Author Topic: Million Woman March  (Read 17758 times)

Indio

• Bristles
Re: Million Woman March
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2017, 06:30:59 AM »
Here's another way you can support making a difference. There's a petition to force Trump to release his tax returns. I believe in transparency and honesty. If he releases his returns, we will all have a better view into what whether or not he did what millions of Americans do -- pay taxes. Part of me thinks we already know the answer to this question.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »
On my way out!!  Have a great march everyone!!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »
Here's another way you can support making a difference. There's a petition to force Trump to release his tax returns. I believe in transparency and honesty. If he releases his returns, we will all have a better view into what whether or not he did what millions of Americans do -- pay taxes. Part of me thinks we already know the answer to this question.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

If he didn't pay the taxes he owes, wouldn't the IRS fine him? He is being audited, after all. Probably has been several times.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »

If he didn't pay the taxes he owes, wouldn't the IRS fine him? He is being audited, after all. Probably has been several times.

Do you think he would actually pay the fines? Maybe this is the modus operandi... borrow more money to pay the fines, declare bankruptcy and rinse and repeat with phoenix companies.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »
Lmao, I am 43 years old, so way to assume that I have no real world experience.  I found it cute that you would barge into a thread about the million woman march with those deliberately inflammatory statements that you probably had to guess would offend and upset people.  It doesn't seem very wise to me, or compassionate.

I am puzzled that someone who was sexually assaulted would support Trump, but I can see why they would detest Clinton too.  He is definitely slimy.   I just pointed out that the circumstances around Clinton when he was elected (because I lived through it).  Most people knew about Gennifer Flowers, which was adulterous but consensual.  You know what you are getting with Trump, and it is loathsome.  If it makes you feel better to think I am hypocritical, you enjoy yourself,  like I said above, I could care less.  I am sorry you were assaulted though, it shouldn't happen to anyone.  Trump legitimately traumatized me, to the point that I cried in my husbands arms on election day, and I would think with your experience, you might be less judge and more sympathetic to that. 

Well, good luck with the controlling behavior thing.  It worked so well for prohibition.  So you have adopted one of these "unborn"?  Talked to a woman who is contemplating abortion?  Walked a mile in their shoes?  I used to be like you.  I even wrote anti-abortion letters to my college newspaper.  Then I met a few people, talked to them, developed some empathy and compassion.  I dislike abortion personally myself, but making it illegal will produce more abortions, not less. 

In any case, you've had your fun so I am done engaging.  I would respectfully suggest you go to threads where you aren't intruding on others who are trying to talk about an experience they are looking forward to.  You can do what you like, of course, but I will just not address you any longer.

Good luck to you.

Great post. I, too, am against abortion. Who would not be? However, I support a woman's right to choose and do what I can to PREVENT the need for abortions in the first place. It's curious how many "anti-abortion" people are quick to kill people in the electric chair.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2017, 05:34:49 PM »

Do you think he would actually pay the fines? Maybe this is the modus operandi... borrow more money to pay the fines, declare bankruptcy and rinse and repeat with phoenix companies.
I'm not sure that more conspiracy theories make the scenario more likely.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 08:11:19 PM »
What a great march! I am so glad that we went. Thousands and thousands of people in Oakland with great energy and some really creative signs. I love seeing the energy and momentum and sheer support from millions across the globe. Women's rights are human rights!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2017, 08:24:42 PM »
What a great march! I am so glad that we went. Thousands and thousands of people in Oakland with great energy and some really creative signs. I love seeing the energy and momentum and sheer support from millions across the globe. Women's rights are human rights!

