Author Topic: Is this string holder offensive?  (Read 17336 times)

GenXbiker

• Bristles
Re: Is this string holder offensive?
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2017, 06:51:55 AM »
So is a product like Aunt Jemima offensive?

Curious as to everyone's thoughts.

No, not at all offensive to me - never was.  I didn't pay much attention to it, though - it looks like they changed the bottle at some point, and I didn't even notice.  I don't use the product.  It seems most people are too sensitive to things these days.  This political correctness stuff has gotten out of hand.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2017, 07:03:41 AM »

No, not at all offensive to me - never was.  I didn't pay much attention to it, though - it looks like they changed the bottle at some point, and I didn't even notice.  I don't use the product.  It seems most people are too sensitive to things these days.  This political correctness stuff has gotten out of hand.

Interesting.  How strongly would you say that racism has impacted your life personally?  Have you ever been the subject of racist comments on the street, profiled by police for the colour of your skin, or found it harder to get a job than your white classmates?

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2017, 07:34:09 AM »

Interesting.  How strongly would you say that racism has impacted your life personally?  Have you ever been the subject of racist comments on the street, profiled by police for the colour of your skin, or found it harder to get a job than your white classmates?

Yeah, everything hasn't just been peaches and cream for me.

Here's another crazy example in more recent news:

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/08/29/dumping-chief-illiniwek-mascot-university-illinois-gets-rid-war-chant-song/

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2017, 07:54:22 AM »

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/08/29/dumping-chief-illiniwek-mascot-university-illinois-gets-rid-war-chant-song/

LOL -- of course it's a Breitbart article.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:11:41 AM by Kris »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2017, 07:55:35 AM »

You seem to have forgotten to answer any of my questions in your response.

It's pretty obvious that using a racial stereotype caricature as a mascot for a university sports team is way over the line and into the realm of bad taste.  Good for them for banning it's usage in 2005 . . . sad that it took that long to fix the problem though.

My understanding after some cursory online digging is that the 'war chant' song was simply instrumental, so it does seem like banning it is a bit over the top.  I don't know all the related details though.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2017, 08:08:49 AM »

It's pretty obvious that using a racial stereotype caricature as a mascot for a university sports team is way over the line and into the realm of bad taste.  Good for them for banning it's usage in 2005 . . . sad that it took that long to fix the problem though.

My understanding after some cursory online digging is that the 'war chant' song was simply instrumental, so it does seem like banning it is a bit over the top.  I don't know all the related details though.

Chief Illiniwek was actually banned by Illinois in 2007, when he last performed.  I recall some years later, in a poll, that the vast majority of U of I students wanted to bring him back.   But yes, it's over the top for sure.  It's all just getting out of hand.  More on the banning of the song here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-illinois-chief-illiniwek-ryan-spt-0827-20170826-column.html

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2017, 08:12:13 AM »
I think these items are now collectible, and much of the interest is from African Americans who are preserving, or just recognizing the past.

I would not have the figurine in my home.  I have seen some interesting pieces of jewelry depicting Africans and they are interesting, Blackamoors.   

If I were say, a history teacher or an art teacher and I was into the study of these decorative arts, then maybe I would own some, to own a little piece of history.

Here's an interesting blog discussing the owner's statue.  (Please don't bug the person, the post is from 2011)
http://myoldhistorichouse.blogspot.com/2011/10/blackamoors-fabulous-or-offensive.html

Images of blackamoor jewelry
https://www.google.com/search?q=google+blackamoor+jewelry&rlz=1CALOEI_enUS702US702&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrtO7SnI7WAhVk94MKHaVJC4EQsAQIJw&biw=1100&bih=647

I think some of it is beautiful!  I would probably be too shy to own any of it, but if you have the right heart, then you should be viewed for who you are not for your things.   

P.S.  I think it's good and interesting we can talk about these things. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:17:22 AM by KBecks »

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2017, 08:59:47 AM »

You seem to have forgotten to answer any of my questions in your response.

Probably because the only people ever offended by political correctness (i.e. being decent humans to everyone) are SWM, but they just don't like to admit it.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2017, 09:02:44 AM »
I had to look up SWM -- Scared White Men? 
But can't we all just get along?

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2017, 09:21:14 AM »

Probably because the only people ever offended by political correctness (i.e. being decent humans to everyone) are SWM, but they just don't like to admit it.

