Author Topic: Million Woman March  (Read 17745 times)

Peter Parker

• Stubble
Million Woman March
« on: January 15, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
Anyone going to Million Woman March on January 21?   There are a number of marches in addition to the one in Washington.

I plan on going with my wife and daughter....Lot's of changes in line for women, some not so good.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:21:41 PM by Peter Parker »

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Million Woman March
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 07:36:02 PM »
I'll be there, bringing a friend. 

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 11:40:09 PM »
I'll be at the Bay Area Women's March in Oakland.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:51:43 AM »
It's actually called the women's march on Washington due to some hard feelings about usurping someone else's name. 
I am hosting 6 people who are coming in by bus for the March.  They're taking an overnight bus trip, going directly to the March, staying over at my house, then back on the bus the next morning. Now THATs dedication!  I am a little bit worried about showing up to the March in person because of a clearance investigation in progress. (Just a standard 5-year renew). I know I am supposed to be protected by hatch act, but it doesn't feel that way.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:52:17 AM »
Yes, I will be there with my 14 year old daughter. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:31:30 AM »
I'm going to a NYC march.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:12:38 AM »
Considering going to one in Melbourne Australia. Wife was worried that Americans might be frowned on. I've seen lots of posts from Americans saying they're going, so I think it'll be fine. Not sure if we'd all go, we'll see.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 07:22:23 AM »
What's the point?

They could't even get the name right. The march doesn't represent the 42% of women who voted for Trump. The march does not recognize his pro-woman & family policies. "He has embraced gender wage parity, government-mandated maternity leave, and child tax deductions in defiance of his own party. One can debate the wisdom of these ideas, but not that they are intended to help women. And then there are his three female Cabinet appointments, and a fourth woman as U.N. envoy."

http://theweek.com/articles/667163/why-womens-march-washington-already-failed

All the effort & resources going into the March could be pointed in a more useful direction.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 09:25:42 AM »
What's the point?

Thanks for the mansplaining.  But here's the thing, I don't care if you don't get the point.  The fact that you don't get the point IS the point.  What's the point of you asking that question?  This obviously isn't FOR you since you voted for Trump, but I'll play.

The POINT for me is that:

1) I am a sexual assault survivor, and everytime I see Trump, I think of my abusers (plural).  I think of the culture that made it okay for these men to take advantage of a child and of a teenager, and know that Trump is part of the culture and is going to continue to promote it.  I think of him saying "Grab them by the pussy"   I want to stand up and be counted as being opposed to him as a role model for women and girls.

2) My daughter is part of the LGBTQ community.  The fact that Trump picked a conversion therapy promoter as his VP is deeply frightening to her, for many reasons.  She wants to stand up and be counted as being opposed to rolling back the rights her community has fought so hard for.

This is the BEGINNING of activism for a lot of us, not just an isolated act. 

As for the 42% of women that voted for him, I get it, and I don't care.  A lot of women accept things as they are and 1) don't want things to change because change is difficult or 2) the system benefits them and they don't want to give up the pedestal.  That's fine, but it doesn't make any impact on my decisions. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »
Preach it, lady! We'll be out there on Saturday as well, marching to support you and millions of ladies like you. Hell, my husband and father will be there too because it isn't just about women. What is good for women is good for men is good for children is good for the country. And what is good for the country definitely is not he-who-must-not-be-named.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
And since I am just a mere lady, maybe this explanation might make sense to you:

“What good will it do to protest Trump?” a friend writes, in anticipation of marches this Saturday across the nation. “That’s not a political strategy. We need to recruit great candidates to retake Congress in 2018, groom a powerful opponent for Trump in 2020, and plan Trump’s impeachment. We have to reinvent the Democratic Party or replace it. We need a national grass-roots movement to rescue America from the oligarchs – and it has to start now.”
My friend draws a false distinction between protests and political strategy. Protest marches and actions are keys to organizing. When hundreds of thousands (or millions) of us march this Saturday, we’re committing ourselves to political change. We’re reaffirming our moral conviction that Trump’s hatefulness is wrong and his authoritarianism is a threat to our democracy. We’re proclaiming our political determination to end this scourge.
Friday’s boycott of Trump’s inauguration and Saturday’s marches will help fuel the movement already underway at America’s grass roots. The organizing and mobilizing will continue. The army of resistance is growing.
  - Robert Reich

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
I'm going with my husband to the march in Denver. I can't wait! To quote Joe Biden, "it's a big fucking deal."

