Author Topic: Laphroaig - 10 year aged  (Read 4153 times)

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
Laphroaig - 10 year aged
« on: July 26, 2018, 07:20:40 PM »
*sip*

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Laphroaig - 10 year aged
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 08:03:50 PM »
no! smoke and salt is so unrefined!

I only accept the fine elegance from speyside. :P

what do you like most about Laphroaig10? the layers?

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »
I also drink Laphroaig when I want something that tastes like Gary Busey's urine soaked into campfire ashes. I guess it's an acquired taste though...

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »
lol that's a little harsh. I enjoy the smell of Laphroaig10 in small doses, but ya, the taste is a bit much for me personally.

*sipping Aberlour 12*

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »
You guys are hysterically funny.

I had a Laphroaig that was triple oaked and it was the best scotch ever.  I thought I'd try the aged but it doesn't measure up.  I like the smoke.  It is vaguely like a brisket.  I won't buy this one again though.  Unless I can get the triple oaked again.  The Speyside is also good.

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
  • Absolute power doesn't corrupt, it reveals.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
Lagavulin 16, for me.

When people talk about Scotch whisky, maritime imagery comes up a lot. So let’s start with a beach metaphor.

Wonderful Glenmorangie is like visiting a beach in San Diego. It’s great! It’s 85 degrees, it’s sunny, the water is warm, and everybody’s having a fantastic time. Lagavulin is like a visit to the Oregon Coast. Describe the experience objectively—it’s cold, it’s grey, it’s rainy, there’s not much to do and certainly no place to swim without a dry suit or a death wish—and some might wonder why bother going at all. To others, there’s nowhere else in the world they’d rather be.

Sunny beaches are terrific. But sometimes you need an experience with a little more grit, something that reflects the grimy, complex, trying, sometimes objectively bad experience of real life. For times like that, there’s Lagavulin. It’s peaty, medicinal, pungent, smoky, a Band-aid factory in the throes of catastrophic meltdown, and when you really need it, nothing else will do.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/scotch-whiskey/whisky-review-lagavulin-16-year-old/

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 12:28:09 PM »
lol that's a little harsh. I enjoy the smell of Laphroaig10 in small doses, but ya, the taste is a bit much for me personally.

*sipping Aberlour 12*

I love Aberlour! Best grocery/convenience store scotch I've had. I also like the price.

*I have poor taste in scotch though

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »
I'm a big Laphroaig fan, but Lagavulin is my go-to favorite. They are fairly similar and located pretty close to each other. If I recall correctly, they actually shared facilities for a while and there were some lawsuits over some alleged stolen recipes.

I love the peat and smoke. I can't remember which one I was drinking, but one day my wife came home from work and asked me, from across the room, if I had been smoking. No honey, just drinking some scotch.

If you really want to get into the seaside flavor, get some Talisker Storm. I swear it tastes like the ocean.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »
Laphroaig 10 cask strength. Best I've ever had.
Gift from DW 2 birthdays ago, still have 2/3 of the bottle...

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »

I love Aberlour! Best grocery/convenience store scotch I've had. I also like the price.

I know, right? I used to pay a lot for Belvenie then I discovered Aberlour, which costs only a fraction of the price...

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 02:07:12 PM »

I know, right? I used to pay a lot for Belvenie then I discovered Aberlour, which costs only a fraction of the price...

It's always awkward when I tell people I only drink scotch. When I say that they think I'm a scotch snob, and then I have to explain that I drink convenience store scotch, I don't like most 'fancy' scotches, and that I'm as far from a snob about scotch as you can get. It just so happens that I like drinking Aberlour, and not most other alcoholic beverages.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 07:46:54 AM »
A friend had us over for dinner and at one point in the evening said something along the lines of "Try this, it's awful!" And so we did, because curiosity leads to bad decisions at least some of the time.  The "like kissing a mermaid that had BBQ for dinner" bit on the Laphroaig packaging lead it to become known as "the mermaid fart whiskey" amongst our little group of people that will never drink it ever again. 

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »
If I PM you my address, can you drop what's left of the bottle in the mail?

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 07:57:08 AM »
We ended up passing it along to my father, who apparently enjoyed the flavor of licking an ashtray.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
I like a nice Laphroaig. Talisker 10 year happens to be my favorite, especially when I think about value.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 05:23:44 AM »
Laphroaig tastes like floor cleaner, absolutely rotten stuff

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 07:11:54 AM »
My wife and I have occasional whisky tasting evenings with friends, because we don't have to admit we're no longer young if it's whisky tasting instead of a dinner party. Of the seven of us, only I and one other can stomach Laphroaig. It's amazing whisky, although I can see why plenty of people regard it as the equivalent of burning petrol.

