scaling. If not you just get a more squishy picture than if you would use a 1080p screen. Because it does NOT simply do x4 (which would be integer scaling). That is the core of the problem.
Some do it good, others not. It is highly dependend on the exact model.
I just looked closer at my 4K TV and noticed computer text is slightly blurry..... Damn, I stand corrected. Looks crisp if I send a 4K signal directly from my computer but that's not ideal for a variety of reasons for me right now (can't use old receiver, video card struggles, Linux inconsistent handling of window scaling).

I guess the easy solution (for me) might be to find a receiver that does integer upscaling. Any idea how to find one?

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1602 on: August 04, 2020, 10:58:09 AM »
Sending 1080p to a 4K screen is perfectly fine, it's an exact 4x scale. It's pretty much impossible to find a good TV without a 4K resolution these days. What is important for text readability is that the TV supports 4:4:4 input.
Yeah, if it does integer scaling. If not you just get a more squishy picture than if you would use a 1080p screen. Because it does NOT simply do x4 (which would be integer scaling). That is the core of the problem.
I just looked closer at my 4K TV and noticed computer text is slightly blurry..... Damn, I stand corrected. Looks crisp if I send a 4K signal directly from my computer but that's not ideal for a variety of reasons for me right now (can't use old receiver, video card struggles, Linux inconsistent handling of window scaling).

I guess the easy solution (for me) might be to find a receiver that does integer upscaling. Any idea how to find one?
I have no idea i the fields of TV, but I would guess nowhere.
Integer scaling is just coming to gaming graphic cards (gamers complained that their 4K games where crisp on their $500 card, but when they had the Desktop on with normal HD to avoid tiny letters at older programs is was blurry).

It makes sense if you know the internals of GPUs - they run everything on floating points. Integrating Integer needs additional silicon or some heavy coding to "simulate" it.
I doubt you get this on consumer's TV electronics. But maybe I am wrong, I really have no idea. I never heard any "can do integer scaling" advertised, but that isn't actually something any TV ad would ever have, because nobody knows about it.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1603 on: August 04, 2020, 11:57:37 AM »

Integer scaling is just coming to gaming graphic cards (gamers complained that their 4K games where crisp on their $500 card, but when they had the Desktop on with normal HD to avoid tiny letters at older programs is was blurry).

It makes sense if you know the internals of GPUs - they run everything on floating points. Integrating Integer needs additional silicon or some heavy coding to "simulate" it.
I doubt you get this on consumer's TV electronics. But maybe I am wrong, I really have no idea. I never heard any "can do integer scaling" advertised, but that isn't actually something any TV ad would ever have, because nobody knows about it.
I did some internet searching myself and could hardly find anything. I guess there might have been some Panasonic TVs that would do it but I don't think Panasonic even sells TVs anymore. I found some HDMI upscalers (small stand-alone boxes) but none of them looked like they could do integer/nearest-neighbor scaling. I guess it just sucks trying to use a 4K TV as a 1080p computer monitor.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1604 on: August 04, 2020, 01:49:13 PM »

I did some internet searching myself and could hardly find anything. I guess there might have been some Panasonic TVs that would do it but I don't think Panasonic even sells TVs anymore. I found some HDMI upscalers (small stand-alone boxes) but none of them looked like they could do integer/nearest-neighbor scaling. I guess it just sucks trying to use a 4K TV as a 1080p computer monitor.
I guess I could get a video card for my computer that supports integer scaling (e.g. AMD RX 5600 XT). I wonder if that feature works on Linux...

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1605 on: August 04, 2020, 02:57:18 PM »
Been learning / playing with BeamNG with our kids. Tons of mods to test out just a click away.

Chases, stunts, crashes, exploring. Any damaged cars are repaired in a click of a button. Lots of cars and modified cars to choose from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_I5g-Rdp7Y
https://youtu.be/OwsGIazYQsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLzo2PCmCpg

Minecraft is STILL a big deal with our kids. Best purchase ever. 