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »
Thank you golden.  I'm marching because I have had men grab me by the pussy and do not appreciate having this man (who has also done so and describes us as pieces of ass) elevated to our highest office.

I am angry.  I am very angry, and I am also marching against people like you, acroy, who do not care about us, about what people like this man have done to us.  I am marching against trump, I am marching against you, I am marching against the men who grabbed me by the pussy, I am marching against the white evangelical leaders who sold us out for power.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:26:03 AM by jrhampt »

Gal2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE - 2031
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
I wouldn't think of marching because I am a sexual assault survivor and am furious that Obama and Hillary Clinton celebrate that predator - Bill Clinton.

I have zero interest in killing the most vulnerable of our population -- unborn.

I support law enforcement and those who place there lives on the line every day to keep me and my community safe.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
I wouldn't think of marching because I am a sexual assault survivor and am furious that Obama and Hillary Clinton celebrate that predator - Bill Clinton.

I have zero interest in killing the most vulnerable of our population -- unborn.

I support law enforcement and those who place there lives on the line every day to keep me and my community safe.

Aren't you just so cute.  Welcome to the forums!

1) I didn't vote for Bill Clinton, and his indiscretions, which I don't deny, were consensual (If you happen to believe the allegations of rape, these were not widely known before the election).  Trump is on tape talking about "grabbing pussy" and "kissing women" without getting consent first, and this WAS widely known.  But of course, it's the Clintons that concern you.....  If you were a victim of sexual assault, and you voted for Trump, well.....sorry about the Stockholm syndrome, I guess.   

2) So I take it you have adopted children that would have been aborted, or are actively helping and supporting pregnant women?  If not, then don't pretend you care about the unborn, just about controlling people's behavior.

3)  I support law enforcement too, what does that have to do with anything?  Are you saying all protestors disrespect law enforcement?  What an odd notion!   

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »
What's the point?

They could't even get the name right. The march doesn't represent the 42% of women who voted for Trump. The march does not recognize his pro-woman & family policies. "He has embraced gender wage parity, government-mandated maternity leave, and child tax deductions in defiance of his own party. One can debate the wisdom of these ideas, but not that they are intended to help women. And then there are his three female Cabinet appointments, and a fourth woman as U.N. envoy."

http://theweek.com/articles/667163/why-womens-march-washington-already-failed

All the effort & resources going into the March could be pointed in a more useful direction.

Much like your comment. Nothing like telling people what YOU think they should be doing with their time and energy.

Gal2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE - 2031
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 03:06:23 PM »

1) I didn't vote for Bill Clinton, and his indiscretions, which I don't deny, were consensual (If you happen to believe the allegations of rape, these were not widely known before the election).  Trump is on tape talking about "grabbing pussy" and "kissing women" without getting consent first, and this WAS widely known.  But of course, it's the Clintons that concern you.....  If you were a victim of sexual assault, and you voted for Trump, well.....sorry about the Stockholm syndrome, I guess.   

2) So I take it you have adopted children that would have been aborted, or are actively helping and supporting pregnant women?  If not, then don't pretend you care about the unborn, just about controlling people's behavior.

3)  I support law enforcement too, what does that have to do with anything?  Are you saying all protestors disrespect law enforcement?  What an odd notion!

I am cute, though I'm not sure what that really adds to the discussion.  You could also call me "hot" but that would be considered misogynistic by some, which is a big no-no.  So you might want to lay off with the "cutesie" terms.  I'm an adult and have been for 20+ years, kiddo.

Ah. Because everyone who's been sexually assaulted will necessarily find Trump worse than Clinton? -- Yeah.  Your worldview may be a little skewed.  I'll chalk it up to a lack of real-world experience.

And yes, I am all about "controlling peoples' behavior" when it comes to them killing the unborn. But, hey, that's just me -- I'd prefer the "no killing" option and will vote accordingly.

No. I'm saying what I believe -- how's your reading comprehension?  (ah, public schools aren't what they used to be, heh). Though, I do think that a great many folks who would protest the inauguration of a lawfully elected official to be a little suspect in their support of law enforcement -- or they could just be really full of themselves and dreadfully entitled. I'm open to both explanations.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »
If you are going to any demonstrations, please be safe and aware of your surroundings in case things get weird.  It's a weird world!