Oh, the signs. I wished I had a 360 camera with a zoom lens. Some of the best that I saw: http://imgur.com/a/ZiYvL

NYC was fantastic. There were an estimated 500,000 people, and as far as I know, it stayed entirely peaceful. Took almost 3 hours to walk 15 blocks.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2017, 08:27:15 PM »

I am glad I went too. At first they estimated 30,000, then 60,000, then apparently by the end of the day our SPPD estimated 90,000 - 100,000 in attendence. I believe there was one arrest. A counter protestor sprayed pepper spray into the crowd and was promptly taken away. No reports of damage that I can find. I've attached a couple of pictures taken from our state capital steps that I managed to work my way up to. You can see the road we marched down in the first picture still full of people marching on the capital long after I had arrived.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2017, 08:30:27 PM »

I am glad I went too. At first they estimated 30,000, then 60,000, then apparently by the end of the day our SPPD estimated 90,000 - 100,000 in attendence. I believe there was one arrest. A counter protestor sprayed pepper spray into the crowd and was promptly taken away. No reports of damage that I can find. I've attached a couple of pictures taken from our state capital steps that I managed to work my way up to. You can see the road we marched down in the first picture still full of people marching on the capital long after I had arrived.

Thats awesome!! Our march in Texas was also amazing! So many creative and clever signs, so many cheerful enthusiastic, polite folks! Everyone was taking really great care of each other and being really patient when the size of the crowd meant that getting started was extremely slow. It was surprisingly hot, and everyone was sharing water, providing shade with their signs, etc.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2017, 08:35:55 PM »
What's the point?

Thanks for the mansplaining.

Thanks for clearing that up, little lady. Are you offended? Any chance you might reconsider your choice of the word "mansplaining"?

Oh, I forgot, insulting men is okay.

That's right honky, deal with it.

Butthurt much?

Everyone trying to derail with utterly irrelevant comments about Bill Clinton please take a minute and Google tu quoque. Go on, I'll wait. OK, now, how about you address something that is actually relevant to the discussion if you want to make a coherent argument. While you're at it, stop pretending "grab em by the pussy" is anywhere close to the only evidence we have on this topic.

In other news, I had a pretty bad car accident yesterday and missed the San Jose march today, but heard great things from my parents and sister who attended with some other family friends. Inspiring that such a widespread protest could be so well organized, powerful, and peaceful.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:43:48 PM by Lagom »

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2017, 08:43:13 PM »
In other news, I had a pretty bad car accident yesterday and missed the San Jose march today, but heard great things from my parents and sister who attended with some other family friends. Inspiring that such a widespread protest could be so well organized, powerful, and peaceful.

Oh no! I hope you are ok, and that dealing with the aftermath isn't too terrible. :(

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2017, 08:47:21 PM »

Oh no! I hope you are ok, and that dealing with the aftermath isn't too terrible. :(

Thanks! Both cars were thoroughly totaled, but amazingly everyone walked away with no worse than a few scratches and stiff necks. I probably got the worst with some mild facial burns from the airbag. I was shellshocked most of yesterday and now the insurance games begin, but given how badly my car was mangled, I'm just grateful to feel well enough to be posting now. Also, it was just me and DW in the car. 99% of my mental trauma relates to imagining what might have happened if our kids were with us, SO thankful they were not.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »
Glad you're OK, Lagom. Scary. Bay Area ex-pat here, now exiled to a slightly red corner of our blue state. I went with my youngest daughter to the 300 or so march in our town. Some passers-by gave us the finger, there were a couple of "fuck yous" but most horn honking in solidarity and lots of thumbs-up. Best sign I saw was "Why Do Guns Have More Rights Than Women Do?"

My oldest daughter went to the march in Oakland. Did you run into her, Ysette? :)

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2017, 09:46:18 PM »
Lmao, I am 43 years old, so way to assume that I have no real world experience.  I found it cute that you would barge into a thread about the million woman march with those deliberately inflammatory statements that you probably had to guess would offend and upset people.  It doesn't seem very wise to me, or compassionate.

