Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 246901 times)

OneCoolCat

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1200 on: January 04, 2019, 08:39:44 PM »
Currently play Dark Souls.  I'm a big fan of souls games but I never actually ventured into the souls series.  Platinumed Bloodborne and beat Demon's Souls and Nioh on NG+ and just now diving into Lordran!

I'm also a fan of soulsborne games! I'm playing DS3 right now. Nioh and Bloodborne were my first ones. I was excited about Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice until I saw it was more a stealth action game with no RPG stat elements.

I platinumed Dark Souls Remastered.  Loved it.  I'm doing Dark Souls 2 now.  Its good but I was more immersed into the first one. 

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1201 on: January 21, 2019, 07:41:10 AM »
I have started playing through Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (PS4). This is my third copy of Vesperia. I got all the achievements on the Xbox 360 version nearly a decade ago. Then I tried playing the PS3 version (Japanese import) and got pretty far (maybe 20% into the story?) despite taking forever translating stuff.

I am enjoying playing the game again and not stopping for a couple minutes every other line to translate. Vesperia is still my favorite Tales game.

GoingToMaine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1202 on: January 22, 2019, 08:38:13 AM »
I'm mostly a retro gamer.  That hobby isn't as cheap as it used to be but I've been finding good value in systems that are sort of middle aged.  They're old but not quite or just barely considered "retro."

For example, I picked up a PS2 with about 40 games for $45 the other day.  So I've been playing bits and pieces of all of those games.  I used to have a PS2 back in the day, so I'm reliving old favorites like GTA: Vice City, God of War, and some of the racing and wrestling games.  I need to get a decent controller for it as the one it came with is aftermarket junk, but everything else is great and exactly as I remember.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1203 on: January 22, 2019, 09:09:27 PM »
Just finished A Story About My Uncle, which was free on Steam, and quite enjoyed the jumping and swinging that the game entails.

I also just completed Yakuza Kiwami, a fighting style game I would not normally play but was a free game on PS+. It was quite cheesy at times and the fighting got a bit monotonous but the story was quite engaging and enjoyable.

Next up Steep, another freeby (see a pattern here?)

OneCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #1204 on: January 22, 2019, 09:16:24 PM »
If you guys like free games, Epic Games Launcher gives a free game away each week (I don't for how long).  Right now its What Remains of Edith Finch which I hear is a very good game.  You only have another day to grab it.  The other game I got from them was Subnautica, which I hear is good but I dont have alot of interest in it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:33:47 PM by OneCoolCat »

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
  • Spend less. Live more. SWAMI.
    • Just Stop Spending
« Reply #1205 on: January 23, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »
Recently forked over $20 for Overwatch to play with a bunch of friends. It's been great. The game was allegedly half off, but it's probably just BS advertising.

I've played The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on and off since it came out in 2011. And I've also played cs 1.6 and cs:go on and off forever. Talk about bang for your buck!

brandon1827

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1206 on: January 23, 2019, 01:46:56 PM »
I got Fallout 76 on a half-price sale and have been playing it for around 2 weeks. I love the resource gathering, as well as the mission aspect of the game.

@GoingToMaine I still have my original PS2 and God of War was one of my all time favorite games. A buddy I play Fallout with says they have all the prior God of War games on one disc for PS4...so I'll be on the lookout for that
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 03:12:19 PM by brandon1827 »

GoingToMaine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1207 on: January 23, 2019, 03:05:09 PM »
@GoingToMaine I still have my original PS2 and God of War was one of my all time favorite games. A buddy I play Fallout with says they have all the prior God of War games on one disc for PS4...so I'll be on the lookout for that
Nice!  I don't have a PS4 yet, but if I ever get one I'll have to remember that.  Those games are a blast.

I wish I still had my original PS2, but I'm taking the opportunity to rebuild my collection.  The ~40 games that came with this one include most of what I had plus a bunch that I had never played before.  Thankfully none of the games I had back in the day were rare, so I can find them again without much trouble or expense.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1208 on: January 23, 2019, 03:15:45 PM »
Playing Let’s Go, Eevee for the Switch. I’ve already put over 100 hours into the game. I enjoy hunting for shiny Pokémon, it’s got a very zen aspect to it like I imagine I’d get from fishing. Once I grow tired of this game (which doesn’t seem to be happening any time soon!) I’ll start on another. I have a few coworkers with Switch consoles, and since game data is now saved onto the console and not cartridge, I can borrow/trade games without worrying about anyone’s save data.