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »

I am cute, though I'm not sure what that really adds to the discussion.  You could also call me "hot" but that would be considered misogynistic by some, which is a big no-no.  So you might want to lay off with the "cutesie" terms.  I'm an adult and have been for 20+ years, kiddo.

Ah. Because everyone who's been sexually assaulted will necessarily find Trump worse than Clinton? -- Yeah.  Your worldview may be a little skewed.  I'll chalk it up to a lack of real-world experience.

And yes, I am all about "controlling peoples' behavior" when it comes to them killing the unborn. But, hey, that's just me -- I'd prefer the "no killing" option and will vote accordingly.

No. I'm saying what I believe -- how's your reading comprehension?  (ah, public schools aren't what they used to be, heh). Though, I do think that a great many folks who would protest the inauguration of a lawfully elected official to be a little suspect in their support of law enforcement -- or they could just be really full of themselves and dreadfully entitled. I'm open to both explanations.

Awww Gal believes all those paid russian trolls (and PS Russia literally does have an entire state agency dedicated to professional trolling), and thinks drumpf respects' woman.  How "cute" 

And you didn't answer Goldies question.  What are YOU PERSONALLY doing to support woman who cannot support a child that is the result of rape, or extreme poverty.   Because remember, with wanting to repeal Obamacare AND defund Planned Parenthood there are going to be A CRAP TON more unwanted babies coming down the pipeline.  Since it's "all about the poor babies" then I take it that you are a foster parent, have adopted a brood of older orphaned children, work in your states child placement agency full time and donate all your disposable income to said organizations?  If not, then you are a hypocrite and need to stay the hell out of the personal choices of everyone else.

A peaceful protest is the VERY example of respecting and obeying law enforcement, it is a right within this country to publicly assemble.  If you don't realize that, then you are exactly what is wrong with this country. 

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »

I've been assaulted before also and would never consider voting for Trump.  Clinton was consensual, therefore not a predator.  Much different from Trump's actions. 

So since you are just against the "no killing" option and have no interest in supporting those unwanted children after they are born - I'll assume you are against capital punishment as well?  Because any killing is wrong?  Or is it just some killing that is okay in your eyes?

And protesting means we are entitled?  I guess the women protesting for voting rights at President Woodrow Wilson's inauguration were entitled.  I am tired of hearing from Fox News watchers that blindly supporting law enforcement 100% is something to be proud of.  I will 100% support law enforcement when they deserve it and protesting has nothing to do respect or disrespect for law enforcement.    After hearing about events in my community where white and black people were killed by police and the police lied about what happened and then seeing the report on the Chicago PD, no I will not blindly support law enforcement and anyone who does is an idiot. 

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 05:05:36 PM »
I'll be at the march in St. Paul, Minnesota. A number of my coworkers and a few family members are going as well. I'm excited to see Rep. Illhan Omar speak (the nation's first Somali-American legislator at 34 years old). She's really energized a number of communities in the Twin Cities.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 05:26:41 PM »
Lmao, I am 43 years old, so way to assume that I have no real world experience.  I found it cute that you would barge into a thread about the million woman march with those deliberately inflammatory statements that you probably had to guess would offend and upset people.  It doesn't seem very wise to me, or compassionate.

I am puzzled that someone who was sexually assaulted would support Trump, but I can see why they would detest Clinton too.  He is definitely slimy.   I just pointed out that the circumstances around Clinton when he was elected (because I lived through it).  Most people knew about Gennifer Flowers, which was adulterous but consensual.  You know what you are getting with Trump, and it is loathsome.  If it makes you feel better to think I am hypocritical, you enjoy yourself,  like I said above, I could care less.  I am sorry you were assaulted though, it shouldn't happen to anyone.  Trump legitimately traumatized me, to the point that I cried in my husbands arms on election day, and I would think with your experience, you might be less judge and more sympathetic to that. 

Well, good luck with the controlling behavior thing.  It worked so well for prohibition.  So you have adopted one of these "unborn"?  Talked to a woman who is contemplating abortion?  Walked a mile in their shoes?  I used to be like you.  I even wrote anti-abortion letters to my college newspaper.  Then I met a few people, talked to them, developed some empathy and compassion.  I dislike abortion personally myself, but making it illegal will produce more abortions, not less. 