Our older wants me to play Last of Us and Red Dead II.
I'm not a big gamer but I'll start playing soon as I get caught up on other tasks. Bonding moments.

We have a warmed over four year old Dell XPS PC and PS4.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1606 on: August 04, 2020, 09:37:34 PM »

I had a Lenovo thinkpad -DisplayPort-HDMI cable hooked up to a Visio D40u-D1 40Ē4K monitor and it worked fine at 1080p

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1607 on: August 05, 2020, 07:21:02 AM »

I had a Lenovo thinkpad -DisplayPort-HDMI cable hooked up to a Visio D40u-D1 40Ē4K monitor and it worked fine at 1080p

"Works fine" is what I have now. It's on close inspection that you see individual pixels are slightly blurred. And general difficulty reading text.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1608 on: August 05, 2020, 11:03:40 AM »

"Works fine" is what I have now. It's on close inspection that you see individual pixels are slightly blurred. And general difficulty reading text.

Yep, running 1080p in a 4K monitor will do that.   My 40" monitor I ran at about 30 inches away.  The Visio did a good job of upscaling, but if you pixel peep you can still tell the difference.

salt cured

• Stubble
« Reply #1609 on: August 15, 2020, 08:26:33 AM »
I 100%'d Guacamelee on PS4 over the course of a week or two. Love love love this game. I'm going to get the sequel when the price drops again--has anyone played it on the Switch undocked? I think I'd prefer to have it on Switch but worry that the d-pad isn't the best for it.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1610 on: September 02, 2020, 01:34:23 AM »
Guys, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is the real deal. My game of the year. I flew a Cessna from a big city airport, to over my house, to overshoot my local airport`s airstrip, and landed in a field a mile past it.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1611 on: September 02, 2020, 04:27:08 AM »
Guys, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is the real deal. My game of the year. I flew a Cessna from a big city airport, to over my house, to overshoot my local airport`s airstrip, and landed in a field a mile past it.

I got American Truck Simulator a while back (I love driving, I just find it very relaxing), but it doesn't *quite* do what I want. I actually want a "driving around in a car" sim. Flight Sim looks amazing, I was showing videos to a friend who had it decades back. But you need a pretty powerful PC to run it I think.

But a true driving sim, based on Maps data? You can get traffic flows right, you could put all sorts in. Different modes for how much speeding you're allowed... Just chilling out in the car (without having to buy fuel or do maintenance... or if you do in game, ok, but whatever).

salt cured

• Stubble
« Reply #1612 on: September 02, 2020, 06:55:26 AM »
I 100%'d Guacamelee on PS4 over the course of a week or two. Love love love this game. I'm going to get the sequel when the price drops again--has anyone played it on the Switch undocked? I think I'd prefer to have it on Switch but worry that the d-pad isn't the best for it.

Picked up Guacamelee 2, Gris, and Lara Croft Go on PS4 for about $15 total. Looking forward to digging in.

Arbitrage

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1613 on: September 02, 2020, 08:51:06 AM »
Playing free Epic Store games.  Lately, I've really been enjoying Remnant: From the Ashes.  Souls-like with guns.  You could certainly complain about the ways that it falls short, but as a big Dark Souls fan, it does help scratch that itch.

Sanitary Engineer

• Bristles
« Reply #1614 on: September 02, 2020, 09:18:52 AM »
I started The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt a few nights ago.  I like the game play and the story.  I am on XBox X maybe?  Is that I a thing?  I didn't buy the console.  My screen is kind of far away and too high, so I can't see the game all that well.  I don't know if I will play again unless I can figure out how to play on a better situated screen.  So far it isn't worth the loss of sleep.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1615 on: September 02, 2020, 09:56:50 AM »
I started The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt a few nights ago.  I like the game play and the story.  I am on XBox X maybe?  Is that I a thing?  I didn't buy the console.  My screen is kind of far away and too high, so I can't see the game all that well.  I don't know if I will play again unless I can figure out how to play on a better situated screen.  So far it isn't worth the loss of sleep.

