Author Topic: Major Upset in USA politics  (Read 80059 times)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
Re: Major Upset in USA politics
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
As someone running for office, he CAN'T give the democrats a sound bite of him saying he's against the minimum wage. Let's be honest though, he's a free market guy, he IS for abolishing the minimum wage. I think he was very ill-prepared for that interview (his fault...everyone knows that's MSNBC's m.o.) and didn't expect that sort of "gotcha" question. Given that being the only experience someone had hearing him speak, I'd agree with you, but if you listen to him speak on a regular basis, it's quite clear, this guy knows his economics.
I've listened to him, and even looked him up on google scholar.  His lack of article is a bother when you are a researcher, but even giving that a pass, he does not seem like he understand economic policy.  Give that his degree should make he able to have a conversation about this at ANY time, and he does not seem to have a good plan, I personally don't like him nor do I think he sounds intelligent.  There have been many republicans who I disagreed with but could have intelligent conversation, he does not seem among them.  And, side question, if he truly believes in no minimum wage and presumably would fight for that, why not go on record?   

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2014, 09:56:11 AM »
And, side question, if he truly believes in no minimum wage and presumably would fight for that, why not go on record?   

Sounds like one of those liberal 'gotcha' questions to me. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »
If your core beliefs are so repugnant to the average person that they can be used as 'gotcha' questions, there's probably something wrong with your running for public office.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #303 on: July 11, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »
If your core beliefs are so repugnant to the average person that they can be used as 'gotcha' questions, there's probably something wrong with your running for public office.

Reminds me of when The Daily Show had a Sarah Palin supporter on. Samantha Bee was interviewing the supporter and says "Don't you hate when the media reads verbatim quotes or shows unedited video and Governor Palin sounds stupid?". "Yes, the media is so biased against her."

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #304 on: July 11, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »

Reminds me of when The Daily Show had a Sarah Palin supporter on. Samantha Bee was interviewing the supporter and says "Don't you hate when the media reads verbatim quotes or shows unedited video and Governor Palin sounds stupid?". "Yes, the media is so biased against her."
ROFL

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #305 on: July 23, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »

First off, I am in no way implying that Sarah Palin would have made a good V.P.

But, taking a stupid quote that a politician said and using that as evidence they would be a bad (insert office position here) because of it, is kind of ridiculous when you realize they are being recorded pretty much 24-7. I have said plenty of stupid things in my life.

For example, Obama said the following "I've now been in 57 states — I think one left to go." —at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon, May 9, 2008. Does that make him unfit for office? No, he just said something stupid.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: July 23, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »
50 mainland + Puerto Rico + American Samoa + Guam + US Virgin Islands + Northern Mariana Islands + DC makes 56. That is an odd statement for sure, but it's probably counting those territories... I hope... or a senior moment. "Esther, how many states are there again?" "48, you old coot!"

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: July 23, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »
...or a joke?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: July 23, 2014, 10:23:40 PM »
Surely, nobody would quote a joke and present it as something said seriously. Right? Right???????????????????????????????????

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #309 on: July 24, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

While he has said some pretty funny jokes, I do not believe this was one of them. He just said something stupid. Once again not saying he makes a horrible president because he said something stupid once. Just trying to counter argue one of the previous posts. Apply the same litmus test for each side if you are being honest.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #310 on: July 24, 2014, 08:53:33 PM »

While he has said some pretty funny jokes, I do not believe this was one of them. He just said something stupid. Once again not saying he makes a horrible president because he said something stupid once. Just trying to counter argue one of the previous posts. Apply the same litmus test for each side if you are being honest.

Did Palin say something stupid once?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #311 on: July 24, 2014, 09:06:36 PM »

Did Palin say something stupid once?
Lol, you have a point.  :D

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: July 24, 2014, 09:16:02 PM »
No one is saying Democrats are geniuses and never mix words up and Republicans are all unintelligent rednecks. But Sarah Palin made colossal "mistakes" over and over again. At some point you have to admit she is ignorant on a lot of topics but pretends she's not.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #313 on: July 25, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »
I secretly harbour the opinion that nobody can be as stupid as she presents herself . . . the only explanation is that Sarah Palin is the world's greatest real life internet troll.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: July 25, 2014, 09:00:20 AM »
"A man I'm proud to call my friend. A man who will be the next President of the United States — Barack America!"