Maybe not the most Mustachian gaming, but it’s already gotten lots of use. My goal is to have an eventual overall cost of about $.10/hour plus whatever electricity it uses. I’m sure this will happen in the next two years, especially with a new Pokémon and Animal Crossing coming out later this year.

brandon1827

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1209 on: January 24, 2019, 07:02:34 AM »
My son got a Switch from his grandmother for Christmas but hasn't been very interested in it yet. I love the concept (and that I didn't have to buy it, lol) but I'm not sure why he's not into it.

@lexde What's the most inexpensive way you've found to get good games for it if you don't have lots of friends with that system?

In general, I think if you can purchase the console at a deep discount or get it as a gift, playing games on that would be an inexpensive hobby...especially when compared to other forms of entertainment. Not as cheap as reading a book or riding a bike, but if you're a gamer and really enjoy that as a primary form of entertainment, it seems to be on the lower end of the scale in terms of costs once the console is out of the way.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #1210 on: January 24, 2019, 08:34:20 AM »
I mostly play mobile games since they are generally setup to pop in and out in short bursts and that's all I really have in terms of time to game, but even that is limited to a few games - Pokemon Go and a wrestling game called "80's Mania Wrestling Returns", which is a (digital) card based game where all of the wrestlers are spoofs of either 80's wrestlers or pop culture icons. Its quite a bit of fun.

The last game I was playing on an actual system was Zelda - Twilight Princess for Wii, but I haven't touched it since the summer.

Sugaree

• Bristles
« Reply #1211 on: January 24, 2019, 08:38:07 AM »
I'm mostly a retro gamer.  That hobby isn't as cheap as it used to be but I've been finding good value in systems that are sort of middle aged.  They're old but not quite or just barely considered "retro."

For example, I picked up a PS2 with about 40 games for $45 the other day.  So I've been playing bits and pieces of all of those games.  I used to have a PS2 back in the day, so I'm reliving old favorites like GTA: Vice City, God of War, and some of the racing and wrestling games.  I need to get a decent controller for it as the one it came with is aftermarket junk, but everything else is great and exactly as I remember.

My kid wanted a Switch for xmas.  He had a lot of faith in Santa because he used his own money to go out and buy a game for it about two weeks before xmas day.  He got the switch, but he also got a whole retro gaming center containing all the old systems that have somehow survived all my moves (NES, SNES, PS2, XBox360, Wii, and there's an N64 around here somewhere that I can't currently put my hands on) plus one of those gaming chairs that DH picked up cheap somewhere and mulit colored lightstrips.  He...could care less about the retro games, but is absolutely glued to the Switch. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:40:31 AM by Sugaree »

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1212 on: January 24, 2019, 11:59:24 AM »
My son got a Switch from his grandmother for Christmas but hasn't been very interested in it yet. I love the concept (and that I didn't have to buy it, lol) but I'm not sure why he's not into it.

@lexde What's the most inexpensive way you've found to get good games for it if you don't have lots of friends with that system?

In general, I think if you can purchase the console at a deep discount or get it as a gift, playing games on that would be an inexpensive hobby...especially when compared to other forms of entertainment. Not as cheap as reading a book or riding a bike, but if you're a gamer and really enjoy that as a primary form of entertainment, it seems to be on the lower end of the scale in terms of costs once the console is out of the way.
It’s tough, because that console and it’s games retain a LOT of their value. Even with used games I have trouble finding them for less than $50. Swapping is the way to go if you can. I do not recommend getting digital copies of games ever.

If not, you can always buy used on OfferUp and see if anyone is willing to trade or haggle a bit. It’ll still be around $50, but the bigger titles (Pokémon, Mario Kart, etc.) are definitely worth it just in how expansive they are and how much gameplay you can expect to get out of it.

Depending on his age, you may just want to look through demos and download those. I know a 5 year old with a 30-second attention span. I downloaded 5 or so demos, which is enough to play for about 10-15 minutes, and that’s all she needs. Super glad I didn’t drop $150 on a few games for her...

The flip side of retaining value is that you can always sell games that didn’t go over well or that you’ve played to death and still get a decent return to apply somewhere else. As with all games, sell on eBay/OfferUp and keep the case if you can. You can buy and resell for about the same price.

