Author Topic: Is anyone doing the Cross Fit Open this year?  (Read 8037 times)

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is anyone doing the Cross Fit Open this year?
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:49:00 AM »
Just wondering if anyone is doing the Cross Fit 2013 Open?

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
Re: Is anyone doing the Cross Fit Open this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
Yes, I am!

I got 100 on 13.1 (wasn't able to snatch 75 lbs -- I only weight 100 lbs, but this is my goal for next year)

I got 124 on 13.2

This puts me pretty far behind, but I'm having fun.

Bodyweight stuff is my strength, so I'm hoping to see some chest to bar pull ups, handstand pushups, and muscle ups!  :)

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:41:25 PM »
A BW snatch is no joke, good luck you you.

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:26:57 AM »
Way to go Mrs MM! :-)

I also managed 100 on 13.1 (got there with about 7 minutes to spare but can't snatch 35Kg), but did really badly on 13.2 (i.e. 0) as I can't quite jerk 35Kg :-(

I've only been doing Cross Fit for just over 6 months and can see strength is the main thing I need to work on and shoulder mobility, which my coach said is my problem more than lack of strength for getting the bar overhead. (I redid 13.2 with lower weights and got a decent score, but it doesn't count.)

Pretty impressed at all the BW stuff you can do as well! I can't do any of those yet. Pretty close on the pullups but nowhere near on the other two.

Hoping at least one of the workouts will consist only of things I am good at, but it's still useful to see what I need to focus on for the coming year.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »
Great job Shadi76!

This is my third year doing the crossfit open and each time I come out of it with new goals and a newfound excitement for Crossfit.  That's great that you're doing it, even when you're only 6 months in!

I was a gymnast in my younger years, so bodyweight stuff is what I'm used to and what I'm good at (plus, I'm light, which helps).  :)  I started crossfit almost 3 years ago and just got my muscle up recently.  There's always more ways to improve.

I agree that the strength work is the toughest at first, but it's also where you'll see the greatest improvements.  I just recently cleaned my bodyweight, which I was really excited about.  Once you get into it and get focused, there's no stopping you!

On the other hand, I've also seen folks get injured from going too fast at the beginning.  I've never been injured though (knock on wood!).

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 04:06:07 PM »
Thanks Mrs MM :-)

Congrats on your bodyweight clean! The only lift I can do at greater than bodyweight is Deadlift just now. Squat is around 80% of bodyweight. Upper body lifts are more like 60%.  I am definitely going to get focused on the strength side of things after the Open is finished.

I'm loving Crossfit, even though it is harder than anything I have done previously. I used to do a lot of group fitness classes, and because I did Body Pump and Kettlefit with heavier weights than most women in the classes (and some of the guys) I mistakenly thought I was strong. Turns out the best thing I did to prepare myself for Crossfit was Kickboxing as it got me used to doing lots of skipping and burpees :-)

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
Did you beat your score for 12.4 on 13.3 Mrs MM?

I never got to the end of the wall balls (I got 116 reps), which I was a little sad about as I recently mastered double unders. But I did it with a 15lb wallball (we don't have a 14lb one) and I've only ever done Karen once a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure I had to use the 10lb ball for it that time, so I'm counting it as a win :-)

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »
I've just started Cross Fit this year and I have always been SUPER weak. I was always picked last for teams as a kid. My score on 13.3 was a measly 51.

But I'm sticking with it longer and more consistently than other people in my first classes, and this is not the first time I've had to work this hard to catch up to succeed. I'll get there. Already I've hit a PR for highest body weight while fit, so I know I'm getting stronger.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
Did you beat your score for 12.4 on 13.3 Mrs MM?

I never got to the end of the wall balls (I got 116 reps), which I was a little sad about as I recently mastered double unders. But I did it with a 15lb wallball (we don't have a 14lb one) and I've only ever done Karen once a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure I had to use the 10lb ball for it that time, so I'm counting it as a win :-)

I did beat my score.  Last year I got 91.  This year I got 107.  Being short and light is not great for wall ball (although that's really just an excuse).  I was sore for DAYS after.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 06:03:22 PM »
I've just started Cross Fit this year and I have always been SUPER weak. I was always picked last for teams as a kid. My score on 13.3 was a measly 51.

But I'm sticking with it longer and more consistently than other people in my first classes, and this is not the first time I've had to work this hard to catch up to succeed. I'll get there. Already I've hit a PR for highest body weight while fit, so I know I'm getting stronger.