It's interesting that the biggest advocates of so-called political correctness are some of the worst at making offensive comments about whites and Christians.   It's makes it difficult to take you seriously if you think it's ok to offend one group of Americans and not another when it fits more with your narrative.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 09:25:09 AM by GenXbiker »

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
Offensive is in the eye of the beholder. Some people are easily offended, others less so. I remember reading somewhere that Whoopi Goldberg has a place in her house called the Wall of Shame that pieces like this in it along with things like "Whites Only" and other racist memorabilia.

Outside of that context, I would definitely say this is in poor taste and reflects badly upon the person who decorates their home this way.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »

It's interesting that the biggest advocates of so-called political correctness are some of the worst at making offensive comments about whites and Christians.   It's makes it difficult to take you seriously if you think it's ok to offend one group of Americans and not another when it fits more with your narrative.

1) How did I offend you?

2) Your last sentence...is basically...what you've been saying...so...wtf?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »

Name brand syrup? Yes, very offensive

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »
Would it not be offensive if it was part of a rainbow of different races of old ladies holding his various sizes and colors of string?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2017, 10:16:31 AM »
Would it not be offensive if it was part of a rainbow of different races of old ladies holding his various sizes and colors of string?
The offensiveness isn't so much the color as the exaggerated features and historical context.

But maybe less offensive because this would show that the owner is doing it to be creative.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »

1) How did I offend you?

Insults toward any particular race including whites can be considered offensive to those people, although when it comes to liberals, whites and Christians seem to be fair game.  I think the mainstream media feeds into this, and the sheep just follow.

OK, so I can't say the same thing twice?  Wtf??

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2017, 10:51:29 AM »
The offensiveness isn't so much the color as the exaggerated features and historical context.

But maybe less offensive because this would show that the owner is doing it to be creative.

Multiple caricatures of various races . . . so you've got an old jewish lady with a big nose, 'fro and lots of money falling out of her pockets, a native american old woman sitting on the dirt looking destitute with lots of feathers and tassles, a topless generic 'island girl' with grass skirt, the black mammy, and maybe one tall/slender/blue eyed/blonde haired version of whatever Hitler was looking for in his housefrau breeding stock.

Yeah, no.  That still seems pretty fucked up to display in your home.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2017, 11:06:41 AM »

The whole "being offended by political correctness" thing has definitely gotten out of hand. These SWMs are acting like special snowflakes who can't handle it when others say, "Cut that shit out!"

(I'm very offended by the non-PC crowd.)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »
Insults toward any particular race including whites can be considered offensive to those people, although when it comes to liberals, whites and Christians seem to be fair game.

Are you claiming to be...offended?

Damn, the outrage culture is everywhere!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2017, 11:12:29 AM »
Insults toward any particular race including whites can be considered offensive to those people, although when it comes to liberals, whites and Christians seem to be fair game.

At least he's totally self-aware.

It seems most people are too sensitive to things these days.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2017, 11:37:39 AM »
Offensive is in the eye of the beholder. Some people are easily offended, others less so. I remember reading somewhere that Whoopi Goldberg has a place in her house called the Wall of Shame that pieces like this in it along with things like "Whites Only" and other racist memorabilia.

Outside of that context, I would definitely say this is in poor taste and reflects badly upon the person who decorates their home this way.

I think collecting these objects would be interesting.  It tells a story, a terrible story but it's got so much cultural and historical meaning.  It's more interesting to me personally than say something like Art Deco (some people love Art Deco, I'm bored by it, but different people like different things).  I'm not much of a collector, but I could see myself making a collection of these things as a historical study. 

Debonair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DebonairDylan
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »

Multiple caricatures of various races . . . so you've got an old jewish lady with a big nose, 'fro and lots of money falling out of her pockets, a native american old woman sitting on the dirt looking destitute with lots of feathers and tassles, a topless generic 'island girl' with grass skirt, the black mammy, and maybe one tall/slender/blue eyed/blonde haired version of whatever Hitler was looking for in his housefrau breeding stock.

Yeah, no.  That still seems pretty fucked up to display in your home.

Different tastes, that sounds like an interesting art display to me. Kind of like all those old dolls my mother collected, a relic of diffrent times.

About the doll itself, its kind of ugly but interesting from a historical perspective. Kind of like some of the eugenics books I use to have. Granted my limited collectors taste seems are, strange when it's not paintings.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2017, 12:18:34 PM »

1) How did I offend you?