In any case, you've had your fun so I am done engaging.  I would respectfully suggest you go to threads where you aren't intruding on others who are trying to talk about an experience they are looking forward to.  You can do what you like, of course, but I will just not address you any longer.

Good luck to you. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
Lmao, I am 43 years old, so way to assume that I have no real world experience.  I found it cute that you would barge into a thread about the million woman march with those deliberately inflammatory statements that you probably had to guess would offend and upset people.  It doesn't seem very wise to me, or compassionate.

I am puzzled that someone who was sexually assaulted would support Trump, but I can see why they would detest Clinton too.  He is definitely slimy.   I just pointed out that the circumstances around Clinton when he was elected (because I lived through it).  Most people knew about Gennifer Flowers, which was adulterous but consensual.  You know what you are getting with Trump, and it is loathsome.  If it makes you feel better to think I am hypocritical, you enjoy yourself,  like I said above, I could care less.  I am sorry you were assaulted though, it shouldn't happen to anyone.  Trump legitimately traumatized me, to the point that I cried in my husbands arms on election day, and I would think with your experience, you might be less judge and more sympathetic to that. 

Well, good luck with the controlling behavior thing.  It worked so well for prohibition.  So you have adopted one of these "unborn"?  Talked to a woman who is contemplating abortion?  Walked a mile in their shoes?  I used to be like you.  I even wrote anti-abortion letters to my college newspaper.  Then I met a few people, talked to them, developed some empathy and compassion.  I dislike abortion personally myself, but making it illegal will produce more abortions, not less. 

In any case, you've had your fun so I am done engaging.  I would respectfully suggest you go to threads where you aren't intruding on others who are trying to talk about an experience they are looking forward to.  You can do what you like, of course, but I will just not address you any longer.

Good luck to you.
Juanita Broderick says otherwise about that Bill Clinton consensual thing. Just sayin'

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion about the Million Woman March.

As far as the experience y'all are looking forward to, I fully  support any American making peaceful protests. Keep the litter down, and Go for it! I do not support those who are planning to "disrupt" the Trump inagural fedtivities in D.C. Some of their fellow AMericans are traveling far to attend those events and it is wrong, silly, and bullyng to keep them from it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:50:38 PM by iris lily »

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 07:11:22 PM »
Sigh.  Let me spell it out for you.    The "pussy tape" wasn't just alleged but is ON TAPE for the entire world to hear.  No one could argue or deny it, but you chose to vote for him anyway. You 100% without any doubt know what a scumbag he is, but decided that this was A-Ok with you. 

Own that.  Just own it.  Just admit that you know he is a piece of shit who loves groping women, and then we can have a conversation about why that doesn't seem to bother you at all. 

And to reiterate.  I didn't vote for Bill Clinton in either 1992 or 1996.  I think he is slimy too.  So stop trying to paint me as a hypocrite.   

You have no keg to stand on, so stop it.  It's embarrassing. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:13:43 PM by golden1 »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 07:44:26 PM »
Sigh.  Let me spell it out for you.    The "pussy tape" wasn't just alleged but is ON TAPE for the entire world to hear.  No one could argue or deny it, but you chose to vote for him anyway. You 100% without any doubt know what a scumbag he is, but decided that this was A-Ok with you. 

Own that.  Just own it.  Just admit that you know he is a piece of shit who loves groping women, and then we can have a conversation about why that doesn't seem to bother you at all. 

And to reiterate.  I didn't vote for Bill Clinton in either 1992 or 1996.  I think he is slimy too.  So stop trying to paint me as a hypocrite.   

You have no keg to stand on, so stop it.  It's embarrassing.
Are you shouting at me? I cant tell.
I didnt vote for Trump, but whateveah.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »
I'm going to my local march, and a few friends should also be coming. I'm looking forward to spending time with people who think I have worth outside my functions as decorative object and ability to incubate a fetus. As someone who came 'of age' with our last republican president, I feel like I'm coming to the opposition table this time around with a lot more to offer in terms of maturity, commitment, and understanding of what's at stake.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 08:24:27 PM »
I'll be at the march in St. Paul, Minnesota. A number of my coworkers and a few family members are going as well. I'm excited to see Rep. Illhan Omar speak (the nation's first Somali-American legislator at 34 years old). She's really energized a number of communities in the Twin Cities.