Great job!!  51 is no easy feat.  Your attitude is awesome, which means you will be awesome.  :)

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 05:59:15 AM »
Mrs MM, that's a 17.5% improvement on last year :-) Given that you said you weigh 100lbs I'm guessing you're a fair bit shorter than me (I'm 1.72m, just shy of 5'8).

the fixer, that's great that you are competing already, and I know a lot of people who couldn't do that many wall balls. Actually, the first time wall balls came up in a WOD I had only been doing CF a few weeks and my coach thought I was stronger than I was so gave me the 15lb wallball. It was a circuit with 3 rounds of 4 exercises - 1 minute each. Every single time I got to the wall balls I had about 10 no reps and not a single rep that counted, for all 3 rounds: I lacked the technique and power to get it high enough even once. And that wasn't from a standing start: I thought I was pretty fit already when I signed up.

Mrs MM is right about your excellent attitude :-) Having the belief that you will get there is most of the battle.

Good luck with the rest of the Open :-)

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »
I'm almost 5'3".  :) 

Good luck to you both.  But more importantly, have fun!

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:30:31 AM »

Good luck to you both.  But more importantly, have fun!

That is an excellent point, and something I needed to hear! :-) I have a tendency to take things too seriously and be overly competitive.

I'll be posting another 0 for 13.4 (if I can't quite jerk 35Kg I definitely can't jerk 43Kg) but I'll just do it with a lighter weight and work on my toes to bar.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
That is an excellent point, and something I needed to hear! :-) I have a tendency to take things too seriously and be overly competitive.

I'll be posting another 0 for 13.4 (if I can't quite jerk 35Kg I definitely can't jerk 43Kg) but I'll just do it with a lighter weight and work on my toes to bar.

Phew, so it's not just me who's going to get a 0 for 13.4! 95 lb is about 80% of my 1RM back squat right now, so a 135 lb clean/jerk is almost definitely not happening.

This is one of those days where going to a Crossfit gym is really nice: they'll help me figure out what I should be doing to still have fun with it.

My goal today is to keep good form and not have a sore back tomorrow.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »
Yeah, I have a feeling a lot of folks will be getting a zero on this one.

I managed a score of 10!  Yippee!  My max clean is 100 lbs and I had never jerked 95, but I managed to do it 7 times (3 c&j, 3 toes to bar, 4 c&j) - I took it easy and rested a lot between them.  I was pretty psyched!

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
I was actually really impressed with myself; we started by just practicing clean & jerks and seeing how much weight we could do. I went in figuring I could do 75-85 lb max, but I was able to do two one-rep sets of 95! I think I could technically do a little more, but my form was slipping so I didn't want to push it. For the WOD I stuck with 85.

I never would have guessed that I'd be able to get 95 lb overhead.

I also did my first toes-to-bar (once).

So my scaled score with 85 lb c&j and knees to elbows was 34.

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »

I managed a score of 10!  Yippee!  My max clean is 100 lbs and I had never jerked 95, but I managed to do it 7 times (3 c&j, 3 toes to bar, 4 c&j) - I took it easy and rested a lot between them.  I was pretty psyched!

That's fantastic Mrs MM! :-) So you got a PR and managed to repeat it 6 times! :-)

I was actually really impressed with myself; we started by just practicing clean & jerks and seeing how much weight we could do. I went in figuring I could do 75-85 lb max, but I was able to do two one-rep sets of 95! I think I could technically do a little more, but my form was slipping so I didn't want to push it. For the WOD I stuck with 85.

I never would have guessed that I'd be able to get 95 lb overhead.

I also did my first toes-to-bar (once).

So my scaled score with 85 lb c&j and knees to elbows was 34.

the fixer, that's fantastic! A PR and a new skill :-)

I had no chance of jerking 43.5Kg and I haven't quite got toes-to-bar so had to do knees to elbows and dropped the weight right down to 26Kg (57.5lb) for a scaled score of 42.
Which is the answer to life, the universe and everything :-) Our strongest female at the Box got 36 RX! She is awesome.

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »
I'm taking photos of it! (I am nowhere near in shape enough yet to do the open... next year)

cjottawa, that sounds like a great role to play :-) We don't have anyone taking photos. Well, sometimes our head coach takes a few photos on his mobile phone and puts them on the blog, but they are pretty blurry and poor quality. I might take my camera along next week and stay to photograph the session after the one I go to.

