Author Topic: Movember  (Read 2691 times)

Strawberrykiwi75

• Stubble
Movember
« on: November 10, 2013, 11:54:53 PM »
I just wondered if many people were getting involved with Movember?

I think it's a great cause, and very important to discuss it, even if you don't support charities or want to have a competition to grow the creepiest mustache ;-)

For those of you who don't know much about Movember, it's a global awareness month to focus on men's health in general, but with an emphasis on prostate cancer and mental illness.

Personally, I'm a big supporter because my 25 year old brother commit suicide 6 months ago, due to an unknown mental illness. I can't help but wonder that if we had talked more, his death might have been prevented.

So I'd just like to suggest that everyone, talk to your friends and family about how they're feeling about life, keep an eye on people who seem a bit different to their normal selves, and encourage men to get a health check completed :-)

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Movember
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 12:19:09 AM »
So sorry to hear about your brother Strawberry.  :(

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 12:38:31 AM »
I tried a few years back. I ended up looking like Earl Hickey.

And yes get checked. Early detection of prostate cancer saved my wife's uncles life.

Strawberrykiwi75

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:42:43 AM »
So sorry to hear about your brother Strawberry.  :(

Thanks Moomingirl. I just hope that by talking about it, we can prevent the loss of all these brilliant people. We always lose the best ones

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 11:09:53 AM »
I rock a beard. I would probably get stopped by the police walking down the street with a mustache, like if kids were around, I've tried to grow it out, and it's too chester for me to bring myself to go outside...

I check my balls for cancer pretty much all the time though. As Radimus says in Waiting, "Okay, well, that just about covers all the different variations that we have. But you know, we're always looking for new positions. So look next time you got a little down time, you find yourself a little bored, play with your nuts, you know what I'm saying? See what you come up with, okay? It's all good."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:12:29 AM by Kriegsspiel »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 05:13:10 AM »
Strawberry, that is awful. My partner has depression, and I'm so glad he got diagnosed when he did (a few weeks after I got diagnosed with clinical anxiety). I am grateful to every cause like movember that brings such difficult topics to people's minds.
One of my friends does it every year, even though his hair is so fine and light that it is known as the "invisi-mo"

Strawberrykiwi75

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 12:56:47 AM »
Thanks for your kind words everyone. I like the idea of an invisi-mo! Haha brilliant!

Mom to 5, look after your family, talk to your husband, and get everyone to have check ups :-) nothing's more important than those you love