Author Topic: MMMers.... Show me your outrageous optimism!  (Read 8509 times)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
Re: MMMers.... Show me your outrageous optimism!
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2020, 08:44:36 AM »
I sat down and planned out our financial emergency plan this morning.

If only one spouse were to become unemployed, we could continue indefinitely by cutting out nonessential spending and investing. If we both lose our jobs, we could go about 6 months by using our emergency fund and cashing out both reimbursable HSA funds and credit card travel rewards. In that time, I could go back to college for another year with the G.I. Bill, which would provide some additional funds as well.

Having a plan in place for the worst case scenario has me feeling very optimistic. Prior to doing a full accounting of all of our options, I was considering slowing investing to add a couple more months' expenses to our emergency fund, but now I'm wondering if I should cut down to essential expenses now just to invest more.

Either way, teachings from MMM and Dave Ramsey have set us up to weather almost any storm.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2020, 09:44:52 AM »
I sat down and planned out our financial emergency plan this morning.

If only one spouse were to become unemployed, we could continue indefinitely by cutting out nonessential spending and investing. If we both lose our jobs, we could go about 6 months by using our emergency fund and cashing out both reimbursable HSA funds and credit card travel rewards. In that time, I could go back to college for another year with the G.I. Bill, which would provide some additional funds as well.

Having a plan in place for the worst case scenario has me feeling very optimistic. Prior to doing a full accounting of all of our options, I was considering slowing investing to add a couple more months' expenses to our emergency fund, but now I'm wondering if I should cut down to essential expenses now just to invest more.

Either way, teachings from MMM and Dave Ramsey have set us up to weather almost any storm.

Sounds good DadJokes. We’ve managed to live off one income which has been helpful since, um, we’ve needed to live off of spouses income.
A few months buffer, then the HSA which has been in cash (our only option from work, presently).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2020, 12:17:52 PM »
If you're a sports announcer and there are no sports, well...everything becomes a sport.

With Live Sports Gone, Announcer Offers Play by Play of the Everyday

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2020, 12:35:57 PM »
If you're a sports announcer and there are no sports, well...everything becomes a sport.

With Live Sports Gone, Announcer Offers Play by Play of the Everyday

I loved this, @OtherJen!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2020, 06:27:18 PM »
I'm so glad others are finding things to be optimistic about.  I am totally jealous of those that manage to panic borrow from the library!  I can e and audio book, but some movies and shows would have been nice too.

I am optimistic that once this all shakes out, some people that are far smarter and more ambitious than I are going to create solutions for some of the problems we are seeing now.  Should be interesting to see what they identify and how they solve the issues, and then watch them flourish.

Also seeing some companies retooling to provide for current needs is pretty cool.  A local libation producer switched over to sanitizer producer when they realized the hospitals couldn't get supplies.  Good stuff.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2020, 07:13:17 PM »
Also seeing some companies retooling to provide for current needs is pretty cool.  A local libation producer switched over to sanitizer producer when they realized the hospitals couldn't get supplies.  Good stuff.

Yes! In my area, Ford has started making face shields for the local hospitals.

I had a conference call with some fellow volunteer board members earlier. Most of them are over 60, and a few live in a local retirement community. It was so good to hear their voices.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2020, 10:41:21 AM »
That's awesome.  I love hearing this stuff.  Not just optimism, but people doing things that are actually helping!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2020, 12:19:39 PM »
That's awesome.  I love hearing this stuff.  Not just optimism, but people doing things that are actually helping!

It's really nice to hear all the stories of distilleries making hand sanitizer, vacuum cleaner companies making ventilators, clothing companies sewing surgical masks, etc.  Maybe some of the compassion and solidarity will stick after this blows over. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2020, 12:51:39 PM »
I have everything needed to make a batch of guacamole. This has brightened my mood considerably.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2020, 12:08:39 PM »
Has anybody else thought about how many millions of brilliant people all over the world working on ways to solve or mitigate the pandemic?  This is at a time when technology can facilitate collaboration without having to be physically close enough to risk spreading the virus.  It's also at a time when people in several up-and-coming countries now have the education and resources to add their talents to the fight. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2020, 01:00:25 PM »
Has anybody else thought about how many millions of brilliant people all over the world working on ways to solve or mitigate the pandemic?  This is at a time when technology can facilitate collaboration without having to be physically close enough to risk spreading the virus.  It's also at a time when people in several up-and-coming countries now have the education and resources to add their talents to the fight.
[/quote

As had been noted elsewhere, no pathogen has ever triggered this much funding and effort to develop an effective cure in the history of civilization. It outpaces the race to eradicate small pox and to combat Ebola.

Hopefully what we learn from such a multifaceted global collaboration will aid is in advancing medicine in future crises.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2020, 04:48:54 AM »

As had been noted elsewhere, no pathogen has ever triggered this much funding and effort to develop an effective cure in the history of civilization. It outpaces the race to eradicate small pox and to combat Ebola.

