Author Topic: IPCC Climate Report on 1.5  (Read 60031 times)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
Re: IPCC Climate Report on 1.5
« Reply #450 on: February 15, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
I went to a family wedding in the fall and looked into taking the train. It would have taken my entire travel time just to get there. :(

Once you're retired and don't feel obligated to sell your time to a supposedly benevolent master, you can happily take the train and enjoy the ride.  You just have to shift your perspective a little.  Traveling by train becomes part of the trip to be enjoyed, rather than part you're trying to suffer through as quickly as possible to get on to the good parts.

This. And in some cases, it really isn't all that much longer. My husband and I went from Minneapolis to Chicago by train last month. It took about 8 hours. Which is what it would have taken to drive, but without the stress. It took longer than a plane, yes. Except: A plane trip from MSP to Chicago takes about an hour. But you have to count the car travel to the airport, as well as the fact that you have to get to the airport early to go through security. And then it takes about half an hour to board before the takes off. And when you get to your destination, unless you have only carry-on bags, you have to go down to baggage claim and wait for that. And then, since airports are generally far outside the city, you have to get transportation into the city itself from the airport. And then there's the fact that all of this is stressful and unpleasant. Not to mention that the airplane itself is uncomfortable. So, a one-hour trip is actually much longer, and much higher on the unpleasantness factor.

Contrast that with how easy it was to get into the train, how comfortable it was, the fact that it was very low-stress, that the scenery was beautiful, that there was a dining car with good food, and that once we actually got to Chicago we were already in the middle of the city as soon as we arrived. Totally worth it if you have a little extra time.
I really wish there were more trains with sleeper cars. Time spent sleeping in a (relatively) comfortable bed does not count as travel time in my book.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #451 on: February 16, 2019, 08:11:43 AM »
I have really enjoyed the little train travel I have done, and I am very sad that the city I've lived for almost 20 years has no passenger rail at all, nor do any cities within 4 hours' drive of me.  In fact, only one city that I have lived in during my entire life had passenger rail, and those lines didn't lead anywhere that I would have needed to travel (without making a week-long trip that meandered all over the place).  Lack of rail in the U.S. is a major bummer.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #452 on: February 16, 2019, 09:48:01 AM »
Do you mind saying where you live, or what general part of the country?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #453 on: February 16, 2019, 01:10:16 PM »
Do you mind saying where you live, or what general part of the country?

Great Plains.  I did live for about a decade in Tucson in the 90s, and there was passenger rail running from there, but it didn't go anywhere we normally traveled.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #454 on: February 20, 2019, 05:18:07 PM »
And meanwhile in institutional climate-denial land:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/climate/climate-national-security-threat.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

According to a White House memo dated Feb. 14, Mr. Trump’s staff members have drafted an executive order to create a 12-member Presidential Committee on Climate Security that will advise Mr. Trump about “how a changing climate could affect the security of the United States.” The memo was first reported by The Washington Post.

The panel would include William Happer, a Princeton physicist who serves as Mr. Trump’s deputy assistant for emerging technologies. Dr. Happer has gained notoriety in the scientific community for his statements that carbon dioxide — the greenhouse gas that scientists say is trapping heat and warming the planet — is beneficial to humanity.

and

The White House memo notes that multiple scientific and defense reports have recently concluded that climate change poses a significant threat to national security, but it casts doubt on those reports, saying, “these scientific and national security judgments have not undergone a rigorous independent and adversarial peer review to examine the certainties and uncertainties of climate science, as well as implications for national security.”

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #455 on: May 18, 2019, 07:29:56 PM »
The problem isn't the climate change.  The elephant in the room is the size of the human population.  The earth can't sustain 7.5 billion people.

But, nobody wants to discuss it.

Hmmm....is Cache_Stache really Thanos? (hee hee)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: May 18, 2019, 08:55:31 PM »
Impact = population x consumption.

People with low consumption say consumption is the problem. People with high consumption say population is the problem. In both cases, what they are really saying is that the impact is Somebody Else's Problem.

"Someone should do something, but not, of course, me."

I think we can casually dismiss such obviously self-serving arguments. But what we should recognise is that while most of us in the Western world can halve our consumption without much detriment to our lifestyles - and in fact improve it in some ways - within a few months, halving population in a few months would require a nuclear war. So we should begin by working on the consumption side of the equation.

Which, by the way, also saves us money. I believe there is a discussion forum somewhere dedicated to that...?

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #457 on: May 30, 2019, 11:20:39 PM »

People with low consumption say consumption is the problem. People with high consumption say population is the problem. In both cases, what they are really saying is that the impact is Somebody Else's Problem.