Hey, Ruby, I'll be there too!

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 10:43:52 PM »
My wife keeps questioning why someone would vote for a person like Trump. I argue that everyone has their bad qualities, you have to look at the overall picture (sometimes it really is the lesser of two evils). That said, I thoroughly detest Trump. Not just one or two facets. Thoroughly and completely. He's great at manipulating people to get what he wants. The fact that he's president is proof.

I hope he proves us wrong and is a great president, and makes America Great Again. Problem is, my definition of "Great" seems to differ wildly from his.

We're definitely going Saturday (Melbourne). Recent events have made this even more personal than before.

Say what you will about Trump, I honestly don't care THAT much (you're entitled to your wrong opinion). He's not worth the time and energy to get out of bed Saturday, let alone wrangle three kids onto a bus, then a train, then who knows what else (I should start planning this), three hours of protesting, then do everything in reverse to get home.

What IS worth my time and energy is to tell the world that we don't support his and many others' views of women. They are not property to do with as you wish, and throw out like garbage when you're done. They're not things. They're people. I'm bloody furious. There are other messages of hate that people are marching against, such as his stance on refugees. For the record, that pisses me off too; hell, I can't think off the top of my head of any stance he has that DOESN'T piss me off, though I'm sure there's got to be at least one.

Personally, I'm protesting his message of hate toward women.

My wife is protesting out of support for me (I know, that's a bit odd) and against his message of hate toward women.

My oldest son is protesting because he doesn't like Trump in general. And because he can't stay home alone.

Our daughter is going because she's definitely too young to leave home alone, and I think it's important for her.

Our youngest son is going because he's in diapers and can't protest. Wait...I mean he can protest. Against Trump.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:53:15 PM by NumberJohnny5 »

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 03:38:00 AM »
Sorry Iris,

I assumed from your comment about Clinton that you were piggy backing on Galwhatevers post.  My apologies.

Two more days!

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 07:18:39 AM »

Rain or shine!

Probably rain though. In January. In Minnesota. We should build more coal plants tho. o_O

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »

Rain or shine!

Probably rain though. In January. In Minnesota. We should build more coal plants tho. o_O

We've been in the 60s more often than the 20s here in the Midwest this winter.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 08:05:30 AM »
Sorry Iris,

I assumed from your comment about Clinton that you were piggy backing on Galwhatevers post.  My apologies.

Two more days!
That is fine, I could be labelled a Trump sympathizer although I didnt vote for him.But I did vote for
Bill  first time  around, and I do not dislike either of the Clintons. This is all to establish my political credentials which to many people here are important, it seems.

I wont be marchng, have no interest. But as I said earlier, ya'll,Go For It! It is the
American way.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:08:04 AM by iris lily »

Gal2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE - 2031
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 11:44:20 AM »

Good luck to you.

Are you saying that Trump sexually assaulted you? Or the idea of women not having a problem with him "grabbing" their pussies because he's rich is upsetting to you?  I agree, the fact that women would be okay with being treated like a piece of meat (and him treating them like a piece of meat, some 10-15 years ago) is disturbing.  However, I don't think the idea is that far-off from what is normalized in media and in-real life in many peoples' lives.

We've heard over and over again that men like pretty women and women like rich men. And we look far more sideways at a rich older woman with a younger man than the opposite scenario where a rich older man is with a younger (usually pretty) woman.

I see no reason to attack Trump for saying it during a private conversation that he didn't know was being recorded over a decade ago.

So, yeah, I didn't do any marching... other than to go to work today, as usual.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 11:51:24 AM »

I see no reason to attack Trump for saying it during a private conversation that he didn't know was being recorded over a decade ago.

Whoa nelly.  This is an interesting thing to see someone blatantly state.

The leader of the US should not have integrity? 

Your statements are also very telling on your view of women.

The Women's March is tomorrow.  It's not today - the protester's today are directly protesting the inauguration.

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
My wife keeps questioning why someone would vote for a person like Trump. I argue that everyone has their bad qualities, you have to look at the overall picture (sometimes it really is the lesser of two evils). That said, I thoroughly detest Trump. Not just one or two facets. Thoroughly and completely. He's great at manipulating people to get what he wants. The fact that he's president is proof.

