Author Topic: Make Donald Drumpf Again  (Read 33594 times)

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Make Donald Drumpf Again
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2016, 11:39:52 AM »
It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that Trumpf is not a motivated racist.  He doesn't really care about racism in terms of wanting to actively oppress anyone.  He cares about APPEARING to be a racist because a) it ignites a base of people who are actually racist and b) incenses people who aren't racist and keeps his name in the news.  It is just another Trump con job like everything else he has done in the last 20 years. 

Trump isn't scary for who he is, he is scary for the mirror he is holding up reflecting who WE are.  In some ways, perhaps we should be grateful because now we know that there are a significant amount of people in this country that are either racist themselves or are fine with someone acting racist provided they actually talk about the problems that they believe affect them.  We know now that people are completely okay with a President saying openly racist statements as long as they "Win".

Like they say, we get the country we deserve.  It is just too bad for the world's sake that we have all those nukes.  When we burn like Rome, the world will burn with us.   

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »
It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that Trumpf is not a motivated racist. 

Maybe it's not obvious to me because I have 2 brain halves. I don't pretend to know what his real feelings are re racism. But I think if you are willing to say racist things and encourage racial animus to advance your own personal agenda and accumulation of power, that makes you a racist.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2016, 12:19:34 PM »
Maybe it's not obvious to me because I have 2 brain halves. I don't pretend to know what his real feelings are re racism. But I think if you are willing to say racist things and encourage racial animus to advance your own personal agenda and accumulation of power, that makes you a racist.

As others have noted before me, he is either racist or pretending to be a racist, and at some point there is no longer any difference.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »
Right, what I meant by saying he is not a "motivated" racist is that while he may have some internal racist leanings (who really knows), it isn't the real driver of his agenda.  He is just using racism to get attention because being a narcissist, the only thing that motivates him is being the center of attention.  Racism is just a means to that end for him.  Functionally, there is no difference because he is motivating racists no matter what his personal feelings are on the matter.  I personally think he started throwing out inflammatory statements during his rallies, saw that the racist stuff got the most press, and just kept going. 

The man, if elected president, is going to make a fortune for psychoanalyst commentators everywhere. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2016, 12:50:58 PM »
If your a supporter of Trump or not IF you really read about the man growing up and what long time people have to say about him and his character and his actions now are to just get elected. Perhaps Naive but i dont see The real man being anything like the man you have seen thus far nor believe he would follow through with half of the anger things he brings. He picked a way he feels he can win. Right? maybe not so but the Poloticians all lie and as far as Hillary goes her last name ends in Clinton. Pretty much means do whatever you want and get out of jail free. I am one of those "angry people " talk so much about in the news and the establishments but I would take my chances with Trump before Hilliary any day of the week.

This is about the millionth time I have read that it is ok.  Trump is not really like this, he is just saying that to get elected.  The problem is he is inciting hate and bigotry in the public.  There has already been riots.  I hope the GOP put an end to this ASAP, so he can get off of the main stage.  This is scary already.

In my opinion, you're highlighting part of Trump's campaign genius.

He says lots of crazy shit, so that everyone knows that the stuff coming from his mouth is chock full of lies.  This frees him from really having a platform to criticize.  He becomes a political Rorschach test.  His supporters only see the policies that they support and discount anything they don't as 'just something he's saying to get votes'.

Probably at least partially true. The man sure knows how to campaign.  When Trump is president, do you think he'll kinda wind up being just like our current president? Runs his mouth a lot, but in the end, compromise to the middle to get things done?  I can't imagine he'll actually stick to all of his talking points - there would be no point. (not that this is different from any other politician, with perhaps the exception of Senator Bernie Sanders.)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2016, 12:54:45 PM »
Right, what I meant by saying he is not a "motivated" racist is that while he may have some internal racist leanings (who really knows), it isn't the real driver of his agenda.  He is just using racism to get attention because being a narcissist, the only thing that motivates him is being the center of attention.  Racism is just a means to that end for him.  Functionally, there is no difference because he is motivating racists no matter what his personal feelings are on the matter.  I personally think he started throwing out inflammatory statements during his rallies, saw that the racist stuff got the most press, and just kept going. 

The man, if elected president, is going to make a fortune for psychoanalyst commentators everywhere. 

Hard to say. And as Sol mentions, it doesn't really matter. Drumpf has done a number of racially questionable things over the years, such as re the Central Park Five, the Obama birther movement, etc. It's not just a recent thing on the campaign trail.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2016, 05:47:23 AM »

I actually think he is very deliberately inciting racism against multiple groups of people to manipulate the pent up racist leanings in a large portion of the population into supporting him.

I don't care if the reasoning is narcissism or a sincere racist belief. That attitude is despicable and deplorable.

I do not have anything against tightening immigration and firming up policies regarding illegal immigrants. But I most certainly am not ok with someone manipulating people's emotions and leveraging their preexisting racism towards entire nationalities purely to further that goal, which is exactly what Trump is doing.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2016, 05:54:02 AM »
If your a supporter of Trump or not IF you really read about the man growing up and what long time people have to say about him and his character and his actions now are to just get elected. Perhaps Naive but i dont see The real man being anything like the man you have seen thus far nor believe he would follow through with half of the anger things he brings. He picked a way he feels he can win. Right? maybe not so but the Poloticians all lie and as far as Hillary goes her last name ends in Clinton. Pretty much means do whatever you want and get out of jail free. I am one of those "angry people " talk so much about in the news and the establishments but I would take my chances with Trump before Hilliary any day of the week.

This is about the millionth time I have read that it is ok.  Trump is not really like this, he is just saying that to get elected.  The problem is he is inciting hate and bigotry in the public.  There has already been riots.  I hope the GOP put an end to this ASAP, so he can get off of the main stage.  This is scary already.