Sorry I don’t have a better answer! If you still work, you can always ask coworkers (with kids?) if they have a switch. A lot of my coworkers are around my age (mid-20s to mid-30s) and so there are 4 of us who can swap games, which makes it a lot more fun. It doesn’t have to be your SON’s friends with the games! :-)

DenverDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1213 on: January 24, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »

Start monitoring reddit.com/r/nintendoswitchdeals. There are deals to be had, but for AAA games, $45 is probably the best you will do outside of Black Friday or maybe an E3 sale. Being patient helps.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1214 on: January 24, 2019, 12:58:33 PM »

Start monitoring reddit.com/r/nintendoswitchdeals. There are deals to be had, but for AAA games, $45 is probably the best you will do outside of Black Friday or maybe an E3 sale. Being patient helps.
I didn’t know about this, thanks!

brandon1827

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1215 on: January 24, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »
I hadn't heard of that either, so thanks!

My son is 9 and is in love with Pixel Gun, Roblox, and other ipad-based games. His grandmother got him the switch along with Mario Cart, Splatoon 2, and RBI Baseball. I thought he'd be all over it, but has barely played any of those games at all, and has instead continued to play his old iPad games. He has a few friends with the Switch at school, but they don't really borrow/exchange games with each other.

Glaggsy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1216 on: January 27, 2019, 05:04:50 AM »
Was a gaming enthusiast before became obsessed with money, played xbox360 for a few hours a day but for last few years just had no time. Now want to get back to it but won't buy a console this time, I'll better stick to pc gaming.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1217 on: January 27, 2019, 06:06:58 AM »
Couldn't get in to Witcher 3 for some reason, after a few hours playing.

I picked up a copy of Ni No Kuni 2, and I'm about 4-5 hours in to that now. Not quite my cup of tea but it's ok.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1218 on: January 27, 2019, 06:55:30 AM »

I picked up a copy of Ni No Kuni 2, and I'm about 4-5 hours in to that now. Not quite my cup of tea but it's ok.

Did you play the first Ni No Kuni?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1219 on: January 27, 2019, 10:03:31 AM »

No, I never had a PS3. It is immensely frustrating to me that the kind of games I like are rare, and usually end up being one or two per platform per generation. So, I emulated Xenoblade Chronicles with Dolphin (and then bought the DS version), and absolutely loved it; I then bought a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X. And then... they brought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 out on the Switch. Rage, seriously. So, I have not as yet bought a Switch.

So far on my PS4 I have completed one game (Final Fantasy XV).

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1220 on: January 27, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »

No, I never had a PS3. It is immensely frustrating to me that the kind of games I like are rare, and usually end up being one or two per platform per generation. So, I emulated Xenoblade Chronicles with Dolphin (and then bought the DS version), and absolutely loved it; I then bought a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X. And then... they brought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 out on the Switch. Rage, seriously. So, I have not as yet bought a Switch.

So far on my PS4 I have completed one game (Final Fantasy XV).

I had a friend lend me the original Ni No Kuni but I just couldn't get into it. I'm sure it's a great game but I didn't care for the protagonist, the battle system, or the chain quests. I've ignored the second game because I figured I needed to play the first for it to make sense, but maybe that is not the case.

That is definitely a weak point of console platforms. You miss out on a lot of games if you skip a generation. And some franchises even require you to buy handhelds in addition to consoles to play all the main games. I also bought a Wii U primarily for Xenoblade X. The first Xenoblade was a much better game though. I've played through that three times now. I don't think I'll be getting a Switch in the near future though. Xenoblade 2 just doesn't look quite as appealing. Seems like too much of a gacha game with the BLADE system.

I believe I have reached the point where I have more games for the PS4 than any platform before it. I have been really satisfied with the game selection. I currently count 22 games and we have 4 more on preorder. I have beaten 13 of those so far. Funnily Final Fantasy XV is one of the few I didn't like and stopped playing pretty early on.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1221 on: January 27, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »
AFAIK there is no link between NNK 1 and 2.

FFXV I have really mixed feelings on in a lot of ways, it had so much potential. Still very good IMHO. I bought Final Fantasy 0 but couldn't get into that at all.

I rebought Dragon Age Inquisition (had originally played it on Xbox 360), but just didn't get into it. I think I will get an SSD at some point to speed up the PS4.

I actually played through a few games on the X360. Everyone panned the Game of Thrones game but I enjoyed that quite a lot.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1222 on: January 27, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
Red Dead Redemption 2

I spent the first month I had it just hunting and doing hunting or horse related challenges, like kill a cougar with a bow, get from town X to town Y in 5 minutes, etc. I did very little of the main quest. I really enjoy how detailed the hunting experience is.

With a lot of that done I've started doing the main quest. Wow, this game is violent! It's a Rockstar game so I should expect it, but I've spent so much time doing side activities I didn't realize how violent the core game is.