I am puzzled that someone who was sexually assaulted would support Trump, but I can see why they would detest Clinton too.  He is definitely slimy.   I just pointed out that the circumstances around Clinton when he was elected (because I lived through it).  Most people knew about Gennifer Flowers, which was adulterous but consensual.  You know what you are getting with Trump, and it is loathsome.  If it makes you feel better to think I am hypocritical, you enjoy yourself,  like I said above, I could care less.  I am sorry you were assaulted though, it shouldn't happen to anyone.  Trump legitimately traumatized me, to the point that I cried in my husbands arms on election day, and I would think with your experience, you might be less judge and more sympathetic to that. 

Well, good luck with the controlling behavior thing.  It worked so well for prohibition.  So you have adopted one of these "unborn"?  Talked to a woman who is contemplating abortion?  Walked a mile in their shoes?  I used to be like you.  I even wrote anti-abortion letters to my college newspaper.  Then I met a few people, talked to them, developed some empathy and compassion.  I dislike abortion personally myself, but making it illegal will produce more abortions, not less. 

In any case, you've had your fun so I am done engaging.  I would respectfully suggest you go to threads where you aren't intruding on others who are trying to talk about an experience they are looking forward to.  You can do what you like, of course, but I will just not address you any longer.

Good luck to you.

Great post. I, too, am against abortion. Who would not be? However, I support a woman's right to choose and do what I can to PREVENT the need for abortions in the first place. It's curious how many "anti-abortion" people are quick to kill people in the electric chair.

Me! I'm am not against abortion in any way. It is a natural part of women's healthcare and always has been.

On topic, the marches today were AMAZING! Biggest demonstrations in human history. We had 200,000 in Denver alone. 1.3 million in DC. 750,000 in LA.  Fuck Trump ringing from every corner of the globe, including Antarctica. We just need to keep the momentum going.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2017, 10:10:15 PM »

Hey, Ruby!

Funnily enough, I was right there when the counter protester did that. He was one of the "Homo sex is sin" people. He was obviously trying to provoke people with the horrible things he was saying, and when someone responded, he sprayed them. (Hilariously, he caught some of the spray hself. Served him right.) I was there taking video as other counter-protesters tried to escalate things, so there would be a record in case of assault.

It was an amazing day, the atmosphere was loving  and positive and kind. The way we want OUR America to be.

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2017, 10:43:29 PM »
Had a great evening in SF with wife, daughter, and son.  Cool people, demonstrating peacefully and making their voices heard.  Made me feel good.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »
Nothing on the scale of what you guys saw, but I went to a march with more than 70 people in a town under 400 population in the middle of rural Appalachia. It was fantastic.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2017, 10:13:01 AM »

Good luck to you.

Me! I'm am not against abortion in any way. It is a natural part of women's healthcare and always has been.

On topic, the marches today were AMAZING! Biggest demonstrations in human history. We had 200,000 in Denver alone. 1.3 million in DC. 750,000 in LA.  Fuck Trump ringing from every corner of the globe, including Antarctica. We just need to keep the momentum going.

My views are not black or white. I'm against it for myself but not for others and wish more anti-abortion people would join this line of thinking.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
Lots of people in Vancouver, Canada too (approx.15,000 people) and I saw my cousin's pictures from the Victoria march.

In Vancouver, we assembled in the plaza with the 2010 Olympic torch and then marched past the U.S. Consulate and Trump Tower.  Really peaceful and a good atmosphere.  Our speakers reminded us of our Cdn issues and Mr. Trump wasn't mentioned by them.   

I want to become involved in the action to get bigger disability payments for people who aren't able to work.  Ours in B.C. are among the lowest in Canada which is shameful for such a wealthy province.  I was really inspired by the speakers.   :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:26:13 PM by pachnik »

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2017, 11:10:35 AM »
One place to find constructive next steps that a number of people have been linking me:

https://www.womensmarch.com/100/

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
Another one, assuming that you want to get more Democrats into congress. I am a bit conflicted on this approach but under the circumstances, I think a gridlocked split government in 2018 is probably a best case outcome right now.

https://swingleft.org/

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »
Two photos from the march on Trump Tower.