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 04:22:14 AM »
Have any of you done 13.5 yet? I'm feeling pretty gutted as I have a nasty cold and haven't even managed to leave the house for the past 2 days. I should be doing the workout this evening but health-wise it is really not advisable. I would only get 15 at most as  I can't do unassisted pullups let alone C2B ones, and I'm technically disqualified anyway due to scoring 0 for 13.2 and 13.4, but I did want to finish the Open anyway. I'm kind of tempted to just dose up on meds and go in anyway, but I think I would pay for it for the next few days if I did :-(

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »
I found out last night I suck a thrusters. I don't think I've done them before, but I haven't checked my log to confirm that.

I did the workout with 55 pounds (the minimum I could do with droppable weights), but even that was a lot for me, and my form was suffering. I still managed to get a score of 36 along with ring pullups with ground assistance.

Our gym did an automatic second 4 minutes, during which I got a 12. That's supposed to show how much of a power reduction you had from the beginning. Comparing scores with others, mine dropped off in the second half a lot more than most.

My back's a little sore this morning, but not as bad as I had feared.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »

That is key!  Good form is super important.  Once you have that, the rest will come with time and training.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 04:20:42 PM »
Great job everyone! 

I just finished up the open today.  I got a score of 33 on 13.5.  My goal was one round and a bit, so I guess I reached my goal.  Those 65 lb thrusters were feeling WAY heavier than the 55 lbs I usually do.

At least I've got some good goals for this year.  Work on lifting more weight!!  :)

Have you guys seen this web site?  http://www.strstd.com/

It's pretty awesome.  I play around with it sometimes and I'm following the 5/3/1 routine.

See you next year!  ;)

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »
Cool website... so, are you guys "elite" or not? :)  The one rep max calculator looks like it's fairly reliable, but maybe not accurate...  I put in my numbers from my 5s week on my fifth cycle of 531, and it gave me the exact maxes I started out with 5 cycles ago.  My only non-advanced lift is the deadlift, but I knew that already :p

Shandi76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 11:02:10 AM »
Congratulations on finishing the Open :-)

In the end I never made it to Cross Fit to do 13.5 - I'm actually still ill and probably won't get back until Wednesday. We're going to use them as benchmark workouts though so will retest at some point before the next Open.

My main goal going forward is to gain strength/ improve technique. A lot of it with me seems to be poor lat strength due to poor thoracic spine mobility (which has the knock-on effect of causing unwanted flexibility in the lower back at times), so I've got some mobility drills to work on as well as doing 5/3/1.

Really helpful website Mrs MM :-) It's pretty much what we are following for our lifting work at the start of CF except we don't have a day for shoulder press, and we do a max reps at 50% of max after the program on weeks 1 - 3 of the cycle.

Kriegelsspeil, unfortunately I am not "elite" for anything. My results came out as Untrained for Bench Press (!), Novice for Squat, and Intermediate for Deadlift. Hard to say for shoulder press as we usually do push press or jerk. Will test that out when I next get to the gym. So I want to get them all to Intermediate within 9 - 12 months.

Happy Crossfitting folks :-)

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »

That is key!  Good form is super important.  Once you have that, the rest will come with time and training.
I just saw this post at mobility WOD this morning: http://www.mobilitywod.com/2013/04/spinal-loading-error-you-cant-unbend-bent.html

Knowing this explains why I had a harder time keeping good form with the thrusters. Looking through my log, this was the first time I did a movement in a WOD where I can't be efficient if I "reset" after each rep; I had to just keep going and my core muscles must have gotten worn out. Once they let go, I kept trying to restore my form but couldn't do it, probably because I was already carrying the weight overhead or in a front squat. In the future I should just drop the weight if I notice my form has slipped, and try again.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 12:10:18 PM »
Cool website... so, are you guys "elite" or not? :)  The one rep max calculator looks like it's fairly reliable, but maybe not accurate...  I put in my numbers from my 5s week on my fifth cycle of 531, and it gave me the exact maxes I started out with 5 cycles ago.  My only non-advanced lift is the deadlift, but I knew that already :p

Ha!  I'm currently advanced in all lifts except the deadlift (just like you!).  My best lift is the squat, but that's probably because I do it the most often. 

BUT, I have a long way to go (and some weight to gain) if I'm going to be lifting crossfit rx weights.  :)

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »
You guys are so inspirational. I am a pathetic little weakling but someday I'm gonna be big and strong like the Crossfitters, I swear.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »
Here's to us weaklings! We need a better term: "strong someday?"

That site says I'm untrained in everything :/ Gotta keep working! I once saw a sig from a guy on the crossfit.com forum that went something like "to become #1, train like you're #2." The weaker you are, the more motivated you should be to fix the problem.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »
I don't do crossfit.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!