I think we can casually dismiss such obviously self-serving arguments. But what we should recognise is that while most of us in the Western world can halve our consumption without much detriment to our lifestyles - and in fact improve it in some ways - within a few months, halving population in a few months would require a nuclear war. So we should begin by working on the consumption side of the equation.

Which, by the way, also saves us money. I believe there is a discussion forum somewhere dedicated to that...?

Beautifully put.

I'm just as annoyed by the argument of individual action vs. government action on climate change. "Individual actions don't matter when corporations can just spew out C02 in massive quantities" is up against "But nothing will ever change if we, individually, won't bother to change". There is room for both sides of that argument to be correct. We need total systemic change AND individual change. At this point, since this issue has been ignored and even worsened since before I was born, we need a complete overhaul of EVERYTHING. Baby steps will not cut it. Conversely, we all need to at least take baby steps so that we can then take big steps and leaps and do the hard work that needs to be done.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #458 on: May 30, 2019, 11:43:40 PM »

Isn't the person with low consumption doing something tho by having low consumption? Do you mean doing something bigger e.g. encouraging other people to have low consumption through whatever method?

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #459 on: May 31, 2019, 03:09:29 AM »
Yes, reducing your consumption is doing something.

That it may not have a broader impact is irrelevant. In the days of segregation, the white person who treated black people with respect as individuals made no broader impact. A police officer in a corrupt department who refuses bribes makes no broader impact. The liquor store owner who refuses to serve the alcoholic makes no broader impact. Yet these were and are the right thing to do.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #460 on: May 31, 2019, 08:01:49 AM »

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #461 on: August 19, 2019, 08:08:09 AM »
The problem isn't the climate change.  The elephant in the room is the size of the human population.  The earth can't sustain 7.5 billion people.

But, nobody wants to discuss it.

Hmmm....is Cache_Stache really Thanos? (hee hee)

What is your message you're trying to communicate?  I don't understand your comment.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #462 on: August 19, 2019, 08:13:32 AM »

That is a simplistic view and binary.  There are two more possible choices:

1.  Some believe the population is the problem and that consumption is a problem and both need to be addressed.

2. Some believe the population and consumption are not a problem.

I take number 1 as my view point.

Don't pigeon hole people.  It makes me want to throw you into the "Let's make the world a binary place and make it as divisive as possible pigeon hole".

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #463 on: August 20, 2019, 08:50:38 PM »
It doesn't matter if population is a problem or not, because short of nuclear genocide there's nothing anyone can do about population today. Whereas you can do something about consumption. Today.

That's why people focus on population. So they've an excuse not to reduce their consumption.

I'm interested in what we can today. We've spent the last 30 years talking about what we could do tomorrow, and it's got us nowhere.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #464 on: August 21, 2019, 07:40:57 AM »
It doesn't matter if population is a problem or not, because short of nuclear genocide there's nothing anyone can do about population today. Whereas you can do something about consumption. Today.

That's why people focus on population. So they've an excuse not to reduce their consumption.

I'm interested in what we can today. We've spent the last 30 years talking about what we could do tomorrow, and it's got us nowhere.

People were talking about population in the 70s.   It was called ZPG. I guess people went with the same argument then.   /s

But actually there is lots we can do about population. Women with more education and more personal power (I.e. access to contraception and abortions) have fewer children and have them later.  So people have been doing something, just not as much as is needed.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #465 on: August 21, 2019, 10:00:22 AM »
Population is easy to control.  Release some weaponized anthrax, problem solved.  It's more difficult to control in ethical ways.  :P

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #466 on: August 21, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »
Population is easy to control.  Release some weaponized anthrax, problem solved.  It's more difficult to control in ethical ways.  :P

And we are back to the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse (war, famine, plague and wild beasts).  Seriously, we do things to help, or nature will do it for us.  We already have wars, famines, plagues.  The wild beasts are having a hard time controlling our numbers, although I am sure all the hungry polar bears losing their sea ice would be happy to eat more tourists in Churchill. 

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: August 22, 2019, 06:00:25 PM »
But actually there is lots we can do about population. Women with more education and more personal power (I.e. access to contraception and abortions) have fewer children and have them later.  So people have been doing something, just not as much as is needed.
I said: nothing we can do about population today. The education and empowerment of women - something never advocated by ZPG types, since they tend to be high-consumption middle-aged and older males - takes a generation, 20-30 years to have a significant effect. And then it just levels off population, it doesn't shrink it.

Whereas we can shrink our consumption today.