I hope he proves us wrong and is a great president, and makes America Great Again. Problem is, my definition of "Great" seems to differ wildly from his.

We're definitely going Saturday (Melbourne). Recent events have made this even more personal than before.

Say what you will about Trump, I honestly don't care THAT much (you're entitled to your wrong opinion). He's not worth the time and energy to get out of bed Saturday, let alone wrangle three kids onto a bus, then a train, then who knows what else (I should start planning this), three hours of protesting, then do everything in reverse to get home.

What IS worth my time and energy is to tell the world that we don't support his and many others' views of women. They are not property to do with as you wish, and throw out like garbage when you're done. They're not things. They're people. I'm bloody furious. There are other messages of hate that people are marching against, such as his stance on refugees. For the record, that pisses me off too; hell, I can't think off the top of my head of any stance he has that DOESN'T piss me off, though I'm sure there's got to be at least one.

Personally, I'm protesting his message of hate toward women.

My wife is protesting out of support for me (I know, that's a bit odd) and against his message of hate toward women.

My oldest son is protesting because he doesn't like Trump in general. And because he can't stay home alone.

Our daughter is going because she's definitely too young to leave home alone, and I think it's important for her.

Our youngest son is going because he's in diapers and can't protest. Wait...I mean he can protest. Against Trump.

Especially if you write "Trump" on the inside of his clean diaper before you put it on him, tee hee!

NumberJohnny5, that was nicely articulated! I did wonder why Americans protesting in Melbourne would be seen negatively in your prior post? Just sorta curious if you care to explain.

I'm going to the Denver march. Not only am I pissed at the horrible misogyny displayed by Loser in Chief during the campaign, but I am even more deeply concerned about the authoritarian overtones, corruption, and basically non-violent coup by Russia that we have experienced (or may have experienced...but whether Congress investigates with even 1/10th the vigor of the Benghazi or Clinton email scandals remains doubtful IMO). I'm also protesting my asshole Senator, Cory Gardner, who has been ignoring me and many of his other constituents in his votes to get rid of the ACA regardless of whether there's any comparable replacement and regardless of the effect it will have on many people I know, and probably myself (up to and including indefinite inability to FIRE). As far as I know he hasn't snuck out of a meeting like Coffman the Coward, but he hasn't responded to the issue in a way I would consider satisfactory.

cj25

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »

No one seemed to mind when Bill was fucking everything in sight.  I do recall most people said that's his personal life and not our business.

I would venture to guess most men have exaggerated about things done with women and have made some kind of sexual comment about them. 

Not saying it's right (or wrong), just pointing out the hypocrisy.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 01:44:16 PM »
You do realize there is a difference between cheating (being an ass) and non-consensual sexual behavior (better known as criminal assault) don't you?

cj25

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »
Bill's transgressions were not all consensual.  Give me a break.  Sooooo many reports of him being a groper. I knew someone who was groped by him as he got off a plane going to a meeting. 

And quite frankly, integrity would allow neither.

Gal2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE - 2031
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »

Whoa nelly.  This is an interesting thing to see someone blatantly state.

Your statements are also very telling on your view of women.

The Women's March is tomorrow.  It's not today - the protester's today are directly protesting the inauguration.

How's that not integrity?  I honestly don't understand.  Do you expect every conversation you've ever had (think back) to be content for the public view? No-- well, I don't think Trump did, either.  Or do you think him mentioning the willingness of women to be responsive to crude sexual advances because he's rich to be something unethical?  I don't.  Crass - yes. Unethical - no.  I don't think it shows a lack of integrity, either. -- It's realism.

Go to our own MMM forums  and you'll see folks plainly state that rich men usually go for beautiful women and women are attracted to money (and often these women are "bartering" their beauty and sexuality in return for a high profile "rich" lifestyle).  It's no secret. I'm not sure why everyone is upset about it.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 02:52:05 PM »
Integrity = being the same person in private and in public.

You state that you see no reason to attack Trump for something he said "during a private conversation that he didn't know was being recorded".  This implies that he wouldn't have said it had he known he was being recorded.  So yes - in my book that is a lack of integrity.

I don't want every conversation I've had to be content for the public view but I guarantee you that I have never said anything along the lines of that statement made by Trump. 