Insults toward any particular race including whites can be considered offensive to those people, although when it comes to liberals, whites and Christians seem to be fair game.  I think the mainstream media feeds into this, and the sheep just follow.

OK, so I can't say the same thing twice?  Wtf??

If someone has a problem with it or thinks it's inappropriate, that is their problem.

So here you are saying that is the offendee's problem, not the offender.  Then you say that "insults toward any particular race...can be considered offensive" with somehow coming up with "whites" and "Christians" being specific targets of the liberal media.

It seems most people are too sensitive to things these days.  This political correctness stuff has gotten out of hand.

It's all just getting out of hand.

All I did was say that presumably you are a Straight White Man (SWM) because you dodged the questions about how you've been judged or offended because of your skin color.  I also said that seemingly the only people upset about the "PC Culture" are straight white men.

You took that to mean I was insulting you for being white and Christian (?).  Nowhere did I say it was "ok to offend one group of Americans" nor did I insult you.  Perhaps the assumption that you are a SWM was an insult and for that I apologize.

I'm really not sure what your beef is.  It sounds like you don't want to be offended for being a white guy (presumably) but you don't seem too keen on cutting down the offensive nature of logos, mascots, etc. for minorities (it's the offendee's problem, remember?).

So basically, this (humor much needed in this thread, imo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6gjqMrOy8
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:20:14 PM by DarkandStormy »

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2017, 12:50:37 PM »
Statue of a weird looking black lady serving up string = offensive

Statue of white Jesus murdered on a cross = not offensive (a gory murder is bad enough, but the dude wasn't even white)

What a world we live in.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »

Statue of white Jesus murdered on a cross = not offensive (a gory murder is bad enough, but the dude wasn't even white)

What a world we live in.

Context changes things.

A kid wearing a bed sheet while marching with your friends trick or treating is a different thing than wearing a bed sheet while marching with your Klan buddies.  Even though the action is effectively the same, they're perceived differently . . . as they should be.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2017, 01:47:44 PM »

What a world we live in.

Context changes things.

A kid wearing a bed sheet while marching with your friends trick or treating is a different thing than wearing a bed sheet while marching with your Klan buddies.  Even though the action is effectively the same, they're perceived differently . . . as they should be.

Yes, I understand that.

Changing Jesus into a white guy doesn't seem to offend many for some reason. Imagine changing other great black/colored people into white people in statues and paintings? I'm sure it would cause an uproar.

My feeble mind is unable to find the logic that gives some things a pass and others a reason for offense and uproar.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
As a SWM (non-Christian) I have not seen anything in here that I would take as an insult directed at SWM.

DM: A) people have not commonly been crucified in a long time.  B) putting religious symbols into the public space can objectionable.  C) Next you will tell me Jesus did not speak English :-)

edit
DM: I took your comment to be more about the murder/blood and less about the color change (despite what this thread is about...).  But I see your point now.  As for why?  I am not sure I have an answer for that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:23:03 PM by AlanStache »

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2017, 02:50:24 PM »

At least he's totally self-aware.

I never said that I was offended.  I said, "Insults toward any particular race including whites can be considered offensive to those people, although when it comes to liberals, whites and Christians seem to be fair game."

That doesn't say that I was offended despite someone who might be trying to insult me.

I also never said I was Christian.  I may or may not be, or maybe I just sympathize with them for all of the anti-Christian chatter I've seen posted on this forum.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2017, 02:57:56 PM »
Would it matter if the owner or maker of the figurine was black? I mean, there really are black people out there in the country too. No reason for every 10 crappy white folk artist there can't be a couple crappy black folk artists making crappy folk art about their people.

Wow, I guess you all know how I feel about folk art now.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »
I never said that I was offended.  I said, "Insults toward any particular race including whites can be considered offensive to those people, although when it comes to liberals, whites and Christians seem to be fair game."

That doesn't say that I was offended despite someone who might be trying to insult me.

I also never said I was Christian.  I may or may not be, or maybe I just sympathize with them for all of the anti-Christian chatter I've seen posted on this forum.

So...you're being offended for "whites and Christians" that might be offended, despite not being offended yourself?

I'm sure they appreciate your defense but are they that sensitive?