He says lots of crazy shit, so that everyone knows that the stuff coming from his mouth is chock full of lies.  This frees him from really having a platform to criticize.  He becomes a political Rorschach test.  His supporters only see the policies that they support and discount anything they don't as 'just something he's saying to get votes'.

Probably at least partially true. The man sure knows how to campaign.  When Trump is president, do you think he'll kinda wind up being just like our current president? Runs his mouth a lot, but in the end, compromise to the middle to get things done?  I can't imagine he'll actually stick to all of his talking points - there would be no point. (not that this is different from any other politician, with perhaps the exception of Senator Bernie Sanders.)

I have this gut feeling that a president Trump would be nothing like the campaigning Trump, and that he might actually make a good president.  It's just a gut feeling though, and probably unpopular on this forum.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2016, 06:50:50 AM »

I have this gut feeling that a president Trump would be nothing like the campaigning Trump, and that he might actually make a good president.  It's just a gut feeling though, and probably unpopular on this forum.

YES!  Thank you for proving my point.  This is exactly what I'm talking about!  You have listened to what he said, decided that the really crazy stuff is all lies, and then seen what you want to see in the guy.  Totally what I was saying.  He's a political chameleon . . . because he lies about everything he can be anything you want him to be.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2016, 07:09:25 AM »
I have this gut feeling that a president Drumpf would be nothing like the campaigning Drumpf, and that he might actually make a good president.  It's just a gut feeling though, and probably unpopular on this forum.

This is very common with people with personality disorders actually.  Many times, the extreme nature of their personalities gives them a raw charisma combined with an actual void in true character that allows people to project their needs and desires onto that person.   The reason why people don't know what Trump is going to do when he is president is probably because he doesn't know what he is going to do himself.  He also just has a "gut feeling" that things are going to go well.  So people project what they want him to be onto him. 

Even if he blatantly unsuccessful, he will still convince a lot of people that he was successful.  He can't help it. His psyche can't tolerate failure and so therefore he is just this shell and caricature of a human being with no real substance at all. 

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2016, 08:05:54 AM »

YES!  Thank you for proving my point.  This is exactly what I'm talking about!  You have listened to what he said, decided that the really crazy stuff is all lies, and then seen what you want to see in the guy.  Totally what I was saying.  He's a political chameleon . . . because he lies about everything he can be anything you want him to be.

I've lived in the DC area long enough to just ignore the presidential stuff anymore.  It's non-stop all year every year.  I don't pay much attention to what either of the candidates says right now, it's still the primaries and they're appealing to a different base.  You're right, none of us know what he's really thinking or might do in a presidency.  People always see what they want to see when they support a particular candidate.  Politics is the art of the possible. 

I could be wrong, naturally, and he really could be bat-shit crazy.  But my gut tells me otherwise, and I'll trust my gut over punditry any day of the week.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2016, 08:07:25 AM »

I've lived in the DC area long enough to just ignore the presidential stuff anymore.  It's non-stop all year every year.  I don't pay much attention to what either of the candidates says right now, it's still the primaries and they're appealing to a different base.  You're right, none of us know what he's really thinking or might do in a presidency.  People always see what they want to see when they support a particular candidate.  Politics is the art of the possible. 

I could be wrong, naturally, and he really could be bat-shit crazy.  But my gut tells me otherwise, and I'll trust my gut over punditry any day of the week.

But you're saying that you trust your gut that essentially anything he is saying is probably not even true.  You are trusting that he will be essentially entirely different from the way he presents himself -- and in a positive way.

That's one hell of a gut you've got there.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2016, 08:17:48 AM »
I have this gut feeling that a president Drumpf would be nothing like the campaigning Drumpf, and that he might actually make a good president.  It's just a gut feeling though, and probably unpopular on this forum.

This is very common with people with personality disorders actually.  Many times, the extreme nature of their personalities gives them a raw charisma combined with an actual void in true character that allows people to project their needs and desires onto that person.   The reason why people don't know what Trump is going to do when he is president is probably because he doesn't know what he is going to do himself.  He also just has a "gut feeling" that things are going to go well.  So people project what they want him to be onto him. 

Even if he blatantly unsuccessful, he will still convince a lot of people that he was successful.  He can't help it. His psyche can't tolerate failure and so therefore he is just this shell and caricature of a human being with no real substance at all.

What you've really just described (personality disorder implication aside) is what the presidency is all about. 

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2016, 08:23:18 AM »

LOL, you should see it, it's impressive.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »

What you've really just described (personality disorder implication aside) is what the presidency is all about.

But . . . but . . . but, Trump has assured us, “I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things."  People, he has a very good brain!  /s/

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »

But you're saying that you trust your gut that essentially anything he is saying is probably not even true.  You are trusting that he will be essentially entirely different from the way he presents himself -- and in a positive way.

I would assume that most people who believe Trump is just putting on a show now, would consider him "entirely different" to be a likely positive thing.  I'd say he's just going with the odds there.  As I have pointed out before, Trump is not crazy, and the bombastic public image is deliberately cultivated.  He says as much in his book The Art of the Deal.  If you have never read it, it will offer some interesting perspectives on Trump's techniques from Trump himself.

hedgefund10

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »
For those of you who think Donald Trump is putting on a show. 1987 the message is the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=157&v=MOKi5YeNtRI

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
For those of you who think Donald Trump is putting on a show. 1987 the message is the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=157&v=MOKi5YeNtRI

I think you posted the wrong link.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2016, 07:31:29 PM »

LOL, you should see it, it's impressive.

Classy. :D

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!