Do you mean that you don't like the point of view in the game (it's 3rd person view and not 1st person like many shooting games).

This is a reddit discussion about the PS4 camera, but I think it's probably the same for XBOX. Doesn't look like there's much you can do to change it.

I played on PS4 and didn't think it was in a weird place. But I much prefer 3rd person to 1st person because I don't like how 1st person artificially limits your peripheral vision.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/463x9y/witcher_3_default_camera_position/

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #1616 on: September 02, 2020, 02:58:36 PM »
Found my old 360 in my parents basement in a box, tickled it still works and playing Fallout 3 - still holds up!

E.T.

• Stubble
« Reply #1617 on: September 02, 2020, 09:30:35 PM »
Started playing Faster Than Light again with the free expansion. I keep coming back to that game but I still haven't managed to beat the final ship.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1618 on: September 03, 2020, 09:53:18 AM »
Started playing Faster Than Light again with the free expansion. I keep coming back to that game but I still haven't managed to beat the final ship.
Well, I was lucky (which is probably unlucky) and got through the game on first try.

Currently playing two of the age-long games: Stellaris and X4 again. This time Stellaris with a swarm. Surprisingly bad with habitats for their lack of services.
But in case you got out the start phase with a few extra planets, the devouring swarm really gets unstoppable. Well, others too, but the swarm is not slowed by influence costs since there are none or war ends since you get the stars immediately.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #1619 on: September 03, 2020, 10:30:03 AM »
Guys, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is the real deal. My game of the year.

I want in on this action very badly. Not too interested in spending the money on a high spec PC rig to run this at itís highest settings...rather, Iím hoping that the next-generation Xbox can run it smoothly at 4K resolution...Microsoft has made it clear itís coming to the Xbox platform at some point. If the new beastly console canít do it proper justice, PC it shall be. Just watching YouTube footage of the game, I am often transfixed by what I am seeing.

Sanitary Engineer

• Bristles
« Reply #1620 on: September 03, 2020, 11:14:16 AM »

Do you mean that you don't like the point of view in the game (it's 3rd person view and not 1st person like many shooting games).

This is a reddit discussion about the PS4 camera, but I think it's probably the same for XBOX. Doesn't look like there's much you can do to change it.

I played on PS4 and didn't think it was in a weird place. But I much prefer 3rd person to 1st person because I don't like how 1st person artificially limits your peripheral vision.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/463x9y/witcher_3_default_camera_position/

My issue is where I have mounted my TV on the wall.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1621 on: September 14, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
Playing free Epic Store games.  Lately, I've really been enjoying Remnant: From the Ashes.  Souls-like with guns.  You could certainly complain about the ways that it falls short, but as a big Dark Souls fan, it does help scratch that itch.

Really enjoyed that game until I got to the first boss. I was in total disbelief by the difficulty. I rage quit and haven't returned.

I should add that I have beaten Dark Souls 1 -3, Nioh 1 + 2, yadda yadda. I thrive on difficulty. But not on the level of Remnant. That first boss felt insurmountable.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:27:04 PM by eljefe-speaks »

Arbitrage

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1622 on: September 15, 2020, 07:54:50 AM »

Really enjoyed that game until I got to the first boss. I was in total disbelief by the difficulty. I rage quit and haven't returned.

I should add that I have beaten Dark Souls 1 -3, Nioh 1 + 2, yadda yadda. I thrive on difficulty. But not on the level of Remnant. That first boss felt insurmountable.