Now, the education and empowerment of women can and should happen at the same time, because whatever it does or doesn't do to pollution etc, it's the right thing to do. But this doesn't give us a pass to keep on with our happy motoring and producing vast quantities of rubbish.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #468 on: August 23, 2019, 08:08:08 AM »
I said: nothing we can do about population today. The education and empowerment of women - something never advocated by ZPG types, since they tend to be high-consumption middle-aged and older males - takes a generation, 20-30 years to have a significant effect. And then it just levels off population, it doesn't shrink it.

Now, the education and empowerment of women can and should happen at the same time, because whatever it does or doesn't do to pollution etc, it's the right thing to do. But this doesn't give us a pass to keep on with our happy motoring and producing vast quantities of rubbish.

You kind of missed my point. If we had taken ZPG seriously back in the 70s, what would global
Population be today?  China obviously did. I did. And it isn't just number of children, it is parental age. Population grows faster if parents are young, i.e. a short generation time. Any population ecology textbook can explain this.   

So yes we need to reduce consumption,  but we also need to do things which encourage low reproductive rates. Having 6 or 8 or 15 children makes perfect sense when child mortality rates are high and a couple may end up with 2 surviving children. Not so much sense having 3 or 4 or 5 children when they all survive to adulthood. Our biology  and our technology are not working well together at this time.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #469 on: August 23, 2019, 02:57:23 PM »

You kind of missed my point. If we had taken ZPG seriously back in the 70s, what would global
Population be today?  China obviously did. I did. And it isn't just number of children, it is parental age. Population grows faster if parents are young, i.e. a short generation time. Any population ecology textbook can explain this.   

So yes we need to reduce consumption,  but we also need to do things which encourage low reproductive rates. Having 6 or 8 or 15 children makes perfect sense when child mortality rates are high and a couple may end up with 2 surviving children. Not so much sense having 3 or 4 or 5 children when they all survive to adulthood. Our biology  and our technology are not working well together at this time.
The one child policy was enacted in 1979 and Chinese population will peak in a few years, around 2023. Enacting a one child policy today, would the worldwide population peak 40 years later? Around 2060?

But lets examine ZPG. China is #1, by country (not by capita) for emissions (27.2%) and has had less than ZPG since 1979. USA is the second largest, 14.6%, and has a growth rate of 0.7% so the population is growing slowly; cumulatively that's a majority of emissions and it averages as under ZPG. The majority of the worlds emissions and yet when combining the population growth, its ZPG.

Here's the UN take on the futility of ZPG in mitigating climate change:
Two-thirds of the projected growth of the global population through 2050 will be driven by current age structures. It would occur even if childbearing in high-fertility countries today were to fall immediately to around two births per woman over a lifetime.
- note most of the population growth is in low emitting countries, except for 78 million new Americans. Unfortunately an american emits far more than most other people.

In other words, even if we enacted ZPG today, we would still see growth.

As an extreme, if Americans adopted a lifestyle such as India, that would be a 90% reduction in GHG. 13% of the worlds emissions, just by reducing consumption. If India is not your liking, if Americans were like Germans or Japanese, the worldwide emissions would drop 7%.

What amount of reductions would be achieved from ZPG by 2050? According to the UN, none, worldwide emissions would increase.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: August 23, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
Population be today?  China obviously did.
"New data on carbon shows that China's emissions per head of population have surpassed the EU for the first time."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29239194

Yeah, okay. That worked.

"While the per capita average for the world as a whole is 5 tonnes of carbon dioxide, China is now producing 7.2 tonnes per person, to the EU's 6.8 tonnes. The US is still far ahead on 16.5 tonnes per person."

For reference, Australia and Canada are at about 20 tonnes per person. Low population, high per person consumption countries have a lot of people who say, "well, obviously high population is the problem, which is to say: really, it's not my problem."

Note: sustainable emissions are about 1 tonne per person.

Happy motoring!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #471 on: August 23, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »
Population be today?  China obviously did.
"New data on carbon shows that China's emissions per head of population have surpassed the EU for the first time."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29239194

Yeah, okay. That worked.

"While the per capita average for the world as a whole is 5 tonnes of carbon dioxide, China is now producing 7.2 tonnes per person, to the EU's 6.8 tonnes. The US is still far ahead on 16.5 tonnes per person."

For reference, Australia and Canada are at about 20 tonnes per person. Low population, high per person consumption countries have a lot of people who say, "well, obviously high population is the problem, which is to say: really, it's not my problem."

Note: sustainable emissions are about 1 tonne per person.

Happy motoring!

If I understand correctly how they do the calculations,  those per capita numbers include everything, including industry. Which means China's industrial output increases their per capita numbers.