Joe Biden, at his first campaign rally with Barack Obama after being announced as his running mate, Springfield, Ill., Aug. 23, 2008

"His mom lived in Long Island for ten years or so. God rest her soul. And- although, she's- wait- your mom's still- your mom's still alive. Your dad passed. God bless her soul."

Joe Biden, on the mother of Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen, who is very much alive, Washington, D.C., March 17, 2010

"Stand up, Chuck, let'em see ya."

Joe Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair, Columbia, Missouri, Sept. 12, 2008

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened."

Joe Biden, apparently unaware that FDR wasn't president when the stock market crashed in 1929 and that only experimental TV sets were in use at that time, interview with Katie Couric, Sept. 22, 2008

"Look, John's last-minute economic plan does nothing to tackle the number-one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S, jobs."

Joe Biden, Athens, Ohio, Oct. 15, 2008

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.... I'm not joking."

Joe Biden, in a private remark to an Indian-American man caught on C-SPAN, June, 2006

Once again, my argument is not that Sarah Palin was a good candidate, or would have been a good VP. I am just trying to point out the hypocrisy of those who see something as a big deal only if it pertains to someone belonging to the other party. Similar  hypocrisy would be Newt Gingrich trying to preach about family values and being against gay marriage when he should be the last to talk about family values with his track record. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #315 on: July 25, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »
"A man I'm proud to call my friend. A man who will be the next President of the United States — Barack America!"

Joe Biden, at his first campaign rally with Barack Obama after being announced as his running mate, Springfield, Ill., Aug. 23, 2008

"His mom lived in Long Island for ten years or so. God rest her soul. And- although, she's- wait- your mom's still- your mom's still alive. Your dad passed. God bless her soul."

Joe Biden, on the mother of Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen, who is very much alive, Washington, D.C., March 17, 2010

Joe Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair, Columbia, Missouri, Sept. 12, 2008

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened."

Joe Biden, apparently unaware that FDR wasn't president when the stock market crashed in 1929 and that only experimental TV sets were in use at that time, interview with Katie Couric, Sept. 22, 2008

"Look, John's last-minute economic plan does nothing to tackle the number-one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S, jobs."

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.... I'm not joking."

Joe Biden, in a private remark to an Indian-American man caught on C-SPAN, June, 2006

Once again, my argument is not that Sarah Palin was a good candidate, or would have been a good VP. I am just trying to point out the hypocrisy of those who see something as a big deal only if it pertains to someone belonging to the other party. Similar  hypocrisy would be Newt Gingrich trying to preach about family values and being against gay marriage when he should be the last to talk about family values with his track record.
I bet you are not involved in democratic politics much?  Because Mr. Biden has been given a hard time for his multiple verbal slip ups.  There were many surprised that Mr. Obama picked him, because lord, that man should not talk on the record.  Smart man, but wow, his verbal slips are embarrassing.  But the difference is a slip up versus actually meaning what you say.   

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #316 on: July 25, 2014, 12:48:11 PM »

I bet you are not involved in democratic politics much?  Because Mr. Biden has been given a hard time for his multiple verbal slip ups.  There were many surprised that Mr. Obama picked him, because lord, that man should not talk on the record.  Smart man, but wow, his verbal slips are embarrassing.  But the difference is a slip up versus actually meaning what you say.   

Wow the bias is strong with this one.

One: no one has even posted what phrase Sarah Palin said that you are talking about. You are just giving a blatant generalization of everything stupid Palin has said show real stupidity and completely dismissed everything Biden has said. Wow.

Two: The only thing I remember from the campaign (not counting everything she has said after the campaign), is that a lot of people talked way too much about her clothing, and that she messed up in that Couric interview, but there wasn't anything that was distastful in it, just that she hadn't read up on all the issues at the time.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: July 25, 2014, 01:21:35 PM »
TL;DR this thread: "The people have spoken - the bastards."

Franklin

• Stubble
« Reply #318 on: July 25, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »
Crap, the thread lives on!

[Mod Edit: The above is the latest post, and now, 11 days later with no response, it appears everyone has said what they want to say, so I'm locking this thread.  Cheers!]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:21:49 PM by arebelspy »