Hopefully what we learn from such a multifaceted global collaboration will aid is in advancing medicine in future crises.

The difference is, of course, that this one is a major thread to the rich white guys leading the industrialized world. Contrary to e.g. Ebola, which kills almost exclusivly poor people and their children.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2020, 07:32:26 AM »
Has anyone else notice they've been getting a lot less junk mail these days? Two months ago, 4-6 pieces of junk mail per day was common for me, but now I might only get one piece every other day. It's a small thing, but I am enjoying having less stuff going in the trash.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2020, 07:47:24 AM »
Has anyone else notice they've been getting a lot less junk mail these days? Two months ago, 4-6 pieces of junk mail per day was common for me, but now I might only get one piece every other day. It's a small thing, but I am enjoying having less stuff going in the trash.

I haven't noticed a difference in mail. We also had a cleaning company drive through the neighborhood yesterday and throw business cards in sandwich bags (weighed down by rocks) in every driveway.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2020, 07:50:26 AM »

. . . and just when there's a shortage of TP too.

Conincidince?

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2020, 01:11:45 PM »
I'm optimistic about being a Mustachian! We are so much better prepared for this than everyone else. I'm also happy to see how I'm able to contribute to the solution, not the problem. Because I'm so well set up, I'm able to keep paying my rent, thereby preventing problems for my landlord. I'm also able to keep donating to effective charities and volunteering, despite a significant drop in my income. I think if a significant proportion of the population were Mustachian, there would be much less fear.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2020, 02:00:04 PM »
I'm optimistic about being a Mustachian! We are so much better prepared for this than everyone else. I'm also happy to see how I'm able to contribute to the solution, not the problem. Because I'm so well set up, I'm able to keep paying my rent, thereby preventing problems for my landlord. I'm also able to keep donating to effective charities and volunteering, despite a significant drop in my income. I think if a significant proportion of the population were Mustachian, there would be much less fear.

Same here!

My job is stable and my income won't even be cut, so one thing I did was to increase one of my monthly charity contributions (planning to leave it there after COVID too) as I expect them to have received lots of stopped donations from people who lost jobs and such.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2020, 11:14:47 PM »

The difference is, of course, that this one is a major thread to the rich white guys leading the industrialized world. Contrary to e.g. Ebola, which kills almost exclusivly poor people and their children.

Ebola was also a major threat to all people rich and poor.  There was an impressive international effort to stamp it out in some of the countries with the least infrastructure on Earth.  The West African Ebola epidemic was essentially contained to three countries then extinguished.  COVID-19 not so much.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2020, 12:04:17 AM »
Going off a piece I listened to in NPR, ultimately, the best way to 'win' the battle against a viral outbreak is to leave all politics aside and do your part for your neighbors and family.  If you go out, do this only as is essential and that you might come in contact with the virus and (even if you survive it) will put other people at risk by carrying (and hopefully not spreading) the virus for 14 days. 

So my outrageous optimism is that we all, whatever nation or political camp we reside in, are brought closer together as part of the human race and 'win'.  And hopefully this ethos prevails sooner rather than later.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2020, 10:01:53 AM »
Going off a piece I listened to in NPR, ultimately, the best way to 'win' the battle against a viral outbreak is to leave all politics aside and do your part for your neighbors and family.  If you go out, do this only as is essential and that you might come in contact with the virus and (even if you survive it) will put other people at risk by carrying (and hopefully not spreading) the virus for 14 days. 

So my outrageous optimism is that we all, whatever nation or political camp we reside in, are brought closer together as part of the human race and 'win'.  And hopefully this ethos prevails sooner rather than later.

I will enjoy the irony* if everyone staying isolated in their homes brings us back together as a society. And I agree with you it really is a plausible outcome.

*And I think in this case I'm using the word in a way even an english teacher would approve of, but I could be wrong.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2020, 10:24:42 AM »
There's a lot to be anxious about as I have elderly relatives just recovering from serious health conditions, who will be the first to drop off the twig if Covid-19 strikes.

However: Supermarket shelves are bare around here, but I was already stocked up due to Costco addiction, plus a giant box of Misfits produce arrived yesterday so I am all set. Except for toilet paper, which we actually may need soon. :~(

Husband is working from home for two weeks so he's in a good mood, and kids can't stop grinning... no school for weeks and weeks and weeks. I'm also relieved to get a break from the relentless round of holidays, birthday parties, baby showers, church, and school events which are time sinks for poor SAHPs like me.

Poundwise, are you still getting Misfits? I was getting a box once a week for quite a while but got a bit disillusioned when I kept getting squash and eggplants every week. I just don't know what to do with an over abundance of them. I stopped getting it and went to Imperfect foods but not all that happy with them either. Tell me what you are experiencing if you still get the boxes.