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2017, 03:12:47 PM »

Of all the groups who've been discriminated against in this country, you pick the two groups who've experienced the least amount of discrimination to sympathize with.

That's really all that anyone is asking, anyone who is "too PC" for your liking.  Show that same sympathy that you show for those poor, poor WASPs and their "struggle" to people who have experienced actual hardships (i.e. not bashing on a forum) like being denied a job because of their skin color, being paid less than their counterparts for their beliefs, being denied housing because of their skin color, etc. etc.

That you only single out whites and Christians because of "anti-Christian chatter" or whatever "offense" white people have to endure is a joke.  These two groups have suffered nothing compared to minorities, Muslims, Jews, etc.

Do you also sympathize with black people?  I don't know  Do you also sympathize with Jews?  I don't know.  You haven't stated the opposite explicitly, but you've also only called to mind whites and Christians over several posts.

one piece at a time

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2017, 03:36:32 PM »
...now that we have descended from the sensible and innocent question of "what is the social norm in the USA" to absurd question of "what ought to be a social norm" I'll add a 'thought'. The cultural appropriation of European peasant dress by US slave owners is downright despicable. Those people suffered under the yoke of the Roman Empire, Feudalism, Napoleonic wars, two world wars and the music career of David Hasselhoff. Taking European Peasant costume out of context is so gross.

You'll also note that the figurine displays a rather rotund lady sitting down. Why? Why can't this fatso be doing 200lb deadlift? Disgusting. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2017, 05:07:35 PM »
...now that we have descended from the sensible and innocent question of "what is the social norm in the USA" to absurd question of "what ought to be a social norm" I'll add a 'thought'. The cultural appropriation of European peasant dress by US slave owners is downright despicable. Those people suffered under the yoke of the Roman Empire, Feudalism, Napoleonic wars, two world wars and the music career of David Hasselhoff. Taking European Peasant costume out of context is so gross.

You'll also note that the figurine displays a rather rotund lady sitting down. Why? Why can't this fatso be doing 200lb deadlift? Disgusting.

Jonathan Swift you are not.

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2017, 07:09:20 PM »

So...you're being offended for "whites and Christians" that might be offended, despite not being offended yourself?

I'm sure they appreciate your defense but are they that sensitive?

Read the part in bold where you quoted me.  I was not offended, but are you saying that people shouldn't be sensitive to insults or other offensive comments?

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2017, 07:17:42 PM »

Of all the groups who've been discriminated against in this country, you pick the two groups who've experienced the least amount of discrimination to sympathize with.

You're completely missing the point.  I mentioned those groups because they have been the most criticized/insulted in recent years.  It seems to be fair game, and most of that is coming from liberals.  If I read/saw other groups being treated that way so much, I would be defending them as well.  I'm not seeing it - I'm seeing the opposite.  The race card is continuously being played where it doesn't apply.  People don't like Obama's policy, so they must be racist, etc.

That you only single out whites and Christians because of "anti-Christian chatter" or whatever "offense" white people have to endure is a joke.

I never singled them as having had to endure anything as a joke.  I singled them out because they are on the receiving of most insults/criticism from liberals.  So I'm calling liberals out on this.

Do you also sympathize with black people?  I don't know  Do you also sympathize with Jews?  I don't know.  You haven't stated the opposite explicitly, but you've also only called to mind whites and Christians over several posts.

I didn't have a need to mention blacks, Jews, or anyone else in this context when they were not the ones being criticized or insulted.  I don't see anyone here or anywhere else online doing that, of course I don't look for that sort of thing, either.   But I don't have to go looking to see all the negative commentary about whites / Christians.   Also, I've never said I was a Christian, but I'm noting a lot of anti-Christian chatter that has taken place on this forum.  And yes, I sympathize with any peaceful person who has had to endure extreme hardships such as slavery and internment.  Of course.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 07:23:18 PM by GenXbiker »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2017, 08:05:43 PM »
KBecks, you bring up an interesting parallel with the "Blackamoors". TBH even the name reeks of European colonialism and imagery often incorporates servility.

Examples chosen for the Wikipedia article include:

* A man serving emeralds on a giant platter
* "A typical blackamoor sculpture in a servant-role "holding" Morianbron (Blackamoor Bridge) in Ulriksdal Palace, Sweden"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackamoors_(decorative_arts)

Jonathan Swift you are not.

LOL

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!