I know Canada's horrible numbers have a bunch of causes - cold climate, industry with aging infrastructure,  long distances, the Alberta tar sands, plus many more.  We also had a Conservative government that was into climate change denial, was basically into neglect of environmental science.   The Liberal election in 2015 started to reverse some of this, but it has been a struggle.  Plus you get rural massive opposition to windfarms, at least in Ontario, because the first ones were so badly planned. It's a mess.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #472 on: August 24, 2019, 08:39:19 AM »
The conservatives in Ontario are currently led by a man who doesn't believe in climate change, and has a mandate to reduce public transit funding and increase ease of personal automobile use.  He has decreed that our city cannot tax gasoline to pay for transit.  He has refused to participate in our countries carbon pricing plan.

It's hard to get ahead on the environment when half of the people running the country are telling folks that there's no reason to conserve, and making it cheaper/easier to waste resources.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #473 on: August 24, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
The conservatives in Ontario are currently led by a man who doesn't believe in climate change, and has a mandate to reduce public transit funding and increase ease of personal automobile use.  He has decreed that our city cannot tax gasoline to pay for transit.  He has refused to participate in our countries carbon pricing plan.

It's hard to get ahead on the environment when half of the people running the country are telling folks that there's no reason to conserve, and making it cheaper/easier to waste resources.

He is so petty he wants stickers on gas pumps (negative ones, of course) about the carbon tax.  As if he is our Supreme Leader.  And in a province with a large francophone minority, and a huge immigrant population in its largest city, he is very anti-minority languages.

Are enough of us interested in the upcoming federal election to start a new thread on Off Topic?  Or do we wait until the writ is dropped?

Spoiler: show
 Plus it would be educational for the Americans on here to see another system, equally flawed but in a different way, have an election. 

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
« Reply #474 on: August 24, 2019, 12:24:35 PM »
I would like that off topic thread. I think there is a real chance of a minority government, and power to the smaller parties. Interesting times ahead.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #475 on: August 27, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »
I'm an American, and I would lurk the hell out of a Canadian politics thread!  I'm always embarrassed by the asymmetry of how much my colleagues know about politics in the US versus what I know about politics in their country, and I do actually make an effort!  And because we're neighbors, I feel like Canada is either mythologized or demonized by Americans depending on their political preferences -- a more nuanced view would benefit everyone.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #476 on: August 27, 2019, 09:33:00 AM »
I'm an American, and I would lurk the hell out of a Canadian politics thread!  I'm always embarrassed by the asymmetry of how much my colleagues know about politics in the US versus what I know about politics in their country, and I do actually make an effort!  And because we're neighbors, I feel like Canada is either mythologized or demonized by Americans depending on their political preferences -- a more nuanced view would benefit everyone.

We're sorta America lite.  Same language, similar culture . . . but typically a bit less extreme on things.  Also we pronounce 'about' correctly.  :P

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #477 on: August 27, 2019, 03:18:57 PM »

We're sorta America lite.  Same language, similar culture . . . but typically a bit less extreme on things.  Also we pronounce 'about' correctly.  :P

::American brain explodes in red, white, and blue fireworks::

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #478 on: August 27, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »

And "buoy"?  Please tell me you pronounce that correctly too.

ETA And "route".
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:36:15 PM by former player »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #479 on: August 27, 2019, 05:38:36 PM »

ETA And "route".

Soooooo OT here. Of course we pronounce words properly, the CBC had a huge influence on Canadian pronunciation. 

Buoy is basically boo e (hard e).   Route is root.  Route is not rout.  About rhymes with rout, not boot.

We sound a bit like people from upper New York State, who of course listened to CBC radio.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #480 on: August 27, 2019, 10:51:02 PM »
We sound a bit like people from upper New York State, who of course listened to CBC radio.

As someone originally from the New York hinterlands, can confirm. (I like to describe where I'm from as "Almost-Canada" -- Toronto was closer to my hometown than New York City.)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #481 on: August 28, 2019, 06:42:37 AM »
PSA - a Canada election thread has been started (thank you Stashasaurus) so we won't clutter up this thread with election talk.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #482 on: August 28, 2019, 07:49:45 AM »

ETA And "route".

Yes, we do.

:P

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #483 on: September 02, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »
Back on topic.    ;-)

I thought this was an interesting article explaining why environmental issues have become politicized.  They were not always.

https://newrepublic.com/article/154879/misogyny-climate-deniers?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tnr_daily&fbclid=IwAR3X0RInf6W8dSSOuBJMSDg5rpxxo0hSGb-ojAHtzXkex9YdOuACNAWMLn8