Gal2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE - 2031
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »

You state that you see no reason to attack Trump for something he said "during a private conversation that he didn't know was being recorded".  This implies that he wouldn't have said it had he known he was being recorded.  So yes - in my book that is a lack of integrity.

I don't want every conversation I've had to be content for the public view but I guarantee you that I have never said anything along the lines of that statement made by Trump.

Ok. But you also probably don't have women hanging out with (and on) you simply because you're a billionaire, either. Maybe you do have a few billion dollars in the bank and are living the high life -- but I highly doubt it, given the nature of this forum.

And this is the thing. He probably wouldn't have been so crude -- but we've all be crude at one time or another, I suspect (unless you are vastly different from every person I know) if he knew he was being recorded.  He probably would have said something along the lines that he has no trouble getting laid and getting handsy with ladies because they are after his money.  In fact, women welcome his advances because he is rich.  --- and if you think that's a lie, you're definitely fooling yourself.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 04:06:36 PM »

Ok. But you also probably don't have women hanging out with (and on) you simply because you're a billionaire, either. Maybe you do have a few billion dollars in the bank and are living the high life -- but I highly doubt it, given the nature of this forum.

And this is the thing. He probably wouldn't have been so crude -- but we've all be crude at one time or another, I suspect (unless you are vastly different from every person I know) if he knew he was being recorded.  He probably would have said something along the lines that he has no trouble getting laid and getting handsy with ladies because they are after his money.  In fact, women welcome his advances because he is rich.  --- and if you think that's a lie, you're definitely fooling yourself.

Well said. You won't convince many in this thread, but well said.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 04:44:42 PM »
Of course we are all crude sometimes. I occasionally use a swear word even though my husband will call me out on it. My fundamental character is not such that in private you would ever hear me disparaging gays, men, women, minoritaire, whatever or talking about assisting someone or otherwise violating human rights and decency. We are talking about whether someone is fundamentally a good person versus being a predator with a thin veneer of civility that is put on for public consumption. Don't even pretend they are the same thing.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 04:49:09 PM »

Ok. But you also probably don't have women hanging out with (and on) you simply because you're a billionaire, either.

So that excuses it?  Maybe we're all being fooled, but I would be surprised to hear if Bill Gates was a groper.  Probably not Warren Buffett either.

It's not the crudeness that's the issue.  It's the fact that he didn't get permission before groping which is the issue.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 04:52:34 PM »

No one seemed to mind when .....

Many people did mind.  But that's not what we're discussing here.  I am appalled every time I see +rump or K Conway saying on the news "yeah, but so and so did x".  Who cares?  Two wrongs do not make a right, or does no one remember that?  I can't believe we keep allowing serious questions to get sidetracked by this type of maneuver. 

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »
I'm going to the Women's March in Atlanta, along with my husband and three daughters.

As for supporting Trump because of the abortion issue, many pro-life friends, including a former Catholic nun, chose to vote for H. Clinton because they see the Democratic platform as reducing the need for abortion and supporting women (through social services programs) so they could raise children they might otherwise consider aborting.

To wit, http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-us-abortion-rates-20170117-story.html. It's not all about Roe v Wade.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:20:17 PM by VBACmama »

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2017, 05:06:58 PM »
I'm going to the Boston march.  So glad for the opportunity to share my voice with other folks who are horrified by DJT and all he stands for.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2017, 05:13:18 PM »
At any rate, it's a justifiable desire that our president be a better human than average.  I don't like the way Trump did business, stiffing his contractors, discriminating by race, his four major bankruptcies and other losses, and in the end probably not making any more money than he would have by investing in index funds.  If he is such a magic guy, why did his own home state, among several states where he did much business, reject him so soundly?

The sexual harassment is just the cherry on top to a dishonest, greedy, man who is no more a patriot than I am Vladimir Putin.

He's a blowhard who will run this country into the ground. 

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2017, 07:07:18 PM »
What's the point?

Thanks for the mansplaining.

Thanks for clearing that up, little lady. Are you offended? Any chance you might reconsider your choice of the word "mansplaining"?

Oh, I forgot, insulting men is okay.

That's right honky, deal with it.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »
I had signed up for a bus but it couldn't get confirmed so Rally refunded my money. I decided I would rather make a difference by taking action locally, helping women's groups specifically.  Many friends are marching so I'm there in spirit.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:56:05 PM by snogirl »