It was so crowded that my group ended up cutting up 3rd Ave (through more crowds of marchers) and joining in for the last blocks. The second view is from 2nd Ave/51st St, maybe about 3pm. We're looking at the side of the march. Consider that 42nd St was supposed to be the march route at that point!!!

There were a lot of ordinary people, not the kinds who usually demonstrate. Got thumbs up and encouragement all the way from doormen, parking guards, and other people (including my husband) who had to work on Saturday and couldn't make the march. Glad I didn't bring the kids though, would have been really tough to get the stroller though. Very peaceful but there was a vast undercurrent of anger so Trump was lucky to be out of town.  The church bells of St. Thomas played the "Star Spangled Banner" and "America the Beautiful" and tens of thousands of people sang softly along... brought tears to my eyes.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »
It was such a beautiful day! Hoping we can capitalize on it to force some real accountability from our proto-fascist regime.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »
I was in DC and went very angry and bitter and returned at peace.  There was a lot of love and it took some of the sting out of the day before (inauguration day) for me.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2017, 09:33:21 AM »
It was a great experience.  I was lucky enough to have a friend who lives and DC and works on Pennsylvania Ave, so I had a home base to retreat to, use the bathroom etc... I went to the Rally, but couldn't see much. The crowds were...indescribable.  Just massive.  There was a wide range of people there, just everyone, kids, elderly, disabled, every race, sexual orientation, any progressive issue you can imagine was represented.  The crowds were really peaceful and every time an ambulance or police car came by, everyone moved to the side and applauded them.  The only time I felt the crowd turn angry was in front of the Trump Hotel - people were just furious!

TFTF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
I attended the Oakland and San Francisco events and came away incredibly inspired and motivated. For the first time I felt that this episode may not destroy our democracy, but IF we stay committed and motivated, may ultimately strengthen it. I am totally befuddled by the mindset that these demonstrations don't matter - that's a self-fulfilling prophecy if I've ever heard one! It's up to us to make them matter by using them to build and channel energy into ongoing civic engagement.

Gal2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE - 2031
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2017, 10:57:07 AM »
I entertained myself by reading all the materials from the disaffected march organizers who pulled out of the march due to the racist undertones of the organizers.  Then I read even more about the violence and mayhem that some of the protesters decided it was their "right" to inflict on businesses. I also saw many many pictures of blocked traffic.

But, mostly, I just spent time with my kids, enjoying the beautiful day.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »
I entertained myself by reading all the materials from the disaffected march organizers who pulled out of the march due to the racist undertones of the organizers.  Then I read even more about the violence and mayhem that some of the protesters decided it was their "right" to inflict on businesses. I also saw many many pictures of blocked traffic.

Violence and mayhem.

Right.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2017, 11:07:42 AM »
Alternative facts, Kris! Get with the program.

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2017, 11:16:35 AM »
I attended the Oakland and San Francisco events and came away incredibly inspired and motivated. For the first time I felt that this episode may not destroy our democracy, but IF we stay committed and motivated, may ultimately strengthen it. I am totally befuddled by the mindset that these demonstrations don't matter - that's a self-fulfilling prophecy if I've ever heard one! It's up to us to make them matter by using them to build and channel energy into ongoing civic engagement.

I don't think it is a doesn't matter, more people are laughing at the irony because we know who most people protesting voted for and we know who she is married to.  Cigars, white house, settlement of lawsuits with women..........

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2017, 11:22:35 AM »
Nice, now we have two trolls! Troll fight! Yay!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »

Me too!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2017, 11:43:36 AM »
I don't think it is a doesn't matter, more people are laughing at the irony because we know who most people protesting voted for and we know who she is married to.  Cigars, white house, settlement of lawsuits with women..........

Trump lost the popular vote. Therefore, "more people" voted for Clinton and wouldn't be laughing at those who voted for Clinton.

Or is this one of those "alternative facts?"

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »

Trump lost the popular vote. Therefore, "more people" voted for Clinton and wouldn't be laughing at those who voted for Clinton.