Fish Sweet

• Stubble
« Reply #1223 on: January 29, 2019, 02:33:10 PM »
Is anyone else hype for KH3 release today?

I grew up on Kingdom Hearts, and for a while thought I was immune from the excitement of the new game dropping, but I was totally in denial.

Other games I'm currently working through:  Nier: Automata, Dishonored, KH: Birth by Sleep

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1224 on: February 03, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »

The Switch online ($10 per year) includes a slowly expanding selection of original NES games.  I haven't delved too far in (there is just so much game to play, and limited time even just working 6 days a month!) but I just played through the original Metroid for the first time ever.  I can see why I was into that NES back when it first came out, for all I've been spoiled by modern graphics, that was still really fun.  And {spoiler alert}
Spoiler: show
it turns out that Samus is actually female!!

What's the most inexpensive way you've found to get good games for it if you don't have lots of friends with that system?

Depends what you consider "good".  The big name Nintendo made games are hard to find at any significant discount, but the most popular game in the world right now (Fortnite) is free, and the game I put the most time into the past several weeks (Fallout Shelter) also free.  Also really enjoyed / enjoying a number of indy games, Overcooked and Night in the Woods with my wife, Octodad, Violett, Ultimate Chicken Horse, all in the $10-20 range

My big name brand games either came with the system (I got it on Craigslist as a bundle from a college student who pre-ordered and then didn't have time to play) or I've gotten as gifts

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:32:59 AM by Bakari »

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1225 on: February 16, 2019, 05:37:35 PM »
Oh no... you guys...

I've gone back down the rabbit hole.

Started a new League of Legends account. Lost an entire day today to Summoner's Rift. Add me if you guys play!

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1226 on: February 18, 2019, 01:01:00 AM »
Finished Steep. Really enjoyed it but was not good enough to get all gold medals for the events (102/118 ain't too bad).

This months freebie PS4 games: Hitman - really good for one play through but wouldn't go through again. For Honor - I don't do multiplayer so tried the single player campaign and got 2/3 of the way through before rage quitting about how stupid and repetitive the fight controls were.

I'm also working my way through the Uncharted 1/2/3 remastered collection, having finished the first two and am now on the third. Awesome games and I can't believe how good a game Uncharted 1 was given that it is over 9 years since it was made.

All this playing lately took its toll on my original PS4 controller. Despite two attempts at repair surgery it seems the up/down potentiometer is worn beyond revival and started to affect game control so much that I had to retire it. Only $60 for a new one and so many hours pleasure anticipated for it, so it was a no brainer good buy to get a new replacement.

farmecologist

• Bristles
« Reply #1227 on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:00 AM »
I got Fallout 76 on a half-price sale and have been playing it for around 2 weeks. I love the resource gathering, as well as the mission aspect of the game.

I have been playing FO76 too.  There has been a lot of 'internet hate' out there regarding the game.  However, I really like it.  I don't play it as a multiplayer game though.  I play it solo exactly like I play Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim, etc....   If you like huge maps, exploring, etc... I'd recommend it.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1228 on: February 22, 2019, 11:39:24 PM »
I've been really enjoying playing Apex Legends on the PS4 right now.  It's free, which is my kind of price, and has the sort of short, no commitment gaming that works for me (I've been tinkering away at Skyrim for years, which is all the rpg game I can handle).

It's a lot like Fortnite, without the building thing and with teams of 3 fighting it out on a big map.  It's pretty fun, matches are over in no more than 21 minutes or so (and usually a lot sooner for most of the players).

OrangeFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1229 on: February 23, 2019, 01:52:26 AM »
Been 'wasting' a lot of time on Wargrooves and Into the Breach.
Been dry on an Advance Wars game for over a literal decade so the spiritual successor was much appreciated.
As for Into the Breach the replayability is enormous and I really like the lack of RNG during turns, you can see exactly who is going to do what in what order and you plan insanely elaborate strategies on occasion and I absolutely love it!

Rachel_the_Lark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1230 on: February 23, 2019, 05:10:12 AM »
As for Into the Breach the replayability is enormous and I really like the lack of RNG during turns, you can see exactly who is going to do what in what order and you plan insanely elaborate strategies on occasion and I absolutely love it!

Replayability??? I still can't get past the second island!  But I totally agree that it's a good find.  I'm constantly losing, but can see that it is a direct result of a mistake I've made.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1231 on: February 23, 2019, 06:24:37 PM »
I just picked up a copy of "Crusader Kings 2" and I'm starting to learn how to play it and... Jeez. I feel like I'm back in college except now I'm studying for a degree in Political Science.