Incidentally, for anyone who likes it, there's an Irish whiskey called Connemara Peated which does more or less exactly what it says on the tin - it's like Laphroaig, except Irish rather than Scotch.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 10:12:05 AM »
The stamp at the top of the carton the bottle comes in reads "Dividing opinions since 1815."  Quite amusing.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
um....To all those who don't like it pm me, I'll send you my PO box.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 01:24:27 PM »
just checked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laphroaig_distillery

Yep, comes in that little sleive. Man, I love that stuff. Takes a lot of will power not to drink the whole bottle at a time; lukewarm, un-iced glass.

Just curious, do people here not like Scotch or just not Laphroaig? I love both.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »
just checked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laphroaig_distillery

Yep, comes in that little sleive. Man, I love that stuff. Takes a lot of will power not to drink the whole bottle at a time; lukewarm, un-iced glass.

Just curious, do people here not like Scotch or just not Laphroaig? I love both.

I assume it's the strong peat smoke flavor, but maybe there's more to it than that. The only single malt Islay I've had is McClelland's and I like the smoke but I don't know how it compares to Laphroaig. When I see descriptors like band aids and urine I don't know what to think.

Maybe someone can enlighten me? Is it the strong peat that turns people off or is Laphroaig "unique"?

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 03:04:59 PM »
I've been reading Raw Spirit by sci-fi master and noted Scotch enthusiast Iain Banks, and he mentions that 1) Islay is the most polarising of Scotch regions, 2) the southern side of Islay produces the most polarising Islay whiskies, and 3) Laphroaig produces the most polarising of the southern Islays. It's barely the same substance - loving whiskies and despising Laphroaig is a perfectly reasonable position to hold.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 07:06:21 PM »
Sipping on this one again tonight.  Haterz hate on!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 07:25:53 PM »
In town at the family beach beach house, where the Laphroaig is stored, for a Scottish highland games festival. Needless to say there won't be any Laphroaig here after this weekend. However, the only scotch I have to compare it to is Grants....Yeah I know.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »
Tastes like bandaids to me.  Seriously, open a box of bandaids, smell it, and then take a sip of Laphroaig.  I don't know how they matched it so well. 

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 03:30:18 AM »
Laphroaig does nothing for me.  Highland Park, on the other hand.... nectar of the gods.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2018, 09:27:24 AM »
I love a good Speyside for casual consumption, but if I'm really looking to savor something, a good Islay malt is the way to go. Tons of flavor that practically forces you to sip slowly and mindfully.

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 09:30:28 AM »
Aberlour 12 is a great value. Angel's Envy is too. Yamazaki 12 is my life is short purchase.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2018, 10:15:34 AM »
Tastes like bandaids to me.  Seriously, open a box of bandaids, smell it, and then take a sip of Laphroaig.  I don't know how they matched it so well.

Bahahahaha my husband and I have said this for YEARS, our Scotch loving friend thinks we are nuts.  Glad to know I'm not the only one.  It's the only booze we opened, tried, and promptly found someone to offload it to.  The overwhelming bandaid smell was instantaneous. 

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »

Bahahahaha my husband and I have said this for YEARS, our Scotch loving friend thinks we are nuts.  Glad to know I'm not the only one.  It's the only booze we opened, tried, and promptly found someone to offload it to.  The overwhelming bandaid smell was instantaneous.

A number of years ago I was interested in learning about whiskey.  I asked some of my friends for recommendations, and one recommended Laphroaig.  I told my brother, he paused, and said, "does he hate you?" 

I had one drink and gifted the bottle to my "friend".  Like you it was the only bottle of booze I've ever intended to keep for myself and ended up giving away. 

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »

A number of years ago I was interested in learning about whiskey.  I asked some of my friends for recommendations, and one recommended Laphroaig.  I told my brother, he paused, and said, "does he hate you?" 

I had one drink and gifted the bottle to my "friend".  Like you it was the only bottle of booze I've ever intended to keep for myself and ended up giving away.
Damn, that guy is clever. He figured out how to get free scotch.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »
*sip*

Added a splash of lime juice this time.