LOL.  My point exactly.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2017, 11:46:53 AM »

LOL.  My point exactly.

So..it is one of those "alternative facts?"

Are you still angry about the low attendance of Trump's inauguration?

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2017, 11:54:58 AM »

LOL.  My point exactly.

So..it is one of those "alternative facts?"

Are you still angry about the low attendance of Trump's inauguration?

I don't understand the obssession with attendance. Is that where we are at now.

I find it humours that nobody wants to address why so many people voted for a woman whose husband sexually assaulted women, cheated on her in office and yet she never once came out to help those women. Instead she just attacked them, called them liars, all while the clintons paid them money to go away. When has she gone out and helped these women.  Bill getting caught oogling Ivanka on stage Friday was the kicker.

So is that what the march was about Saturday. It is ok to cheat on your wife?  I guess so.  I guess those women that Bill took advantage of don't matter because Bill has a D behidn his name.

You put an R behind Bill Clinton's name and this board is full of cigar and oval office "jokes" today.

You need a Ginsu knife to cut through the irony.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2017, 11:56:58 AM »

Dude, I'm sorry that Trump drew fewer people than the Women's March and both of Obama's inaugurations. Maybe a stiff drink would help?

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2017, 11:59:05 AM »

Dude, I'm sorry that Trump drew fewer people than the Women's March and both of Obama's inaugurations. Maybe a stiff drink would help?

Dude?  What are you 17?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »

Dude?  What are you 17?

It's tough to admit that your man, Trump, isn't as well liked as you thought. I'm sorry I had to break it to you. A personal day off from work could help.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »
It is kind of sad, actually. This was a historic election: The first orange president in US history. Shame he's not better liked.

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2017, 12:03:33 PM »

Dude?  What are you 17?

It's tough to admit that your man, Trump, isn't as well liked as you thought. I'm sorry I had to break it to you. A personal day off from work could help.

where did I ever say Donald Trump was liked. Please point it out. Seriously. Point to where I have claimed that. I'll wait for you to show me the post. They were the two least liked candidates in history.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »
Does anybody think it's weird that Hillary wasn't invited to the march? 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »

where did I ever say Donald Trump was liked. Please point it out. Seriously. Point to where I have claimed that. I'll wait for you to show me the post. They were the two least liked candidates in history.

Look, you don't have to make up facts when the facts don't go your way. Just own it. He's not well liked at all. His approval ratings at the start of his term are the lowest for at least 20 years.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2017, 12:07:04 PM »
The march wasn't about her, why would she be personally invited to the march?

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2017, 12:10:57 PM »

Look, you don't have to make up facts when the facts don't go your way. Just own it. He's not well liked at all. His approval ratings at the start of his term are the lowest for at least 20 years.

Are you just reposting what I just said, because that is what I read. Still waiting for you to show me my post.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2017, 12:13:12 PM »
Looks like packlawyer still hasn't googled "tu quoque." There's no need to engage with him until he does and comes back with actual arguments.

packlawyer04

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2017, 12:15:49 PM »
Looks like packlawyer still hasn't googled "tu quoque." There's no need to engage with him until he does and comes back with actual arguments.

I'm sorry to intervene in this DNC convention. I'll leave now. You guys go back to your fun.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2017, 12:16:20 PM »

I'm sorry to intervene in this DNC convention. I'll leave now. You guys go back to your fun.

Translation: I'd rather just troll than be held to any sort of standards.

Bye now!

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2017, 12:26:48 PM »

No. And I don't think it's weird that she didn't show up.

She ran in an election and lost. In this country, where we presumably have fair elections, there's an expectation that the loser isn't going to demonstrate and protest against the winner.

Her showing up wouldn't just have been a serious breach of our electoral etiquette, but it would have seriously detracted from any pro-woman message the organizers and attendees hoped to impart. It would have appeared to have been a Pro-Hillary demonstration protesting election results.

People may have been speaking out against Trump, but the time to speak out in favor of Hillary is past.