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1232 on: February 23, 2019, 06:33:11 PM »
I just picked up a copy of "Crusader Kings 2" and I'm starting to learn how to play it and... Jeez. I feel like I'm back in college except now I'm studying for a degree in Political Science.
You will never have free time again. Such a good game.

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1233 on: February 23, 2019, 06:42:35 PM »
Main game has been World of Warships. From searching looks like @Sjalabais and @No Name Guy both play too :)

greysolive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1234 on: February 28, 2019, 11:58:49 AM »
I like easy flash games with interesting plot, just to kill time. Right now I play Drakemall game with the element of gamble. It's easy game but entertaining 'coz every payer can win smth cool in this game. I just buy mystery boxes and get one random itemfrom the box I bought. Cool game
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:10:13 AM by greysolive »

Philociraptor

• Pencil Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #1235 on: March 01, 2019, 07:21:44 AM »
Been playing a whole lot of Kingdom Rush - Vengeance lately. Completed all the maps, working on 3-starring all the levels, challenge modes, and unlocking all the achievements.

jojoguy

• Stubble
« Reply #1236 on: March 01, 2019, 01:56:30 PM »

The reactions to TW3 are odd. I have a friend who did the same as you, but he went back to it later. Now, he loves it. A few hours is not much for a game like that. There is a cave area near the beginning that, imo, is the worst part of the game and many stop playing after that. Mainly, because it is boring and tedious there.

I played it and beat it initially after borrowing it from my friend and thought it was great. Later on I wanted to play it again because of the DLC Hearts of Stone was coming out. After playing it again, I must say that it is now my favorite game of all time, and I am not exaggerating. The writing in the game is so well done. It is crazy. Hearts of Stone DLC has the most incredible writing and story telling of any game I've ever played. The villian is amazing and well played.

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1237 on: March 01, 2019, 02:51:40 PM »
I need to try this game again. I played maybe 8 hours over a couple weekends and I didn't ever choose to play it again after the first two sessions, so I uninstalled it three months later.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:07:30 AM by grantmeaname »

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1238 on: March 04, 2019, 02:51:50 PM »

The reactions to TW3 are odd. I have a friend who did the same as you, but he went back to it later. Now, he loves it. A few hours is not much for a game like that. There is a cave area near the beginning that, imo, is the worst part of the game and many stop playing after that. Mainly, because it is boring and tedious there.

I played it and beat it initially after borrowing it from my friend and thought it was great. Later on I wanted to play it again because of the DLC Hearts of Stone was coming out. After playing it again, I must say that it is now my favorite game of all time, and I am not exaggerating. The writing in the game is so well done. It is crazy. Hearts of Stone DLC has the most incredible writing and story telling of any game I've ever played. The villian is amazing and well played.

I had never played a witcher game and it took me a while to get into the fighting mechanics. That and the ps4 load times were brutal so every time I died I had to wait for a minute or two to play again. Was frustrating at first, but not as much od an issue after learning how to fight better

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1239 on: March 08, 2019, 09:07:09 AM »
I'm still chipping away at Skyrim, which one of my kids bought.  They've long since lost interest, but I'm happily exploring the map and battling various monsters while slowly working my way through all the quests.

I could probably just play Skyrim for about 5 years before needing another game, partially because I don't really have a lot of time to play and it is SO very huge.

jojoguy

• Stubble
« Reply #1240 on: March 08, 2019, 05:24:23 PM »
I'm still chipping away at Skyrim, which one of my kids bought.  They've long since lost interest, but I'm happily exploring the map and battling various monsters while slowly working my way through all the quests.

I could probably just play Skyrim for about 5 years before needing another game, partially because I don't really have a lot of time to play and it is SO very huge.

I really have to give Skyrim a proper chance. The remaster came out at a time when I was playing a couple of other games. I`ll have to get it on PC though. I really enjoy the mod support for many of the games.

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #1241 on: March 08, 2019, 07:47:41 PM »
I really have to give Skyrim a proper chance. The remaster came out at a time when I was playing a couple of other games. I`ll have to get it on PC though. I really enjoy the mod support for many of the games.

I would suggest doing some research before buying the Remastered version- a decent number of mods don't work with it, and you can get HD texture packs for the non-remastered version that make it almost as good. Granted, it's been awhile since I've checked so more mods might be ported over to the Remastered one, but it's worth looking into what mods you want to use to ensure they're all compatible before buying the Remaster.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1242 on: March 09, 2019, 04:16:52 AM »
Completed Spiderman for PS4 this week, a loaner from my nephew. Beautiful game and complex but rewarding fight system.