Overall, I'd say the game is not as difficult as Dark Souls games, though that can change as you amp up the difficulty setting.  The 'first boss' can vary, and many bosses you won't actually fight in any particular playthrough (the game has much more randomness to it than similar games), but I suspect you ran into Gorefist - brute with a big sword who also summons exploding adds.  He's actually one of the more difficult bosses in the entire game; his attacks can certainly be learned and avoided, but the adds can make the fight brutal.  If you ever go back to the game, I'd recommend making sure to move around the arena when he goes into his add-summoning phase, and prioritize killing them or dodging their explosions while keeping your distance from the boss as much as possible.  He summons two adds, then two more each time, but doesn't continue to summon unless damaged further.

One good thing is that you only run into Gorefist on 50% of the playthroughs.  The alternative boss is quite a bit easier.  It's also possible your gear was under-leveled, though I suppose that early on perhaps not.  You just want to make sure you level your items evenly...it hinders you to to upgrade your favorite gun but then leave your other weapons and armor behind.  Enemies tend to scale with the level of your highest-upgraded piece of gear.  Also, pump that vigor trait to start the game.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1623 on: September 15, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »
Picked up Death Stranding.

I loved MGS on the PSX and PS2, so there is certainly *some* name recognition though I knew I wasn't buying a Metal Gear game.

So far... yeah not sure. Some of it is enjoyable, some is not really much fun. I'm having some trouble with suspension of disbelief - the setup just doesn't quite make sense. It doesn't hang together. So, I'll go along for the ride.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1624 on: September 15, 2020, 09:26:56 AM »
We got an Xbox One to help with being stuck at home during the pandemic. I really enjoyed a few games, but not too much. Star Wars Fallen Order was fantastic. If anyone has suggestions of similar games, I'm interested.

With my love of board games, I've played a lot of digital versions of board games lately. The two I've played the most have been Terraforming Mars & Root. They've been great.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1625 on: September 16, 2020, 03:05:58 AM »
Picked up Death Stranding.

I loved MGS on the PSX and PS2, so there is certainly *some* name recognition though I knew I wasn't buying a Metal Gear game.

So far... yeah not sure. Some of it is enjoyable, some is not really much fun. I'm having some trouble with suspension of disbelief - the setup just doesn't quite make sense. It doesn't hang together. So, I'll go along for the ride.

I just started Death Stranding too. I'm only a couple of hours in and am having similar WTF thoughts about the concept of the game, but it sure is pretty. At the very least, I can add it to my resume if ever I want a job at Fedex or DHL :)

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1626 on: September 16, 2020, 07:14:03 AM »

Overall, I'd say the game is not as difficult as Dark Souls games, though that can change as you amp up the difficulty setting.  The 'first boss' can vary, and many bosses you won't actually fight in any particular playthrough (the game has much more randomness to it than similar games), but I suspect you ran into Gorefist - brute with a big sword who also summons exploding adds.  He's actually one of the more difficult bosses in the entire game; his attacks can certainly be learned and avoided, but the adds can make the fight brutal.  If you ever go back to the game, I'd recommend making sure to move around the arena when he goes into his add-summoning phase, and prioritize killing them or dodging their explosions while keeping your distance from the boss as much as possible.  He summons two adds, then two more each time, but doesn't continue to summon unless damaged further.

One good thing is that you only run into Gorefist on 50% of the playthroughs.  The alternative boss is quite a bit easier.  It's also possible your gear was under-leveled, though I suppose that early on perhaps not.  You just want to make sure you level your items evenly...it hinders you to to upgrade your favorite gun but then leave your other weapons and armor behind.  Enemies tend to scale with the level of your highest-upgraded piece of gear.  Also, pump that vigor trait to start the game.

Thanks for the advice. You may have inspired me to go back in. I will say it has the most satisfying gun play in almost any game. They really nailed it.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #1627 on: September 16, 2020, 07:18:14 AM »
Star Wars Fallen Order was fantastic. If anyone has suggestions of similar games, I'm interested.

I haven't played Fallen Order, but I have heard the basic gameplay is heavily inspired by Dark Souls, only much easier. So you may enjoy Dark Souls 1-3, Nioh 1 -2, Bloodborne, and all the derivatives.